HISTORY OF MARATHON COUNTY WISCONSIN 

PLOVER (1913)

Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens (1913) written by Louis Marchetti, pages 574-575 ---Transcribed by Marla Zwakman


TOWN OF PLOVER

This town was established by the county board in June, 1890, and its first representative on the board was Hiram Walker; afterwards William W. Thayer was repeatedly elected and reelected and served also as chairman of the county board. The town is composed of township 29, range 10 east. This town is still heavily timbered, especially on the north and north-east side, and until lately the largest part of the farmer settlement was in the northern portions.

The population is German, Scandinavian, and lately a goodly number of natives of Holland have settled in the southern portion, but there are also a few native Americans, as for instance William Thayer.

There are no saw mills in this town at this day, but logging camps did exist until lately and logs were brought to the logging spur track of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, which runs into the town of Hewitt from the city of Merrill and took the logs to the Wright and Heinemann mills in Merrill and to Barker & Stewart in Wausau.

The town is comparatively new, the farm settlement hardly antedating the organization of the town, but the influx of the German, Scandinavian, and Hollander was purely for farming, while the first settlers, Americans, had been more or less engaged in logging.

The town is divided in four school districts with five schoolhouses, the fourth district being a joint district, part of it lying in the town of Plover and the town of Norrie. The new settlers in that town are making great headway in clearing up land and getting stock. In a few years this town will be as prosperous as any of the older towns.

There is a neat frame church in this town, which was built in 1909, and the congregation incorporated under the laws of Wisconsin in 1911. The church stands one-half a mile east of the Eau Claire bridge on the town line road. It is of the Presbyterian confession, and the service is held in the language of Holland. The ministers are supplied by the classis or the home missionary board. The number of families belonging to the church are twelve, with seventy-five souls.
 

Marathon County Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host


Copyright Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.