Edward Payson Bridgman
Edward Payson Bridgman was one of the first settlers of Antigo, Langlade county, and comes of well-known New England ancestors, who have been mostly farmers, and also active in religious matters, being identified with the Congregational Church.
The parents of our subject were Ansel and Salome (Graves) Bridgman, the former of whom was born in Northampton, Mass., in 1802, and was a Congregational minister. The father of Ansel was Joseph Bridgman, who married Mary Judd, and they had eight children. The Bridgmans date their ancestry back to James Bridgman, who came to this country in 1640 from Winchester, England, and our subject is of the eighth generation, and is the only son of his parents. Ansel Bridgman was first married in Massachusetts to Salome Graves, who died in 1836. He then, in 1837, married Sarepta Pool, and died in 1838. No children were born of this union. Mrs. Bridgman afterward married a Mr. Ellsworth, and they had one son, Ansel, who lives in Ludington, Michigan.
Edward P. Bridgman, the subject of this sketch, was born in Huntsburg, Ohio, March 7, 1834, and when five years of age was adopted by his uncle, John Bridgman, who lived in Northampton, Mass, and was a farmer. Here Edward lived until he was of age, in the meantime pursuing his studies at the State Normal School in Westfield, Mass. In 1856 he went to Kansas, enlisted under the famous John Brown, and was in the fight at Ossawatomie. Owing to political conditions and pro-slavery sentiment of Missouri, it was unsafe to remain, so he returned to his former home, and again took up his studies in the Normal School, from which institution he was graduated in 1860. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the Thirty-seventh Mass. V. I., and served three years in the Army of the Potomac, being in seventeen battles and engagements, but escaping without a wound. His first battle was that of Fredericsburg, his last being the memorable one at which Lee surrendered in 1865.
After his discharge from the army in 1865, Mr. Bridgman returned to Northampton, Mass., and engaged in the boot and shoe business, which he carried on some eight years. In 1874 became to Wisconsin, and was connected with a trading post store on the Menominee reservation, remaining there four years. In 1879 Mr. Bridgman took up a homestead in Polar township, Langlade county, being piloted to his new home by Indians, Mrs. Bridgman riding a pony for thirty miles. Here they lived three years, cleared seven acres of land, enduring some hardships, but being fairly prospered in their work. In the fall of 1882 they returned east, on a visit, and remained until June of the following year, when they came back to the farm. In October of that year they settled in Antigo, and Mr. Bridgman started a store, but did not continue it very long. Since that time he has dealt in real estate, and in 1888 became interested in a broom-handle factory. In 1893 a stock company was formed for this industry, in which Mr. Bridgman took stock, and was made one of the directors and also secretary of the company.
Our subject was married January 1, 1877, on the Indian reservation, to Miss Sophia B. Dresser, who was born at Goshen, Hampshire Co., Mass., March 30, 1846, a daughter of Caleb C. and Julia M. (White) Dresser. In this family were eight children, as follows: Sophia B., Albert B., Helen M., Edward W., Charles, Martha H., Laura M., and Hattie F., also two that died in infancy. The father, who was a carpenter and millwright, was born in Peru, Mass., December 19, 1813, and died at Goshen, same State, March 25, 1880. His father, Moses Dresser, was also a native of Massachusetts. The Dresser family date back for many years, and are characterized by their anti-slavery sentiments and strong character. Caleb Cushman, Grandmother Dresser's father, was a descendant of Robert Cushman — one of the Pilgrim Fathers, who was born about the year 1580 - and Mary Allerton, the youngest passenger on the "Mayflower." He preached the first sermon ever printed in America. This was in Plymouth, Mass., where a fine monument has been erected to his memory. In early times they were mostly farmers, but later were engaged largely in the professions, many being ministers and missionaries. Mrs. Julia White Dresser, mother of Mrs. Bridgman, was the daughter of Deacon Benjamin White, a farmer, who was born in Massachusetts, and was the son of William White. The family was a very prominent one in the early history of that State, and succeeding generations find them well known in the professional as well as the mercantile world. Mrs. Dresser died June 26, 1877. To Mr. and Mrs. Bridgman five children have been born, of whom two died in infancy; the others are: Edward P., Jr., born July 13, 1880; Lewis W., born August 28, 1882, and Robert W., born June 16, 1884.
Mr. Bridgman is a self-made man, and is highly respected in the community. He is a Republican, but is no politician. He is a charter member of the Congregational Church in Antigo, and a deacon in the same. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, F. & A. M., and also of John A. Kellogg Post, G. A. R. Mr. Bridgman's uncle and adopted father, John Bridgman, was a strong anti-slavery man, and an intimate friend of those great humanitarians, William Lloyd Garrison, Wendell Phillips and Fred Douglass. Indeed, on both his own and his wife's side, Mr. Bridgman has good reason to be proud of his family, who have some of the best blood in the country in their veins, and who were people distinguished for their integrity, religious characters, and progressive ideas. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Israel E. Bucknam
Israel E. Bucknam, proprietor of the leading shoe store in Antigo, and one of the most highly respected citizens of Langlade county, is a native of Maine, born in Falmouth, Cumberland county, March 28, 1830, a son of Israel and Mary E. (Morse) Bucknam, of the same nativity. John Bucknam, father of Israel Bucknam, Sr., was also born in Maine, and was a farmer by occupation. Israel Bucknam, Sr., was a common laborer, and he and his wife, Mary Bucknam, both died in Maine, the parents of four children, namely: Israel E., William H., and Elizabeth E. and Mehitabel E. (both now deceased).
Israel E. Bucknam commenced as a section hand on a railroad in the East when but eighteen years old, followed railroading in all some thirty years, and rose to the position of roadmaster. He married Sarah J. Badger, who was born in Maine in February, 1830, and they had two children: Louis E., of whom special mention will presently be made, and Charles, who died at the age of two years; they have also an adopted daughter, Alice A., now the wife of Daniel Sweeny. The parents of Mrs. Israel E. Bucknam, Samuel W. and Mary Badger, the former of whom was a farmer, were both born in Maine, and had a family of twelve children. In the spring of 1855 Mr. Bucknam moved west, followed agricultural pursuits for a short time near Minneapolis, Minn., and in 1858 came to Wisconsin, settling at Watertown, where he engaged in railroad work. In August, 1864, he enlisted in Company L, First Wisconsin Artillery, served in the forts about Washington, and was discharged in 1865. On account of his health he was obliged to give up railroading in 1884, at which time he came to Antigo, where in June, 1885, he established his present business. In politics he is a Republican, and was a member of the city council one year; socially, he is affiliated with the K. of P. and I.O.O.F.
Louis E. Bucknam, cashier of the Bank of Antigo, Antigo, Langlade county, is a native of Wisconsin, born in Kenosha, October 19, 1869. He received a liberal education at Fort Howard High School, also at Green Bay Business College, where he graduated in 1885, in which year he came to Antigo, where for some twelve months he worked as a common laborer. In the spring of 1886 he entered the Langlade County Bank as bookkeeper, filling that incumbency until 1891, at which time, the Bank of Antigo having been reorganized, he associated himself with that institution as a stock-holder, and soon afterward was appointed cashier, his present position.
On March 6, 1889, Louis E. Bucknam was united in marriage at Antigo with Miss Marian McDonald, who was born near Prophetstown, Ill., daughter of . Charles D. and Elsie (Briggs) McDonald, and a bright little daughter, Margaret, has come to cheer their home. Politically Mr. Bucknam is a Republican, and is chairman of the county committee, as well as its secretary. Socially, he is a member of the F. & A. M., and secretary of the Chapter; is also a member of the Antigo Fire Department. He is a representative, pushing young business man, self-made, and his present responsible position is evidence sufficient of what pluck, ambition and honest endeavor will accomplish. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Clement C. Campbell
CAMPBELL, Clement C, St Paul. Res 220 Nelson av. Minister of religion. Born Dec 25 1851 in Waushara county Wis, son of Rev D A and Electa L (Soper) Campbell. Married Aug 16, 1883 to Elizabeth J Laning. Educated in public schools Pine River Wis and graduated B S Ripon (Wis) College 1882; Chicago Theological Seminary 1882-84; Yale Theological Seminary 1884-85; B D same 1885; town supt of schools Granby Conn 1885-1890; pres Northern Wis Home Missionary Society and trustee Ashland Academy 1894-98; treas Wis Convention 1903-1904; held pastorates in Congregational churches in Granby Conn 1885-90; Nacedah Wis 1890-91; Antigo Wis 1891-98; Hartford Wis 1898-1901; Madison Wis 1901-1904 and has been pastor of Plymouth Congregational church St Paul 1904 to date. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
Edward Cleary, conductor on the Ashland division of the Chicago & North Western railroad, with residence at Antigo, Langlade county, was born in Lancaster, Worcester Co., Mass., October 25, 1855, son of Michael Cleary, who was born in Ireland about the year 1827, son of Edward Cleary, who died in Ireland when Michael was but ten years of age, leaving a widow and six children, viz.: Maurice, Garret, Edward, Patrick, Michael and Ann.
Michael Cleary, father of the subject of this sketch, came to America when twenty years of age, or in 1847, and settled in Massachusetts. Here he was married to Mary Powers, who was born in Ireland in 1830, one of a family of seven children — Catherine, William, Patrick, John, Michael, Edmond and Mary — born to Edward and Margaret (Hayes) Powers, the former of whom was a farmer and fisherman. In 1855 the family came to America and settled in Massachusetts where the father died in 1867; the mother passed away in Appleton, June 11, 1894, aged ninety-eight years. To Michael and Mary (Powers) Cleary were born eight children, viz.: Maurice (who died in 1879 at the age of eighteen), Edward, Michael, Ellen, Katherine and Margaret, and two deceased in infancy. Michael Cleary, the father, came to Wisconsin, in 1863, first locating in Appleton, from which place he moved soon after to a farm and returned to Appleton where, in March, 1895, he died. Mrs. Ellen Cleary, widow of Edward Cleary and mother of Michael, followed her sons to America, and died at Michael's home in 1878.
Edward Cleary, the subject proper of this sketch, was given the advantages of the common schools, and remained at home on the farm with his parents until he was nineteen years of age. He then went into the lumber woods, and worked there during the winters of four years, returning home in the summers to assist his father on the farm. In June, 1878, he was engaged on the right of way for the new railroad, chopping ties, and in the following December commenced braking on what was then the Milwaukee, Lake Shore and Western railroad, now the Ashland division of the Chicago & North Western. He has railroaded ever since, being one of the oldest men on this division, and has been promoted from time to time until in 1884 he was given a passenger run. In 1886 he took up his residence in Antigo, and having great faith in the prospects of the town, has done everything in his power to help in building it up; in 1891 he erected a fine block, and moreover is interested in several other blocks here. He is president of the J. C. Lewis Hardware Co., and has dealt extensively in outside lands.
Mr. Cleary was married, in 1882, to Miss Margaret Morrissey, of Appleton, daughter of Patrick and Margaret (Landers) Morrissey, natives of Ireland, who emigrated to the United States, making their first New World home in Massachusetts where they were married. They had a family of eight children: Patrick, John, Thomas, Catherine. Ellen, Margaret, Johannah and Mary Ann, three of whom are deceased, viz.: Patrick, Catherine and Mary Ann. Patrick was ordained a Catholic priest in 1875, and died at St. Louis, Mo., May 10, 1892; John, who was ordained a priest in 1883, is now pastor of a congregation at Oshkosh; Thomas is married and lives in Antigo, Wis., where he is manager of the Delaglise estate; Ellen is a Sister of Charity at St. Agnes Convent, Fond du Lac, Wis. The family came to this State in 1850, where the father followed agricultural pursuits; the mother died in March, 1885. To Mr. and Mrs. Cleary have been born five children: John E., Agnes M., Raymond W., Emmet V., and Aloysius F. In his political predilections our subject is a Republican, and has served his adopted city as supervisor one year, and alderman two years. Socially, he is a member of the Order of Railroad Conductors of America; was a delegate to Toledo, Ohio, in May, 1893, and a delegate to Atlanta, Ga., in 1895, from the lodge at Ashland, Wis.; he was first chief conductor of the lodge at Ashland in 1889, and elected twice afterward, serving in that incumbency three years in all. In religious faith the entire family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Cleary owns one of the handsomest homes in the city of Antigo, and figures as one of the representative men of the place. Being public-spirited, he is ever ready to advance any cause that he thinks will permanently aid the growth and prosperity of the city. He is much respected by all who know him, the more so because he is known to have commenced at the bottom of the ladder, and with no assistance, save his own energy and attentiveness to business, worked himself up to a position of prominence and affluence. He is justly proud of the fact that, though he has been a railroad man nearly all of his life, he is not unfitted for other lines of usefulness, and he is counted one of the practical business men of Antigo. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Man has been endowed with reason, will and physical power, and it is by patient industry only that he can open up a pathway to the enduring prosperity of a community. The fittest survive, and, in writing biographies of individuals like our subject, it is a pleasure to meet with such striking examples of industry and integrity.
Mr. Daskam is a native of New York State, born March 14, 1843, in Caton, Steuben county, a grandson of Nathan Daskam, Jr., who was of Connecticut birth and a soldier in the Revolutionary war, in which struggle he had a brother among the slain. Nathan Daskam, Sr., great-grandfather of Edward Daskam, was one of the associates of the Old Hartford Bank, known as the "Daskam and Barsley Bank," and the Daskams furnished "sinews of war" to the government in both the Revolution and the war of 1812. The grandparents of our subject were of Welch and English descent, their ancestors having many years ago settled in Connecticut where Nathan, Jr., and his wife, as well as his parents, all passed their entire lives. Nathan Daskam, Jr., and his wife had one daughter, Ann, now Mrs. Sydam (whose son, Hiram Sydam, is a prominent business man of Geneva, N. Y.), and three sons, John (a farmer), Nathan and Robert, the latter of whom was born at Hartford, Conn., in 1801, and became a mechanic. He (Robert) married Miss Maria A. Wheeler, who was born in Connecticut, in 1807, of German and Irish ancestry, her father being of Mohawk-Dutch lineage (his parents were among the early settlers of the Mohawk Valley), her mother of Irish. They were farmers, and died in Ontario county, N. Y., each at the age of about ninety years, the parents of four children: William H., Jerry, Jane and Maria A. To Robert Daskam and his wife were born ten children, a brief sketch of whom is as follows: William H., the eldest, enlisted in the Fourth Wis. V. I., and died in August, 1862, of wounds received, leaving a widow but no children (he was also a soldier in the Mexican war, having enlisted in Chicago); Lucinda married Richard Ardell, a shoemaker, and resides in Waupaca county; Caroline is now the wife of William Sidney, a farmer of New York State; John W. is a farmer in Langlade county (he was a soldier in the First Wis. V. C, and served one year); Elizabeth A. is now the wife of George Gelder, a farmer in Michigan, near Kalamazoo; Mathilda is the deceased wife of Stephen Hibbard; Edward is the subject of this sketch; Louisa is now Mrs. Hudson Gelder, and resides in New York State; Robert L. (1) died when seven years old; Robert L. (2) is a farmer of Calumet county. Wis.; Charles W. is a resident of Ashland, Wis. In 1857 the family came to Wisconsin settling on a farm in Calumet county, where the father died November 25, 1882. He was self-made, self-educated, a great reader, and well posted in the affairs of his time; public-spirited and liberal-minded, he was a man of broad ideas, and highly respected by all who knew him.
Edward Daskam, whose name introduces this sketch, was reared on a farm, and enjoyed the advantages of a common-school training. At the age of seventeen, on September 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Fourteenth Wis. V. L, re-enlisting December 11, 1863, as a veteran, at Vicksburg. Miss., and was discharged at Mobile, Ala., October 9, 1865, as first sergeant. His war record is an enviable one, and the same courage displayed in the field of battle has since characterized his walks in civil and political life. He participated in the battle of Pittsburg Landing, was at the sieges of both Corinth and Vicksburg, was with Sherman at Atlanta, present at the affair at Nashville, and took part in the siege of Spanish Fort which lasted fourteen days.
With the exception of a short time he was in the hospital sick with the measles he was always with his regiment, never missing an engagement. On his return from the army in October, 1865, he engaged in farming a couple of years, during which time he took up the real-estate business to which he then turned his attention exclusively, at first dealing in farm lands, later handling city and village property. In March, 1882, he came to Antigo, Langlade county, which was then a collection of shanties, at once invested in vacant lots, and has since been actively engaged here in the real-estate business, which he does not confine to city and town property in the county and State, for he has extended his interests in that line into the Dakotas, Montana, Michigan and other States. He also carries on a general brokerage business, and upon the reorganization of the Bank of Antigo he was appointed vice-president. In the building up of Antigo he has been a prominent factor, has platted three additions known as the "Daskam Additions," and further interested himself in the erection of several brick blocks, a foundry and machine shop, besides other manufacturing plants; as soon, however, as he saw each of these industries on its feet, he would sell out, preferring to confine himself to the open precincts of real-estate dealing, of which by his natural acumen, shrewdness and sagacity he has made a pronounced success.
On January 2, 1871, Mr. Daskam was married to Miss Henrietta J. McMullen, by whom he had children, as follows: Thomas E., assistant cashier of the Bank of Antigo; Mary L., living at home, and two that died in infancy. The mother of these passed away to the "better land" in 1883, and September 7, 1885, Mr. Daskam wedded Miss Osca Bemis, daughter of George W. Bemis, register of deeds, Antigo, and by this union there are three children: Edith, Edward and Bemis. Socially our subject is prominent in Masonic circles, having attained the thirty-second degree; he is a member of Antigo Lodge F. & A. M. No. 231, of Wausau Commandery No. 19, of Milwaukee Consistory, and of the Mystic Shrine, Milwaukee; he is also a member of the G. A. R., taking a lively interest in the affairs of each fraternity. Politically he is a Republican, and has served as assessor and on the county board. In his religious views he is liberal, giving freely of his means to all denominations, and takes a deep interest in the public schools, in fact in all educational projects. As a business man he has been exceptionally successful, and certainly seems worthy of being placed on the list of the wealthiest men of Antigo, his career being proverbial for honest, straightforward, fair-and-square dealings with all with whom he has had business transactions of any kind. He is a man, take him for all in all, of whom everybody always speaks well, and who has not, and does not deserve to have, a single personal enemy. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio.]
Francis A. Deleglise
Hon. Francis A. Deleglise (deceased),"the father of Antigo." The life of this gentleman presents a striking example of industry and integrity conducting to eminent success, and of political consistency based on enlightened and moderate views — views at all times compatible with a generous toleration of the sentiments entertained by others, and commanding general confidence and esteem. Mr. Deleglise was a native of Switzerland, born February 10, 1835, in Bagnes, Valais, a son of Morris and Catherine Deleglise, the former of whom was by profession a teacher and surveyor. In 1849. realizing that in the New World their numerous family would have greater advantages and broader opportunities for advancement and success in life, they emigrated to America, coming direct to Wisconsin, and locating first in Gibson township, Manitowoc county, where the mother died in 1854. Later the family moved to Shawano county, settling in Morris township, near Leopolis, where the father followed farming, dying there in 1877. The son Francis, our subject, was fourteen years old when he came with the rest of the family to Wisconsin. He had already received a fairly liberal public-school education, and his first occupation in this, to him, new country, was sailing on the lakes, a vocation he followed until he was seventeen years old, after which he worked in the woods during the winter season, assisting his father in locating settlers, in surveying, and in many other ways, to the best of his ability. At the age of twenty-one he married, and shortly afterward he and his young wife removed to Appleton, where they remained until 1877. During this time Mr. Deleglise was always more or less engaged in civil engineering, locating new settlers on homesteads, and other employment of a like nature, but during the first years of his residence in Appleton, when not thus occupied, followed different lines of work, being ever ready to turn his hand to any labor which would bring him remuneration. Thus he continued until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, in which he served over three years. He was among the first to respond to his adopted country's call for volunteers, enlisting June 28, 1861, in Company E, Sixth Wis. V. I., Capt. Marsten, of Appleton, commanding the company, in which he was speedily promoted to corporal. The regiment was, in the following July, attached to the army of the Potomac, and participated in all the battles of the "Iron Brigade." At Antietam, September 17, 1862, our subject was wounded, which necessitated his confinement to hospital; but he convalesced soon enough to be present at the battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 2 and 3, 1863, where, at the railroad grade, he was again wounded, and was taken prisoner. He did not long remain in the enemy's hands, however, as when they retreated they had to leave all the wounded behind. On July 16, 1864, he was honorably discharged from the service with the record of a valiant soldier, one who did his duty faithfully and loyally. But he suffered much in health, for when he enlisted his weight was 190 pounds, and when he left for his home the scales showed but 90 pounds — a loss of 100 pounds; and he painfully carried a bullet in his thigh till it was extracted at Madison at the time of his discharge. While recuperating Mr. Deleglise resumed the study of civil engineering, and became a proficient surveyor, in 1867 commencing the looking up and locating of lands in this part of the State. It was then that he, in reality, picked out the site for the future city of Antigo, entering lands and locating settlers on homesteads, and in 1877 he settled there with his family. In that same year he platted the village and commenced the sale of lots, which, and his after active connection with the place, brought him the well-merited title of "Father of Antigo." He was the first chairman of the city, and served as county treasurer for some time; dealt largely in real estate, and became possessed of extensive tracts of land in and around Antigo, having unbounded faith in the growth of the embryo city.
On November 29, 1856, Mr. Deleglise was united in marriage, at Two Rivers, Wis., with Miss Mary Bor, who was born January 1, 1835, in Taus, Bohemia, daughter of Simon and Dora (Kerzma) Bor, the parents of two children. The family came to America in 1855, settling at Gibson, Manitowoc county, and the father, who was a merchant in Europe, and a farmer in this country, died in Antigo in 1881; in his native land he served as a soldier eight years. To Mr. and Mrs. Deleglise were born children as follows: Mary T., now Mrs. John Deresch, of Antigo; Sophia E., wife of Samuel E. Leslie, of Antigo; Francis A. (deceased); John E.; Anna E., wife of Thomas Morrissey, of Antigo; Adelbert A.; Alexis L.; Henry (deceased), and Edmond, at home.
Mr. Deleglise was public-spirited and progressive from the crown of his head to the sole of his foot, and the primary and great object of his ambition was the development and improvement of the village, town and city where he passed so many busy years of his life. He was liberal in all things, especially in Church and educational matters, in which latter he took special interest; in politics, he was, during the war, a Democrat, later a Republican, and in 1892 he was elected to the State Legislature, where he made a brilliant record as a legislator. In all things he was a most successful man, and when he died he left not only large landed interests in northern Wisconsin, but the record of one whose memory is inseparably connected with the rise and progress of this portion of the State, in all his efforts toward the consummation of which he was instigated by no spirit of selfishness or gain to himself beyond what is conceded to be a right due to every American citizen. He died March 25, 1894, in the full faith of the Roman Catholic Church, beloved and respected by all, regardless of party or religion, and deeply mourned by hosts of friends and acquaintances, as a man, locally speaking, not of to-day alone, but for all time. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Nathan S. Locke
Nathan S. Locke, one of the prominent and influential citizens of Antigo, is a native of the "Old Granite State," his birth having taken place October 27, 1837, in the town of Hopkintown, New Hampshire.
The Lockes are a well-known family in New England, and date their ancestry back to John Locke, who was born in London, England, Sept. 16, 1618, and came to New England about 1638. He was a man of great energy and courage, serving as captain in the French and Indian wars of the early days, and was so instrumental in defeating the Indians in several of their descents upon the town as to incur their special enmity. As afterward appeared, eight of their number journeyed from Canada to Rye, N. H., with the express purpose of killing him. They succeeded in their attempt August 26, 1692, but found the task one of difficulty and danger. He was attacked while reaping grain in the field, and the sickle with which the brave man stoutly defended himself, and which was broken in the combat, is now in the museum of the State Historical Society, and on exhibition at their family reunions. Capt. John Locke's descendants now form a numerous and influential family. More than two hundred, including representatives of the fifth to the ninth generation, were present at the reunion held August 26, 1892, at Rye, N. H., where their reunions are held in honor of the memory of their heroic ancestor. Capt. John Locke was the great-grandfather of Jonathan Locke, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and served at the battle of Bunker Hill with great distinction.
Jonathan Locke's son, David, father of Nathan S. Locke, our subject, was born at Epsom, N. H., January 19, 1795. He was a wheelwright by trade; he also owned a farm which he managed with success. He was an only son, and had five sisters. He was a man of enterprise and integrity. On December 23, 1818, he married Elizabeth S. Chase, who was born at Pittsfield, N. H., May 11, 1796, and who was a relative of Chief Justice Chase, and also of Bishop Chase. Ten children were born of this marriage, as follows: Drusilla L., Alpheus C, Mary E., Sarah C, Milton P., Ann M., Silas M., Nathaniel C, Nathan S. and George H. Neither of these six sons has ever used tobacco or liquors of any kind, nor has their father. This family inherited habits of frugality and industry, so productive of success with the true New Englander, by which some of them have won for themselves positions of honor and usefulness they now enjoy, and by which all have attained a competency, some having become wealthy. These brothers have given the world some of the most valuable inventions that have ever been produced for controlling the pressure of steam and water; they have valuable patents, in England, Germany and France, on devices which regulate steam and water pressures. They own a large plant at Salem, Mass., and manufacture their own machines. Nathaniel C, the well- known inventor, has made this a special study for more than twenty-five years, and is probably one of the best-informed men in the world to-day on this subject. The mother of this family, after a noble Christian life, died at Hopkintown, N. H., in 1869; the father, David Locke, after a quiet, useful life, died at the same place in 1886.
Nathan S. Locke, of this family, was given all the advantages of good schools, and was a student for two years in the Claremont (N. H.) Seminary, by careful improvement of his time becoming quite skilled in the trade of house building. At the age of twenty-one he went to Lewiston, Maine, living in the home of his oldest brother, Alpheus. About this time he learned the art of photography, and followed the business for five years in Lewiston, also two years in Boston. In 1865 he came west, locating at Green Bay, Wis., where he pursued his former vocation for a short period of time, after which he purchased a farm in Outagamie county, Wis., and began the enterprise of farming with all the persistent industry which characterizes his nature, and in the course of a few years he became a successful and well-to-do farmer. He was married November 7, 1865, to Abbie G. Ware, who was born in Kennebec county, Maine, daughter of Cyrus E. and Nancy A. (Mitchell) Ware, who were the parents of five children, whose names are: Mary M., Abbie G., Emma H., Nancy E. and James F. Her father's family came west in 1855, and settled in Outagamie county, Wis., where Mr. Ware engaged in lumbering and general mercantile business. He was an active business man, and amassed a fortune. He was a Republican in politics, and during his lifetime held numerous public offices, though in no sense an office-seeker. His son James F., an attorney-at-law, is a graduate of Lawrence University, Wis., and also of Ann Arbor (Mich.) Law School. He was a member of the State Assembly in 1880, 1881, 1883, and he was elected State Senator in 1884, in which capacity he remained until 1888, proving a hard worker, never shirking responsibility, but by honest endeavor proving himself capable of filling the prominent positions into which he was frequently placed. He also created and worked for the passage of important bills which have proved to be for the betterment of the people of Wisconsin; the establishing of the Home for Friendless Children at Sparta, Wis., and other bills which have greatly improved the State laws relative to social purity. Abbie G., of this family, wife of Nathan S. Locke, was formerly a student at Lawrence University, and was for eight years a successful and favorite teacher in the public schools of Outagamie county. Wis., where she was universally esteemed for her many virtues, and correct Christian living. She became early identified with the Woman's Christian Temperance organization, to which she is ardently attached. In May, 1866, Nathan S. Locke and wife united with the Congregational Church at Hortonviile, Wis., wherein Mr. Locke was a leading and influential member, and superintendent of the Sunday-school for years. And through all these years of character building they have sought instruction from the great Giver of all our blessings.
Mr. Locke sold his farming interests in 1882, and moved to Antigo, which was then in its infancy. He invested in village lots, and land, and began building houses to sell and rent. He has had a prosperous business, building generally for himself, though he has built quite a number for other people. He has aided several societies in securing houses of worship and parsonages; was a liberal contributor toward securing the railroad improvements at Antigo; he has always aided financially in the temperance work of the place, of which cause both he and his wife are strong advocates. He is closely identified with the growth of the town, and takes great interest in its advancement and prosperity. He owns quite a large amount of real estate, both in the city and county, and is one of those who add largely to the upbuilding of their community. Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Rudolph Kratche, an enterprising, energetic citizen of Antigo, Langlade county, is a native of Wisconsin, born February 8, 1865, in Manitowoc county, a son of Paul Kratche, a Bohemian by birth, who first saw the light in 1828. Paul Kratche came to the United States in 1850, settling in Mishicott township, Manitowoc Co., Wis., where he married Miss Anna Holup, a lady of European birth, by whom he had five children: Mary, John, Joseph, Rudolph and Louis. The father of these, who was a farmer, died in October, 1893; the mother is yet living, and is in comfortable circumstances. The paternal grandfather of our subject died in Europe, leaving a widow and four sons.
Rudolph Kratche received a practical public-school education, and at the age of fifteen commenced clerking in a general store at Manitowoc, where he remained some five years, after which he went to Chicago, and in that city clerked for Marshall Field & Co. three years. From Chicago he came direct to Antigo, in 1887, and clerked for L. Strasser four years, or until the beginning of 1892, in February of which year he commenced business on his own account, opening a dry-goods and ladies' furnishing store. He carries a full stock, an excellent line of goods, enjoys a lucrative trade, and has never had any help. In 1890 Mr. Kratche was married to Miss Blanche Teitgen, also a native of Manitowoc county, Wis., and one little daughter, Viola, has come to brighten their home. In politics our subject affiliates with the Democratic party, but he is neither a politician nor an office-seeker, his business requiring all his time. He and his amiable life partner are faithful members of the Roman Catholic Church of Antigo. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno” 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio."]
Charles S. Leykom
In presenting a record of the lives of representative self-made men of northern Wisconsin, more especially of Langlade county and the city of Antigo, it is a pleasure to include that of the gentleman whose name is here given, because it is men of his caliber who have made this comparitavely new State what it is, and brought it to its present condition of prosperity.
Mr. Leykom is a native of Wisconsin, born in the city of Manitowoc November 14, 1858, a son of John and Ann (Wallace) Leykom, the father born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1807, the mother in Quebec, Canada, in 1830. The parents and brothers and sisters of John Leykom all died in Germany, John, alone, emigrating to Canada. He was reared by an uncle, John Hoffman, and before crossing the Atlantic he served in the German army. He had a family of eleven children, of whom John R., Harriet (now Mrs. H. A. Kohl), Catherine (now Mrs. G. W. Hill, of Antigo), Mary Ann and Charles S., are the only survivors. All the eleven children were born in Canada except Catherine and Charles S., who are of Wisconsin birth. The family came to Wisconsin in 1845, settling in Manitowoc, where the father is yet living, and where the mother died in 1887. John R. and James served in the Union army during the Civil war, James enlisting when seventeen years old, serving eighteen months; in 1868 he was drowned in the wreck of the ill-fated "Seabird." Thomas died in Manitowoc at the age of seventeen, Albert when twenty-six, while other members of the family passed away in infancy. The mother, Mrs. Ann (Wallace) Leykom, was a daughter of James and Ruth Wallace, the former of whom, a mason by trade, died in Canada, the father of two sons and four daughters, one son, only, now living.
Charles S. Leykom, the subject proper of these lines, who is the youngest in his father's family, received a liberal common-school education in the city of his birth, and when fourteen years old commenced learning the trade of cigar maker, which he followed some eighteen months, but had to abandon on account of impaired health. Later he clerked in a hardware store in Manitowoc three years, then in a grocery store one year, after which he returned to the hardware store and clerked there another three years. In July, 1881, he came to Antigo, Langlade county, where, in company with Mr. John Hessel he embarked in the hardware business, the firm (Hessel & Leykom) building their own store, the first of the kind in Antigo, and they have met with the success due to enterprise and indefatigable energy. At that time the place was in a very primitive condition, the nearest railroad station being fifteen miles distant, and Mr. Leykom had to come on foot to the then village of 150 inhabitants.
In 1883 Mr. Leykom was united in marriage with Miss Nellie A. Williams, who was born in Potsdam, N. Y., in 1864, daughter of G. C. and Alois (Heath) Williams, both natives of Vermont, who came to Wisconsin in 1882, settling on a farm; they had a family of eight children, of whom Abbie, Winnie, Nellie A., Bertha and Jennie are living, the others having died in infancy. To Mr. and Mrs. Leykom have been born two children: John W. and Charles S. In his political preferences our subject is a Republican, and he has served as member of the school board; socially he is affiliated with the A. O. U. W., and is very active in that Order; in religious faith he and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church. He is recognized as one of the wide-awake pushing men of Antigo, in the building up of which young city he has always taken the deepest interest, and given substantial aid. At the present time he is president of the Langlade County Bank; treasurer of the Antigo Electric Light Plant Company; and president of the Agriculturial Society, and of the Antigo Cemetery Association. He and his amiable wife are proverbial for their hospitality and geniality, and enjoy the well-merited respect and esteem of the entire community. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Mark Neuman, a leading and popular clothing merchant of Antigo, Langlade county, is a native of Wisconsin, born January 13, 1861, at LaCrosse, a son of Simon and Hanchen (Hoffman) Neuman, both natives of Prussia, the former born in 1822, the latter in 1839. The father of our subject had two brothers and three sisters, all of whom came to America except one sister, who remained in the Fatherland with her parents. Simon emigrated in 1850, first locating, for any length of time, at Granville, Washington Co., N. Y., in the general merchandising business, having followed the trade of hat and cap maker in New York for a short time, at which he had previously worked in London (England). About the year 1855 he came to Wisconsin, and in the city of LaCrosse established a dry-goods store, which he conducted some twenty-five years, or until 1881, when he moved to Racine, and there for four years carried on a clothing business. In 1885 he came to Antigo and opened out the clothing establishment now managed by his son Mark. At Milwaukee, in 1859, Simon Neuman was married to Miss Hanchen Hoffman, who was born in Prussia in 1839, and came alone to this country in her girlhood. She has one brother, William, living, and had one sister, Fredericka, now deceased. Mr. Neuman died April 13, 1893, respected and regretted by a wide circle of relatives and friends; his widow now has her home in Duluth, Minn. They were the parents of four children, namely: Mark, Rebecca (now Mrs. M. Kastriner, of Duluth), Louis (in business at that city) and Hulda.
Mark Neuman, the subject proper of these lines, received his education at the common schools of his native place, after which he was employed in his father's store until 1890, at which time he was given a half interest in the Antigo business, and since his father's death has had the control and management of the entire concern, his mother retaining a half interest in the same.
On May 2, 1894, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Ida DeLee, of Chicago, who was born at Cold Spring, on the Hudson, New York State, daughter of Morris (a wholesale clothier in Chicago) and Dora DeLee, natives, the father of Poland, the mother of Germany. They have a family of eight children, viz.: Solomon T., Charles, Abraham, Joseph, Augusta, Ida, Nettie and Anette. To Mr. and Mrs. Neuman has been born one child, named Ruth Hertha. In his political preferences our subject is a Republican; socially, he is a member of the F. and A. M., and K. of P., in which latter order he is a charter member of the lodge at Antigo, and is master of the exchequer. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Munson M. Ross
Judge Munson M. Ross, of Langlade county, was the first attorney in the county, and is now serving as municipal judge. He is a native of Wisconsin, born in Manitowoc, August 22, 1853, and is a son of Norris and Eliza (Edwards) Ross. Norris Ross was born in the town of Windsor, Hartford Co., Conn., in 1816. His father, who was a farmer, removed to Cleveland, Ohio, when Norris was a two-year-old child. The latter left home when about sixteen years old, and going to Milwaukee worked at carpentering and ship-building. Later he came to Manitowoc, and in 1836 built the first vessel ever constructed there, and which was named the "Citizen." He was here married to Miss Eliza Edwards, who was born in Monmouth county, N. J., December 30, 1830, a daughter of Joseph and Amy (Johnson) Edwards, whose family comprised the following children: Henry, Daniel, Joseph, Perry, Eliza, Gertrude, Phoebe, Jennie and Emma. The father was a lake captain for many years, owning and sailing his own vessels; he served in the Civil war. His sons are all sailors. Mr. Edwards died in 1866, his wife in 1887. Norris Ross also sailed the lakes for some years, owning and sailing his own vessels. He is still living at a good old age, and makes his home with the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Ross died April 30, 1881. They were the parents of five children as follows: Ella, now Mrs. George H. Hoffman, of Antigo; Jessie, Mrs. Albert Ross, also residing in Antigo; Julia, who married C. Deda, of Kewaunee, and is deceased; lone, who married Richard Hampton, a farmer, and resides in Langlade county; and Munson M., who is the second child in order of birth.
Our subject was educated in the common schools of Manitowoc, and learned the trade of a printer, at which he worked some seven years, one year of that time on the Milwaukee Sentinel. He was then obliged to give up work for two years on account of his health. At the age of twenty-five Mr. Ross, having decided to study law, entered the office of H. G. and W. J. Turner. Here he remained about four years, was admitted to the bar in 1881, and in July of that year came to Antigo, and opened an office, being, as already stated, the first attorney to take up his residence in Langlade county. He had practiced here only one year, when he was elected register of deeds, and held that office four years, succeeding R. G. Webb, who was the first man to hold that office in the county. He was then elected mayor, and after his term expired he moved on his farm near Antigo, where he remained, however, only eight months. Then he came back to the city, and purchased a hardware store, which he carried on for two years, when he sold out, and built a sawmill near his farm. This, however, proving a financial failure, he again moved onto his farm, where he lived one year.
In the spring of 1895 Mr. Ross was elected municipal judge of the county, and now resides in Antigo. Judge Ross was married, in 1881, to Sarah J. Edwards, who was born in Milwaukee, Wis., December 6, 1857, daughter of Robert and Mary (Jones) Edwards, one of eight children, whose names are: Sarah J., Anna, Maggie, Laura, Mattie, Thomas, Robert and John. Her parents, who were natives of Wales, came to America when young, and were married in Milwaukee. Her father was a sailor, first on the ocean, and afterward on the lakes, and is now living at Two Rivers, Wis. Her mother died in February, 1895. Three children have been born to Judge Ross and his wife, Thomas M., Anieta and Munson M. The judge is a stanch Democrat, and an active worker. He has been a member of the school board ever since coming to Antigo, and takes a great interest in educational matters. He is identified with the Episcopal Church, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails