Biographies
Marathon County Wisconsin -
Lemke Family

*
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman (unless otherwise noted) -- Back To Biographies Index
History -- Births -- Marriages -- Obits ---- Wood County Wisconsin Biographies 


Lemke, August H. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 750-753

AUGUST H. LEMKE, D. D. S., who has well equipped offices at No. 312 S. First avenue, Wausau, enjoys a large and substantial practice which he has built up since the fall of 1907 and is the only practicing dental surgeon engaged on the west side. He was born in Germany, September 2, 1868, and is a son of John A. and Marie (Scherberty Lemke.

John A. Lemke brought his family to America in 1871, coming directly to Wisconsin. He was a cigarmaker by trade but immediately invested in land in the town of Wausau, Marathon county, and acquired three farms, aggregating 110 acres, all valuable land. He continued to maintain his home in the city of Wausau but daily visited his farm and for a number of years overlooked their development. He and wife now live in comfortable retirement at Wausau where they are held in exceeding esteem. They have eleven children: Charles, who is a farmer, has 160 acres in the town of Plover; August H.; Frederick; Minnie, who is the wife of Frank Snow and they reside in the state of Washington; William, who lives in South Dakota; Edward; Henry, who is a farmer; Marie, who is the wife of Frank Bentzien, of Santa Clara, Cal.; Robert; Henrietta, who is the wife of John Dumke; and Paul.

August H. Lemke was reared at Wausau and attended the public schools and also a business college and was graduated with the degree of B. S. from the university at Valparaiso, Ind. For fourteen years he afterward followed teaching, both in the rural and the city schools and prior to turning his attention seriously to the study of dentistry, visited Europe, in 1901, and once more saw the old family home place in Germany. Prior to this, however, he had spent about one and one-half years in travel in the United States and during this period covered no less than 11,000 miles. In 1907 he was graduated from the Chicago Dental College and in September of the same year opened his office at Wausau.

Dr. Lemke was married in 1902 to Miss Emma Hennig, of Dodge county, Wis., and they have three children: Irma, Leslie and Marie. He is secretary and treasurer of the Marathon County Dental Society and belongs to the Wausau Commercial Club.


Lemke, Carl (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 717-718

CARL LEMKE, one of Wausau's best known business men, who for twenty-eight years has been in the photographic line here, was born in Pomerania, Germany, August 9, 1862, and is a son of Frederick Lemke, whose life was passed in Germany.

Carl Lemke was reared in Germany and after attending the public schools learned the art of photography, which he successfully followed for seven years before coming to the United States. In the fall of 1884 he came first to Wausau and spent the following winter in the employ of Lee Goff, a local photographer, in the spring of 1885 embarking in business for himself. His studio at No. 508 Jefferson street is in a fine brick building which he entirely remodeled and in addition owns other valuable city property. Mr. Lemke's artistic work is known all over the county and embraces everything in the line of photography.

Mr. Lemke was married in 1885 to Miss Ulricke Block, who was born also in Germany and came to Wausau in 1883. They have had five children: Alfred, who died when aged fifteen years; Walter J., who is a member of the faculty of an academy at Enterprise, Kans., was given fine educational advantages, including four years of college and a post-graduate course at Berea, O.; Meta, who is a student at Berea College; Carl, who is his father's assistant; and Erna, who is a student in the Wausau High School. Mr. Lemke and family are members of the German Methodist church.


Lemke, Edward W. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, page 714

EDWARD W. LEMKE, carpenter, contractor, and also carriage painter, with residence and office at No. 521 Jackson street, Wausau, is a very well known citizen and is serving his second term as a member of the city council, representing the Second Ward, of which he has been a resident his entire life. He was born at Wausau, April 18, 1865, and is a son of August and Caroline (Seymour) Lemke. The parents of Mr. Lemke were born and reared in Germany and when they came to the United States both located at Watertown, Wis., where they soon after were married, and one year later came to Wausau. August Lemke was a wagonmaker by trade and all his sons were instructed by him in his own shop which stood on Washington street across from the City Hall, the public library board now owning the ground.

Edward W. Lemke attended the public schools through boyhood and then learned carriage painting under his father and still later learned the carpenter trade, following the same for a number of years and then going into contracting. As he grew up he was identified with the movements which have contributed to the development of his native city, and for twenty-two years was a member of the old volunteer fire department.

In 1894 Mr. Lemke was married at Wausau to Miss Mary Hussong and they have had six children to grow up, while two, Howard and Viola, died young. The others are: Lida, Myrtle, Edward, Lucile, Georgette and Dorothy. In politics Mr. Lemke is a Democrat but has cared little for public office, although, as an alderman, he has given extreme satisfaction to his ward. He belongs to the fraternal order of Woodmen of America.


Lemke, Otto C. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 842-845

OTTO C. LEMKE, president and treasurer of the Underwood Veneer Company, manufacturers of veneers and panels at Wausau, Wis., has been identified with this important business enterprise for some eleven years, first as bookkeeper and afterward assuming his present responsibilities. Mr. Lemke was born on a farm in the town of Berlin, Marathon county, October 1, 1870, and is a son of Fred and Ernestine (Giese) Lemke. They were born in Germany and came to Marathon county in 1868. The father died on his farm in 1900, but the mother survives.

Otto C. Lemke spent his boyhood on the home farm and attended the country school; afterward took a commercial course in a business college, and attended state normal school, following which he taught school for a number of years. In 1895 he came to Wausau where he-was engaged in clerical work for a time, and then bought a part interest in a country saw mill in the town of Hamburg, Marathon county, which he operated for a number of years, and when he retired to become bookkeeper for the Underwood Veneer Company returned to Wausau, but for some tithe afterward still was interested to some degree in his former business. As time went on his responsibilties in the Underwood Veneer Company increased and he became assistant secretary. treasurer and manager, subsequently becoming head of the business. The officers are: O. C. Lemke, president, treasurer and general manager; S. W. Underwood, vice president; A. W. Underwood, secretary. The products of the company are veneers and panels, birch, basswood, oak, ash, elm, maple and mahogany woods being utilized. Shipments are made to all the states and Canada and the North America and British Islands.

Mr. Lemke married Miss Bertha Nickel, of the town of Maine, Marathon county, and they have three children: Helen, Alvera and Margaret. As a citizen Mr. Lemke is very active. He was one of the organizers of the Wausau Commercial Club and became its first president, but finding his private business making constant demands on his time and attention, resigned that office although his interest in the organization continues. He is known as a man of business ability and equally so of business integrity.


Lemke, William F. (1913)
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 925-926

WILLIAM F. LEMKE, who is one of the leading men and reliable citizens of the town of Berlin, resides on the old Lemke homestead situated in section 23, which contains eighty. acres, fifty of which were cleared by his father. He was born in Germany, January 6, 1866, and is a son of Fred and Austina (Giese) Lemke. The parents were both born in Germany and belonged to the educated class. They came to America in 1869 and established their home in Marathon county, Wis., settling in the woods in the town of Berlin, their first home being a rude shanty on the site of the present comfortable farm house. Fred Lemke helped to build the first road in the township and became a man of considerable prominence here. He was elected to school offices for twenty years, was town assessor for two years, and helped to erect the first Lutheran church, of which he was an officer for thirty years. He served five years as agent for the Berlin Fire Insurance Company, of which he was a charter member and first representative. His death occurred at the age of sixty-two years and his burial was in the Naugart cemetery. His widow survives and resides with her son.

William F. Lemke attended school in a log building in Berlin District No. 1, after which he engaged in farm work and spent several years both before and after his marriage, in the town of Stettin and then returned to the homestead. He was three and a half years old when the family first settled here and one of his earliest impressions of the new home was when a violent storm came up and the roof of the house was torn away, his father being absent at the time. He resides in section 23 on the east side of the north and south road and in all, owns 200 acres of land, on which he carries on general farming and raises Guernsey cattle. He is a stockholder in the Citizens State Bank and the German-American Bank and is president of the Naugart Telephone Company, of which he was a charter member. After thirteen years of useful service on the board of Agriculture, being vice president during six years of that time, Mr. Lemke resigned in 1912. In politics he is an Independent Republican. For three years he has been school clerk of District No. 1; for six years has been chairman of the town of Berlin and takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to the public welfare. For the last three years he has been treasurer of the Berlin Farmers Mutual Fire and Lightning Insurance Company, of which he has been a member for six years.

Mr. Lemke married Miss Bertha Lange, a daughter of Fred Lange, now deceased, and they have the following children: Paul, Lydia, William, Herbert, Erwin, Hertha, Carl, Raymond, Alice, Alfred, Roy and Ramona. All the older children have been attending college, and all are sure of having the best of educational advantages afforded them. The family belongs to the Lutheran church at Naugart, of which Mr. Lemke is a trustee.
 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.