Biographies
Marathon County Wisconsin - W Surnames

*
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman (unless otherwise noted) -- Back To Biographies Index
History -- Births -- Marriages -- Obits ---- Wood County Wisconsin Biographies 


Wadinski, Leo
Source: Cassel Centennial Booklet (1891 – 1991) Page 35

LEO WADINSKI, former Chairman, Treasurer and School Board member of Town of Cassel also served on the Marathon County Board of supervisors, County Park Board, Sanitation Board, Chairman of County Soil Conservation and also director of the Stettin Fire Insurance.

He was always kind and considerate of others, gave generously of his time to the community and public offices.


Wadzinski, Frank
Source: Cassel Centennial Booklet (1891 – 1991) Page 35

FRANK WADZINSKI, a life long resident of the Town of Cassel and a former supervisor for the town died in a local hospital September 23, 1956.

He was born in this township December 3, 1876 and was married to Mrs. Jennie Marzynski June 30, 1903. They observed their golden wedding anniversary in June 1953. Mrs. Wadzinski died May 13, 1955. He is survived by eight sons and six daughters.

Frank Wadzinski as a young man, farmed and worked as a stone mason. He served as a supervisor in the Town of Cassel and was very active in the public life of this community. With hard work he weathered the hardships and struggles of his undertakings. He was generous and unselfish and his name will long linger in the memories of his many friends and associates.


Wagner, A. C. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 694

A. C.WAGNER, postmaster at Edgar, Wis., and a member of the furniture and undertaking firm of C. Wagner & Son, was born at Chicago, Ill., June 5, 1874, and is a son of C. and Amelia Wagner, the latter of whom died when her son was one month old.

A. C. Wagner was educated first at New Holstein and completed his public school course in the High School at Kiel, Wis., after which he was a clerk in the general mercantile store of Heins Bros. for seven years and in 1897 came to Edgar to embark in the furniture and undertaking business. Later he was joined by his father, C. Wagner, and the firm name has been C. Wagner & Son ever since. The firm carries furniture, wall paper, carpets, curtains, pianos, organs, sewing machines, trunks and children's carriages. Mr. Wagner also writes insurance for the New York Underwriters, the St. Paul Fire and Marine, and the National, Hanover and Queen Companies. He is interested with his brother, Arthur Wagner, in a general store at Norrie, Wis., and additionally is a stockholder in the Edgar Bank, in the Edgar Telephone Company and also the Marathon County Telephone Company. Mr. Wagner is a licensed embalmer and covers all the home territory and a radius of twenty-five miles. In politics a Republican he has been postmaster at Edgar since May, 1901, succeeding C. C. Barrett, and since then the office has been transferred from the fourth to the third class and four mail routes have been established. When Mr. Wagner took charge there were but two daily mails while now there are five outgoing and four incoming mails, all being handled between 8 A. M. and 8 P. M. The business transacted at Edgar is probably the largest post office business of any part of the county outside the county seat, the records showing that the gross business done in the year ending December 31, 1912, amounted to $2,841.35. In every way Mr. Wagner has given satisfaction as an official. Mr. Wagner married Miss Mary Homne, who was born at Wittenberg, Shawano county, Wis., and they have three children: Edgar, Ruth and Dorathea. Mr. Wagner is second vice president of the Wisconsin Postmasters' Association.


Wagner, Joseph (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 835-836

JOSEPH WAGNER, whose horseshoeing shop is situated at No 308 Second street, Wausau, is well known in this business, having devoted much of his business life to this line although giving some attention to his farming interests in the town of Marathon. He was born at Marathon City, Marathon county, Wisconsin, April 12, 1874, and is a son of Henry and Katherine Wagner, the latter of whom survives. The father, who was a carpenter by trade and for many years a resident of Marathon county, died in 1889.

Joseph Wagner attended school at Marathon City and then learned his trade and after working at the same there for three years, came to Wausau, in 1894, and from 1897 until 1907 conducted his own shop here. He then located on his farm of 130 acres, situated in the town of Marathon and after selling the same came back to Wausau and since February 15, 1912, has occupied his present stand. He is widely known and his shop is usually the scene of much activity.

Mr. Wagner married Miss Bertha Schulze, who was born in California, and is a sister of E. E. Schulze, of Wausau. They have four children: Helen, Ernest, Norma and Margaret.


Wagner, Mathew (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 909-910

MATHEW WAGNER, who is one of the substantial and representative men of the town of Cassel, of which he has been supervisor for the last four years, resides in section 14, where he owns 120 acres of valuable land, situated three miles southwest of Marathon City. He was born in Dodge county, Wis., December 25, 1867, and is a son of John M. and Catherine Wagner, the former of whom lives on the above mentioned farm. The mother of Mr. Wagner was born in Germany in 1826 and came to America in 1864 and in December of that year was married to John M. Wagner, at Chicago, Ill., after which they moved to Dodge county, Wis. She died December 31, 1911, at the age of eighty-six and her burial was in the Catholic cemetery at Marathon City.

Mathew Wagner has three brothers: John, who has been a widower some eight years and has three children, follows the trade of scaling and working in the woods, and makes his home in the town of Cassel; Peter, who lives in Edgar and also follows lumber scaling and works in the mills, is married and has six children; and Nick, who lives in Canada, is a thresher.

Mathew Wagner attended the public schools until about twelve years of age when the family came to Marathon county and since then his activities have been farming, threshing and work in the woods. For twenty-three years he followed threshing during the season, worked at lumbering and in saw mills in the winter time and on farms as opportunity offered. During the last three winters he has been engaged in log scaling, for two years being with the Wausau Lumber Company at Rib Falls and one year at Marathon City for Philip Menzner. He carries on general farming on his seventy acres of cleared land, the rest being in timber. Mr. Wagner is considered a man of excellent judgment in the management of his own affairs and as reliable and trustworthy as a public official. He has been a Democrat in politics since he cast his first vote.

Mr. Wagner was married to Miss Mary J. Kohler, who was born in Elmore, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, June 4, 1866, a daughter of Joseph Kohler and his first wife, the latter of whom was born in Switzerland, was married in Germany, where Mr. Kohler was born. They came to America in the year 1865 and settled in Fond du Lac county, Wis. They had three children: Mary, Annie and Joseph. The mother of Mrs. Wagner died when she was nine years old and afterward the father married Catherine Kastel, who was also born in Germany, and they had the following children: Katie, who married a Mr. Imhoff; Maggie, who is the wife of Anton Vebelacker; Susanna, who is the wife of William Kutchenreter; Grace, who is the wife of August Kutchenreter, and Rose, who is the wife of Herman Kutchenreter. The mother of the above children died in her forty-third year and her burial was in St. Mary's cemetery. The father was a wagonmaker by trade but later became a farmer and a pioneer in the town of Cassel, Marathon county, where he died, November 23, 1912, when aged seventy-three years. Mrs. Wagner attended the public and parochial schools at Elmore and New Castle, Wis., and was twelve years old when her parents came to Marathon county. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner have the following children: Raymond P., Gertrude K., Andrew N., Thaddeus J., Mathew J., and Robert W. The family belongs to St. Mary's Catholic church, and Mr. Wagner belongs to the St. Leo Court, No. 795, Catholic Order of Foresters, and Germania Lodge, No. 44. He served efficiently as supervisor in 1899.


Walker, William W. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 727

WILLIAM W. WALKER, proprietor of the Wausau Monumental Works at No. 1204 Grand avenue, Wausau, is a thoroughly experienced man in his line, in which he has been a continuous worker since he was sixteen years of age. He was born in 1862, at Belfast, Maine, but was reared at Brookville. His father, R. P. Walker, was a granite cutter and did contracting for many years all along the Atlantic coast and did much of the granite work on the great East River bridge. Under his father William, W. Walker learned his trade and before coming westward, worked all over New England and in other sections. In 1887 he reached St. Cloud, Minn., where he worked for some time at his trade and then visited other points and was employed in the construction of the Auditorium hotel and theater, one of the notable buildings of Chicago, and was so engaged from its beginning until its completion. The Wausau Monumental Works were started here by Edward Smith, from whom Mr. Walker bought first a half interest and afterward the other half and has been proprietor for six years. He employs two men as granite cutters and his plant is equipped with the proper machinery to do all kinds of monumental and granite work.

Mr. Walker married Miss Annette Morrow and they have two children: Isabelle and J. Gordon. Mr. Walker is not active in politics, being more interested in business, and he is fraternally identified with the Masons, Odd Fellows and the Beavers.


Wallace, Robert G. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 571

* ROBERT G. WALLACE, of the firm of Wallace & Redford, saw mill, was born in Belfast, Ireland, Oct. 24, 1839. His mill was erected in the Summer of 1871. The capacity is about 24,000 in one day, and after cutting lumber they manufacture usually about 40,000 shingles per day, employing about twenty-four men. He came to Stevens Point, April, 1862, and was there a short time, when he settled in his present place of business, thirteen and one-half miles north of Stevens Point, and three miles east of Hutchinson, township Eau Pleine. He has made lumbering his principal business since settling there. He was married at Stevens Point, April 22, 1871, to Ann E. Whitney, who was born in Miramichi, N. B., Sept. 19, 1846. They have five children — Sarah J., born March 13, 1873; Alexander Y., born Aug. 29, 1874; George W., born March 17, 1876; John H., born April 22, 1878; Ann G., born Dec. 17, 1879. Their first child, Robert G., was born Jan. 25, 1872, and died July 22, of the same year.


Walter Mr. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 574

* KUETHE & WALTER, brewers, Spencer. Mr. Kuethe was born in Verstenstund Waldeck, Germany, Oct. 24, 1844. Came to Wisconsin in 1868, first to Appleton, then to Menasha, making wagons and keeping saloon. He then came here and opened the brewery. In 1872 he married Miss Augusta Friska, of Germany. They have six children — Amelia, Bertha, Emma, Frederick, Matilda and Ameil. Mr. Kuethe belongs to the Lutheran Church, and was a member of the I. O. O. F., the Concordia, the Turners, and Schulzen. His partner, John Walter, is from Guttenburg, Germany. Born in 1853, Aug. 19. Came here from Milwaukee, where he was working in a brewery. In 1876, he married Miss Lena Loetcher, of Wisconsin. He belongs to the Lutheran Church. The brewery was established by Kuethe, in 1879, and the firm organized in 1881. They manufacture about eight hundred barrels a year.


Warren, Clyde L. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 652-655

HON. CLYDE L. WARREN, judge of the Probate Court of Marathon county, came first to Wausau in 1899, at that time entering upon the practice of law, and his entire professional career, both at the bar and on the bench, has been of such a character as to make those with whom he has been thus associated pay him freely the tribute that he has earned so honorably. He was born at Green Bay, Wis., in 1871, and is a son of Albert and Vesta O. (Beach) Warren.

Albert Warren was born in Ross county, O., and when he came first to Wisconsin, about 1864, settled at Mayville, but has been a resident of Green Bay for the past forty years. He married Vesta O. Beach, who was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, and four sons were born to them: Clyde L.; A. M., who with his next younger brother, F. B., lives at Los Angeles, Cal.; and E. B., who is an attorney and also is engaged in the insurance business at Green Bay.

Clyde L. Warren was educated in the public schools and the university of Wisconsin, graduating from this institution in the class of 1895 and in 1897 graduating in the department of law from Northwestern University. He then engaged in an individual law practice at Wausau for two years and then entered into partnership with Mr. Manson, under the style of Manson & Warren. For two years he was assistant district attorney, and in the spring of 1909 was elected county judge, assuming the duties of the office on January 1, 1910. Judge Warren is a valued member of the Marathon County Bar Association and of the Criminology Association. In his political attitude is found those tendencies which make many men waver in party allegiance, feeling that the time has come for personalities to be placed before party policies.

Judge Warren was married October 22, 1901, to Miss Mabel E. Carr, daughter of William Carr, of Sioux Falls, S. Dak. Three sons and one daughter have been born to them: Edgar, Harold, Seiger, and Ada. While in college Judge Warren was a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity and still preserves this connection. He belongs also to the Masons and the Odd Fellows and additionally the Wausau Country Club.


Wartmann, Fred (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 568

* FRED WARTMANN, Wausau, was born in Prussia, Oct. 9, 1836, and came to America in the Fall of 1855. He was in Cleveland, Ohio, about eight months; in Illinois four months, and then came to Wausau and worked in saw and flouring mills for six or eight years; he was then engaged in hauling freight from Wausau to Berlin and vicinity for eight years; since 1872, has been in the butcher business. Mr. Wartmann was married in Wausau twenty-three years ago to Augusta Hartel, a native of Germany. They have eight children — Lizzie, Anna, Carl, Lena, Bertha, Augusta, Emma and Louis.


Weber, Charles (1930)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Wednesday, 18 June 1930

Charles Weber was born July 18, 1902, in the town of McMillan, where he has since made his home. He attended St. Peter’s Lutheran Day School until he was 14 years of age, and assisted with farm work on the home place until he was 21, when he took possession of the 40-acre farm on which he now resides. He specializes in Guernsey cattle, Chester White swine and Brown Leghorn chickens.

He was married December 7, 1927, to Miss Emma Zimmerling, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Zimmerling, by the Reverend Walter Gutzke, pastor of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church. Politically, he is a Republican. His hobbies are motoring and playing schmier.


Weber, William (1923)
Source: History of Wood County, Wisconsin (1923) compiled by George O. Jones, pages 482-483

William Welter, formerly for many years engaged in the sawmill and lumber business, but now living practically retired in Marshfield, was born on a farm in Luxembourg, Europe, Dec. 5, 1868, son of Nicholas and Susannah (Bonifas) Welter. The parents never came to America. There were four children in the family: William, of Marshfield, and Richard, Annaret and Margaret, who are all three deceased. The mother, Mrs. Susannah Welter, died in 1882 and Mr. Welter in 1892. William Welter attended common school in Germanv until he was 14. He remained on the home farm until the spring of 1887, when he came to America, settling in Marathon County, Wisconsin, where he had relatives. There he found employment in the sawmill of Linster Bros. of Riverside, with whom he remained for eight years. In 1895, with Henry Linster, he built a sawmill at Riverside with a capacity of 2,000,000 feet per annum, and it was operated until 1903 under the firm name of Linster & Welter. They owned their own timber land, logged it off themselves and sawed some of it at their own mill. In 1903 Mr. Welter bought his partner's interest and subsequently operated the business as sole proprietor until 1919, when the timber having become exhausted, he sold the property to McGuire Bros. In 1918 he bought a two-story business block at No. 327 North Central Avenue, Marshfield, the upper part of which he now occupies as a residence, renting out the lower part for commercial purposes. He has been a successful business man, having accumulated a competency. He is a director of the Marshfield State Bank and also has some outside business interests, and as a resident of the city is well known and respected. Mr. Welter was married May 26, 1903, to Mrs. Annie Nelson, a widow with five children. She was born in Saxony, Germany, April 2, 1869, and accompanied her parents to the United States as a babe in 1870. They settled at Dundas, Calumet County, Wis., but in 1878 moved to Marathon County. The children by her first husband, Charlie Nelson, were: Joseph D., born April 1, 1891; August J., born July 10, 1893; Mary C., born Jan. 16, 1895, now Mrs. Adolph Zettler of Marshfield; Frank W., born Oct. 8, 1896 , and Patrick R., born April 5, 1898. Two of these step-sons of Mr. Welter, Frank W. and Patrick R., served in the World War. Frank W. enlisted July 22, 1917, at Marshfield as a private in Company B, 16th Infantry. He trained first at Camp Douglas, was sent thence to Camp McArthur at Waco, Texas, and went overseas with the 32d Division in February, 1918. He landed at Brest, went thence to Cuney and from there to Gondrecourt, where he was transferred to the first division. On April 18, 1918 he went into action at Toul and was in and out of the trenches up to July 18, when he entered into the Soissons drive. In this drive he was wounded by a machine-gun bullet and was sent to the base hospital. After three weeks he was able to return to his division. Sept. 12, to 15 he was at St. Mihiel with a maneuvering troop, and from Nov. 1 to Nov. 11 (Armistice Day) he was in the Argonne and at Sedan. After that he saw service with the army of occupation at Coblenz. He reached the United States on his return home Aug. 5, 1919, and was sent to Camp Grant, Ill, where he was discharged Sept. 27, and returned to his home in Marshfield. The other step-son, Patrick R. Nelson, at the age of 17 enlisted in the United States navy and subsequently served three years in the Phillipines aboard the U. S. S. Maryland. He was in the mechanical department and served a part of the time as assistant engineer. At the end of his period of service he returned to San Francisco and was discharged, but at once reenlisted for World War service and was detailed to the coast service as aviator with a hydroplane corps. He served until the end of the war and is now in San Diego, Calif. Mr. Welter and his family are members of St. John's (Catholic) parish.


Weed, Henry R. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 571

* HENRY R. WEED, lumberman, Knowlton, was born in Illinois, May 5, 1848. He came with his parents and settled at Bean's Eddy, three miles north of Knowlton, on the Wisconsin River, in 1856. He began work on his own account at the age of eighteen years, working in a saw mill by the month, and running a mill by the thousand until l869. Then he began his present vocation. He was married July, 1869, to Ricky Pickard, who was born in Germany. They have one daughter, Carrie L.


Wegner, Charles H. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 862-863

CHARLES H. WEGNER, general merchant, who has been a resident of Wausau, Wis., for twenty-nine years and established here in his own business for almost a quarter of a century, is one of the city's reliable, substantial and truly representative men. He was born in Germany, January 28, 1863, and the first twenty years of his life were spent in his native land and his education was secured in the German schools.

Charles H. Wegner decided very early in life to become a merchant and in early manhood decided that the United States could offer better opportunities than were to be found in his native neighborhood, and after landing at the port of New York, came immediately to Wausau, Wis., where already many of his countrymen had settled. He very soon secured employment as a clerk in stores and served in that capacity, in the meanwhile learning the English language and the important details of merchandising, until 1888 when he embarked in business for himself, opening up in what was known as the old Kickbush Block, on the corner of First and Scott streets and has occupied this site ever since, now owning his fine brick structure which includes Nos. 502-504 First street. He carries one of the largest as well as most carefully selected stocks in the city, covering many commodities: dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, china and crockery, together with flour and feed.

His present enormous business has been built up on a foundation of honesty and he has customers who have dealt with him from the beginning. His place is the trading headquarters for a very large percentage of the farmers, campers and loggers in the surrounding country, his long experience enabling him to provide just the goods these patrons want, while his honorable business methods are well known to them and their confidence in his integrity is unquestioned.

On April 23, 1889, Mr. Wegner was married to Miss Emma Kickbush, a daughter of the late Hon. F. W. Kickbush, who was once consul from the United States to Germany.


Wehrley, Alfred (Life Sentence – 1916)
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 13 Jan. 1916

Give a Life Sentence
* The trial of Alfred Wehrley, for the murder of his father, which occurred in Wausau, on the morning of August 19th, 1915, came to a sudden close last Thursday forenoon, when, acting upon the advice of his attorney, he changed his plea of “not guilty” to that of “guilty.” Judge B. B. Park of Stevens Point, who was sitting for Judge A. H. Reid, sentenced the young man to serve the remainder of his life in the state prison at Waupun.


Weinfeld, Charles (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 949

CHARLES WEINFELD, general agent for northern Wisconsin of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company of Milwaukee, Wis., with offices in the Weinfeld Building on Third street, Wausau, is interested also in the land business and is president of the Wausau Mississippi Timber Company. He was born at Sherwood, Wis., April 4, 1872.

After graduating from the high school at Appleton, Wis., Mr. Weinfeld came to Wausau and started a small news stand, but afterward entered the clothing business, which he subsequently sold when he became interested in land and this interest he has continued as above mentioned. In 1897 he entered first into the life insurance business. In 1911 he was appointed general agent for the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Milwaukee, Wis., with which he has mainly been identified since embarking in this line of business. For four years - 1909, 1910, 1911 and 1912 – he led in the United States with the Northwestern Mutual Life, being ahead of every other company, both in total amount of business and also in number of policies. In 1912 he wrote 240 separate policies aggregating a vast amount, averaging $4,400 to each policy. Mr. Weinfeld has invested largely, at Wausau and in 1897 erected the handsome pressed brick Weinfeld Building, located at Nos. 307-309 Third street. He is an active citizen where public interests are concerned and is numbered with the representative men here.

On June 14, 1909, Mr. Weinfeld was married to Miss Johanna Stern, of Chicago, Ill. He has long been prominent in the Elks and for three consecutive terms served as exalted ruler of Wausau Lodge, No. 248, B. P. O. E.


Weinfurtner, Frank Francis (1929)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Wednesday, 10 Apr. 1929

For faithfulness to employer, Frank Francis Weinfurtner holds a rare record. He has been with the Roddis Lumber and Veneer Company the past 28 years, during which time he advanced to his present position from the work of a waste hauler. Mr. Weinfurtner, son of Michael Weinfurtner, Marshfield, was born in Milwaukee, November 24, 1883, and came to this city with his parents when he was eight years old. Nine years later the family moved to a farm in the town of McMillan, three miles north of the city, where his father farmed until 15 years ago, when he returned to this city to live in retirement.

His education was received in St. John’s Catholic School in this city. Leaving school at the age of 12, he entered the employ of the Roddis Company. After working as a waste hauler six months, he served as a puller of sheets from veneer cutting machines two years, as a veneer clipper five years, and as a panels and tops trimmer four years, following which he received a promotion to the foremanship of the center department. A year later he was assigned to the head of the finishing department, which position he held about 15 years. Two years ago, he was advanced to his present position.

He was married to Miss Philippina Schunk of McMillan, by Father John Eisen in St. John’s Catholic Church, November 29, 1905. Their children are: John 21, Frank Jr. 19, Robert 11 and Reuben 9. Mrs. Weinfurtner is a daughter of Mrs. Christ Schunk.

Fraternally, he is identified with St. John’s Court, Catholic Order of Foresters; Branch No. 74, Catholic Knights of Wisconsin; and the Eagles. At the factory he is affiliated with the Roddis Foreman’s Club. He is prominent as a director of the Seehafer Corners Cheese Factory, to which he served the factory as secretary ten years. Politically, he is a Republican. His hobbies are reading and motoring.


Weinkauf, Edward G. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 851

EDWARD G. WEINKAUF, president and treasurer of the Weinkauf Bros. Clothing and Furnishing Company, at Wausau, is one of the city's enterprising and substantial business men. He was born in 1868, in the town of Texas, Marathon county, Wis., six miles from Wausau, and is a son of Carl and Augusta Weinkauf. The parents of Mr. Weinkauf were born, reared and married in Germany and from there came to the United States and to Wisconsin in 1866, settling on a farm in the town of Texas, Marathon county. The father at first engaged in farming and then bought a saw mill. Both parents survive and reside at Edgar, in Marathon county.

Edward G. Weinkauf was reared on the home farm and worked for several years as a logger. He was twenty-five years old when he came to Wausau and entered the employ of his uncle, John Patzer, who conducted a saloon adjoining the Ritter & Deutsch Building. Later Mr. Weinkauf bought his uncle's interests and conducted the saloon until 1909 when he went into his present business, which is an incorporated concern, well managed and amply financed. Just prior to coming to Wausau, Mr. Weinkauf was married to Miss Minnie Volkman, and they have two children, Arnold and Anesta, both of whom attend the Wausau High School.


Weinke, Julius (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 951-952

JULIUS WEINKE, a well known and highly respected citizen of the town of Stettin, a prosperous farmer owning 160 acres of valuable land lying in sections 28, 29 and 33, lives four miles northeast of Marathon City.

He was born in Germany, March 8, 1852, and is a son of Fred and Anstein (Fritz) Weinke. When sixteen years of age he accompanied his father, brother and two sisters to America, his mother dying in Germany when aged forty years. The father brought his family to Marathon county, Wis., and secured eighty acres of land in section 29, all of which was then covered by heavy timber. He cut down the first tree ever felled here and to his first purchase later added forty acres more. After his active years were over he retired to the home of his son-in-law, William Buttke, and there passed away in his eighty-sixth year. He was a worthy member of the Lutheran church.

Julius Weinke knew only the German language when he came to Marathon county, but he soon acquired the English tongue by conversation with others. When he was twenty-five years of age he married Miss Augusta Erdmann, a native of Germany, and they settled in section 29, town of Stettin, on a farm of eighty acres, which he improved and afterward added to his possessions. He bought eighty and forty more acres in sections 28 and 29, and in 1901 bought eighty acres in sections 28 and 33 already improved and since 1902 has lived on his farm in section 33, where he has improved the buildings. He has been a lifelong democrat and has the confidence of his fellow citizens, who have often chosen him to serve in public office. He was town clerk three years and for seven years was chairman of the town board. He has been one of the charter members of the Stettin Mutual Fire Insurance Company. To Mr. and Mrs. Weinke the following children were born: William, a resident of Wausau, who married Elizabeth Zunker; Matilda, the wife of Carl Zunker, residing in the town of Stettin; Julius C., who manages his father's farm; Otto, who resides in Wausau; Edwin, who is in the blacksmith business at Little Chicago; Bernard, residing at home, and a daughter who died at the age of one year. The family belongs to the Lutheran church, of which Mr. Weinke has been a trustee for seventeen years, and over twenty years school district clerk in said town.


Weis, John (Pioneer Farmer)
Source: Spencer Centennial Booklet (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) 1874 – 1974,
page 14

John Weis came from Alhbach, Germany to Marshfield and in 1887 he came to the Jacob Boland farm located on County Trunk C in the Town of Spencer. A short time later he purchased the farm described as “80 Acres more or less according to the government survey.” John married Margaret Burggraf and years later their son, William, and wife Nellie, bought the farm which they operated until his death in 1949. The area of the original farm has been extended from time to time and now totals 500 acres and is operated as the Weis farms by two brothers, Vernal and Ray. Vernal and his family reside on the home site and Ray and their mother, Nellie, live across the road. They have a herd of 75 dairy cows and 75 head of young stock.


Weisbrod, Charles (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 849-850

CHARLES WEISBROD, a well known business man of Wausau, a member of the firm of Denfield & Weisbrod, painting contractors, with office at No. 307 Forest street, has been in the painting contracting line since 1891, at which time he formed his partnership with Henry Denfield. He was .born in Germany, August 3, 1865, and is a son of Henry and Annie Weisbrod, who came to Marathon county, Wis., in 1883, and now resides on their farm in the town of Hamburg.

Charles Weisbrod was sixteen years old when his parents moved to Wausau, coming directly from Germany, and when they moved on a farm two years later he remained at Wausau, having started to learn his present business and being interested in the same. Mr. Weisbrod and partner do a large business, giving employment to fifteen men during the busy season, and their trade is constantly on the increase as a result of honest work and promptness in completing contracts. Mr. Weisbrod married Miss Rosa Hirsch. They are members of the Catholic church. He belongs to the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin and to the Germania.


Weisbrod, William J. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 931

WILLIAM J. WEISBROD, who is serving in his third term as alderman, representing the First Ward, Wausau, is engaged in the painting contracting business, with residence and office at No. 801 Plumer street. He was born in Germany, March 16, 1873, and is a son of Henry and Annie (Hartman) Weisbrod, who came from Germany to the United States in 1883 and immediately located at Wausau, Wis. After three years in the city the father decided to become a farmer and moved to the town of Hamburg, where he and wife still live.

After coming to Wausau, William J. Weisbrod completed his education and then began to learn the painting trade, which interested him more than farming; hence he did not accompany his parents to the country, Wausau continuing to be his chosen home ever since, although, in attending to his business he has lived in other places, including Chicago and Milwaukee. He established his contracting business at Wausau in 1903 and gives employment to seven painters and decorators. From the age of eighteen years Mr. Weisbrod has been interested in politics and is a factor in Democratic circles and a very highly regarded citizen of the First Ward, which he is representing in his sixth year in the city council, being ever ready to work for the advancement of ward enterprises and ward people, while not forgetting his public responsibilities to the city as a whole.

In 1903 Mr. Weisbrod was married at Wausau to Miss Frances Odenweller, a daughter of Henry and Theresa (Appel) Odenweller, who were Germans who came to Wausau in 1883, before Mrs. Weisbrod was born. Mr. and Mrs. Weisbrod have three children: Henry, William and Edward. The family belongs to the Roman Catholic church. He is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters, the St. Joseph Society, the Beavers, the Eagles, and Bankers Life Insurance Co.


Weisenbeck, John (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Tuesday, 26 June 1928

John Weisenbeck was born in Waldenstein, Austria, 66 years ago, and secured his education there. In March 1901 he and his family immigrated to this country and settled on a farm near Pierce, Nebraska, where he resided until he came to the town of McMillan. He followed farming about ten years, up to the early part of this year. Then he rented the place to his son Frank and retired from regular occupation. His farm in Nebraska embraced 320 acres, while his McMillan farm consists of 240 acres. On May 22, last, he left for Austria to visit relatives and see the scenes of his birthplace. This is his first return to his native land since coming to this country. He expected to be gone about three months. He has a brother and sister, and his wife has two sisters and a brother in Austria. When a young man, he served as a member of the fire department in the community of his birth.

Mr. Weisenbeck was married to Theresa Prekersbaur, in Austria, about 38 years ago. They have the following children, Sister M. Humberta, Racine, Wisconsin; Frank, Weigelsdorf; Mrs. Oscar Weigel, Weigelsdorf; Mrs. Steve Weigel, town of McMillan; Sister M. Castina, Lombard, Illinois; and Miss Cecelia, at home.

Mr. Weisenbeck is an honorary member of St. Joseph’s Society. Politically, he is a Democrat. His hobbies are reading and playing with his grandchildren.


Welland, Samuel (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 572

* SAMUEL WELLAND, dealer in dry goods and groceries also, Postmaster. He came with his parents from New York City and settled in Knowlton, Wis., October, 1858. Mr. Samuel Welland was then fourteen years of age, and he remembers well the complete wilderness in which they had taken up their home. His father followed the business of bank note engraver, previous to going West. On his arrival he began the lumber business, building a saw-mill, and after his sons reached maturity they took charge of the business. The father was born in Woodstock, England, in 1805. He died July 4, 1871. Mr. Samuel Welland was born in Bellville, N. J. He was married at Wausau, Wis., in 1871. His wife's maiden name was Eveline J. Humphrey; she was born in Eldred, Pa., November, 1850. They have six children, whose names are — Thomas H., Maryette, Joseph, Margarette, Alicia, Coral Welland.


Wendorff, Albert (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 845-846

ALBERT WENDORFF, a well known resident and highly regarded citizen of the town of Stettin, where he owns 120 acres of land situated in sections 16 and 15, residing on the latter, six and one-half miles northeast of Marathon City, was born in Germany, October 19, 1844. He is a son of Gottlieb and Louisa (Haasch) Wendorff, both of whom were born in Germany. They came to America with their three children and in 1857 settled on the farm now owned by Albert Wendorff. A forest then covered all this land and Gottlieb Wendorff made the first clearing and erected the first building here. Both he and wife died here, his age being eighty-eight years and three months and that of his wife, eighty-four years, and their burial was in the cemetery of the Lutheran church, to which religious body they belonged. He was a very successful gardener in his own land and after getting established on this farm built a greenhouse and conducted a market garden. Albert Wendorff was twelve years old when he was brought to America and his home has been on his present farm ever since. He was the youngest born of his parents' four children and is the only one living. During his summers he devotes his attention to his farm industries, having eighty acres cleared and has made all the improvements here, official duties of various kinds absorbing his time and attention in the winters which, in earlier years, he spent in logging camps. He has a small nursery and raises considerable fruit and also keeps bees profitably. He belongs to the progressive wing of the republican party and has frequently served acceptably in public offices. He was a member of the county board for two years, was assessor for nine years, then was census enumerator, for five years was assessor of the Stettin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and for twelve years was fire and game warden. He was the first president of the Berlin Mutual Fire and Lightning Insurance Company and assisted in making the bylaws and securing the charter. The present officials are: Albert Felhaber, president; Mr. Radlowf, secretary, and William Lemke, treasurer.

Mr. Wendorff married Miss Wilhelmine Grade, who was born in Germany, a daughter of August Grade, and they had the following children: H. A., who is clerk of the town of Stettin; Edward, who was census taker and also formerly town supervisor, married Otilie Lodholz; Lizzie, who is the wife of Gustave Kopplin; Emma, who is the wife of John R. Loy, and they live in Oregon; Bertha, who is the wife of Gustave Boerner, of the town of Stettin; Otto, who died at the age of eighteen years; Albert, who died when a babe; and an infant that also passed away. Mr. Wendorff and family are members of the Lutheran church.


Wendorff, Herman A. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 875-876

HERMAN A. WENDORFF, who has acceptably filled the office of town clerk of the town of Stettin since 1897 and owns a fine farm of 160 acres, situated in section 16, six miles northeast of Marathon City, was born in the town of Stettin, Marathon county, Wis., July 1, 1869, and is a son of Albert and Wilhelmina (Grade) Wendorff. Albert Wendorff and wife were born and went to school in Germany but came to America unmarried, their wedding taking place in the United States, and they had four sons and four daughters born to them, four of these being residents of Marathon county.

Herman A. Wendorff attended the public schools in the town of Stettin and also the Wausau city schools for a few terms and thus prepared himself for teaching school. He taught six terms in the town of Stettin, two terms in Rib Falls and two terms in the town of Berlinand fulfilled every expectation as a teacher. During this period he was looking to the future and purchased first a tract of forty acres, for which he paid $1,000, and subsequently an eighty-acre tract, paying $2,000 for this land, all in one body. As soon as he owned his land he began to desire to improve it and remodeling of the buildings and erecting of new ones followed until both his ideas of taste and his demands for convenience were satisfied and comfort assured. He carries on general farming and raises high grade Guernsey cattle, keeping twenty-five head. Mr. Wendorff has always been a wideawake, industrious, enterprising man of business and has so directed his life and affairs that he has won the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens. He is a republican in politics and for several years has been serving as health officer, and has served in other capacities such as justice of the peace and has also been the official crop reporter. He is a member of the Stettin Insurance Company.

Mr. Wendorff was married April 22, 1896, to Miss Emelia Lodholz, who was born in the town of Stettin, March 2, 1875, a daughter of George and Minnie (Judes) Lodholz. Both parents of Mrs. Wendorff were born in Germany but they were married in America and they had nine children, eight of whom are living and seven of these reside in Marathon county. Mr. and Mrs. Lodholz are both deceased, the latter dying when aged fifty-three years and the former when aged seventy-two years and their burial was in the town of Stettin. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wendorff: Hugo, Martha, Alice and Susan, all of whom are being carefully reared and given every possible advantage. The family belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran church, of which Mr. Wendorff is secretary. He has always been musically inclined and is president of the local German Singing Society, "Eintracht."


Wenzel, Anton
Source: Cassel Centennial Booklet (1891 – 1991) Page 36

ANTON WENZEL, a special tribute is given to Anton Wenzel for his many years of dedicated service to the town.

He served in the capacity of town Clerk, School Clerk, Justice of the Peace, and held the office of town Treasurer for 31 years. He also was a trustee of the Edgar Co-op and a member of the ASC Board. He was always willing to share his time and talents wherever they were needed.

A life long area resident, Mr. Wenzel farmed until his retirement in 1962. he died on April 25, 1981, at the age of 84.


Werheim, George (1881 and 1913)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 568

* GEORGE WERHEIM, proprietor of planing mill and sash, blind and door factory, Wausau, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Jan. 6, 1834, and came to America in 1852, living in New York City about one year and a half; then in Chicago until 1856, when he came to Wisconsin and engaged in business as a carpenter and builder until 1872; when he built a planing mill with F. W. Kickbusch, continuing with him until the Fall of 1880. In the Spring of 1881, he built his present planing mill, employs about forty men and manufactures sash, doors, blinds and molddings. Mr. Werheim has been City Marshal, Under Sheriff, Alderman and Village Trustee. He is City Treasurer and has held that position for four terms. He was married in Chicago, in June, 1855, to Theresa Meyer, who died in August, 1877, leaving five children — Emma, Theresa, Philip, Mary and George. He was married in December, 1877, to his present wife, Elizabeth Paulus, who was born in Prussia. They have two children — Mallie and Louis. Mr. Werheim is a member of the A. O. U. W., and Sons of Hermann.

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 234-235  

  
George Werheim in another of the sturdy race of the pioneers of Marathon county. He was born in Hesse-Darmstadt. January 6, 1834, and received his education in the common schools of that little country, which had probably the best school system at that time in all Germany. He emigrated to the United States in 1852, worked in New York and Chicago, and came to Wausau in 1855, a carpenter and joiner by trade. The early frame buildings were all joined-timber frame and only boards were nailed. The joining together of the frames was a job which required great accuracy, and it was George Werheim's reputation this his frames always fitted. Many of the old houses and buildings are his work. In 1872 he associated himself with F. W. Kickbusch, under the firm name of Werheim & Kickbusch, and they built the first sash, door and blind factory in Wausau, a little north of where now stands the Northern Milling Company. The partnership continued successfully until 1880, when it was dissolved by agreement, Mr. Kickbusch carrying on the business alone, and Mr. Werheim building another similar factory on Third street. Later on he organized the Werheim Manufacturing Company, under which name the business was carried on until 1911, when George Werheim sold his interest therein and the business is now carried on under firm name of J. M. Kuebler Company. Mr. Werheim held many offices in Wausau and acquitted himself honorably of the trust confided in him. He was city treasurer four terms, village trustee, alderman, under sheriff, and three times the candidate of the Republican party for the assembly and twice elected. He enjoyed the confidence of the Wausau people to a high degree; he had no superior in his profession as builder; personally, his joviality, coupled with his personal honesty, made him a favorite in Wausau. When the drift was strongly with the Democratic party in 1884, he was nominated by the Republicans for member of assembly, and defeated after making a very creditable canvass, running three hundred votes ahead of the presidential ticket. He was elected to the assembly as a Republican in 1895 and 1899. 
 
GEORGE WERHEIM

Source:  “Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno” 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio.

 
George Werheim, one of the most substantial and respected citizens of Marathon county, and one of Wausau's oldest settlers, is president of the Werheim Manufacturing Company, of Wausau, one of the largest establishments of that city.
 
He was born in Hessen-Homburg, Germany, January 6, 1834, son of Konrad and Margaret Werheim.  The mother died when George was a boy, attending the common-schools of Germany, and in 1851 the father and his five children emigrated to America.  The family consisted of John, who was afterward killed in the war of the Rebellion; Mary, wife of Henry Hett, of Wausau; Philip, a clergyman, now stationed at Valparaiso, Ind.; George, and Elizabeth, wife of Charles Klinkie, of Chicago.  For two years they remained in New York, and then moved to Chicago, where many years afterward Konrad Werheim died.  Our subject worked at the carpenter's trade at Chicago for about three years, then in 1856, at the age of twenty-three years, he came to Wausau.  For a time he followed his trade, but later he began the manufacture of doors, sashes, blinds, etc.; this business he sold out, and in 1881 he started anew on a more extensive scale.  Ten years later a company was organized, officered by Mr. Werheim as president; Philip Werheim as vice-president; Joseph Reiser as treasurer; and George Werheim, Jr., as secretary.  It now conducts on a still more extensive scale the business that was founded by Mr. Werheim, and on an average employs some sixty men.
 
George Werheim was married, in 1855, to Miss Theresa Myers, and to them five children were born:  Emma, wife of Frank Hettinger, of Chicago; Theresa, wife of Charles Burke, of Wausau; Philip, of Wausau, who in 1884 was married to Miss Ulrica Kleutz; Mary, married in 1890 to Joseph Reiser, their family consisting of two children, John Raymond and Elsie Elizabeth; and George, Jr.  After the death of his first wife in August, 1870, Mr. Werheim was married in December, 1874, to Miss Elizabeth Paulus, by whom he has two children, Carl and Amanda.  For many years Mr. Werheim has served as trustee of Wausau, was under-sheriff one term, and for seven successive years he served as city treasurer.  He was elected to the Legislature November 6, 1894, on the Republican ticket, by a majority of 540 votes over his opponent, Bradd Jones.  Mr. Werheim is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the family attend St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church.  During his active business and official life Mr. Werheim has by his public spirit, by his zeal in matters of general moment, greatly endeared himself to the constituency of Marathon county, and he is recognized as one of its foremost citizens.

Werth, Alfred Carl (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Thursday, 11 Oct. 1928

Alfred Carl Werth, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Werth, town of McMillan, was born in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, August 19, 1897. When he was six his parents moved to the village of McMillan, where he attended the public and German Lutheran schools. He assisted on his father’s farm until he was 20. After that he served as a deliveryman for the Farmers’ Cooperative Produce Company of this city for four years. He then spent about a year in the same capacity with the Farmers’ Economy Store of Weber Brothers, then operated by Frank Hildenbrandt. Next he worked six years as a factory hand for the Roddis Lumber and Veneer Company, leaving there September 26, 1928, to accept his present position.

Mr. Werth was married to Miss Elsie Wagner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wagner, Marshfield, by Father H. P. Toeller, in the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, on July 8, 1924.

Politically, he is Independent. His hobbies are fishing, hunting and motoring.


Wheeler, Henry L. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, pages 568-569

* HENRY L. WHEELER, insurance agent, Wausau, was born in New York City, Oct. 7, 1835, and in 1851 went to California, remaining there about a year. He engaged in steamboating before coming to Wisconsin and was first officer of the steamship "United States," came to O'Plain, Kenosha Co., Wis., in October, 1855, and lived there until November, 1861, when he enlisted in the 8th Wis. Battery; mustered out of service at Milwaukee in August, 1865. He was in all the battles of his battery, except the second battle of Cornith. In the Fall of 1865, he purchased a half interest in a flouring mill at Amherst, remaining there until 1867, when he went to Stevens Point, living there from Spring to Fall of that year, then coming to Wausau and manufactured lumber in partnership with D. B. Wylie until January, 1868, when the mill was destroyed by an explosion. He then engaged in dealing in and running lumber to market until he began the insurance business. Mr. Wheeler was Lumber Inspector for this district from 1874 to the Spring of 1880, when he resigned; he was Under Sheriff in 1879 and City Assessor in 1874 and 1875; is secretary and treasurer of the Broom Company, and has been Alderman. He is engaged in general fire insurance. Mr. E. C. Zimmerman has been associated with him since the Spring of 1880. Mr. W., was married at O'Plain, Wis., June 1, 1856, to Lida R. Wylie, who was born in Pennsylvania. They have three children living — Frank E., Lida E., and a daughter unnamed. Lost two children, Fanny J., died at the age of fifteen years, and their son Henry L., died in infancy. Mr. Wheeler is prominently connected with the A., F. & A. M. and K. of H.


Whipple, Frank (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 575

* FRANK WHIPPLE, Postmaster, Spencer, was born in Winnebago County, Feb. 26, 1849. When he was thirteen years of age, the family moved to Portage County, where they located a farm, Frank attending Knox College and the Commercial School of Galesburg, Ill. In 1871, returned to the farm, where he remained till October, 1874, when he came to Spencer and worked in Partridge & Freeman's saw-mill. In '75 and '76, for J. L. Robinson as a clerk in the store. Was Assistant Postmaster till 22d May, 1877, when he was appointed Postmaster, and has held the appointment since. He is also clerk for John Dimond, in whose building the office now is. In 1873, he married Miss Florence Hooker, of Waupaca County. They have one son, named Earl. Mr. Whipple has been Town Clerk for five years, and also holds the office of Town Treasurer.


Wibben, Nicholas (Missing in Action – 1943)
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 30 Dec. 1943

* Staff Sgt. Nicholas Wibben, 26, town of Holton, who enlisted in the U.S. army December 20, 1939, in Wausau, and who was serving with the American paratroopers overseas, has been missing in action since December 7th, according to word received from the war department by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Wibben, town of Holton.

His parents believe he was in the European area, possibly in Italy, but were not certain. His last letter to his parents was received December 16th and had been written November 15th. He reported that he was healthy, well-fed and was anxious to receive news from home.


Wiechmann, Fred G. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 847-848

FRED G. WIECHMANN, proprietor of the Wiechmann Drug Stores, one of which is located at No. 310 Scott street, and the other at No. 1703 North Sixth street, Wausau, has an experience covering thirteen years in the drug business. He was born at Wausau, Wisconsin, July 12, 1884, and is a son of Adolph Wiechmann and wife, the former of whom died in this city in November 1911.

Fred G. Wiechmann has spent the greater part of his life in his native city, attending the public schools until old enough to make a choice of career and then becoming a clerk and student in a local drug store. Later he took a course in pharmacy in the medical department of the Milwaukee College and after graduating devoted his entire time to his profession. In May, 1907, he established his store on Scott street, and in March, 1909, his second store to accommodate patrons on North Sixth street. Both stores carry a complete line of pure drugs, conforming to the law in every way, together with the additional goods usually found in modern drug stores. He is a manufacturing chemist, one specially being Dr. Monroe's Rheumaloi, a patent medicine for the alleviation of rheumatic afflictions, this branch of the business being carried on under the name of the Rheumol Remedy Company.

In October, 1911, Mr. Wiechmann was married to Miss Clara Kiefer, of Wausau. He is identified with no fraternal organizations but is a valued member of the Wausau Club.


Wiechmann, Louis (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 838

LOUIS WIECHMANN, who is one of the old hardware men of Wausau, Wisconsin, with which business he has been identified here for twenty-three consecutive years, occupies commodious quarters and owns his building at No. 111 Washington street. He was born at Algona, Wisconsin, February 9, 1871, and is a son of Adolph and Johanna Wiechmann. The father was a contractor and builder and in 1875 moved with his family to Lacrosse, Wisconsin, in 1881 came to Wausau, and in 1890 established the hardware business here under the firm style of A. Wiechmann & Son, which remained until the retirement of the elder partner in 1905, his death following on November 5, 1911.

Louis Wiechmann was ten years old when his parents came to Wausau, where he attended school and afterward for some five years or more, was in the employ of the Montgomery Hardware Company. In 1890 he became his father's partner in business and has continued alone since his father's retirement, the firm, in 1900 having purchased the valuable business block now occupied. Mr. Wiechmann is well known over Marathon County as a reliable dealer and honorable business man and his long experience has well fitted him to supply the hardware most in demand in this section and his patrons often come from far distant parts of the county as they have done for over twenty years.

In 1903 Mr. Wiechmann was married to Miss Emma Wegner, of Wausau, Wisconsin, and they have two children: Walter and Gertrude. He is a member of Zion church.


Wilke, George H. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 833

GEORGE H. WILKE, who is engaged in the jewelry business at Wausau established himself March 1, 1912, at his present location, No. 314 Scott street, and has been a resident of this city since 1901. He was born at Port Washington, Wisconsin, January 21, 1880, and is a son of William and Wilhelmina Wilke.

Geogre H. Wilke attended the public schools at Port Washington and spent two years in the high school, after which he started to learn the jewelry and optical business and spent eleven years with Otto Mueller at Wausau and then went into business for himself. He is a practical watchmaker and optician and carries a complete line of watches and optical goods and a fine stock of silverware and jewelry. He enjoys the confidence of the public and has satisfactory prospects. Mr. Wilke belongs to the Knights of Pythias and values his social membership with the Wausau Club. He is unmarried.


Wilkins, Alice (Marriage License – Apr. 1903)
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 16 Apr. 1903

* Among the marriage licenses recently issued in Marathon Co. was one to A. Schraufnagle and Alice Wilkins.


Willems, Joseph (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 851

JOSEPH WILLEMS, junior member of the well known firm of Haesle & Willems, meat dealers, at No. 524 Forest street, Wausau, is one of the enterprising native born sons of this city, in which he has spent his life and secured a very creditable position as a business man and citizen. He was born March 1, 1882, and is a son of John and Agnes (Berens) Willems, the latter of whom survives. The father died in 1902, a well known man in this county and for years a police officer and also street commissioner at Wausau.

Joseph Willems was reared at Wausau and was educated in the St. Mary's parochial school, and was a student in the city High School until his junior year, when he began to learn the meat business. He worked for the old firm of Gilham & Rich for about ten years and in 1905 associated himself with John Haesle, another employe, in the purchase of the business and since then the firm of Haesle & Willems has been a prosperous one here, handling the bulk of the trade in their section of the city. Mr. Willems is a member of St. Mary's Catholic church.


Willard, Lee M. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 979-980

LEE M. WILLARD, M. D., who is engaged in the practice of medicine at Wausau, was born October 2, 1868, a son of V. R. Willard. He began the study of medicine after graduating from the Merrill High School with the class of 1885, entering the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Chicago, Ill., where he was graduated in 1891. Dr. Willard then gained practical experience in the Illinois Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary, where he practiced from 1891 until 1892, in October of the latter year coming to Wausau, where he has remained.

Dr. Willard is a member of the Marathon County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. In 1894 he was united in marriage with Miss Eva M. Penywell, a daughter of M. F. Penywell, of Chicago. He is a Mason, belonging to the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery at Wausau, and is identified also with the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Elks, while his social connections are with the Wausau Club and the Wausau Country Club.


Williams, Balser

Source:  “Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno” 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio.

 

Balser Williams, formerly a successful business man of Wausau, and now leading a retired life, was born in Prussia, Germany, June 3, 1835, son of Anton and Caroline (Low) Williams, both of whom lived and died in the Fatherland.

 

In his boyhood Balser attended the public schools, but he early evinced a liking for outdoor pursuits, and when his school-days were past he followed farming and stage driving until he attained his majority, when, in the year 1853, he emigrated to America.  For nearly a year he lived at Reading, Penn., finding employment in the iron mines near that city, and in August, 1854, came to Wausau, where he has ever since remained, a valuable and prominent citizen.  Like many of the pioneers to this region Mr. Williams first engaged in lumbering and in rafting on the Wisconsin river.  He was thus engaged nine years, and in 1866, he began a lumbering business of his own, following it successfully for five years.  Mr. Williams then gave his attention to real estate, in which he was engaged continuously until June, 1894, save two years when he conducted a livery business.  He has prospered, and at the expiration of a forty-years' career he is well entitled to a surcease from active life.

Mr. Williams has been twice married.  His first wife was Miss Katrina Kuhl. a native of Germany, whom he married in Columbia county, Wis., and by whom there were three children:  Charles A.; Margaret, wife of Henry Wolslegel, who died June 22, 1886; and Mary, deceased in infancy.  Mrs. Williams died April 16, 1862, and on July 17, 1864, Mr. Williams was again united in marriage, this time to Miss Amelia Pessert, a native of Germany.  Their two children are Caroline, wife of Jacob F. Emter, and Albert, a resident of Wausau.  Mr. Williams and family are members of St. Paul's Evangelical Church.  In politics he is Democratic.  He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and has twice, in 1878 and in 1884, represented the First ward as alderman in the common council.


Williams, Collin & Julia (Spencer Pioneers)
Source: Spencer Centennial Booklet (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) 1874 – 1974, page 8

Collin Williams and Julia Holmes were married December 25, 1870. Mrs. Williams, who was born at Antioch, Illinois, came at the age of 15 with her parents to Clark County to live on their homestead. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Williams lived on a farm southwest of Loyal, two years later moving into Loyal, and from there to Spencer in 1875.


Wilson, Benjamin Franklin (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 939-940

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN WILSON, president of the Wilson Mercantile Company, wholesale grocers, of Wausau, Wis., has also many other important business interests and is numbered with the most substantial and enterprising citizens of this section. He was born at Belmont, in County Middlesex, Ontario, Dominion of Canada. November 7, 1859. He attended the country schools there and resided with his parents on a farm. When seventeen years of age he left home and went to Manistee, Mich., where he entered the employ of Charles F. Ruggles, a banker and pine land owner, his position being that of office boy in the banking department of Mr. Ruggles' institution. Here he remained five years, during the last two years of this time being head bookkeeper. He then became head bookkeeper for Bradley Bros. of Milwaukee, pine land owners, with whom he remained four years.

Mr. Wilson then returned to Manistee, where he entered the employ of the Manistee Lumber Company, and continued with them seven years as head bookkeeper. He was then again with the Bradleys of Milwaukee, which had been incorporated into a stock company known as the Land, Log & Lumber Company, becoming a director, secretary and treasurer of the latter company.

In 1897 Mr. Wilson formed a partnership with H. E. Salsich, in the manufacture of lumber at Star Lake, Wis. This business association was carried on very successfully until 1907 under the firm name of Salsich & Wilson, the output of the concern during this time being some 400,000,000 feet of lumber, lath and shingles. During a part of this time Mr. Wilson was a resident of Star Lake, but in 1901 he moved his family to Wausau. Since closing his plant at Star Lake he has devoted his time to other important concerns, having heavy investments in timber lands, lumber, paper mills and street railroads. He is president of the Wilson Mercantile Company, wholesale grocers of Wausau, Wis., he is a director of the Marathon County Bank, of Wausau, Wis. He also takes much interest in the development of a farm of 240 acres, situated three and a half miles from Wausau, and is a very successful breeder of Guernsey cattle.

On October 4, 1882, Mr. Wilson was married to Miss Della L. Russell, daughter of Andrew J. Russell, Manistee, Mich., and they have a family of three sons and two daughters. Mr. Wilson has ever been a dependable citizen, and while living at Manistee, Mich., was supervisor from the second ward for four years. For twelve years he was postmaster at Star Lake, Wis.


Winch, Samuel Howard (1929)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Wednesday, 13 Feb. 1929

Samuel Howard Winch, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Winch, was born in this city December 26, 1870, and has made his home here since, with the exception of ten years spent in Park Falls and Athens, Wisconsin; and Cambridge, Ohio. The house at the southwest corner of Walnut and Third Streets, recently remodeled into the parsonage of the new Christ Lutheran Church, is where he was born.

Graduating from the local high school in 1899 and supplementing this training with two years in the University of Wisconsin and the Boyles’ Business College at Wausau, he became associated with his father as a bookkeeper in the Slack Barrel Stock Manufacturing Business. At first working a few months at the local plant, know as the Marshfield Stave Company, and later at the plants in Park Falls and Athens, known as the E. E. Winch and Company. After the sale of the Park Falls plant, he went on duty in the office of the Athens plant. In 1912, following the sale of the Athens plant, he returned to this city and served at the local factory until it was discontinued in 1920. This plant was later sold to the Marshfield Manufacturing Company, makers of beekeepers’ supplies. Since the stave company went out of business, Mr. Winch, has busied himself as the district manager of the Winona Oil Company and as a salesman to electrical appliance concerns.

Mr. Winch was elected as alderman of the Fifth Ward in April, 1928. His shift to the Seventh Ward resulted when the city was redistricted to increase the number of wards from six to eight. He is the chairman of the council finance committee and a member of the board of health.

He was married to Miss Ruby Margaret Riggs at the home of her parents in Cambridge, Ohio, June 22, 1904. They have three children: Eli Eugene 23, Elenor Orpha 20 and Samuel Riggs 14. The nuptial ceremony was performed by the Reverend C. V. Mulligan, a Presbyterian minister.

Fraternally, he is a past master of the Marshfield Masonic Blue Lodge and a member of the Marshfield Chapter Masons and the Neillsville Knight Templars. He also is affiliated with the local Elks and the United Commercial Travelers. Politically, Mr. Winch is a progressive Republican. His hobbies are motoring and fishing.


Winkley, Charles (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 569

* CHARLES WINKLEY, proprietor Winkley House, Wausau. He settled in this place in the latter part of July, 1851. His first work was by the month, and he then went to making shingles and logging on a small scale, which business he followed, more or less, for fifteen years. Then he built a part of the Winkley House, lived there and kept hotel, and was in the lumber business until 1868. In that year he finished the hotel. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, Sept. 1, 1829. He was married, Dec. 30, 1850, in England, and emigrated to America, Jan. 1, 1851. His wife's maiden name was Susanna R. Huckbody; she was born in Lincolnshire, England, June 24, 1830. They have had six children — Letitia A., who was married to Mr. G. A. Higgins, in September, 1874, she is now living near Waverly, Bremer Co., Iowa; John T. Winkley, married in December, 1880, and living with his father in the hotel, where he was born; four have died — Mary E., Charles J., Sarah A. and Charles Winkley, Jr.


Winkley, John T. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 569

* JOHN T. WINKLEY, livery and city bus line, Wausau, was born in Wausau, Oct. 2, 1858. When he arrived at a suitable age, he attended the city schools for some time, and afterward attended school in St. Paul, Minn. He was married at Wausau, Nov. 24, 1880, to Clara L. Babcock, who was also born in Wausau, Aug. 12, 1860. She is a daughter of James H. and Mary A. Babcock.


Winning, Richard Otto (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Wednesday, 19 Sept. 1928 

* Richard Otto Winning, son of August Winning, Beaver Dam, was born in Beaver Dam, September 19, 1896. He made his home there until he moved to this city on August 24, 1928, to engage in the jewelry business. His mother died several years ago. He and his family are residing at 308 ½ South Central Avenue. After he finished his educational training in the public schools, he became an apprentice watchmaker in the jewelry store of Ernst Wegener, Beaver Dam, brother of Hugo Wegener of this city. He remained with him 13 years. He then embarked in business in the same city for himself, doing watch and clock repairing, continuing in it for three years, until he moved to this city. 

Enlisting in the United States Army in June 1918 to serve in the World War, he spent a couple of months at the Bradley Polytechnic Institute in Peoria, Illinois, as an aviation instrument repairman, and the remainder of the time as a musician with a band of the Ordnance Supply Corps, at Camp Raritan, New Jersey. He played the clarinet. 

Mr. Winning was married to Miss Helen Eggert, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. B. Eggert, Edgar, Wisconsin, in the Lutheran church in that village, June 5, 1919. They have three children: Ruth 8, Wayne 4 and Robert 3. 

He is a member of the Beaver Dam Post of the American Legion, and the Legion Band of that city, of which he is one of the organizers. It was organized in 1921. During the first three years of its existence, he was its secretary-treasurer. Politically, he is Independent. 

His hobbies are sports in general, bowling, quoits, and radio building in particular. The number of radios constructed by him so far is given as 40. Last season he was identified with the Beaver Dam Businessmen’s Tenpin League as the head of a team under the name of “Watch Hospital.” Since coming here he has entered a team in the local bowling league under the same name.


Winninger, Franz (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 931-932

FRANZ WINNINGER, who occupies his comfortable residence at No. 715 Forest street, Wausau, has been a resident of this city since 1895 and now lives retired. He was born in Austria, December 3, 1848, was reared and educated there and before coming to the United States spent eleven years and eleven months in military service. For three years he served as a musician and for nine years was a member of the reserves. There are few names better or more favorably known in this section of the country than that of Winninger, it representing an unusual aggregation of musical talent and continued achievement in this direction.

In his native land Mr. Winninger learned the blacksmith trade but, with such marked musical gifts as his, it was inevitable that he should turn to music as his business in life. He was married in Austria, to Miss Rosalie Grassier, a daughter of Joseph Grassier, a blacksmith by trade. In 1881, with his wife and four children Mr. Winninger came to the United States, in this move seeking wider opportunities for his talented children. It is doubtful if any of the family was prepared for the hard life that faced them in the Wisconsin woods, their chosen home being two and one-half miles beyond Athens, in Marathon county. They made the best of it for six years and then gave up attempted farming and moved to Ashland, Wis. There Mr. Winninger became a teacher of music and was made the leader of the Ashland band and teacher of the Ashland Maennerchor, and for eight years Ashland remained the family home after which they came to Wausau. This removal was in acknowledgment of the request of many leading people of this city after they had listened to the concerts given here by Mr. Winninger and family as a troupe. For two years after locating here he conducted Columbia Hall as a concert and amusement place. After that, accompanied by his family, he traveled all over the country under the style of the Winninger Bros. & Co. Dramatic Company, Mr. Winninger being the leader of the brass band and orchestra. Although practically retired Mr. Winninger still has students of clarinet and violin and also, on occasion, still teaches band music.

Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Winninger: Frank, who travels with a dramatic company; John, who is also an actor and musician; Theresa, who is the wife of Leon Miller; Joseph, who trayels with his eldest brother as his secretary, is also a musician; Adolph, who belongs to the dramatic profession; and Charles, who is the husband of the popular actress, Blanche Ring, is a member of her company now playing in The Wall Street Girl. It certainly is unusual to find an entire family so evenly gifted and all are known all over the United States on both the concert stage and in the leading theatres.


Winters, Marvin (1928)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Tuesday, 17 Apr. 1928

Marvin Winters was born in 1857, at Port Henry, near Crown Point, New York. He received his education in the common school in that community. In 1878 he came to this section, which was then a vast stretch of timberland, and secured a homestead five miles east of Spencer, now known as the William Weiss place. After disposing of this farm, he lived for a time in Spencer Village. In the late 1890s he purchased his present home in the town of Spencer. He is a pioneer woodsman and was in the employ of the B. F. McMillan Company for more than 12 years, working in various lumber camps in this territory. He recalls many interesting incidents of the time when Spencer was about three times as large as Marshfield. He has played a prominent part in helping develop this prosperous dairy section.

He was married in January, 1879, to Dora Holden, whose parents came here several years earlier. Of the eight children born to them the following remain: Charles Winters at Sheridan; Byron Winters at Wausau; Oscar at home; Mrs. William Pudlak at Des Moines, Iowa; and Mrs. E. F. Rhoades at Chicago.

Politically, he is Independent. His hobby is fishing.


Wittmayer, J. J. (1930)
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) Friday, 29 Aug. 1930

J. J. Wittmayer, Stratford merchant, was born December 8, 1884, in Yankton, South Dakota, (at that time Dakota Territory), and after attending the public school for a number of years, obtained work in a general store at Kraemer, North Dakota, to which community his parents moved to when he was 11 years old. Later, he became treasurer of the school district, serving in that capacity for six years. He also held the office of village chairman for one year, justice of the peace for the same period, and was assistant postmaster at Kraemer for two years. In 1914 he came to Stratford to work as salesman at the Dan Mahoney Store, and later opened a variety store, which he sold after four years. He also worked eight years for the R. Connor Company and lived for one year at Milan, where he was assistant postmaster. Returning to Stratford, he opened a general merchandise and clothing establishment. In addition to his other duties, he serves as organist at Zion Lutheran Church, of which the Reverend T. E. Diemer is pastor.

He was married in 1906 at Kraemer, North Dakota, to Miss Martha Issendorf. They have one daughter, Madeline, who has been attending Ohio University, and who plans to attend the University of Minnesota next year.

Politically, he is a Republican. His hobby is bowling.


Woessner, Carl (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 569

* CARL WOESSNER, general merchandise and tailor shop, Wausau, came to Cambria, Wis., in June, 1857. He remained there about three years, then went to Portage, and remained one year; then he went to Grand Rapids for a short time, and from there he came to Wausau. He busied himself at various kinds of labor, tailoring, etc., for two years, then built his store, and followed tailoring and dealing in furnishing goods. In 1881, he added a large stock of general merchandise. He was Alderman two years, and City Treasurer in 1877. He was born in Braunfels, Kris, Wetzlar, Rhine Province, Germany, May 31, 1833. He was married in Wausau, Dec. 26, 1860, to Juliana Seymor, who was born in Villigen, Grossherzogthun, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, April 18, 1841. They have seven children — George, Maggie, Carl, Jr., Louis, Albert, Bertha and Julia.


Wojcik, Stanley B.
Source: Spencer Centennial Book (1874 - 1974) page 91

S. Sgt. Stanley B. Wojcik, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Wojcik, Route 1, Spencer, entered the army in 1939, and after a training period in the States was sent to Pearl Harbor. He was stationed on one of the Philippine Islands when the Japanese struck. He was killed in action while fighting on Luzon in the Philippines February 2, 1945. He had been awarded the Bronze Star and was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action against the Japanese. A brother, Peter, was wounded in Belgium the same day Sgt. Wojcik was killed.


Wolk, Joanne (Engagement – 1958)
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 23 Jan. 1958

* Mr. and Mrs. Emil Wolk have announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Joanne Wolk, to Emery Rahm, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Rahm of Spencer, Route 2. Wedding plans are indefinite. Miss Wolk is employed by the Parkin Ice Cream and Dairy Co. of Marshfield.


Worden, Delos W. (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 570

* DELOS W. WORDEN, foreman in Mr. J. Dessert's saw-mill, Mosinee, was born in Middlefield, Otsego Co., N.Y., Feb. 15, 1832; came to Oshkosh in 1856, where he worked for C. N. Payne & Co., seven years, in the capacity of foreman in their saw-mill. He then worked for D. L. Libby, in the same capacity, one year. From there, he went to Big Suamico; engaged, as before, one year for M. E. Trumbull & Co.; also one year for J. H. Weed & Co. He then returned to Oshkosh, and worked in the saw-mill, for the first-named company, nine years, after which he came to Mosinee and engaged with Mr. J. Dessert. He was married in Tioga Village, Pa., Aug. 3, 1854, to Sarafi J. Drake, who is a native of Steuben Co., N.Y., born 1834. They have five children — Nathaniel J., Margaret A., Oscar B., William H. and Nellie C.


Worthing, Bert(1907)
Source: Early and late Mosinee, by Edger E. Ladu (1907) pages 170-171

He was born in October 1876, at Janesville, Rock Co., Wis., and after finishing his education, which he did at various institutions in Wisconsin and Michigan, decided
on business as a profession, and proceeded to educate himself in that line. Finding an opportunity open to him, he engaged as purser on passenger and freight steamers
on the great lakes, plying between Green Bay Wis. and Buffalo N. Y., and also in various kinds of business. And for about five years prior to locating in Mosinee acted as manager for E. E. Bolls & Co. at Coleman, Wis. In February 1905 he came to Mosinee in search of a location in which to establish himself in business. Finding the outlook favorable, he soon secured a suitable building, splendidly located for his purpose, and he soon had a stock of goods beautifully displayed, and commenced his career as a prominent merchant in the pleasant healthy village of Mosinee. Mr. Worthing is a young man of thirty-one years of age, of fine business abilities, which he makes manifest in his dealings and in the management of the intricate problems connected with a general mercantile trade, as it is found to be in most sections of the country. Mr. Worthing is none of your grouty, unapproachable men, but you can get right up to him and find him ever ready to give you audience when business will permit him to do so. He is courteous and a thorough gentleman in all his intercourse
with whoever he may meet. His general deportment is of a character that exerts an influence worthy of emulation. Although not a long resident of Mosinee, yet his influence is felt on the general trend of the neighborhood is for a better condition of the surroundings. He dearly loves a game of baseball and likes to get into the box and
show how the trick is done by one who knows how and when and where the crooks and curves should be brought in. The family attend the Congregationalist church.


Wright, Ely (1881)
Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 569

* ELY WRIGHT, one of the proprietors of the P. G. Murray Iron Works, Wausau, was born in Athens, Bradford Co., Pa., Jan. 5, 1838. He came to Marinette in 1864, and remained there seven years, engaged as superintendent and cashier of the Menominee River Lumber Company, after the expiration of which time he embarked in the mercantile business, which he followed five years. He then bought the Menominee Iron Works, and run that in connection with a sash, door and blind factory; he also kept a broker's office. In the Winter of 1876, he moved the iron works, and erected them at Wausau. He was married in Marinette, Nov. 23, 1865, to Ella L. Fairchild, who was born in Maysville, Va., May 24, 1840. They have six children — Nellie M., Robert E., Fred, Ralph, Jessie F. and Leah.


Wright, Everett (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 978

EVERETT WRIGHT, who is engaged in the livery business at Athens, Wis., and is well and favorably known as a man of his word and as a good citizen, was born in Buffalo county, Wis., September 18, 1879, and is a son of Emerson and Sarah (Wray) Wright.

The parents of Mr. Wright were born in Canada, of English ancestry. The father was a farmer and a merchant and they were well known locally both in the Dominion and in Wisconsin, where they settled before the birth of their son Everett, the fifth of their family, the others being: Allen; Mary, wife of Joseph Patrow; Elizabeth; Eugene; Alice, wife of Gilferd York; and Rosabel.

Everett Wright had common school advantages only and then learned the barber's trade, which he followed for twelve years prior to coming to Athens. Here he invested in residence property and, with a partner, embarked in the livery business and also deals in horses. He married Miss Ella Plish, who was born in Marathon county, a daughter of Oswald Plish, whose other children are: Lilly, wife of Jacob Morrie; Robert; Edward; Alexander; Alma, wife of Louis Redtetzky; and Martha, wife of Peter Groff. Mr. and Mrs. Wright have three children: Evelyn, Alvera, and Mildred. The family attends the Presbyterian church. Mr. Wright belongs to the M. W. A. and in politics is an independent. voter.


Wylie, Daniel B., M.D. (1877)
WAUSAU
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Biographical history abounds in illustrations of the eminent success of self-made men, men whose early struggles have developed the best elements of their natures and laid the foundation of health and true grit, which became mighty helps in subsequent years. The subject of this sketch, in early life, experienced the efficacy of hard work, and learned that his only chance for acquiring knowledge was by casting himself upon his own resources. He is the son of Daniel Buck and Elizabeth Jarvis Wylie, and was born in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, July 14, 1827. His grandfather, Simeon Wylie, participated in the whole of the American Revolution, and his father was engaged in the second war with the mother country. At fifteen years of age he was working in the timber of Tioga County, Pennsylvania, receiving six dollars per month. He continued to lumber at the east most of the time until 1845, when he removed to the then Territory of Wisconsin. After spending a short time in Walworth County he went to Boone County, Illinois, where he was engaged in farming until the spring of 1846, when he returned to Wisconsin. Going into the pineries of Portage, now Marathon County, he spent the autumn and winter in making shingles; and in April 1847, started on a raft down the Wisconsin River and reached St. Louis about the middle of July, having slept on the raft or out-of-doors nearly every night during the trip. With some funds in his pocket, a laudable ambition in his soul and a
consciousness of his great want of education, Mr. Wylie now returned to his native State, and, after reviewing rudimentary branches of science, studied medicine three years with Dr. H. A. Humphrey, of Tioga village. His funds now being exhausted, in order to replenish them he spent another year in the pineries of Wisconsin, near the scene of his earlier toils, and afterward went to Ann Arbor, Michigan, and attended a course of medical lectures. He spent the first three years of his professional life at Mansfield and Kennyville, in his native State, and at the expiration of that time returned to Wisconsin and practiced three years in Eau Pleine, Portage County, and Grand Rapids, Wood County, and in January 1856, made a permanent settlement at Wausau, where he has practiced most of the time since that date. Once or twice, however, he has turned aside from his profession and spent a time in the business which furnished the means for his medical attainments. Not satisfied with these attainments, he, in 1870, took a full course of lectures in the Long Island College Hospital, and received the highest honors of the class. Dr. Wylie is not only the oldest physician, reckoning the years in practice here, but the headman in the profession in Marathon County. For the last six years he has allowed nothing to turn him aside from his professional work, and is known as a reading, thinking, growing man. Of late he has paid special attention to surgery, and has become quite eminent in that department of the healing art. He has been examining surgeon for pensions since the county has had demands for such an officer. He is a fifth degree member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

In politics he is a republican. He, however, never allows any outside matters to interfere with his legitimate business. His ambition is to be known as a physician, a surgeon and a private citizen, and nothing more.

Dr. Wylie has been twice married: the first time in July 1854, to Miss Harriet S. Amsbry, of Gaines, Tioga County, Pennsylvania; the second time December 2, 1872, to Mrs. Josephine Martin, of Wausau. By his first wife he had four children, three of whom are still living; by his second wife he has one child. The eldest son, Winfred, graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in February, 1877, and is practicing with his father. The rest of the children, Daniel B., Myrtle and Genevieve, are at home. Winfred was educated at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin; hardened his constitution by working for a while, from choice, in the pineries and rafting on the rivers; and now, with a good foundation of theoretical knowledge on which to build, he has commenced in earnest its practical application; and being a young man of fine taste and studious habits, will be likely to grow and attain eminence in the healing art.

 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.