Biographies
Marathon County Wisconsin -
B Surnames

*
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman (unless otherwise noted) -- Back To Biographies Index
History -- Births -- Marriages -- Obits ---- Wood County Wisconsin Biographies 


Adolph Baade (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 7

Mr. Baade was born about 1868.
His wife was born in 1872.
Her maiden name was Catherine Upp.
The Baades came to the Town of Plover in 1919, from Buckbee, near Clintonville, Waupaca County, where the Otto Kuschels had also lived.
They settled on the N.1/2 of the SE, Section 16, where Towle and Van Doren had a logging camp on the back part of this eighty.
They farmed until about 1927, when they were divorced.
Mr. Baade died in 1929, but Mrs. Baade lived until 1941.
Mrs. Baade had two daughters by a previous marriage, whose names were Martha and Anita Ladwig. Anita (now Mrs. Gene Nichols) lives northeast of Aniwa, in Shawano County.


Bache-Wiig, Olai (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 904-905

OLAI BACHE-WIIG, a mechanical engineer, who is superintendent of the Wausau Sulphate Fibre Company, at Mosinee, Wisconsin, and one of its stockholders, was born in Norway, June 3, 1876, and is a son of Hartvig and Amalie Bache-Wiig. Neither of the parents and only two of the ten children ever came to America, these being Olai and Jens, the latter being in the employ of the Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company, at Pittsburgh, Pa., as an electrical engineer.

Olai Bache-Wiig attended school in his native land, studied mechanical engineering in Germany, and, returning to Norway, engaged in pulp and paper mill engineering. He came to the United States in 1903, carrying on the same kind of work here and in Canada. In 1910 he was engaged by Wausau capitalists to design and build the pulp and paper mills of the Wausau Sulphate Fibre Company, located at Mosinee, Wis.

In February, 1912, Mr. Bache-Wiig was married to Miss Agnes Ravn, who was born at Scandinavia, Wisconsin, a daughter of Dr. Michael and Valborg Ravn. Mrs. Bache-Wiig's father conducts a private hospital in Merrill, Wisconsin. His family consists of four children: Bjarne, Agnes, Signe and Erling. Mr. and Mrs. Bache-Wiig have one son, Lars Ravn. They are members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Bache-Wiig is a Republican in politics but is not a close party man.


Bachmann, George A. H. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 570

* GEORGE A. H. BACHMANN, of the firm of Paup & Bachmann, dealers in general merchandise, drugs and medicines, Mosinee, was born in Germany, in April, 1857; first came to Wisconsin in the Spring of 1875 and settled at Mosinee, where he began work for Mr. J. Dessert and continued three years. He took a job of logging and making railroad ties during the Winter of 1878, and in the Spring went to Dakota, where he remained a short time, but returned to Mosinee. He then worked in the pineries, and in the Spring of 1880 he went into his present business.


Baesemann, Gustav H. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 695-696

GUSTAV H. BAESEMANN, one of the well known men of Marathon county, of which he has been a resident since July, 1866, occupies his handsome residence at No. 810 Grand avenue, Wausau, and is numbered with the city's capitalists. He was born March 10, 1855, at South Germantown, Washington county, Wis., and is a son of John and Ernestina Baesemann. John Baesemann and wife were born in Germany but were married at Milwaukee, Wis., coming to America when aged about eighteen years. About 1866 they moved to Marathon county and settled on the Big Rib river, where Mr. Baesemann went into the saw mill business and also bought 200 acres of land in the town of Rib Falls. Both he and wife died in Marathon county in advanced age, being well known and highly respected people.

Gustav H. Baesemann obtained a district school education and as soon as old enough began work in his father's saw mill and continued to operate a saw mill for many years, later adding a flour and a feed mill, all being operated by water power. Mr. Baesemann owns 800 acres of land in the town of Rib Falls and has made many other property investments throughout the state.

Mr. Baesemann married Miss Pauline Salzman, who was born in Manitowoc, Wis., and they have four children: Laurinda, who is the wife of Irvin Marchetti; Jessie, who is the wife of William Kickbush, of Lake View, Idaho; Clara, who is the wife of Hon. Oscar Ringle, who is a member of the Wisconsin State Legislature; and Walter R. Mr. Baesemann is a member of the Odd Fellows. His activity in public affairs is covered by the services he renders as an honest, upright and fearless citizen.


Baesemann, Henry (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 687-689

HENRY BAESEMANN, one of the highly respected retired citizens of Rib Falls, Wis., is a representative of a family that has had much to do with the development of this part of Marathon county. He was the third born in a family of seven children, to John and Ernestina (Gruell) Baesemann.

John Baesemann was born in Germany and was eighteen years of age when he accompanied his parents to the United States. At first he lived at Columbus, O., and from there came to Wisconsin and later he bought eighty acres of land eighteen miles northwest of Milwaukee. In Germany he had learned the blacksmith trade, and he opened a shop on his farm. In Washington county, Wis., he married Ernestina Gruell, who was also born in Germany, and the following children were born to them: August, who lives in the town of Weir on a tract of land received from his father, married Johanna Baumann; Frank, who is deceased; Henry; G. H., who is a resident of Wausau; Mary, who is deceased; Alvina, who is the wife of Henry Henricrets; and Albertina, who is the wife of Frank Linder, and they reside on Washington street, Wausau. The father of the above family sold his eighty acres near Milwaukee and came to Marathon county, securing 200 acres in section 22, town of Rib Falls, all this land being then entirely unimproved. He spent his first year in the hard work of clearing; in the second year he built his dam to control the water power for the saw mill that he built in the third year. Then came the disaster that has visited many other river men, a time of high water from freshets that washed the dam away. He rebuilt the dam and made it stronger than ever, and three years later had his saw mill operating and soon after added a flour mill. The former mill is now abandoned, but the flour mill is used to some extent. He was a busy man until the end of his life, his death occurring at the age of seventy-one years. His widow survived him four years, and both were interred at Rib Falls. They were members of the Lutheran church. In politics always a Democrat, John Baesemann at times held public offices and served as chairman of the county board.

Henry Baesemann with his brother G. H. Baesemann, under the firm style of Baesemann Bros., bought eighty acres of land of their father and continued together as lumbermen until 1903. Henry Baesemann owns twenty-six acres, twelve of which are well timbered. Since marriage he has lived in the village of Rib Falls. He married Miss Louisa Gabelain, who was born at Milwaukee, one of a family of ten children and one of two survivors. Her brother Henry is a resident of Rib Falls. Her mother died at the age of seventy years and was buried at Fond du Lac, where her father still resides and is now in his eighty-third year. Mrs. Baesemann was reared in the Methodist Episcopal faith. Mr. Baesemann has taken much interest in public movements here and was a member of the committee of prominent citizens that brought about the locating of the creamery here, an important business enterprise of this section. He is financially interested in the Marathon County Tile Company. He was reared in the Lutheran faith, the church edifice being erected on his land.


Bannach, John S. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 966-967

JOHN S. BANNACH. When the village of Stratford, Wis., was organized out of the town of Cleveland, John S. Bannach, as one of the most reliable citizens, was selected for the office of village treasurer, in which he has served ever since. He was born at Milan, Wis., June 21, 1877, and is a son of Joseph and Mary Bannach, the latter of whom is deceased.

John S. Bannach attended both public and parochial schools, in boyhood, and then learned his trade, although he had been already earning wages by driving a team in Marathon City, after school hours. For two years he worked in the blacksmith shop of August Grunewald, for four months he was in the town of Athens, and then for nineteen months traveled as a journeyman throughout the Northwest. He then started a blacksmith shop of his own at Marathon City and remained there for some time. At Stratford he conducts a first-class blacksmith and general repair shop and manufactures both wagons and sleighs. He is one of the prosperous business men of the village.

Mr. Bannach married Miss Clara Nowak, a daughter of Joseph and Theresa Nowak, the former of whom died at Edgar, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Bannach have five children, with ages ranging from ten to two years: Clara, Mary, John, Loretta and George. The family belongs to the Catholic church. He belongs to the Catholic Order of Foresters and to the Eagles. In politics he is an independent voter.


Barber, Joseph (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 701-702

JOSEPH BARBER, M. D., physician and surgeon at Marathon City, Was born at Charlestown, Wis., March 24, 1864, and is a son of Joseph and Frances (Demouth) Barber. The father of Dr. Barber was born in New York and became a shipbuilder and when he came to Wisconsin located on a farm in Calumet county on which he lived for thirty-two years, moving then to Clark county, where his death occurred in his seventy-second year. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and was buried with Masonic honors at Greenwood, Wis. He was also an Odd Fellow. A Republican in politics he had served in public offices both in Calumet and Clark counties. He and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. She was a native of New Jersey but was married in New York and died in Clark county, Wis., when aged seventy years.

Dr. Joseph Barber was the fifth born in a family of eight children. One brother, who is a graduate of the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, and of the University of Chicago, is a Presbyterian minister. Another brother, who is principal of the schools of Withee, Wis., has taught school for thirty-four years, and Dr. Barber had two sisters who taught school, all the family being intellectually gifted. After completing the public school course at Chilton, Wis., Joseph Barber spent one year in the University of Illinois and then entered the Kansas City Medical College, where he was graduated in the class of 1896. Prior to coming to Marathon City on April 7, 1906, Dr. Barber practiced at Greenwood, in Clark county, and one year at Collins, was health officer at Greenwood and for two years county coroner of Clark county, and while in Clark county served as the first president of the Metallic Screen Company. When he entered into practice at Marathon City he succeeded Dr. Taughter. On June 1, 1910, he remodeled the old city hall and has utilized it ever since as a drug store, the family residence being on N. Maine street. He is examiner for the Germania Lodge, E. F. U., for the K. O. T. M., and for a number of insurance organizations, while his private practice extends eighteen miles both north and south of the village, sixteen miles west and eight miles east. He is an ex-member of the Wisconsin State Board of Health and belongs to county, state and national medical bodies.

On September 1, 1899, Dr. Barber was married to Miss Ella Webb, of Galesville, Wis., a daughter of George and Mary (Hammond) Webb, the former of whom was born at Bedford, England, and the latter at Barndydum, England. Mrs. Barber is the youngest of their three children. Dr. and Mrs. Barber have one daughter, Mildred, who attends school. Dr. Barber belongs to the Methodist Episcopal and Mrs. Barber to the Presbyterian church. She is secretary of the E. F. U., and belongs to the Rebekahs and in 1907 took the Grand Lodge of Ashland degrees of Assembly and Chivalry. Dr. Barber is a progressive Republican. At the time the handsome school building was erected at Marathon City he was chairman of the committee in securing the public school. He is a stockholder in the Marathon Telephone Company and in the Marathon Zigler Hamburg Company, and fraternally is identified with the M. W. of A., the E. F. U., the G. N. G., and has taken the Canton high degree of Odd Fellowship and is one of the committee of the Wisconsin Encampment.


Bardeen, Charles V. (1850 - 1903)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, pages 556-557

* CHARLES V. BARDEEN, lawyer, Wausau. Was born in Brookfield, Madison Co., N.Y., Sept. 23, 1850, and lived there until 1854, when his parents, Rasselas and Maria (Palmer) Bardeen, came to Albion, Dane Co., Wis. His father was accidentally killed in Albion, Dec. 8, 1874, by a wagon running over him; his mother still lives on the old homestead, where Charles Bardeen lived until 1871, when he went to Colorado Springs, Col., staying there one year; then in Pueblo, six months, and in Del Norte about six months, when he returned to Albion, remaining there until 1874. He graduated from the law department of Wisconsin University, having attended in the classical course prior to that time. He read law in Edgerton, Rock Co., Wis., before going to Madison. He came to Wausau, June 28, 1875, with Roger Spooner; they were in partnership about eight months. Since October, 1878, Mr. Bardeen had been in partnership with Gen. J. A. Kellogg. He has been District and City Attorney. Mr. Bardeen was married, in Albion, Dane Co., Wis., June 17, 1876, to Frankie H. Miller. They have two children, Eleanor M. and an infant son. Mrs. Bardeen is a daughter of Benjamin S. and Martha (Coon) Miller.

Source: Dictionary of Wisconsin Biography

lawyer, judge, b. Brookfield, N.Y. In 1855 he moved to Wisconsin with his family and settled on a farm in Albion, Dane County. After graduating from Albion Academy (1870), he taught school, and then went to Colorado, but returned to Wisconsin, studied law, graduated from the Univ. of Wisconsin law department (1875), and was admitted to the bar. He then moved to Wausau, where he practiced law and was superintendent of city schools (1881-1891). A Republican, he held minor local offices and was elected first judge of the newly established 16th circuit in Apr., 1891, and was re-elected in 1897. In Feb., 1898, he was appointed to fill a vacancy on the state supreme court; at the following April election, he was returned for the remainder of the unexpired term, and served until his death. Who's Who in Amer., 2 (1901); Wis. Reports, 119 (1903), pp. xlii-li; J. R. Berryman, ed., Bench and Bar of Wis. (2 vols., Chicago, 1898); Madison Democrat, Mar. 21, 1903; WPA MS.


Barney, A. B. (1835 – 1910)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 233

A. B. Barney was born at Mayville, Dodge county, Wisconsin, June 2, 1835; attended the public school of his native town, one term at the Whitewater Normal School, and for a short time the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, then studied law in the office of A. K. Delaney in Mayville; was admitted to the bar in 1878 and removed to Spencer, Marathon county, after his admission, where he practiced his profession and dealt some in real estate. He had natural ability, but found no opportunity in the little village to make a mark in his profession, his law business being confined nearly entirely to justice court practice. He died in 19I0, having been at different times in the last years of his life an inmate of the state hospital at Winnebago, Wisconsin. He left no family.


Barnum, Mark H. (1834 – 1904)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* MARK H. BARNUM, proprietor and editor of The Torch of Liberty, Wausau. Was born in Syracuse, N.Y., March 14, 1834. He settled in Rosendale, Fond du Lac, June 1856, where he lived about one and one-half years. He then came to Wausau, where he kept a boarding house for one of the mill companies. Then he practiced law for about eighteen years. He was occupied for two years as local editor of the Wisconsin River Pilot, and then he established The Torch of Liberty. He was married in Glen Aubrey, N.Y., Dec. 6, 1854, to Phoeba T. Reynolds, who was born in Albany County, in June, 1836. They have six children – Charles H., Ada I., William M., Mark H., May and Bessie G.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 235-236

M. H. Barnum led a long and varied life. He was a native of Syracuse, New York, born March 14, 1834. After spending a little over a year in Rosendale, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, he came to Wausau in 1857, and for a while managed a mill boarding house. He conducted religious services in the Methodist church; was admitted to practice law, and for a little over a decade practiced this, his profession, at the same time running the river, and at least on one occasion piloted out a fleet. He at one time had a furniture store and shop on McClellan street. He left Wausau to look up another location, but returned after a short absence and edited the Wisconsin River Pilot for two years; then, in 1877, founded a paper of his own, The Torch of Liberty, of which he was the editor and manager until he sold it in 1894. It was first advocating the principles of the Greenback party, but after a few years became a stalwart Republican newspaper. He enlisted in the Civil war from 1861 to December 2, 1862, serving in the Potomac Army; participated in the siege of Yorktown, the battle of Williamsburg, and the seven days' fighting before Richmond. About 1897 he took up a homestead in Vilas county and opened a summer resort on Lake Shishebogama, a short distance west from Minocqua. M. H. Barnum was a fluent speaker and his knowledge of the ways, feelings and manners of the pinery boys made him a valuable adjunct in the political battles in the ninth and later the tenth congressional district. He was married in New York December 6, 1854, to Phoeba T. Reynolds, who with their six children, Charles, Ada Gearhard, May Barry, William, Mark H., and Bessie, survive him. He died at Wausau July 31, 1904.


Barrett, C. C. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 946-947

C. C. BARRETT, who has been prominently identified with the development of Edgar, Wis., coming here in 1893, after successful business experiences in other sections, was born in Blooming Grove township, Dane county, Wis., three miles from Madison, December 25, 1858, a son of James W. and Jane (May) Barrett, who came from Wethersfield, Conn., in 1847. Their ancestors were some of the first settlers of Wethersfield, Conn., who came from Sussex, England, A. D. 1640, and settled in Roxbury, Mass., and later at Weathersfield, Conn. They had four children, two sons surviving, C. C. and a brother, Clifford P. Barrett, the latter of whom is a resident of Chicago, Ill.

James W. Barrett, the father, who was a private in Company G, 29th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, died in the service of the United States. In November, 1863, the family moved from Wisconsin to Wethersfield, Conn.

C. C. Barrett was educated at Weathersfield and Bridgeport, Conn. He then became a commercial traveler for a wholesale boot and shoe house of Hartford, Conn., and continued in that line for ten years when he moved to Kansas City and became connected with the Missouri Pacific Railroad as ticket agent and traveling passenger agent, remaining eight years, and for the three following years was manager of the Ada Mining Company and was stationed at Joplin, Mo. He then became interested in the mining business, which occupied his attention until November, 1893, when he came to Edgar. Here he first engaged in logging, but soon embarked in the real estate business, his holdings covering a wide territory. A man of enterprise and foresight, he soon was chosen for leadership in the developing of this section. He served three years as postmaster of Edgar and erected the first special post office building ever put up in Marathon county, Edgar having a building even before any such particular structure had been erected at Wausau. He then organized the Edgar Land Company, which laid out forty acres in town lots, the north side of the village, and in three and one-half days had a half mile of street with sidewalks graded. The property was thus made so presentable that the sale of lots was thereby more easily brought about and life was introduced into every avenue of business. He also laid out forty acres about one-half mile distant from the old town of Rib Falls, in connection with the Rib Falls Land Company, and in carrying on the work of improvement here made use of six railroad wheel scrapers, grading roads. He helped to organize the Edgar, Cassel & Emmett Telephone Company, of which he is an official and is president of the Edgar Local Telephone Company, which company installed and operated the first telephone exchange in Marathon county outside of Wausau. In politics he is a republican, for eighteen years has been a justice of the peace and was the first police judge elected at Edgar after the incorporation as a village.

In 1903 Mr. Barrett was married to Mrs. Clara B. Minshall, a daughter of Mathias and Anna Blumer, of La Crosse county, Wis. They have three children: Clifford' C., Jane May and Charles J., and son Cyrus B. Minshall by a former marriage of Mrs. Barrett. Mr. and Mrs. Barrett attend the Presbyterian church.


Bartel, Wm. (Murder of His Child – 1889)
Source: Wisconsin State Journal (Madison, Dane County, Wis.) Friday, 22 Feb. 1889

The case of Wm. Bartel, of Wausau, now serving sentence in the county jail for inhuman treatment of his child, now looks serious. He was left at home with a babe five weeks old, while his wife went to church, and, becoming enraged by its cries, threw it upon the floor, injuring it so seriously that it has since died.


Elton Bauch (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 9

Born on the farm in 1914, he took it over in 1938.
He was married to Grace Marie Bultman in that year. She was the daughter of Gerrit Bultman, sr., of the Town of Plover. She was born in Kenosha in 1916.
They greatly enlarged the farm buildings, and added land in Sections 15, 26, 27 and 23, and in the Town of Norrie.
They retired about 1970, and have a home on the SE corner of the home farm.
Their children are:
Elton, jr. (Town of Plover)
Elaine
Mildred (Janesville)
Lillian
Laura
Ramona
Marian (Town of Plover)


Elton Bauch, Jr. (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 9

He took over his father's farm early in 1977.

NOTES.
Fred Bauch,jr. also lived in the Town of Plover during the period from 1915 to 1933, on the South Pollroad, at the W1/2/SE1/2 of Section 22.
The 1930 Farmers' Directory also lists Carl F. Bauch as living in Section 36 with his family (his wife May, and children Myron, Helen and Stanley), the land being rented from Fred Bauch.
Fred and Sophie Bauch were married at Manitowoc in 1888.


Ervin Bauch (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 8

Ervin was born in the Town of Plover in 1903.
His parents were Fred and Sophie Bauch, who had moved to the Town of Plover in 1902. Fred was born in Germany, date unknown, and Ervin's mother, born Sophie Wickes, was from Manitowoc.
Ervin Bauch bought the farm formerly belonging to Fred Thomas, about 1937.
He married Grace MacDonald in 1933. Her folks had lived around Crivitz, and her grandmother, who was part Indian, was from Brothertown.
They farmed there until 1952, and then worked in Wausau until he died in 1957. Mrs. Bauch had died in 1955.
They had two daughters:
Donna (Madison)
Mrs. Edw. Meyer (Wautoma)

NOTES.
Farm was bought by a brother, Elton, Town of Plover.


Fred Bauch (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 9

He was born in Germany in the year of 1858, but the city of his birth is not known, He came to the United States with an uncle at an early age, so nothing is known about his parents.
He was married about 1886 to Sophie Wickes, who was born in Manitowoc in 1868.
They came to the Town of Plover in 1902, and settled on the SE of the SE, of Section 35.They farmed there until about 1934, when the Platbook shows it as belonging to a son Herbert.
In 1936 Fred Bauch died, and the farm was taken over by another son, Elton, in 1938. Mrs. Bauch died in l945.
Their children were:
Minnie (Mrs. Chas. Matzke)
Adeline (Mrs. Nick Christl)
Fred, Jr. (deceased)
Herbert (Sun Prairie)
Elton
Ervin
Carl (moved to California)


Armand Bauer (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 10

Born in Antigo, in 1893. Brother of Chris and Mike Bauer.
Moved to Plover with his mother, and grew up there.
He took over his stepfather's farm in Sec. 10 between 1926 and 1930.
Married Mrs. Bessie Wiling, Aniwa. Sold farm in 1966, and moved to Birnamwood, where he died in 1972.

NOTES.
All three Bauer boys were veterans of World War One.


Chris. Bauer (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 10

Born at Antigo in 1891.
Stepfather was Julius Meyer.
His mother, Mrs. Bauer, married Julius Meyer and moved to the Town of Plover with her four children, of whom Chris was the oldest. She was the former Barbara Bluhm of Baden-Baden,
Germany, born in 1869.
Chris grew up on the Meyer farm in Section 10, and later married Adelia Kautza, daughter of Charles Kautza of the Town of Plover.
They bought the farm on the SE/NE, Sec.16, between 1915-18, and farmed there until after 1945. They eventually moved to Wausau, and he became assistant Highway Superintendant for Marathon County.
He died in 1958. Mrs. Bauer died in _____. No children.


Michael Bauer (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 10

He was born in Antigo in 1895.
He moved to the Town of Plover when his widowed mother married the widower Julius Meyer.
Mrs. Bauer, the former Barbara Bluhm, was born in Baden - Baden, Germany in 1869, and had four children by her first marriage, of whom Michael was the second youngest.

He married Earsie Wincentsen of the Town of Plover in ____.
She was born in 1904, the daughter of Peter Wincentsen, on the NW/NE of Sec. 12.
After working out for a number of years they bought the farm of John Vogel in Section 15, and farmed there from 1930 until 19141, and also served as Assessor from 1934 to 1940.
They moved to a farm in the Town of Maine in 1942, and he farmed there and worked at the Kraft Plant for 18 years, before retiring. He is now 82 years of age.


Bauman, Sharla Jean (Baptism – 28 May 1961)
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 1 June 1961

* Mr. and Mrs. Merlin Bauman entertained relatives Sunday in honor of their infant daughter, Sharla Jean, who was baptized Sunday morning at St. John Am. Lutheran church in the town of Wein with Pastor A. J. Zaiser officiating. Sponsors were Mrs. Glen Pilgrim of Stevens Point and Eldred Wenzel of Edgar. Mrs. Bauman is the former Sharon Dawn Wenzel, daughter of the Norman Wenzels of Colby, Route 1. The Baumans have one other daughter, Sheila Joan.


Baumann, Richard (Bios from 1881 and 1913)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* RICHARD BAUMANN, hardware merchant, Wausau, was born in Germany, Sept. 24, 1839, and came to America in 1859, locating in Milwaukee, Wis., where he lived five years. In 1864, he came to Wausau (he was employed as a tinner in Milwaukee); engaged in hardware, tinware, and stove trade for himself, since locating in Wausau. Now he has the largest stock of hardware in Wausau. He was married in Milwaukee July 9, 1864, to Emma Lattermann, who was born in Turingen, Germany. They have two children, Anna and Agnes. Mr. Baumann was Alderman one term, and has been a member of the fire department for a year and a half.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 648

RICHARD BAUMANN, hardware merchant and president of the R. Baumann Hardware Company of Wausau, has lived in this place for many years, coming in 1864 and being now the oldest hardware man in the city in point of years in the trade. He was born in Germany, September 24, 1839, and is a son of Henry and Wilhelmina Baumann.

Richard Baumann remained in Germany until he was nineteen years of age, attending school and also learning the tinsmith trade. After reaching the United States he made his way to Milwaukee in 1859 and there worked as a tinsmith. It was through the encouragement of Jacob Paff that he came to Wausau, Mr. Paff at that time operating a general store, and for two years Mr. Baumann continued in the employ of Mr. Paff and then started a tin shop of his own. As trade increased he expanded his business so that it gradually included a full line of hardware and Mr. Baumann keeps abreast with the times in his line, his stock including all the thoroughly proved goods as well as the later improvements and the newly invented ones. He has much that is interesting to tell concerning the changes that have come about not only in his own line of trade but in other directions since he embarked in the business some forty-six years ago.

In 1864, just prior to leaving Milwaukee for Wausau, Mr. Baumann was married to Miss Emma Lattermann, who was also born in Germany, and five children were born to them, the two survivors being: Anna, a widow (Mrs. Dobring), residing at Wausau; and Agnes, who is the wife of Henry J. Seim. Mrs. Emma Baumann died April 10, 1913.

When Mr. Baumann went into business he began on Third street, on the site of his early store in 1880 erecting his handsome Baumann Building. In 1898 he erected the handsome brick residence that he subsequently sold to his son-in-law, Henry J. Seim. Mr. Baumann is a member of the Evangelical church.


H. A. Bean (1907)
Source: Early and late Mosinee, by Edger E. Ladu (1907) pages 138-140

H. A. Bean was a young man about thirty years of age when he first came to Wisconsin. He was a man of rare natural abilities and educational qualifications
rather above the ordinary. He was a graduate of the Military Academy at West Point, a government institution. He served in the regular army as corporal for a number of years and came to Wisconsin at the close of his service. This was in the early fifties. Soon after coming to the state he made the aquaintance of a young lady school teacher, Miss Triphena A. Moore, living at Waukesha, to whom he was married. Not finding suitable employment in that place he came with his wife to Mosinee, where he soon found employment as bookkeeper for Mr. Joseph Dessert, the lumberman and mill owner of Mosinee, in whose employ in that capacity he remained while he lived.

Mr. Bean was the only highly educated man in the whole township, which soon became apparent. He was elected to the office of town clerk, which office he held
until his death. He was well versed in civil law, which the people soon realized and elected him as one of the justices of the peace, the duties of which office he administered so impartially and judiciously that he soon was referred to as Judge Bean. Many difficult law cases were brought before him for adjudication and were disposed of to the satisfaction of the parties concerned.

Mr. Bean had a personality decidedly his own. He was never very communicative and appeared to like best to live within himself, yet lie was very pleasant to converse with. He was a man of commanding appearance, tall, broad shouldered, full breasted and straight as an arrow, weighing about one hundred and ninety pounds. He was a republican in politics and a Universalist in religious belief. His death occurred on January 2nd, 1881, being 60 years, 11 months and 12 days old. Mrs. Triphena A. Bean, his wife, continued to live at Mosinee with her children for a number of years. When her son-in-law, Oliver Paup, moved with his family to California Mrs. Bean concluded to go with them to the land of continual flowers, where she remained for a
few years, but the climate not being suitable for her health, she returned to Mosinee and made her home with another son-in-law, Mr. Bartholimew Keefe, where she died August 5, 1895.

Mr. and Mrs. Bean have the distinction of being the parents of the first white child born within the limits of what is now the village of Mosinee. The child died in infancy.


Becker, John J. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* JOHN J. BECKER, general superintendent of F. W. Kickbusch’s planing mill, sash and door factory, Wausau. He settled in Oshkosh in 1861, and followed the lumber and manufacturing business until he enlisted in Co. E, 32d Wis. V. He served until the close of the war, and was mustered out July, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. Then he returned to Oshkosh and engaged in his former occupation, and remained until the great fire there in April, 1875, at which time he suffered the loss, which left him without business. He came to Wausau in April, 1877, and has since followed his trade there. He was born in France, June 3, 1839. He was married at Oshkosh, December, 1867, to Emma Gustavus, who was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1845. They have six children – John R., Albert F., Frederick R., Alma R., Mary L., and Helen E.


Beebe, M. P. (1833 - 1901)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* M. P. BEEBE, lumberman, Wausau, was born in the town of Chester, Warren Co., N.Y., in September, 1833, and in 1851 moved to Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., and lived in Portville and that vicinity for one year. In the Spring of 1852, came to Mineral Point, Wis., and in 1853 came to Wausau, and has been in this region ever since. His business and residence were at Pine River seventeen years of the time, prior to four years ago. He was engaged in mill-wrighting until the war, since then he has been engaged in lumbering. Mr. Beebe was married in Wausau, in March, 1874, to Martha Annette Armstrong, who was born in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y. They have one child living, Belvia C. Lost three children; Walter, who died at the age of eighteen months; Edmond, who died at the age of four years and nine months, and Frederick, who died in infancy.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 231-232

M. P. Beebe was born in Pottersville, New York, and came to Wausau when it was in its infancy, in 1852; was a millwright by trade and was busy as such in the mills in and around Wausau, and in 1862 took up his residence and charge of the Pine River mill under his brother-in-law, Edw. Armstrong. The mill passed into the possession of John L. Davies in 1868, but Mr. Beebe was retained as general manager of the sawing and logging department until 1877, when he returned to Wausau and engaged in the lumber business on his own account. He associated himself with J. E. Leahy and they built the saw mill now known as the Mortinson and Stone mill. Mr. Beebe withdrew from the concern in 1890, and took a homestead near Minocqua, on the so-called "Water Reserve Lands," Vilas county, where he kept a summer resort on Tomahawk lake, well patronized by Wausau people. He sold his resort in the year 1900, and returned to Wausau, where he died October 27th, 1901.

M. P. Beebe had many noble qualities of mind and heart; he was confiding and trustworthy, but suffered losses by relying on representations of men who betrayed his confidence. With his employees he was always on the best of terms and deservedly popular with all classes of people. He left only a moderate competency for his wife, who did not long survive him, and one child, a son, now in business in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

related article: Armstrong, Martha Annette (Marriage – 13 Mar. 1862)


Reno Eugeni Beckwith (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 11

Born, in 1891, he was married to Grace Margaret Cain, who was born In Burdick, Indiana in 1886, and was the daughter of Ed. Cain of the Town of Plover, Section 24.
They lived on the SW/NE of Section 34 from before 1920 until about 1925.
They built a house on the premises, which was sometimes known as the Sears Roebuck House, probably of pre-cut packaged materials, which was a novelty in an area where log houses were still common.
The Beckwiths had four children, as follows:
Kenneth Leroy (Milwaukee)
Marian (deceased as infant)
Mildred B. Van der Plai (California)
Ethel Neuens (Wauwatosa)


Behrents, Joyce (Graduation – 1957)
Source: Abbotsford Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 6 June 1957 

* Joyce Behrents graduates as typist from the Wausau Vocational Adult School, which she attended the past year. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Behrents, attended commencement exercises Friday evening at the Youth building in Marathon Park.


Bellis, George F. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* GEORGE F. BELLIS, hotel and restaurant, Wausau, came to Berlin, Wis., in 1854, and began the restaurant business. He remained there about eight years; and then went to Plainview, Minn., where he lived two years; from there he returned to Berlin, remaining six years; then he went to Waupaca, where he remained about two years; then he came to Wausau. He was born in Dundee, Yates Co., N.Y., April 21, 1829. He was married in Weyauwega, Sept. 10, 1858, to Mary Jane Young; she was born in Central Square, Oswego Co., N.Y., July 15, 1839. They have two sons, Lewell R., and Mark G.


Bellis, Mark G. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 955-956

MARK G. BELLIS, the president of the Bellis Hotel Company, is a young man, coming to Wausau with his parents in 1873. He graduated with honor from the Wausau High School and then acted as bookkeeper for the Bellis Hotel, which had assumed large proportions by this time. He might be named as the founder of the baseball sport in Wausau, he being the first to organize a club, and play with such amateurs as Rev. Hagemann, C. V. Bardeen and other professional men, until the play had become popular and a permanent club was organized at Wausau. It was through his efforts mainly that Wausau entered into the state league with Illinois and later with Minnesota and Illinois again, having a professional team for over ten years, and he is now again the president of the Wausau team, nicknamed "Lumber Jacks." Thoroughly devoted to clean sport, he is one of the most popular men of Wausau and also an adept with rod and line, an expert in luring the subtle trout from the depths of the creek. As a member of the noble fraternity of Elks he has taken a prominent part in the varied entertainments staged by this order. But not only in recreations is he found in the foremost ranks, but in everything appertaining to the welfare of the city he takes a prominent part. As a citizen he has the courage of his convictions and has always acted with the Democratic party in state and national affairs.

As a landlord he has no superior and this city is justly proud of the Bellis Hotel with its excellent accommodations. Mark G. Bellis was born in the city of Berlin, Wis., a son of George F. Bellis and his wife, Mary Jane (Young), on the 14th day of September, 1862, and became manager of the Bellis Hotel Company in 1898, when it incorporated, and has been its president since the death of his father, George F. Bellis, in December. 1905. On September 13, 1903, he was married to Miss Alberta Schoonover, of Oshkosh, Wis., and two children were born to them: Margaret and Mary Jane.


Belz, Hugo R. K. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 680-681

HUGO R. K. BELZ, who is serving in the honorable office of president of the town of Athens, Wisconsin, is also one of the well known business men, dealing in a general line of clothing in connection with his tailor shop. He was born in Germany, October 14, 1874, and is a son of Edward and Wilhelmine (Miehlke) Belz. The father of Mr. Belz was a butcher by trade and spent his entire life in Germany, where he died in 1880. The mother kept her children together and in 1893 came to the United States with Frederick, Hugo and Paul. Emily, the eldest, had married Henry Hinz.

Hugo Belz attended school in Germany until he was eighteen years old going through the full elementary course including Latin and French. After he secured work in a store at Appleton, Wis., where the family first settled, he applied himself to books at night, helped by his knowledge of French and Latin, and thus learned the English language. After completing his apprenticeship to the tailor's trade he made preparations to go into business for himself and opened his present store at Athens on September 1, 1901. He carries a dependable class of goods, is honest, courteous and obliging and has many personal as well as business friends in this village. He has taken much interest in the well being and proper government of the town and has served as a member of its council for many years and is also one of the directors of the High School.

On June 26, 1900, Mr. Belz was married to Miss Minnie Carstens, who was born in Fond du Lac county, Wis., a daughter of John and Dorothy (Schwartz) Carstens. The mother of Mrs. Belz is deceased but the father survives and conducts a butcher shop at Medford, Wis. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Carstens were: Theodore; Louis; Rose, who is deceased, was the wife of William Hansman; Emma; Minnie, who is Mrs. Belz; Lilly, who is the wife of Herman Marks; Catherine, who is the wife of Joseph Paustenbach; and Nellie. Mr. and Mrs. Belz have four children: Margaret, Erna, Meta and Edward. They are members of the German Lutheran church. Mr. Belz is a Democrat.


Beran, Donna Mae (Engagement – 1955)
Source: Abbotsford Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 2 June 1955 

* Mrs. Ethel Beran, Athens, Route 2, announces the engagement of her daughter, Donna Mae, to Mr. Lyle J. Belanger. The ceremony will take place July 9, at the Bethlehem Lutheran church at Milan. 

Mr. Belanger is the son of Mrs. Margaret Belanger, Route 2, Athens.


Beran, Rodney (Scholarship – 1959)
Source: Abbotsford Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 14 May 1959 

* Mrs. Ethel Beran and son, Rodney, have been invited to attend an awards night banquet and program at the youth hall at Wausau, Wednesday night at which time Rodney will be presented with a scholarship to the University Extension Center at Wausau. 

Rodney is one the honor students of this year’s graduating class of the Abbotsford high school.


Berghammer, Max Frank (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Saturday, 28 July 1928 

* Max Frank Berghammer was born in Germany, October 15, 1888. His parents came to this country when he was six years old, locating in Lomira, Dodge County, Wisconsin. There he attended the Catholic and public schools. Eight years later the family moved to a farm in the town of Johnson, Marathon County, near Athens. His parents are Mr. and Mrs. Frank Berghammer, still residents of Johnson. Leaving his father’s farm when 18 years old, Max worked as a salesman in the G. A. Kreutzer General Store in Athens two years. Next he operated the Athens Opera House ten years, during which time he took a course of training in a Chicago aviation school. Disposing of the opera house business, he purchased a grocery store on West Blodgett Street in this city. He conducted the store successfully until last December, when he disposed of the business to John Marx, to devote his whole time to aviation. Associated with him in the aviation business is Herman Dickof. Their airport, situated in the southern part of the city, was dedicated by Governor Zimmerman, June 24. During the greater part of the time he was in the grocery business, he had in partnership with him, his brothers-in-law, Anton and Martin Brunkalla. The former died. His interests were taken over by the latter. About a year before the business was sold, Martin’s interest was purchased by Mr. Berghammer. 

Mr. Berghammer was married to Miss Margaret Brunkalla, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Brunkalla Sr., of Athens, by the Reverend Anthony Muehlenkamp, in the Athens Catholic Church, October 17, 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Berghammer are the parents of four children: Robert 14, Margaret 12, Lillian 11 and Norman 8. 

Fraternally, he is associated with the Athens Catholic Knights of Wisconsin and the Gegenseitige Unterstuetzungs Gesellschaft Germania. He also is a member of the Medical Regiment Band of this city, and the Marshfield Bowling Association. Politically, he is a Democrat. His hobby is bowling.


Charles A. Bernier (1907 and 1913)
Source: Early and late Mosinee, by Edger E. Ladu (1907) pages 172-174

He was born in Grand Rapids, Wood County, Wisconsin, May 10th, 1861, and is a son of Louis A. and Clementine (Blenchette) Bernier. Both parents were born in Canada. Charles A. Bernier was educated in the Grand Rapids public and high schools. On completing his education, he engaged in several occupations until the year 1882, when he came to Mosinee and entered as clerk and general salesman in the mercantile establishment of Joseph Homier for two years. After leaving the employ of Mr. Homier, he was employed by Mr. David Roberts in his store as manager, clerk and bookkeeper. He held that position for eight years. On May 13th, 1885 he was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Keefe, and to them have been born four
children, three of whom are living. Eva Marie, born October 22nd, 1889, Charles Alexander, born February 22nd, 1892, and Willis Owen Francis, born December
2nd, 1894. In 1892 Mr. Bernier entered into partnership with Mr. W. F. LaDu in the general mercantile business, in which connection he still remains. Mr. Bernier, when he came to the village of Mosinee, found his ideal of a locality in which to test his ability in battling with the various forces with which all business men meet in their pursuit of financial success. He soon found an opening and started in on the track of fortune which is ever ready to elude the grasp of the pursuer. The merchants were not long in discovering the business abilities of the young man, and his services were in demand. Being steady, industrious, careful and energetic in his duties, he was soon in a position where he could look forward with some degree of encouragement. He was a young man of fine appearance, somewhat on the good looking order, and the ladies soon vied with each other in their endeavor to attract his attention. He being rather modest, eluded their glances for a short time only. He was then caught by the
alluring smiles of one of the young ladies of Mosinee. He has always been the very pink of propriety in his daily intercourse with his fellow man. He is strictly a gentleman in every respect. He has been successful in securing a fair amount of worldly goods, is interested in considerable real estate here in Wisconsin, and also owns a valuable timber tract in California. His social standing is among the best. He is connected with
several fraternal orders, the Catholic Knights, Knights of Columbus, and the Catholic order of Foresters. He strictly attends to his own business interests and lets other business men handle their affairs to suit themselves. He is a genuine democrat in his political belief and would like to see his party win every time. Mr. Bernier has served a number of terms as supervisor of the village, and has been for a number of years, and is now one of the members of the school board of Mosinee. The whole family attend the Catholic church.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 906

CHARLES A. BERNIER, owner and proprietor of a general store at Mosinee, Wisconsin, has been more or less identified with merchandising all his business life. He was born at Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, May 10, 1861, and is a son of Louis Alexander and Clementine (Blanchette) Bernier. His parents were natives of Canada and his father followed lumbering. He is one of the following family of children, all of whom survive except the second born: Arminigile, Zellier, Charles A., Delvine, Frank, Laura, Louis A. and Mary.

Charles A. Bernier attended first the public school and then became a pupil of the Howe School at Grand Rapids, after which he was a clerk in a general store in that city for four years. He came then to Mosinee and for fourteen more years was connected with mercantile firms, when he became associated in business with Hon. Willis F. La Du, and for twenty years their continued their mercantile partnership and are still connected in their real estate enterprises.

In 1884 Mr. Bernier was married to Miss Maggie Keefe, who was born in West Virginia, a daughter of John Keefe, who engaged in farming near Mosinee after coming to Marathon county. Mr. and Mrs. Bernier have three children: Charles A., Willis Owen, and Eva, who is assistant superintendent of the schools of Marathon county. They are members of the Catholic church and Mr. Bernier belongs to the Knights of Columbus and to the Catholic Order of Foresters. In politics he is a Democrat.


Berres, Matthew J. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 651-652

MATTHEW J. BERRES, a representative man of the town of Rib Falls, who has served in the office of town clerk for the past thirteen years, is a general farmer owning land, lying in section 19, four and one-half miles north of Edgar, Wis. He was born at Kewaskum, Washington county, Wis., November 20, 1863, and is a son of John and Catherine (Rodermund) Berres.

John Berres was born in Germany and was seventeen years old when he accompanied his parents in 1848, to America. They were very early settlers in Washington county, Wis., and located near the present little village of St. Michaels, where they found a home, in a vast uncut timber tract. Some years later he married Catherine Rodermund, also born in Germany, whose parents, Paul and Barbara (Miller) Rodermund, had emigrated in 1847 and had settled in Washington county, Wis. In the spring of 1880 they emigrated to Marathon county and located on the land in the town of Rib Falls, now owned by Matthew J. Berres, and in order to reach it had to clear a path through the dense underbrush.

He was a hard-working man, spending his time clearing his land and afterward cultivating it, thus providing for his family, contributing to the support of the Catholic church, and giving help to his neighbors as they settled about him. When election day came around he went to the polls and voted the Democratic ticket, believing his duty as a citizen was thus performed, but otherwise he bothered very little about politics.

His death occurred at Wausau, when aged sixty-nine years. His wife died two years later, and they were interred in the Trinity Catholic cemetery at Poniatowski. They were parents of five sons and four daughters, two of the daughters and one of the sons being now deceased.

Matthew J. Berres attended the country schools in boyhood and later the West Bend school and at the age of sixteen he came with his parents to Marathon county. For some years afterward he worked in mills on the river and in logging camps and for two years was a clerk in a store after which he spent one year in the state of Washington. Returning to Marathon county in 1890 he was married to Miss Agnes Hettig, who was born in Marathon county, a daughter of Michael Hettig, a former resident of Marathon City. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Berres located at Marshfield, Wis., where he followed the carpenter trade for three years. When the panic of 1893 caused a widespread business depression he returned to the old homestead which he had previously bought and has resided here ever since. He now has sixty acres of his land cleared and pays considerable attention to high grade Holstein cattle for dairy purposes. He has seen many changes during his lifetime in this section and remembers when there were no roads leading through the woods around this place and the nearest point where purchases could be made was miles away. As a carpenter and contractor Mr. Berres has built many of the most substantial buildings at Poniatowski and in the vicinity.

Mr. and Mrs. Berres have the following children: Matilda, Roman T., Carrie, Minnie, Matthew C., Joseph N., Gebrge Philip, Eugene Peter, Elmer Charles and Edward Michael, all born in Marathon county except the first two, who were born at Marshfield. The two eldest daughters are teachers. The family belongs to Trinity Catholic church at Poniatowski. He has served in the offices of justice of the peace, school district clerk and town clerk.


Beyreis, Kurt A. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 883-884

KURT A. BEYREIS, clerk of the courts of Marathon county, a popular and efficient public official, was born in the village of Uderslebin, Germany, October 29, 1873, and is a son of Charles and Emelie (Lehman) Beyreis. In 1882 the Beyreis family came to Marathon county and ever since have been identified with this section. Prior to the Civil War, however, Charles Beyreis, the father, had emigrated to America and for three years of this war he was a soldier in the Federal service, a member of a New York infantry regiment. After the war he returned to Germany and married there and remained until after the birth of four of his nine children, all of whom survive: Edward, who lives in Marathon county; Bertha, who is the wife of Frank Feldbruegg, of this county; Annie, who is the wife of Philip Conrad of Rib Lake, Wisconsin; Kurt A.; Richard, who lives in Marathon county; Charles, who lives in Wausau; Lena, who is the wife of Louis Hall, of this county; Emma, who is the wife of John M. Hein, of Marathon county; and Fred, who is a resident of Clark county. The mother of the above family died in January, 1912, but the father survives and resides at Dorchester, Wisconsin; for thirty years having been a farmer in Marathon county.

Kurt A. Beyreis was educated in the public schools of Holton, in the Medford High School in Taylor county, and the Northern Indiana Normal school at Valparaiso, Indiana. After leaving the above institution in 1896 he began to teach the district schools and continued for fourteen years and during this long period became well and favorably known over the county. In 1910 he was elected to the office of clerk of the circuit and municipal courts, on the democratic ticket, and subsequently was reelected and has served continuously since January 1, 1911.

On October 7, 1903, Mr. Beyreis was married to Miss Mary Feala, a daughter of John Feala. Her death occurred July 5, 1911, and three children survive her: Myrtle, aged eight years; Gertrude, aged six years; and Arthur, who is three years old. Mr. Beyreis was reared in the Lutheran faith. He belongs to the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Eagles, and also to the Commercial and Wausau Clubs.


Bielke, W. F. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 913

W. F. BIELKE, justice of the peace and general merchant at Zeigler, Wis., was born in the town of Berlin, May 11, 1865, and is a son of Henry and Augusta (Neumann) Bielkea, who were natives of Germany and among the first settlers of the town of Berlin. They had three sons and two daughters. The father died when his son, W. F., was seventeen years of age and was buried in the Lutheran cemetery in the town of Berlin.

W. F. Bielke attended the public schools in his native town and then worked on a farm until he embarked in the mercantile business, first at Naugart, where he continued for six years and then sold to A. J. Fehlhaber, after which he bought the stock and good will of George W. Zeigler, at his present place. For the entire time he was engaged at Naugart, Mr. Bielke was postmaster there and was appointed postmaster of this village and continued until the office was discontinued here. He is a stockholder in the Marathon-Zeigler telephone line, in the Marathon City Brewing Company, the George Ruder Brewing Company, and the City State Bank at Wausau, and is a member of the Berlin Fire and Lightning Insurance Company. He has served in a number of local offices, being justice of the peace and town and school clerk.

In 1890 Mr. Bielke was married to Miss Mary Crochiere, a daughter of Peter Crochiere, of Stettin, and they have five children: Ervin, Viola, Walter, Mildred and Delora. The family belong to the Lutheran church.


Claire Brayton Bird (1913 and 1919)
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 470

* CLAIRE B. BIRD (Rep.) although prominent in public life for many years, never held an elective office until elected to the senate in 1913, when he received 5,056 votes to 3,794 for Christ Bloom (Soc.). H« was born in Jefferson, Oct. 27, 1363; graduated from the Wayland Academy, Beaver Dam, in 1336; from the University of Wisconsin 1339, and the Law College 1391, since when he has practiced law in Wausau. He was appointed city attorney of Wausau in 1397 and served two years; was vice-president of the State Board of Education 1917-13, resigning when elected to the senate; and served as president of the Wisconsin State Bar Association in 1914, when he proposed the legal incorporation of all attorneys as a practical means to give adequate discipline against abuses and better control by court. The idea was later taken up by other State Bar Associations and the American Society of Judicature.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 913-915

CLAIRE BRAYTON BIRD, attorney at law, and member of the firm of Kreutzer, Bird, Rosenberry & Okoneski, was born at Jefferson, Jefferson county, Wis., October 27, 1868. His ancestry on both sides were pioneers in the very earliest settlement and building of the state.

His paternal grandfather, Col. A. A. Bird, was employed to lay out the site of the city of Madison, and to build the first capitol building, when that location was chosen for the capitol site of the state. He started with a party of forty men from Milwaukee, went through the forests to the four lakes, building his own roads and bridges, platted and laid out the city of Madison, built the first capitol building, the first court house, hotel, depot, south building of the University, and other buildings. He was also sheriff of Dane county, and mayor of Madison. As soon as the capital city site was established and sufficient housings for the family prepared, the eldest Colonel Bird removed his family from Milwaukee to that city. There his son Col. George W. Bird grew up, went through the schools, including the University; studied law, enlisted in the army, after which he practiced law at Jefferson, where his children were born. He removed back to Madison in 1886, and there practiced law until his death October 1, 1912. He was well known throughout the entire state as a leading Democrat, and one of its best lawyers.

On his mother's side, his great-grandfather, Jeremiah Brayton, moved into the Rock River Valley and established a small colony of original homesteaders. His daughter, Louise Brayton, was the first school teacher in Dane county. She subsequently married George Swain, who died in middle manhood leaving two children, a son and a daughter. The son, then the sole support of the mother and daughter, enlisted in the 29th Wisconsin, and gave up his life in the Vicksburg campaign. The daughter married Col. George W. Bird. They had five children of whom three are living, to wit: Claire Brayton Bird, Hobert S. Bird, a lawyer in New York City, and Louise B. Warren, the wife of a Chicago architect.

Claire Brayton Bird was graduated from the University of Wisconsin, in the collegiate class of 1889 and the law class of 1891. In 1892 he came to Wausau, became the junior member of the firm of Mylrea, Marchetti & Bird, which firm terminated in 1900, when it was succeeded by his present firm. On June 20, 1892, he was married to Miss Laura Eaton of Muscatine, Iowa. They have two children: Marie, now a student at Downer College, Milwaukee; and George, student at Lake Forest Academy. He is prominently identified with the Masons (of which Lodge he is now Master), the Elks (of which he has twice been Ruler) and other fraternal societies.

He has devoted himself during his twenty years residence here, almost exclusively to the practice of law. While he has taken advantage of the financial opportunities resulting from the growth of northern Wisconsin, so as to acquire for himself a substantial competence, yet he has never allowed the matter of outside investments or such other distractions to divert his attention from his main purpose and business of practicing law in this community. He is considered one of the most effective lawyers in argument of legal propositions to the court as well as able advocates before a jury that we have had in Wausau. Aside from court practice, (which is getting to be less and less important in the
work of a lawyer) he is also considered a very wise and safe counselor upon whose opinion of the law and advice as to policy, clients are accustomed to rely with safety. Mr. Bird has taken an active interest in the welfare of the Baptist church of this city, being what may properly be called a Liberal Baptist. He has also been active in politics though not seeking office. Of late years he has affiliated with the Republican party, but has always been independent and outspoken in his views and has never been a partisan of either wing.


Bissell, Walter Henry (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 669-670

WALTER HENRY BISSELL, of Wausau, one of the best known citizens of Marathon county, and one whose name is closely identified with the great lumber industry both of this and other states, was born at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, July 28, 1858, a son of Leonard C. and Cornelia (Bradley) Bissell.

Leonard C. Bissell was descended from a line of New England lumbermen. He came to Fond du Lac from Connecticut in the forties and built the first steam saw mill ever operated there. In 1861 he returned to Connecticut and enlisted in the Union army, serving until he was discharged on account of total disability, being practically disabled for life. In 1868 the family returned to Wisconsin and it was in the saw mills of that state mainly in Fond du Lac that Walter Henry Bissell and his three brothers were trained to their life work.

Mr. Bissell's boyhood was not one of leisure, his duties beginning early even while attending the district school, and by the time he was thirteen years of age he was considered old enough to provide for his own support. He began in the mill as errand boy and by 1872 was bookkeeper. In 1877 he entered the employ of the Ford River Lumber Company, at Ford River, Mich., where he remained until 1883, when he returned to Wisconsin as manager of the Brooks & Ross Lumber Company, then operating at Schofield. Five years later he became manager and secretary of the Wisconsin Valley Lumber Company, and in 1893, in association with John D. Ross, he organized the Ross Lumber Company and established a large plant at Arbor Vitae, which is still operating, cutting Wisconsin pine.

In 1905 Mr. Bissell in association with C. C. Yawkey and Walter Alexander, organized the Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Company, which acquired a tract of pine timber in Vilas county with mills at Arbor Vitae and at Hazelhurst. It is undoubtedly true that the limits of pine timber are receding; it could not be otherwise when enterprises of so extensive a character as those mentioned are yearly expanding. With the foresight that his thirty years of experience in the industry have given him, Mr. Bissell has to a large degree provided for the day when white pine can no longer be cut in Wisconsin and he and his business associates for the past ten years have interested themselves in the almost inexhaustible pine timbered lands of other sections, particularly Mississippi.

In recent years the Wausau Southern Lumber Company has established a plant, with modern equipment, near Laurel, Miss., which promises to open up an almost unsettled region, bring prosperity to that section and for many years provide one of the necessities of commerce, a fine quality of pine lumber. Of this company Walter Henry Bissell is president, and his brother, S. B. Bissell, is treasurer. His financial and official interests are numerous and among these may be mentioned: the Wausau Lumber Company, of Rib Falls, Wis.; the Bissell-Wheeler Lumber Company of Marshfield, Wis., being president of both concerns; is secretary of the Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Company, of Arbor Vitae, Wis.; is a director of the Marathon Paper Mills Company, of Rothschild, Wis.; a director of the National German-American Bank of Wausau, and a director of the Great Northern Life Insurance Company, of Wausau.

In I880 Mr. Bissell married Elizabeth M. Boardman, of Ford River, Michigan, who died in 1897, and by whom he has two sons and three daughters: May, who is the wife of W. W. Gamble; F. K., who is connected with the business of the Bissell-Wheeler Lumber Company at Marshfield; J. M., who is superintendent of the Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Company, of Arbor Vitae; Katherine and Margaret who still grace the Wausau home. In April, 1898, he married Miss Grace Gamble at Wausau, in which city he continues to reside. One son has been born to them, Walter Henry, Jr., now attending school at Wausau. Mr. Bissell and family attend the First Presbyterian church at Wausau. He is a Mason of high degree, a Knight Templar and Shriner. His social relations are with the Wausau Club and the Wausau Country Club.


Blair, Clitus S. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 570

* CLITUS S. BLAIR, proprietor Fall City House, Mosinee. He was born in Mosinee, March 29, 1856. He attended the public schools at Mosinee, and afterward he entered the University at Appleton, where he remained a short time, and was obliged to discontinue his contemplated course on account of ill health. He was married Sept. 18, l878, to Ella M. Wilcox, who was born in Ohio, July 18, 1853.


Frank Blank ( C.F. ) (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 12

He was born at Readfield, Waupaca County in 1878.
He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Blank, his father having been born in Germany in 1825, and who died in 1897 at Readfield,.and his mother being the former Henrietta
Kraege, born in Bromberg, Posen, Kingdom of Prussia in 1836, and who died in 1887. Her parents were Gottfried and Elanora Kraege, who were born in 1805 and 1811 respectively, and who died in 1889 and 1892 respectively, at Readfield.
Frank Blank lived in various locations in the Town of Plover, and owned, lived on and operated a sawmill on the NW of the SW, Section 24. His wife Mary was born in Germany in 1874.
They had a sawmill later at Big Falls. Frank died at Shawano, and is buried there.
They had three sons: Charles, Albert and Joseph. Charles lived at Iola a few yew years ago.

NOTES.
Frank Blank was an uncle of the compiler of this index.
His sister was Clara Blank, who married Arthur P. Schmitt at Sheboygan in 1893. (see page 112). She was born at Readfield in 1875. When she was twelve years old her mother died and she lived with her half-sister Mrs. Charles Vogel, at Antigo, from 1887 until 1892. (see Page 140), and during this period she learned the tailoring trade from a Mr. Bulow. She then moved to Sheboyan with a Mrs. Weaver (later of Pelican Lake), an spent most of her life
there. She lived the last four years of her life in the Town of Plover, where she died in 1962. She is buried at Wildwocd Cemetery, Sheboygan.

Gottfried and Elenora Kraege came to Wisconsin in 1858, settling in the Township of Caldedonia, Waupaca County. They bought their farm in 1861, consisting of several forties, their home buildings being located on the SW1/2 of the NW1/2 of Section 22. In 1870 they sold their farm to their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. George Blank. Gottfried and Elanora and George and Henrietta Blank are all buried in the Lutheran Church Cemetery at Readfield.


Blecha, Frank N. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 961-962

FRANK N. BLECHA, whose productive farm of 100 acres lies in Rietbrock township, owns also a fine residence with seventeen acres of land in the village of Athens, and is one of the substantial and representative citizens of this section. He was born at Fillmore, Washington county, Wis. January 15, 1871, and is a son of Frank E. and Mary (Hubing) Blecha.

Frank E. Blecha was born in Bohemia, Germany, and was one of the early enterprising settlers of Athens, building the first hotel (year 1890) here, which he conducted for a number of years. He married Mary Hubing, who was born in Wisconsin, but was of German ancestry. They are both deceased, their children being: John, deceased; Frank N., George A., Anna, Celia, Arthur, Charles and Edwin. Anna married John E. Loomis.

Frank N. Blecha attended the public schools and later took a commercial course in a business college at Milwaukee. For the following two years he was a clerk in a grocery store and after that was with his father in the hotel, as his clerk, for two years, and after the death of his father was manager for his mother for about five years. Then he and his brother George bought the mother's interest and they continued to be partners for six years, during which time they were also in the saw mill business, buying the Big Rib Lumber Company's plant and name. In 1903 they sold the hotel, but continued a few years longer in the lumber business and then sold to the Star Lumber Company. For the next three years Mr. Blecha served as manager, secretary and treasurer of the Athens Creamery Company, when he purchased the opera house and retained that property for five years, since then devoting his time mainly to looking after his agricultural interests.

On June 23, 1897, Mr. Blecha was married to Miss Anna Fink, who was born in Austria and was nine years old when she accompanied her father to America, her mother dying previously. The father was a farmer in Marathon county and died here. His children were: John, who is deceased; Catherine, who is the wife of Joseph Beil; Christiana, deceased, who was the wife of Louis Greattinger; Mary, who is the wife of George Greattinger; Aloysius; Matilda, who is the wife of Blasus Bischel; Anna, who is the wife of Mr. Blecha; and Charles. To Mr. and Mrs. Blecha seven children were born: Beatrice, Ruth, Cecelia, Loretta, Anna, Mary and Charles. The family all belongs to the Catholic church. Mr. Blecha is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters, of the Eagles, the Elks and the G. U. G., the last named being an exclusive German organization. He is a Republican nominally, but in public matters is more apt to use his own judgment than to blindly obey any party call. He has served in a number of important positions in the government of the village.


Blecha, George M. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 686

GEORGE M. BLECHA, who is proprietor of a meat market at Athens, in which village he has valuable property interests, owns also a farm of 160 acres, situated in the town of Halsey and belongs to a well known early family of this section. He was born in 1872 and is a son of Frank E. and Mary (Hubing) Blecha.

Frank E. Blecha was born in Bohemia and came to Wisconsin in early manhood and was married in Marathon county to Mary Hubing, of German parentage. For a number of years he conducted a hotel at Athens, which was the first one in the place, and was well known all over the county. His widow survived him for some years and continued the hotel with the assistance of her sons who subsequently purchased the business and carried it on, together with a lumber business, until 1903, when they sold the property.

Mr. Blecha was in the flour and feed business here for two years prior to embarking in the meat business. On October 16, 1900, George M. Blecha was married to Miss Mary B. Chesak, a daughter of Joseph Chesak and they have two children: Almira and Lucinda. The family has always been devoted in its support of the Catholic church and Mr. Blecha belongs to the Catholic Order of Foresters and also to the strictly German organization, the G. U. G. In politics he is inclined to be an independent voter although nominally a Republican, and has never consented to accept any public office except in connection with school district No. 1, town of Halsey, serving one year as school treasurer.


Blecha, Josie Mrs. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 938-939

MRS. JOSIE BLECHA, who is the widow of John Blecha, is a daughter of Martin and Mary (Zigmund) Chesak, and is well known in and near Athens, Wis. The late John Blecha was born in Washington county, Wis., August 27, 1867, a son of Frank and Mary (Hubing) Blecha. Frank Blecha and wife were natives of Germany and both are now deceased. For some years he was proprietor of a hotel at Athens, Wis. His children were as follows: John, George, Frank, Edward, Charles, Arthur, Anna and Cecelia.

John Blecha obtained his education in the public schools and then learned the butcher's trade, which he followed for some time but later engaged in farming and died on his farm December 19, 1905, at the age of 38 years. He was married to Miss Josephine Mary Chesak on September 12, 1893. He was a Republican in politics and was a member of the Catholic church.


Bliese, Carl Jr. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 836

CARL BLIESE, Jr., proprietor of a general store at No. 522 Scott street, Wausau, has been in the mercantile business since 1908. He was born on his father's farm in the town of Texas, Marathon county, Wisconsin, November 27, 1879, and is a son of Carl and Amelia Bliese. His parents were both born in Germany and in their childhood accompanied their parents to the United States. They were reared in Wisconsin and married here and for many years the father carried on general farming in the town of Texas. He still owns his farm, having it under rental, and the family all live in a comfortable home situated on Lincoln avenue, Wausau.

Carl Bliese, Jr., was reared in the town of Texas and assisted on the home farm until he came to Wausau and embarked in his present business, purchasing from Conrad Bopf. He carries a large and well selected stock including dry goods, groceries and candies, and through pleasing manners, honest goods and square treatment, has built up a fine trade with prospects of its permanency. He has never been an active factor in politics but possesses the qualities which make that class known as the best and most effective citizens of a community.


Block, Joan (Engagement – 1957)
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 2 May 1957

* Mr. and Mrs. Harold Block have announced the engagement of their daughter, Joan, to Ray Miller, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Miller. Miss Block is a graduate of Colby High School and is employed at the office of the American Box Board Co., Inc., at Wausau.


Bloczynski, John (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Friday, 18 May 1928

John Bloczynski was born at Poniatowski, Marathon County, December 26, 1892. He attended the Catholic and public schools in the community of his birth. When he was 12 years old, he and his parents moved to Edgar, where he continued his studies in the high school. A year later hid parents moved to Athens, where they still reside, and where he made his home until locating in this city 18 years ago. At Athens he did hotel work in the employ of his father. The first year after locating in this city Mr. Bloczynski conducted the Farmers’ Home Hotel. Next he spent two years in the employ of the McCrillis Ice Company, a year and a half with the Connor Retail Lumber Company, and five years with the Marshfield Bedding Company, in whose factory he learned the trade of mattress making. In June 1926 he accepted a position in the fire department.

Mr. Bloczynski was married to Miss Rose Drewak of Athens, by Father Muehlenkamp in the Athens Catholic Church, May 1914. They are the parents of eight children: Sylvester 13, Lawrence 12, Leona 10, Raymond 7, Laverne 6, John Jr. 4, George 2, and Mary 5 months.

He is a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church and the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin. Politically, he is Independent. His hobbies are hunting and fishing.


George Blood Jr. (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 13

He was born at Clintonville in 1890, and moved with his parents (above) to Washburn Siding in 1900, and moved again a short time later to the Town of Plover.
He was married in. 1913 to Blanche Oneal, daughter of Wm. Oneal of the Town of Plover.(NW/NW, Sec.1). She was born in Ohio in 1892.
He bought the farm on the NW/NE of Sec.35 in 1920, and farmed there until about 1964 when he retired and moved to the Town of Norrie, where he lived for about eight years before moving to the Home at Birnamweod, where they now reside.
They have two children, as fellows:
Raymond (Cecil, Shawano County).
Myrna (Mrs. Kenneth Pospychalla, Wausau).

NOTES.
Mrs. George Blood, sr. (Bowen) died in 1949.
The senior Blood's children were George, Henry, James and Albert.,William and Margaret.
The census of 1905 gives the senior Mrs.'s Bloods age as 35, which would make the year of her birth 1870.


George Blood Sr. (Plover Settler)
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 13

Mr Blood was born in 1861 at South Dakota.
The family lived at Clintonville until 1900, when they moved to Washburn Siding in the Town of Aniwa, and then soon after moved to the Town of Plover. (In 1904).
They lived on the SE/NW, Sec. 26, and built the house there.
The house, now enlarged and remodelled, is owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Arne Ecker.
His wife was the former Minnie Johnson, born at Clintonville in 1868, and they were married at Clintonville.
Mr. Blood died in 1906, Mrs. Blood later married Bert Bowen, and they moved to Tomahawk in 1920, at which time George Jr. bought the farm listed below.


Blume, J. J. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 715-716

J. J. BLUME, who has been assessor of the town of Marathon for the past eight years, owns a valuable form of 128 acres lying in section 7, one-quarter mile south of Marathon City. He was born in the town of Marathon, Marathon county, Wis., May 31, 1862, and is a son of John and Augusta (Bumgartner) (Reidel) Blume. John Blume was born and grew to manhood in Germany, where he learned the shoe-making trade. He came to America when thirty-three years old and in a few years had become a prosperous business man. He opened the first general store at Marathon City, Wis., where he was postmaster for twenty-four years. Later in life he removed to Oregon where he became a farmer and died there at the age of seventy years. While a resident of Marathon City he served as village president, as town clerk and as a notary public and at one time owned considerable property here. He married Mrs. Augusta (Bumgartner) Reidel, who died also in Oregon, aged about seventy years. They were faithful members of the Catholic church. Six children were born to them.

J. J. Blume put aside his school books when he reached the age of fourteen years and for two years more assisted his father, following which he worked for eight winters in a logging camp and in a saw mill, following farming in the summer. Since his marriage in 1887, he has lived on his present farm, about one-half of which is cleared, Mr. Blume having cleared thirty acres by himself. He carries on a general farming line, does a little dairying and grows his own cattle.

On June 21, 1887, Mr. Blume was married to Miss Bertha Trauba, who was born in Germany, a daughter of Joseph and Louisa Trauba, who came to Marathon county when Mrs. Blume was three years old and here she was reared and educated. The mother died when aged fifty-two years and the father when aged seventy years and both were buried in St. Mary's cemetery. Mr. Trauba was a carpenter by trade and was well known through the town of Marathon as a skillful workman. Mr. and Mrs. Blume have a family to be proud) of, twelve vigorous, intelligent children, all born on the home farm: Mary, who is the wife of John Riech, and they live at Wausau; Charles, who is attending college at Stevens Point; and Laura, Augusta, Louisa, Hilda, Gertrude, George, Josephine, Ella, Irene and Mildred. Mr. Blume and family belong to St. Mary's Catholic church. In addition to his farm interests Mr. Blume has others, being a stockholder in the Central Creamery of the town of Marathon; a stockholder in the State Bank of Marathon City; also in the Farm Produce Company of Marathon City and the Marathon City Brewing Company. Politically he is a Democrat and his methods as town assessor have been so satisfactory to party and people that he has been elected and reelected to office for eight years. He is identified with the Catholic Order of Foresters.

 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.