MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and
Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis
Marchetti, pages 572-573 ---Transcribed by Marla
THE TOWN OF EMMETT
The name indicates the nationality of its population. When it was
created, there was a wish on the part of the inhabitants to
commemorate the name of the pure Irish patriot and martyr by giving
the town his name. It was organized in the spring of 1889 with the
election of officers, and Felix Maguire was elected chairman and
representative in the county board. Its territory consists of
township 27, range 5, and a large part, about nine
sections in the south part of township 27, range 6 east. This town
was settled from the village of Mosinee in early days and is
included in what was then generally known as the "Irish Settlement,"
which stretched over the present towns of Mosinee, Emmett, and
Cleveland. The whole of this town is splendid farm land, and there
are some of the very finest farms that can be found in this county.
The descendents of the first Irish settlers are
mostly all living on their fathers' farms; but few have emigrated,
but it is no longer a pure Irish settlement. The population is a
mixed one, there being Austrians, Germans, and Bohemians, and a few
of Polish nationality, but all getting along in the best of harmony,
vieing with each other in displaying the genuine American spirit of
enterprise and loyalty to American institutions.
A saw mill owned and operated by Fred. Wunsch saws logs for farmers
so that they can get their building material without much cost, and
he also buys logs for manufacturing purposes.
There is a busy little country village named "Halder," from the name
of an old settler, which is the name of the postoffice at the place,
and there are the following business enterprises carried on: A
general merchandise store by Mich. Strefter, a tavern by John
Kennedy, a blacksmith business by William Dalski, and a cheese
factory and a feed mill. Another store building owned by John
Schirkpe is occupied by William Ress in the absence of the owner,
who is the present treasurer of Marathon county. Another cheese
factory, owned by farmers and conducted on the cooperative plan,
exists in this town.
The town has five school districts, each with a good schoolhouse.
The school at Halder is a state graded school with two departments,
giving instructions up to the eighth grade. The principal in that
school is Miss Anna Hoard; assistant, Miss Edna Wachtel. The
enrollment is sixty-five.
The population with few exceptions adheres to the teachings of the
Catholic church. A church building was erected soon after settlement
began, but in 1906 to I907 the old church was replaced by a new
edifice, a solid brick building, at a cost of over $12,000, named
St. Patrick's Church. It is still a mission of the parish of
Mosinee, but a parsonage is being built now, and there will not
doubt be a resident priest at Halder within a short time. The
congregation is large, including about two-thirds of the population.
The prominent members of the church with respect of length of
residence are the families of Robert Freeman, the O'Connors, the
Maguires, and the Fitzgeralds.