MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and
Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis
Marchetti, page 576 ---Transcribed by Marla
THE TOWN OF HEWITT
Hewitt was set off from the town of Harrison in 1894 and had its
first town election in the spring of 1895, which resulted in the
election of Henry McLean as chairman.
It was very sparsely settled at the time and little timber cut
except the pine. A spur track of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railroad runs into that town from the city of Merrill, running
nearly straight east from Merrill and then south through sections 3,
10, and I5.in this town. The object of this spur track is to haul
the hemlock and other timber there in profusion to the mills at
Wausau and Merrill.
Although farming is of recent origin, there is a creamery located in
this town getting enough of a supply to make butter during the whole
One saw mill, owned by August Radant, does a large amount of custom
There are five schoolhouses in as many districts.
One Evangelical Lutheran church was built seven or eight years ago,
the minister in charge of the congregation coming to visit his flock
regularly from Aniwa, Langlade county.