Webster E. Brown
Brown, Webster Everett, a Representative from Wisconsin; born in Madison county, N. Y., July 16, 1851; went with his parents to Wisconsin in 1857, lived for a time in Columbia county, then in Portage county; attended the common schools and completed a preparatory course at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wis., and a business course at the Spencerian business college, Milwaukee, in 1870, and was graduated from the University of Wisconsin, at Madison, in 1874; went into the lumber business at Stevens Point, Wis.; in 1882 the business was transferred to Rhinelander; mayor of Rhinelander two terms; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-seventh, Fifty-eighth, and Fifty-ninth Congresses (March 4, 1901-March 3, 1907); resumed lumber business in Rhinelander, Wis. [Source: "A Biographical congressional directory From the 1st ( 1774) to the 62nd (1911) Congress"; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Webster E. Brown
A history of the growth and development of the commercial interests of northern Wisconsin, more especially of the city of Rhinelander, would not be complete without a mention of the enterprises, as well as the public improvements, with which the name of this gentleman has long been identified. Mr. Brown is a native of New York State, born July 16, 1851, near Peterboro, Madison county, the second son of Edward D. and Helen M. (Anderson) Brown, well- to-do people formerly of New York State, from which State they moved to Wisconsin in the spring of 1857. For a short time they made their home at the village of Newport, Columbia county, later moving to Hull township, Portage county, later to Stockton township, same county, and, still later to Stevens Point, where Mrs. Brown died in 1888. In 1894 the bereaved husband and his two daughters, May and Helen, moved to Rhinelander, and are now living in an elegant and comfortable home which he recently built. Few men are better known in the Upper Wisconsin Valley than Edward D. Brown, or more highly respected for honesty, integrity and thorough business capacity. They have eight children now living, namely: Anderson W., Webster E., Edward O., Walter D., Florence H, (now the wife of Judge Paul Brown, of Rhinelander), Isabell (wife of D. D. Planner, lumber dealer, Rhinelander), and May and Helen. Four of this family are graduates of the Wisconsin State University, Madison, and all attended this institution at some time
Webster E. Brown, the subject proper of this sketch, was about six years old when the family came to Wisconsin, and his elementary education was secured at the common schools of Portage county, after which, and while still in his boyhood, he attended a few months of each year for three years the university at Appleton, which was supplemented, in the spring of 1870, with a course of study at the Spencerian Business College, Milwaukee. In the fall of that year he entered the Wisconsin State University, at Madison, graduating from there with the class of '74. In the spring of the following year, he and his brother Anderson W., under the firm name of Brown Bros., opened up a lumber business a Stevens Point, another brother Edward O., joining them in 1880; the firm continued in business at Stevens Point until 1883. In 1875 they purchased a tract of land where Rhinelander is now located. In 1882 and 1883, they closed out their interests at Stevens Point and removed to Rhinelander, where they have since pursued a general lumber business. Their sawmill here has a capacity of one hundred thousand feet every ten hours, in addition to which they have a planing-mill, and other accessories necessary to a well-equipped lumber plant. In the fall of 1882 they platted the village of Rhinelander, our subject having charge of the village real estate, also of the manufacturing and sale of lumber produced by their mill. On January 1, 1890, the business of the brothers was incorporated, under the general laws of the State, as the Brown Brothers Lumber Co., of which company our subject is secretary. The Brown Bros. Lumber Co., are also owners of pine lands in Wisconsin and Michigan, and moreover are interested in coal mines in Tennessee. At one time they carried on a private banking business, known as E. D. Brown & Sons Bank, which was afterward merged into the Merchants State Bank of Rhinelander, of which they are directors. They are prominent among the active business men of Rhinelander, and by their energy, enterprise and influence have figured largely in making the city what it is. Like the father, the sons own handsome and pleasant homes.
The subject proper of these lines is a conservative and successful business man. He has always been identified with every movement tending to the advancement of the interests of his city. He was elected mayor of Rhinelander in the spring of 1894, and re-elected in the spring of 1895, on both occasions without opposition. He is an advocate of temperance, yet liberal in his views on the question, and believes in the enforcement of the law on that and all other kindred matters that have been so much legislated on. Politically a Republican, he is no office-seeker, but his friends have insisted in keeping him in incumbencies where his abilities can be best brought into use. He has been a member of the school board several years, and takes a great interest in educational matters; was chairman of the county board two years, and of the town board three years.
On December 26, 1877, Webster E. Brown and Miss Juliet D. Meyer were united in marriage. She was born in Philadelphia, Penn., and is a daughter of Richard and Martha P. (Phelps) Meyer, the former of whom was a native of Germany, and in early life was private secretary for Eastwick, Winans & Co., who built the first railroad from Moscow to St. Petersburg, Russia, for the government. When yet a young man he emigrated to America, locating in Philadelphia as a merchant, and there marrying. After a residence in the Quaker City of a few years, he came, in 1858, to Wisconsin, settling in Lancaster, Grant county, engaging in a mercantile and banking business, where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer were the parents of seven children, five of whom are yet living: Richard, Frederick P., Nettie E., Jessie M. and Mrs. Webster E. Brown. Mrs. Brown is an educated and refined lady, and a graduate, in 1875, of the Wisconsin State University, after which she taught in the high schools at Lancaster and Madison, Wis., two years. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been born seven children, five of whom are now living, to wit: Ralph D., Edna M., Dorothy, Richard M. and Allan D. Our subject is a member of the F. & A. M., No. 173, Rhinelander Lodge, and also of the K. of P. Lodge at Rhinelander. He and his amiable and accomplished life partner are prominently identified with the Congregational Church. Mr. Brown is a man of good physique, as well as forcible intellectual qualities, and is possessed of an active mind, and a frank and generous disposition, traits of character inherited by a worthy son from a worthy sire and ancestry. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Calvin Chafee, proprietor of a first-class livery stable in Rhinelander, Oneida county, is a native of New York State, born October 25, 1835, in Hulburton, Orleans county, of Scottish ancestry. Isaac Chafee, grandfather of our subject, was born December 26, 1768, perhaps in Scotland, but more probably, it is thought, in America; he was married in the latter country to Mary Burnside, born in the New England States. Nine children were the result of this union, viz.: Rufus, Adolphus, Mary, Isaac M. (1), Walter, Lucinda, Isaac M. (2), Lloyd and Isaac M. (3), of whom Isaac M. (1), Lucinda and Isaac M. (2) are deceased. The father of these, who was a musical instrument maker, died March 8, 1835, the mother in December, 1848.
Lloyd Chafee, father of Calvin, was born at Guildhall, Essex Co., Vt., May 12, 1812, and married Elizabeth Garnsey, who was born at Stamford, Conn., October 7, 1817, daughter of Ezra and Lanah (Bennett) Garnsey, natives of Connecticut, the father born April 12, 1780, the mother on March 11, 1787; they both died in New York State, he in 1857, she Febuary 3, 1856, the parents of twelve children, named respectively: Catherine, Rosetta B., Sarah A., Jesse H., Solomon S., James B., Phoebe S., Elizabeth, Samuel B., William H., Ezra M. and Leonard H. To Mr. and Mrs. Chafee were born fourteen children — Calvin, Emily M., Edward and Edwin (twins), Charles, Sarah, Emeline S., Franklin, Henry, Leonard, Ezra G., Lanah B., Rufus and Rosetta E. — nine of whom lived to maturity. In 1845 Lloyd Chafee brought his family to Wisconsin, and for one year he worked at his trade, shoemaking, at Watertown, Jefferson county, and then for eight years carried on agricultural pursuits on a farm near Oshkosh, after which he moved to Waushara county, passing the rest of his days on a farm there, at the same time working at his trade. He died in Waushara county, November 28, 1872, his wife surviving him until September 25, 1893. Mr. Chafee was a well-read man and well-informed on all topics, a leader among men, holding many local offices of honor and trust, and taking a wide interest in educational affairs. Socially, he was a member of the F. & A. M.
Calvin Chafee, the subject proper of these lines, who was ten years old when the family came to Wisconsin, received a fairly liberal education at the common schools of the period, and being the eldest in the family early in life commenced assisting his father in clearing the farms, so continuing until he reached his majority. He then worked in the lumber woods, winters, and running the river, summers, until his marriage, when he settled on his farm in Waushara county, which he successfully conducted till 1891, the year of his coming to Rhinelander, and engaging in his present prosperous livery stable business. In June, 1861, he was married to Miss Tamar E. Rozell, who was born October 30, 1841, in Tioga county, Penn., daughter of Hopkins D. and Catherine (Cooper) Rozell, the former of whom was a son of James Rozell, who in his younger days was a dyer, in later life a farmer, and was married to Lucia Byron, by whom he had five children: Hopkins D., Edwin, Alfred, William and Susan. The family came to Wisconsin in 1855. Hopkins D. Rozell was a native of Dutchess county, N. Y., born June 23, 1873, and died in Waushara county, Wis., January 6, 1891. He was a shoemaker by trade, and also followed farming. His wife, Catherine (Cooper) Rozell, was born in New York, in 1814, and died in February, 1894, in Wisconsin. To Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Chafee were born six children: Robert E. (now a druggist in Rhinelander), Catherine E. (married to William M. Weld, a farmer of Waushara county, Wis.), Frank H. (deceased at the age of three years), Leonard H., Letta (who died in infancy) and Charles E.
On November 21, 1863, Mr. Chafee enlisted in Company G, Thirtieth Wis. V. I., and received an honorable discharge September 20, 1865. His regiment served in the West, chiefly on detail duty, only one company at a time being stationed at any point. Our subject has been a Republican since the organization of the party, and held public offices of trust in Waushara county some twenty years. He has been an active Freemason for a long time, and is a member of the G. A. R. The entire family are identified with the M. E. Church. [Source: “Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno” 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Dewitt S. Johnson
Dewitt S. Johnson, the popular and courteous postmaster at Rhinelander, Oneida county, is a native of Wisconsin, born July 23, 1851, in the city of Appleton. William Johnson, father of our subject, was born July 27, 1811, at Philadelphia, Penn., and his earliest recollection was of life in Columbia county, in the same State, where he received such tuition as the country schools of that period afforded. His mother died when he was very young, and the family became separated. William lived with a cousin on a farm until he was sixteen years of age, and passed the following two years in learning the wagon-maker's trade. Proceeding to Oswego, N. Y., where a brother was living, he remained in that place eleven years, during which time he became master also of the carpenter's trade. Locating at Syracuse, he for five years was there engaged in contracting and building, at the end of that period moving to New York City, where he followed the same line of business some five years. Among buildings for which he had contracts were a cut-stone hotel at Syracuse, costing two hundred thousand dollars; another at Oswego, costing one hundred and fifty thousand dollars; numerous fine buildings in New York City, and many costly residences at Brooklyn Heights. In 1850, having met with serious business reverses, he arranged his affairs as advantageously as possible, and came to Appleton, which was then in the midst of a decidedly new region, as far as settlements were concerned. Here he joined his wife's father, Amos A. Story, who had the contract for building the Green Bay & Mississippi canal, from the Wisconsin river to Green Bay, and Mr. Johnson, who was made foreman, was engaged on this work about two years when the company sold out. He then proceeded to Chicago and entered into contract to build depots for the Illinois Central Railroad Company, remaining with that company three years. Upon his return to Appleton he became interested with others in the sawmill business, but sold his interest in 1871, and in company with Mr. Mory built a gristmill; disposing, however, of his share of the property inside of two years, he began the manufacture of rakes, seed-sowers and woodwork of all descriptions. Meeting with fresh reverses about two years later, he was obliged to relinquish that line of work, after which he was not steadily engaged in business. He superintended the construction of a number of buildings, and busied himself in various ways, but a few years preceding his death he lived a retired life. Mr. Johnson died November 19, 1894, aged eighty-three years, in which connection we glean the following from the Appleton Daily Post of November 20, the day after: "William Johnson, who was stricken with paralysis Sunday, continued to fail in strength all day yesterday. Last night the end came quietly, and his spirit entered into the great hereafter to claim the reward of a well-spent life. Mr. Johnson had been a resident of Appleton for forty-four years, and during all that period possessed the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens to a degree which falls to the lot of few men. In his passing is removed another of the sturdy personalities which bind the Appleton of the present to that Appleton of the early fifties which was little more than a name and a clearing in the virgin forest."
In politics Mr. Johnson was a Democrat, and he served as city treasurer, alderman, and chairman of the board of supervisors; was also mayor of Appleton three terms during the war of the Rebellion. In 1867 he was appointed United States collector of customs for this District, the duties of which office he discharged for two years. He was a member of the Masonic Order twenty-five years, and became an Odd Fellow in 1842, being at the time of his death the oldest member of the latter organization in Appleton. He was married in Syracuse, N. Y., May 18, 1845, to Miss Lydia Sophia Story, a native of that State, daughter of Amos A. and Sarah (Tourtelotte) Story, and eight children were born to this union, viz.: Amos A., DeWitt S., Sarah Lois, Frances S., Ina B. and John Allen, living, and Lina B. and William B., deceased. John Johnson, grandfather of William Johnson, was a mason by trade. He married Hannah Duberry, and reared a family of seven children — Charles, David, James P., Gilbert, Eliza, William and Ellen.
The subject proper of these lines, whose name introduces this sketch, received his education at the public schools of his native city, and deciding on making the printing trade his life work commenced at the age of twenty- one to inquire into its many mysteries in the office of the Crescent at Appleton, finishing his apprenticeship in the Riverside Job Office, Milwaukee, in which latter establishment he remained two years. Subsequently taking up his residence in Manitowoc, he had charge there of the Pilot one year, thence returned to Appleton, where he served as foreman in the office of the Crescent until 1884, at which time he went to Merrill, working at his trade there a few months. In 1885 he established the West Merrill Herald, which paper he in the fall of the following year moved to Rhinelander, changing its name to Oneida County Herald, and conducting it up to some time in 1890, when he sold it out, having been elected to the office of register of deeds for Oneida county. This incumbency he filled until 1894, in which year he received the appointment of postmaster at Rhinelander, his present position.
In 1874, at Appleton, Wis., Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Beulah A. Johnson, of Clinton, Wis., daughter of Job J. and Kate (Strobridge) Johnson, well-to-do farming people, both natives of Cortland county, N. Y., the parents of four children — Seth, Jay, Beulah A. and Ellen. Both parents died in 1892, within one week. To this marriage of Mr. Johnson there were born three children — DeWitt S., Jr., Bryant A. and Beulah A. The mother of these died in 1881, and in 1889, at Rhinelander, Mr. Johnson for his second wife married Miss Maud Jenkinson, who was born in Brandon, Wis., the result of which union is one child — George William — whose mother was called to her long home in January, 1892. In politics our subject is a stanch Democrat, and has always been a leader in his party; was a delegate to the State convention that elected Peck governor of Wisconsin the first time. Socially he is a member of the I.O.O.F. In 1874, when he was twenty-three years of age, he paid a year's visit to the Pacific coast, spending most of his time in San Francisco. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Charles S. La Forge
Charles S. La Forge, lumberman of Snohomish and mayor of that city, is one of the energetic business men of the county and, though he has been a resident here but a comparatively short time, has made himself a place of prominence, commanding the highest respect of the entire community because of his many admirable qualities. Mr. La Forge was born in Rockford, Illinois, early in the year 1864, the son of Cornelius and Grace (Taylor) La Forge. The elder La Forge was a native of Staten Island, New York, who went to Illinois when a young man and followed the trade of plasterer there for a time. Mrs. La Forge was a native of Vermont. Charles S. La Forge received his education in the common schools of Rockford, Illinois. He then completed a course in the business college of his native town, and at the age of twenty entered the employ of a retail lumber company in his home town as one of the yard men. Four years later he was promoted to the position of bookkeeper for the establishment, which position he held for four years. In 1892 the firm was incorporated and Mr. La Forge secured a quarter interest in the business, which then became known as the Woodruff & Maguire Company, Mr. La Forge becoming secretary. In 1894 the company engaged in the wholesale lumber business in Wisconsin and opened a manufacturing plant at Rhinelander. Three years later the company built a manufacturing plant at Three Lakes, Wisconsin, at the same time incorporating in the Badger state under the name of the Woodruff & Maguire Lumber Company. In 1899 the company acquired a two thirds interest in the plant of Parker Bros, at Big Lake, Skagit county, Washington, and a year later Mr. La Forge came to Washington to assist in the management of the Skagit county plant, which has been entirely in the hands of J. D. Day. Three years later the Woodruff & Maguire Company's interests were purchased by Wickson & Bronson, formerly of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Mr. La Forge moved to Everett, but in 1903 when the Woodruff & Maguire Company purchased the Sterling Mill Company and all of its interests in Snohomish county, Mr. La Forge was called to the management. He removed his family to Snohomish and has ever since made this city his home. The Snohomish interests of the old company are known under the name of the Three Lakes Lumber Company. Mr. La Forge sold his interest in both companies in 1905 and became the manager of the Cascade Lumber & Shingle Company of Snohomish, the saw mill of which has a daily capacity of 100,000 feet and the shingle mill of 150,000 shingles per day.
In 1883 at Rockford, Illinois, Mr. La Forge married Miss Maud E. Barnes, who died five years later, leaving no issue. Mr. La Forge was married the second time at Janesville, Wisconsin, to Mrs. Mary E. Simmons. Mr. and Mrs. La Forge have three children, Florence, Harry and Ruth. In politics Mr. La Forge is a Republican. He was elected mayor of Snohomish in December of 1904. In church circles he is affiliated with the Methodist church. In fraternal circles he is a Mason and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. La Forge's career has been very successful, one of progress during the different stages of the lumber business to a position of prominence in the trade in two states of the union. His career is the best commentary on the character of the man. [Source: An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois (1906) Submitted by M. K. Krogman]
Fred M. Mason
Fred M. Mason, county superintendent of schools, Oneida county, with residence at Rhinelander, was born at Charleston, S. C, June 3, 1842, a grandson of James Mason, a native of England, whence, when a boy, he came to Virginia with his parents. Morgan Mason, father of the subject of these lines, was born in Virginia in February, 1799, at the proper age entered college, and was a graduate of Yale, and of Harvard Law School. In the State of New York he married Anna Morgan, daughter of General Morgan of the Revolutionary army, and soon after marriage they settled in Charleston, S. C, where, with the exception of the four years during the Civil war they lived in Cleveland, Ohio, the father passed the rest of his days; the mother died in June, 1842. They had a family of children as follows: Edward B., Edith A., John Y., Edwin, Ada, Anna, and Fred M. For his second wife Morgan Mason married Mrs. Catherine Potts, by whom he had two children: Adeline and Ida. The father departed this life in 1893, a strong loyal Southern man to his last hour. He was a large planter, owning considerable land, and was a judge of the supreme court of the State, recognized as an able jurist; during the Mexican war, he was colonel of the Second South Carolina Infantry, serving in that memorable struggle with distinction.
Our subject, whose name introduces this sketch, received his earlier education at the State Military Academy, Columbia, S. C., and for three years was a cadet at West Point, but did not complete his course. In April, 1861, he was detailed into the army as instructor of military tactics, and assigned to duty at Cleveland, Ohio. In July, same year, he reported to Gen. McClellan, who at the time was in West Virginia, and had just assumed command of the army, from which time Mr. Mason served under Gen. Rosecrans. That same year he was taken prisoner by the Confederates, and for about eight months was confined in prison, chiefly at Salisbury, N. C, and in Libby. Being exchanged, he was assigned to duty in the U. S. Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, and with that branch of the service he remained until Lee's surrender. On June 17, 1864, he was promoted on the field in front of Petersburg, to first lieutenant, by Gen. Grant, for bravery displayed in securing and conveying information to Burnside's line in that day's fighting. He remained in the regular army until December 16, 1868, when he resigned on account of impaired health, the latter part of his soldier life being passed in the Topographical Department of the army. After resigning he went to Bay City, Mich., and for four years was manager of A. Ballou & Co.'s general store, after which he was, in 1871, elected County superintendent of Bay county, which incumbency he filled four years. In 1876 he went to Reed City, Mich., where for one year he filled the office of county superintendent of schools, and three years that of deputy United States timber agent. In 1890 he came to Rhinelander, where he took up the business of contractor and builder, and in 1894 he was elected county superintendent of schools of Oneida county.
On October 13, 1870, Mr. Mason was married at Bay City, Mich., to Miss Rhoda Ammerman, who was born January 3, 1842, daughter of Isaac and Mary (Drake) Ammerman, all natives of New Jersey. The mother was a direct descendant of Sir Francis Drake, admiral of the British navy during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The parents of Mrs. Mason came to Michigan from New Jersey, and both died there, the mother in 1891, the father in 1893. To our subject and wife were born five children, three of whom are living: Maude, Eva and Theresa. Politically, Mr. Mason is a Republican, socially, he is a member of the F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and G. A. R. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
A. W. Shelton, a leading attorney at law of Oneida county, with residence at Rhinelander, is a native of Minnesota, born in 1859 at Newport, a son of Charles N. and Ann Shelton. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin in the engineering course in 1883, in the law course in 1885, and in January of the following year commenced the practice of law in Rhinelander. From 1891 to 1893 he served as district attorney of Oneida county, and from 1894 to 1895 was city attorney of Rhinelander. In 1892 he bought the Rhinelander Herald, and organized the Herald Publishing Co., of which he is president, Mrs. Shelton being secretary. Our subject has been connected, with uniform success, with all of the municipal litigation which followed the organization of Oneida county, which litigation has been considerable, and, some of it, important. In 1886, at Oregon, Wis., he was united in marriage with Mary M. Howe, daughter of Judge Isaac Howe and Sarah Howe. Mrs. Shelton graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1884, and received the degree of Master of Science in History from that institution in 1892. After her marriage she was superintendent of schools for Oneida county from 1887 to 1889, and, again, from 1893 to 1895. At the present time she is a member of the School board of the city of Rhinelander. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Willard T. Stevens
Willard T. Stevens (Rep.) president pro tempore of the senate in the 1919 session, was born Sept. 6, 1865, in Beetown, Grant county, going with his parents to Cassville when one year old. He attended the common school in Cassville and business college in Dubuque, Ia., moving to Rhinelander in 1889. He is president of the Stevens Lumber company; was sheriff of Oneida county two terms; member of the Republican state central committee 1904-06. He was elected state senator in April 1912 for the unexpired term of James A. Wright, (deceased) and was re-elected in the fall of 1912 and in 1916. [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919)]
Daniel Sullivan, a leading lumberman of northern Wisconsin, with residence in Rhinelander, Oneida county, is a native of Canada, born in the County of Chateauquay, Province of Quebec, April 4, 1838. Patrick Sullivan, father of our subject, was born in Ireland, in 1803, was married there to Margaret O'Malley, and in 1826 they came to Canada, where they followed farming pursuits. They had seven children, namely: Two deceased in infancy, John and Daniel, both living, and Thomas, Cornelius and Mary Ann, deceased. The mother of these died in 1847, and the father subsequently married Ellen Swords, by whom he had nine children, named respectively: Maggie, James, Theresa, Peter, Agnes, Veronica, Andrew, Francis and Catherine. The father died in 1885. He had one brother, Daniel, who came to America, settling in New York State, where he was a lumber-man, and died leaving a family of six children — two sons (Michael and Daniel), and four daughters.
The subject of this memoir was educated at the public schools of the neighborhood of his place of birth, and at the age of sixteen left home to work in the lumber woods of Canada two winters, running logs down the Grand river, in the Province of Quebec, during the summer months. In 1857 he came to the State of Wisconsin, locating at Wausau, where he made his home some twenty years, all that long period of time engaged as superintendent of Walter D. Mclndoe & Co.'s mills and camps; also looking up and locating pine land (after the first two years he worked by contract). He then returned to Canada, purchased a farm in the Parish of St. John Chrysostome, Chateauquay Co., Quebec, and conducted same four years, at the end of that time selling out, and once more coming to Wisconsin, in 1882, settling at Rhinelander, where he again took up lumbering, which he followed until 1887. On July 1, 1889, he was appointed "government farmer" on the Indian Reservation at Lac du Flambeau, in Vilas county. Here he remained five years, at the end of which time he resigned his position, and returning to Rhinelander resumed the lumber business, in company with John Curran.
In September, 1863, in Canada, Mr. Sullivan was married to Miss Cordelia Sloan, who was born in 1847, at Napierville, Canada, daughter of Patrick and Julia Ann (Atkins) Sloan, natives of Ireland who emigrated to Canada, and were there married. They were pioneer farming people who cut the timber, cleared the land and built the house wherein they are yet living, at Napierville, Quebec. They had thirteen children, two of whom died in infancy, eleven growing to manhood and womanhood, their names being: Jane, Cordelia, Lizzie, Catherine, Mary Ann, William, Charles, Albert, George, Theresa and Isabella. Mr. Sloan was captain in the Canadian militia during the rebellion in that country of 1837-38. Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan have no children. He is a stanch Republican, and, in addition to the government position he held at Lac du Flambeau, he has served as supervisor of Pelican township, Oneida county. In religious faith he and his estimable wife are members of the Catholic Church. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
Arthur Taylor, a highly respected citizen of Rhinelander, Oneida county, is a native of England, born in Ripley, Derbyshire, April 16, 1858, son of Dr. Percival and Eliza (Bradley) Taylor. Benjamin Taylor, grandfather of our subject, was postmaster at Ripley, Derbyshire, many years, and died in 1874, at the patriarchal age of ninety-eight years, while holding that office; his wife lived to the great age of one hundred and two.
Percival Taylor, father of our subject, was a graduate of medicine in England, which profession he more or less practiced until within the past few years. In his native land he married Miss Eliza Bradley, by whom he had ten children, named respectively: William, Samuel, Walter, Mary, Hannah, Arthur, Ella, Anna, Percival H. (who died in 1868) and Percy. In the last named year, in the month of February, the father and two of his sons — Samuel and Walter — crossed the Atlantic to Canada, locating in Montreal, the rest of the family following them in the month of June. In Sept., 1869, they moved to Upper Canada, settling on a large tract of land at Bracebridge, Muskoka District, Ontario, and there remaining until 1882, in which year they came to Marinette, Wis., where they sojourned until 1885, then returning to Canada, to the old homestead in Ontario. In March, 1891, Dr. Taylor sold out and he and his wife moved to Chicago, Ill., thence to Austin, Ill., where he is now leading a retired life after practicing medicine over thirty years. On each of his children's birthdays he writes him or her a letter.
Arthur Taylor, whose name introduces this sketch, was ten years old when the family left the shores of Old England for Canada, and at the age of thirteen he left the parental roof to begin "hustling" for himself, working as a farm hand in summers, and for lumbermen in the woods, winters, occasionally visiting the old home. In October, 1879, he came to the United States, making his residence in Schoolcraft county, Mich., till April, 1881, when he and his brother, Walter, moved to Marinette, Wis., and here leased a hotel; but not liking the business, Arthur sold his interest to his brother, and again worked in the lumber woods. He thus continued till November, 1887, at which time he and his brother Walter commenced the manufacture of soda water in Marinette; but in December, 1890, our subject sold out, and at once coming to Rhinelander purchased his present soda-water plant, which he has since enlarged to treble its capacity, having a ready sale for the product in the smaller towns within a radius of sixty miles.
On May 3, 1883, Mr. Taylor was married to Miss Mary E. Richardson, who was born at Cheboygan, Mich., February 10, 1865, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Beloit) Richardson, who had eight children, viz.: Maggie, Joseph, William, Addie and Eva (twins), Mary E. and Harriet S. (twins) and Thomas. To Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were born four children, only one of whom survives — Douglas A.; Henry died in infancy; Lulu and Daphne died in 1891, the one on December 3, at the age of six years, the other on December 6, aged four years. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are members of the Congregational Church of Rhinelander, of which he is secretary-treasurer and a trustee; politically he is a Democrat, and has served on the school board. Socially he is a member of the F. & A. M. (Blue Lodge), and R. A. M., Royal Arcanum and Knights of Pythias; in the first named Order he has been secretary of his Lodge three years, and is now filling the chair of senior warden. He is a wide-awake, useful and loyal citizen, one of whom Oneida county may well feel proud. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawno" 1895, transcribed by Mary Saggio]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails