History of Monroe County,
Past and Present
Including an account of the Cities, Towns and Villages of the County
Editor-In-Chief: Randolph A Richards
1912 C. F. Cooper & Co.
page 66 to 78
In the year 1849 a state road was opened between Prairie du Chien and Hudson, which were at that time trading points, passing through the place where Sparta now is and going around by the way of Black River Falls and Clear Water, which afterwards became Eau Claire. A little later on a road was opened between Portage and LaCrosse, following an old Indian trail, affording a way of travel to the settlements of western Wisconsin, which before that time were only reached by way of the rivers. At that time there was no post office nearer than Prairie du Chien, but with the opening of the highways post offices were established at Black River Falls, LaCrosse and several other points. About that time the division of Western Wisconsin into counties began to take place; Crawford county, which comprised the whole of Western Wisconsin, was set off with Prairie du Chien as the county seat, and out of this territory were carved, at different times, other counties, by the various acts of the legislature.
Originally, in 1849 LaCrosse county comprised all the territory included in its present limits and that of Monroe, Jackson, Trempeleau and Buffalo counties: settlements being rapid in the next few years and the inhabitants somewhat "crowded" as they thought, in 1853, upon application to the legislature. Jackson county was set off. and in 1854 Trempeleau, Buffalo and Monroe counties were established and detached from LaCrosse county. Like all movements looking towards progress there was opposition to the organization of Monroe county right here at home, but nevertheless in March 1854, a bill creating the county of Monroe passed the legislature, was approved by the Governor March 21st, published March 24th, thereby becoming a law, and Monroe county was placed upon the map. Why it was named Monroe is not known, but that its subsequent history justified its bearing the name of that sturdy patriot, James Monroe, the fifth president of the United States, no one can doubt.
While this bill was pending in the legislature there was a lively struggle between the residents of Leon and Sparta as to which place should be named as the county seat. The argument of the Spartans prevailed, however, and the bill creating the county named Sparta as the county seat. This bill prescribed that all that portion of the county of LaCrosse situated and being in range one east, and ranges one, two, three and four west of township fifteen, sixteen, seventeen and eighteen be set off and organized into a separate county, to be known and designated by the name of the county of Monroe.
It further provided that an election should be held in the county of Monroe on the first Tuesday of the following April, and the polls should be opened in all precincts established on or before the first Tuesday of April; that the vote should be canvassed and returns made thereof to the clerk of the board of supervisors of the town of Leon, who should canvass the same as prescribed by law for the canvass of votes for county officers, and should issue certificates to such persons as received the greatest number of votes for the offices respectively for the town and county officers. That there should be elected at such election a county judge, who should hold his office until the first day of January in the year one thousand eight hundred fifty-eight, and until his successor was elected and qualified. There should also be elected three town supervisors, one to be designated as chairman of the board, who should also be the board of county supervisors. That at such election should also be elected a sheriff, a clerk of the court, clerk of the board of county supervisors, a register of deeds, surveyor and coroner and all other county officers required for the due organization of the county for county and judicial purposes. It also provided that the county of Monroe should consist of one town and the board of supervisors should be the board of county supervisors, and that the said board of county supervisors should have to divide the county into three or more towns at any regular meeting of the board, and also provided that the county seat should be located at the village of Sparta, in the town of Leon. All writs, processes, appeals, suits, indictments, recognizances and other proceedigs whatsoever then pending or thereafter commenced, or pending before the Monday next after the first Tuesday of April next, in the county or circuit court of the county of LaCrosse, should be prosecuted to the final judgment, order or decree, might be carried into effect and enforced in like manner as if the counties of LaCrosse and Monroe were constituted one county; and all executions, writs, processes or other proceedings may be directed and carried into execution and effect as such court shall direct any law on the contrary notwithstanding.
At the election held in April pursuant to this act, seventy votes were cast for the entire county, and K. J. Casselman, Loyd Angle and Peter DeCoursey were elected as the town board of the town of Leon, and thereby became the first county board of supervisors of the county of Monroe. At that election the following county officers were elected: A. H. Blake, county judge; Ed. Walrath, sheriff; Wilber Fisk, register of deeds; John Barker, clerk of the court; Samuel Hoyt, county treasurer: A. H. Cornell, district attorney; E. E. Shaw, clerk of the board of supervisors. Wilber Fisk left the county soon after the election and E. S. Blake filled the vacancy in the office of the register of deeds until the appointment of R. S. Kingman, which occurred in January, 1855.
The county board held its first meeting on the 11th day of April, 1854. at which R. J. Casselman and Loyd Angle were present, and without doing anything the board adjourned to the 14th day of April, and on the 14th the board convened pursuant to the adjournment with R. J. Casselman and Loyd Angle present. The first item of business which was ever transacted by a county board of Monroe county was done at that meeting. The board very solemnly proceeded to pass the resolution to pay the exorbitant price of $12.50 to John Foster for the use of the hall in the "Globe Hotel" and for fuel for the same for one year in accordance with the agreement on file in the office of the clerk. At its next meeting, held on the 2d day of May, 1854, Fredrick A. Childs of Sparta was appointed county surveyor until a surveyor should be duly elected and qualified: there appearing to be little use for a coroner none was elected or appointed at that time.
Under the law as it then existed the county board consisted of the chairman of the board of supervisors of each town, and this prevailed up to the year 1861, when by chapter 129 of the laws of that year the entire system was changed and the board was made to consist of three electors; each county was divided into assembly districts, or if there were not three assembly districts, then into supervisor districts, and one supervisor elected for each district, and this system continued until 1870, when the legislature in its wisdom repealed the chapter 129 of the laws of 1861 and the original system was again adopted, which has ever since been in existence. The county board, made up as a rule of the most representative men in the county, and consists at the present writing of thirty-six members. As the interests of towns, cities and villages in the equalization of taxes and other matters have been important, the board has consisted in the past, and does at the present time, of strong and representative men, and during the past fifty-seven years it has had as members at different times most all the men who have been distinguished in their various communities in the county. The roster of several hundred names contains those of men who have done things in the upbuilding of the great agricultural, commercial, dairy and fruit growing prosperity and wealth of the county.
The first estate which came into the county court was that of one H. B. Hanshall, and the first record in that court was on the 2nd day of April, 1856, when the bond of the administratrix in the said estate was approved and recorded by George Gale, who was then county judge.
The first term of the circuit court was held at the village of Sparta beginning on the 18th day of September, 1854, the Hon. Hiram Knowlton, judge of the sixth judicial circuit, presiding, and sad to relate the first case which came before his honor was a divorce case in which Ellen Pendelbery was plaintiff and Abraham Pendelbery was defendant. The charge was for desertion for more than one year, to which the defendant made no defense and a decree of divorce was entered on that day by the court giving the care and custody of the minor children to the wife. The action was brought by Denison and Lyndes, attorneys for the plaintiff. At that time it appeared that the district attorney, who had been elected, had left the county and the court on the 18th of September appointed James I. Lyndes to act as district attorney for that term. Upon motion of Mr. Lyndes, Ellworth Lathrop, James Edswell and Carlton E. Rice were admitted as attorneys and counsellers at the law and solicitors in chancery. The first jury case was that of Samuel Hoyt vs. William Walbridge for trespass. A. Holdes was attorney for the plaintiff and Denison and Lyndes represented the defendant. The first jury ever empanelled in the county was drawn and consisted of the following citizens: J. C. Bean, John DeLaney, A. H. Blake, R. S. Kingman. Riley Roberts, Hiram Anderson, B. B. Jones, William Winters, S. Walrath, A. Fisk. William Kerrigan and J. F. Rathbun. Only one of this number is still living, J. F. Rathbun, who now resides at the city of Tomah. The plaintiff was successful and was awarded $50 damages.
The first county board practiced economy during the year, and at the meeting on March 26, 1855, the clerk's report shows a total of orders drawn on the county treasurer of $295.87: but soon the expenses began to multiply rapidly when the business affairs of the county were fairly launched. Salaries, court expenses, office rents for the various officers, fees of various kinds provided by law all combined to rapidly increase the tax rate. With the growth of the county business the board found it necessary to have a court house and jail. J. A. Dammon having made a plat of his first division to the village of Sparta, offered to donate block four for a location for the county buildings, and as a court house square. This was accepted by the county board March 6, 1855, and at the meeting held on the 5th of June of the same year the board voted an appropriation of not to exceed $600.00 for a county building. R. J. Casselman, John Foster and H. M. Sanford were appointed a building committee to draft plans, to receive bids and to cause the building to be erected as soon as possible. It was completed for occupancy in 1856, being a frame building containing the court room or hall, and part of the building was partitioned off for a jail. It stood in the middle of block four of Dammon's addition, being the one in which the house now owned by Lee Canfield is situated. Soon after its completion the building was leased to the school district for school purposes, when not in use for holding court; and on Sundays it was used by the Methodists as a church. There were no offices in the building, however, and the necessity of renting offices by the county board continued for several years. Mr. Dannnon in 1862 commenced an action against the county to recover possession of the court house site, claiming that the provisions of the deed had been violated as the building was being used for school purposes and for church purposes principally. A special session of the county board was called September 4, 1863 at which it was voted to pay the costs of the suit and settle the same by conveying the property back to Mr. Dammon which was subsequently done.
The block where the present court house stands, which had been dedicated as a park by William Pettit in 1852, was selected as the site for the county buildings, and pursuant to a resolution of the board at the November session in 1863, the court house and sheriff's dwelling were erected in 1865 at a cost of $22,500. This building was considered quite ample at the time and served the purposes very well until the growth in population and in the county's business made it necessary to erect more modern buildings. A modern brick jail was built in 1890 pursuant to a resolution of the county board, costing about $17,000, and in 1894 the board passed an ordinance providing for the building of a new court house, which was erected in 1895-96. It is a three-story stone building, with plain but handsome exterior of red sandstone, having good court rooms, a county board room, commodious offices for all the county officers, with ample vault room in all the offices where records are kept for a long time in the future. It is heated by steam, electric lighted and has all the modern conveniences with steel furniture in all the vaults. In
1871 the county being then divided into three districts for the care of the poor, the necessity of establishing a county institution where paupers could be cared for became apparent. At a session of the board in February that year a resolution was passed to purchase a farm for the purpose and a committee consisting of James Thomson, J. Caney, D. Homes, W. Woodard and J. B. Marsden, were appointed to carry it out. The committee reported at the November session the purchase of the farm of David Cole of 200 acres, situated in the town of Adrian, for the sum of $5,000. This continued to be used as the poor farm until 1899, but it being some distance from the county seat and the buildings being too small for the growing pauper population the county board authorized its sale, and in 1899 it was disposed of and another farm purchased just north of the city of Sparta, in the town of Sparta. In 1900 a brick home for the poor with modern conveniences was built upon this farm, costing about $11,000.
About this time there was considerable agitation with regard to building a county insane asylum, which finally culminated in 1901, when the county board decided to turn the poor house into a county insane asylum, which was done, and subsequently in 1902 a poor house was erected on another part of the farm. In 1909 the county board purchased the farm of Grant Rogers of 120 acres, which was adjacent to the farm owned by the county. Subsequently and in compliance with the requirements of the state board of control a separate building was erected in which was installed a modern steam heating plant. A large steel water tank, giving heavy pressure, was then erected which supplies the buildings with water and affords ample fire protection. So that at the present time this county owns a fine farm of 280 acres within a mile of the city limits of Sparta, which is equipped with modern conveniences, a home for the poor capable of housing in comfort thirty inmates, and with the heating plant and water system makes a most complete equipment, representing an investment of about $70,000, all of which is fully paid, and at the time of this publication the county is free from debt, a situation which reflects much credit upon the men who have in the past served on the county board and brought to bear upon the county's business all the careful thought and business acumen which they applied to their own business.
Not only has the county been fortunate in the building up of its own institutions, but through, the efforts of some of its citizens, backed up by natural advantages, one state and one government institution has been established within its borders—the state public school for dependent children, now located at Sparta, and the government Indian school, located near Tomah. In each instance there was a lively contest between several cities of the state for the location of those institutions; the competition was keen, but against great odds in the many advantageous offers from other places our citizens were victorious and landed the prizes. The state school being established at Sparta by an act of the legislature known as chapter 377, laws of 1885, and now consists of a central or administration building, with several detached cottages, and a hospital, a heating plant and baking plant, all situated on a farm of 165 acres, part of which lies within the limits of the city of Sparta.
The Indian school, established by the government at Tomah, situated on a farm donated by the citizens of Tomah and lying about two miles north of that city, consisting of several large buildings, including the administration building, superintendent's residence, dormitories for boys and girls, a heating plant, hospital and several farm buildings. In this institution Indian boys and girls are given education in the common branches and in addition to that girls are taught needle work and domestic. science, and the boys are instructed in farming, carpenter work and other useful occupations.
When the first settlers located in the valleys of the county there were but a few thousand people in the whole state of Wisconsin, and at the establishment of the county government in 1854 there were not more than 700 people in the entire county. The stream of immigration came rapidly, however, and in I860 the county had grown to a population of 8,000, and from that time forth it rapidly increased so that in 1870 it was 16,550; in 1880 it was 21,607; in 1890 it was 23,211; in 1900, 28,103; and in 1910, 28,888, so that the growth has been well distributed over the past years, has been normal and kept pace with the development of its resources. Its farming population is above the average in methods and intelligence as the wonderful increase in the dairy interests and the great progress made in the raising of small fruits will testify, each of which subjects is treated in another chapter. Its people as a rule are progressive in the matter of education and at the present time its school system is of the best; and several of the towns in the county have taken the initiative in that most important subject—the building of good roads. Especially is this true of the town of Sparta and through the enterprise of the officers of this town several miles of macadam highway have been constructed and the town has become well and favorably mentioned throughout the state as one which has been a pioneer in this movement.
The year 1911 has seen awakenings in some parts of the county with regard to the fact that its resources are as yet nowhere near fully developed, and through the experiments made by some of its progressive farmers and through the efforts of the Sparta Fruit Growers' Association a strong impetus has been given to the development of fruit lands not only for berries, but for the raising of apples. Experimental orchards, notably the one grown by Fred Muehlencamp in the town of Ridgeville, and that of J. W. Leverich, in the town of Angelo, have demonstrated beyond a question that a large portion of the ridge and valley lands are adapted to the raising of fall and winter apples and also several varieties of grapes. The prospects of the people of the county for the future seems doubly assured as the interests are varied, comprising cranberry culture, dairy interests, the raising of small fruits and bush berries, diversified farming and the prospects of the development in the years to come of the apple and the grape industries. With fertile ridge lands and its well watered valleys Monroe county gives promise of becoming one of the garden spots of the state of Wisconsin. In the official life of the county there have been many lively contests for the various offices, especially for those positions which until a few years ago paid fees. For many years the sheriff's office was a storm center of many political battles when the fees in one term of office were extremely large, which condition, however, the county board subsequently remedied by putting this office on a salary, as has been done with all the county offices: certainly a good business move much to the advantage of the taxpayers financially and with no detriment to the service rendered. The office of sheriff has been held by many well-known characters, among whom may be mentioned the names of Edward Walrath, one of the pioneer settlers ; C. W. McMillan, George B. Robinson, N. P. Lee, E. Bartels, E. R. Jones, A. J. Carnahan, Leo Vieth and many others, a complete list of which is given at the conclusion of this chapter. Perhaps the most remarkable record in this office is that of C. W. McMillan, who appears to have held it at different times for five terms, and at other times he served as deputy sheriff and under sheriff, which is a tribute to the popularity and political acumen of Mr. McMillan in his day.
The office of the county treasurer, county clerk and clerk of the court have been much sought after and held by many men prominent in the affairs of the county. The office of the county judge has been occupied by such men as Col. George Graham, of Tomah; C. M. Masters, of Sparta : S. W. Button, of Sparta, and the present incumbent. Col. R. B. McCoy, who has the honor of being elected for that office for four terms, beginning in 1898. The jurisdiction of this court in this county has never been enlarged to include civil and criminal matters, as has been the case in some counties in this state, but it consists of the administration of the estates of deceased persons, with authority to sentence officers who plead guilty of certain offenses, the examination and commitment of insane persons, and the appointment of guardians of minors and those who are incapable of managing their own affairs, and the commitment to state institutions in such cases as are provided by law. By a law passed by the legislature in 1910 and 1911 this court may hold terms at Tomah as well as at the county seat, and the third Tuesday of each month has been designated as the term day at Tomah when all matters may be heard.
There has been brought to the office of district attorney the service of many able lawyers in the county, beginning with that of L. W. Graves who served one term, beginning in 1861, and afterwards became well known as a brilliant and resourceful trial lawyer. It was also held by Romanzo Bunn, who became judge of the United States court for the Western district of Wisconsin; by J. M. Morrow. whose name even now is so well known throughout the state of Wisconsin and who served as circuit court judge of the sixth judicial circuit. Mr. Morrow held the office of district attorney for four terms at different times. David F. Jones served four terms as district attorney and later was appointed by President McKinley as United States district attorney for the western district of Wisconsin, which office he held at the time of his death.
The office of the register of deeds was and now is hotly contested for and has been held by such men as R. J. Kingman, A. H. Condit, W. G. Williams, James R. Lyon and others prominent in county affairs.
The following is a complete list of all the county officers from 1854 to 1911, giving the years in which they went into office and the length of time each served:
A. H. Blake, 1954-1959: W. W. Jackson, 1858-62: G. E. Pratt, 1862-66: George Graham, 1866-68: L. B. Noyes, 1868-70: T. D. Steele, 1870-78: C. M. Masters, 1878-86: W. M. Graham, 1886-90: S. W. Button, 1890-98: R. B. McCoy, 1898 to now.
E. Walrath, 1854-57: John Foster, 1857-59: W. C. McMillan, 1859-61: J. H. Allen, 1861-63: J. W. Gilman, 1863-65: C. W. McMillan, 1865-67: G. A. Fisk, 1867-69: D. B. Bon, 1869-71: L. Johnson, 1871-73: George B. "Robinson, 1873-75: C. W. McMillan, 1875-77: N. P. Lee, 1877-79: C. W. McMillan, 1879-81: E. Bartels, 1881-83: C. W. McMillan, 1883-85: E. R. Jones, 1885-87: C. T. Angle, 1887-89: E. R. Jones, 1889-91: James O'Connor, 1891-93: D. W. Fulmer, 1893-95: Henry Coome,. 1895-97: L. H. Conger, 1897-99: A. J. Carnahan, 1899-01: Leo Vieth, 1901-03: W. B. Cassels, 1903-05: H E. Falk, 1905-07: Charles Millard, 1907-09: George Henry, 1909-11: C. W. McFadden, 1900 ......
Samuel Hoyt, 1855-59: A A Rendall, 1859-61: L. S. Fisher, 1861-63: G. H. Ledyard, 1863-73: Francis Avery, 1873-81: W. F. Lee, 1881-85: H. H. Cremer, 1885-87: C. G. Heitman, 1887-91: C. D. Hall, 1891-93: George P Stevens, 1893-97: J. A. Mosher, 1897-01: W. A. Jones, 1901-05: A. L.. Fowlmader, 1905-09: E. F. Babcock, 1909 ....
L. S. Fisher, 1857-59: A. F. Childs, 1869-61: S. Aldrich, 1861-63: T. D. Steele, 1863-67: S. D. Hollester, 1867-69: James Lowry, 1869-71: S. D. Hollester, 1871-75: W. P. Palmer, 1875-77: J. E. Perry,k 1877-79: H. H. Cremer, 1879-81: O. C. Berg, 1881-83: T. L. Martin, 1883-87: J. P. Rice, 1887-91: H. H. Cremer, 1891-93: C. E. Heitman, 1893-85: G. Heitman, 1895-99: C. Sutherland, 1899-03: C. B. Drowabzky, 1903-07: T. R. Talbot, 1907 .....
CLERKS OF COURT
John Banker, 1854-57: F. B. Holden, 1857-59: Cyrus Centis, 1859-61: E. Nutting, 1861-63: L. B. Noyes, 1863-65: S. H. Stearns, 1865-71: Jacob Roid, 1871-73: S. H. Stearns, 1873-77: Joel Brown, 1877-79: S. H. Stearns, 1879-81: J. E. Perry, 1881-83: D. G. Williams, 1883-85: M. J. McOmber, 1885-87: I. R. Bryan, 1887-91: H. Euckhansin, 1891-85: Henry Graf, 1895-99: G. F Lillie, 1899-1903: Ole Jackson, 1903-11: O. H. Doxrud, 1911 ......
REGISTER OF DEEDS
Wilbur Fisk, 1855-57: R. S. Kingman, 1857-59: A. H. Condit, 1859-61: P. Rawson, 1861-63: M. A. Thayer, 1863-69: J. M. Tan, 1869-73: J. W. Cunan, 1873-77: W. G. Williams, 1877-81: J. R. Lyon, 1881-83: J. B. Adams, 1883-85: W. H. Jackson, 1885-89: C. A. Erickson, 1889-91: J. P. Rice, 1891-83: H. H. Sowle, 1903-95: John A. Sholts, 1895-99: C. H. Stevens, 1899-1903: T. C. Longwell, 1903-07: D. F. Davis, 1907-11: W. A. Holden, 1911 ......
A. B. Cornell, 1854-59: L. W. Graves, 1859-61: C. E. Rice, 1861-63: Romanzo Bunn, 1863-67: G. E. Prott, 1867-69: G. A. Richardson, 1869-71: J. M. Morrow, 1871-77: A. E. Bleekman, 1877-79: J. M. Morrow, 1879-85: D. F. Jones, 1885-91: R. A. Richards, 1891-93: D. F. Jones, 1893-95: George Graham, 1895-97: B. H. Hackett, 1897-99: H. C. Altizer, 1899-1901: B. H. Hackett, 1901 (died before taking office): Howard Teasdale, 1901-05: W. B. Naylor, Jr., 1905-09: T. P. Abel, 1909 ......
SUPERINTENDENTS OF SCHOOLS
M. R. gage, 1862-69: C. W. Kellogg, 1869-71: A. E. Howard, 1871-73: N. H. Holden, 1873-75: A. E. Howard, 1875-77: N. H. Holden, 1877-81: A. F. Brandt, 1881-87: J. P. Galiger, 1887-93: T. M. Bowler, 1893-85: A. A. Thompson, 1895-1901: G. H. Robertson, 1901-05: M. M. Haney, 1905 .......
Isaac Thompson 1854-57: F. A. Childs, 1857-59: A. D. Ingalls, 1859-61: L. E. Amidon, 1861-63: L. S. Ingalls, 1863-65: Webster Kenyon, 1865-67: O. R. Dahl, 1867-69: C. C. Miller, 1869-71: G. Spurier, 1871-73: A. S. Ingalls, 1873-79: A. B. Holden, 1879-91: W. Kenyon, 1881-83: E. Neuman, 1883-85: W. Kenyon, 1885-86: A. B. Holden, 1886-88: W. Kenyon, 188-96: H. Laurer, 1896-98: Alex McCaskey, 1898-1900: Fred Holden, 1900-19--, G. Schnider, ---------, F. Holden, ---------
C. P. McClure, 1859-61: C. W. McMillan, 1861-71: David Ben, 1871-74: George B. Robinson, 1875-77: C. W. McMillan, 1877-79: D. J. Enderby, 1879-81: C. W. McMillan, 1881-83: James O'Conner, 1883-87: E. R. Jones, 1887-89: C. Fangle, 1889-91: O. H. Doxrud, 1891-92: James O'Conner, 1892-85: D. W. Fullmer, 1895-97: H. Coome, 1897-99: L. H. conger, 1899-1901: A. J. Carnahan, 1901-03: Leo Vieth, 1903-05: W. B. Cassels, 1905-07: H. G. Falk, 1907-09: George Henry, 1909 ......
Monroe county since its organization has at different times been in a number of different senatorial districts, and this county has furnished the following senators:
John A. Chandler, of Sparta, in the sessions of 1865 and 1866; DeWitt C. Wilson, of Sparta, in the session of 1868; Adelbert E. Bleekman, of Tomah, in the sessions of 1882, 1883, 1885, 1887; H. W. Barker, of Sparta, elected in 1907 for a term of four years; Howard Teasdale, elected in 1910, now holding the office.
MEMBERS OF ASSEMBLY
For a number of years the county of Monroe was a part of the assembly district comprised of LaCrosse and Monroe counties, and that it was not until about 1861 that a member came from this county. A few years later the county was divided into two assembly districts, and afterwards into only one, which is the situation at the present time.
A list is here given beginning with the year in which a member appeared from Monroe county, and after each name will be found the year of the session or sessions at which each member served:
James H. Allen, Sparta, session of 1873: William J. Austin, Leon, session of 1881: William Y Baker, Oakdale, session of 1878: William A Barber, Warrens, session of 1882: Jesse Bennett, Sparta, session of 1869: Chauncey Blakeslee, Sparta, session of 1877: Adelbert E. Bleekman, Tomah, session of 1873: William H. Blyton, Sparta, sessions of 1883-85-89: Robert Campbell, Glendale, session of 1880: David D. Cheney, Sparta, session of 1871: D. W. Cheney, Sparta, session of 1891: Albert T. Colburn, Cataract, session of 1876: James D. Condit, Sparta, sessions of 1858-78-79: Harry Doxtader, Tomah, session of 1877: Lewis S. Fisher, Sparta, session of 1887: Miles LeRoy Hineman, Tomah, session of 1887: J. R. Hinckley, Tomah, session of 1883: Charles A. Hunt, Melvina, sessions of 1868-70: William W. Jackson, Tomah, sessions of 1863-75: Fredrick P. Johnson, Ontario, session of 1899: Steven B. Johnson, Tomah, sessions of 1867: David F. Jones, Sparta, sessions of 1897:Evan R. Jones, Sparta, session of 1901: John R. Jones, Leon, sessions of 1907-09: James R. Lyon, Glendale, session of 1889: Thomas L Martin, Wilton, session of 1895: Thomas McCaul, Tomah, session of 1874: John J. McKay, Sparta, session of 1860:Joseph M. Morrow, Sparta, session of 1862: John O'Brien, Wilton, session of 1881: Charles E. Quigg, Tomah, session of 1893: Carlton E. Rice, Sparta, session of 1864: John F. Richards, Tomah, session of 1872: Eli O. Rudd, Rudd's Mills, session of 1872: George P. Stevens, Tomah, sessions of 1903-05: Joseph M. Tarr, Tunnel City, session of 1865: Mason A. Thayer, Sparta, session of 1882: James Tormey, Tomah, session of 1891: George R. Vincent, Tomah. session of 1891: Levi Wallace, Oil City, session of 1885: Eli Waste, Sparta, sessions of 1874-75-80: Charles D. Wells, Tomah, session of 1876: DeWitt C. Wilson, Sparta, session of 1866.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.