Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
Pierce County, Wisconsin
Biographies


Edward Barnett
BARNETT, Edward DeForest, St Paul. Res 1374 Summit av, office 100 Endicott Arcade. Investment securities. Born Sept 1, 1851 in Arcade N Y, son of Joel and Adelle C (McKay) Barnett. Married May 27, 1875 to Marietta Rogers. Educated in the public schools and academy at River Falls Wis. Left home when of age and engaged in banking business in Chippewa Falls Wis. Removed to St Paul 1892 and was cashr of Commercial Bank at time of re-organization in 1896; engaged in brokerage investment securities and timber lands business 1901 to date. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore]

Edward C. Bates
In the various financial enterprises of Grand Forks, North Dakota, the Grand Forks Mercantile Company takes a leading place, and the gentleman above named is one of the important factors in the success enjoyed by this company, having held the office of president of the same since its establishment. He is also president of the Northwestern Fire & Marine Insurance Company of Grand Forks, and in each of the enterprises in which he has embarked he has met with unbounded success, and is one of the substantial business men of North Dakota. Our subject was born at River Falls, Wisconsin, February 20, 1860. His parents, Luther M. and Mariah (Wilcox) Bates, were natives of Vermont, and the father was engaged in business there many years. He removed to Wisconsin in the early '50s, and then returned to Vermont in 1864, and is now a resident of the latter state. Mr. Bates was raised in Vermont, and received a high-school education there, and later taught school two years. He came to North Dakota in 1880, and engaged in the general merchandise business in Forest River, Walsh county, and continued there three years, and then removed to Ardoch and continued there until 1892, when he came to Grand Forks, and January 1, 1893, founded the Grand Forks Mercantile Company, with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars, and the following officers: C. F. Williams, vice-president, W. A. Currie, treasurer, and F. S. Lycan, secretary, and our subject president. The capital stock was later increased to sixty-six thousand dollars, and they now conduct nearly a million dollars' worth of business annually in North Dakota and Minnesota. Mr. Bates is also secretary and treasurer of the Rav Mercantile Company, of Crookston, Minnesota. He was one of the organizers of the Northwestern Fire & Marine Insurance Company of Grand Forks, and was elected the first president of the company. Our subject was married, in 1882, to Miss Christina Anderson, a native of Canada. Four sons and one daughter have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bates. Mr. Bates is a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Source: History Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by Susan Ripley]

Hans J. Bergan
HANS J. BERGAN, one of the successful and representative citizens of Barnes county, North Dakota, resides on section 22, township 141, range 58 west, where he is industriously engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has prospered in his chosen calling, becoming owner of four hundred and eighty acres of very fertile land, which he has improved with good buildings and converted into one of the most modern in appointment in the township. Mr. Bergan is a native of the land of the Midnight Sun, born November 25, 1850, and is a son of John Bergan, a farmer by occupation, who spent his entire life in Norway, dying there in 1870. Our subject was reared on the home farm and acquired his education in the schools of the neighborhood. Later he became a stationary engineer in the village of Kragero and continued to work at that place for a number of years. In 1877 he concluded to cast his lot with his fellow countrymen who had preceded him to the United States, and accordingly, during that year he crossed the broad Atlantic and took up his residence in Pierce county, Wisconsin, where he remained until coming to Barnes county, North Dakota, in the spring of 1878. On his arrival here he took up a quarter-section of government land, but from time to time he has added to his property until he now has four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devotes his entire attention. In Valley City, Barnes county, Mr. Bergan was married, September 6, 1882, to Miss Ida Anderson, who was born in Sweden, September 7, 1857, and they have become the parents of five children, now living three sons and two daughters, Irvine H., Gertrude C, Ralph A., Elnar I. and Zelda A. Portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Bergan are presented on another page. Fraternally Mr. Bergan affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Yeoman, and politically is identified with the Populist party. He is highly respected and esteemed by his fellow citizens and has been honored with a number of township offices. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Janice Louie]

Thomas Carr
THOMAS CARR, a prosperous and successful agriculturist of Grand Forks county, whose pleasant home is located on section 29 of Valle township, is counted among the pioneers of Dakota. Mr. Carr was born in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, November 25, 1833. He was reared on a farm in his native state until he was eighteen years old, receiving such education as could be gleaned from the public schools of the day. He then went to New London, Connecticut, and there shipped on board a whaling vessel, and went to New Zealand, and thence to the Arctic ocean. They returned to the Sandwich Islands for supplies and then visited the coast of California. From there they proceeded down the coast to Chili, and he was there discharged from the ship. Shortly after he found employment on an English steamer engaged in the coasting trade among the South American states, and visited Chili, Bolivia, Peru and other countries along the coast. He then shipped on board a merchantman from Callao to Valencia, Spain. Thence he went to the West Indies, to Liverpool and finally to New Orleans. After a short time there he came up the Mississippi river to St. Louis, thence to Chicago, and then for two years followed the lakes, a portion of the time as common sailor and a portion of the time as mate On leaving the lakes he went to Pierce county, Wisconsin. He purchased land there and engaged in farming until 1863. In March of that year he enlisted in Company F, Thirty-Seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was at the siege of Petersburg and in numerous skirmishes and fights. At the close of the war he returned to his farm in Pierce county, Wisconsin, and remained there until 1878. It was in the spring of 1878 that he came to Grand Forks county, and located on the farm where he now resides, and which has since been his home. He is now the owner of eight hundred acres of the best land in the state, and has enhanced his estate with many improvements and conveniences. He has been engaged in agriculture continuously since coming to Dakota, and has been successful. Mr. Carr was married in Pierce county to Miss Helen Pike, who was born in Ohio. To that union six children were born, named as follows: Frank; Belle, now Mrs. Charles Taulby ; Angle, now Mrs. Parmenter ; Thomas E. ; Edna ; and Helen. Mrs. Helen Carr died in Grand Forks county May 16, 1885. Mr. Carlo's second marriage took place in Grand Forks county. Miss Edna Woodward becoming his wife. Mrs. Carr is a native of Wisconsin, and is an accomplished lady. Mr. Carr takes a deep interest in all matters of a public nature affecting his county and community, and has been chosen to various township offices. His integrity, good fellowship and public spirit have won him a host of friends. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900]

William Dale
To the chronicler of historical events, nothing lends more zest to his work, nor superinduces a more ready action of mind and pen than personal contact with the genuine pioneer, who has passed through the real experiences of subduing nature in all its primitive and unmolested forms of wild forests, wild beasts and wild men, and who has imbibed the spirit of his surroundings and had his mental as well as physical being broadened and deepened by the free life, untrammeled by conventionalities and social restrictions. In the subject of this brief review these happy conditions meet in an unusual degree. Born in Elk County, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1852, of one of the old families of that prominent commonwealth, he was, at the early age of six years, transplanted to the then almost undeveloped state of Wisconsin, where during his boyhood and youth he became inured to the health producing and muscle developing ways of farm and lumber camp life, thus establishing in physical development and mental training, the foundation for future success in the great Northwest, which later was destined to become his field of pioneer operation. John Dale, the father of our subject, a prominent lawyer, was born in Center County, Pennsylvania, in 1816, of Welsh and Irish parents, who were pioneers of that state. He became a pioneer of Pierce County, Wisconsin, in 1858, and there practiced law and also became an extensive land owner. In the practice of his profession he became acquainted with Senator Spooncr, and this acquaintance later grew into a warm and lasting friendship. In 1873 he moved to Tennessee, and in 1877 became a resident of Skagit county, where he died in 1878. During the war he held a commission as colonel, serving as recruiting officer and also as provost marshal in Wisconsin, but was never in active army service. The mother, Massie (Jordan) Dale, also a native of Pennsylvania, was of German descent, and belonged to one of the oldest families of the Keystone state. She survived her husband eleven years, passing away in 1889. In July, 1874, after closing a year in the Wisconsin pineries, young Dale, at the age of twenty-two, turned his face westward, and soon had his first introduction into Skagit, then a part of Whatcom county. Without undue delay he took up work in the lumbering camps of that region, which he followed continuously for eight years, working at first for others, but later engaging in the same business for himself. Here he soon built up a name and business known throughout a wide section of the coast country, and won the distinction of being one of the first extensive lumber operators on Fidalgo island, thus inseparably connecting himself with the early development and progress of that section of the country. During this period Mr. Dale took up a homestead in the Samish country, and in the course of time transferred his attention to agricultural pursuits and the development of his homestead. The tract he had taken was what is known as "tide lands," and had to be redeemed from the overflow of salt water from the sound, by extensive diking, entailing great expenditure of time and labor. This was accomplished, with the gratifying result that he became the possessor of an expanse of land rich and productive almost beyond belief. The pleasure of pursuit, in Mr. Dale's case, seemed to outweigh that of possession, for no sooner had he overcome the almost insurmountable obstacles which had at first opposed themselves to his mastery of natural conditions, and had gratified his desire for conquest, than he forsook farm life, leasing his land, and gave his attention to the manufacture of shingles, establishing a mill at the town of Burlington in 1890, and later, in 1893, erecting a second mill in Mount Vernon. The mill at the latter place was destroyed by fire in 1894 and the business at Burlington was sold. In 1889 Mr. Dale was nominated by the Republican party for county assessor, and the choice of his party was ratified by the voters at the polls that fall by a handsome majority. He served throughout two successive terms of four years with success, at the same time keeping a guiding hand on his business interests outside. Again, in 1898, he was called by a goodly majority to fill the same position of trust, serving to the close of the double term of four years with that distinguishing faithfulness which has ever marked his course through life, whether in public or private affairs. At the close of his official duties in 1902, he formed a partnership with Warren Shea in the abstract, real estate and insurance business, which they are at present successfully conducting, having established it on a solid business basis. Ever in close touch with the agricultural interests of the county, and an owner of farm lands himself, Mr. Dale has for a number of years owned and had operated two first-class steam threshers, which as an investment have proven anything but unprofitable.  In 1877, while following the lumbering industry, the union of William Dale and Mary A. Stevens was celebrated in Skagit county. Mrs. Dale is from one of the earliest pioneer families of that county. Her father, Edwin Stevens, a millwright by trade, and native of New York, came to Skagit with his family in 1873, and after an active life of seven years in his newly adopted home, he laid down the burdens of life, greatly regretted by all who knew him. The mother, Rachel (Herbernson) Stevens, still survives her husband. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Dale have been born four children. William Edwin and James Arthur, now farming in British Columbia; Annie Adelaide Hunt and Ella R. Fredlund. Politically, Mr. Dale is a staunch Republican and ranks among the foremost in the councils of his party and the shaping of its policies; fraternally he is a Knight Templar and Past High Priest in the Masonic order, and in the Knights of Pythias holds the position of Keeper of the Seals. In the Commercial club of his town Mr. Dale is recognized as one of the most active factors, and is ever at the forefront of every enterprise that makes for the public weal, or carries on its banner the insignia of progress; which broad-minded, public-spirited course has won for him the deepest regard, as well as respect and confidence of the community which claims him as a citizen. [Source: An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M. K. Krogman]

Joseph Eichten
EICHTEN Joseph John, Stillwater. Res 215 W Pine, office 101 N Main. Merchant. Born Jan 2, 1855 in Loshim Germany, son of Peter and Katherine (Balter) Eichten. Married Feb 1880 to Annie Schroeder. Educated the public schools of Minnesota. Variously employed in Stillwater 1870-83. Moved to River Falls and engaged in wholesale liquor business 1883-87; returned to Stillwater 1887 and purchased Phillip Potts’ wholesale liquor business and has continued same to date. Organized Connolly Shoe Co 1905 and is pres of same. Member board of alderman 1889-95; pres of same 1892-95; U C T; Sons of Herman and B P O E. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks]

S. S. Fifield
S. S. FIFELD (Rep.), of Ashland, Ashland county, was born in Corinna, Penobscot county, Maine, June 24, 1839; received a printing office education; came to Wisconsin in 1854 and settled at Prescott; removed to Taylor’s Falls in 1860, to Osceola Mills in 1861, and to Ashland in 1872, where he now resides and edits the Ashland Press; was chairman first board supervisors of Ashland in June, 1872, sergeant-at-arms of the assembly in 1871 and ’72, assemblymen in 1874, ’75 and ’76, and chosen speaker the last year, was elected state senator in 1876 to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Henry D. Barron, was elected state senator for 1880 and ’81, receiving 3,075 votes, against 2,503 for Dana R. Bailey, Independent Republican. [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]

Julius C. Gilbertson
Dr. J. C. Gilbertson is a successful physician of Luverne, Minnesota. He is a native of Norway, but has lived in this country ever since he was six years of age any by education and assimilation is thoroughly American. His ancestors were of the Norwegian peasantry. Engebret Gilbertson, his father, was a farmer and was very poor when he came to America in 1867 with his wife and young family. He settled in Goodhue County, Minnesota, but after two years moved across the river to Pierce County, Wisconsin, where he still lives in comfortable circumstances, having become independent and at the same time raised a large family. Young Julius went to the district school in the neighborhood in the winters and worked hard on the farm during the rest of the year. In 1880, when nineteen years old, he had advanced so far as to be able to secure a certificate to teach in the county schools. However he did not avail himself of this opportunity but entered Red Wing Seminary the next year and graduated in 1884. At this time his father offered to mortgage his farm in order to secure the means for Julius to further pursue his studies but the son would not hear of it, and went to teaching school, at the same time studying as much as might be in his spare time. In the spring of 1885 he opened a small general store at Esdaile, Wisconsin, but after two years he tired of mercantilism and sold his business to Mr. A. A. Ulvin. He attended special lectures at the University of Wisconsin the following winter and in 1888 entered the medical department of the University of Minnesota. Three more years of hard work ensued and in 1891 he graduated, receiving the class honors. After graduation from the University and having passed successfully the examination of the state medical board, Dr. Gilbertson settled in Luverne and at once engaged in the practice of his profession. He has been very successful and has built up a large and lucrative practice--probably as large as any in that part of the state. He has no specialty and his practice is general, but he has been especially successful in the treatment of nervous disorders. Dr. Gilbertson was married on November 27, 1895, to Miss Thea H. Helgeson at Blair, Wisconsin. He is a member of the Lutheran church. In political belief he is a Republican. He has never held an office except that of town clerk in Wisconsin from 1885 to 1887. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Franklin L. Gilson
FRANKLIN L. GILSON, Ellsworth, was born at Middlefield, Geauga county, Ohio, October 22, 1846, his parents being W.H. and Sylvia L. Gilson.  He received a partial collegiate education at Hiram, and at Oberlin College, Ohio; studied law at West Bend, Wisconsin, with Frisby & Weil, from 1870 to 1872; was admitted October 22, 1870, at West Bend, and has practiced at Ellsworth from the fall of 1872 to the present time.  From 1874 to 1876 he practiced with J. H. Wilkinson, the firm being Gilson & Wilkinson.  In 1881 he formed a partnership with J. W. Hancock, which continues as Gilson & Hancock.  Mr. Gilson has been somewhat in public life, having been district attorney of Pierce county from 1874 to 1880; was a delegate to the republican national convention held in Chicago in June, 1880, and was a member of the assembly of 1881.  During the session of the latter he was a member of the committee on the judiciary and that of medical societies.  He introduced (and it passed) a bill cutting down the pay of the employees of the legislature.  He was again elected member of the assembly in 1881, and at the session of 1882 was chosen speaker. [Source:  The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Nancy Overlander]

Sylvester Storrs Grinnell
Class of 1878
SYLVESTER STORRS GRINNELL, born in Mt. Gilead, O., Jan. 12, 1850. His preparatory education was obtained at Farmers’ Institute, Ind., and at Maryville, Tenn.; graduated at Maryville college, 1874; Oberlin Theological Seminary, 1878; ordained Rochester, Vt., Jan. 14, 1879.  Preached Rochester, Vt., 1878-80; student Andover Theological Seminary, 1880-81; preached Green River, Wyo., 1881; Des Moines, Iowa, 1882-84; Rockford, 1884-87; Lancaster, Wis., 1887-90; River Falls, Wis., 1890-94; Alpena, Mich., 1894-96; without charge, Pasadena, Cal., 1896 to the time of his death. He was married Jan 13, 1887, to Corrinna Amira Phelps of Rockford, who survives him. Died at Pasadena, Cal., Dec. 12, 1897. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

Harold Harris
HARRIS Harold, St Paul. Res 731 Osceola av, office 209 German-American Nat Bank bldg. Lawyer. Born Nov 21, 1857 in Pierce county Wis, son of Gilbert and Anna (Gunderson) Harris. Received his education at country schools and State Normal School at River Falls Wis, graduating in 1882. Entered Univ of Wis and graduated B S 1886; law course B L 1889. Has been engaged in practice for 16 years in St Paul making a specialty of real estate law. Sec of Park Region Land Co and dir Wis Blue Grass Land Co; v pre Polk County Land & Imp Co; sec Truant Gold and Silver Co Helena Mont and member of the firm of E E Sutton & Co.. Member Commercial Club of St Paul and I O O F. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

Nils P. Haugen
NILS P. HAUGEN (Rep.), of River Falls, Pierce county, was born in the parish of Modum, Norway, March 9, 1849; graduated at the law department of the Michigan State University in the class of 1874; is a by profession a lawyer; came to Wisconsin in 1854, and settled in Pierce county; was phonographic reporter of the eighth judicial circuit for several years, and of the eleventh circuit from July, 1876, until May, 1878, when he resigned, and is now reporter for the eighth circuit; was elected to the assembly for 1879, and re-elected for 1880, receiving 1,498 votes against 257 for W. J. Copp, Democrat, 327 for S. A. Porter, Greenbacker, and 81 for J. M. Copp, Democrat. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880)transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
RAILROAD COMMISSIONER. (Term of office began February 15, 1882.)
NILS P. HAUGEN, of River Falls, Pierce county, was born in the parish of Modum, Norway, March 9, 1849; graduated at the law department of the Michigan State University, in the class of 1874; is by profession a lawyer; came to Wisconsin in 1854, and settled in Pierce county; was phonographic reporter of the eighth judicial circuit for several years, and of the eleventh circuit from July, 1876, to May, 1878; was elected as a republican to the assembly for 1879, and re-elected for 1880; was elected on the republican ticket as railroad commissioner, that office having been made elective by the legislature of 1881, receiving 83,507 votes against 69,420 for Ambrose Hoffman, democrat, 11,870 for John Nader, prohibitionist, and 6,901 for T. G. Brunson, greenbacker. Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) Transcribed by Rhonda Hill

Rev. E. Herrmann
Rev. E. Herrmann, who has been pastor of St. John’s German Evangelical church in this city and of the church in Dorchester for several years, accepted a call from Ellsworth, Pierce county, and left with his family for that place last Monday, much to the regret of many friends in and out of the church. Services  will be held by the Medford pastor until the church can be supplied. [Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wisconsin) Thursday, 14 Apr. 1904; transcribed by MZ]

Theodore B. Otis
Theodore B. Otis, deceased, was one of the pioneer merchants of Northern Wisconsin, having settled at Maiden Rock, Pierce county, about 1867, and for forty years the family has been prominent in the business affairs of this section.  The late Theodore B. Otis was born in 1831 in Upper Jay, Essex Co., N.Y., where he was reared on a farm and educated in the district school. He came West in young manhood in search of a permanent home, first visiting Illinois, and then came to Wisconsin and settled at Maiden Rock. Here he established a mercantile business, but later removed to Superior, at the time that section was having what is denominated a “boom” in about 1886. Here he conducted a large mercantile establishment, developing a fine business which he continued until 1889, when failing health compelled him to give up active business life. Mr. Otis sold his stock to his son, who removed it to Rice Lake, Wis. In 1897 he came to Apollonia, where he resided until his death in 1903. He was an honored member of the Masonic fraternity.  Mr. Otis married Miss Mary Houghton of New York and they had two sons: F.J. and Robert T. During Mr. Otis’ business career, in partnership with his son, F.J., he carried on a general store in Hayward, Wis. About 1891 they established a general store at Apollonia, which was the first store in the place, and is one of the few business houses which have survived to the present time. At first the style of the firm was F.J. Otis & Company, which was later, in 1895, changed to The F. J. Otis Co., the present name.  Theodore B. Otis was a life-long Republican, and a stanch adherent to his party’s principles. In his religious connections he was a Baptist. He was a conservative man in all the affairs of life and in his business relations he stood high in the esteem of his associates. He was successful in his affairs.

ROBERT T. OTIS was born in 1869, in Pierce county, Wis., and was educated in the public schools of Superior and Hayward. He has been continuously in mercantile life since he entered upon a business career. Mr. Otis is a member of the Mystic Tie Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of Ladysmith; the Royal Purple Lodge, I.O.O.F., of Ladysmith; the Encampment, of Apollonia, and the Maccabees of the same town. His name is one which stands high both in business and social circles in Rusk county, and wherever else known. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]

John Day Putnam
JOHN DAY PUTNAM (Dem.), of River Falls, was born in Brooklyn, Windham Co., Conn., June 19, 1837 and is a direct descendant of Gen. Israel Putnam of revolutionary fame; he received an academic and normal school education; is engaged in merchant milling; came to Wisconsin in 1859 and settled at Troy, St. Croix county, removing thence in 1874 to River Falls; enlisted as private in Co. F, 1st reg’t Wis. Vol. Inf. in August, 1861; was promoted to corporal and color-guard in 1862, and later made commissary sergeant of the regiment; he continued with the regiment in all its skirmishes and battles and was mustered out with the regiment in October, 1864; was assessor one year, treasurer five years and chairman of Troy township two years; has been chairman of town board of River Falls six years and of the county board three years; was an elector on the democratic ticket in 1880; was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 1,373 votes against 1,312 for C. R. Morse, republican.[Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 501; transcribed by Susan Geist]

Edward E. Redmon
EDWARD E. REDMON, who is conducting farming in Mapleton township, Cass county, on an extensive scale, is one of the progressive and influential citizens of his locality. His home farm is in section 18, and he is widely and favorably known for his energetic spirit and honest dealings. He has made his home in Cass county many years, and his property is the result of well directed labor. Our subject was born in Davenport, Iowa, January 1, 1856, and was a son of Elijah N. and Sarah A. (Knapp) Redmon, both of whom died in Prescott, Wisconsin. Our subject was the second in a family of four children, and when he was a young boy removed to Prescott, Wisconsin, with his parents, where he was reared and educated in the city schools of Prescott. He continued to live there and assisted his father in the grain business till 1877, when he went to North Dakota, and entered claim to land in Everest township, Cass county, and he has been a resident of Cass county since that date. He now owns three and a half sections of land and operates four sections annually. He has placed upon his farm such improvements as entitle it to rank among the finest pieces of property in Cass county, and is possessed of a thorough knowledge of his calling. Mr. Redmon has interested himself heartily in the building up of his community, and has taken a most prominent place in general matters. He has been chairman of the town board of supervisors for many years, and is a member of the drainage board of Cass county. He is a man of strong convictions, and in political faith is a Republican. He is a man of the highest honor, and is esteemed by all with whom he has to do. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Maggie Saggio]

William F. Redmon
WILLIAM F. REDMON, of Fargo, is now serving his third term as register of deeds of Cass County, North Dakota, and the duties of the office he has most efficiently and satisfactorily performed. He was born in Davenport, Iowa, April 17, 1854. His parents, Elijah N. and Sarah A. (Knapp) Redmon, were natives of Illinois and Pennsylvania, respectively, and were among the early settlers of Iowa, locating there in the early '50s. After some years residence in that state they removed to Prescott, Wisconsin, where both died. The father was a grain dealer. Mr. Redmon, of this review, passed his boyhood and youth in Wisconsin and completed his education in the State University at Madison, graduating from the law department of that institution in 1876. He never engaged in the practice of his profession, however, but was for some time interested in the grain business with his father at Prescott, Wisconsin. He came to North Dakota in 1881 and took up a claim in Cass County, which he improved and afterward sold. During his entire residence in this state he has followed farming in company with his brother and has been eminently successful. In 1880 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Redmon and Miss Cora E. Gates, a native of Wisconsin, by whom he has two children, namely: John N. and Ruby A. Socially he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America, and politically is identified with the Republican party. He has creditably filled a number of minor offices and in 1894 was elected register of deeds for Cass County, to which position he was re-elected in 1896 and again in 1898, being the present incumbent. He has always been found true and faithful to every trust reposed in him, whether public or private and is held in high regard by all who know him. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Laurel Durham]

Charles Smith
HON. CHARLES SMITH, Judge of the Superior Court of Douglas county, Wis., and one of the most respected and influential citizens of Superior and vicinity, is a native of Hampton, N.H. His parents, Robert and Hannah (Marston) Smith, were both of English descent, and the former was a well-to-do New England farmer.  Judge Smith passed his boyhood days at Salisbury, N.Y., where he attended the common schools, and there laid the foundation for the superior education he has since acquired. From the public schools he passed to Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., where for two years he pursued a classical course. Failing health compelled him to leave school and to seek a change in climate. Coming West, he located at Prescott, Wis., where he studied law with J. S. White, and was admitted to the Bar in 1869, practicing there and at River Falls, Wis. In 1870 and 1871 he was county superintendent of Pierce County, Wis. It was not until 1890 that he came to Superior, where he rapidly rose to the front rank of the legal profession. He became a member of the law firm of Ross, Dwyer & Smith, one of the foremost in this section of the State. In the spring of 1893 he was elected first Judge of the Superior court for Douglas county, and has ever since filled that position with great credit not only to himself, but to the profession he so adorns. His judgment and integrity are unquestioned by the citizens, who have learned to know his keen sense of justice and great love of truth. His superior intellect and vast fund of general information early won the respect of his associates at the Bar, and this respect soon developed into honest esteem as the noble inherent characteristics of the man became known. His manner is simple and unaffected, and he goes his way meeting each duty as it comes, and giving to his work careful study, applying his wisdom and learning to the needs of his fellowmen. In political affiliation he may be said to be an independent Republican. He is a close student of questions of the day, and ably speaks and writes in discussion of the same. His address upon the death of President McKinley will be long remembered by the large assemblage privileged to hear it.  On Sept. 18, 1878, Judge Smith was married to Miss Mary Haw, of Hudson, Wis., a woman who has every excellence of intellect and heart. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Nina Kramer]

Irving Todd
Irving Todd, of The Hastings Gazette, is one of the oldest newspaper men of the state. He came to the Northwest in 1857, and since 1860 has been continuously identified with country journalism in this vicinity. Through both parents Mr. Todd is descended from old Colonial stock of the sturdy type which made New England and the Middle States the bulwark of the Revolution. The family in America dates from Abraham Todd, who was born in Scotland in 1710, and as a Presbyterian minister settled at Horse Neck, Connecticut. He died just before the war, in 1772. Some of his descendants moved to Westchester County, New York and have for generations been identified with that portion of the Empire State. Joseph N. Todd, father of Irving, was a miller in good circumstances, living at Cross River. He married Miss Sarah A. Reynolds, granddaughter of Lieutenant Nathaniel Reynolds, a Revolutionary soldier. Her family was prominent in Westchester and, like that of her husband, thrifty and well-to-do. In 1856 Mr. Todd, in company with a brother and brother-in-law, was induced to invest quite largely in a saw mill at Prescott, Wisconsin, but in the following season--the panic year of 1857--went down in the general financial crash. However, the investment was the means of shifting the life of his son from the civilization of New York to the then new West. Irving was born at Lewisboro, New York, July 23, 1841, receiving a good common school education. In the spring of 1857 he came out to Prescott with his father to look after their business interests, and during that summer worked in the saw mill, running engine and sawing lath. He spent the following winter at the old home in New York, and in the spring the family moved West and settled permanently at Prescott. For a year or so Irving divided his time between farm work and school, in 1859 making his first acquaintance with what he has aptly called "the best school he ever attended," the printing office. June 18, 1860, he entered into a years' contract with C. E. Young, of The Prescott Transcript, at a salary of one dollar per week and board. Previous to this the young man had been fired with the desire to enter the life of a printer and newspaper man. He had read with enthusiasm Benjamin Franklin's autobiography--the first influence toward journalism. He was an apt student at the new employment. Within three months he was acting as foreman of the office, besides doing most of the editorial work and all of the proof reading. At the end of the year he was considered more than an average journeyman. The Transcript, however, had been undermined by political rivalry, and Mr. Todd secured employment as a compositor on The Hastings Conserver, then being run as a daily to supply the demand for war news. In a few months the daily edition was discontinued, Mr. Todd going back to Prescott and assuming editorial charge of The Journal, which Lute A. Taylor had moved in from River Falls. After some further experience on The Hudson Star, Mr. Todd bought the plant of The Conserver, then defunct, November 17, 1862, issuing his first paper the following Thursday. He has since been identified with Hastings. Four years later the paper was consolidated with The Independent as The Hastings Gazette, Todd & Stebbins, editors and proprietors. March 4, 1878, Mr. Todd bought out Mr. Stebbins' half interest. The present daily issue was commenced September 18, 1882, an August 27, 1887, Irving Todd, Jr., was given an interest in the business, the date being his twenty-first birthday. The firm has since been Irving Todd & Son. They have been financially successful. Mr. Todd has been an active Republican since the organization of the party. In 1867-8 he was assistant doorkeeper of the house of representatives at Washington, and was collector of internal revenue at St. Paul from January 1, 1872, to April 1, 1876. In the Masonic fraternity Mr. Todd is past master of Dakota Lodge, No.7; past high priest of Vermillion Chapter, No. 2; past district deputy grand master, past deputy grand high priest, and a charter member of Minnesota Consistory, No. 1. He has written the reports on foreign correspondence for the Grand Lodge of Minnesota since 1889. Todd's Digest, now in its fourth edition, is standard authority in this jurisdiction. July 13, 1865, Mr. Todd was married to Miss Helen Lucas. Their children, Irving and Louise, are now grown. Mrs. Todd died April 15, 1896. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse]

Hans B. Warner
SECRETARY OF STATE.
HANS B. WARNER, of Ellsworth, Pierce county, was born at Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, July 12, 1844; received a common school education; is by occupation a farmer; immigrated and settled in Dodge county, Wisconsin, in 1850, and thence removed to Pierce county in 1855, where he has since resided. He enlisted in April, 1864, as a private in Co. G., 37th regiment, Wisconsin volunteer infantry; was wounded and captured in front of Petersburg, Va., July 30, 1864, and was held a prisoner of war in Danville and Libby prisons until paroled September 1, 1864; was discharged from service on account of wounds received in battle July 18, 1865. He has held various local offices, and held the position of county clerk of Pierce county from January, 1869, to December 21, 1877, when he resigned, to assume the duties of secretary of state to which office he was elected as a Republican in 1877, receiving 78,506 votes, against 71,659 for James B. Hayes, Democrat, and 25,077 for Joseph H. Osborn, Greenbacker; and was re-elected in 1879, receiving 100,908 votes, against 74,813 for Samuel Ryan, Democrat, and 12,752 for George W. Lee, Greenbacker. [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]

HANS R. WARNER, (Rep.), of Ellsworth, Pierce county, was born at Gulbrandsdain, Norway, July 12, 1844; received a common school education; is engaged in general business and farming; immigrated and settled in Dodge county, Wisconsin in 1849, and thence removed to Pierce county, in 1855, where he has since resided. He enlisted, March 28, 1864, as a private, in Co. G, 37th regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; was wounded and taken prisoner in front of Petersburg, Va., July 30, 1864, and was held a prisoner of war in Danville and Libby prisons until paroled, September 1, 1864; was discharged from the service, July 1865; on account of wounds received in battle; he has held various local offices; was county clerk of Pierce county from January 1, 1869, to December 24, 1877, when he resigned to assume the duties of Secretary of State; was Secretary of State from January 1, 1878, to January 1, 1882; was elected state senator in 1882, receiving 3,993 votes, against 2,595 for F. N. McVean, democrat, and 754 for H. C. Van Hovenberg, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 480; transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
 


HOME

Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails