John L. Baird
John L. Baird, ex-state treasurer of Wyoming; banker and stock raiser; (Rep.) b. Oct. 12, 1857, Lafayette county, Wisconsin; s. of John F. and Amanda J. (Criss) Baird; educ. pub. schls. Lafayette county, Wis.; state normal school, Plattville, Wisconsin; engaged in farming until 1876; went to Deadwood (Black Hills) South Dakota, 1876, and clerked in store until 1878; established telephone system in Black Hills, 1879-84; located in Sundance, Wyoming, district, 1884, and engaged in stock raising and ranching; in mercantile business in dun dance, 1888; removed to Newcastle, Wyo., 1889, and established branch store; cashier First Nat. Bank, Newcastle, 1904; president same bank since; pres. Bank of Upton (Wo.); pres. First National Bank of Worland (Wyo.); is now engaged extensively in livestock business in Weston county; county treasurer; Crook county, Wyo., 1887-9; county treasurer, Weston county, Wyo., 1899-1903; city councilman, Newcastle, 1889-97: mem. Wyo. State senate, 1905-9; state treasurer, Wyoming, 1911-15; mem. 32 deg Mason, Shriner; K. of P.; Elks. Address, Newcastle, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson (Publ. 1915) Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
John Wilfred Blackstone
JOHN WILFRED BLACKSTONE (Rep.), of Shullsburg, La Fayette county, was born at White Oak Springs, December 22, 1835; received a partial academic education at Beloit College and Brown University; is a farmer and lawyer, was county judge from 1862 to ’68, and district attorney from ’73 to 1875; member of assembly for 1879, and was elected state senator in 1879, receiving 4,199 votes against 2,739 for Chas. Pole (Dem.), and 470 for W. McGranahan (Greenbacker). [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Gerald Raymond Brines
PFC Gerald Raymond Brines was a Wisconsin farm boy called upon to serve his country in the Vietnam War. Jerry was born Jan 26, 1947 in Shullsburg, Lafayette County, Wisconsin the youngest of three to Orville Corwin Brines and Daisy Marie Doubler-Brines. Their father raised many types of livestock and dairy cows on their Dunbarton farm near Shullsburg, WI on the border with Illinois. "We lifted hay bails and pitching manure," his brother Thomas recalled. "We had to take care of the horses and livestock. We had a lot of chores before you go to school and after you come home. I enjoyed it but not at the time. My brother was more of a farmer than I was." Thomas remembered how his younger brother was dedicated to farming.
"He would have been a good farmer. He won an American Farmers Award. He was well liked and a hard worker," Thomas said. "He was stronger than I was physically."
He was a junior member of the Holstein Friesian Association of America. In 1965 while a senior at Darlington High School and a member of the Future Farmers of America, Jerry earned a state farmers degree. It is given annually to outstanding boys in agriculture. By the time Jerry graduated high school in 1965 he reportedly rented 360 acres from his father on a 50-50 basis. The 19-year-old ran a dairy operation with 28 registered and grade Holstein dairy cows and 13 crossbred sows. He also was working to add an addition to the dairy barn to double its capacity. In a 1966 newspaper article he attributed his success to his father's advice and by "not buying all new equipment." He also said he was concerned more boys "aren't interested in the increasing opportunities of agriculture."
"He was supposed to take over the farm but he got drafted," Thomas recalled.
At 19 he was selected by the local draft board for the U.S. Army to serve during the Vietnam War and trained at Fort Lennonwood, Missouri.
"He didn't complain or anything," Thomas said. "He accepted his responsibility."
In fact, his parents were supportive of the war effort to stop the spread of communism around the world.
Thomas was on a student deferment. "I have a guilty conscience that I didn't go instead of him," Thomas said.
While stateside Jerry was promoted to Private First Class and rated a machine gun "Sharpshooter." He started his tour of Vietnam May 25, 1967. PFC Brines served with Company D, 12th Cavalry, First Cavalry Division (AMBL). He was killed July 17, 1967 on a search and destroy mission for Operation Pershing a counteroffensive against the Vietcong in South Vietnam, according to the military. His body was recovered and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Warren, IL.
When his nephew Robert Kail was 6 years old he remembered when the service men drove up to the old farm house in Wisconsin to tell his grand parents uncle Jerry was killed in combat.
"I can still picture myself, standing, under the windmill and then running, to the door, of the old, farm house," Kail said.
Kail remembered how Jerry took him for rides on the farm tractor. "He would talk to me. He taught me how to ride Star, the pony. He was the best to me," he said. "I can still, picture him in my mind, as he walked, out the door to report, for duty."
Both Thomas and Kail traveled to Washington D.C. to see his name on the wall. "Uncle Jerry, is not forgotten and he, is missed to this day," Kail said. Soon after, Jerry's parents received an anonymous letter from a female friend and former high school classmate.
"Jerry was the kind of boy that everyone knew and liked - friendly, courteous, honest and helpful. Of all the boys I have known before and since, Jerry perfectly fit the description of a true gentleman. We all miss Jerry terribly and will continue to miss him. When he left us the whole world grew a little darker," the Aug 9, 1967 letter read in part.
His commanding officer Capt Jerry H. Hyatt wrote his parents a letter as well.
"I sincerely hope the knowledge that Jerold [sic] was an exemplary soldier and died while serving his country will comfort you in this hour of great sorrow. (Jerry's) enthusiasm and devotion to duty marked him as an outstanding soldier and, as such, he commanded the respect of his superiors," Hyatt wrote in part.
PFC Brines was awarded the Purple Heart in 1967 and is forever remembered on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington DC. [Source: contributed by Jon Brines]
THOMAS DRUMMOND, Chicago, was born at Bristol Mills, Lincoln county, Maine, October 16, 1809. His paternal grandfather emigrated from Scotland about the year 1760, and settled in Bristol before the breaking out of the revolutionary war. The mother of Thomas Drummond was a daughter of Henry Little, of New Castle, Maine, who descended from the early settlers of New England. His father was James Drummond, who was a farmer, but followed the sea for a considerable period of his life, and for some years represented his native town and county in the legislature of Maine. Living on the sea coast, the son of a seaman, surrounded by maritime associations, it is not wonderful that the subject of this sketch early wished to become a sailor. His father was peremptory in his refusal to gratify the boyish longing, and the son was several times sorely tempted to run away, as so may lads had done before him. His sense of filial duty, however, was stronger than his love of adventure; but those mental experiences left their furrows in his heart, implanting a never-failing attachment to the profession, which has since shown itself in his complete mastery of all the leading points involved in maritime law, and caused his decisions in admiralty to be regarded as indisputable, and seldom appealed from or reversed. He received his first instruction in the little school-house of his native village, and the structure is still standing on the same spot as that on which he learned his alphabet more than sixty years since. During his boyhood, he attended academies in Maine, at New Castle, Monmouth, Farmington, and Gorham. He entered Bowdoin College at Brunswick, Maine, in 1826, and graduated in regular course at the institution in 1830. His business training commenced immediately thereafter. Leaving Maine in September, 1830, for Philadelphia, the commenced the study of law in that city in the office of W. T. Dwight, who was a son of President Dwight, of Yale College, and subsequently he was in the office of T. Bradford, in the same city, where he remained until March 1833. In May, 1835, Mr. Drummond left Philadelphia to come to Illinois and settled in Galena, where he was soon recognized as a lawyer of unusual and solid attainments, great perseverance and untiring industry. For fifteen years he practiced his profession at Galena with success, and was engaged in many important causes. On the death of Judge Pope he was appointed, in February 1850, by President Taylor, to succeed him in the office of judge of the United States district court for the district of Illinois. In 1854 Judge Drummond removed to Chicago, and held the office of district judge of the United States for the northern district of Illinois until December 22, 1869, when he was appointed judge of the seventh circuit of the United States, which comprises the States of Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. Judge Drummond has not mingled to any great extent in party politics, and has held political office but once. Formerly a whig, he subsequently became a republican, to which party affiliation he still adheres. The office above alluded to was that of member of the United States house of representatives for 1840 and 1841, representing the counties of northern Illinois, comprising what has been known as the Galena district.
He was married at Willow Springs, LaFayette county, Wisconsin, to Delia A., second daughter of J. P. Sheldon, of that place, and has two sons and four daughters. Judge Drummond, together with his family, belong to the congregation of St. James’ Episcopal church, Chicago.
By a long and laborious career on the federal bench, Judge Drummond’s fame as a jurist is completely established. None know him but to respect him for his learning and to love him for his noble qualities of mind and heart. For over thirty years he has held a place on the bench. Throughout that long period his career has been signalized by unremitting and arduous labor. His ambition and aim have been to conscientiously and justly perform the duties of his high position, and that he has attained the rank of a great and good judge is the tribute universally paid to him by the bar. His judicial opinions have always been distinguished for their strength of expression, and vigor of reasoning, and are part of the jurisprudence of the county. Endowed with a vigorous and rugged intellect, prompted always in this judicial and personal action by the strongest convictions of duty, Judge Drummond has never failed to put the stamp of his individuality upon whatever work he has had to do. His expositions of the law in all its branches are universally accepted as learned, able and authoritative, and by the bench and bar of the country he is recognized as one of the veterans in the federal judiciary. His inherent sense of justice is one of the veterans in the federal judiciary. His inherent sense of justice is one of his strongest characteristics. When dealing with legal questions, in words that are always significant and weighty, he summarily brushes away the chaff that may have accumulated in discussion, and grasps the great or essential point upon which a decision of the question or case must turn. Every litigant is assured of impartial and patient consideration of his case when he enters Judge Drummond’s court. Patience and kindness and courtesy characterize his demeanor on the bench, and the most painstaking care and deliberation characterize his investigation of every cause brought before him for judgment. Fearless in the discharge of every duty, upright in every act and purpose, he has maintained inflexibly the judicial character in its highest dignity and purest quality. Venerated by the bar and beloved by his brethren of the bench, it is their hope and wish that many years of health and happiness may yet be added to his long and honorable life. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
CHARLES DUNN, Belmont, was born December 28, 1799, at Bullett’s Old Lick, Bullett county, Kentucky, which is about sixteen miles east from Louisville. He was the eldest of a family of five sons and four daughters, and at the age of nine years was sent to school at Louisville for about nine years, when he was called home and sent on a business tour to Virginia, Maryland and Washington. Upon his return home he read law a short time with Worden Pope, a distinguished lawyer of Louisville; and afterward he proceeded to Frankfort and continued his law reading for about two years with the eminent John Pope, then secretary of state, and who was the first law professor in the Transylvania University at Lexington.
He then went to Illinois and arrived at Kankakee, then the capital of the state, in May 1819, where he completed his studies under the direction of Nathaniel Pope, district judge of the United States for the district of Illinois. In 1820 he was admitted to the bar, Sidney Breese being admitted at the same time. He then commenced practice at Jonesboro, Union county, Illinois. In 1821 he married Miss Mary E. Shrader, daughter of Judge Ostro Shrader, who had been a United States Judge in Missouri territory. He remained in practice at Jonesboro for several years, and then removed to Golconda, Pope county, Illinois. For two years he was engrossing clerk for two sessions for the House of Representatives of the Illinois legislature, and for five years chief clerk of the House. In 1829 he was appointed, by Governor Ninian Edwards acting commissioner of the Illinois and Michigan canal, and with his associates on the commission, Edward Roberts and Dr. Jane, surveyed and platted the first town of Chicago.
The first town lots of this embryo metropolis were sold by the commissioners in behalf of the state in the latter part of 1829, and the sales continued in 1830 and 1831, during which years the survey of a canal and railway line was made and reported. In the early part of 1832 Indian troubles commenced and a requisition was made upon the state authorities for troops to engage in service against the hostile Indians led by Black Hawk. Three brigades of volunteers responded to the call, and Mr. Dunn entered the service as captain of a company which he raised in Pope county, where he then resided. His company was assigned to the second regiment, which was commanded by Colonel John Ewing, and attached to the first brigade, which was commanded by General Alexander Posey.
Soon after an engagement with the Indians, Captain Dunn became the victim of a blundering mistake on the part of a sentinel, in what is now the town of Dunn, in Dane county, by which he was severely, and at first it was thought mortally, wounded. On approaching the sentinel, by Captain Dunn, the sergeant of the guard and the relief sentinel, the sentinel on duty, instead of hailing them as he should have done, became alarmed and fired at the group at the distance of about ten paces, severely wounding Captain Dunn in right groin. He was taken back to Fort Dixon, where he was confined by his wound until after the war was ended by the battle of Bad Axe. As soon as he was sufficiently recovered he returned to his home, and in the spring of 1833 acted as assistant paymaster in paying off the first brigade, and during that year resumed the practice of his profession. In 1835 he was elected a member of the house of representatives of the state legislature from Polk county, and was chairman of the committee on the judiciary during the session. Upon the recommendation of the Illinois delegation in congress, and the delegate for the territory of Wisconsin, George W. Jones, he was appointed by President Jackson, in the spring of 1836, chief justice of Wisconsin. He arrived at Mineral Point July 4, 1836; was then and there sworn into office, which he held until the organization of the state judiciary. The last term of his court was held at Mineral Point in October 1848. He was a member of the second constitutional convention from La Fayette county, was chairman of the committee on the judiciary of that body, and took a leading part in framing the constitution of the state, which was adopted by the people. Subsequently he was elected state senator for the district composed of the county of La Fayette, and served in that capacity during the sessions of that body in 1852 and 1853, and was chairman of the committee on the judiciary during both of those years. On the expiration of his term of office as chief justice he returned to the practice of the law in La Fayette and adjoining counties. Judge Dunn was regarded one of the most eminent among those who have been in the profession of the law in Wisconsin. While chief justice his judicial studies were especially onorous, as, during the greater time he was on the bench, his district, as circuit judge, was the most populous and important in the territory, and produced, it is believed, the greatest amount of litigation. His judicial and official duties were performed with rare ability, fidelity and integrity; and during his residence of thirty-five years in Wisconsin, always commanded, both in public and private life, the confidence and esteem of all classes of people. To near the time of his death in 1872, at the advanced age of seventy-two, he continued in vigorous practice of his profession at Belmont, and was at that time the oldest lawyer in the state. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882)]
James Samuel Gallagher
JAMES SAMUEL GALLAGHER (Dem.), of Gratiot, was born at Braddock’s Fields, Pennsylvania, May 21, 1845; received a common school education; is a dealer in farming stock and grain; came to Wisconsin in 1850, and located at Gratiot, where he has since resided; had held various local offices, as assessor, justice of the peace, and has been a member of many democratic committees; was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 1,186 votes against 905 for John Bray, republican, 62 for T. H. Sheldon, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 495; transcribed by Susan Geist]
Hamilton H. Gray
DARLINGTON: Hamilton Hunter Gray, son of John Gray, a manufacturer and physician, and Clarinda Montrose Thompson, was born at Madison, Madison County, New York, June 29, 1827. His maternal grandfather. Captain Ebenezer Thompson, served in the regular army for eighteen years. His maternal grandmother was a Putnam, a near relative of General Israel Putnam. In 1829 John Gray moved to the site of Factoryville, Oneida County, and started that village by building the first cotton factory in the Mohawk valley. Two years later he removed to Monroe, Michigan, and in 1836 to Boone County, Illinois, where he practiced medicine and built mills. Later he went to California, and with Governor Bigler laid out the town of Crescent City. Hamilton left home at thirteen years of age and went to New Diggings, Lafayette County, Wisconsin, in 1843, when only sixteen years old. Engaging in mining he took out eight hundred dollars worth of lead ore, all of which he converted into silver and deposited in a cotton handkerchief, and, to use his own words, "has never felt so rich since." With this amount of money in his possession he started for Belvidere, Illinois, where he spent three months in a school conducted by Margaret Fuller. He then gave the same length of time to study at Beloit, Wisconsin.
In 1846 Mr. Gray received an appointment to West Point, but immediately abandoned the idea of having a military education, and commenced reading law with John M. Keep, of Beloit, a land dealer and an attorney. At the end of three months Mr. Keep became an invalid, and Mr. Gray took charge of his land operations and conducted them for three years. He then hired out one year to a land company, organized at Beloit and operating in southwestern Wisconsin and Iowa. In January 1850, he purchased the site of Darlington, and in June of that year, with one-fourth interest in it, platted and laid out the village, having the complete management of the business, with headquarters at Mineral Point, then the seat of the United States land office. At the same time he was conducting two stores at Beloit, and doing a heavy milling business there, sending flour by teams to Racine and Southport (now Kenosha), and thence to England. He continued to deal in lands, horses, cattle and other property, operating with the money of eastern capitalists, and doing well for all parties. From the time Lafayette County was cut off the southern part of Iowa County Mr. Gray was engaged in locating the county seat for about ten years. At first it was at Shullsburg, but was afterward moved to Darlington, and here remains. During part of the time that the county seat contest was in progress Mr. Gray was editing newspapers. For a short time he conducted two of opposite politics, but both devoted to the interests of Darlington. He edited a newspaper as late as 1864. He has never abandoned the land business, and is now dealing in Iowa and Nebraska lands, and is one of the most efficient operators in his part of the country. Mr. Gray was a county supervisor for several years; district attorney one term; member of the assembly in 1856 and 1858, and of the senate in 1869 and 1870; he was one of the regents of the State University two terms; and was the democratic candidate for lieutenant-governor in 1869. He has been a life-long democrat, outspoken and unwavering, and in 1872 attended the national convention which nominated Horace Greeley for the Presidency.
The wife of Mr. Gray was a daughter of Rev. Stephen Peet, of Beloit; their marriage occurred May 1, 1849; they have had twelve children, eight of whom are now living. The two eldest daughters, Harriet M. and Martha Ann, are married. The former is the wife of William H, Armstrong, of Irving, Kansas, and the latter, of C. S. Montgomery, of Lincoln, Nebraska. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
H. H. Gray
H. H. Gray, Darlington, was born at Madison, Madison county, New York, June 29, 1827, and is a son of John Gray. He left home at thirteen years of age and came to the lead-mining region of Wisconsin in 1843, where he speedily made some money and devoted himself and his means to acquiring an education, attending school in Belvedere, Illinois, and in Beloit, Wisconsin. In 1846 he received an appointment to West Point, which he declined, and commenced reading law with J. M. Keep at Beloit, but subsequently devoted himself to land operations, mercantile and other business at Beloit and Darlington. For ten years Mr. Gray took an active and leading part in procuring the location of the county seat of La Fayette county at Darlington, during which time he was editing newspapers devoted to the interests of the county seat question. Besides attending to his extensive personal business, which has of later years been dealing largely in western lands, he has found time to fill offices of importance; was county supervisor several years, district attorney one term, member of the assembly in 1856 and 1858, and of the senate in 1869 and 1870, and a regent of the State University two terms. In 1869 he was the democratic candidate for lieutenant-governor and in 1872 was a delegate to the liberal national convention that nominated Horace Greeley for President. In 1849 Mr. Gray married a daughter of Reverend S. Peet, of Beloit, and has eight children living. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
William S. Hamilton
Very few of the early settlers of the lead mines are better known than Colonel William S. Hamilton. Few people at this day know that he commenced his career in Illinois as the aid on the staff of Governor Coles, with the rank of colonel, which he afterward always bore, and was subsequently a member of the state legislature from Sangamon county. We extract what E. B. Washburn says of him: A word as to William S. Hamilton may not be amiss, as he was one of the earliest settlers of Illinois, and lived in the state during the administration of Governor Coles. He was appointed by the governor as his aid-de-camp, with the rank of colonel, soon after his installation into office. He was the son of Alexander Hamilton, and his name was William Stephen, not William Schuyler Hamilton, as written by Governor Coles. He was born in New York, August 4, 1797, and was admitted to the West Point military academy in 18 14, and resigned in 1817. He left his home in New York, and settled at an early day in Sangamon county, Illinois. He was United States deputy surveyor of the public lands, and in that capacity surveyed the township in which Springfield now stands. In 1824 he was elected a member of the house of representatives from Sangamon county. In 1827 he emigrated from Illinois to the Fever river lead mines. He commenced mining for lead ore at a point soon known as Hamilton's Diggings, now Wiota, in La Fayette county, Wisconsin. I knew Colonel Hamilton well from 1841 to 1849, when he emigrated to California. He occupied a prominent position in southwestern Wisconsin, and was a well known whig politician. He was a member of the house of representatives in the territorial legislature of Wisconsin in 1842 and 1843. He died in Sacramento, California, October 9, 1850. For nineteen years neither stone nor slab marked the spot where reposed his ashes. When the careless grave-digger threw his shovelfuls of earth on his coffin, little could he have thought he was covering the remains of a son of Alexander Hamilton, in my judgment the greatest of all American statesmen. Colonel Hamilton was brave, generous, hospitable, and humane, unusually quick in perception, and decided in action. In 1879 Cyrus Woodman, of Cambridge, Massachusetts, who was long a resident of Mineral Point, and a devoted friend of Colonel Hamilton, purchased a lot in the cemetery of Sacramento, and marked the grave with granite head and foot stones. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Carrie May Harding
Mrs. Carrie May Harding, the wife of W. L. Harding, Lieutenant Governor of Iowa, was born in Dunbarton, Wis., Nov. 17, 1879. She is the daughter of H. H. Lamareaux and Margaret Annetta Phoenix, both natives of Wyoming county, Penn. She received her education at Morningside College, Sioux City, having been graduated from that institution in music and expression. On Jany. 9, 1907, she was married at the home of her parents at Meriden, Ia.., to W. L. Harding, an attorney by profession. Lieut. Gov. Harding is the son of Mr. and Mrs. O. B. Harding, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Osceola county, Iowa, in 1874, being among the early settlers of that part of the state. He was graduated from the law school of the State University of South Dakota, in 1905. He immediately opened a law office in Sioux City and is now the senior member of the firm of Harding & Oliver. He was elected Representative in 1906 and re-elected in 1908. When George W. Clarke was elected Governor of Iowa, he was elected to the office of Lieut. Gov. Since 1906 Mr. and Mrs. Harding have spent a part of the year in Des Moines. Mrs. Harding is a member of the Board of Directors of the Legislative Ladies’ League, and has been both prominent and popular in the social life of the capital city. She is a charter member of the Sioux City Woman’s Club. She is a home lover and does fine needlework and china painting, and has for a creed, "East or west, home’s best." [Source: The Blue Book of Iowa Women (1914) part 1; Press of the Missouri Printing and Publishing Company, Mexico, Mo.; transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
MARVIN HOLLISTER, Shullsburg, has been a member of the bar for over thirty years. He was born at Pawlet, Rutland county, Vermont, and is a son of Hartley and Lucy Hollister. He was a student at West Granville Academy, and Troy Conference Academy, Poultney, Vermont. He studied law with Isaac W. and Oscar F. Thompson, Granville, Washington county, New York, and was admitted to the bar at Albany, January 15, 1847. Coming to Wisconsin he commenced practice in La Fayette county and was district attorney from 1868 to 1870. He is prompt and energetic and said to be a good lawyer. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]
James H. Knowlton
James H. Knowlton was born at Canandaigua, New York, August 22, 1813. He was self-educated. Coming to Wisconsin at the age of twenty-six he resided successively at Janesville, Mineral Point and Shullsburg. At the latter place he prepared for the bar and was admitted to practice, which he commenced at Shullsburg. In 1856 he removed to Janesville, practiced his profession until in 1861, when he changed his business to Chicago and his residence to Wheaton. He was probate judge, on its first organization, of the county of La Fayette; was a member of the assembly for the years of 1855 and 1856; was a presidential elector-at-large in 1856; after removing to Janesville he was again elected to the assembly in 1857. Judge Knowlton acquired his greatest distinction in this state as one of the attorneys on the defense with Jonathan K. Arnold in the Hubbell impeachment trial before the senate in 1853. He was afflicted with the unfortunate habit of indulgence in intoxicating drinks, and had the peculiar faculty of discriminating between the adulterated and the pure. In a suit before him, as judge in St. Croix county, to recover for a bill for adulterated liquor, he charged the jury that pure liquor is a wholesome beverage and promotive of longevity, but no man could recover judgment in his court for a demand based on a sale of adulterated and poisonous liquors. In making his will in 1875, leaving about three thousand dollars, he added the following: I have labored too continuously for others, and neglected the collection of many demands justly due me. The result is evidenced by my estate. Sickness and disease have, the greater portion of my life, attended me with great fidelity and I have suffered much from pain. That will cease; when it does I urgently request that no prayer be made, and that no sermon be preached or delivered over my remains by anyone who professes to believe that there is an all-wise, all-powerful, and infinitely just Being who now is, and always has been, abundantly able to prevent human suffering and all wrong-doing, but who does nothing, and never has done anything, to stay or diminish either. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Charles H. Lamar
DARLINGTON: The subject of this sketch is of Huguenot descent, his ancestors coming to this country at early day. He is the son of Nathan and Margaret (Harper) Lamar, and was born in Queen Ann County, Maryland, October 3, 1819. He lost both parents in infancy and lived with a farmer until sixteen years old. In 1835 he went to Louisville, Kentucky, and was a clerk there for four years. He started for Wisconsin late in thee autumn of 1839, with a stock of goods, but was frozen in at Warsaw, Illinois, on the Mississippi River, and early the next spring reached White Oak Springs, then in Iowa, now in La Fayette County, and opened the first store in the county. He traded several years there and at Cassville, Grant County, conducting other business at the same time. In 1842 he built the first furnace ever put up at Cassville, used for that place and the Beetown diggings. In 1844 he ran the steamer New Haven from St. Louis northward, making a few trips to the point where St. Paul now stands, there being no town then on the river north of Prairie du Chien. The next year he opened a store at Shullsburg, continuing the one at White Oak Springs, and operated in trade at these places until 1853, removing his family the year before to Gratiot's Grove. He had a contract on the Illinois Central railroad with Mr. F. A. Strocky in 1853 and 1854, and in 1856 purchased the steamer Hamburgh, and ran her one season. In 1857 he started in the livery business at St. Paul, and two years later, with two other gentlemen, he had a contract on what was then called the Minneapolis and Cedar Valley railroad. In 1860 Mr. Lamar returned to Gratiot's Grove and commenced farming and stock dealing. He went south the following winter as far as Arkansas, and filled a large contract to build levee on the Mississippi River, and in 1871 purchased and enlarged the Russell House at Darlington; removed his family hither, and is still proprietor of the house, making a popular landlord.
Mr. Lamar has been engaged in other enterprises besides those enumerated. He solicited stock for the Galena and Chicago Union railroad ; had stock in the first telegraph company which ran a line through this part of the State, and has aided in other important enterprises. He has witnessed the development of the upper Mississippi valley, and taken pride in the wonderful progress of the great Northwest. He voted for two State constitutions in Wisconsin and one in Minnesota. During Governor Dewey's administration he was on the governor's staff. Mr. Lamar was postmaster at Gratiot's Grove about five years, and has held a few municipal offices, but has never sought such responsibilities. He was originally a whig, and upon the dissolution of that party joined the democratic. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
Mr. Lamar has a third wife. His first was Mary Berry, of Gratiot's Grove; they were married in 1842, and she died of consumption in 1850; of five children born to them only one is now living. The second wife was Elizabeth Scales, sister of Colonel S. H. Scales, of White Oak Springs; they were married in 1851 and had two children; she and both children, and two of the former children, died of cholera in 1854. His present wife is a daughter of Colonel Scales, their union taking place in 1855; they have had six sons, five of whom are now living. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Hon. Henry S. Magoon
DARLINGTON: Henry Sterling Magoon, late member of congress from the third Wisconsin district, and the first man born in the State to appear as a representative at the national capitol, is a native of Lafayette County, and was born in the township of Monticello, one mile from the Illinois line, January 31, 1832. His parents were Richard H. and Elizabeth (Kinney) Magoon. His paternal great-grandfather was a soldier in General Schuyler's division, and assisted at the capture of General Burgoyne's army in October 1777. Richard H. Magoon was born at Salem, Washington County, New York, March 9, 1799. At seventeen years of age he moved to western Illinois, near Belleville, and there studied and practiced law until 1824, when he removed to Missouri. In 1828 he settled in Wisconsin, and erected a smelting furnace at Blue Mound, near Madison. He settled at Monticello in the autumn of 1829. In 1854 he moved to Scales Mound, Jo Daviess County, Illinois, and died in 1875, aged seventy-seven years. He was a man of great energy, strong will and firm integrity, and much esteemed by the old settlers in his part of the State. The mother of our subject is living with her son in Darlington. She is the daughter of Hon. Louis Kinney, who for many years was a judge and prominent citizen of central Ohio. At the age of fifteen, Henry entered Mount Morris Seminary, Illinois, and prepared for college, and afterward attended the Western Military College at Drennon, Kentucky, graduating with the highest honors of his class June 23, 1853. He subsequently attended the Montrose Law School at Frankfort, Kentucky. He was appointed professor of ancient languages in the Nashville University, Tennessee, in 1855, and two years later returned to Wisconsin and began the practice of law at Shullsburg, building up a good business in a short time. He removed to Darlington in 1864.
He is a very close student, and has made all his acquirements, not by intuition, but by earnest and steady application. Being a native of the State, and a man of fine talents, good attainments and an unblemished character, his constituents have taken pride in electing him to offices of responsibility and prominence. He was district attorney in 1859 and 1860; was a member of the State senate in 1871 and 1872, and chairman of the joint committee of investigation on the Dalles bill, and chairman of the joint committee on general laws; and was elected to congress in 1874, being one of the youngest members from the West of the forty-fourth congress. He served on the committee on education and labor, and on several special committees, being very industrious and diligent to represent and attend to the wants of his constituents.
Mr. Magoon has been a republican since 1860. He was originally a whig, but voted for Stephen A. Douglas in 1860.
He is a Royal Arch Mason; has been a Good Templar since there was such an organization in the States, and his predilections are toward the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Magoon married Miss Belle L. Smith, at Buckingham, Tama County, Iowa, on the 22d of October, 1871. They have two sons and one daughter.
Mr. Magoon has a large, well-selected law library, by far the most valuable one in Lafayette County, and also a choice literary library of about four thousand volumes in all. At no period of his life has his mental activity been greater than it is now. He is a growing man, and should his life be prolonged, will be likely to make yet more honorable history. It is understood that he is engaged, during his leisure from professional pursuits, in writing a history of southwestern Wisconsin, which will no doubt prove interesting and valuable to the people of that section, if not to the general reader. He has a fine literary taste, and writes with much care and terseness. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
HENRY S. MAGOON, Darlington, was born in the present township of La Fayette county, Wisconsin, January 31, 1832. His parents were Richard H. and Elizabeth Kinney Magoon. Henry S. commenced his education when five years of age, by attending a boarding school at Gratiot’s Grove Village, in his native county, and at eight years of age had made some progress in Latin, and other studies, and became familiar with the outlines of Biblical English and American history, the life of Napoleon and Plutarch’s Lives. Excessive devotion to study undermined his health, and, at that early stage of his life, he was taken from school, and put to outdoor employments, until he was sixteen, when he was placed in Mount Morris Seminary, Illinois, where he was prepared for entering college. Leaving that institution in 1851 he entered the Western Military College at Kentucky, where he graduated June 23, 1853, with the highest honors of his class. In 1854 he attended the law school at Frankfort, Kentucky, and in 1855 and 1856 he was professor of languages in the Nashville university in Tennessee. Returning La Fayette county, Wisconsin, in 1857, he commenced the practice of law at Shullsburg in the summer of that year, and built up a good business in a brief time. In 1859 and 1860 he was district for La Fayette county, and was a member of the state senate in 1871 and 1872. In that body he was chairman of the committee on general laws, and chairman of the special select joint committee of investigation on the noted Dalles bill. He was a member of the national house of representatives in 1875 and 1876, where he served on the committee on education and labor. Mr. Magoon is an ardent and working republican, a Royal Arch Mason, and his religious predilections are town the Methodist Episcopal church.
In October, 1871, he married Miss Isabella L. Smith, at Buckingham, Iowa, and they have two sons and two daughters. When serving in the state senate Mr. Magoon gave close and conscientious attention to the business before it; was one of the best debaters in that body, and unsurpassed in logical and classical diction. The same diligence and exactness in the performance of duties marked his career in congress. With four clerks and himself constantly employed, he did an amount of work during his two years’ term, rarely exceeded by even an old member of congress. He is the first native of Wisconsin who has represented the state at the national capitol. He made no effort for second term, but issued a masterly address to his district declining to contest for a second nomination. Possessed with ample means, built up by his own life-long labor, Mr. Magoon has gathered together a well selected law and literary library, comprising over four thousand volumes. Of eminently scholarly tastes, his time, not devoted to business, is employed in literary pursuits, and it is understood is preparing a history of Southwestern Wisconsin, which he is capable of making a great value and interest. Few of the prominent and public men in this state unite the amiability of disposition and quiet and courteous demeanor with the subject of this sketch. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
George Alpheus Marshall
George Alpheus Marshall, Darlington, was born at Northumberland, in Coos county, New Hampshire, February 17, 1836. His father’s name was Caleb Marshall; the maiden name of his mother was Laura Franklin Waters. Among his ancestors were Benjamin Franklin and General Israel Putnam of revolutionary memory. In 1852 his parents removed to St. Johnsbury, Vermont, where they lived until the death of his father, in 1866. His mother is still living at the advanced age of eighty-three years. While at St. Johnsbury, he was employed in the scale manufactory of E. & T. Fairbanks & Company. In 1855 he went to Johnson, Vermont, where he was prepared for college in the Lamoille county grammar school. In 1857 he entered the University of Vermont, at Burlington, and was graduated with honor in 1861. He immediately came to Wisconsin, and during the fall was principal of the high school at Sheboygan. Meantime he had commenced the study of the law, and continuing it in the office of Ellis & Jones, prominent attorneys of that city, he was, on June 9, 1862, admitted to the bar by Judge David Taylor. He went from Sheboygan to Galena, where he opened an office in August of that year. November 20, 1862, he was united in marriage to Miss Miriam H. Cutler, of Burlington, Vermont. She is a sister of H. C. Cutler, M.D., widely known as a successful physician and influential citizen of Dodgeville, in this state. At that time she was visiting at the residence of her cousin, Mrs. Bean, at Waukesha, where their marriage was celebrated by Bishop Kemper, in St. Matthias church. They have two children: Mary Florence, born July 26, 1865, and Francis Cutler, born March 26, 1867, both born in Galena. In July, 1867, owing to the poor health of his wife, he removed to Darlington, Wisconsin, where he has since remained in the active practice of his profession. In 1873 he determined to add the business of abstracting titles to his law practice; and he has now the only complete set of abstracts of real estate titles in La Fayette county. This has been made wholly under his personal supervision, and is a model of accuracy and completeness. In July, 1881, he formed a partnership with P. H. Conley, under the name of Marshall & Conley. He has paid little attention to politics, never having been a candidate for any political office. He was elected district attorney on the republican ticket in 1868, and county superintendent of schools in 187 1. He is now city attorney of Darlington. While living at Galena, his Alma Mater conferred upon him the degree of A.M. He has always taken an active interest in literary pursuits, and is correspondent of the Philological Society of England; he is president of the Literary Club and of the Dramatic Association of Darlington. [The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark]
Edwin H. McFarland
Edwin H. McFarland, one of the early settlers and now one of the leading ranchmen in the neighborhood of Yampa, Routt county, was born near Darlington, Fayette county, Wisconsin, on January 24, 1857, and is the son of John and Sarah A. (McKee) McFarland, natives of Kentucky, whose final earthly home was in Iowa, whither they moved in 1864. The father was a successful merchant and farmer, a zealous Democrat in politics and an active Odd Fellow in fraternal life. They had nine children, of whom two, Emma and Jennie, died, and Robert A., Samuel B., William P., Edwin H., John B., Charles N. and Mrs. David Bartlett are living. The parents were Methodists. The mother died in 1890 and the father in 1902. Edwin remained at home and assisted his parents until he reached his legal majority, then in 1878 began life for himself as a farmer and stock-grower. He had received a limited common school education, but was further prepared for the battle of life by a thorough knowledge of farming acquired on his father’s farm and under the instruction of that estimable and progressive man. His farming operations in 1878 and 1879 were not profitable owing to the prevalence of hog cholera, which destroyed his stock, and the ravages of the chinch bug, which destroyed his crops. In 1880 he moved to Colorado and located at Breckenridge, where he devoted his energies to prospecting and mining with but little capital but fair success. This he continued until 1883, when he moved to his present location in company with nine other colonists. These men were all good friends, and determined to decide a friendly rivalry for the choice of ranch lands by a game of cards. Mr. McFarland’s location thus secured was one of the best. He has added to his original entry until he now owns, together with his wife, eight hundred and eight acres of tillable land, with a plentiful supply of water, his being the second right on the creek, and is also the sole owner of the Roberta reservoir. Here he carries on an extensive ranching and cattle industry, hay and cattle being his staples, and grain and vegetables being produced in abundance. His improvements are good, his land is well cultivated, his cattle industry is vigorously managed and every element of profit in his work is made serviceable. The ranch is ten miles south of Yampa, and is widely known as one of the most desirable in that neighborhood. Mr. McFarland is essentially a self-made man and his standing and prosperity are the results of his own native force and industry. He is popular throughout the county, always winning and holding friends by his sterling worth and pleasant manner, and receiving general commendation for his progressiveness and enlightened public spirit. In fraternal relations he is connected with the Masonic order and the Odd Fellows, and in political relations he is stanch Democrat. On October 28, 1902, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Alice Wilson, a native of Oak county, Missouri, at the time a widow with two children, James and Roberta Wilson. Mr. and Mrs. McFarland have two children, their son Don C. having been an early settler in this region, and Fanny A. Mr. McFarland has always been earnestly devoted to its best interests and has given freely of his time and energy to promote them, actively engaging in all commendable undertakings for the development and advancement of the section, and aiding ever in arousing public sentiment in this behalf. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado (Publ. 1905) Transcribed by Anna Parks]
BERNARD MCGINTY (Dem.), P. O. address, Calamine, was born at Buck Mountain, Carbon county, Penn., April 16, 1851; received a common school education; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1834, and settled in the town of Kendall, where he has since resided; was elected chairman of the town board of supervisors in 1876, and has held various other local offices; was assembly man 1878, and an unsuccessful candicate for assemblyman in 1879; elected assemblyman for 1880 by 930 votes against 659 for John Rudd, Republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
Milton Orelup Nelson, B.L.
Born in the town of Wayne, La Fayette County, Wisconsin, September 24, 1859. Brought up on a farm, he attended a district school in summer until he was ten years of age, and in winter until he was fifteen. At the age of nineteen he taught a district school, and at twenty was principal of a graded school at Albany, Wisconsin. Studied advanced mathematics and elementary Latin at home, and entered Lawrence University in 1880, there remaining to the end of his sophomore year, during which he took first mathematical and literary prizes. In 1882, entered U. W. junior class, modern classical course, graduating two years later. Was a member of Hesperia, and her president in 1884. From 1884-86, Mr. Nelson was principal of the high school and superintendent of the city schools at New Richmond; from 1886-91, editor of the Wisconsin Prohibitionist, afterward the Northwestern Mail, at Madison; in 1891 he removed to Minneapolis, and was reporter on the Mississippi Valley Lumberman until March, 1893, when he became the Minneapolis representative of the Chicago Northwestern Lumberman (now American), and of the Chicago Farm Implement News, at the same time being local editor of the Minneapolis Commercial Bulletin; in the fall of 1898 he became the managing editor of the Mississippi Valley Lumberman, and staff correspondent and special writer for the Chicago papers above mentioned, also a special writer on the Minneapolis Northwestern Miller and Furniture News, which is his present work. Mr. Nelson has published a few trade pamphlets, and has now in preparation two small books on allied topics. In 1891 he was chairman of the State central committee of the Prohibition party of Wisconsin; in 1894 was nominee on the Prohibition ticket for State senator of Minnesota, and in 1896 for mayor of Minneapolis. Mr. Nelson married Miss Annie Marion Henry (U. W., special '84), and has one child. [Source: The University of Wisconsin: its history and its alumni (1836 – 1900) Edited by Reuben Gold Thwaites -pages 732-736 (1900) submitted by FoFG]
was born in La Fayette County, Wisconsin, July 17, 1859. His parents were William and Anna (Dalton) Newton. He was married July 13, 1890 to Lillian Goodrich, daughter of Edson and Evaline (Phillips) Goodrich. They had six children: May, born May 11, 1891; William E, August 01, 1893; Ruth, August 19, 1894; Harry, June 30, 1901; Evaline, January 15, 1905; Opal, June 29, 1908. Mr. Newton went to Macon County, Missouri with his parents when ten years old, living there on a farm till grown. He attended the public school, later taking a course in the State Normal School at Kirksville. After leaving school he was in the West a few years, then came back to Kansas where he farmed for fifteen years. In 1900 he went to Macon County, remaining there on a farm til 1903, then he moved to Gibbs, going into the hardware business. He is still so engaged there. Mr. Newton is a Republican, takes a great interest in politics, and belongs to the I.O.O.F. lodge. [Source Info: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) Submitted by a FoFG]
JOHN O’NEILL (Dem.), of Shullsburg, was born in Douglas-town, Miramichi, New Brunswick, October 18, 1839; received a common school education; is engaged in farming and mining; came to Wisconsin in 1846 with his parents and settled in La Fayette county; went to California in 1852, and remained there until 1858; he was chairman of his town board in 1872 and ’73; was elected member of assembly for 1882, and re-elected for 1883, receiving 1,054 votes against 928 for George Proctor, republicans, and 45 for Francis Craig, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 495; transcribed by Susan Geist]
Philo A. Orton
PHILO A. ORTON, Darlington, was born in Hamilton, New York, March 24, 1837. His parents were Philo A. Orton and Nancy C. Orton. His father died at Darlington, Wisconsin, July 12, 1872. He was a man of very considerable culture and of unswerving integrity. His mother is still living. The family is an old Connecticut family, descending from Thomas Orton, and Englishman, who emigrated to this country, landing at Charleston, Massachusetts, in 1640. The family finally located in Connecticut, and were largely represented at Woodbury, in that state. Thomas Orton, the grandfather of Philo A. Orton, removed from Connecticut about the year 1800 to Hamilton, New York. The father of the subject of this sketch removed with his family from New York to Wisconsin in 1850, first locating at Beloit. In 1855 he removed to Darlington, Wisconsin, where he died, and where Philo A. Orton has ever since resided. His education was principally at the common schools. He attended Beloit College for about one year, in 1851 and 1852, and Madison University, in his native town, one year, in 1856 and 1857, designing to make civil engineering his profession. The general suspension of all railroad enterprises in 1858 induced him to abandon his former purpose of becoming a civil engineer, and in 1858 he commenced the study of law in the office of James R. Rose, at Darlington. In 1859 he was admitted to the bar, and has been constantly in practice since that time at Darlington. His success in his profession has been very marked. For twenty years he has had a large and lucrative legal practice. For many years past he has had a law partner, Mr. C. F. Osborn. He was married January 27, 1862, to Miss Sarah M. Osborn, daughter of Captain Sylvester W. Osborn, one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Darlington. His wife is a most estimable lady. They have two children: Susan, ten years, and Robert Eugene, eight years of age. Mr. Orton was a democrat before the war, a war democrat during the war, and acted with that political organization until 1879, when he refused to support the democratic state ticket then in nomination. In 1880, early in the presidential campaign, he publicly declared his intention to support the republican ticket, and worked hard on the stump in and out of the state for the election of Garfield and Arthur. In 1861 he was democratic candidate for attorney general of Wisconsin. In 1870 he was the democratic candidate for circuit judge, and though he ran far ahead of his ticket, was defeated. In 1876 he was democratic candidate for representative in congress, and was again defeated. In 1869 he was elected county judge of La Fayette county, and served in that office four years, declining a renomination. Since 1874 Mr. Orton has been connected with the La Fayette County Bank, at Darlington. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]
Sylvester W. Osborn
DARLINGTON: Sylvester Webster Osborn, a native of Delaware County, New York, and a son of Samuel and Polly (Webster) Osborn, was born July 1, 1812. His maternal ancestors are noted for their longevity, his grandfather living to be nearly one hundred and two years old, and his mother is now in her ninety-fifth year. She is in good health, writes a steady hand, and her mind is perfectly sound. She resides in Conneaut, Ohio. Sylvester lost his father when six or seven years old, and for several years lived with different families in the beech woods of Ashtabula County, in northern Ohio. When he was fourteen his mother married a second husband and he lived with his stepfather on a farm at Jefferson, in the county just named, until of age, receiving only a limited common school education. In 1835 Mr. Osborn married Miss Julia M. Gardner, of Kingsville, Ashtabula County, where he was engaged in the milling business. At the end of five or six years went to Ashtabula village and resumed the same business, and in April, 1851, settled in Darlington, Wisconsin. Here at first he superintended the building of a flouring mill for Messrs. Keep and Lynd, the first mill of the kind erected in the place. He operated the mill for these parties until the autumn of 1862, when he enlisted in the 16th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, and entered the service as captain of company I. He participated in the battles of Shiloh and Corinth, and after about one year resigned on account of ill health. Returning to Darlington he was engaged in farming one season, and then resumed the milling business, working four years for Allen Warden. Since that time he had charge of the county poorhouse about six years. He spent eight months in Texas in 1876, building iron bridges at Seguin and Helena, and in February 1877, received, unsolicited, the appointment of postmaster.
Mr. Osborn was a member of the general assembly in 1865, and served as chairman of the military committee.
He has always been a strong opponent of human oppression, and early became a member of the liberty party, voting for James G. Birney for president in 1844. He attended the first republican State convention held in Wisconsin, and has acted with that party ever since that time.
He has long been a member of the Baptist Church.
He has four children, all married, and all well settled in life. Sarah M., the eldest child, is the wife of Judge P. A. Orton, of Darlington; Julia M. is the wife of Dwight W. Hodge, of Buffalo, New York; Homer S. is a physician, living at Mineral Point, Wisconsin; and Charles Francis is a lawyer, living at Darlington. Mr. Osborn has seen great changes since he settled in Darlington in 1851. Of those who then lived in the place, only one besides himself remains; while the site which was then covered with wheat and oat fields, is now a city of twenty-five hundred inhabitants. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Philo A. Orton
DARLINGTON: The subject of this biography is a son of Philo A. Orton, senior, a tanner and currier by occupation, and Nancy G. nee Collins. He is a native of the Empire State, and was born at Hamilton, Madison County, March 24, 1837. The Orton family, of which he is a member, were among the early settlers of New England, Thomas Orton, the pioneer, coming from England in 1640, and settling in Connecticut. He married Mary Pratt, of Windsor, Connecticut, and they both died at Farmington in that State. The father of our subject in 1839 moved with his family to Eaton, only a few miles from Hamilton. In 1850 he removed to the West and settled at Beloit, Wisconsin, and five years later removed to Darlington, where he died July 12, 1872. His widow is still living with her son in that place. Our subject spent a year in the preparatory department of Beloit College, giving especial attention to the study of mathematics and branches of the physical sciences, supplementing these studies with a year's attendance at Madison University, New York, there fitting himself for a civil engineer. This was during the years 1856 and 1857, a period ending in great financial depression, when railroad building came to a halt, and many of the older civil engineers were thrown out of employment. On this account, and also by reason of the fact that he had a partiality for the law, he in the spring of 1858 commenced legal studies, and was admitted to the bar at Shullsburg, then the county seat of Lafayette County, in 1859. He has practiced in Darlington since that date, and has been quite successful, both professionally and financially. His business became so extensive and burdensome, and he was so overworked, that in 1874, in order to lessen his labors, he established a private bank in connection with George S. Anthony, under the firm name of P. A. Orton and Co., and since that date he has given comparatively little attention to his profession. His high standing as an attorney may be inferred from the fact that in 1861 he was the candidate, on the democratic ticket, for attorney general of the State. He was prosecuting attorney for Lafayette County in 1863 and 1864, and county judge from 1870 to 1874. He was a candidate for circuit judge in 1870, and for member of congress in 1876, but the judicial and congressional districts being strongly republican, he was defeated.
Mr. Orton has always been a democrat, and in 1864 attended the national convention which nominated General McClellan for the Presidency. He is a Knight Templar in the Masonic order. A believer in the general doctrines of Christianity, he is a regular attendant of the Baptist Church, of which his wife is a member. As a business man he is known for his uprightness and fair dealing, and everywhere maintains an irreproachable character.
On January 27, 1862, he was married to Miss Sarah M. Osborn, daughter of Sylvester W. Osborn, now postmaster at Darlington, and by her has two children. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Col. Daniel M. Parkinson
Daniel M. Parkinson was born in Carter County, East Tennessee, Aug. 1, 1790, where he resided until 1818, when he removed to Madison County, Illinois, and settled at a point twenty mile east of St Louis. Remaining in that place two years, he removed to Sangamon County, and settled on Rock Prairie, four miles east of Springfield. Here he remained until the spring of 1827, engaged in farming, when he removed to the lead region of Wisconsin; and soon after settled at Mineral Point, where he became the third householder. In 1833 he entered a quarter section of land five miles southeast of Mineral Point, where he subsequently erected the residence in which he died. Mr. Parkinson took an active part in the Winnebago and Black Hawk wars. He was a member of the legislative assembly, 1836-38, 1840-41, the first of which was the first Territorial legislature, which convened at Belmont. Mr. Parkinson's district consisted of what is now Iowa, Lafayette, Richland, and Grant Counties, and is at present represented by ten members. He was a member of the first Constitutional Convention, and in 1849 was a member of the first State legislature. He died at his residence in Lafayette County, Oct. 1, 1868, in the seventy ninth year of his age. His portrait is in the library of the State Historical Society. [Source: "An Illustrated History of the State of Wisconsin"; By Charles Richard Tuttle; Publ. 1875; Transcribed and donated by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
David S. Rose
DAVID S. ROSE, Darlington, was born June 30, 1856 at the village of Avon, now town of Darlington, La Fayette county. The names of his parents were J. R. and Phebe A. Rose. He was admitted to practice June 30, 1876, at the June term of the circuit court of La Fayette county, for the year 1876, by Judge J. T. Mills. He studied his profession with M. M. Cothren and J. R. Rose, of the firm of Cothren & Rose. He practiced from January, 1878, to February, 1879, at Belmont, and from that time he has been associated with his father, J. R. Rose, at Darlington. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]
James R. Rose
JAMES R. ROSE, Darlington, was born in Delaware county, New York, September 18, 1817, and received his education in that state. Subsequently he studied law in Otsego county, and was admitted to the bar of the supreme court in Albany. He was clerk of the assembly in 1844, 1845 and 1850. In 1851 he came to Wisconsin and settled in La Fayette county, in the practice of the law: is the oldest lawyer in that county, and has been district attorney two terms. His son, D. S. Rose is his partner in the law business. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]
THOMAS H. SHELDON (rep), of Darlington, was born May 2, 1825, in Detroit, Mich., had a common school education; is a f(armer; came to Wisconsin in 1835; held various local offices; was elected assemblyman for 1830 by 994 votes against 737 for L. E. Johnson, Democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnn Wilke]
J. S. Waddington
J. S. WADDINGTON, Argyle, was born at Stockton, New York, November 12, 1831. As early as 1839 he came to the Western states. Up to the time of his removal he had attended the common schools in his native town, and while in the west he was sent as a student to the academy at Belvidere, Illinois. He first came to La Fayette county in 1842, but did not make a permanent location in Wisconsin until 1846, passing two years of the interim at his former home at Belvidere. He has been elected to several township offices, such as those of secretary and treasurer. He was elected county judge of La Fayette county in the spring of 1876, and still occupies the position, his term not expiring until 1882. Mr. Waddington has been a successful merchant of Argyle, and has earned the reputation of being an efficient and popular county judge. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]
DARLINGTON: The Wardens were among the very early settlers in New England, the original family coming to this country in the second or third vessel after the Mayflower. A generation or two later, members of the family found their way into the State of New York. The father of our subject, Allen Warden, was living in Sempronius, Cayuga County, when the son was born, November 12, 1812. The Wardens, though not a very numerous family, are found in most of the States of the Union. Some of them spell the name Worden. Commodore Worden is a descendant of the same ancestor as the subject of this sketch. The mother of Satterlee was Sally Satterlee, and her father was a major in the continental army. Allen Warden, a miller and general contractor, moved to Auburn at an early day, and there the son attended a common school, finishing his education at a high school in Geneseo, Livingston County. In 1834, having previously had some experience in the business, commenced milling for himself in Auburn. In 1840 he went to Clarksville, Tennessee, and built the first flouring-mill having a smut machine in the State, and manufactured choice merchant flour, and converted wheat into something more than a bartering cereal. He remained there until 1853, and then sold out and spent a year or more in traveling, and in 1856 settled in Darlington, Wisconsin. Here he commenced operations by purchasing J. M. Keep's flouring-mill, which he operated for six years; then built a larger one ten miles below on the Pecatonica, which he still owns.
Meantime Mr. Warden has had other enterprises on his hands, the most important one being in Kansas. In 1874 he went to Irving, Marshall County, on the Big Blue River, and succeeded in building a dam at that point, an undertaking which skillful engineers had regarded as impracticable. A company from western New York had preceded Mr. Warden, taking a civil engineer with them, and after making a careful examination, abandoned the idea of securing waterpower at that point. The dam which Mr. Warden built marked an epoch in the history of Irving which is now regarded as the handsomest town in the State. Up to a recent date Mr. Warden has lived a very busy life, and has succeeded in his several undertakings. His home in Darlington is very pleasant, a large brick house, standing near the center of an entire square, with primeval forest trees, transplanted evergreens and other sylvan adornments surrounding it.
In politics Mr. Warden was originally a whig, and of late years has acted with the republicans. While residing in Tennessee, in 1853, he disposed of his property there and returned to the North, because he saw that a civil war was approaching, predicting at that early date, eight years before it came, that it was inevitable. While a resident of New York, in 1837, he was appointed by Governor Marcy brigadier general of the seventh brigade of infantry, and served about three years. On July 19, 1832, he was married to Miss Harriet Randall, of Cortland, New York, daughter of General Roswell Randall, and a sister of Hon. Henry S. Randall, formerly secretary of state of New York. They have had ten children, five of whom are now living. A promising son, Randall, a member of the Wisconsin State University, was drowned in the Pecatonica River while bathing, August 21, 1876. The only son living, James S., is an attorney and banker at Irving, Kansas. One daughter, Elizabeth W., graduated at New Haven, Connecticut; another, Harriet, at Ann Arbor, Michigan; and the other two, Caroline Merriweather and Sally, have not finished their education.
Mr. Warden has a dark complexion, gray eyes, and a good head of snow-white hair; is six feet and two inches tall, weighs two hundred and sixty-four pounds, and stands as erect as in early manhood. He has a very robust appearance, a symmetrical form, and strangers would single him out as a man of mark. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Major General C. C. Washburn
General Washburn was born in Livermore, Maine, in 1818. His grandfathers were soldiers in the war of Independence, one of them serving through the whole war. General Washburn removed to Wisconsin in March, 1842, and settled at Mineral Point, where he engaged in the practice of the law. In 1854, he was elected member of Congress from the district in which he resided, than composed of nearly one half of the State. He was re-elected twice, and in 1860, declined a further nomination.
In October, 1861, General Washburn was commissioned as Colonel of the Second Wisconsin Cavalry; an organization authorized by the War Department, and proceeded to the field in Missouri, in March 1862. In June, 1862, he was appointed Brigadier General, and with part of his own regiment and a battalion of Illinois cavalry, joined the army of General Curtis, at Jacksonport, Arkansas. At that time Memphis was the southern limit of the Union lines on the Mississippi. With 2,500 cavalry, General Washburn made a forced march of sixty miles and took possession of Helena, Arkansas, and opened communication with Memphis. He commanded the post of Helena until November, 1862, when he moved with 2,000 cavalry to the rear of the rebel army, then in the vicinity of Abbieville, Miss., opposing the southward movement of General Grant's army. The rebels abandoned their position and fell back. At Oakland he encountered and defeated the rebel General Whitfield, with a brigade of Texas troops.
General Washburn was assigned to the duty of opening the Yazoo Pass, and on the 22d of February, 1863, passed the first boat through to the Cold Water. In March, 1863, he was commissioned Major General, to rank from November 29th, 1862, and was ordered to take command of all the cavalry forces in West Tennessee, with headquarters at Memphis. In May, he was ordered with two divisions of infantry, to occupy Haines' Bluff, near Vicksburg, and watch General Johnston, who was moving in the rear of Grant's forces. After the fall of Vicksburg, General Washburn was assigned to the Thirteenth Corps, of which, he took command on the departure of General Ord, on sick leave. The Thirteenth Corps moved to New Orleans, and thence to Wostern Louisiana, and joined with the Nineteenth Corps, under General Franklin, in an expedition to Opelousas and its vicinity. On learning of the attack on General Burbridge's force at Carrion Crow Bayou, General Washburn moved with a division at double quick to his relief, and succeeded in repulsing the enemy.
General Washburn was ordered to return to New Orleans and proceed with one division to the coast of Texas. He arrived with 2,800 men at Aransas Pass, on the 23rd of November. He proceeded up the coast and captured Fort Esperanza. An attack on Galveston was planned, but was abandoned by orders from General Banks.
General Washburn remained in Texas till January, 1864, when he left on leave of absence for sixty days, at the expiration of which, he was ordered to Annapolis, Maryland. This order was soon after countermanded, and he was ordered to Memphis to supersede Major General Hurlbut. Here he remained until December, when a new department being organized, General Dana took command at Memphis, and General Washburn was ordered to Vicksburg. General Dana was unsuccessful in his management of affairs in West Tennessee, and at the end of ninety days, General Washburn was ordered back to relieve him, and retained the position until mustered out of service. [Source: "The Military History of Wisconsin: a record of the civil and military"; By Edwin Bentley Quiner; Publ. 1866; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails