Town of Kronenwetter
Marathon County, Wisconsin
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman
THE TOWN OF KRONENWETTER
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and
Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 565-567
Was set off from the town of Mosinee November 12, 1886, to
consist of township 27, range 8, and all of township 27, range
7, lying east of the Wisconsin river. It was named after the
pioneer Sebastian Kronenwetter, who was duly elected as its
first chairman. At the time of its organization there were but
few farmers in the town and the only industrial enterprise
therein was the saw mill of S. Kronenwetter located on Bull
Junior, where it empties into the Wisconsin river.
The town has undergone a great change since. New settlers have
come and large farms with good substantial buildings are now the
rule not the exception. The little saw mill on Bull Junior is no
longer operated, but another establishment of large dimensions
exists now in this town. It is the plant of the first complete
plant of this kind built in the United States, which is a source
of great pride taken by the citizens of Wausau and of Marathon
county, as showing the great advance made in this county in
industrial pursuits, and as an example of what the splendid
water power of the Wisconsin river is to be used for in the
future. At this plant there is manufactured both sulphate pulp
and sulphate paper, popularly known as Kraft pulp and paper. The
mill manufactures about 50 tons of pulp a day and 30 tons of
finished paper. The latter is used mainly as wrapping paper,
although it is also used for sandpaper, bag paper, cover paper,
and envelope paper. In the manufacture of this pulp there is
utilized the various coniferous woods that grow in our country.
The mill also uses to some extent the refuse from the saw mills.
In the erection and planing of this mill special attention was
given to the welfare of the employees in the heating, lighting,
and the ventilation of the rooms. The main building is 548 by 74
feet, and contains rooms for paper machines, beaters, wet
machines, and screens, washing tanks, digestors and alkali
tanks. Another building is 160 by 80 feet and contains boiler
rooms and soda recovery department. The third building is of
wood 120 by 40 feet, a four-store building with basement.
Besides there are several smaller buildings and a pump house.
The chimney is 205 feet high. The power house is located in the
village of Mosinee across the river on the spot where the Joseph
Dessert mill was operated for so many years. It stands about
2,000 feet away from the factory proper, and has two A.C.
generators with a capacity of 2,000 K.W.
The machines in the paper mill are driven practically each by an
individual motor drive. The mill, power house and dams are
constructed in the most substantial manner, and the machinery is
the outcome of the latest development in pulp and paper mill
machinery construction. The total output of sulphate pulp and
Kraft paper manufactured in 1912 was 10,200 tons of pulp and
6,600 tons of paper. The production is increasing so that there
is now a daily output of thirty tons of paper and fifty tons of
pulp. The mill employs 200 men. The company was incorporated in
1910 with a capital stock of $700,000.
The officers of this corporation are: President and manager,
Carl Mathie; vice president, Louis Desert; secretary; W. C.
Landon; treasurer, F. P. Stone, who with Neal Brown, M. C.
Ewing, G. D. Jones, and B. F. McMillan constitute the board of
The farmers have felt the need of a cheese factory and have
erected one, running on the cooperative plan.
Three schools and one joint school district take care of the
education of the growing generation.