Biographies
Marathon County Wisconsin -
D Surnames

*
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman (unless otherwise noted) -- Back To Biographies Index
History -- Births -- Marriages -- Obits ---- Wood County Wisconsin Biographies 


Dallman, Edward (1929)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Tuesday, 16 July 1929

Edward Dallman is a son of Mr. and Mrs. William Dallman, town of Reid, Marathon County, Wisconsin. He was born September 25, 1905. After finishing his course in the school in Reid he attended the high school in Wausau, from which he graduated in 1926. Next he worked on his father's farm a year and then became a student of the Wausau Business Institute, graduating in 1928, following which he served as a bookkeeper for the T. Olsen Fuel Company in Stevens Point until last December, when he accepted his present position with the Connor Retail Lumber Company of this city.

During his freshman and sophomore years in high school he sang bass with the glee club. He also was a member of the college glee club.

Mr. Dallman was married to Miss Lucille Rozmenoski, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Rozmenoski, town of Reid, in the Catholic church in Bevent on June 4, 1929. Mr. and Mrs. Dallman are making their home at 712 West Arnold Street.

Politically, he is a Republican. His hobby is motoring.


Damm, Thelma Janet (Engagement - 1958)
Source: Abbotsford Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 5 June 1958 

* Mr. and Mrs. Albert Damm, Stetsonville, announce the engagement of their daughter, Thelma Janet, to Galen Olson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Olson, Abbotsford. The couple has set no definite date. 

The bride-elect was just graduated from Taylor County Teachers’ College and Mr. Olson from Wausau Vocational and Educational School. 


Damon, Ina (Milestones)
Source: Spencer Centennial Booklet (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) 1874 – 1974, page 43

Ina Damon, oldest daughter of A. A. (Gus) and Carrie Heath Damon, is Spencer’s oldest native born citizen. She now resides at the Marshfield Convalescent Center. Ina, who has vivid memories of the fire of 1886 and many other aspects of Spencer’s early days, has diligently kept a history of her town, with scrap books of newspaper clippings and photo albums. These, and her amazing memory, have provided the Centennial Book Committee with invaluable information.

Ina became a school teacher and taught the intermediate grades in the “middle room” of our old school house. She left the teaching profession to attend Wausau Business College, and after finishing the stenographic course, became private secretary to Mr. Widmer, the College president. After passing the Civil Service examination in 1918, she was employed by the U.S. Navy in the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts in Washington D.C. After completing a course in supervision in 1943 she became a supervisor in that department.

She returned to Spencer, to the family home on West Mill Street, in 1946 where she and her sisters, Calla, Ethel and Lucille and brothers, Frank, Faye, Grant, Glen, Seth and Walter had been reared, to care for her aged mother. Following her mother’s death, the home was sold and Ina moved to an apartment above the bank on Clark and LaSalle Streets. Her brother, Glen, a veteran of World War I, lived there with her the rest of his life. Sometime after her brother’s death, she moved into a part of the former Collin Williams residence on East Main Street, now owned by Mrs. Elsie Mellenthin. Here she did her last housekeeping and here people of all ages, children, teenagers, and grown-ups loved to come and visit with her.

Ina enjoys letters and visits from her former pupils, as well as relatives and other old friends, including Spencer folk. She has always been a very efficient, enthusiastic person, and while the efficiency may have waned with the years, the enthusiasm has not abated, nor has her cheerfulness and keen sense of humor. She reads her newspaper each day and is well informed on current events. A life-long Republican, she retains her faith in the integrity of President Nixon and the ability of her country to survive a political trauma or any other catastrophe and still remain the greatest country with the greatest government in existence.

It is a joy to visit her, and all who do, leave with lifted spirits and a resolve to try to grow old like Ina Damon.


Damon, Joseph. S. (Spencer Pioneer and 1881 Bio)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 573

* J. S. DAMON, farmer and lumberer, Spencer, was born in town of Shallott, Washington Co., Me., April 21, 1827. He lived in the State till 1863, when he came to Adams County, bought a farm, and went to lumbering and farming. He began with $3, and came to Spencer, in 1874, with $1,400, with which he bought three village lots and a farm of forty acres. J. S. Damon & Sons are lumbering, having harvested in the Winter of 1880-l, 1,200,000 logs. He married the first time, in 1850. His wife died, leaving one child, Paulina S., now Mrs. McLoughlin. He married again, in 1853, Miss S. S. Clark, of Maine. They have five children — Fred F., Gustus A., Florence A., Jabas P., and Maudie S. Mr. Damon has been Constable in Adams County. He enlisted in 1862 in 28th Me. Vols., Co. C; mustered out in 1863. He is a Mason, a member of the Temple of Honor and the Free Will Baptist Church.

Source: Spencer Centennial Booklet (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) 1874 – 1974, page 7

Joseph S. and Susan Clark Damon migrated from Lubec, Maine, to Strongs Prairie, Adams County, in 1869. When James Robinson was back in Lubec on a visit, he told Mr. Damon and other men that there was plenty of work in Wisconsin. A party of them returned with the Robinsons, including Mr. Damon, who bought 80 acres of land and built a house for his family. The family arrived at Strongs Prairie on Thanksgiving Day after having traveled one week on crowded trains. In 1874 Mr. Damon came to Spencer to work for James Robinson, who had erected a mill here. His family joined him here in 1875 and they continued to spend the rest of their lives here. Mr. Damon and his sons later operated logging camps and a mill of their own.


Daniels Family Biographies - Marathon County Wisconsin


Davenport, Wilbur C. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 559

* WILBUR C. DAVENPORT, jeweler, began business at Stevens Point, September, 1873, and continued there three years and six months. He afterward located in Wausau, where he again engaged in the same business. He was born in Portage County, Sept. 13, 1857.


Davis, Thomas (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 963

THOMAS DAVIS, vice president of the Mosinee Land, Log and Timber Company, of Mosinee, Wis., superintendent of the mill and also a heavy stockholder, was born in Green Lake county, Wis., January 4, 1852, and is a son of Edward and Mary Davis.

Edward Davis was born in Wales, but was married in England, where his wife was born. They came some years later to the United States and settled in Green Lake county, Wis., where Edward Davis was a farmer. The following children were born to them: John, Edward, Thomas, William, Elizabeth and Mary, Elizabeth being the widow of John Michaels.

Thomas Davis obtained his education in the schools of Green Lake county and afterwards came to the northern woods and has been in the lumber business for thirty years. He has additional interests, being a stockholder in the Mosinee paper mill and also in the electric company here. As a citizen he has been useful and public-spirited and has been a member of the village board for some time. He is an independent voter, nominally a Republican.

In 1879 Mr. Davis was married to Miss Viva Bigsby, a daughter of Samuel Bigsby, a farmer in Waushara county, Wis. His family was made up of the following children: Hattie, wife of W. W. Dunham; Alice, wife of James Lynch; Adelaide, wife of B. E. Upton; Viva, wife of Thomas Davis; and Samuel, Oscar and Frank. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Davis: Leon W.; Lillian E., wife of August Halberg, and Chester G. The family belongs to the Episcopal church. Mr. Davis is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America.


Degner, Henry (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 660-661

HENRY DEGNER, architect and builder, and dealer in builders' supplies, at Athens, is one of the substantial men of this place and is concerned in many successful and reputable enterprises. He was born at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, November 3, 1852, and is a son of Frederick and Frederica (Neudahl) Degner. The parents of Mr. Degner were born, reared and married in Germany. After coming to the United States they lived for three years in the city of Milwaukee and then moved on a farm in the town of Grafton and remained there until 1882 and then came to Marathon county. Here the father continued to be a farmer as long as he was active, surviving until he was eighty-two years of age. His widow reached the unusual age of ninety years. They were well known and highly respected people and are recalled as early settlers in this section. They had the following children: Henry, Emily, wife of Gustav Teggart; Herman; William; and Elvina, wife of Otto Bruss.

After a rather short school period, Henry Degner gave his father assistance on the home farm until he was seventeen years of age, when he went to Milwaukee and there spent eight years working at the carpenter trade, and two years as a contractor, during which time he erected a number of church edifices. In 1880 he came to Athens, then called Black Lick Falls, commissioned to build a saw mill for Rietbrock & Halsey, and during the first ten years of the village's growth, did the main work of construction. He started also a hardware store in 1882 and continued the same until 1909, and in 1890 started what is now the E. E. Winch Heading Mill. He continued to be interested in that concern until 1904, about fifteen years, then made it into a stock company and was one of the partners of the same for six years, then sold and since then has taken life a little easier although still carefully looking after his investments. These include stock in the Athens Bank and in the Long Distance Telephone Company, and the ownership of a handsome residence property and two entire business blocks.

In 1882 Mr. Degner was married to Miss Caroline Kreutzer, and they have the following children: Lydia, who is the wife of Baldwin Whipking; Adaline, who is a teacher in the public schools; Caroline, who is the wife of Dr. A. M. Rodermund; Hilda, who is a teacher at Columbus, Wisconsin; and Herbert. Mr. Degner and family are members of the German Lutheran church. In politics a strong Democrat, he has frequently been honored by his party with election to important offices and served seven years as town treasurer and is now serving in his second term as assessor.


Deichsel, Frank (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 929

FRANK DEICHSEL, general farmer in the town of Maine, owns 127 acres of land. He was born at Wausau, Wis., January 20, 1862 and has spent his life in Marathon county. His parents, August and Mary (Kolter) Deichsel, were born in Germany and are now deceased, their burial being at Wausau. They had the following children: Charles, Jacob, Frank, George, Helen, wife of William Rienow, Amelia, wife of John T. Drinkwater, Marie, wife of George Marthalor and August.

Frank Deichsel attended school until old enough for farm work. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers' Produce Company and one of the stockholders and treasurer, the store and warehouse being situated on the corner of Third and Forest streets, Wausau. Since November I8, 1912 he has had charge of this store and for two years has had charge of the warehouse.

In 1887 Mr. Deichsel was married to Miss Bertha Schurtt, who was born in Marathon county, a daughter of Frederick and Caroline (Haker) Schurtt. They have three children: Robert, Frank J. and Agnes. In politics he is a Democrat, and he belongs to the M. W. A. at Wausau. The family belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran church.


Deininger, Louis (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 892

LOUIS DEININGER, who is one of Marathon county's well known and highly respected men, resides on his valuable farm of 160 acres lying in section 26, town of Cassel, was born at McKeesport, Pa., April 2, 1859, and is a son of Anson Michael and Maggie (Herly) Deininger.

Anson Michael Deininger was born in Germany and was sixteen years of age when he came to America and went to work in coal mines in Pennsylvania. He married Maggie Herly, who was also born in Germany, and they had seven children, four of whom yet live. Louis was about seventeen years old when the family came to Marathon county and located on the present home farm. At that time the entire tract was covered with heavy timber but the father, with the help of his sons cleared ninety acres. The father put up a residence on the site of which Louis Deininger later built the present comfortable brick residence. The parents died on this farm, the father living to the age of ninety-two years.

Louis Deininger attended the schools of Burnham, Pa., but after coming to Marathon county found little time for books, work awaiting him on the farm and in the woods and in the saw mill at Mosinee. He here carries on general farming and on this place all his children have been born. He married Miss Annie Golbach, who was born in the town of Cassel, a daughter of Albert Golbach, and they have three children: Joseph, Rudy and Mary. The family belongs to St. Mary's Catholic Church. Mr. Deininger is a stockholder in the Edgar-Cassel Telephone Company, in the State Bank at Marathon City, and in the Marathon City Brewing Company. While never active in political life Mr. Deininger is a well informed man concerning public matters, and never fails to cast his vote for the Democratic party.


Michael DeJardian (1907)
Source: Early and late Mosinee, by Edger E. Ladu (1907) pages 107-108

The subject of this sketch was a full blood Indian, of the Chippewa tribe. He was born not more than two miles from where the village of Mosinee now stands. His fathers tepee was located not far from the bank of the Wisconsin river where he had cleared a small patch of ground of its brush and small trees that his squaw might have a place to plant some corn and a few vegetables, as they were rather above the ordinary Indians in intelligence and patterned somewhat after the fashion of the whites in many respects. Mechell, as he was called, in his early life was engaged with his father in
trapping, fishing and hunting, which in that early day was a very lucrative business, as there were plenty of beaver, otter, mink, martin and many other fur bearing animals in all parts of this country. Mechell was very friendly with the whites, and often worked in the lumber camps and on log drives with them, and was greatly respected by all the citizens of Mosinee.

He enlisted in the army during the war of the Rebellion, for three years, and served the whole term of his enlistment and proved to be an excellent and couragious soldier. He was in several battles and suffered the loss of the fingers of both hands, which were shot off during action. At the expiration of his term of enlistment he was honorably discharged and allowed a pension and citizenship. He then returned to Mosinee, married an Indian maiden of his tribe, and after a few years residence near here he moved his family onto the Flambeau Indian Reservation, where they made their permanent residence. He divided his time between where his family were and the village of Mosinee, where he was always welcomed by its citizens. He was
inoffensive, never quarrelsome, always good natured. He would at times get funny and at such times he amused the children by singing and giving an exhibition on the
sidewalks of the Indian style of dancing. He always came to Mosinee to get his pension. Three years ago this spring, 1904 he came for that purpose and was taken sick and died. He was buried from the Catholic Church, of which he was a member, and was followed to his last resting place by the old soldiers and residents of the village.


Delaney, Patrick (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 559

* PATRICK DELANEY, dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, settled in Fond du Lac in 1856; lived there two years, then went to Oshkosh, and remained several years; from there he went to Baraboo Valley, Sauk Co., for five years, then returned to Oshkosh. In the fall of 1872, he came to Wausau. He was born in Montral, Canada, March 3, 1846. He was married in Oshkosh, April 28, 1870, to Joanna Sheehy, who was born in Ireland, April 1846. They have five children – Alva M., Sarah B., Joanna E., Margaret E., and Jennie M.


Frank L. Demers (1881 and 1907)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 570

* FRANK L. DEMERS, dealer in general merchandise, drugs and groceries, boots and shoes, Mosinee, was born in LeCadie, Lower Canada, Dec. 25, 1842. He came to Jenny in the Fall of 1856, and spent the Winter logging, and in the Spring, went to Mosinee and worked in the saw mill of J. Dessert, where he remained until 1865. Then he rented a store, and began in the mercantile trade, following it one year. He then worked for Mr. Dessert again, and continued with him until 1871. He then built a large store building, and embarked in his present business. He was married at Stockton, Portage Co., November, 1870, to Adelia Moyer, who was born in Rochester, N. Y., July 23, 1845. They have four children — Zelda G., Frank L., Jr., Clarence O. and Edward N.

Source: Early and late Mosinee, by Edger E. Ladu (1907) pages 141-142

Frank L. Demers is a native of Canada. He came to Wisconsin in 1855 and worked through the winter in the pinery for a lumber firm at Jenny Bull (now Merrill). In the spring of 1856 he came to Mosinee and engaged to work for Mr. Joseph Dessert, in whose employ he remained for several years, until he embarked in business for himself in the mercantile trade. He followed this trade for a few years and then retired
to his farm, where he worked hard in cultivating the soil. Becoming dissatisfied with farming he returned to the village of Mosinee and since that time has been engaged in the fruit, confections and grocery business. On November 14, 1871, he was married to Miss Adelia Moyer of Stockton, Portage county, Wisconsin. They have four children: Zelda G., Frank L. Jr., Clarence O. and Edward N. Mr. Demers is an old man, but you
would not think him over fifty years of age, as he is well preserved, having taken good care of himself. He always has been strictly temperate and has never been sick except with cold, with which he has never been laid up more than a day or two since he came to Wisconsin, a fact that speaks well for the healthfulness of this part of the state. Mr. Demers belongs to early as well as late Mosinee. He is a man that attends
strictly to his own business. He is a justice of the peace and notary public. He never has put himself forward for public office. He makes no pretensions of being in sympathy with democracy, but is willing that the majority should rule, yet he would prefer that majority to be republican. He was brought up a Roman Catholic, but makes no pretensions now of adhering to that faith.


Dengel, Adam (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 559

* ADAM DENGEL, merchant, Wausau, was born in Prussia, June 27, 1832, and came to Wisconsin in the Summer of 1846, with his parents. They located in the town of Addison, Washington Co., living in that county until 1866. He was, for thirteen years, proprietor of the Hartford House, one of the first hotels in the place. Removed to Appleton in 1866. He kept a grocery in the latter place until 1876, when he came to Wausau, and engaged in general merchandising. Mr. Dengel was married in the town of Hartford, Washington Co., Wis., in November, 1853, to Mary Schwerbel, who was born in Hesse-Darmstadt. They have two children, John and Mary, now Mrs. John J. Sherman. Lost one daughter, who died June 26, 1867, aged seven years.


Dessert, Joseph (1881 & 1895)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 570

* JOSEPH DESSERT, saw and planing mill, Mosinee, was born in Maskenonge, Lower Canada, Jan. 8, 1819. He first came to the Lake Superior country, in the employ of the American Fur Co., in 1840, where he remained until the Spring of 1844. He came to Mosinee in October, 1844, where he began working by the month and by the job in the lumber business until the Fall of 1849. He then rented a saw mill, in company with Henry Gate and James Etheridge, and operated it until 1852, at which time they bought the same and ran it until 1854, when they bought the interest of Mr. Ethridge, and in 1859, Mr. Dessert bought Mr. Gate's interest, and took full control, which mills he operated until 1880, when he took in Mr. Louis Dessert, a nephew of his. They are now doing a large business. Mr. Dessert was married in 1862, at Waukesha, to Mary S. Sanford, who was born in Oswego, N. Y., in 1837. They have had two children, Stella L. Dessert and an infant now deceased. Mrs. Dessert died, July 1, 1881, at her home in Mosinee. Mr. Dessert's saw mill was erected and in operation in 1874. The capacity is 85,000 per day. They manufacture 50,000 shingles, 15,000 laths and 8,000 pickets in eleven hours. The planing mill was erected in 1878, the capacity of which is: surfacing, 35,000 per day; dressing, flooring or ship lap, 15,000. They employ 100 men, and have a home market for all of their lumber, etc.

Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin Counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawano (1895)

JOSEPH DESSERT. Few men have resided continuously in the Upper Wisconsin Valley for over fifty years. Joseph Dessert has not only been a resident of Marathon county for over half a century, but he has during that period built up a vast lumbering business that is perhaps second to none in the State. He has made no business failures, and his name is a synonym of enduring confidence and integrity. Not swerved from his business by this or that glittering bubble, he has made it one of the substantial bulwarks of northern Wisconsin.

Mr. Dessert is a native of Canada, having been born in Maskinonge, Province of Quebec, January 8, 1819, son of Peter and Melonie (Baulien) Dessert, both natives of that province. Twelve children were born to them, four of whom survive: Melonie, wife of Adolphus Martin, still living in her native home at the advanced age of eighty-one years; Joseph, subject of this sketch; and Dosite and Bozilis, both residents of the Province of Canada, the latter being widow of Louis Landry. Joseph attended the schools of the neighborhood of his father's home, and worked at lumbering in Canada until he was twenty-two years of age. In May, 1 840, he made a trip to the Lake Superior region, and for four years was employed by the American Fur and Trading Co. Returning home July 1, 1844, he remained only a few months, and September 16 started, an unknown young man, on a long journey to the unknown forests of Wisconsin, where thenceforth he was to make his home, and which he was destined to honor by his exemplary and potent business career. Reaching Buffalo, he proceeded by steamer to Milwaukee, thence by lumber wagon to Fort Winnebago, now Portage City. He pushed on to Whitney Rapids by team, but the destination was still nearly seventy-five miles away, and the country sparsely settled, principally by Indians. This long and tiresome journey was made afoot. Mr. Dessert reached Mosinee October 20, 1844, and from that date to the present he has been a continuous resident of Marathon county For five years he worked for wages in the solitudes of this vast wilderness, lumbering and logging on the river. Then, in 1849, he joined fortunes with three other young men—William Pencast, Henry Cate and James Etheridge —and, under the firm name of Pencast, Dessert & Co., started the business which has grown into the extensive trade now commanded by the Joseph Dessert Lumber Co. One by one the original parties dropped out, until Mr. Dessert was left sole owner. First Mr. Pencast withdrew, in 1850, and the firm became Dessert, Cate & Co. Four years later Mr. Etheridge sold his interest to the remaining partners, and the style of the firm became Dessert & Cate. In 1859 Mr. Dessert purchased his partner's interest and became sole owner. Alone he conducted the business for twenty-one years; then, in 1880, he admitted to partnership his nephew, Louis Dessert. For ten years the business was under the firm name of Joseph Dessert & Co., and in December, 1890, the present Joseph Dessert Lumber Co. was incorporated, now officered by Joseph Dessert, president; Louis Dessert, vice-president and manager, and H. M. Thompson, secretary and treasurer. Mrs. H. M. Thompson is a stockholder. The company conducts one of the most extensive lumber business in the State.

In 1862 Joseph Dessert was married, in Waukesha county, to Miss Mary Sanford, daughter of William E. and Lavina T. Sanford, the former a native of Connecticut, the latter of New York State. Mr. and Mrs. Dessert have had two children: Marion M., who died in infancy, and Stella, wife of Henry M. Thompson, secretary and treasurer of the Joseph Dessert Lumber Co.

Mrs. Dessert died July 1, 1881. Though frequently tendered important and responsible offices Mr. Dessert has almost invariably refused to accept, and in no sense has he ever been an aspirant for political honors, knowing that his business, if neglected, must suffer. Yet he has ever been ready with his counsel and means to forward enterprises promoting the public welfare; he served for several terms as a member of the county board, and was also county commissioner for one term. Mr. Dessert is now in his seventy-seventh year, and has shifted the burden of active business life to younger shoulders. He is in the enjoyment of good health, and has the friendship and esteem of all who have known him, either in public or in private life. No man better deserves the good will of others than he, and none possesses it in a greater degree.


Dessert, Louis (1895 & 1913)
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin Counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawano (1895)

LOUIS DESSERT, vice-president of The Joseph Dessert Lumber Co. Mosinee, was born in the parish of Saint Ambroise, Kildare, Province of Quebec, Canada, June 6, 1849, and is a son of Antoine and Edvige (Rotelle) Dessert, both natives of Canada, the latter of whom is still a resident of the old homestead. Our subject received a French education in his native town, and when nineteen years of age he came to Mosinee, where he attended the public schools for two terms, in order to perfect his knowledge of the English language. After leaving school he was employed in the extensive lumber business of Joseph Dessert, remaining in the capacity of an employe until 1880, in which year he became a partner, the firm name being changed to Joseph Dessert & Co. In
1890, when the Joseph Dessert Lumber Co. was organized and incorporated, Louis Dessert became vice-president, an official title which he still holds, and under it he is the active general manager of the company's extensive business.

On November 25, 1882, he was married, in Mosinee, to Miss Abbie Richardson. Their family of three children is composed of Howard, born September 16, 1883; Louise, born March 25, 1887; and Blanche, born May 15, 1892. In politics Mr. Dessert is a Republican. In 1889 he was president of the village of Mosinee, and he has also served as supervisor. He is one of the active, progressive business men of the county, and deservedly popular among all classes of the community. Mr. Dessert is also a member of the firm of C. Gardner & Co., lumbermen and general merchants. He possesses business abilities of a high order, and though yet comparatively young in years, his influence in the development of Marathon county is widely felt.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 643-644

LOUIS DESSERT, who is one of the enterprising and far sighted business men of Marathon county, president of the Mosinee Land, Log & Timber Company and vice president of the State Bank at Mosinee, Wis., with many additional interests, was born June 6, 1849, in Canada, and is a son of Antoine and Edvige (Rotonelle) Dessert. Both parents have long since passed away. They left six sons and four daughters.

Louis Dessert had rather meager educational privileges and was yet a boy when he went to work around saw mills and in lumber yards, these early years of training, however, probably setting the trend of his life in which it has continued, for Mr. Dessert, while concerned in many lines of industry, has always been more closely connected with lumber activities. He came to Marathon county in 1869. In addition to the interests named he owns stock in the Mosinee Land, Log and Timber Company, in the Westfield and Fall River Company and in the Mosinee Electric Light and Telephone Company. A Republican in politics, he has taken an active part in all movements for the town's good government, served one year on the county board of commissioners and for three years was president of Mosinee Village.

In 1883 Mr. Dessert was married to Miss Abbie Richardson, who was born in New Hampshire, and they have three children: Howard, who is in the lumber business in Chicago, Ill.; and Louise and Blanche. Mr. Dessert and family belong to the Roman Catholic church.


Dethloff, Frederick Charles (1929)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Thursday, 7 Mar. 1929

Frederick Charles Dethloff was born in the Province of Pommern, Germany, November 19, 1864, and was brought to this country by his parents when he was seven years old. Locating in Milwaukee, he lived there until the age of 17 when he accepted employment on a farm near Bensenville, Illinois, where he remained four years. Then he followed farming in Kankakee County, Illinois. At the age of 37, he moved to his present farm in the town of McMillan, purchased a year previously. When he took possession of this land, only 15 of the 100 acres were under plow; now he has 50 acres under plow, with the rest nearly cleared of timber and much of it in pasturage.

He was married to Miss Mary Friese of Bonfield, Kankakee County, Illinois, at the home of her parents by Reverend Albert Woehr, an Evangelical pastor, April 8, 1888. Their children are: Mrs. John Fahey, Marshfield; Mrs. Albert Swenson, Larson, Wisconsin; Henry, Neenah; Luella, stenographer at the Miller Fruit Company, Marshfield; Amanda and Viola, at home.

He is a director of both the Farmers’ Cooperative Produce Company and the Marshfield Equity Livestock Shipping Association, secretary of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company. For 17 years he was secretary-treasurer of the McMillan Equity Local. He was also a former chairman, clerk and assessor of the town of McMillan. Politically, he is a progressive Republican. His hobbies are reading and motoring.


Deutsch, Frederick M. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 928-929

FREDERICK M. DEUTSCH, a business man of acknowledged reliability, with numerous important interests at Wausau, Wis., stands high personally with his fellow citizens, with whom he willingly cooperates in all matters of civic concern. He was born at West Bend, Wis., September 8, 1865, and is a son of Frank and Elizabeth (Licht) Deutsch.

Frederick M. Deutsch was reared and educated at West Bend, Wis., and there learned the harness making trade. His father was in the furniture and undertaking business there and in that way the youth learned many practical details which later proved of great value when he became associated with his present line. In 1884 he came to Wausau and for four years was employed here in a furniture store and on June 8, 1888, became associated with Frank Ritter in the furniture and undertaking business, under, at that time, the firm style of Ritter & Deutsch. The former partner of Mr. Ritter had been Mr. Stahl and the firm of Ritter & Stahl established this business in 1884, Mr. Stahl selling his interest to Mr. Deutsch four years later. Up to 1893 the company engaged also in the manufacture of bar, store and office fixtures but in that year closed out that feature and have since given entire attention to the other departments, for which they are thoroughly equipped in every way. In the year 1909 the firm of Ritter & Deutsch was incorporated under the name of Ritter & Deutsch Co., with the following officers: Frank Ritter, president; Edward C. Langenhahn, vice president; Roman C. Deutsch, secretary and treasurer; and Frederick M. Deutsch general manager. In addition to his interests mentioned, Mr. Deutsch is secretary and treasurer of the Scharbau Land, Lumber and Mining Company, and is a member of its directing board.

On April 27, 1887, Mr. Deutsch was married to Miss Catherine Klein, of Marathon City, Wis., and they have five children: Roman C., who is secretary and treasurer of the Ritter & Deutsch Company; Elenor, who is a music teacher; Leah, who is a senior student in the University of Wisconsin and is a graduate of the Cumnock School of Expression and Oratory, at Evanston, Ill.; Esther, who is a member in the senior class in the Wausau High School; and Frederick, Jr. Mr. Deutsch and family belong to the Roman Catholic church. He is identified with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, the Catholic Order of Foresters, the Elks and the Eagles.


Diemer, Theophil Eugene (1930)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Thursday, 26 June 1930

* Theophil Eugene Diemer, pastor of Zion Lutheran Church, Stratford, was born April 11, 1891, at Woodville, Wisconsin, the son of the Reverend and Mrs. George Diemer. They moved six weeks later to Brownton, Minnesota, where they have since resided. He was educated in the parochial school at Brownton, under the tutelage of his father, and was confirmed at the age of 14. He completed the eighth grade in the public school at Winthrop, Minnesota, where he also took up one year high school work before entering St. Paul Luther College in 1907. After completing the college course, he took up a course in the theological seminary of the same school, and graduated in 1914. He was ordained April 19th of the same year, by his father, in St. Matthew Evangelical Church at Brownton, and left shortly afterward to take charge of the Stratford congregation, where he has since been stationed.

He was married August 27, 1914, to Miss Elizabeth Schmalz, daughter of the late Reverend Carl Schmalz of the town of Wien, who died a number of years ago. Mrs. Schmalz now resides at Wausau. The Reverend and Mrs. Diemer have four children: Roland, Ethel, Carl and Lothar.

Politically, he is a progressive Republican. His hobby is the study of science.


Dimond, John (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 574

* JOHN DIMOND, merchant, Spencer, was born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., July 2, 1843. He went to Iowa in 1868, and engaged in bridging for the Northern Iowa Railroad. In 1873, he began the manufacture of mattresses and upholstering furniture in Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County. He then went to Yankton, Dak., prospecting, but came back, and located in Spencer, in 1875. He established himself in business at first with his brother, but after six months took full charge of the store. In 1875, he married Miss Jennie Murphy. They have two children, Catherine, five years old, and Daniel J., three years old. Mr. Dimond has served as Town Treasurer and Supervisor.


Doherty, David C. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 683-684

DAVID C. DOHERTY, one of the enterprising young business men of Mosinee, Wis., owner and proprietor of The C. O. D. general store. has been very successful in his undertakings notwithstanding early disadvantages, being left an orphan in childhood and from youth being entirely dependent upon his own efforts. He was born at Boston, Mass., November 23, 1880, and was six years old when he was taken to rear by Joseph Herriges and wife, with whom he remained until the death of Mr. Herriges, in 1896, and two years longer with Mrs. Herriges. He obtained his education in the public schools and began his business life as one of the delivery men for C. A. Gardner, with whom he remained for twelve years, and was continuously connected with mercantile life until 1907, when he found himself prepared to embark in the same for himself. In 1910 he erected his fine brick store building with dimensions of 40 x 5o feet, with warehouse of 16 x 32 feet, and carries a very large stock of well selected merchandise.

On November 27, 1907, Mr. Doherty was married to Miss Mamie Werner, who was born in Marathon county, a daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth Werner, whose other children are: Lula, Nellie, Anna, Florence, Katherine, Mildred and Sylvester. Mr. and Mrs. Doherty have two children, Dorothy and Donald. The family belongs to the Catholic church. In politics Mr. Doherty is a Republican but has always been too much engaged in business to find time for any public office. He is a member of the Catholic Relief Association, the Beavers and the F. R. A.


Dolezal, Frank Michael (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Friday, 6 July 1928

Frank Michael Dolezal was born in Kelnersville, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, September 13, 1872. When ten years old his parents moved to Milladore, where he continued his educational training in a public school, the same as in Kelnersville, until 18 years old. He then came to this city to work in the Upham Factory, and held this job there about a year. During the next five years he worked in the South Dakota harvest fields one season, and in the logging woods three miles south of this city, near Athens, in the town of McMillan and at Sherry. Then he became an apprentice barber in Stanley, Wisconsin, and a year later he opened a shop of his own in this city. He has followed this occupation here since, excepting last winter, when he, his wife, and daughter spent the winter in Los Angeles, California.

His first shop was in the building at South Chestnut and First Street, owned by his parents many years; now the property of Fred Schreiner and Son, and occupied as a plumbing shop. He remained there about ten years, after which he moved into a building on the same lot erected for his shop. This structure was later moved to West Depot Street, and remodeled into a dwelling. After occupying it about six years, he leased quarters in his brother Adolph’s building, at 128 South Central Avenue, his business location since.

Mr. Dolezal was married to Miss Kate Miller of Spencer, at Hewitt, 32 years ago. They have two children: Mrs. Martin Mittermiller and Miss Viola Dolezal.

Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Eagles, the Equitable Fraternal Union and the Woodmen. He is a former secretary of the Equitable Fraternal Union Lodge and a former clerk of the Woodmen camp. For many years he served as a ballot clerk and inspector of the Second Ward election precinct. Politically, he is a Republican. His hobby is hunting and fishing.


Domer, Marvin E.
Source: Spencer Centennial Book (1874 - 1974) page 92

Pfc. Marvin E. Domer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. C. Domer, entered the service in June, 1944, and was with the HG & HG Det. 249th ORD, BN. He was sent overseas in December – landing in Italy. On October 3, 1945 he met with an unfortunate accident while driving a one-quarter ton jeep in northern Italy and passed away without regaining consciousness. He was placed in the Military Cemetery in Northern Italy, then on July 1, 1949, he was returned and laid to rest in St. John’s Cemetery in Riplinger, Wisconsin.


Draheim, Ferdinand Charles (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Tuesday, 11 Dec. 1928

Ferdinand Charles Draheim was born in the town of Eaton, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, October 27, 1868. He attended public school in the community of his birth. Until 17 years old he did farmwork for his grandparents, and followed the same line of work on a farm near Crookston, Minnesota, for one year. Next he worked in a brickyard at Salem, Oregon, for two years. Returning to Minnesota he resumed farmwork near Crookston. Two years later he embarked in farming for himself on a 160-acre tract of land near Crookston, locating there for nine years. Some of that time was spent in operating threshing machines. Most of that time he had renters on his farm. Selling the farm and threshing equipment, he bought a farm in Manitowoc County, and operated it for seven years. He then sold and bought again, this time acquiring an eighty in the town of McMillan, 21 years ago. This farm is on Highway 97, about four miles northeast of the city. He lived there 13 years, then made another sale and bought a 40-acre farm on the same highway, one mile closer to the city, which has since been his place of residence.

Mr. Draheim was married to Miss Bertha Luchterhand of the town of McMillan, December 14, 1898, in St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, McMillan. Three of his four children are living: Sarah, Esther and Wilmer.

He is a member of the McMillan Local of the American Society of Equity. Politically, he is a Republican. His hobbies are fishing and hunting.


Drewsen, Henry (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 559

* HENRY DREWSEN, saloon, Wausau, was born in Germany, Jan. 23, 1829. He settled at Two Rivers in 1856, where he lived twelve years, following the lumber business, after which he went to Manitowoc, and kept hotel until 1880, when he came to Wausau, and began his present business. He was married, in New York City, in 1854, to Dora Thea, who was born in Germany, Jan. 29, 1832. They have eight children – Tony, Charles A., Amelia E., Theckla, Lewis, Delia, Lula and George. His wife died June 24, 1880.


Driscoll, James & Henrietta (Spencer Pioneers)
Source: Spencer Centennial Booklet (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) 1874 – 1974, page 8

After their marriage, James and Henrietta (Hayward) Driscoll settled on a farm a mile south of town on Highway 13, later known as the Hoftiezer farm. They later moved to town, living in a house located on Pacific Street in the area of the A. Boock residence. Here, on September 27, 1876, their son, Lawrence, was born. Lawrence lived here all of his life with the exception of four years when, as a teenager, he resided at Rib Lake. He married Mae Andrews and later became a co-owner of the Driscoll, Colby, and Andrews mill with his brothers-in-law, Bert Andrews and Charles Colby. He was our first rural mail carrier on Route 1.


Duffy, Michael (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 559

* MICHAEL DUFFY, groceries, provisions, liquors, etc., came to Wisconsin in April, 1866, and, at first, worked at the carpenter trade; afterward ran a stage between Wausau and Stevens Point, for one and one-half years. Then he opened in the grocery business and followed it until 1875, when he engaged in lumbering. In 1878 he returned to his present business, and has followed it since. He was city Alderman for two years. He was born in Seneca County, New York, Nov. 1, 1833. He was married at Wausau, Jan. 20, 1861, to Paulina A. Kopplin, who was born July 4, 1840. They have ten children living – Mary J., Anna, Charles T., Paulina, Henry, Frank M., Edward, Laura, Mabel and Florence. They lost one son, Robert J.


Dumas, Leon Joseph (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Monday, 9 Apr. 1928

Leon Joseph Dumas was born in Winneconne, Winnebago County, Wisconsin, April 6, 1895. When he was two years old his parents moved to this city. He received his education in the public schools. At the age of 15, he entered the employ of the Lang and Sharmann Company to learn the molding trade. A few years later he accepted a job in the D. J. Murray Foundry in Wausau, where he remained two years. He next worked at his trade in Minneapolis about six months, and then re-entered the employ of the Long and Sharmann Company, 25 years ago as foreman, where he still remains.

Mr. Dumas was married to Miss Lydia Casper of Marshfield, at Spencer, July 14, 1902. They have four children: Mrs. John Lukowicz and Miss Isabelle Dumas, Antigo; Edward and Bettie Dumas of Marshfield. It is of interest to note that Mr. Dumas became a grandfather when 35 years old.

He is a member of the Marshfield Aerie of Eagles. During the war he was a member of the Home Guards. Politically, he is Independent. His hobbies are trout fishing and duck hunting.


Dunbar, Charles F. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 559

* CHARLES F. DUNBAR, jeweler and lumber manufacturer, Wausau, was born in Belchertown, Mass., Oct. 8, 1845, and learned the jeweler’s trade in Amherst, Mass. He came to Wisconsin in 1867, locating in Hudson in 1868, engaging in jewelry business there until 1872, when he removed to Menasha, carrying on the same business there for two years. In March, 1874, he came to Wausau, and, besides his jewelry business, is considerably interested in real estate, having purchased a forty-acre tract of land – the northeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 26, Town 29, Range 7, East, which he has recently platted and divided into city lots, and has already (June, 1881) sold thirty-six lots. He has been in the lumber business for about three years. He is a member of the firm of Dana, Dunbar & Co., manufacturers of “The National Portable Forge,” and is one-half owner of the Marathon Lumber Co., manufacturers of pine lumber, shingles, lath, pickets, etc,; he owns considerable tracts of pine lands. Mr. Dunbar was married in Wausau, Nov. 20, 1876, to Letitia Single, who was born in Wausau. They have two children, Mary Elizabeth, born March 31, 1881, and Roy Earl, born Dec. 25, 1877, and died June 16, 1881.

 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.