Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
Marquette County, Wisconsin

Charles H. Bissell
CHARLES H. BISSELL, editor, Montello. Was born in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., March 20, 1852. In 1856, he came with his patents to Wisconsin, and settled in Waushara County. In 1858, they moved to Harrisville.   In March, 1868, our subject came to Montello, and entered the office of Pease & Goodell, then editors of the Montello Express. He remained there three and a half years, then went to Winneconne, and, with W. H. Walker, edited the Winneconne Items a year and a half. He then went to Minnesota and spent three years in printing, when he returned to Montello in the Spring of 1877 and bought out Mr.  Goodell's interest in the Express, and, with J. B. Cogan, conducted it till Mr. Cogan disposed of his interest to J. T. Cogan. Since that time, Bissell & Cogan have conducted it. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Edwin H. Canfield
CANFIELD Edwin H, Luverne. Lawyer. Born Dec 27, 1855 in Westfield Wis, son of James f and Mary E (Holmes) Canfield. Married Mar 15, 1877 to Carrie A Hills. Educated in common schools Olmsted county Minn and high school Rochester Minn; also private tutor; studied law with Chas C Wilson Rochester Minn and admitted to bar in 1881. Removed from Westfield Wis to a farm Olmsted county Minn 1866; after leaving school taught 11 terms; settled in Luverne Minn where he has practiced law 1881 to date; county atty Rock county 14 years; member of school board 8 years; elected state senator 1906 from Rock and Pipestone counties. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]

Robert Cochrane
ROBERT COCHRANE, proprietor grist and saw mills, and dealer in grain and farmers' produce, Westfield. Settled at Waupun, in 1845, and lived there until September, 1849. at which time he went to Westfield, Wis., and made his claim of land and began the erection of a saw mill, that being in Spring, 1850. He built his grist mill in the Summer of 1853, since which time he has been engaged in the mercantile, grain and milling business. He was also present at the organization of the township of Westfleld, taking part in the same. He made the first town plat of the village of Westfield, July 19, 1856. He was a member of the Legislature, in 1864, and has done much to make Westfield the thriving village it is. He was born in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., April 25, 1822. He married Miss Lucy R. Emerton, January, 1858, at Ft. Winnebago, Columbia Co. She was born in New Hampshire, in 1838. They have four children, Jennie E., Lucy A., Robert L. and, Thomas H, all living at home in Portage City. Mr. C. also made another village plat, Oct. 23, 1876. The village is having a healthy growth. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

J. T. Cogan
J. T. COGAN, editor, Montello. Was born in this place in 1855. His boyhood days were spent in attending school. In 1871, he entered the Montello Express office as an apprentice under Pease & Goodell. He has worked in that office since 1871. In 1879, he became one of its proprietors, under the firm name of Bissell & Cogan. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

John A. Conant
JOHN A. CONANT (Rep.) was born in Weyauwega, Aug. 7, 1887. He was educated in the country schools, graduated from the Eagle River high school and the University of Minnesota, studied law, was admitted to the bar and took up the practice of his profession in Westfleld, Marquette county. He served as district attorney for Marquette county from 1916 to 1919, when he resigned to assume his seat in the senate. He was elected to the senate in 1918, without opposition, after having won the nomination in the primary election over Frank H. Hanson. [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919)]

Archibald Crawford
ARCHIBALD CRAWFORD, of the firm of Winkie & Crawford, lumber and farmers' produce, Westfleld. Was born in Henryville, Canada East, Aug. 9, 1855. He came West with his parents in 1861, and settled at Oxford, Marquette Co. He lived there twelve years with his parents on a farm, and then followed teaching for four years; after which he learned telegraphy at Westfield. He entered the office, April, 1878, and after learning the art he was employed as agent at Bancroft, White River, and at Westfield, for about two years. He finally resigned his position and began business for himself. He was married, Aug. 25, 1879, to Elizabeth A. Lawson. They have two children, Elva I., and Edith B. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Samuel Crockett
SAMUEL CROCKETT, general merchandise, Westfield. Was born in Manchester, England, May 10, 1821. He came to America in 1843, and settled in Oneida Co., N. Y. In 1849, he went to Wisconsin, and remained a few months, and returned to New York City. In 1850, went to Easton, Pa., and in Fall, 1851, to Stewardsville, N. J., where he lived until March. 1856. He followed his trade of tailor in the above cities. He was married in the latter place in September, 1852. He moved to Wisconsin, and settled at Westfield, April 19, 1856, and has since resided there. He was a member of the Legislature in 1877. He has served as County Coroner sixteen years. He went to Europe in Summer of 1874, to visit to the city of his nativity. While abroad, he visited Scotland, France and Belgium, and returned home in the Fall of 1874. He is one of the early pioneers of Marquette County, and the country on every hand was a comparative wilderness at the time of his settlement. Mrs. Crockett's maiden name was Eliza Snyder. She was born in Stewardsville, N. J., June 1, 1818. They have one son living, named George B., born Oct. 9, 1858, in Westfield. He is a graduate of the Oshkosh Business College, and assists his father in their store. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Mark Derham
MARK DERHAM, farmer and speculator, Montello. Was born in the County of Sligo, Ireland, about 1829. He worked with his father on a farm till he was eighteen, then commenced in the mercantile business for himself, and continued in it till he came to America, in February, 1847. Stayed in New Jersey two years. Then came to Marquette County in September, 1849, and settled on 200 acres on Sec. 21. Remained on it six years, then moved into the American House at Montello, and ran it twelve years. In 1866, he was elected County Treasurer, and re-elected to that office in 1868-70. Has been Chairman of his town twelve years, and is at present Chairman of the village. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Martin G. Ellison Jr.
MARTIN G. ELLISON. Jr., County Clerk of Marquette Co., Moundville. Was born in England, in 1841. His father, Martin G. Ellison, was born in England, March 8, 1808. He was an engraver by trade, and followed it through life. In 1849, he with his family came to Marquette County, and settled on 120 acres, town of Moundville. He afterward went to Dover, N. H. He died in Moundville, Jan. 5, 1878. Our subject remained on the farm and helped to improve it, and has now 500 acres of land, 200 of which are improved. In 1853, he went to Dover, N. H., and entered the Dover Academy, where he remained five years. He then returned to Moundville; in January, 1862. He enlisted in Co. E, 2d Wis. Cavalry. He was captured near Yazoo, Miss., Dec. 1, 1864; was exchanged in March 1865, joined his regiment and was mustered out at Austin, Texas, Nov. 16, 1865. He returned home, and in the Fall of 1876, was elected County Clerk, and re-elected to that office in 1878 and 1880. He is now drawing pension from Government.

William & John Ennis
WILLIAM & JOHN ENNIS, proprietors of the Fountain House, Montello, are the second and fifth sons of John and Mary Ennis, who were born in Ireland in 1804 and 1816. In 1840, the parents came to Kingston, Canada, then to Marquette County, and settled on Sec. 36, town of Buffalo, in October, 1849. William was born in Ireland, Aug. 20, 1839. His early life was spent on a farm with the rest of the family. By strenuous efforts, he succeeded in obtaining an education which fitted him for teaching, which occupation he followed for several years, in connection with his farm labors. He has been Chairman of his town, and held various local offices. John J. was born in Canada, June 17, 1843. His younger days were spent in labor on their farm. In the Fall of 1862, he enlisted, with his brother Thomas, in Co. G, 32d Wis. V. I.; shortly after leaving the State, and at Jackson, Tenn., Thomas died. John served with his gallant regiment in all its victories and defeats. In the early part of their service, they were in Tennessee and Mississippi. They were finally transferred to the Army of the Cumberland, and served with Sherman in his memorable Atlanta campaign. From 1865 to 1870, he was agent for the Dodge County Insurance Company. He was the only licensed auctioneer in the county. William and John have been intimately associated in business from boyhood. In the Fall of 1878, they bought out and took charge of the Fountain House, which, in connection with their 1,200-acre farm, receives their time and attention. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

George Perry Flannery
George Perry Flannery is a lawyer at Minneapolis. Mr. Flannery parents were humble people; both were born in Ireland and came to this country in the forties. They settled in Connecticut and were married in that state in 1849. The same year they removed to Wisconsin and located on a farm in Marquette County, where they remained until the spring of 1855, when they removed to Rice County, Minnesota. Mr. Flannery was then about two years old and came to this state in a covered wagon drawn by oxen. His father's name was Michael Flannery, a native of the County of Kilkenny, and his mother's maiden name was Katharine Flynn. Her birthplace was in the County of Longford, Ireland. The subject of this sketch was born in Marquette, Wisconsin, February 12, 1852, and was the second child of the family. His first schooling was received in one of the primitive log schoolhouses then common on the frontier. In the fall of 1867 George P. Flannery entered the high school in Faribault and continued there two years, when he went to Shattuck Hall, at Faribault, and was a pupil in that school until May, 1871. When he left his father's farm in the fall of 1867 he undertook to provide for himself by teaching school, and working for the farmers during the harvest season. While he was a pupil at Shattuck the teacher of mathematics gave extra time and instruction to Flannery and two other boys, and as a result they finished with the class which started two years ahead of them. George P. Flannery had determined to be a lawyer, and it was his good fortune to get into the office of Batchelder & Buckham, at Faribault, in May, 1871. He read law there and continued with them until April, 1874, with the exception of such intervals as it was necessary for him to teach and do other work for his own support. He recalls now, with no little pleasure, that the first money he never earned was received for one months's work driving oxen and harrowing in wheat. He was admitted to the bar in Faribault in 1873, and the supreme court in 1874. In the latter year he went to Dakota Territory and settled in Bismarck, where he formed a law partnership with Josiah De Lamater, then district attorney, which partnership continued under the name of Dc Lamater & Flannery until the spring of 1877, when Mr. De Lamater returned to Ohio. Soon after going to Bismarck, and although a young attorney, Mr. Flannery was appointed attorney for the Northern Pacific Railroad and held that position until June, 1887, when he came to Minneapolis. In 1875 he was appointed assistant United States attorney for Dakota and held that position for two years. In 1877 he was appointed city attorney for Bismarck and during that year, in connection with the town site commission settled and adjusted the claims to all the lots contained in the original town site of Bismarck. He held the office of city attorney for three successive terms, beginning in 1877, and was again appointed to the same office in 1883. In 1879 he formed a partnership with John K. Wetherby, which continued five years, when Mr. Wetherby retired on account of failing health. Then came the great fight for the capital of the Territory of Dakota in the year 1883, and Mr. Flannery was selected by his townsmen to represent the city of Bismarck and make her bid for the honor of being the seat of territorial government. He was successful and the capital was removed from Yankton to Bismarck. In 1883 congress created the Sixth judicial district and Mr. Flannery was appointed attorney of that district by Governor Ordway and held that position until the law was changed and the office of district attorney became that of country attorney. In 1884 he was elected president of the bar association of the Sixth district of Dakota Territory. The same year he formed a partnership with E. C. Cooke, with whom he is now associated in business. In 1883 he was made a member of the board of education in Bismarck and held that office until June 1887, being president of the board the last two years. In 1885 he was elected county attorney of Burleigh County and held that office until he left Dakota. In June 1887, he came to Minneapolis and formed a partnership with H. G. O. Morrison and E. C. Cooke, the style of the firm being Morrison, Flannery & Cooke. This partnership continued for, three years, when Mr. Morrison withdrew. Mr. Flannery has been engaged in the practice of law since May 1, 1874, thirteen years in Dakota, and the rest of the time in Minneapolis. He has been engaged in most of the important litigation carried on in that part of Dakota Territory which now constitutes the state of North Dakota. He has always been a Republican. Was one of the alternates to the national convention in Cincinnati in 1876, and has held the office of chairman of the Republican committee of Burleigh county. Since coming to Minneapolis he has enjoyed a large practice and has attained a prominent position in the bar of this city. He was married in 1876 to Alice Greene, and has four children, Charles S., Henry C., Marguerite and Alice. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

George Perry FLANNERY,  Minneapolis. Res 2416 Blaisdell, office 809 N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. Born Feb 12, 1852 in Marquette county Wis, son of Michael and Catherine (Flynn) Flannery. Went to Bismarck Dak in 1874 as atty for N P Ry; remained and practiced law until 1887; asst U S atty for Dak 3 years; city atty for Bismarck 4 years; dist atty 6th judicial district Dak 2 years; pres Board of Education Bismarck 4 years; member Flannery & Cooke lawyers Minneapolis 1885 to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks]

Seloftus D. Forbes
SELOFTUS D. FORBES, editor Central Union, Westfield, settled at Sun Prairie, in 1848, with his parents, where they lived about one year, and then moved to Mayville, Dodge County. In 1860 he went to Marquette County and taught school; in August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. G, 32d Reg. Wis. Vol. I.; served about eighteen months in that regiment, going as sergeant and being promoted to second lieutenant; he resigned in December, 1863, on account of his health. He afterward re-enlisted in Fall of 1864, in Co. I, 1st Heavy Artillery, and at the organization he was appointed orderly sergeant, and was soon promoted to second lieutenant. He was mustered out at Alexandria, Va., June, 1865. He returned to Packwaukee. and lived there until 1867, when he went to Milwaukee, and was engaged on the staff of the Evening Wisconsin as commercial, news and associate editor, but on account of ill health he resigned his position and returned to Packwaukee and was principal of the Montello school in the Winter of 1870-71; in the Fall he was elected County Superintendent of Schools in Marquette County, where he served one term. He followed teaching Winters until 1877, and in the Spring he established his newspaper, as above noted. He was born in Medina Co., Ohio, May 12, 1836, and was married at Horicon, June 30, 1860, to Smilde E. Pond, who was born in Addison, Steuben Co., N. Y., June 12, 1840. They have five children—Annie E. Wilber E., Florence E., Clarence A., and Frederick L. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Chester Frink
CHESTER FRINK, farmer, Sec. 34. P.O. Packwaukee. Was born in Connecticut, in 1844. His parents are natives of the same State, and came to Marquette County and settled on their present farm in 1857. By hard labor and good management, they have secured one of the best farms in the county. They have 200 acres of fine land with excellent buildings. In October, 1880, the father of our subject died, being eighty-one years old. Chester assumed charge of the farm, and is the support of his aged mother who lives at the homestead with him. He has been Chairman of this town and held various local offices. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Caleb F. Fuller
CALEB F. FULLER, Postmaster, Westfield, was born in Smithfield, R. I., Feb. 2, 1829. He settled in Newton Township, Marquette Co., in 1856, and lived there about three years and followed farming. He was elected Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, and moved to Montello in 1860; he held the office four years. In 1863, he erected a woolen mill at Harrisville, and moved there January, 1865, where he lived until 1874. He made the first cloth manufactured in the county on a power loom. He moved to Westfield afterward, and has lived there since. He was appointed Postmaster Feb. 19, 1881. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Charles S. Kelsey
CHARLES S. KELSEY (Rep.)---P.O. address Montello, Marquette county, was born October 7, 1822, in Perry, Wyoming county, N. Y.; had a common school and partial academic education; is a mechanic; came to Wisconsin in 1833 and settled at Racine, removing to Montello the next year; was state senator from 1861 to 1864; was commissioner for first draft for Marquette county; deputy warden of the state prison in 1869, '70 and '71; member of assembly in 1867 and 1873; was elected assemblyman for 1880, receiving 583 votes against 521 for Chester Frink, Democrat, and 34 for Robert McMillan, Greenbacker, and 263 for W. H. Peters, Independent Democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]

Philo Lackey
PHILO LACKEY, manufacturer of wagons, carriages and sleighs and dealer in agricultural implements, Westfield, settled in Newton, Marquette Co., in 1853; lived there about five years and followed farming and carpenter work. He then moved to Westfield and lived until 1861, following carpenter and wagon work. He enlisted in December, 1862, in Co. A. 34th Reg. Wis. V. I., and served until the close of his term of enlistment, which was nine months and twenty days, and was mustered out in Fall of 1863 at Milwaukee. His health was impaired in the army, and he was sick for some time. On being able to resume labor he built the Westfield House, etc., and kept hotel about four years, or until 1869. He sold his hotel and visited the States of Missouri and Kansas in November and December, 1869, remaining a short time. In 1870, he returned to Westfield; visited Northern Wisconsin now on the line of the Central Wisconsin R. R. Took the first homestead in Hull Township, Marathon Co. He soon gave up his claim and bought the lots he now occupies. In 1872, he erected his blacksmith and wagon shops. In 1881, he built another shop in connection with his increasing business. He was born in Staubridge, Lower Canada, Jan. 27, 1830. He was married in Waukesha County, May 2, 1852, to Mary Stuart, born in Vermont, June 14, 1828. They had six children—named Araminta C, married to E. W. Lowe, and living in Minnesota; Ada L., married to George A. Whitney, living in Minnesota ; Thomas H, B., also married and living in Minnesota; Lillian F., married to Mr. Samuel E. Smart, and living in Minnesota ; William H., assisting his father; Zelia M., at home. Mrs. L. died March 3, 1875, and he was again married Oct. 21, 1875, to Miss Jane Stuart, a sister of his first wife. She was born in Canada East, May 29, 1850. Mr. Lackey was elected Sheriff of his county in the Fall of 1877, and served one term. He has also been Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, etc. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Ernest Mares
Although this gentleman is actively engaged in the pursuit of agriculture in Howe township and is recognized as an early settler of that locality, who is now conducting an extensive farm, he is also well known as the president of the State Bank of Wheatland. He has resided in Cass county for over twenty years and his active participating in public affairs and excellent business qualifications have placed him among the favorably known citizens of the locality. Our subject was born in Marquette county, Wisconsin, April 24, 1862. His parents, Rovert and Hattie (Mason) Mares, were natives of Toronto, Canada, and New York respectively. His father was born in 1835 and when three years of age went with his parents to Kalamazoo, Michigan, and grew to manhood in that state and about 1849 moved to Wisconsin, and in 1862 to Winona county, Minnesota. He remained there until 1882 and then went to Cass county, North Dakota, and entered a preemption to a quarter-section of land on section 12, of Howe township, where he now resides. Two sons, Richard and our subject, and one daughter, now Mrs. Boyd of North Dakota, were born to this worthy couple. The father is prominent in affairs of a public nature and has filled numerous local offices. Our subject was reared and educated in Minnesota and learned the blacksmith’s trade. He went to Cass county, North Dakota, in 1880 and located in Howe township, on section 12, and purchased section 13. He has followed farming successfully since his settling in North Dakota.  Mr. Mares was married in 1894, to Lena Lenz, a native of Wisconsin. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Mares: Grace I., Fred and Robert. Mr. Mares is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is grand marshal of the Grand Lodge of that order. Politically, he is a Democrat and an earnest worker for the principles of his party and has served as secretary of the eleventh district. [Source: COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY. Transcribed by Carol Eppright]

Richard A. Mares
RICHARD A. MARES, cashier of the above named bank, has ably managed the affairs of the institution, and is a gentleman of excellent ability, and connected with various financial interests in that locality.  Mr. Mares was born in Marquette county, Wisconsin, February 23, 1857, and was one of three children, two sons and one daughter, born to Robert and Hattie (Mason) Mares, natives, respectively, of Michigan and New York. His father was a farmer by occupation, and settled in Wisconsin in an early day, and in 1863 removed to Winona county, Minnesota, and in 1883 located in Cass county, North Dakota, and is at present a resident of Wheatland.  Our subject was reared and educated in Minnesota, and there learned the blacksmith’s trade, which he followed in Minnesota some time, and in March, 1879, went to Fargo, North Dakota, and from thence soon afterward to Bismarck, where he worked for the Bismarck Transportation Company. He returned to Cass county and located on a claim in Homes township, which he still owns, and farms two and a half sections of land. He is also interested in the general merchandise business and the Wheatland Implement Company, both of Wheatland, and in every enterprise in which he has engaged success has met his efforts, and he is now one of the solid men of North Dakota.  Mr. Mares was married in Ionia county, Michigan, in 1890, to Miss Alice Spaulding, a native of Michigan. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Mares, as follows: Montie and Edna. Mr. Mares is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically, he is a Democrat, and is firm in his convictions. He is highly esteemed by his fellow men, and deservedly so. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

Edward McCaffrey
EDWARD MCCAFFREY, landlord, Montello, was born in Massachusetts in 1833. His early life was spent in one of the large cloth manufactories of his native State. In 1850 he came to Packwaukee. He secured a farm there, and continued to farm it till 1875, when he moved to Montello and bought the American House, and has continued its gentlemanly and obliging landlord ever since. In 1861 he associated with him Wm. C. Rood, and bought the steamer "Lady Jane," and ran it, for three years, between Portage and Green Bay, carrying as high as 60,000 bushels of wheat a year, besides general freighting. He has held various local offices, and been Chairman of Packwaukee nearly fifteen years. He owns a farm on Sec. 9, Packwaukee, of 520 acres. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

James F. McDowell
JAMES F. McDOWELL (Rep.) was born in Packwaukee, Wis., May 27, 1862. He was educated in the common schools, the Oshkosh Normal and the Northern Indiana Normal at Valparaiso, Ind.; taught in the public schools for four years and served as county superintendent of schools in Marquette county for three terms, from Jan. 1, 1895 to 1901, He spent four years in South Dakota buying grain. He purchased a farm in Packwaukee in 1892 where he lived until the spring of 1914 when he retired and moved to Montello. From Jan. 1, 1915 to Jan. 1, 1919, he served as deputy clerk of the circuit court of Marquette county. He was elected to the assembly in 1918, receiving 1,611 votes as against 991 for J. W. Kelly (Dan.). [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919)]

A. M. Morrill
A. M. MORRILL, trader, Montello, was born in Essex Co., Vt., in 1811. His early life was spent on a farm. When nineteen years old he clerked in a store awhile, then went to Massachusetts, upon a railroad, then went back to Vermont, in the mercantile business for himself, and continued in that till he came to Wisconsin, in 1848. He settled at Prairie du Sac. in Sauk County, and went into the mercantile business, which he followed till he bought an interest in a flouring mill. That burned, and he lost nearly all his means. He then went to West Canada, and engaged in boring oil wells. From there he went to Madison, and, in 1872, came to Montello, and entered mercantile business. In 1854 or '55 he was one of the stock-holders of, and helped to build, the bridge across the Wisconsin River, at Prairie du Sac. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

S. A. Pease
HON. S. A. PEASE, lawyer, Montello, was born in the town of Spafford, Onondaga Co., N. Y., Feb. 23, 1817. At the age of seventeen he went to the village (now city) of Auburn, and attended school there till the age of twenty. In the Spring of 1836 he came West, coming to Buffalo on the canal, thence by steamboat to Detroit, then by a new stage line to Laporte, Ind., where he remained till January, 1837, when he came to the town of Salem, Kenosha Co., where he remained till 1849. While in Kenosha he studied medicine with his brother-in-law. Dr. Paddock. He is a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago. In June, 1850, he came to Marquette County and commenced the practice of medicine at Packwaukee. In 1859, moved to Oxford, and commenced publishing the Marquette Express, in connection with his profession, till 1862, when he moved to Montello, and continued his practice, in connection with the publishing of the Montello Express till 1875 when he disposed of that paper. In 1856, while Marquette and Green Lake counties were one, he was elected County Treasurer. In 1865-6-9 and 70 he was a member of the Wisconsin Assembly. In 1866 he was a delegate to the Philadelphia Convention. In 1868, was a delegate to the National Convention, at New York, that nominated Seymour for President; and, again, a delegate to the Democratic National Convention at Baltimore, that nominated Greeley for President. In 1861 he commenced the practice of law, though he had studied and practiced it before commencing the study of medicine. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

S. A. PEASE, Montello, was born in Spafford, Onondaga county, New York, February 23, 1817, and received an academic education at Auburn. He came west in 1837, and settled in Kenosha county, whence he removed to Marquette county in 1850. He was county treasurer in 1857 and 1858, and member of the assembly for four years, beginning in 1865 and ending in 1872. In 1868 he was delegate to the democratic national convention in New York, which nominated Horatio Seymour and Francis P. Blair for President and Vice-president. In 1858 he became proprietor and editor of the Marquette Express, then published at Oxford. In 1862 the publication of the paper was changed to Montello, and the name to Montello Express. It continued under his management until 1873, when he retired from the editorial field and devoted himself to his profession, which is that of the law. While a member of the legislature he served on important committees, and was active in promoting useful legislation. He was appointed by Governor Fairchild a member of the state visiting committee. He is a man of liberal views and actively interested in all measures designed to promote the public welfare. His office is a favorite resort of all classes of the community in which he lives, and is, in fact, the political and general headquarters for information for the county. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio]

W. H. Peters
JUDGE W. H. PETERS, lawyer, Montello, was born at Summerhill, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Nov. 26. 1825. Till seventeen years old, he worked on a farm, then worked on the Erie Canal till '48, when he came to Wisconsin. He stopped at Milwaukee a short time, then with his family came to Montello, forded the Fox, and proceeded to Packwaukee and settled on a farm on Sec. 15. He read law with E. B. Kellsie, and was admitted to the Bar in September, 1857, Judge Charles H. Larribee presiding. He and Capt, Walker formed a law partnership and opened an office in Harrisville, hanging out the first shingle in the county. In '58, he was elected District Attorney, the first one in the county. In 1860, was elected County Judge; in'78, was elected to the Assembly. Since that time he has been engaged in the practice of his profession and farming. He has a farm of 177 acres of fine land, which is bounded on three sides by lakes. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

William Phillips
WILLIAM PHILLIPS, insurance and real estate, Westfield, settled in Waukesha in 1844, and lived there about seventeen years, two years of which he was engaged as jobber in timber. He then moved to Oshkosh, and lived there until 1850; from there he went to Wrightstown, Brown Co. In the Spring of 1853, he moved from the place, but returned and spent the Winter of 1854-55, and in March he went to Beloit, and was there married, March 15, 1855. He then moved to Marquette County, and has since lived there. He followed jobbing in timber until 1864; then he embarked in the mercantile business, keeping a general store. He continued in that for eight years, and met with the loss of his store, goods and dwelling, including all his personal effects, by fire, since which time he has been engaged as noted above. He was ordained a minister of the Free Baptist, in April, 1873, and was a pastor of that denomination six years. He was born Cayuga Co., N. Y., May 10, 1827. Mrs. Phillips's maiden name was Isabella Watson; she was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, Oct. 8, 1831. They have three children—Frank W., born Aug. 12, 1856, and now married and living in Chicago; Merritt W., born Aug. 13, 1858, now a student at Ripon College, and George W., born Nov. 9, 1860, now fireman on the railroad at Monroe. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Henry R. Roberts
HENRY R. ROBERTS, of the firm of E. Roberts & Sons, hardware, Westfield, was born in Friendship, Adams Co., Jan 31, 1856. He lived with his parents until August, 1877, at which time he moved to Westfield, and began the business in which he is now engaged. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

S. R. Rood
JUDGE S. R. ROOD, Montello, was born in Washington Co., Vt., in 1820. He had only the advantages of a common school, with the exception of four terms at a select school. In '44, he moved to Janesville; remained there till September, 1848, when he went to Stanton. In '51, went to Packwaukee; in '54, was elected to the Assembly; in '57, was deputized County Treasurer, and moved to Marquette County; remained there till the division in the county in *58, when he moved to Montello. In the Fall of '58, was elected County treasurer; in '65, was elected County Judge, and again in '69. Has been Chairman of the County Board three years in succession, and held various local offices. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Ash Spencer
ASH SPENCER, merchant, Montello, was born in Lewis Co., N. Y., in 1836. At the age of fourteen, he commenced running a grocery store. In 1854, he, with his parents, came to Wisconsin and settled at Marquette. His parents soon after returned East, while our subject remained and engaged in the lumber business. In a few years he bought out his employer and conducted the business for himself five years. At that time Marquette was the most lively town in the county, and Mr. Spencer has sold 1,500,000 feet of lumber a year. He also carried on a general merchandise business in connection with it. In the Winter of 1864-5, he was at Nashville in the Quartermaster's department. In '77, he disposed of his lumber and bought the Lake House at that place and ran it till the Spring of '81, when he moved to Montello and opened a store at the old stand of Perkins, Newhall & Perkins. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Samuel Tanner
SAMUEL TANNER (Dem.), of Westfield, Marquette county, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, May 1, 1842; received a common school education and is a farmer by occupation; came to Wisconsin in 1854, settling at Westfield, where he still resides; was town clerk in 1871, and was elected member of assembly for 1882 and re-elected for 1883, receiving 1,673 votes against 1,086 for W. N. Johnson, republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) page: 484; transcribed by Tammy Clark]

Jared W. Taylor
Jared W. Taylor, one of the influential men of Barron, and since 1901 its mayor, has been identified with the town since the beginning of his business career and has been a potent factor in its upbuilding.  A native of Wisconsin, Mr. Taylor was born at Oxford, Marquette county, Dec. 11, 1856, the son of Henry H. and Martha E. (Emerick) Taylor. The mother, who is still living at Oxford, was born in New York, but her parents were among the early pioneers of Walworth county, Wis., and she was reared there. Henry H. Taylor, who was also born in New York, came much later to Wisconsin, settling at Lake Geneva, in 1845, where he practiced law, working on his farm and did carpentering, thus combining as so many pioneers were compelled to, several occupations. In 1849 he moved to Oxford, where he settled on wild land but soon had a good farm improved. Oxford at that time was little more than a name, with no railroad connection nearer than Milwaukee. Mr. Taylor served as justice of the peace and notary public, did most of the legal business for the community for many years and enjoyed the entire confidence of the people. Always active for the Republican party, he was prominent in local politics, several years filled clerical positions in the State senate, and was once a candidate for a seat in that body. His death, which occurred in 1882, was an untimely one, for he was but fifty-six years old at the time.
Jared W. Taylor attended the public schools at Oxford and then remained at the home farm until 1884. He and a brother than located at Barron, where they built a flouring mill, the first men to utilize the water power there. This mill, the first roller mill in Northern Wisconsin, has continued under Mr. Taylor’s ownership ever since and at present has a capacity of 100 barrels of flour a day. For a few years he also conducted a general store in Barron and did an extensive trade.
Mr. Taylor has always been an enthusiastic and active worker in the Republican ranks and has acted as delegate to several senatorial and congressional conventions. In 1896 he was elected city treasurer of Barron for a term of two years and in 1901 became mayor of the city. The following year he was re-elected for two years more, a most flattering proof of the esteem in which his fellow-citizens held him. His outside interests, however, were not confined to politics, and he is prominent in fraternal circles also; since 1876 he has been a member of the I.O.O.F., helped to organize an encampment at Barron and for eight successive years has been a delegate to the grand lodge of Wisconsin. He is also a member of the M.W.A.
Mr. Taylor was married in November, 1881, to Miss Hannah E. Ross, the daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Ross, of Washington county, Wis. Three sons and one daughter have been born to this union: Henry Ross, Mildred, Lawrence and Sherman. The family is connected with the Methodist Church. In all relations of life Mr. Taylor holds the confidence of the community, an honor he has fairly earned by his probity, his ability and well-directed energy. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]

Townsend W. Whitson
TOWNSEND W. WHITSON, farmer. Sec. 28, P. O. Packwaukee. Was born in New York City, July 2, 1848. He is a son of Abraham U. and Hannah C. Whitson, who were born on Long Island, in 1810. The family spent five years in New York City previous to coming to Wisconsin, in August, 1851. They settled on their present place and began active operation for making a home. They now have over 250 acres of fine land, 140 acres of which are improved and under a high state of cultivation with fine buildings upon it. Mr. Whitson died in October, 1879, and the splendid farm he left is a monument to his untiring energy. His widow is still living with her son Townsend, who has charge of the farm. He has been on the farm since its settlement, with the exception of the time he was attending the Portage Business College, from which be received a diploma. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]


Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails