Always Free ... Always Updating
Outagamie County Wisconsin
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 765-766; submitted by Mary Saggio.
HENRY SEDO,-one of the enterprising and progressive agriculturists of Outagamie county, who is engaged in cultivating a fine tract of eighty acres situated in section 33, Black Creek township, was born April 11, 1859, in New York State, a son of Christian and Annie (Koerner) Sedo, natives of Germany. Shortly after their marriage in the Fatherland, the parents of Mr. Sedo came to America and settled in New York State, but after five or six years decided to try their fortunes in the West, and subsequently came to Wisconsin, settling in Center township, Outagamie county. Here the death of the mother occurred in the spring of 1906, when she was 69 years old, and the father came to live with his son Henry, and died in 1908, aged eighty-four years. Henry Sedo was the second of a family of six children, and he was only fifteen years old when he began working for wages at various occupations. He continued to do so until he was married, in the fall of 1884, to Sophia Buchholtz, born April 24, 1865, the fourth of a family of nine children born to her parents. Mrs. Sedo's mother is now living in Appleton, a widow, Mr. Buchholtz having died in 1908. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Sedo, namely: Gustave, who is married and living in Center township; Anna, who married Henry Stecker, by whom she has had two children, living in Appleton; and Christine, Laura, Clara and Mabelle, all single and residing at home.
After his marriage, Mr. Sedo bought the property on which he now resides, and he has put sixty acres under a high state of cultivation. He put in all of the improvements, including a modern home, large barn and outbuildings, and has his property well-fenced, graded and drained. General farming and stockraising have been his occupations, and his principal products for the markets are dairy staples and hogs. He is independent in political matters, and has never cared to hold public office. With his family he attends the Lutheran Church.
S. C. Shannon
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1045-1046; submitted by Mary Saggio.
S. C. SHANNON, president and treasurer of the S. C. Shannon Company, wholesale grocers at Nos. 767-79 Morrison street, Appleton, Wisconsin, was born in England, March 5, 1870, and is a son of D. H. and E. B. Shannon, who came to the United States in 1874. The father of Mr. Shannon was formerly in the flour business but has been retired for the past fifteen years. Of his nine children, five sons and one daughter survive. S. C. Shannon was yet a school boy when he first embarked in the grocery business, to which he has devoted his main efforts all his life, being then only eleven years of age. That he possessed unusual business capacity may be inferred when, at sixteen, his father gave him charge of a grocery store, which he successfully conducted and built up a retail business that was second to none in the State. Mr. Shannon in 1903 organized his present company and incorporated it, with the following officers: S. C. Shannon, president and treasurer; H. J. Ingold, secretary, and George D. Downer, vice-president. Directors: S. C. Shannon, H. J. Ingold, G. D. Downer and G. P. Hewitt. Three buildings are occupied by the company, the main building being three stories high and with dimensions of 100x85 feet; the cold storage building four stories high, with dimensions of 35x50 feet; while the warehouse has dimensions of 45x85 feet, the structures covering half a city block. The company sends two salesmen to cover outside territory, gives constant employment to fifteen people, works four teams for local trade, and sells over a radius of fifty miles from Appleton. Mr. Shannon is the head and master mind of this large business, one that has been built up through his energy and good judgment. On February 24, 1910, Mr. Shannon was married to Miss Mabel Ottery, who was born at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, and for eight years prior to her marriage had taught school at Appleton. They have one son, S. C, Jr. Mr. Shannon has been as active in the affairs of the city as he has been successful in his own concerns. For twelve years he has been alderman from the First ward and for the past two years has been president of the city council, and his public-spirited attitude on important questions has resulted advantageously for the city. For eight years he served as president of the Appleton Grove Association and for two years he was president of the Merchants' Association. He is active also in fraternal life and is a member of the Masons and the Knights of Pythias.
Reuben F. Shepherd
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1182-1183; submitted by Mary Saggio.
REUBEN F. SHEPHERD, who has for some years been successfully engaged in the real estate business in Appleton, was born August 5, 1870, in Osborn township, Outagamie county, Wisconsin, a son of Sewell and Jennie M. (Dowd) Shepherd, the former a native of Farnum, Canada, and the latter born in Ireland. George W. Shepherd, the grandfather of Reuben F., came to Wisconsin in 1838, his family following him during the following year and settling in Waukesha county, where they engaged in farming. During the early '50s, George W. and Sewell Shepherd conducted a store in Milwaukee for a short time, but eventually came to Outagamie county, in 185-, and settled on property in section 5, Osborn township, where George W. Shepherd died. Sewell Shepherd continued to operate this property until 1877, and in that year went on the road as a commercial traveler for the West DePere Agricultural Works, with which company he was connected in this capacity for about sixteen years, then engaging in the butcher business at Seymour. After a short time he engaged in the fanning mill business, as a manufacturer at Seymour, but in 1894 or 1895 came to Appleton, where he was engaged in the real estate business up to the time of his death in September, 1909. His widow still survives. They were the parents of four children, as follows: Louise, who lives at home; Charles F., residing at Rhinelander, Wisconsin, a commercial traveler; Evangeline, who married John Farwell, a resident of Kaukauna; and Reuben F. Reuben F. Shepherd received a common school education in the vicinity of his father's farm in Osborn township and later in Seymour, and entered his father's business office in Appleton when he had completed his educational training. He continued with him until the time of his death, and then succeeded him in the real estate business, in which he is still engaged. In 1907 he admitted C. B. Tift to partnership in the business. Mr. Shepherd was married November 22, 18—, to Iva V. Andrews, of Waterloo, Wisconsin, daughter of Wallace Andrews, an agriculturist and early settler of Dodge county, and to this union there have been born two children, namely: Maude J. and Robert A., both residing with their parents.
David A. Sherman
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 999-1000; submitted by Mary Saggio.
DAVID A. SHERMAN, a progressive agriculturist of Cicero township, is cultivating a tract of 120 acres in section 25, where he has one of the best-equipped properties of this part of Outagamie county. Mr. Sherman is a native of the Province of Ontario, Canada, born March 16, 1846, a son of James and Caroline (Sharp) Sherman, the former probably a native of New York State, the grandfather, Joseph Sherman, having been born in St. Lawrence county. David A. Sherman's parents were married in Canada, where they engaged in farming and where their children were born, being as follows: David A., Alfred, Angeline, who died in 1903; and Nettie, who married a Mr. Johnson. The family came to Osborn township, Outagamie county, in October, 1866, remaining one year and then locating in Cicero township, where Mr. Sherman bought forty acres of wild land and built a log cabin, 18x26 feet, and a log stable, and with his sons began to clear the property. Later he sold this land and went to Plainfield, Waushara county, where he lived twenty-six or twenty-seven years, and died in 1903, aged eighty-two years. His widow survived until 1907, when she-passed away at the age of eighty years. David A. Sherman did not accompany his parents to Waushara county, but remained on the Cicero township farm, where he has built a log cabin and log stable. To his original purchase of eighty acres he added another forty, and he has put all of this property under cultivation with the exception of a twelve-acre tract of woodland. In October, 1869, Mr. Sherman was married to Amy Heagle, also a native of Ontario, Canada, and a daughter of Henry and Louisa (Sharp) Heagle, who came to Outagamie county, Wisconsin, in 1885 and spent the rest of their lives here, both now being deceased about twenty years. Mr. and Mrs. Sherman have had these children: Lafey, who married Nora Corning; Dora, who married G. Buttles; Ina, who married G. Jackson; Maud, who married Dennis Sharp; Blanche, who married Orrin Johnson, and Lillian, James and Irma, all residing at home. Mr. Sherman has always taken a very active interest in politics, belonging to the progressive Republicans, and he has served as supervisor of Cicero township, town clerk for three years and chairman of the town board for one year. Mr. Sherman has a fine nine-room residence, and in addition has one of the finest barns in the township. His first barn, a log structure, was removed to make way for a barn 36x60 feet, which was later remodeled to become 36x88 feet, with basement under all and well lighted. It has a modern cement floor, and the basement is equipped with James' Sanitary Feed Mangers and Stanchions, for which Mr. Sherman is the agent for this section. The drainage system is modern, the barn being piped for flushing and cleanliness, and the barn itself is built of matched six-inch lumber, and equipped from loft to basement with galvanized ventilator shafts, which insure perfect ventilation. The upper driveway is double, one being eighteen feet and the other twelve feet. Within a few feet of the barn is situated a sanitary artesian well, around which the creamery is built. Mr. Sherman, who is known as one of the good, practical agriculturists of Cicero township, has also a wide reputation as a scientific cattle raiser and is known as an expert judge of livestock.
John J. Sherman
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 816-817; submitted by Mary Saggio.
JOHN J. SHERMAN, cashier of the Citizens' National Bank, of Appleton, Wisconsin, a position of trust and responsibility which he has continuously held for nearly eighteen years, is also identified with other important business interests, and is one of the men of this city who may be truly termed representative. He is a native of Wisconsin, born in Addison township, Washington county, August 28, 1853, and nearly all of his life has been passed in this state. His parents were Jacob and Margaret (Sell) Sherman, the former a native of France and the latter of Germany. Men of the type of John J. Sherman have no need to recall illustrious ancestors to add prominence to themselves, but it is interesting to know that Grandfather Andrew Sherman served on the staff of the great Bonaparte from 1811 to 1815, and participated in those battles that made world history—Leipsic, .Dresden, Hanan, Bautzen, Lutzen and Waterloo. This veteran came to Wisconsin in 1855, where he lived a peaceful life for many years, his death occurring in 1880, when he was over ninety years of age. Jacob Sherman, son of Andrew, was born in 1819, and came to the United States when eighteen years of age. In 1845 he married Margaret Sell, who had accompanied a brother from Germany and reached America in 1839. She died October 4, 1855, the mother of six children, one of the three survivors being John J. Sherman, of Appleton. From the age of fifteen years John J. Sherman has been the arbiter of his own fortunes. He had three years of excellent school training in St. Gall's Academy, Milwaukee, but with this exception, provided for his further education and necessities himself, for some years teaching school in the winter seasons and attending school during a part of the summers. He thus advanced both financially and mentally, giving himself advantages in the Normal School at Whitewater and the State University, and for ten years engaging in educational work at Milwaukee. In 1879 he went to Wausau, where for seven years he was engaged in a mercantile business, and while there became active in politics and was elected city clerk on the Democratic ticket, was also census enumerator and was otherwise prominent. In 1890 he assisted in the organization of the German-American Savings Bank of that city, which became a national bank in the following year. On April 4, 1893, he was elected county judge of Marathon county, and continued his judicial duties until he was called to Appleton, January 15, 1894, to accept his present position. Mr. Sherman was one of the organizers of the Wisconsin State Bankers' Association, in which he has always taken an active interest and of which he was vice-president in 1906 and president in 1907. In 1909, he was elected a member of the executive council of the American Bankers' Association, and has since continuously served in that capacity. Mr. Sherman was married (first) February 18, 1879, to Miss Mary E. Dengel, a native of Hartford, Wisconsin, who died December 20, 1886, the mother of two children: Adam Edward and Margaret. Margaret died in infancy. On May 1, 1888, Mr. Sherman was married a second time, to Miss Helen Kamps, a daughter of Gerhard and Katherina (Jansen) Kamps. Mr. and Mrs. Sherman have had six children: Margaret, Henry, Marie, Isabell, Helen and Agnes, all living excepting Henry, who died in infancy. They are members of the Roman Catholic Church, and Mr. Sherman is identified with the Roman Catholic Central Society, the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, Knights of Columbus, Catholic Order of Foresters and the Catholic Family Protective Association of Wisconsin.
The Citizens' National Bank of Appleton, Wisconsin, was organized on the 15th day of January, 1894. Although its authorized capital stock was $150,000, its first statement to the Comptroller of Currency showed assets of $75,000, while according to the bank statement at the close of business on the 7th day of March, 1911, showed a total of assets and resources of $1,298,021.33. Proportionately with the increase thus noted has the business of the various departments of the institution been augmented, and not a year since its opening, seventeen years ago, has this thriving financial institution experienced anything but a healthy progress. The original number of stockholders of this bank was 90; now it has been increased to 105, all residents of Appleton and Outagamie county, excepting a few who acquired stock by inheritance. Among the men who were numbered with the directors of the bank at the time of its opening and who are still connected with this institution in a similar capacity are: Lamar Olmstead, Joseph Rossmeissl, John Berg, G. T. Moeskes and John J. Sherman, and since its beginning the vice-president has been Joseph Rossmeissl, and the cashier John J. Sherman. From an office force of three men the activities of the bank have so increased that the services of eight people are now required to dispense the volume of business. The first president of the bank was John S. Van Northwick, who resigned as such officer on the 29th day of December, 1896, on which day Lamar Olmstead was elected as his successor, who has served continuously until the present. On August 1, 1907, the bank purchased the building it now occupies, together with an adjoining one. It was the first bank in the State of Wisconsin to put into use an absolutely fire and burglar-proof vault, the construction of which, being of solid steel throughout, was the heaviest made at that time by any safe company, and required the greater part of six months to complete the same. Inside this impregnable casing are located two combined screw-door safes used for the secure keeping of money and valuables. This institution was also the first of its kind in the city to introduce the home savings banks which have become so popular and are used by many families in this city.
Wesley H. Sherman
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 941-942; submitted by Mary Saggio.
WESLEY H. SHERMAN, a well known resident of Outagamie county, Wisconsin, who lives in section 8, Osborn township, has one of the fine stock farms of this section of the county and is numbered with the substantial and enterprising men of Outagamie. He was born August 28, 1862, in Province Ontario, Dominion of Canada, a son of Emory William and Phebe (Finkle) Sherman. He was six years old when his parents came from Canada and settled on this farm, 120 acres of wild land, with the road running thirty rods farther east than at present. He started to clear his land with his only valuable stock at that time, a yoke of oxen, and in the course of time accomplished it and erected comfortable buildings. He became a recognized good farmer and stockraiser and was also a man of importance in politics, and in association with Mr. Melter, organized the Republican party in Osborn township. He survived until 1904, dying at the age of seventy-six years. He married Phebe Finkle, who was born in Canada, a daughter of George Finkle, who settled at Appleton and continued there. To the above marriage six children were born: Wilmet, Wesley, Williard, Bertha, Myrtle and Idalett.
Wesley H. Sherman in 1890 acquired the homestead, to which he later added forty-six acres and has improved all the land. He has devoted his attention particularly to stockraising. He began with Durham cattle, but now also has Holsteins, and thorough-bred heavy draft Percheron horses, having recently sold a pair of sucking colts for $250. He is an extensive breeder of Poland-China hogs and has now on hand over fifty of these superior swine. He owns a fine Kentucky bred mare for driving that has a record of one-eighth mile in seventeen seconds. Mr. Sherman has also been very successful with his poultry and has a handsome flock of the Light Brahma variety. Mr. Sherman was married in 1899 to Miss Jennie Weller, who was born in England, a daughter of Alfred and Harriet (Noakes) Weller. Two other children, James and William were born in the United States after the family came here in 1871 and located at Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The father died of typhoid fever, in 1875, at the age of twenty-seven years. His parents, who accompanied him to Oshkosh, were George and Jennie (Richardson) Weller. Mr. Weller had one sister and two brothers: Ann, George and William. Mrs. Weller contracted a second marriage, with James Griffin of Oshkosh, and they moved to Shiocton, where he is a retired farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Sherman have three children: Hubert, Warene and Emery.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 964-965; submitted by Mary Saggio.
AUGUST SIEVERT, a prominent retired citizen of Outagamie county, who for many years was engaged in agricultural pursuits in the town of Freedom, was born November 30, 1850, in Germany, and is a son of John and Frederica Sievert, natives of the Fatherland, who came to the United States in 1870, with their two children, August and Wilhelmina. The family came direct to Freedom, this county, where John and August Sievert bought land in partnership and John Sievert was engaged in farming here until his death in 1891, his widow surviving him until 1907, when she passed away on the farm. August Sievert received his education in the schools of his native country and was twenty years of age when he accompanied the family to America. He was married in 1879 to Carolina Dobler, who was born in Chicago, Illinois, daughter of John Dobler, and five children were born to this union: Helena, Albert, Emma, Herman and Alma. Albert Seivert married Meta Fiesteadt, of Freedom, and has one child, Clark. Herman, who is engaged in general farming and dairy work on the homestead, married Mabel Groat. Helena married Emil Jentz, of Center. Emma married Arnold Muenster of Osborn. Mr. and Mrs. Sievert belong to the Moravian Church of Freedom, and Mr. Sievert has held the office of school director. On May 1, 1911, he retired from activities, selling his farm to his son, Herman, and built a new residence on land one mile west from the homestead. He was very successful in his farming venture, and now that he has retired can reap the fruit of his early years of labor and look back over a useful, well-spent life. He has always had the interest of his home community at heart, and any movement that has for its object the betterment or advancement of his township or county can be sure of his hearty and active support.
Wolf R. Sigl
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 721-722; submitted by Mary Saggio.
WOLF R. SIGL, proprietor of Oakland Farm, a well-cultivated tract of 120 acres of farming land lying in section 2, Seymour township, was born October 30, 1869, in Bavaria, Germany, and is a son of Sebastian Sigl, whose other children were George, Max, Teckla. Joe, John and Frank. Mr. Sigl cannot remember his mother, as she died when he was only four years old. Sebastian Sigl married again after his first wife's death, and the family came to the United States in 1876, stopping at Appleton, Wisconsin, two months and then moving on to Seymour township, two miles west of the present site of Oakland Farm. They located on ninety acres of wild land, on which Mr. Sigl erected a log house and barn, but a short time later moved across the line into Shawano county, where Mr. Sigl purchased 120 acres of wild land and again started in a log house. With the help of his sons he cleared the land from the wilderness, and erected good frame buildings, and at the time of his death, in 1890, when he was sixty-two years old, he was one of the substantial farmers of his community. By his second marriage he became the father of Wesley L., Charles A., Henry W., Edelia and Mary.
Wolf R. Sigl was seven years old when the family came to the United States, and his education was secured in the district schools. He grew up on the home farm, his boyhood being spent much the same as that of other farmers' sons at that time, and he was reared to, the hard work of the uncultivated farm. When twenty- three years of age he started out for himself in the lumber mills, but in 1895 purchased forty acres of his present land, which was then in a totally uncultivated state. By hard work he managed to clear the land for cultivation, and when this had been accomplished he added another forty acres, and some time later forty acres more, and all this land has been cultivated to a highly productive state. He has a handsome farm residence, a 40x82 barn, with basement, and other good farm buildings, and here he carries on general farming and stock raising. Mr. Sigl has been uniformly successful in his operations and he is considered one of the good, practical agriculturists of Seymour township.
In 1895 Mr. Sigl was married to Mamie Meyers, who was born in Menominee, Michigan, in 1879, daughter of John Meyers. Mr. and Mrs. Sigl have had no children.
Percy W. Silverwood
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1062-1063; submitted by Mary Saggio.
PERCY W. SILVERWOOD was born July 30, 1886, in Dane county, Wisconsin, a son of George and Ellen (Calder) Silverwood, the former of whom, a native of Yorkshire, England, came to Wisconsin in 1844. He has been a lifelong agriculturist in Albion township, Dane county, where he still survives, his wife having passed away in 1900 at the age of fifty years. Their children were: Thomas, who is city attorney of Green Bay, Wisconsin; George, who is engaged in farming in Albion township; Percy W., subject of this review; Emma, Mary and Bella, deceased. By a former marriage George Silverwood had a daughter Anne, who is deceased. Percy W. Silverwood attended the common schools of Dane county, the High school in Rock county and the university at Valparaiso, Indiana, from which latter institution he was graduated in 1907. He then entered the law office of his brother at Green Bay, and on February 28, 1908, came to Seymour and here opened a law office under the firm name of Silverwood & Silverwood. At this time it was Mr. Silverwood's intention to engage in legal practice, but, becoming convinced of the great opportunities offered in the real estate field in Outagamie county, and especially the possibilities which the opening of the Oneida Indian reservation presented, he turned his attention to the real estate business under the same name which the law firm bore. Later the concern became known as the Oneida Land Company, it first being a partnership company, but on August 19, 1911, it was established as a corporation, capitalized at $50,000, with C. A. Kerr of Chicago as president, G. L. Lonkey of Shiocton, vice-president and treasurer and Mr. Silverwood as secretary and manager. Mr. Silverwood owns a tract of 120 acres in the reservation, known as Silverwood Farm, designed as an orchard farm and valued at $9,000, on which twenty acres of cherry trees are now being set out. He is a Republican in politics and belongs to the County Central Committee. He is also president of the Seymour Library and has identified himself with many movements calculated to advance the educational, social and industrial interests of his adopted city. In 1910 Mr. Silverwood was united in marriage with Miss Mary O'Connor, who was born in 1883 at Green Lake, Wisconsin. To this union one daughter, Elizabeth S., whose birth occurred May 15, 1911, has been born.
Henry Clay Sloan
Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio
HENRY C. SLOAN, Appleton, was born in De Ruyter, Madison county, New York, August 12, 1846. Mr. Sloan came to Wisconsin with his father's family in 1854. Settling in Beaver Dam, Henry C. received an academic education. In October, 1863, at the age of seventeen, he enlisted as a private in Company D, Fifth Wisconsin regiment, participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and a number of minor engagements, and in July, 1864, was appointed second lieutenant of Marine corps, which office he resigned in January, 1865, when he joined the Forty-eighth Wisconsin as first lieutenant, and was mustered out with the regiment in March 1866. He had been previously appointed second lieutenant of the Fourth United Slates infantry in February 1866; was promoted to first lieutenant in July of the same year, and on December 31, 1870, resigned under the provisions of the act of congress reducing the army. He studied law with his father, A. Scott Sloan, at Beaver Dam; was admitted to the bar March 5, 1872; practiced at Beaver Dam until January 1875, when he removed to Appleton, where he has since resided; was elected city attorney in 1877, 1878, 1879 and 1880; in the fall of 1880 was elected to the assembly and served at the succeeding session of that body. Mr. Sloan has a partner, the firm being Sloan & Bottensek.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 663-664; submitted by Mary Saggio.
HENRY CLAY SLOAN. Prominent among the public men of Outagamie county, Wisconsin, who have been identified with the interests of this section during the past several decades, is the Hon. Henry Clay Sloan, assistant district attorney of Appleton and a leading member of the Outagamie county bar. Mr. Sloan was born in New York in 1847, a son of Judge A. Scott and Ann (Dodge) Sloan. A. Scott Sloan came to Wisconsin in 1854, locating at Beaver Dam, where he engaged in a law practice, and rose to the front ranks of his profession, holding some of the highest offices in the gift of the people. He served in the United States Congress, was for four years attorney general of Wisconsin, was circuit judge for thirteen years, and in addition to holding numerous local offices, was the candidate in opposition to Judge Dickson for the office of Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Of his family of eight children one died in infancy and five are now living: Henry Clay; Mrs. Edward Dewey of Milwaukee; Catherine B.; Ledyard, L., of Beaver Dam. Henry Clay Sloan was educated in the public schools of Beaver Dam, and at the age of sixteen years enlisted in the Fifth Wisconsin Volunteers. He was made first lieutenant of Company I., Forty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteers, and on February 23, 1866, was commissioned second lieutenant of the Fourth Infantry, Regular Army, later rising to the rank of first lieutenant. He continued in the army until 1871, when he began studying law with his father, and in 1872 was admitted to the bar. After practicing a short time at Beaver Dam, he came to Appleton in the fall of 1874, but in 1881 removed to Milwaukee and remained there until 1889. He then began practicing his profession at Superior, Wisconsin, but in 1901 returned to Appleton, where he has since continued in a general practice. He was city attorney for Appleton for five years, and in 1880 was elected to the State Legislature, being returned to that body again in 1895 from Superior. He has also served as city attorney of Superior and as a member of the board of public works and president of the board of education of that city, and from 1895 until 1899 served as district attorney. He is now serving as assistant district attorney of Appleton.
On November 19, 1879, Mr. Sloan was married to Helen Lois Phinney. Mrs. Sloan is a member of the Congregational Church. Her father came to Wisconsin in 1849 and was identified with Lawrence University. Until 1881 Mr. Sloan was a Democrat, but since that time has been identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. In all the positions to which he has been called Mr. Sloan has served with honor to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents, and he is regarded as one of Outagamie county’s leading citizens.
Smith Family Biographies - Outagamie County Wisconsin
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 700-701; submitted by Mary Saggio.
MARTIN SMITS, an enterprising and progressive agriculturist of Grand Chute, operating a fine tract of eighty acres, which he devotes to general and dairy farming, was born in Holland, January 16, 1869, and is a son of George and Marie (Rutten) Smits, farming people of Holland, who never left that country. Of their eight children, Martin was the sixth in order of birth. He received his education in the public schools of his native country, and at the age of twenty-one years started out to make his own way in the world, working for two years as a farm hand in Holland and then coming to America. He first located at DePere, in Wisconsin, where he worked in brick yards for seven years, after which he decided to devote his life to agricultural pursuits, and made his way to Outagamie county. For the first two years here he worked as a farm hand, and for a like period he operated a rented farm, but at the end of this time he had accumulated enough to invest in his present property, which he has since been conducting with very satisfactory results. He carries on general farming, and does some dairying, and has his eighty acres in a high state of cultivation, raising large crops annually. He has erected good, substantial buildings, and his property has the appearance of being conducted by a man of thrift and industry. Mr. Smits is a Republican, but he has never given much attention to political matters, having been too busy with his private interests, although he is always ready to help any movement which promises to be of benefit to his community. His religious connection is with St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.
On November 7, 1905, Mr. Smits was married to Christina Nielen, who was born in Buchanan township, June 25, 1876. Her parents were born in Holland and came to America about 1860, locating in Milwaukee, where Mrs. Smits’ father worked in a foundry for about ten years, and then removed to Buchanan township, Outagamie county. In 1876 the family moved to the farm where they now reside. Mrs. Smits was the third child of her parents’ seven children. Mr. and Mrs. Smits have four children, born as follows: George, July 30, 1906; Marie, December 23, 1907, Dorothy, July 8, 1909, and Alice, January 20, 1911.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 1029; submitted by Mary Saggio.
JOHN SMUDDE, deceased, was in all probability the first miller in Appleton. He was born August 2, 1808, in Holland, and was there reared and passed the early part of his life. He was a miller in his native country and, realizing the advantages to be had in the United States, immigrated to this country in 1852. He located in Appleton, Wisconsin, and here in partnership with Mr. Haas erected a mill which he conducted until 1864. He was compelled to discontinue this line of business owing to ill health, then engaged in street contracting for a time, and eventually traded his mill for a farm in Waupaca county. He died in 1895 at the ripe old age of eighty-seven years. His wife, formerly Mary Ann Salchert, was a native of the kingdom of Prussia, Germany, and came with her people to America, settling in Calumet county, Wisconsin. She died in 1898, aged sixty-eight years.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1185-1186; submitted by Mary Saggio.
HENRY SOMMERS, a successful farmer and stock raiser of Greenville township, operating on 120 acres of well cultivated soil, was born in this township, October 6, 1858, and is a son of Edward and Anna (O'Leary) Sommers. Mr. Sommers' parents were born in County Wexford, Ireland, and on coming to the United States, in 1857, located at once in Greenville township and purchased a tract of ten acres in the western part of the township. Edward Sommers cleared this little tract and in the meantime worked for other farmers of his vicinity until he was able to purchase the present farm of Henry Sommers, on which he spent the balance of his life, dying June 1, 1901. He was a hard and persevering worker all of his life and arose to a position of prominence among the farmers of his community. He and his wife; who died January 25, 1909, had seven children, of whom three survive: Henry, Ella, the wife of George M. Bishop, an Idaho mining man; and Johnnie, a cement worker and farmer of Ellington township. Henry Sommers attended district school No. 4, in Greenville township, and worked at home on his father's farm until twenty-two years of age, at which time he began working on the river as a log driver during the summer months, and in the woods in winter. After about two years he returned to his home and worked on the farm in summer and woods in winter for about eleven years, after which he remained on the homestead until about 1899, when he purchased a sixty-acre farm adjoining the homestead. Subsequently he purchased the Barkley homestead, a tract of seventy acres, but he later turned this over to his brother as his share of the land accumulated while in partnership, Henry taking the homestead. He has continued to live on this farm to the present time and now has a fertile tract of 120 acres which he devotes to general farming, and also feeds a number of steers for the market every winter. His place is well equipped with modern, substantial buildings, and its appearance denotes the presence of able management. Mr. Sommers is a member of the Roman Catholic church at Stephensville. He is a democrat in his political vIews, and has served as supervisor of his township for six years. On January 5, 1899, Mr. Sommers was united in marriage with Miss Anna Heiderman, who was born at Neenah, Wisconsin, December 14, 1873, daughter of John and Mary ( ------) Heiderman, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Scotland. They were early settlers of Neenah, and are now actively engaged in agricultural pursuits in Bovina township. Mr. and Mrs. Sommers have had six children, born as follows: Edward, October 18. 1900; Nellie, October 19, 1902; James, December 6, 1904; Frankie, January 28, 1906; Henry, December 12, 1908, and Willie, January 5, 1911.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 597; submitted by Mary Saggio.
JOHN SPEARS, who carries on general farming operations in Ellington township, and makes a specialty of breeding high grade Guernsey cattle, is a native of Outagamie county and a son of John Spears, who was born in England. John Spears, the father, came to America when twenty-five years of age, and during the ten years that followed he lived at various places in the United States. He came to Outagamie county in 1858, buying land in Ellington township, on which he resided for many years, but eventually sold and moved on the farm now owned by his son, and here his death occurred in 1905. He was married in 1868 to Elmira Elliott, born in 1842, in Wisconsin, of English parentage, her father having been a participant in the War of 1812, and she died on the farm in 1895. Mr. Spears enlisted for service in the Federal army during the War of the Rebellion, and at its close received an honorable discharge. He and his wife had three boys and two girls, all living except one, who died in infancy. John Spears was born in 1869, on his father’s farm, and he received his education in the district schools of the neighborhood, his youth being spent much the same as that of other farmer’s boys of that time. He continued to work on his father’s farm until he was twenty years of age, at which time he started out to make his own way in the world and took charge of his father’s property, which he purchased in 1896. He does general farming and dairying, making a specialty of the Guernsey Cattle Breeders’ Association. He is progressive in his political views and has served for upwards of fifteen years as road commissioner. His religious connection is with the Congregational Church of Illington, in which he is deacon and superintendent of the Sunday school. Mr. Spears has never married.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 902-903; submitted by Mary Saggio.
FREDERICK SPEEL, a worthy representative of an old and honored family of Buchanan township, has been a resident of this community all of his life, having been born here May 6, 1868, and now resides on a farm of eighty-two acres located in sections 31 and 32. He is a son of William J. and Catherine (Benarde) Speel, the former a native of Holland and the latter of Luxembourg, Germany, who were married in this country and engaged in agricultural pursuits in Buchanan township until their retirement, which occurred about 1895. William J. Speel is about seventy-five years of age, while his wife, who also survives, has reached the age of sixty-six years. Frederick Speel was his parents' only child, and he always lived with them until their retirement. In about 1900 he bought forty acres in section 32, and in 1903 purchased a farm of 42 acres in section 31, which comprises the eighty-two acres which he now operates. He moved to this land in 1900, and now has sixty-five acres under the plow, all fenced with barbed wire. General farming has received his attention, and he markets dairy products, hogs and some grain, and finds a ready sale for the milk from ten cows. He keeps graded cattle and Chester White hogs. The house, a two-story, seven-room frame structure, is one of the handsome ones of this locality, and in 1907 Mr. Speel erected a barn 32x62 feet, in addition to which he has other substantial buildings for the shelter of his stock, grain and machinery. He is independent in his political views and has never cared for public office, but his father, who is a Democrat, has been a justice of the peace for many years, town clerk for about fifteen years, town treasurer for some time and a member of the school board for a long period. The family is connected with the Holy Angels Church of Darboy, Wisconsin. In July, 1897, Mr. Speel was united in marriage with Miss Susan Monyette, who was born March 22, 1871, daughter of George and Susan (Martinie) Monyette, natives of Germany, who were married in the old country, coming to America in the '60s and locating in Outagamie county. Mrs. Speel's father died when she was but a child and her mother was married again and now lives in this county at the age of seventy-nine years. Mr. and Mrs. Speel have had two children: Isabella E. and Henry W.
Albert M. Spencer
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 592-593; submitted by Mary Saggio.
ALBERT M. SPENCER, a prominent member of the Outagamie legal profession, who is actively engaged in practice in the city of Appleton, was born July 26, 1856, in Bovina township, Outagamie county, Wisconsin, and is a son of Blanchard and Emily (Curtis) Spencer. Blanchard Spencer came from New York to Wisconsin in 1850, where he engaged in lumbering and the rest of his life was spent in this locality. After attending the public schools, Albert M. Spencer went to the Ryan High School, and then read law under Judge Harriman and Sloan & Bottenscher, being admitted to the bar in 1883. During the next year he was elected to the office of district attorney and was re-elected in 1886, but retired from that office in 1887 and went to Superior, Wisconsin, where he remained eight years. In April, 1896, he returned to Appleton, after having taken a trip through Colorado and Arizona, and he has been here to this time, having served in the office of city attorney for three terms. He has a large and lucrative practice, and is well and favorably known both in his profession and as a public-spirited citizen and official.
In November, 1887, Mr. Spencer was united in marriage with Helene Sherwood, of Green Lake county, Wisconsin, and she died in 1896, having been the mother of two children: Harold, a midshipman of Annapolis, Maryland, connected with the United States Diplomatic Service in Africa; and Loraine, who is attending the University and residing at home. Mr. Spencer is a Republican in his political views.
Frank Simeon Spencer
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1138-1139; submitted by Mary Saggio.
FRANK SIMEON SPENCER, a well-known resident and practical farmer of Grand Chute township, who is carrying on general operations on a tract of forty acres, was born April 24, 1852, in County Russell, Canada, a son of Blanchard and Eliza (Smith) Spencer. The parents of Mr. Spencer were natives of Vermont, where the father was born October 3, 1825, and the mother August 16, 1828. Early in life Blanchard Spencer commenced working in the Canadian lumber camps, but in 1854 he came to Wisconsin, locating on a tract of wild land in Outagamie county, and continued to farm in Grand Chute township until February 25, 1869, when he met an accidental death, when a log fell upon him. His wife had passed away in 1853. Mr. Spencer had become well known and highly esteemed during his residence in this section, and served in various township offices and as chairman of the town board. Frank Simeon Spencer received his education in the schools of Grand Chute township and Shiocton, and was seventeen years old at the time of his father's death. He continued to live on the farm for about two years, and then rented it until going to work in the woods, where he was employed until 1875, and in this year purchased the forty-acre tract just adjoining the old family homestead, and here he has continued to live to the present time. He carries on truck and general farming, in addition to dairying, and his hard and persistent labor has brought a gratifying success. He is connected with the E. F. U., and is a Republican in politics, having served for eighteen years as school treasurer of Grand Chute township.
On November 10, 1875, Mr. Spencer was married (first) to Martha Finkel, who was born in Canada and died in 1886, leaving no children. On July 24, 1888, he was married to Miss Olive Rexford, who was born at Shiocton, Outagamie county. May 18, 1862, daughter of Sanford and Mary (Downes) Rexford, the former born November 19, 1834, at Johnsburg, Warren county, New York, and the latter August 5, 1834, at Hartford, New York. Mr. Rexford, who was always a farmer, came to Wisconsin in 1855, and located at Shiocton, buying a farm in Ellington township on which he resided until 1857, at which time he bought the farm that was later known as Rexford's Corners. He lived there the balance of his life, his death occurring January 21, 1889, while his widow survived him eleven years, passing away February 11, 1900. She was married January 29, 1891, to Silas R. Merrill, a retired resident of Neenah. By her first marriage she had three children: Harvey S., a farmer of Shiocton; Olive, who married Mr. Spencer, and Elmer, who is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have been the parents of three children, namely: Blanche Mary, born May 27, 1890, who married Harry T. Ogilvie, a real estate agent of Madison; Frank E., born May 13, 1893, residing at home, and Rexford L., born April 26, 1895, who is attending the Appleton high school.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 630-631, submitted by Mary Saggio.
ERNEST SPOEHR, an enterprising agriculturist of Bovina township, who owns 356 acres in sections 4 and 5, is a member of an old and honored family which has been located in Outagamie county for upwards of sixty years. He was born on the farm which he now owns, November 20, 1866, and is a son of Ernest and Matilda (Schultz) Spoehr, natives of Germany. The parents of Mr. Spoehr were married in Outagmie county, where Mr. Spoehr had located in 1851, and after a long and useful life spent in agricultural pursuits here he is now retired and living at Hortonville, being seventy-four years of age. His wife died in May, 1896, aged forty-eight years. Ernest Spoehr, Sr., enlisted during the Civil War as a private in a Wisconsin infantry regiment, and served two years, receiving his honorable discharge after a brave and faithful service, and he is now a member of Hortonville Post, Grand Army of the Republic. Ernest Spoehr, Jr., was the eldest of six children, and his youth was spent in the hard work of the farm up to the time when he was fifteen years of age, when he started working for wages at lumbering and river driving. He continued at this work until his marriage in 1896 to Miss Annie Witthuhn, who was born January 24, 1876, the eldest of the children of Charles and Louisa (Dikelman) Witthuhn, natives of Germany, who came to America in early life and are now living in Bovina township. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Spoehr, namely: Roy, Wilford, Frederick and Nicholas, all residing at home. After his marriage, Mr. Spoehr engaged in farming for himself on the old homestead; which he eventually purchased from his father, and he now has eighty acres under cultivation and 151 acres enclosed in a barbed and woven wire fence. Since coming into possession of the property, Mr. Spoehr had remodeled both the house and the barn, in addition to erecting outbuildings and making other improvements. General farming and stock raising have been his chief occupations, and he has made a specialty of dairying. He keeps Poland-China hogs and Holstein cattle, and devotes a large part of his property to pasture land. Mr. Spoehr is a member of the Odd Fellows, is a Republican in his political belief, and with Mrs. Spoehr attends the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which they are active members.
William H. Spoehr
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 631, submitted by Mary Saggio.
WILLIAM H. SPOEHR, a general farmer and stock raiser of Bovina township, and the owner of eighty acres of fine farming land in section 4, is a native of this township, born March 16, 1874, a son of Ernest and Matilda (Schultz) Spoehr. Mr. Spoehr’s parents, who were natives of Germany, were married in Outagamie county, Wisconsin, whence they had come when young people, and Mr. Spoehr, who has followed farming throughout his life, is now living at Hortonville, at the age of seventy-four years, his wife having passed away in May, 1896, when forty-eight years old. Ernest Spoehr was a soldier in the Union army during the Civil War, enlisting in May, 1862, in Company D, Fifty-second Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, with which organization he served until the close of the war. He participated in all the engagements in which his regiment took part, including the battle of Gettysburg, and he is now a popular comrade of Hortonville Post, Grand Army of the Republic. When he first located in Outagamie county, in 1851, Appleton was a small village to which he used to go to obtain flour and other necessities, it being the nearest marketing point, and Indians were still numerous around this section, although they were in the main friendly. He has lived to see this great wilderness become converted into a land of prosperity and plenty, and has done his full share in bringing such favorable conditions about.
William H. Spoehr was educated in the district schools, and remained at home on his father’s farm until he reached the age of twenty-five years, when he was married, June 1, 1899, to Miss Bertha Witthuhn, born January 11, 1879, daughter of Charles and Louisa (Dikelman), Witthuhn, and to this union there have been born five children: Leland W., Pearl M., William V., Arline L. and Everett C. After marriage, Mr. Spoehr removed to Two Rivers, Wisconsin, where for two years he was employed in the veneering and seating factory, coming back at the end of that time to Bovina township, where for about eight years he was engaged in working at the painter’s trade. Mr. Spoehr has since that time been engaged in farming, and he now has all of his property under cultivation with the exception of about five acres. The buildings on the property are well built and conveniently located, the entire property is well fenced with barbed and woven wire, and the farm has a prosperous and well-kept appearance that speaks well for the industry and good management of its owner. Mr. Spoehr is a member of the Odd Fellows, is a Republican in his political views, and is connected religiously with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mrs. Spoehr is also a member.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 1115; submitted by Mary Saggio.
THOMAS SPRY, who is now living retired at Seymour, Wisconsin, is a Canadian by birth, and is of English parentage, his father having been born in Lincolnshire and. his mother in County Norfolk, England. The parents came to America as young people, and were married in Canada, where Mr. Spry carried on agricultural pursuits until his death in 1879 or 1880, in his seventy-second year, while Mrs. Spry survived until June, 1896, she being seventy-five years old at the time of her demise. They had the following children: Tamson, Sarah, Thomas, Victoria, William J., Laura and Emily.
Thomas Spry was born at County Hastings, Ontario, Dominion of Canada, October 10, 1843, and after securing a good common school education in the schools of his native place started out on his own account at the age of twenty-two years. After leaving Canada, he located in the State of Michigan, but after a short period removed to Seymour, Wisconsin, and in 1870 settled on a tract of ninety-six acres of wild land in section 9, in Osborn township. He erected a log cabin, with a roof of split logs, in which he resided until 1876, and during that year went to California, but shortly thereafter returned to Osborn township and again took up farming. During the year 1886, Mr. Spry went to Canada, where he was married to Ann Eastman, a native of England, and a daughter of Alfred Eastman, who came from England and engaged in agricultural pursuits in Canada. Mrs. Spry, who died in 1896, at the age of sixty-two years, had these brothers and sisters: Sarah, Thomas, Edgar, Alfred, Helen, Eliza, Sophia and Laura.
After his marriage Mr. Spry returned to Wisconsin and sold his farm on section 9, purchasing another property on section 3, and on this land he resided until his retirement from active pursuits in 1891, since which time he has resided in the city of Seymour. He is a republican in his political views, but is apt to vote rather for the man than the party. Fraternally, he is connected with the Seymour Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His religious connection is with the Methodist Church.