Appleton Machine Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1115-1116; submitted by Mary Saggio.
APPLETON MACHINE COMPANY. The rapid growth of some of Wisconsin's business enterprises, which have had humble beginnings and have become large industries giving employment to a number of skilled men, has been due to the progressive ideas, enterprise and inherent ability of their incorporators, men who were bound to succeed in whatever line they cast their energies. No better example of this can be found than the Appleton Machine Company, the proprietors of which, H. G. and F. E. Saecker, are well-known business men of Appleton. In 1867, John G. Morgan came from New York to Appleton, and the firm of Ketchum & Morgan was established, Mr. Ketchum's interest being later sold to Henry F. Bassett, of Massachusetts, at which time the firm took the name of Morgan & Bassett. This style continued until 1887, when W. F., F. E. and H. G. Saecker and L. Olmstead purchased the interests of Mr. Bassett, the Appleton Machine Company being established, principally for the purpose of repairing and jobbing, with seven men on the company's pay roll. Business grew to such an extent, however, that it was necessary to increase the capacity of the concern, and the manufacture of papermaking machinery was begun, and the output of the factory is now $125,000 per annum, mostly in contract and special work, necessitating the employment of sixty men. The goods from this concern are shipped all over the United States, and it has gained an enviable reputation not only for the excellence of the work done but for the promptness with which it is delivered and the strict manner in which contracts are lived up to.
The Saecker brothers are sons of Gotfried and Hannah Saecker, natives of Germany, who came to the United States in 1868. Besides the brothers mentioned the children were: Albert, who is the proprietor of a shop at Marcus, Wisconsin; Julius, who died in 1894; August, who died April 22, 1911; Mrs. Byer, who resides in Appleton; William F., an undertaker and furniture dealer of Appleton. F. E. Saecker was born in Germany, September 1, 1854, and when he had reached the age of seventeen years had thoroughly learned the blacksmith trade in his father's shop. Until coming to Appleton in 1874 he was engaged at his trade in various carriagemaking shops in Wisconsin, and during the following eight years he was employed by the Appleton Manufacturing Company. In 1882, with his brothers and Lamar Olmstead, he organized the Appleton Machine Company, and in 1887 the Bassett & Morgan factory was purchased, Mr. Morgan, however, remaining as a member of the firm. Mr. Olmstead's interest was purchased in 1894. On December 19, 1878, Mr. Saecker married Minnie Breitrick, daughter of Carl Breitrick, and three children were born to this union, only one of whom, Edna Estella, survives. Mr. and Mrs. Saecker are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Temple of Honor, and in politics he is a staunch Republican. Mr. Saecker holds the position of president of the machine company.
H. G. Saecker was born November 16, 1858, in Germany, and at the age of sixteen years left home to work in a farming machine factory for three years, after which he spent two years in the same line at Oak Grove, Dodge county, and three years at blacksmithing in Markesan, Green Lake county. He then returned to Appleton, where with his brothers and Mr. Olmstead, he established the Appleton Machine Company. He is secretary and treasurer of the concern. In 1891 he was married to Miss Margaret Engler, daughter of Christian Engler, an old settler, and one child was born to this union: Enid Margaret. Mr. and Mrs. Saecker are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Eagle Manufacturing Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 680; submitted by Mary Saggio.
EAGLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY. Prominent among the large manufacturing concerns of Appleton, Wisconsin, may be mentioned the Eagle Manufacturing Company, which sends its goods, notably traction engines and silo feed cutters, to every large point in the United States, with its trade-mark “Eagle” stamped thereon. Originally organized by Richard Miller, John Kanouse and William Polifka as the Eagle Fork Company, it was incorporated in 1888 by Messrs. Miller and Polifka and E. W. Saiberlich under its present name, and since that time the business has grown steadily, until now it is rated among the largest concerns of its kind doing business in Northern Wisconsin. Until 1904 the factory was located on the river front, using water power, but since that year has been situated at No. 624 Winnebago street, and sixty horsepower engines, of kerosene power and of the company’s own make are used, and the output of the factory is about $70,000 annually. Feed cutters were manufactured exclusively until 1901, when the company began making traction engines, and since that time other articles have been added gradually to its product. About thirty-two skilled mechanics are employed, and the main shop covers a floor space of 40x231 feet, the foundry and grinding room 40x149 feet, the woodworking building 40x72 feet and basement, and the warehouse, two stories 160x36 feet. A side track connects the factory with the railroads. Richard Miller was president of the company until 1893, in which year he sold his interests, and since that time Mr. Saiberlich has held the office. Frank Saiberlich is a son of Henry and Wilhelmina Saiberlich, natives of Germany, who came to the United States about 1854, and became pioneers of Outagamie county, where Mr. Saiberlich took up wild land, worked it with oxen, and reclaimed it for a valuable homestead. He continued operating this property until 1886, in which year he retired, and his death occurred in Appleton in 1910, his wife having passed away five years before. Both were members of the Evangelical Church, and were the parents of the following children: Minnie, living at home; E. W., secretary and treasurer of the Eagle Manufacturing Company, married Bertha Albrecht and has one child; Oscar, vice-president of the Eagle Manufacturing Company, married Anna Riesenweber and has a son and a daughter; Emma, married Henry Demand, a resident of Black Creek township, and has a family of two boys; Rosetta, married John Schwab, of Oconto Falls, and has six children; Ida, married William Besserdich, of Clintonville, and died in January, 1909, leaving three children; and August and Bertha, died in infancy.
Fox River Paper Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 611-612; submitted by Mary Saggio.
FOX RIVER PAPER COMPANY, one of the old established industries of Appleton, Wisconsin, has grown steadily since 1882, when it was founded by W. G. and J. H. Wharton, S. K. Wambold and Captain G. W. Spalding, and is rated one of the leading paper manufacturing companies of Northern Wisconsin. The first mill built by the company, known as the “Ravine” mill, employed about eighty men and had an output of about four tons of paper daily, but this was soon found to be inadequate for the demand, and in 1887 the mill was enlarged and the “Lincoln” mill was built, the capacity thus being increased to twelve tons per day. In 1893 the Fox River mill was erected, with a large rag room, and the capacity is now about twenty-five tons per day, 375 people being employed. Writing paper is produced exclusively, and the company’s product is marketed all over the world, the output being about $1,000,000 annually. The plant has a floor space of five and seven-eighths acres, and modern equipment and machinery are installed throughout, power therefore being obtained from the Fox River, the company owning about three-sevenths of the flow of the Fox River, the company owning about three-sevenths of the flow of the Fox River at this level. This is sufficient to operate the machinery under normal conditions, but in case of emergency the company has steam power to the extent of 2,000 horsepower. W. D. Wharton is president of the company, and Hiram G. Freeman is treasurer and manager. Mr. Freeman has been indirectly and directly connected with the firm since it was first established, and in 1884 he was elected to the position of secretary, acting in that capacity until January 1, 1899, when he was made manager and treasurer. He is a native of Concord, New Hampshire, born January 3, 1844, a son of Rev. Hiram and Adaline (Guernsey) Freeman, natives of Vermont. He received his education in the various towns to which his father’s calling brought him, and attended Ripon College until he was fifteen years old, at which time he began clerking in a store at Ripon, and later was employed at Oshkosh and other places. He saw service during the Civil War as a member of Company B, Forty-first Wisconsin Volunteers, with which he was connected from May, 1864, until the following September, when the regiment was mustered out of the service, and Mr. Freeman returned to Appleton. He resumed clerking, and in 1867 went to Green Bay, where he had secured the position of bookkeeper for the First National Bank, and three years later accepted the position of cashier for the City National Bank of Green Bay, and from there went to Kellogg’s National Bank, January 1, 1874. In 1881 he came to Appleton and accepted the position of cashier with the newly-organized Commercial National Bank, a position which he held until 1899. On November 20, 1886, Mr. Freeman was united in marriage with Miss Susie W. Smith, and one child, Angeline Smith, has been born to this union. Mr. Freeman is a Republican in his political beliefs, and is widely known and highly respected in Appleton.
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 773-774; submitted by Mary Saggio.
HOTEL LASALLE. One of the leading hostelries of Kaukauna, and one that is much patronized by the traveling public, is this well known house, the proprietor of which, Michael H. Niesen, is one of that city's most popular citizens. The Hotel LaSalle was built in 1905, by Captain D. J. Brothers, one of the first white men to come to Kaukauna, and was erected by him to perpetuate his memory in the minds of those who came after. This famous stand has changed hands a number of times, and on April 1, 1910, Mr. Niesen took charge of its affairs. It is of solid brick construction, has thirty-eight rooms, and its ample dining room seats 100 guests. Michael H. Niesen was born October 1, 1878, in Ozaukee county, Wisconsin, son of Hubert and Catherine (Wolf) Niesen, natives of Wisconsin. Mr. Niesen's father moved to Kaukauna June 23, 1881, and has followed the trade of millwright here ever since, having helped to build mills on the Fox River during the past thirty years, as well as on the Wisconsin River. He is well known in this business and enjoys an enviable reputation for integrity and probity. Mr. Niesen and his wife were members of the Catholic Church and were the parents of seven children, all of whom survive. Michael H. Niesen received his education in the schools of Kaukauna, after leaving which he was for some time engaged in railroad work. He then entered the retail liquor business, and in 1910 became proprietor of the Hotel LaSalle, which he has brought up to a high standard of excellence. Mr. Niesen was married June 9, 1908, to Ida Ortleib, of Chilton, Wisconsin. They are members of Holy Cross Catholic Church. He is a member of the Foresters, of which he has been district secretary since its organization, and he also holds membership in the Fraternal Order of Eagles, acting in the capacity of treasurer of that order, a position he has held since the lodge was started in Kaukauna. Mr. Niesen is very public-spirited, and he has found time from his business interests to serve his city as alderman and as a member of the fire and police commission, and he now holds the latter office.
The Kaukauna Lumber and Manufacturing Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 1048-1049; submitted by Mary Saggio.
THE KAUKAUNA LUMBER AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY, of Kaukauna, Wisconsin, one of the large industrial enterprises of this section, was organized and incorporated in 1884, succeeding Hewitt Bros. & Jansen. The first officers of the company were: Henry Hewitt, Jr., president; John Jansen, vice-president; and J. C. Mitchell, secretary and treasurer. Mr. Hewitt sold his interest in 1893 and Mr. Mitchell his interest in 1889. The present officers are: John Jansen, president; Joseph J. Jansen, vice-president; and John M. Jansen, secretary and treasurer. The plant occupies two and one- half acres on the island, operates its own saw mill and does a wholesale and retail business. It manufactures bank and office fixtures and high grade interior decorations and does a business of about $300,000 a year. Employment is afforded thirty people. This company installed the first electric circular saw in the United States. It operates Central Station electric plant.
John Jansen, the venerable president of the above company, who is now retired from much active participation, was born in the province of North Brabant, Netherlands, in 1835, and was fourteen years of age when he accompanied his parents from Holland to America. He was reared in the family of Capt. James Boyd, in Brown county, and learned to work hard and at heavy tasks in the woods and in saw mills. In 1868 he started to operate a saw mill for John Stovekin, later bought an interest in it and still later the whole mill and retained it entire until 1880, when he sold a one-half interest. Mr. Jansen has been thrice married, his present wife, prior to marriage, having been Frances Rademacher who was born in Buchanan township, Outagamie county. Henry, a son of his first marriage, lives at Marinette. John M., residing at Kaukauna, has a wife and two children. Mary is the wife of Edward Guessenhainer, and they live at Neuminster, Holstein, Germany. Clara is the wife of Frank B. Fargo and they live at Vancouver, Canada. Joseph J. is a resident of Kaukauna. Theresa is deceased. Sarah is the wife of Eugene Taylor, residing at Appleton. Frances married Theodore Ellsworth and they live in this city. Mr. Jansen and family are members of the Holy Cross Catholic Church. Joseph and John J. are members of the Knights of Columbus and Joseph is also identified with the Foresters, the Elks, the Mystic Workers and the Royal Arcanum. He is serving in his third term as alderman from the Second ward and has been a member of the water commission. In earlier days Mr. Jansen also served as an alderman from the Second ward.
The Nile Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 812; submitted by Mary Saggio.
THE NILE COMPANY, one of the large business enterprises of Appleton, Wisconsin, having-two stores, located in the Seickman building at 742 College avenue, and in the Nile buildmg, at 970 College avenue, has carried on operations here since 1907, when it was established by Joseph Gilman and William L. Gilman. Joseph Gilman was a contractor in Rhode Island, from which state he came to Appleton, after having engaged in much residence and mill work, he having built one of the largest mills in the world, of its kind. He has already retired from active business operation, but seeing the possibilities of a business enterprise such as the Nile Company, he interested William L. Gilman, an able business man, and together they started what has since proved to be a great success. They both have continued to be identified with this company up to the present time. William L. Gilman has had considerable experience in the confectionery business and is an able manager for the two stores. The company now occupies the entire three floors and basement of the Sieckman building, a new and modern building 75x22 feet, and the manufacturing, which is in charge of George D. Gilman, is done in their own building at No. 970 College avenue, also an up-to-date building. A wholesale and retail business in ice cream and candy is carried on, three teams being used in the selling and delivering of 150 gallons of ice cream to the leading trade of Appleton. In addition a fine business lunch and afternoon lunch are served at the company's stores. Thirteen people are employed. Joseph Gilman was married to Adeline Blanchard of Canada, who died in 1905. There are the following children: George D., who is secretary of the company; William L., who is general manager; Delia M., who married T. C. Robinson and resides at Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. James McSoley, a resident of Boston, Massachusetts; and Mrs. Emmit D. Smith, a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio. George D. and William L. Gilman are both married and popular members of the Knights of Columbus. The family attends St. Mary's Catholic Church. The members of the firm are well known in business circles of Appleton, where all bear the highest reputations for integrity and probity.
Riverside Fiber and Paper Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 1043; submitted by Mary Saggio.
RIVERSIDE FIBER AND PAPER COMPANY, of Appleton, Wisconsin, manufacturers of fiber, sulphide and writing paper, with capacity of 65,000 pounds of sulphide daily and 28,000 pounds of paper, disposes of its sulphide fiber all over the Fox River Valley. This concern was organized on January 30, 1893, as the Riverside Fiber Company, by H. D. Smith, president; Llames Olmsteade as vice-president and manager; W. B. Murphy, as secretary and treasurer and Thomas Pearson. H. D. Smith died in April, 1909. Mr. Olmsteade sold his interest a few years after organization, and W. B. Murphy died in January, 1910. At first the company manufactured fiber exclusively, but in 1902, built a paper mill on the site of the old shoe factory, with one machine, and a change was then made in the firm style, becoming the Riverside Fiber and Paper company, as at present. In 1902 the capital was increased and a number of stockholders added, and the present officers of the company are as follows: W. M. Gilbert, president; P. R. Thomas, vice-president; S. W. Murphy, secretary and treasurer, and Thomas W. Orbison. The late Thomas Gaynor was also a director. Employment is given 120 men, and the business is in an exceedingly flourishing condition.
The C. F. Smith Livery and Transfer Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) page 1092; submitted by Mary Saggio.
THE C. F. SMITH LIVERY AND TRANSFER COMPANY, at Appleton, Wisconsin, was incorporated in March, 1905, for $10,000, and was later increased to $20,000. Henry Renter purchased the controlling stock in the corporation, and to his business ability in the management of the affairs the concern is largely indebted for its phenomenal growth and success. This company took over the business established by Mr. Smith some twenty years ago. In 1906 the present building was erected, and is, in all probability, the finest establishment of its kind in the State of Wisconsin. It is of brick construction, 48x125 feet, three stories and basement. The latter, in which the horses are kept, is one-third above ground. The first floor is devoted to the office, harness and cleaning rooms, and in front is a wide entrance for driving in and out of the building. The second floor is the vehicle repository, and the third floor is used for the storage of feed, carriages, etc. The building is equipped with an electric elevator and is modern and up-to-date in all respects. In addition to conducting a general livery business the concern operates seven hacks, a funeral car, cab and coach, furnishes employment for ten men and keeps an average of twenty-eight horses in use. The company is noted for its excellent stock, and as an evidence of this secured first premium for the best single driver at the Fox River Fair Association in 1911. The officers of the company are, C. F. Smith, president, and Henry Renter, secretary and treasurer.
Wisconsin Tissue Paper Company
Source: History of Outagamie County Wisconsin, Goodspeed Historical Association Publishers, (1911) pages 687-688; submitted by Mary Saggio.
WISCONSIN TISSUE PAPER COMPANY. One of the large manufacturing companies of Appleton, Wisconsin, is the Wisconsin Tissue Paper Company, which was organized under the State laws in 1898 for the manufacture of tissue and light weight paper. This concern was founded by Lamar Olmstead, president, and William Gerbrick, and during the same year was incorporated, and the officers at the present time are Lamar Olmstead, president; M. A. Wertheimer, vice-president; C. W. Stribley, treasurer; J. E. Thomas, secretary, and J. J. Herb, superintendent. The company uses two machines, producing ten tons of tissue and light weight wrapping paper for wrapping fruit, paper napkins, toilet, etc., and employs forty-five men, the product being sold all over the United States. The buildings of the concern, which have been erected from time to time as the increase in business demanded more space, are in dimension as follows: One story and basement, 100x70 feet; two story and basement, 107x64 feet; and one story and basement, 64x32 feet; boiler house, 30x40 feet; two story and basement, 32x42 feet, in addition to the company office. A side-track furnishes rapid communication to the railroads and insures a speedy means of transportation. The company uses 350 horsepower in operating this plant, and the old method of water power has been supplanted almost entirely by steam and electricity.
Joseph Thomas, secretary of this concern, and one of the well known men of the Wisconsin paper trade, was born in Michigan in 1872, a son of Joseph C. and Mary A. Thomas came to Appleton in 1890 and attended Lawrence University and a business college, after which he entered the employ of the Kaukauna Fiber Company, as stenographer. At the time of the organization of the Pulp Wood Company, he became stenographer and bookkeeper, and continued with this firm until 1895, when he went to Nekoosa, Wisconsin, and until 1904 was connected with the Nekoosa Paper Company. In the latter year he returned to Appleton to accept the position of manager and secretary of the Wisconsin Tissue Paper Company, with which firm he has since been connected. In 1900, Mr. Thomas was married to Lela Treat, of Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, and they have three children. Mr. Thomas is a member of the Masons and the Elks.