Biographies
Marathon County Wisconsin -
C Surnames

*
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman (unless otherwise noted) -- Back To Biographies Index
History -- Births -- Marriages -- Obits ---- Wood County Wisconsin Biographies 


Caffery, Thomas Francis (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* THOMAS FRANCIS CAFFERY, foreman in J. H. Clark, Johnson & Co.’s saw-mill, Wausau, was born in Montrose, Pa., Sept. 3, 1844. He settled in Grand Rapids, September, 1867, and lived there a short time, then going to Pine River Mills; he worked there fourteen months, as mill-man; from there he went to Merrill, and worked at saw filing and mill-wrighting, etc., and remained three and one-half years; then he came to Wausau, and has since followed his trade and railroad bridging. He was married in Preston, Wayne Co., Penn., Oct. 20, 1868, to Margaret A. Kane; who was born in Ireland, in 1843. They have four children living – Mary B., Isabella, Richard F., and Thomas W. Caffery; Margaret R. is not living.


Ed. Cain
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 19

He was born in Burdick, Indiana, in 1854.
His father was James Cain, born in Burdick in ____, and
his mother was the former Rebecca Sparks, also born in Burdick,
Indiana.
His wife was the former Eunice Smith, who was born at Osage,
Iowa, in 1860, and whose parents were Charles Smith and Margaret
Gerard Smith, both born in Ohio.
They came to the Town of Plover in 1889, and settled on the SE
of the NE, of Section 24.
They farmed there until about 1922, when Mr. Cain died. Mrs.
Cain sold the place several years later, and moved away. She
died in 1962.
They had three children:
Blanche Wilson (deceased 1934)
Frank Cain (deceased 1957)
Grace Beckwith - Baptist Retirement Home, Maywood, Ill.
Ed Cain also had a sister living in the Town of Plover. She
was Jane Cain, wife of Charles Macauley of Section 1.


John Cain
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 19

John Cain owned the NW1/2 of Sec. 12 in 1895, also the NE/NE, Sec. 12 (J. M. Cain)
In 1901 John owned the W1/2/NW, Sec.12, and B. A. Cain owned the NE/NE, Sec.12.
In 1915 R. S.Cain owned the W1/2/NW, Sec. 12, and Mrs. J. Cain owned the same in 1920.
It is not known whether these last were related to the Ed. Cains, above.


Callahan, H. T. Captain (Occupation - 1944)
Source: Marathon County Register (Unity, Marathon County, Wis.) Friday, 18 Feb. 1944 

* Captain H. T. Callahan who, after serving for the past 19 months in the U.S. Army, has returned to Spencer to open his practice of medicine and surgery. Captain Callahan is now on inactive list of the Army. 


Callon, William (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881,  pages 557-558

* WILLIAM CALLON, Wausau, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, Feb. 24, 1833, and came to America alone, arriving June 10, 1849. He was in Susquehanna Co., Pa., one year; in Clearfield Co., Pa., two years; then in Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., until October, 1854, when he came to Stevens Point, where he was engaged in lumbering for three years. In 1857, he came to Wausau, and has since been engaged in manufacturing and dealing in lumber, and to some extent farming. Mr. Callon has been a member of the Town Board of Weston, and is now Receiver in the United States Land Office. He was married in Lumberville, Clearfield Co., Pa., in August, 1854, to Nancy Atcharson; who was born in the town of Burnside, Clearfield Co., Pa. They have two children, Mary Jennie and William A. Mr. Callon is a member of the A.F. & A.M., and K. of H.


Callon, William (1933 - 1894)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 673-674

WILLIAM CALLON, whose death occurred at Wausau, Wis., in 1894, was one of the best known men of Northern Wisconsin and for many years was prominent in the lumber industry. He was born in County Armaugh, Ireland, February 24, 1833, and came alone to America, arriving in the United States, June 10, 1849.

During his first year William Callon lived in Susquehannah county, Pa., then went to Clearfield, Pa., finding plenty of hard work in the lumbering districts, and after two years there located in Cattaraugus county, N. Y. In October, 1854, he moved from there to Stevens Point, Wis., and there engaged in logging and lumbering for three years and then came on to Schofield, and from there to Wausau in 1874, in which year he erected a comfortable residence at No. 634, Grand avenue, which was one of the first houses built in that section of Wausau. Lumbering in all its phases continued to be his business although he engaged to some extent also in farming in the town of Weston, Marathon county, and was a member of the town board. He was a man of energy and of sterling integrity and his honesty and capacity were recognized by his appointment as receiver in the U. S. Land Office at Wausau. For some years prior to his death he had lived retired from business cares.

In August, 1854, William Callon was married at Lumberville, Clearfield county, Pa., to Miss Nancy Atchison, who was born at Burnside, Clearfield county, January 22, 1834, and died at Wausau when almost seventy-seven years old. They had two children: William A. and Jennie, both of whom were born at Schofield, Wis. The latter is the wife of Dr. L. E. Spencer. Mrs. Callon was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In all the trials and hardships of early married life she was a cheerful and helpful wife, became a devoted mother and was held in esteem and affection by all who knew her in later years.

William A. Callon, only son of William and Nancy Callon, was born November 13, 1873, at Schofield, in the town of Weston, Marathon county, and was a babe of one year when his parents settled permanently at Wausau. He was educated in the city schools and at Lawrence University. On February 16, 1911, he was married to Miss Margaret E. Delaney, a daughter of Patrick Delaney, a pioneer of Wausau. Mr. Delaney was born at Montreal, Canada, March 3, 1846, and in 1856 came to Fond du Lac, Wis., where he lived for two years, then lived for several years at Oshkosh and afterward spent five years at Baraboo Valley, in Sauk county. He returned then to Oshkosh and from there in 1872 came to Wausau. For many years he was in the liquor business but now is a commercial traveler, making his home, however, with Mr. and Mrs. Callon. At Oshkosh, April 28, 1870, he married Miss Johanna Sheepy, who was born in Ireland in April, 1846, and five daughters were born to them. Visitors to the neighborhood of the old Callon homestead have watched with admiration the completion of the elegant bungalow which Mr. Callon has erected at No. 702 Grand avenue, its appearance being that of a handsome club house while it is probably one of the finest appointed homes in the city. All its surroundings are equally attractive including a garage for the housing of his automobile. Mr. Callon has numerous social connections and his late father was a member of the Knights of Honor and of the Masonic fraternity.


Calvert, Henry (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 571

* HENRY CALVERT, operator and agent Wisconsin Valley Railroad, Hutchinson, Mr. Calvert was born at Salesville, near Waukesha, Wis., Nov. 30, 1851, and lived there until he was twelve years of age, and from there he went with his parents to Durand, Wis., and where he worked on a farm for his father, Mr. Alfred Calvert, about four years. Then his father went into the mercantile business, and Henry Calvert clerked in the store six years; and from there he went to Tomah, and clerked for Kibby, Vincent & Co., about two years; then he went to Menomonee, Wis., and went to selling pumps and wind-mills, about a year after which, he went to Watertown, D. T., and took a homestead, but not liking that country, soon returned to Tomah, where he remained a short time; then went to Hutchinson, where he has since lived. He was married at Durand, Wis., in 1873; his wife's maiden name was Eliza Baker. They have two boys, named Eddie and Harry Hutchinson, and an infant daughter.


Robert Carpenter
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 20

According to the 1905 Census he was born in Wisconsin in 1871, and his wife Emma was born in 1884, also in Wisconsin.
They owned the NW/SW of Section 25, in 1901 and 1902, and longer. They also lived for a time on the NE/NE of Section 32, where a child of theirs, a daughter, is buried.
Mr. Carpenter returned to the grave-site many years later, before moving to Florida with his son, to live there permanently.

NOTES.
The son's name was probably Joseph.


Michael Ceranski (Military Bio - 1941)
Source: Cassel Centennial Booklet (1891 – 1991) from unknown newspaper

Town of Cassel Marine Wounded
Sgt. Michael Ceranski, 24, town of Cassel marine, was wounded in action July 27 in the fighting on Tinian in the Southwest Pacific, his brother, John Ceranski, also of the town of Cassel, has been informed by the marine corps commandant in Washington, D. C., and by a letter from his brother. According to the letter, Sgt. Ceranski sustained wounds in the right arm and shoulder and was recovering at a base hospital in New Caledonia. The letter was written August 22.

In a letter written July 16 to his sister, Miss Agnes Ceranski, Milwaukee, the town of Cassel marine stated he had seen action on Tinian for 23 days up to that time.

A veteran of fighting on Guadalcanal, the Marshall islands, Saipan and Tinian, Sgt. Ceranski enlisted in September, 1939, in Chicago. He received his training at San Diego, Cal., and was stationed at Pearl Harbor when Japanese attacked on December 7, 1941.


Eugene Chapin
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 21

Eugene Chapin was born in Waupaca County near Dale, Wis. in 1891.
He was the son of Henry J. Chapin (above).
He came to the Town of Plover with his parents in 1902.
In 1923 he was married to Anna Churchhouse, daughter of Alfred Churchhouse of the town of Plover.
They farmed in the Town of Plover until 1946, first on the Churchhouse farm until 1935, and then on his fathers
farm (above) until 1946.
He sold the farm in that year to Marellous Ziegelbauer,
and moved to the town of Birmamwood, where he farmed for some years, until his son took over.
Mrs. Chapin died in 1968.
The children are:
Bernard, Town of Birnamwood
Margery, Wausau
Bernice (Mrs. Walter Yanke)


Henry J. Chapin
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 21

Born in the town of Waupun, Fond du Lac County in 1867. His father, James Chapin, was born in 1833 and
died in ___. His mother's maiden name was Esther Wheeler, she was born in 1842 and died in 1927.
He was married to Alice Davis in 1889; and moved to the town of Plover from Aniwa in 1902.
He farmed in the Town of Plover (NE/SW, Sec.26), until 1935, when he moved to Rice Lake, Wis.
He sold the farm to his son Eugene in 1937.
He died in 1944 and Mrs. Chapin died in 1949.
Their children were: Frank (died at birth)
Eugene
Jesse (moved to Rice Lake)
Oscar
Amy
Belva (Mrs. George Oliver)


Chellis, William R. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 902-905

WILLIAM R. CHELLIS, a representative business man of Wausau, Wis., who conducts a real estate business, including loans and investments, with office at No. 310 Scott street, is a prominent citizen of Marathon county who has served with efficiency in public office and is a recognized factor in Republican politics. Of New England ancestry, he was born in Grafton county, N. H., August 1, 1869, a son of Sumner and Emma Chellis, having only one brother, Herbert, a twin sister having been scalded to death at the age of six months, his parents being also of New England birth and rearing. When the Civil War broke out Sumner Chellis, at the age of fifteen years, enlisted for service in one of the early New Hampshire regiments. In 1873 he came with his family to Green County, Wis., and in 1881 to Wausau, where he died at the early age of thirty-seven years.

William R. Chellis was eleven years old when his parents came to Wausau and was not much older when he lost his father. He went to school until he was old enough to be useful on a farm and from school went to the lumber regions where he took part in the rough work of saw milling and logging, promoting his health and gaining muscle and taking pleasure also in the rough life, hard as it was. It was while working in the saw mills at Wausau, where he had learned the saw-filing trade, that, in August, 1893, a serious strike was called under his leadership on account of existing conditions that involved all the lumber and factory workers, the contention being on account of the long period of working time required by the employers. The strike was soon settled, and Mr. Chellis has the satisfaction of knowing that through his efforts and diplomacy, the working hours of the day since then have been ten instead of eleven hours, which proved beneficial to all concerned.

Mr. Chellis represented the ward in which he lived as alderman for two terms, resigning to accept a position on the police force, where he served for six months as a patrolman and when the office of captain was created he received the appointment and served as such for a year and a half, subsequently being appointed under-sheriff. After serving two years in the latter capacity he was elected sheriff of Marathon county and held the office for two years, administering it to the satisfaction of all except law breakers. Then for six years he served as register of deeds for Marathon county. In 1910 he embarked in his present business.

Mr. Chellis married Miss Ethel Sampson, a daughter of Frank and Rowena Sampson, of Wausau, and they have one child, a daughter, Edna. Mr. Chellis belonged to the Wisconsin National Guards for four years, serving as corporal. He belongs to the Masonic Lodge, Eastern Star, Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodnien of America, Eagles, and Equitable Fraternal Union, orders of which he is very proud. He is a member of the Marathon County Building Loan and Investment Association and is on its board of trustees, and is on the appraisal board. He is also one of the trustees of the Marathon County Agriculture Society.

Mr. Chellis is one of the men that believe in giving a hearty welcome to all and a good word of praise for his friends, which is enjoyed by all who know him. The rich and poor are one to him. His watch word is forward and upward.


Cherney, A. J. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 749-750

A. J. CHERNEY, notary public at Edgar, Wis., and a leading business man of the place occupies a large warehouse, and deals in furs, flour, feed, grain, hay, hard and soft coal, cement, lime, plaster, hair, sewer pipe, lath and shingles, also builders' supplies in the way of glass, doors, window sash, base boards and flooring and handles also woods, bark, and farm produce. Additionally he has been in the insurance business here for a longer period than any other representative of any company. He was born at Two Creek, Manitowoc county, Wis., April 15, 1867, and is a son of Anton and Anna (Kadlic) Cherney. The parents of Mr. Cherney came from Germany to Kewaunee county, Wis., where the father followed farming until he retired from active life and, died in that county when aged sixty-three years. The mother survives and is now in her seventy-second year. Of their nine children six are living, two sons and four daughters, A. J. being the fifth born of the family.

A. J. Cherney attended school at first near his birthplace and afterward was a student in the Kewaunee High School for five months, later taught one term of school in Brown county, and then secured a position as scaler in the woods. He also worked in a saw mill in the spring and summer and when the cold season set in secured a school to teach at Little River and remained there as a teacher for four years. All the time he was studying out plans for other lines of business and thus he was led to set up a portable photograph gallery at Green Bay, again working in the winter in the woods, then started out again with his photographic outfit, and thus came to Edgar. He afterward taught school for several years in Marathon county and while so engaged, as a side line, began to handle lime, plaster, hair, lath, shingles and cement, and continued to add to his commodities, subsequently buying a half interest in the Edgar Hay & Grain Company, of Dudley & Whitney, still later purchasing the other half interest and since then has been sole owner and proprietor of his present business conducted under the title of the Edgar Hay & Grain Company. For some time he also ran practically the only transfer business here and had eight men in his employ when he sold out in 1909. Mr. Cherney is a stockholder in the Edgar, Cassel & Emmett Telephone Company and The Edgar Local Telephone Company, and is secretary and director of both companies.

Mr. Cherney was married to Miss Mary Riader, a native of Germany, a daughter of Adam Rader of the town of Cassel, and they have four children: Ivin A., Viola, Della and Edna. The family belongs to St. John's Catholic church. His fraternal connections include membership in the M. W. of A., the Eagles, the E. F. U. and the F. R. A., of both
organizations being secretary. A lifelong Republican he has often been tendered public office, and served eight years as justice of the peace and five years as village supervisor.


Chesak, Frank F. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 860-861

FRANK F. CHESAK, who is extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber and a member of the board of directors of the Athens Manufacturing Company, directs a large Real Estate, Loan and Insurance business at Athens and for years has been one of the dominating men of Marathon county. He was born on a farm in the town of Trenton, Washington county, Wis., January 30, 1867, ten years after his parents, Martin and Mary (Sigmond) Chesak, had come to America from Austria. The father was a brickmaker by trade, but three years after locating in Washington county, Wis., he engaged in farming, continued until 1884 and then moved to Marathon county, where, until the close of his life he was interested in merchandising and lumber.

After completing the common school course, Frank F. Chesak, in 1885, went to Poniatowski. Several years later he became a student at .Pierce Business College, at Keokuk, Ia., where he was graduated. He then returned and went into his father's store at Poniatowski and became also interested with his father and two brothers in lumbering. In 1889 he was appointed postmaster there and served until 1894, and in 1895 was appointed general clerk of the State Land Office at Madison and served until July, 1902. In 1909 by the Marathon County Board of Supervisors he was elected treasurer of the Marathon County Agricultural School Board, in 1903 having represented the village of Athens on the County Board. For many years he held the office of justice of the peace, was twice elected president of the Athens Advancement Association; is police justice for the village of Athens; was chairman of the Republican County Committee of Marathon County, 1908-1910, and was the republican candidate for State senator, from the 25th Senatorial District, composed of Clark and Marathon counties. Mr. Chesak is well qualified for the many responsible positions which he has been called upon to accept. He is a master of four languages: English, German, Bohemian and Polish.

Mr. Chesak was married September 13, 1894, to Anna Blaszka, who was born in Wisconsin, a daughter of Joseph and Josephine (Gates) Blaszka. The parents came from Poland to the United States and the father is a merchant in Chicago. Mr. Chesak is interested in the Athens Printing Company, being on the board of directors, is a stockholder in the Athens Bank, in the Geo. Ruder Brewing Company, in the Badger Ginseng Company of Wausau, and the Athens Telephone Company, and is a member of the board of directors and vice president of the Marathon County Telephone Company.


Chesak, John H. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 873-874

JOHN H. CHESAK, who, for the last fifteen years has been secretary of the Board of Education at Athens, Wis., for many years has been engaged in the lumber industry and is one of three brothers owning the Athens Manufacturing Company, a firmly established and highly prosperous business enterprise of Marathon county. He was born in Washington county, Wis., April 13, 1862, and is a son of Martin and Mary (Sigmond) Chesak.

Martin Chesak and wife were natives of Austria. They came with their children to America in 1857 and sought a home in Washington county, Wis., and for three years Martin Chesak followed his trade of brickmaker. He then engaged in farming until 1884, when he came to Marathon county and afterward, until his death, was interested in lumber and merchandising. His children were: Joseph; Barbara, who is deceased, was the wife of Herman Schrieber; John H.; Mary, who is the wife of Joseph Masak; Frank F., who is prominent in public affairs in Marathon county; and Josephine, who is the widow of John A. Blecha.

John H. Chesak has been a resident of Marathon county since he was nineteen years of age, and has spent twenty-one years at Athens, Wis. He was given excellent educational advantages, attending the Normal School at Oshkosh, Wis., for three years and taking a commercial course of one year at Wausau, and for eight years before embarking in the lumber business was a school teacher, teaching a district school one year and one village school six years.

Mr. Chesak was married September 24, 1889, to Miss Tena Hurt, a daughter of Frank Hurt, of Iowa, and at death she left two children: George J. and Helen A. The second marriage of Mr. Chesak was to Miss Emily E. Penegor, who was born in Michigan, a daughter of Jeremiah Penegor, and they have one daughter, Dorothy. In his political sentiments Mr. Chesak is a republican. For six years he served in the office of a notary public and has always been a dependable, conscientious citizen. He is identified with the National Fraternal League, the F. O. E., the Beavers and the Polish National Alliance, while, with his family he belongs to the Roman Catholic church.


Chesak, Joseph (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 737-738

HON. JOSEPH CHESAK, who has been identified with mercantile and lumber interests in Marathon county for many years and has been prominent in public affairs as well, was born at Pilsen, Bohemia, December 8, 1853, and is a son of Martin and Mary (Sigmond) Chesak. The parents of Mr. Chesak were born, reared and married in Austria and from that country they came with their children to the United States in 1857 and settled in Washington county, Wis. For three years after coming here the father followed his trade of brickmaker, then turned his attention to farming until 1884, when he came to Marathon county and for a number of years afterward was connected with his son Joseph in the mercantile business and also with all his sons was concerned in lumbering. Both he and wife have passed away. They had the following children: Joseph; Barbara, who is deceased, was the wife of Herman Schrieber; John H.; Mary, who is the wife of Joseph Masak; Frank F., who is a prominent business man and politician in Marathon county; and Josephine, who is the widow of John A. Blecha.

Until he was sixteen years of age, Joseph Chesak was mainly, interested in his school books and the sports and occupations of boyhood but then he was deemed old enough to begin the work of a man in the lumber regions, where he worked as a laborer until he was twenty-one years old. Then, after completing a business course at Milwaukee, he started a general store at Newberg, Wis., which he continued from 1875 until 1880, when he came to Marathon county and continued merchandising until February, 1912, a period of thirty-two years. He was postmaster of Poniatowski from August, 1881, to April, 1906, when he retired and moved to Athens, Wis. In 1891 the Chesak Brothers started the mill at Athens, now known as the Athens Manufacturing Company, which is one of the important business enterprises of this section.

In 1876 Mr. Chesak was married to Miss Mary S. Wilger, who was born in Washington county, Wis., a daughter of Mathias and Susan (Hentz) Wilger, the former of whom was born in Prussia and was a farmer after coming to Wisconsin. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Wilger were: Elizabeth, wife of John C. Searing; Mary S.; and John, Joseph and Nicholas. To Mr. and Mrs. Chesak five children were born, namely: Mary B., wife of George M. Blecha; John C.; Thomas M.; Agnes J., wife of Joseph N. Miller; and Anna R. Mr. Chesak and family belong to the Catholic church. In politics he is a Republican and while living in the town of Trenton, served as town clerk and for twenty-three years was clerk of Town Rietbrock; for fourteen years was a justice of the peace; and in 1888 was first elected a member of the General Assembly, serving most acceptably in 1889 and 1890. He was also trustee of the village of Athens in 1907 and 1908; supervisor of the village 1909 and 1910; trustee of the Marathon County Insane Asylum 1894-1895-1896-1897 and was elected president of that body. His only fraternal connection is with the Eagles.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 230-231

Joseph Chesak was born in Pilsen, Bohemia, Austria, on December 8, 1854; his father emigrated to Wisconsin and settled in the town of Trenton, Washington county, when Joseph was three years of age. He received the common school education in that town, and later took a course in the Spencerian College at Milwaukee. He engaged in mercantile business and hotel-keeping and held the office of town clerk for the last three years in that town, before his migration to Marathon county in 1881. It was at the time that J. M. Smith and Fred Rietbrook, through intelligent and judicious advertising brought many new settlers to Marathon county, mainly in the present town of Rietbrook, the majority being Polish people coming from Milwaukee. Mr. Chesak built a store and engaged in general merchandise business; was appointed postmaster, the postoffice being named "Poniatowski." When he arrived there, some roads had already been opened, but they were new and impassable at times; the settlers were all beginners and poor, of course, and it took a long time and hard work to make a farm. However, Mr. Chesak had faith in the industry and honesty of these hard-working, frugal beginners, and assisted them to the best of his ability by extending credit to them, and was their advisor in a general way. The fact that he could speak four languages made his store the center of intelligence in that community. He was elected and reelected town clerk for years, and school treasurer and justice of the peace. His faith in the new country and the people was fully justified by events. His business was carried on under some difficulties first, he having to bring his merchandise from Wausau out by wagon or sleigh over poor country roads, take all sorts of farm produce in exchange and carry them in the same way to Wausau and market them; but the settlement grew, the farms became larger, and his business too grew up to big dimensions and brought him prosperity and honors.

When his sons had grown up, he turned his business in Poniatowski over to them, and with his two brothers, John and Frank, built and still operates a saw mill and engaged in general lumber business in the village of Athens, where he took up his residence. He is also interested in the Athens Bank. He has done his full share in the upbuilding of that part of Marathon county, and can look back with contentment upon his achievements. Affable, kind and courteous, he is an excellent companion and enjoys society and is held in the highest esteem by the people of that section and his many acquaintances throughout the county.


Anton Christl
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 22

He was from Dale Township, Waupaca County.
He bought the farm of Saul DeMars in Section 23, consisting of three forties, with the buildings on the SW of the NW.
He came between 1920 and 1924, and was a bachellor.
He died from an accident on the farm between 1930 and 1933.
He was born at Germany Year 1872 Died (year) 1930.
Buried in what Cemetery _____.

NOTES.
Died of: Fractured cervicle, due to fall.
Father: Anton Christl (Cristel)
Mother: Anna Steidel (maiden name) (Huberzette1)
Physician attending: Th. Lucas, M.D.
Burial at: Hortonia, Outagamie County, Wis.
Informant: Mrs. John Dietz, Hortonville, Wis.
(death certificate, Marathon County Courthouse).


Chubbuck, Charles W. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 558

* CHARLES W. CHUBBUCK, bookseller and stationer, Wausau, was born at Stevens Point, Wis., March 21, 1856, and came to Wausau with his parents, Jerome Walker and Caroline S. (Sanborn) Chubbuck; when less than a year old. He worked with his father, at the printer's trade, for some time, then engaged as a book-keeper for mercantile establishments; for a time with the "Bank of the Interior." He commenced business for himself in September, 1876, in the Post-office building, where he still continues, dealing in books, stationery, confectionery, fruits, etc.


Chubbuck, Jerome Walker (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 558

* JEROME WALKER CHUBBUCK, Wausau, was born Sept. 24, 1813, Goffstown, N.H. Learned printing at Morrisville, N. Y., afterward conducted newspapers at Hamilton and Cazenovia, N.Y. Came to Milwaukee June 20, 1837, where he helped as foreman to establish the Milwaukee Sentinel. Married to Caroline S. Sanborn, of Jefferson, Wis., June 17, 1855, who was born in Wheelock, Vt., March 4, 1832. Came to Wausau February, 1857, where he established the Central Wisconsin, April 22, 1857, the first paper published in Marathon County; sold out to Hoffman & Hoeflinger in 1862. Held the office of Clerk of Circuit Court from January 1863 to January 1875; was also Village Clerk for a number of years. Has been engaged in the printing business, and as editor or contributor to the city papers up to January, 1880, when he was stricken with paralysis and been confined to his room ever since. He has two children living, Charles W., born March 21, 1856, and Emily Helen, born April 23, 1858. Lost one daughter, Mary Everetta, who was born Nov. 18, 1860, and died May 13, 1872.


Alfred Churchouse
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 23

He was born in Onondaga County, Now York in 1850, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Churchouse. His father was born
in 1818, and died in 1898. His mothers maiden name was Jacobs, she was born in 1828 and died in 1874.
Alfred Churchouse married Alice Richardson in 1881 and moved to the Town of Plover in 1882, where he bought the
N1/2/NW, Sec. 36, from the Dundee Land Co.
Mrs. Churchouse was a sister of Calvin Richardson, Mrs. Frank Follett, Mrs. Fred Thomas, all neighbors.
Mr. Churchouse farmed until 1923, although Mrs. Churchouse had died in 1917. He sold the farm in 1923 to his son-in-law, Eugene Chapin, of the town of Plover, who had married the Churchouse's only daughter, Anna.
Mr. Churchouse lived with his son-in-law and daughter until his death in 1934.

NOTES.
Mrs. Ellen Lyons gives the year of his arrival in the Town of Plover as 1880.
Mr. and Mrs. Churchouse are buried in the Birnamwood Cemetery, where her gravestone gives the date of her birth as 1850.


Archie Clark
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 24

Born at Embarrass in Waupaca County in 1888, he was the son of William Clark, who settled in the Town of
Norrie in 1912. Wm. Clark owned land in Sec. 35 of the Town of Plover. His wife was the former Bertha Kanz.
Archie Clark made his home with his parents in the town of Norrie until his marriage to Helen Helf of that township in ____.
They bought the farm on the SW/SE, Sec. 32 about 1935, and lived there until his death in 1975. Mrs. Clark
died in 1974.
Beside one son, Eugene, who had taken ever the farm some years before, there is one daughter, Rose (Mrs.
James Jozwiak).


Clark, C. L. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 573

* C. L. CLARK, foreman with W. J. Clifford, Spencer, born in Orleans Co., Vt., June 7, 1838. Removed to Canada with his parents, where his father ran a transportation train from Montreal to Stanstead Plain and to Vermont. C. L. attended school in Canada, and upon coming to Sheboygan County, began farming. When twenty-one years of age he learned the millwright's trade, and went to work in Oshkosh. In 1861, he enlisted in the Wis. 1st I. V., Co. I; was mustered out in the Fall of 1864. He then entered the quarter-master department, but later went to millwrighting and running mills. He tried farming in Sheboygan County, in 1868, and clerked the next year in Green Bay. In the great fire that devastated the pineries in 1871, he lost everything, scarcely saving the lives of his family. Under the most distressing necessity, they plunged into the mill pond, throwing in the women and children, and there they were kept for ten or twelve hours, with heads submerged part of the time. The women never recovered the shock and at the end of the year, were all numbered with the dead. He then once more started in life and with varied experience. At different times he worked at the mills along the line of the Wisconsin Central Railroad, from Chelsea down to Spencer, where he came in 1876, and built a mill for Blake, Wood & Co. He bought an interest which he soon sold, and went to Yellow River. In 1879, he returned to Spencer and built a mill for Clifford and acted as foremen, in which position he is still. In 1866, married Miss Sarah Cady, of Omro; who died in 1872, leaving three children — Frederic C., Bertha, and Blanche. He married Miss Emily Wood, of Spencer, in 1877. They have a family of two, Elmer and Bell. Mr. Clark belongs to the Temple of Honor.


Clark, Chester Arthur (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Thursday, 5 July 1928

Chester Arthur Clark, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Clark, Schofield, was born in Schofield, February 23, 1894. After completing his educational career in the public school in that village, he entered the employ of the Brooks and Ross Lumber Company, Schofield, in 1910. He remained with them about six years. He then worked as a lumber scaler for the Park Falls Lumber Company at Park Falls, about a year, and then came to this city to take his present position.

Mr. Clark was married to Miss Louise Rossman, daughter of John D. Rossman, Marshfield, at the parsonage of the Methodist church in this city, by the Reverend Kelly, January 3, 1917. Her mother died some years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Clark are the parents of one daughter, Betty, 9.

Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Schofield Lodge of the Modern Brotherhood of America and the Marshfield Owls. In the latter lodge he holds the office of treasurer. Politically, he is a progressive Republican. His hobbies are fishing and motoring.


Eugene Clark
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 24

Eugene was born in the Town of Plover (see above), in 1933, and grew up on his father's farm.
He married Janice Jacobson of the Town of Norrie in 1955.
She was born in Wausau in 1936. They bought the adjoining farm to the west, and since the retirement of his father,
they have been farming Both places.
They have five children: Eugene, jr., Dennis, Bonnie Jean, Kevin, and Carmen.


Clark, John H. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin, Marathon County, Wis. (1881) page 557

JOHN H. CLARK, of the firm of Clark, Johnson & Co., (the partners of which are W. D. Johnson, C. W. Johnson and Richard Clark) Wausau, was born in Easton, Md., Dec. 20, 1829. He came to Wisconsin, October, 1880. His residence is at Fort Wayne, Ind. He was married in the latter city, October, 1854, to Lydia M. Shippy. She was born in Rutland, Vt., in 1828. They have had six children – Florence; Nathan, died April 13, 1880; Richard, now at Wausau, engaged in the mill; Jesse, Mortimer and Oliver, the three latter being at their home in Indiana. The mill of this firm was erected in 1881, and is situated on the island opposite the city in the Wisconsin River. Its capacity is 80,000 in eleven hours, and employs 150 men.


Lafayette Clark
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 25

He was born in Sheboygan County, at Glenbeulah in 1870.
His parents were William and Ellen Clark of that place.
William Clark was born in ___, and died in ___.
Mrs. Clark was the former Ellen Louise Willis. She was born in 1850 and died in 1929.
Fay Clark came to the Town of Plover about 1900 and settled on the SE of the SW, of Section 33. He married Vera
Follett, the daughter of Frank Follett, the first settler in the Town of Plover. She was born in 1882 in the Town of
Plover.
They afterward lived on the South Pollroad (SE/NW, Sec.7), and also farther North on the same road, on the opposite
side. Then they lived on the Cain Place in Section 24, for awhile. They also returned to Sheboygan County for awhile
and then lived at Elderon. Mr. and Mrs. Clark were divorced and Mrs. Clark later married a Mr. Charles Zimmermann of Galloway.
Mrs. Clark-Zinmermann died in 1947, and Mr. Clark died in 1955, in Elderon. Both are Buried in the Birnamwood Cemetery.
They had five children:
William (living near Iola)
Llewellyn (Massachusetts)
Floy Oregon
Nina (Oregon)
Roberta (Oregon)

NOTES.
Mr. was a half-brother of Harry McKellip of Town of Plover.


Clark, Richard (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 557

* RICHARD CLARK, firm of Clark, Johnson & Co., Wausau, was born in Fort Wayne, Ind., April 5, 1860. He is a son of Mr. J. H. and Mrs. L. M. Clark of the latter city. He went as far as high school there, but preferring business moved to Greenville, Mich., where he remained one year. From there he went to Coral in the same State, and lived there about one year. In June, 1881, he came to Wausau, where is acting as book-keeper and general overseer for the firm, in which he has an interest.


John Christopher Clarke
WAUSAU
Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

The subject of this sketch, a native of North Wales, was born on the Isle of Anglesea, February 17, 1831. His parents were William Clarke and Mary Ann nee Burwell. The Burwells are an ancient and highly respectable family, and trace their history back to the invasion of England by the Normans in the eleventh century. The name originated thus: A Sir John, having encamped with his followers near a well where was an abundance of burrs, was called "John the burr well." The mother of our subject, a true and noble woman, lost her husband in North Wales in 1838, and hence had the early and almost exclusive training of her children, nine in number. His grandfather came to this country in 1820, and sleeps in Trinity Churchyard, New York City.

John C. came to the United States with a brother-in-law and sister, Mrs. Davey, when he was fourteen years old, having prior to that time enjoyed good educational advantages, closing with six months attendance at a mechanics institute in Liverpool, England. He accompanied his relatives to Blue Mound, Dane County, Wisconsin, in June, 1845; but not being pleased with his situation, in September following, went to what is now Cross Plains, and worked three months as a chore-boy for Colonel George R. C. Floyd, at that time secretary of Wisconsin Territory, receiving a compensation of three dollars per month. At the end of this time, without a dollar in his pocket, he went northward into Portage, now Marathon County, to Big Ball Falls, now Wausau. There he was for a short time engaged as cook in a logging shanty, at advanced wages; he subsequently worked in saw-mills, and running on the river; and finally as a hired man became a pilot, sometimes receiving as high as fifty dollars a day — a handsome advance on his wages at the start, with the government official at Cross Plains.

In 1855 Mr. Clarke began to operate on his own responsibility, buying lumber and shipping it to St. Louis. In the spring of 1860, he rented Mr. Walrod's mill property, and four years later purchased the same, and still owns it, with numerous and large accessions. In 1874 he sold his whole property for a large sum, but the bargain was finally revoked and he still operates his mills. He has large tracts of pine and other timbered and farm lands, besides a fine farm one mile from Wausau, and other property, all of which he has accumulated by careful, enterprising, honorable and energetic effort.

Soon after Marathon County was organized Mr. Clarke was elected county clerk, but declined to act; he held the office of sheriff in 1860 and 1861; was chairman of the board of supervisors five years, and has been a member of the council most of the time since Wausau had a city charter. He is a prompt and very efficient man, whether acting officially or in his private capacity. In politics he has always been a democrat, and is among the leaders of that party in his county. He was a delegate to the national convention which met at St. Louis in June 1876.

Mr. Clarke is an attendant of the Episcopal Church, and a liberal supporter of the gospel. He is very kind to the poor, and takes special delight in helping those who would help themselves. He has had two wives. The first was Miss Ann M. Gibson, of England, to whom he was married in September 1853, and who died that same year. The second was Miss Rhoda J. Putnam, of Sycamore, Illinois. She has had eleven children, four of whom are now living. Having been for more than thirty years a resident of Wausau, Mr. Clarke has seen it grow up from the rough beginnings of a village to a city of four thousand inhabitants, with fine churches and school-houses, elegant and almost imposing mansions, and all the indications of wealth, civilization and refinement; and few men have done more than he to make Wausau what it is. The deep impress of his hand is on all public improvements. He himself has one of the finest residences and most attractive homes in Wausau.

 

Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881,  page 557

 

* JOHN C. CLARKE, Wausau, came to this city in November, 1845, and ran on the river as raftsman, etc., and for several years was cook on the drives until 1851. He then commenced running saw mills, and was pilot on the river and dealt in lumber until 1860. Mr. Clarke was born on the Isle of Anglesea, North Wales, Feb. 17, 1831, and came from there to Dane Co., Wis., in June, 1845. His parents, William and Mary Ann (Burwell) Clarke never came to this country. He was married in Sycamore, DeKalb Co., Ill., Oct. 31, 1854, to Rhoda J. Putnam, who was born in Somerset Co., Me., in August, 1830. They have four children – Fannie E., Ann Margaret, Rhoda Jane and Mary Ann.

Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), pgs. 551-552; transcribed by Mary Saggio

JOHN C. CLARKE (Dem.), of Wausau, was born at Lianerchy Medd, Angle-ea, North Wales, February 17, 1831; received a common school education, and a few months’ training at the Mechanics’ Institute at Liverpool; is a lumberman; emigrated from Wales in 1845 and settled at Blue Mounds, but removed six months later to Big Bull Falls, now Wausau; was sheriff of Marathon county in 1859 and ’60; has been member of county board several times, twice as chairman; has been member of city council three years, and mayor of Wausau in 1877; was a delegate to the democratic national convention at St. Louis in 1876; was defeated for the assembly in 1877; was elected assemblyman for 1882, receiving 1,234 votes, against 1,058 for G. W. Ghoca, republican.

related article: Clarke, Ann Margaret & Mary (d. Feb. 1862)


Henry Clement
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

CLEMENT Henry. St Paul. Res 956 Portland av. Office 371-373 Sibley. Lace merchant. Born Feb 27, 1869 in Sauk City Wis. Son of Florian and Christine (Vonwald) Clement. Married in 1895 to Ida Mueller of Wausau Wis. Attended public schools at Sauk City Wis until 1885; business college in Milwaukee. First employed with J & E B Friend Lace Importing Co Milwaukee 1885-91; with Goldberg & Co laces 1891-97; removed to St Paul in 1900 and organized the firm of Clement, Dranger & Co whol and importers of laces. Member Commercial Club and B P O E.


Cleveland, Clifford Clayton (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Monday, 26 Nov. 1928

* Clifford Clayton Cleveland, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Cleveland, Route 5, was born in Symco, Wisconsin, May 22, 1900. When he was two his parents moved to Clintonville, and ten years later to Loyal. He received his education in the public schools of those cities. While still attending school he began learning the art of interior decorating under the tutorship of his father. After leaving school he continued at this trade for two years in partnership with his father. December 5, 1918, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, for service in the World War. He served until March 19, 1919, stationed at Paris Island, South Carolina. Following his discharge, he spent two years in the employ of the Schultz Decorating Company of Milwaukee as a foreman. While with this concern he did decorating work in Bonsteel and Winner, South Dakota; Norfolk and Omaha, Nebraska; and Red Wing, Minnesota. He then accepted a job in this city with the Marshfield Decorating Company, where he remained until taken ill. He was incapacitated from August 1921 to May 1922. Following his recovery he engaged in the decorating work on his own, in this city, for about two and one-half years. On January 1, 1925, he embarked in the general insurance business.

Mr. Cleveland was married to Miss Beatrice Tuchscher, daughter of Mrs. Agnes Tuchscher, Marshfield, formerly of Chili, in the Sacred Heart Catholic Church by Father A. Mueller, Bakerville, January 18, 1922. Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland have three children: Marjorie 6, Palmer 4 and Alton 2. Her father died in 1917.

Politically, he is a regular Republican. His hobby is fishing.
 


Clifford, W. J. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 573

* W. J. CLIFFORD, lumber, Spencer, born in Ireland, 1836. Came to America in 1851 and landed in Canada. Went first to Boston, Mass., then in 1863, to Stevens Point. In 1876, he opened business in Spencer, running a saw and shingle mill. This mill was burned, July, 1879, but was rebuilt and started again. It was burned again in May, 1881, but the new one finished in July, 1881. His store was burned also in 1879, but he resumed business at his present location. They carry a stock of $2,500, and do a business including lumber of $100,000 a year. He moved his family up to Spencer in 1880. In 1856, he married Miss Anna Nugent, of Ireland. They have six children — Maggie, John W., Ella, Mary, Alice, and Theresa; all Catholics.


Cohn, Leopold S. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 558

* LEOPOLD S. COHN, proprietor Cohn's Mills, one mile above Wausau, on the Wisconsin River. His mills were erected in the Summer of 1877. The capacity is 40,000 lumber, 35,000 shingles and 10,000 lath, besides pickets, in one day. They employ twenty-five men in the mill and ten outside. Mr. Cohn was born in Prussia, Aug. 27, 1843. He was married at Mayville, Dodge Co., Aug. 28, 1872, to Idella Bick. She was born in Saukville, June 14, 1853. Mr. Cohn first settled at Berlin, Wis. in 1856. He lived there two years with his parents, then he went to Milwaukee, where he remained two years. He then became engaged in produce business, buying furs, wool, etc., going as far north as Lake Superior, which business he followed until 1869. Then he became engaged in the lumber business on the Wisconsin River. He moved from Berlin to Milwaukee in 1876, where he lived until October, 1877, following the lumber business. From there he came to Wausau.


Collins, William F. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 558

* WILLIAM F. COLLINS, merchant, Wausau, was born in Watertown, Wis., April 8, 1849; lived there three years, afterward at Lake Mills five years; then lived in the town of Dayton, Waupaca Co., until he came to Wausau, May 6, 1871; clerked for James McCrossen until Aug. 25, 1876, when he entered into partnership with him and his son, Julian Adelbert McCrossen, which partnership continues. Mr. Collins is a member of the A.F. & A.M.


Colombo, Joseph L. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 707

JOSEPH L. COLOMBO, who is in business at No. 112 Scott street, Wausau, Wis., contractor in heating and sheet metal worker, is one of the reliable and representative business men of this city, of which he has been a resident for six years. He was born in the village of Baden, near Toronto, Canada, December 22, 1870, and is a son of John Colombo, who was in the linseed oil business at the time of his death in 1896. The other members of the family still live in Canada.

Joseph L. Colombo was reared in his native place, attended school and learned sheet metal working. His first visit to the United States was when he crossed the border and made his way to Chicago to attend the World's Columbian Exhibition and his judgment told him that business opportunities were to be found in the Republic. He went to Milwaukee, Wis., and went to work for the Schwab & Sercomb, now the R. J. Schwab & Sons Company, where he continued to be employed for thirteen years, ten of these as a man on the road entrusted with the installing of heating apparatus, his wages climbing from two dollars a day to $150 a month and expenses. He was what is termed "trouble
man" for the company and became almost invaluable. When he came to Wausau he went into partnership in the firm of A. B. Wheeler & Sons Company, after which, with two partners, he embarked in business for himself, eighteen months later purchasing his partner's interests.

On April 26, 1893, Mr. Colombo was married at Toronto, to Miss Adela Crawford, and they have had two children, the one survivor, Arthur, being a college student at St. Joseph's, Dubuque, Ia. Mr. Colombo and family are members of the Catholic church. In sheet metal work, perhaps Mr. Colombo has no superior in the state and all over this section he fills heavy contracts, giving constant employment to eight workmen. Politically he has never been active although as a citizen he commands respect and confidence.


Cone, Clive S. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 867-868

CLIVE S. CONE, proprietor and manager of the Grand Opera House at Wausau, Wis., also manager and director of Cone's 4th Regiment Band and Orchestra, is one of the best known residents of this city which has been his home for eighteen years. He was born July 23, 1873, at Waterloo, Jefferson county, Wis., and is a son of George H. Cone.

Clive S. Cone was reared and attended the public schools at Waterloo and was only a boy when his musical talent was recognized and he became a member of the local band. Later he traveled as a musician and actor with theatrical troupes all over the United States, coming to make his home in this city, in 1898, and has had much to do with the public amusement business here. As proprietor and manager of the Grand Opera House here and as a member of the Northwestern Theatrical Association and Theatre Owners Association, of U. S. and Canada as well as manager and leader of the military band of twenty-five pieces, all experienced musicians. Mr. Cone's name is a familiar one from coast to coast.

The Grand Opera House was erected in 1900 and is one of the finest houses of its kind in Wisconsin, having a seating capacity of over 1,200. Here Mr. Cone gives the people of Wausau and nearby towns and environs fine amusements, including first class attractions of every kind and a special vaudeville and moving picture entertainment is given on Saturdays and Sundays. Although his musical and theatrical interests are large, Mr. Cone has additional ones, being local agent for tire Studebaker automobiles and owner of the Wausau City Bill Posting Company.

Mr. Cone married Miss Laura Anna Peters, who was born at Wausau, a daughter of Hugo Peters, a well known resident. During the Spanish-American War, Mr. Cone was in service as bandmaster and chief musician of the 4th Regiment Military Band, during the larger part of the time being stationed at Anniston, Ala.


G. Converse
Source: Old settler's index town of Plover, Marathon County, Wisconsin from 1877 to 1935 (1978) Schmitt, E.A. (ed.) Page 26

Mr. G. Converse owned the NW/SW, Sec. 13 in the 1901 plat book, He owned the SE/NW, Sec. 13, in the 1915 plat book.
In the center of this last forty there is a depression in the ground, indicating that a dwelling stood there once.
Also a hole dug out of the bank, indicating a root cellar.

NOTES.
George M. Converse was born in 1873, and his wife Anna was born in 1877. Both were born in Wisconsin.
Six children were listed in the Census of 1905, from which these dates were also taken.
The children were: Lila, Robert, Earl, Martha, Olive and George.


Cook, Alfred (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 236-237

Alfred Cook was born in Lloyd Town, Canada, West, October 4, 1850; came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1854, settling on a farm in Calumet county, where he attended high school in Fond du Lac. He came to Marathon county, bought land and cleared a farm, giving some attention to lumber business while the timber on that part of the county traversed by the Wisconsin Central Railroad lasted. He is still farming, devoting hinself to stock raising. He has been postmaster in the village of Unity, chairman of the town board of the town of Brighton, and also supervisor of the village of Unity, which municipalities he represented in the county board of Marathon county. He is one of the pioneer settlers of the western part of the county, coming to Unity as the right of way was being cut out, and when only one little shanty stood at the site of Unity, which had been built only a few weeks before to give shelter to the workmen on the railroad. He was a Republican, but claiming to be an independent and acting independently, he was nominated by the Democrats and elected over his Republican opponent, G. E. Vandercook, whose claim of residence in the county was looked upon as a spurious one and only made for political purposes.


Cook, Louis H. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 920

LOUIS H. COOK, county clerk of Marathon county, who assumed the duties of office on the first Monday in January, 1913, is well known all over Marathon county, to which he was brought when two years old. He was born on a farm in Calumet county, Wis., November 25, 1876, and is a son of Alfred and Amanda (Blood) Cook. The father was a farmer and moved to Marathon county in 1874 and then moved to Calumet county, but in 1878 returned to Marathon county and settled near Unity.

Louis H. Cook attended school at Unity, Wis., and when he reached manhood went into journalism, establishing the Marathon County Register, which he published at Unity for nine years. He then sold to E. L. Messer who still conducts it. In politics he has always been a Republican and has been very active in county politics and was only twenty years of age when he was elected a justice of the peace, afterward serving in other offices, for six years being supervisor of the town of Unity. To some extent Mr. Cook has been interested in agricultural matters and the raising of livestock and poultry. He is secretary of the Central Wisconsin Poultry Association, both secretary and treasurer of the Wisconsin branch of the American Poultry Association, and is a director of the Marathon County Agricultural Society.

In 1898 Mr. Cook married Miss Effie J. Du Cate, a daughter of Moses H. Du Cate, a jeweler and photographer at Unity, Wis., and they have four children: Neal J., Russell H., Margaret and Anola. Mr. Cook is interested in and identified with many of the leading fraternal organizations, including the Masons, the Odd Fellows,, the Knights of Pythias, the M. W. A., the E. F. U. and the F. O. E.


Coughlin, Michael J. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 558

* MICHAEL J. COUGHLIN, engineer of the fire department, Wausau, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, March, 1846. He came with his parents to Milwaukee, in May, 1856. His father was a railroad contractor and worked in the construction of several divisions of the C.M. & S.P. R.R. They were in Milwaukee a short time and then went to Horicon, and from there to Ripon where they remained more than a year. From there they went to Holland Township, Brown Co., and went to farming, and in the Spring of 1859, Mr. M. J. Coughlin went to Milwaukee, and worked in the railroad shops as machinist. September, 1860, he went to Memphis, Tenn., and was engaged as railroad engineer. June, 1861, he left on account of the war, and returned to Milwaukee on the Prairie du Chien division of the railroad and run an engine. In March, 1862, he engaged in the fire department for Milwaukee City, in which capacity he remained until September, 1876; he then became assistant chief engineer and superintendent of machinery for the above city. In 1876, he went to Stevens Point, and run a steam fire engine for that city, until May 1880. Then he worked for Mr. John Wicks on the Big Eau Pleine, in the capacity of engineer, and was there until August, 1880. He then went to Stevens Point, and worked repairing engines until Sept. 1, 1880, then to D. Hutchinson's mill, on the Little Eau Pleine River, and run the engine there until he came to Wausau, November 1880.


Cramer, William Frank (1929)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Thursday, 11 Apr. 1929

William Frank Cramer, 304 West Fourth Street, was born near West Bend, Wisconsin, May 10, 1864, and is a twin brother of Mrs. Frank Fenton of this city. From West Bend his parents moved to Silver Creek where he attended school. When he was 17 years old the family moved to a farm near Spencer, where he made his home until he was 24 years of age, when he came to this city to accept employment. His arrival in Marshfield occurred just a few months after the fire of 1887, which virtually destroyed the entire city. His first work here was as a teamster in the employ of Joseph Rumenoff, with whom he remained a year. The next 11 years were spent in the employ of the Upham Manufacturing Company driving teams, mainly, after which he became the carriage driver, house-chore man, and chauffeur for the late ex-governor W. H. Upham. During the past three years he has been serving as chauffeur for H. G. Hambright, vice president of the First National Bank.

His wife, to whom he was married in the Catholic church at Hewitt about four years ago, formerly was Miss Cornelia Seitz of McMillan. They are the parents of five children: Walter, Chicago; Loretta, teacher in Antigo; Eleanor, Raymond and Herbert, Marshfield.

Mr. Cramer is a trustee of the Owls Lodge. His other fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen of America. Politically, he is a Republican. His hobby is entertaining friends.


Charles F. Crosby (1847 - 1889)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin, (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 558

* HON. CHARLES F. CROSBY, attorney at law, Wausau, was born in the town of Waterloo, Jefferson Co., Wis., Dec. 12, 1847, and when he was nine years of age moved with his father, Elisha F. Crosby, to Dell Prairie, Adams Co., Wis., living there until the Spring of 1871, when he went to Luverne, Rock Co., Minn., and engaged in the practice of law there. Mr. Crosby was educated at Bronson and Kilbourn Institutes, pursuing a collegiate course expecting to enter Lawrence University. He was admitted to the Bar in the Fall of 1870. While in Minnesota, he was District Attorney, County, Judge, and member of Assembly. He came to Wausau July 29, 1875, and was District Attorney in 1878, and elected State Senator in the Fall of 1880. He was married, Nov. 18, 1873, in Benton, Kennebec Co., Me., to Adassah C. Spencer, a native of Benton.

Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 535; transcribed by Mary Saggio

CHARLES F. CROSBY (Rep.), of Wausau, was born in the town of Waterloo, Jefferson county, Wisconsin, on the 12th day of December, 1847; he received an academic education and is a lawyer by profession; has resided in Wisconsin all his life, with the exception of four years in Minnesota; was district attorney of Rock county, Minn., two years; county judge of the same county, two years; was a member of the Minnesota assembly in 1874; was district attorney of Marathon county in 1877; was elected state senator for 1881, ’82, receiving 6,028 votes against 4,954 votes for George W. Cate, democrat.

Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Nancy Overlander

CHARLES T. CROSBY, Wausau, was born in Jefferson county, Wisconsin, December 12, 1847, and was educated in the public schools, the Bronson Institute, Point Bluff, completing his studies at the Kilbourn Institute, Kilbourn City. He read law with J. Bowman, Kilbourn City, and was admitted in the fall of 1870, at Friendship, Adams county. He practice has been at Luverne, Minnesota, and with B. W. James, his present partner, at Wausau, where he now resides. When living in Minnesota he held the office of county judge for Rock county; was district attorney for the same county in 1872, 1873 and 1874; was elected to the Minnesota legislature in 1874; came to Wausau in July, 1875, and in 1877 was elected district attorney for Marathon county. Mr. Crosby is a member of Forest Lodge of F. and A. Masons at Wausau, also of Wausau Chapter R. A. Masons, the Berlin Commandery of Knights Templar, and a member of the Knights of Honor, and the I. O. of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Crosby is now member of the state senate, having been elected November, 1880, as a republican, by a majority of 1,074 votes, in a strongly democratic district, over George W. Cate, ex-member of Congress of the eighth congressional district. For the session of the legislature of 1881 Senator Crosby served on the committee on the judiciary and on engrossed bills, and on important committees at the session of 1882.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 228

Charles F. Crosby was born in the town of Waterloo, Jefferson county, Wisconsin, December 12, 1847. His boyhood days were spent in Adams county, Wisconsin. He was educated in Bronson and Kilbourn institutes, pursuing a collegiate course. He was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1870; went to Minnesota in 1871, and while there was elected to the office of district attorney, county judge, and member of assembly. He came to Wausau in 1875, entered into the practice of law with B. W. James under the firm name of James & Crosby; was elected as district attorney in 1878 as a candidate of the Greenback party, and to the state senate in 1880 as a Republican. At the resignation of H. S. Alban as municipal judge of Marathon county caused by changing his residence to Rhinelander, Oneida county, Mr. Crosby was appointed as successor to Judge Alban,, in January, 1888, which office he held until his death on the first day of December, 1889. C. F. Crosby made a host of friends during his short sojurn in Marathon county by his affability and generous good nature. He was buried with Masonic honors at Wausau.


Crowell, Hoel (Spencer Pioneer)
Source: Spencer Centennial Booklet (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) 1874 – 1974, pages 6-7

Hoel (called “Dad”) Crowell was attracted, as most pioneers were, by the prospect of work in a new town and came to Spencer from Calumet County in 1875, a month or two ahead of his family, to provide a home for them. He built the original part of the Len Hardy residence and his wife, Frances (Wauby), and two daughters arrived in November of that year. The Charley Plomer, James Voight, George Ress and Pulcifer families were their neighbors on the east side of the railroad track.

In 1898 they left to care for Mr. Crowell’s sister at Brotherton. Then, in 1900, they returned to Spencer and built another home on the corner of Wisconsin and East Mill, which is now the remodeled home of Mr. and Mrs. Warren Jacobitz.

“Dad” Crowell was an intensely patriotic man, of Dutch and American Indian extraction and his wife was of full Indian heritage. He was a Civil War Veteran and a Charter member of the local G.A.R. Post. In 1902 he was granted a veteran’s pension of $6.00 per month.

In later years he sold his home and he and his daughter, Rizpah, bought a small home adjoining the Veterans Home at King, Wisconsin. He became a member of the Home though not residing on the grounds and Rizpah continued her trade of dressmaking. She had formerly been a school teacher and became a teacher of the Bible class at the Home.

“Dad” Crowell returned to Spencer each year, without fail, for the Memorial Day observances and was always a guest at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Andrews. On his last trip, he died suddenly on the morning of May 31, 1921 while sitting in a rocker on their porch.

The Crowells were a prominent pioneer family and were very active in Civic and Church affairs. Both Mrs. Crowell and Rizpah had beautiful alto voices and were members of the Methodist Church Choir.


Cuer, William (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 570

* WILLIAM CUER, dealer in provisions, Mosinee, settled at Waupun in 1847, where he lived about nine months. He came to Mosinee in January, 1848 where he worked at various things for about three years. Then he opened a saloon, but in 1862 went to teaming and logging. He was married July 4, 1869. He then began farming and his present business. He also followed piloting rafts on the Little Bull Falls, from 1851 to 1876 inclusive. These rapids are said to be the most difficult and dangerous on the Wisconsin River.


Culver, L. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 573

* L. CULVER, lumberman, Spencer, was born in Madison, March 29, 1860. In 1874, he went to Bloommgton Grove, where he stayed till 1876; was then engaged in lumbering till 1880, when he came to Spencer, and is now with T. H. March. His parents, Andrew Jackson Culver and Asena Bennett Culver, lived in Dane County on a farm. His mother married, after his father's death, Mr. Grippes; they, with a sister and step-brother, make up the family now at the old place.


Curran, John C. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, pages 558-559

* JOHN C. CURRAN, lumberman, was born in St. Amicet, Canada, Aug. 22, 1838. He settled in Jenny, Lincoln Co. in 1855, where he followed his present business, and remained two years; from there he moved to Eagle River, and helped cut and put in the first logs in that section; he remained there two and a half years, from there he moved to the mouth of the Pelican River in the same county on the Wisconsin River, where he still does business. He occasionally lives in Wausau. He was married September, 1870, to Lizzie S. Sloan, who was born in Saint Edwards, in the Province of Quebec, March 20, 1849. They have four children – Mary J., Thomas B., Lizzie P., and Muriel J.


Curtin, Frank J. (1930)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Monday, 18 Aug. 1930

Frank J. Curtin, clerk of the village of Stratford and justice of the peace since 1895, was born August 24, 1869, in Augusta, Maine. Eight years later he accompanied his parents to LeRoy, Minnesota, where he attended the public graded and high schools. Later he learned telegraphy, and became station agent and operator for the Milwaukee and North Western Railways, being assigned to duties at Stratford in 1892. At that time there were but four houses, a store and two saloons in the community, besides a depot. In 1895 he was elected village clerk, and has had charge of all correspondence and records in connection with the many improvements which have helped make the village the up-to-date community which it is today. From 1909 to 1914 he published the Stratford Reporter, a weekly newspaper. From 1920, following the installation of a water department, he was appointed clerk of the same, and in 1925, when lights were installed, he added the duties of that department to his other activities.

He was married October 28, 1891, at Stratford to Miss Minerva Willets. They have had five children, one of whom, Mary, died five years ago. The others are Harry, a printer whose present address is not known; William, who is employed as lumber grader in Stratford; and Frank Jr. and Robert, at home. Politically, he is a Republican.


Curtis, Cornelius S. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 708

CORNELIUS S. CURTIS, president of the Curtis-Yale Company, manufacturers of sash, doors, etc., at Wausau, is officially or otherwise connected with additional enterprises of large importance here. He was born on a farm in Chenango county, N. Y., August 1, 1851, and is a son of John S. and Elizabeth Curtis.

Cornelius S. Curtis left his native state when five years old, went to Rochelle, Ill., and remained there until early manhood. He went to Clinton, Ia., in the year of 1869 to join his two brothers, who, in 1866, had established themselves in the manufacture of sash, door and inside wood work in that city. In 1869 Mr. Curtis entered the factory and worked in all departments of the business, in 1872 starting out as commercial man and continued on the road until coming to Wausau. When Mr. Curtis came to Wausau, June 3, 1881, it was as a member of the firm of Curtis Bros. & Co., and the business was established here under the same title. On January 1, 1893, the Curtis-Yale Company was incorporated separately, and at the same time took over the Minneapolis branch of Curtis Bros. & Co., it being the jobbing house of the firm. This is the largest factory of any kind in Marathon county, having two plants at Wausau and giving employment to 600 people. In addition to being president of the above corporation, Mr. Curtis is president of the Ingram Lumber Company of Wausau; president of the Wausau Sand Paper Company; president of the Fenwood Lumber Company of Wausau, and second vice president of the First National Bank of Wausau.

Mr. Curtis was married at Clinton, Ia., to Miss Emma M. Gulick, of that city, and they have two sons: John E., who is superintendent of plant No. 2, of the Curtis-Yale Company at Wausau; and Walter E., who is secretary and assistant treasurer of the Curtis-Yale Company. Mr. Curtis is prominent in Masonic circles, is a Mason of the thirty-second degree and a Shriner. Socially he is identified with the Wausau Club and the Wausau Country Club.


Curtis, Walter E. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 839-840

WALTER E. CURTIS, secretary and general manager of one of the very important business concerns of Marathon county, the Curtis & Yale Company, manufacturers of sash, doors, etc., is also vice president of the Fenwood Lumber Company of Wausau, and stands high in business circles in this section. He was born May 9, 1880, at Dennison, Iowa, and is a son of C. S. Curtis, one of the founders of the above manufacturing company.

Walter E. Curtis was an infant when his parents came to Wausau and here he was reared, attended the common and high schools and then spent two years at the University of Wisconsin. Upon his return to this city he entered the offices of Curtis & Yale and has worked his way through all departments, earning his way to his present responsibilities. Mr. Curtis has long been interested in and identified with Masonry, uniting with the local lodge when twenty-one years of age, is a thirty-second degree member and is serving in his second term as eminent commander of St. Omnar Commandery, Knights Templar.

On June 12, 1906, Mr. Curtis was married to Miss Sadie Washburn, of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and they have three children: Harriet, Emma and Catherine. He is identified with the Wausau Club, being one of its board of directors.
 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.