McMillan History

 Marathon County, Wisconsin
Transcribed By: Marla Zwakman


THE VILLAGE OF McMILLAN 

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 507-508

The village of McMillan voted for incorporation in November, 1891, and G. H. Reynolds, who was at the time the bookkeeper for McMillan Brothers, who operated the saw mill in the village, was elected supervisor in the following spring, and became its first representative in the county board. 

The population of the village was almost entirely limited to the owners of this large mill establishment, mentioned in chapter on settlement on the “Wisconsin Central Towns,” and their employees. It had a population of over two hundred some years after its incorporation, but has steadily declined. 

Since the mill stopped operation in 1911, no business of any importance has been carried on. B. F. McMillan still resides there and he is heavily interested in other industrial establishments in Marathon county, as for instance, the Mosinee Paper Mill. He is a strong advocate of good county roads and a practical road builder. When the city of Wausau began macadamizing its streets in 1901, he was good enough to lend his two carts for rock hauling and unloading crushed rocks to the city without charge. He has a farm and is a stockraiser, in which enterprise A. E. Beebe, the village postmaster, is interested with him. There is a school in the village conducted on the plan of a district school.

 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.