MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and
Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis
Marchetti, pages 571-572 ---Transcribed by Marla
THE TOWN OF HARRISON
Harrison was set off as a separate town December 20, 1888, from
portions of the towns of Easton and Texas; its present territory
embraces only township 30, range 10 east. It organized in the spring
of 1889, and J. C. Hogarthy was elected as its first chairman.
Hogarthy was one of the first native Americans in Marathon county to
go farming and remained on his farm until his death after 1900, only
doing some occasional logging on the Eau Claire river near or on his
land. Like all other lands this township was heavily timbered, and
all of the pine was floated down to the three mills on this river
and there manufactured.
There is now a small portable mill in this town doing custom sawing
for farmers. The farm settlement is getting stronger in later years,
but clearings are not yet very large. Much of the income of the
farmers is derived from the sale of hardwood logs brought to the
railroad landing in the town of Hewitt, and the hemlock is floated
down the Eau Claire river to the mill of Manser or the John Ross
mill, being in the village of Scholfield.
There is as yet no cheese factory or creamery in this town, but they
will soon be in existence as the clearings grow and more stock can
The town has four school districts with a good modern schoolhouse in
each, and the population is of mixed nationality, some native
Americans, some Scandinavians and some Germans.
There are no churches in this town, but religious services are
conducted in schoolhouses by visiting ministers.