MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and
Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis
Marchetti, pages 569-571 ---Transcribed by Marla
THE TOWN OF ELDRON
This town was organized with the election of town officers in the
spring of 1888 and I. S. Ingersoll was elected the first chairman.
When established the town embraced townships 26 and 27 in range 10
east, but later township 27 was set off and established as the town
This town borders on Shawano and corners with Waupaca county, and
some settlers came in from that territory before the building of the
Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad, now the Chicago &
Northwestern Railroad. A spur track of that road runs now clear
through these two townships in range 10, and into Portage county to
a place named "Roshhold," giving passenger service although the main
traffic consists in taking out freight, such as logs and farm
produce. There was much logging and lumbering done in this town
after the railroad came in, and not much attention was given to
farming. The mills have now all gone out, except one small saw mill
owned by August Sigasz, which is doing custom sawing for farmers.
Farms have become larger and more in numbers lately, and there is
sufficient stock to keep one creamery supplied with milk all during
the season, and milk is shipped out by railroad. The best farms are
on the eastern portion of the town, and there is also the biggest
population at present, and it is fast advancing as a farming
The largest farm is owned by A. J. Plowman, who has a fine stock of
registered Guernsey cows and is a very successful breeder of this
class of cattle. The population is mixed, there being Germans,
native Americans, Scandinavians, Polish, and Scotch people, the
Germans seemingly to be the most numerous. The first settlers in
this town were Calvin Day, who came in 1880, and G. V. Ackerman and
Joseph Hall, Samuel Williams, who
came in 1882.
At the station "Eldron" quite a village has grown up where much
business is done. The village is lit by electric lights; it has the
central office of the Eldron Telephone Company which has toll lines
into Wausau, Roshhold, Wittenberg, Eland Junction, and Bevant. John
Dexter has a carpenter shop, and another one is William E. Allen.
Ed. Vance is the blacksmith and wagonmaker of the village.
Stores keeping general merchandise are conducted by Thomas O.
Thompson, Mr. Charbeneau, and T. M. Hicks. A. J. Plowman conducts a
flour and feed warehouse, and the Stark Company and P. N. Peterson
conduct potato warehouses. Potatoes are an important article of
commerce and are shipped in large quantities from this locality.
There is a hotel kept by Fred. Evert and a restaurant by William
Donahue. A canthook stock factory is run by the Eldron Produce
THE ELDRON STATE BANK
was organized at the beginning of this year (1913) by A. J. Plowman.
It has a capital of $10,000. Its officers are: President, Carl
Roshhold; first vice president, A. J. Plowman; second vice
president, E. J. Benson; cashier, Berg Olson, who, with L. S.
Jacobson, Frank Scholz, Roman Woitosek, and Peter Cherek constitute
the board of directors.
This town, young as it is, has a splendid future before it, the
lands being excellently adapted for potato culture as well as for
corn and grains, and are a fine field for embarking in dairy
The public school in the village is a solid brick building, with a
state graded school of two departments. The principal is Mrs. Mabel
C. Iarms; assistant, Miss Mae St. Marie. This with the other four
schoolhouses in the town will soon give it decided American
There are two neat frame churches; one belongs to a Scandinavian
Lutheran congregation, the services being conducted in the Norwegian
language by a visiting minister from Wittenberg and was built in
1904-05. The other is called a "Union" church, situated in the
village of Eldron, built four years ago by people of different
Christian confessions, with the understanding between them, that
service might be held therein by any of the congregations desirous
of so doing, which agreement has been faithfully kept. There are now
regular religious services conducted by a minister from Wittenberg
for the Scandinavian population, and the Methodist congregation is
regularly visited by a student of theology from St. Lawrence College
in Appleton, who conducts the service. The congregations hold their
worship in true Christian spirit of toleration and harmony.