MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN
Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and
Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis
Marchetti, pages 567-569 ---Transcribed by Marla
THE TOWN OF NORRIE
The town of Norrie was created out of the territory of the towns of
Knowlton and Weston on December 30, 1886, and elected its town
officers in the spring of 1887, with I. M. Jennie as chairman. It
was organized as a separate town in the year 1887 with townships 26
and 27 north of range 10 east as its territory.
There is a very beautiful small lake in that town, known as
"Mayflower" lake, on the shores of which are several very neat
cottages belonging to Wausau people who spend their summer vacation
there. The Chicago & Northwestern Railway traverses the town, the
railroad station being eighteen miles east from Wausau. Like all the
rest of Marathon county, this part was heavily timbered, there being
little logging done until the railroad ran through the town on its
way to Wausau, in 1880. Then a number of saw mills came in, one at
the village at Norrie, which sawed a very large amount for nearly
twenty years, and then shut down. The earliest settler in that town
- in the village rather, before there were any farmers around there
- was Richard Jewsen who built a hotel in the village and a saw
mill. He died some years ago and his saw mill quit running when the
timber near the mill was exhausted. There is now one little saw mill
in the village operated -by William Kuehn, who does custom sawing
.The farm settlement is still light, but there is another village in
the same town named Hatley, where there also were saw mills which
have disappeared. There are five schoolhouses in the town with as
At Hatley there is a Polish Catholic church styled the St. Florian
church, which was erected in 1898, while Reverend Garus was in
charge of the congregation. The first organization of the parish
goes back to February of that year. First services were held in the
schoolhouse, then R. E. Parcher who operated the mill at that time
gave the society fifteen acres of land for a church site, and in the
same year the church was built and consecrated. For some years there
was no resident pastor, and the services were conducted after
Reverend Garus by Rev. Leo Jankowski, Rev. John Adamowski, and Rev.
John Kula. The spiritual affairs were conducted later on by the
Franciscan Fathers of Green Bay for nearly a year up to July, 1903,
and by Rev. Hieronimous Schneider. The following pastors visited
once or twice a month and held service, to-wit: Stan. Elbert,
Ladislaus Slisz. Then the following became the resident pastors:
Rev. Ignatius Mordaski, Rev. Joseph Miller, Rev. J. Orlowski, and
the present pastor, Rev. John Karcz. Under the administration of the
last named one, the church debt has been paid, and $1,200 are now in
the treasury for the purpose of erecting a new and larger church. It
is expected that in the year 1913 a new edifice will be built, for
which plans have been adopted; it is to be a solid brick building
135 by 50 feet. The congregation was very small when originally
organized, but now it numbers over 135 families. It belongs now to
the diocese of La Crosse. The present trustees are: Rev. John Karsz,
president; John Kozmeja, secretary, and John Podjaski, treasurer.
There is also a Catholic church in the village of Norrie which is a
mission of the church in Hatley and served by the same priest.
The Congregationalists have a church in the village of Norrie, named
the First Congregational Church at Norrie, which was organized on
February 22, 1892, with Rev. Margeret Elliot as pastor and nineteen
members, and the present house of worship erected during the same
year. Since that time some of the old members have moved away, some
(Norwegians) have joined the Scandinavian church, which has been
organized since, and others have come to take their places. The
present congregation numbers eighteen and it has no resident pastor.
The Sunday school has been kept up regularly, is well attended and
has a total membership of sixty, including home department and
cradle roll. Mrs. A. R Bucknam is the clerk of the congregation, and
to her earnest and faithful work is due the continuous flourishing
condition of the congregation.
There is also a German Lutheran church in the village of Norrie,
which is a mission and has no resident minister.
A cheese factory exists in the village of Hatley, in the town,
which, is well supplied with milk during all of the season.
The village of Hatley has voted to incorporate and will be an
independent political entity in 1913.
Hatley has become an important shipping point for train loads of
potatoes raised in the vicinity.