HISTORY OF MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN 

FRANZEN (1913)

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 577-578 ---Transcribed by Marla Zwakman


THE TOWN OF FRANZEN

This town was set off from the town of Eldron in the year 1901. It consists of township 26, range 10 east, and elected A. J. Torgerson as its first chairman in the spring of the same year. A large saw mill was operated until the year 1911 when it shut down for want of pine timber supply. The town is divided in three school districts, each with a good school.

There are no churches in that town as yet, the population worshipping in the churches of the neighboring town, at Bevant and in Eldron, in the town of Pine Lake mainly. It is only a few years that this town has been opened to settlement by the building of roads, and in a few more years it will become as largely settled as any other town. It is very sparsely settled now, the land being thickly covered with timber owned by outside parties. The settlers in this town are mostly Scandinavians.
 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.