J. M. Adams
J. M. ADAMS, physician and surgeon, Spencer, born in New York, June 12, 1865. The family moved to Wisconsin in the same year, first to Sheboygan Falls and then to Fond du Lac, where he remained and began studying medicine, under the medical firm of Wyatt & Gray. He went into practice in the Fall of 1877; then went to Medford, in Taylor County, where he remained during the Summer, spending the Winter in Phillips, Price County. He then went to Negaunee, Mich., and afterward attended Wooster Medical College, at Cleveland. Returning, he practiced in Medford and Phillips again, and then went to Dakota. In 1879, came to Spencer, where he practiced till 1880, when he went to Keokuk, and graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons there. Returned to Spencer in 1881, and resumed his practice. He has certificate for specialties on eye and ear, another on chemistry and analysis of the urine, also on anatomy and practice. [Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 573; submitted by MZ]
A. Alexander, saloon, Phillips, was born in Dane Co., Wis., July 12, 1851. In 1868, he went to Sauk County, then to Monroe County, and later came to Stevens Point. He came to Worcester in 1876. He came to Phillips in 1877, where he has done business since. In 1877, he married Miss Jennie Cleveland, of Woodstock, Ill. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin 1881 (Price County) page 766; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
M. Barry, attorney at law, Phillips, was born in Queenstown, Ireland, July, 4, 1846; received a common school education and emigrated to the United States in Fall of 1867. He stayed for a short time at West Randolph, Mass., when he engaged in the boot and shoe business. He moved to Montello, Marquette Co., Wis., in Spring of 1868, where he remained for about one year; from thence, moved to Bloomfield, Waushara Co., to engage in book-keeping; remained at this point about nine months, when he moved to Fremont, Waupaca Co., and remained there until the Fall of 1877. During his stay in the latter place, following various pursuits, principally, book-keeping; held the office of Justice of the Peace, and was elected Town Chairman in Spring of 1877. In the Fall of 1877, moved to Portage County, to engage in book-keeping; there he stayed until February, 1879, when he moved to his present location, for the purpose of opening a law office, having been admitted to the Bar the previous January. Has held various local offices; was Deputy County Clerk during the first term of that office in the county, and is now Deputy County Treasurer, which position he conducts in connection with his professional business. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin 1881 (Price County) page 766; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
The profession of the law is naturally attractive to men of keen and logical minds, and the success attained by many demonstrates that the ranks of lawyers are not so overcrowded as to make persistent and able effort of no avail. Among those who have risen steadily in their line of work is Michael Barry, a leading attorney and influential citizen of Phillips, Price county. He is a native of Ireland, born in Queenstown, July 4, 1846, the son of Richard and Mary (O'Keefe) Barry. The Barry family for many generations have lived at or near Queenstown, and only a few have drifted away into other lands. Richard Barry, a boot and shoe dealer, is still living there, now in his eighty-eighth year. His wife, who died in 1860, bore him seven children, of whom Michael and one sister, Mary J., are the only ones in America. Michael Barry was educated in Ireland and after finishing his education, began his business life by working in a shipping office and drug store. On coming of age he sailed for the United States, and after spending a few months at Randolph, Mass., he pushed on westward, to Montello, Wis., and from there to Bloomfield, Waushara county, where he was engaged for some time in a clerical capacity. In 1869 he located at Fremont, and during his residence there read law by himself, being admitted to the Bar in January, 1878. The following year Mr. Barry decided upon Phillips as offering the best opening for a young lawyer, and time has more than justified his course. Besides attaining prominence in his profession, he has taken a leading part in county and town politics, and has been identified with a number of business enterprises in Phillips, so that he is as generally known as any man in the place. Mr. Barry was originally a Democrat in his political views, but was never bound by party lines in his voting. Of late years he has come out completely as an independent. For fifteen years he was a member of the board of education for Phillips. He was the first deputy county clerk, when the county was organized, and was the second county treasurer. He also served for some time as deputy register of deeds, and was district attorney four years. All these positions were filled most satisfactorily, for Mr. Barry brought to the duties the methods and principles of a good business man, and won the entire confidence of his constituents. Besides attending to the extensive and lucrative practice which he has built up, Mr. Barry has done much to develop the town. He was one of the incorporators of the State Bank of Phillips, and is president and director of it; he was also an incorporator of the Price County Land and Improvement Company, and holds the offices of secretary and treasurer in it. Still another department of the city's life with which Mr. Barry is in close touch is that of social organizations. He was a charter member of Elk River Lodge, No. 306, I.O.O.F., and is a past grand; in the Masonic fraternity he belongs to Ashland Commandery, No. 22, K.T.; and is past master of Phillips Lodge and High Priest of Keystone Chapter. Mr. Barry and his family are connected with the Presbyterian Church. In 1876 Mr. Barry married Jeannette L. Summer, who was born in Michigan, the daughter of Ira and Margaret Summer. Mr. Summer was one of the pioneers of Waupaca county, and for nine years held the position of United States deputy surveyor. Mr. and Mrs. Barry have had five children living, as follows: Arthur R., John Summer, student at University of Wisconsin; Mary J. and Jessie A., both graduates of the State Normal School at Stevens Point, and at present teaching; and Gertrude, a student at Phillips high school. The oldest son, Arthur R. Barry, was graduated from the law course of the University of Minnesota in 1900, and since that time has been in partnership with his father under the firm name of Barry & Barry. The firm does a general law, real estate and insurance business. Young Mr. Barry has held the position of district attorney since 1900. He is a promising lawyer and bids fair in time to rival his father. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Nina Kramer]
W. H. Briggs
W.H. Briggs, lumberman, Phillips, was born in Manson, Piscataquis Co., Maine, Aug. 21, 1848. He was with his parents in Illinois in '56, and then in Hortonville. His father was in the store, mill and farming business. He worked in a grist-mill, and in the woods, at times up to the time of his first coming to Phillips, having been on Elk Lake in 1869, locating pine timber. In his business of locating land, he came to where Worcester now stands in 1873, from there to Phillips in 1876, where he first worked at carpenter work, and in the Winter of '80 and '81, began lumbering. He also deals in real estate and pine lands, he being surveyor and practical woodsman. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin 1881 (Price County) page 766; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
Walter Brown, dealer in pine lands, Phillips, was born on Fox Island, Maine, June 1, 1850; came with his parents to Columbia Co., Wis., in 1855. His father was a seaman and captain, but came West and settles on a farm; Walter attended school here , and when fifteen years of age went into the woods, and as woodsman, has traveled over most of the timbered counties of the State. Came to Price County in 1876, and located in Phillips, as dealer in pine lands; in 1879 was appointed Register of Deeds. In 1880, he married Miss Johanna Muir, of Portage City. He is a member of Temple of Honor, and belongs to the Baptist Church. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin 1881 (Price County) page 766; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
Robert Dirimple, a merchant of Fifield, Price Co., Wis., and postmaster of that town, was born in Battle Creek, Mich., in 1855, son of Robert and Elizabeth Dirimple, and his connection with Fifield dates back almost to the commencement of the town. Mr. Dirimple grew up in Battle Creek and was educated in the public schools. When he was fifteen years old he went to Northern Michigan, and was engaged in lumbering there for thirteen years. His brother George was already located in Fifield, and in 1883 Robert Dirimple joined him, and going into his store worked there ten years. Only a few months before the town was swept by its disastrous fire he bought his brother out, so that the total loss entailed by the fire fell upon our subject. But disaster only nerved him to greater effort, and within a week he opened again in a rough board shed, and the following year put up his present store, where he has carried a general line of goods. On Dec. 20, 1887, Mr. Dirimple was married to Ella Jackson, of Manawa, Wis., by whom he has had six children, namely: Clara, born in 1889; Kenneth, in 1890; Eva, 1893; Isabelle, 1895; Mildred, 1897; and Paul, 1899. Mr. Dirimple is a genial, wholesouled man, generous and public spirited, with a host of friends, for he is popular both in social and fraternal circles. He is a member of Fifield Lodge, No. 79, I.O.O.F. Politically he is a Republican, and has served his town well in several capacities; he was town treasurer for years; was chairman of the town board for five years; and has been a delegate to all the county conventions. He was also a delegate to the Congressional convention at Rhinelander, when W. E. Brown was nominated, and to the State Convention which nominated Gov. LaFollette for his first term. In June, 1902, he was appointed postmaster of Fifield. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
William Edward Ellis, M.D.
William Edward Ellis, M.D., of Prentice, is with one exception the oldest established practitioner in Price county, and has been located there since 1892. Dr. Ellis is a Canadian, born in Prescott, Ont., Oct. 3, 1862, son of William and Mary E. (Jessup) Ellis. William Ellis was a native of Wales and in that country mastered the profession of civil engineer. He came to America about 1857, and for a number of years lived at Prescott, Ont., in which place he first met his wife and was married. In 1879 he was appointed general superintendent of the Welland canal and continued to hold that position until his death at St. Catharines in 1898, at the age of seventy-one. Mr. Ellis was always active in politics in the Conservative ranks, and at one time was a candidate for election to the Dominion Parliament, but lost it by nine votes only. Mrs. Mary J. Ellis was born at Prescott and there died. Her father, Edward Jessup, was a land owner at that place and was of English descent. William E. Ellis attended the high school at Prescott until he was sixteen, and after the family had moved to St. Catharines, studied at the Collegiate Institute there. When his preparation was completed he matriculated at Trinity University, Toronto, and later at McGill University, Montreal, where he was graduated from the medical course in 1887, taking honors in his class, with the two degrees M.D. and C.M. He was prominent also in the social and athletic life of the university and was captain of the football team. After graduation Dr. Ellis spent a year in Europe, hearing lectures from some of the famous physicians abroad, and then, returning home, decided to begin practicing in Watersmeet, Mich., where he remained until 1890. The next two years were spent in Ironwood, Mich., and in 1892 he went to Prentice and has been established there ever since. Aside from his large general practice, Dr. Ellis holds several positions professionally. He is surgeon on the Wisconsin Central Railroad, and of the "Soo" Road, and has been the health officer of the village for some time; he has served as president of the board of the United States Pension Examiners, and is at present an examiner for a number of the leading life insurance companies. Dr. Ellis keeps himself thoroughly informed on the medical topics of the day and is in touch with other physicians through membership in the State Medical Society. Since his university days he has belonged to the Zeta Psi fraternity and is also a member of the M.W.A. On Aug. 1, 1894, Dr. Ellis was married to Emma George, of Minneapolis, a native of Wisconsin. Both the doctor and his wife are Episcopalians in belief, although there is no church of that denomination in Prentice. An experienced and skillful physician, and a fine man personally, Dr. Ellis has deservedly won a high place in the regard of the community. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Theodore Engstrand, the popular and genial manager of the Brule Store Co., at Brule, Wis., is a native of Sweden, born June 4, 1877. His parents, O. and Mary Engstrand, were also natives of Sweden, and emigrated to America in 1879, settling in Price county, Wis., where they still reside. The father, O. Engstrand, was engaged in lumbering seven years but is now retired from active business. He was the father of six children, five sons and one daughter.
In the public schools of Price county, Theodore Engstrand received his elementary education. The schools then in vogue in that locality, were primitive in the extreme, the curriculum embracing only reading, writing and arithmetic. However, meager as were his opportunities, he succeeded by dint of effort in becoming well grounded in the preliminaries of an English education. Supplementary to this he took a year's commercial course at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Chicago, Ill., where by diligence he became thoroughly familiar with the principles of a technical business education. In 1898 he abandoned his school duties within two months of graduation, to assume the responsibility of managing the general mercantile establishment of the Brule Store Co., at Brule, which had been established in 1892 by his brother, C.G. Engstrand, and J.A. Lofquist. Since accepting this responsible position, Mr. Engstrand has continuously devoted himself to conducting the affairs of the establishment, which, under his wise guidance, has been eminently prosperous. Socially and fraternally, Mr. Engstrand occupies a conspicuous place in the community, being an honored member of West Superior Lodge No. 236, F. & A.M., and of the Knights of the Maccabees, Brule Tent No. 34. Mr. Engstrand's political affiliation is with the Republican party. He takes an active interest in local affairs, and has been honored by his party as delegate to Douglas county and Congressional conventions, serving three years in the former. Mr. Engstrand was married in Chicago, Oct. 2, 1900, to Miss Bessie Wilson, daughter of W.R. Wilson, of Brule. They have one child, Allen Theodore. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Richard Candling Evans
Richard Candling Evans, an esteemed citizen of Phillips, Price county, was born in Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales, May 14, 1828, the son of David and Jane (Owens) Evans, and grandson of David Evans, Sr., foreman of a shipyard in Liverpool. The Evans family was well known in Wales, where Dr. Christian Evans, a cousin of Rev. David Evans, was a very prominent physician and at one time treated the royal family. David Evans, father of Richard Candling, was educated for the ministry of the Episcopal Church. In 1836 he came to the United States and settled in Oneida county, N.Y., and while there became converted to Methodist doctrines, joined that church and preached there for a number of years. About 1852 he went to Manitowoc, Wis., and from there went to North Dakota, in 1874, where his death occurred in Jamestown, in his eighty-ninth year. Mrs. Jane (Owens) Evans passed away in Manitowoc county, Wis., in 1862, in the sixty-ninth year of her age. She was the mother of two sons and a daughter, as follows: John, who served through the Civil war, in the United States Light Artillery, and whose death occurred in 1891, near Oswego Center, N.Y.; Jane, who married Peter Wederman, and died in Jamestown, N. Dak., and Richard Candling. Richard C. Evans was sent to school until he was fourteen years old, and then he began working in the boat yards on the Erie Canal, in New London, N.Y. His education, however, did not entirely cease, for during his six years in New London, he attended a night school. In 1848 he went to Wisconsin, most of the way by boat, and landed at Port Washington. He located first at Manitowoc Rapids, and engaged in farming and lumbering for a few years, after which he went to Brown county, and spent ten years operating shingle mills near Green Bay. This business proved congenial to Mr. Evans, and he was successful at it, but conditions appeared even more favorable in Dorchester, Wis., so in 1875 he removed thither, and built a saw and shingle mill, but only operated it two years before he had a good opportunity to sell out. In 1881 he went to Hamlin county, S. Dak., and entered a "tree claim," near Castlewood, where he lived nominally for about twelve years, but spent most of his time traveling as an insurance agent or civil engineer. His home in Castlewood was one which he had built for himself, and he also owned a store building there. After leaving Castlewood, Mr. Evans traveled for several years through the South and West, but in 1898 settled down in Phillips, and has resided there ever since. His home is a pleasant one with ample grounds, and he gives much attention to horticulture. He is one of the directors of the State Bank of Phillips. His ventures have been very generally successful, and he can afford to take life easily now. Mr. Evans was the namesake and legal heir of a maternal great-uncle, Richard Candling, who left a considerable estate in Wales, but Mr. Evans has never attempted to prove his claim. Ever since the Republican party was formed Mr. Evans has been a member of it, and was a delegate to the first county convention the party held in Manitowoc county. His first vote was cast in 1852, for Gen. Scott, when he was a presidential candidate. Mr. Evans was formerly chairman of the county board, and since 1892, the supervisor of the first ward in the city of Phillips.
In October, 1849, Mr. Evans was married at Cedarburg, Wis., to his first wife, Sarah Ann Allen, daughter of James Allen, of Ozaukee county. Mrs. Evans was born in Oneida county, N.Y., in 1826, and died in Cato, Manitowoc county, Wis., in 1865, leaving four children, namely: Richard Truman, of Hamlin county, S. Dak.; John E., of Tacoma, Wash.; Ella B., widow of Edward Winchester, of Phillips; and Lela A., who married Dr. Phelan, of Duluth, and died July 15, 1904, aged forty-one years, leaving two children, Cleopatra and Francis Evans. Mrs. Evans was a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Evans second wife was Mrs. Jane A. West, of Cato, to whom he was married in December, 1867, and whom he has had one child, Elizabeth J., now Mrs. C.K. Randall, of Phillips. Mr. Evans has thirteen grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Mrs. Jane A. Evans is a native of Vermont, born in Montpelier. She was first married to George W. West, who was killed in the Civil war. He had enlisted at Cato, Wis., in Company K, 21st Wis. V.I., was wounded at the battle of Perryville, and died in a hospital. His widow was left with two children: James E., the deputy United States Marshal of Norfolk, Va., who is married and has three children; and Georgia E., who married Francis Hobson, of St. Paul, and has one child. Mr. Evans memory is very good, and he recalls with interest the many changes in manners and customs, as well as in the methods of doing business, which he has seen in the course of his long life. When he was first married he and his bride moved into the woods with all their worldly possessions in two trunks, drawn by an ox team, and when he was ready for the "raising" of his log house, all the neighbors within four miles came to assist in the ceremony. From that to his present comfortable way of living is a change indeed, but only one of many. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Allen Fraser, the present chairman of the town board of Fifield township, is one of the early settlers of that region, having located in Price county in 1880, when it was just being opened up. He is a native of Canada, born in Cornwall, Ontario, in 1859 and he was reared there on a farm, receiving the limited education available in the public schools. On reaching his majority in 1880, Mr. Fraser left Canada and made his way to Wisconsin. His first work was on the dam at Chippewa Falls, after which he went to Fifield. In 1898 he established his present livery concern, and with his invariable energy and ability has built up a good business. He has a well-stocked livery barn, and his prosperity is still further attested by his comfortable and well-appointed home. Mr. Fraser was married in 1890 to Miss Bertha Tesmer, of Colby, Wis., and their union has been blessed with one child, Marie Elizabeth. In his political sentiment Mr. Fraser is a Republican. While he is well informed on general politics, his principal interest is in local matters, and the welfare of his community. He has acted as clerk of the school board, and since 1902 has been chairman of the town board. He gives to his public trusts the same care and attention which he bestows on his own affairs, and his fellow townsmen feel perfect confidence in his administration of town matters. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Albert Donne Gibson, M.D.
Albert Donne Gibson, M.D., whose high attainments and natural ability have made him a leader in the medical profession in Price county, Wis., is pleasantly located at Park Falls. He was born at St. Austell, Cornwall, England, Nov. 20, 1874, son of Rev. John and Angeline Matilda (Donne) Gibson, both natives of England. The latter was born in Hereford, and was a direct descendant of Rev. John Donne, a poet of considerable renown, and dean of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, a position to which he was appointed by King James I. Mrs. Gibson was also related to the Miss Donne who became the wife of the noted poet, William Cowper. Rev. John Gibson was educated for the ministry, which profession he has followed since 1865. In 1883 he came to America, and located in Byron, Ill. While in his native land he was identified with the Primitive Methodist Church, but in his new home he became a pastor in the Congregational Church. Later he engaged in Home Mission work in Southern Illinois. For some time he was located in Springfield, Ill., whence, in 1892, he went to South Kaukauna, Wis., where he spent five years. The next five years were passed in Washburn, and in 1902 he located in Iron River. He has been recognized as a power for good in the different communities in which he has lived and he has always been public-spirited and progressive.
Albert D. Gibson attended the public and high schools in Springfield, Ill., and later in South Kaukauna, in 1893, he was a member of the first class ever graduated from the excellent high school. Before completing his public school work, he began the study of medicine with Dr. H.B. Tanner, of Kaukauna. He entered the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons at Milwaukee, and after a complete four years course was graduated there in 1897. He immediately located for practice at Park Falls, where he has remained continuously in general practice, except for about eight months spent in Kaukauna, as a partner of his beloved preceptor, Dr. Tanner. He has won the confidence of the public by his conscientious devotion to his profession, and his careful attention to his patients.
Dr. Gibson has, notwithstanding his wide practice, found time also to be a good citizen. He is progressive and is interested in everything that tends to advance or improve the locality in which he has made his home. He was an incorporator and is vice-president of the Great Northern Excelsior Co., which established a plant at Park Falls, and is an incorporator and director in the Park Falls State Bank. Fraternally he is a member of the I.O.O.F., in which he has passed all the chairs in the subordinate lodge, and he belongs to the Rebekahs, in which his wife has also passed all the chairs. Both were representatives to the Grand Lodge and Rebekah Assembly respectively which assembled in Milwaukee in June, 1905. He is also a member of the K.P. He belongs to and is examiner for, the K.O.T.M., M.W.A., R.N.A., U.O.F., National Fraternal League, W.O.W., and Modern Brotherhood of America, Beavers, etc. He also is examiner for about a dozen leading old line companies. The Doctor is greatly interested in all educational movements, and has served as clerk of the school board. He has also been secretary of the Business Men's Association. In his religious connection Dr. Gibson is a Congregationalist, and in the church of that denomination he has served as deacon, trustee, clerk, and also as superintendent of the Sunday-school. Professionally he is secretary and treasurer of the Price County Medical Society, and is a member and regular attendant of the State Medical Association, to which he contributed an able paper in 1903. On July 19, 1898, Dr. Gibson was united in marriage with Clara M. Eckardt, daughter of Fred T. and Caroline M. (Drumm) Eckardt, then of Kaukauna, now of Park Falls. Mrs. Gibson was born in Manitowoc, Wis., and graduated from the Kaukauna high school, and the Oshkosh Normal School, being one of the youngest graduates of the latter institution. She afterward taught most successfully for some time. Dr. and Mrs. Gibson have two children: Donne Evans, born Feb. 12, 1902; and Wallace Eckardt, born Sept. 23, 1903. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
W. D. Gumaer
W.D. Gumaer, real estate and pine land agent, Phillips, was born in Fairfax Co., West Virginia, May 16, 1848. His parents came to Wisconsin in 1849, locating in Winnebago County, and establishing a trading post at Menomonee; they remained there till 1860, when they went to Juneau County. In 1873, he left home and went on to the Big Suamico, and took charge of an office as shipping clerk. In November, 1857, moved to Phillips, taking contract for right of way. He was one of the first Side Board elected; he was County Surveyor, and, in 1880, was elected Register of Deeds. In December, 1873, he married Miss A. Howard, of Juneau, and they have three children- Prucilla, Richard, and an infant. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin 1881 (Price County) page 766; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
Edward Francis Haebig
Edward Francis Haebig was born in this city, June 16, 1883. The place of his birth was a log house on the site now occupied by the Schreiber Building, on South Central Avenue. Finishing St. John's School at the age of 14, he worked in the carving department of the Upham Factory for four months, in the Lawrence Nick Fruit Store on the site of the present Vienna Bakery for six months, and in the Sam Miller Fruit Store, now Weber Brothers No. 1 Store, one year. Next he was with the Kraus and Kraus General Store on the site now occupied by Krasin Brothers Wallpaper and Paint Store, as a clerk and deliveryman. Mr. Haebig remained with this store three and one-half years, after which he did passenger braking on the Princeton Branch of the Northwestern Line for seven months. Returning to store work, he spent eight years as a salesman in the H. C. Koenig Store, in the building now housing the Weber Brothers No. 3 Store. In 1909 he moved to Park Falls, and after following his trade there two and one-half years, and one year in Medford, he conducted a general store in partnership with George Kreutzer at Athens for six years. Retiring from the Athens firm, he managed a store in Wausau five and one-half years, and then entered the employ of the Consumers Store in this city four years ago. Fraternally, Mr. Haebig is affiliated with St. John's Court No. 506, Catholic Order of Foresters and Marshfield Assembly No. 34, Equitable Fraternal Union. In the former he holds the office of senior conductor, in the latter the office of secretary. Mr. Haebig was married to Miss Mary Schmidt, daughter of Peter Schmidt, Colby, by Father William Reding, Wisconsin Rapids, in the Colby Catholic church, September 11, 1906. Her mother passed away five years ago. Mr. Haebig's mother is Mrs. J. B. Haebig, North Central Avenue. His father passed away ten years ago. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Haebig are: Francis 21, Alphonse 20, Joan 19, Matthew 11, Bernard 7 and Robert 5. Politically, he is Independent. His hobbies are fishing and motoring. [Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) 13 Nov. 1928; transcribed by MZ]
Alexander R. Hamilton
Alexander R. Hamilton, chairman of the town of Lake, is a farmer by occupation and was one of the first settlers in the northern end of Price county, where he took up his present homestead in 1883. Andrew Hamilton, father of Alexander R., came from his native Scotland to America in 1848 or 1849, accompanied by his wife, Margaret (Scoular) Hamilton. They settled in Dodge county, Wis., on a farm, and made it their permanent home. Mr. Hamilton also ran an iron furnace at Iron Ridge and lost his life in an explosion there. His widow survived many years, passing away at Attalla, Alabama. Alexander R. Hamilton was born in Dodge county, Wis., Oct. 13, 1850, and there, on the home farm, grew to manhood, receiving his education in the public schools. He remained in that region until after his marriage, but in October, 1883, with his wife and one child, he moved into Price county, where he took up 120 acres of unbroken forest, in which wild animals still roved at will. He put up a log cabin and began work on his land, which today is one of the best improved farms in Price county, though some forty acres of the original homestead still remain undeveloped. He has acquired other tracts and owns 440 acres in all. A comfortable farm residence has succeeded the original dwelling, and he has ample barns for his crops and herds. For some years he has been engaged in the breeding of short horns, and but lately has turned his attention to Guernsey cattle. To some extent he has been interested in dairying. Mr. Hamilton was married in 1877 to Etta Judd, daughter of Reuben and Rebecca Judd, of Mayville, Dodge county, by whom he has two children still living, Arthur and Guy. Mrs. Etta Judd died in 1887, and in 1888 Mr. Hamilton married her sister, Eda. Reuben Judd went to California with an oxteam in 1848, the trip taking several months. He was there engaged in mining for five years, during which time his family heard nothing of him. After his return to Wisconsin his wife died and he went back to California, where he died. Among the farmers of the county Mr. Hamilton ranks as one of the most progressive. Practical in all his methods and ideas, he has been uniformly successful in all his undertakings, while his sterling qualities of mind and heart have won him the confidence and respect of his fellow townsmen. A Republican in politics, he has served the town of Lake four terms as supervisor and two terms as chairman of the town board. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Willis Hand (1881)
Willis Hand, lawyer and County Judge, Phillips, was born in Columbia Co., Wis., May 1, 1849. He was raised on the farm, and, when old enough, he attended common school. In 1866, he went to the Baraboo High School, afterward the Normal School of White Water, and commenced the study of law. In 1873, he entered the State University, and graduated from the law department in 1874. The Winter of 1874-5, he read in the office of J.B. Taylor, and then went to Neillsville, Clark Co., and practiced law till 1877, when he came to Phillips. He opened a law office, and when the county was organized, he received the appointment of County Judge from Gov. Smith. In 1878, he married Miss Mary E. Muir, of Portage County. They have one child, Wheeler G. Judge Hand belongs to the Temple of Honor and to the I.O.O.F., of Neillsville. He and his wife are church members. His father, J.F. Hand, now Postmaster here, was a member of the Assembly in 1864-5, from the Second District, of Columbia County, and has held other offices of town and county. He has also been a church member for fifty years, and a Son of Temperance sixteen. [Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (1881), page 766; transcribed by Sandra Wright]
Charles E. Hanson
CHARLES E. HANSON (Rep.), a member of the 1917 session of the assembly, was re-elected in 1918 without opposition. He was born in Modum, Norway, Feb. 27, 1855, immigrated to Wisconsin with his parents when 11 years old and settled in Pierce county in 1871. He was educated in the public schools, and has followed farming all his life. He served for several terms as assessor of the town of River Falls, as a member of the board of directors of the Equity Elevator & Warehouse Co., River Falls, and as a director of the Wisconsin Society of Equity. [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 499]
Robert Lane Hurd
Robert Lane Hurd, the register of deeds for Price county, and for many years an important factor in the politics of the county, was born June 19, 1858, during the brief residence of his parents in Sutton, Ont., Canada. He was the son of Lane and Harriet (Nichols) Hurd. Lane Hurd came from an old New England family, and was born in New Hampshire, but lived for the greater part of his life in New York. He learned the trade of a blacksmith in Essex county, that State, and made that his principal occupation. Later in life he read law at intervals and practiced in a small way. His trial of life in Canada lasted only a few years and he returned to New York, whence in 1863 he went west to Wisconsin. He worked at his trade there in Ripon, in Waushara county, and in Eureka, Winnebago county, and was living in the latter place at the time of his death in 1876. Politically he was a Republican. His wife, who was a native of New York, died in 1872. She was a sister of Nathan Nichols, a sheriff of St. Lawrence county, N.Y., for over four years, and also United States Revenue Collector. Robert L. Hurd attended the public schools of Eureka until he was twelve years old, and then began working in a stave mill. A few years later he became clerk in a store at Manawa, and remained there three years. In 1883 he went to Fifield and entered the employ of Roberts, Dirimple & Co., for whom he worked until 1895, and then became sealer and overseer for F. D. Lindsay. He is also interested in logging to some extent. Mr. Hurd has always found politics an absorbing subject, and has been influential in the local Republican ranks for a long time. He has been a delegate to every county convention for years, and in 1896 was sent to the State Republican convention. In 1898 the party put him upon its ticket for register of deeds for Price county and in that and the two following campaigns he was the successful contestant. In 1895 occurred the marriage of Mr. Hurd to Minnie Brosnan, daughter of Timothy and Hannah Brosnan. Mrs. Hurd was born in St. Lawrence county, N.Y., and there her father's death took place. He was a native of Ireland, and by profession a bookkeeper and farmer. Mrs. Brosnan, after her husband's death, removed to Fifield, and is now living there at the age of sixty. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hurd, namely: DeWitt, and Phyllis and Phillipa, twins. The family is connected with the Catholic Church. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Allen Jackson, one of the prosperous pioneers of Price county, has lived there since 1867, when he left his native State of Maine to try life in the great Northwest. He was born in Somerset county, Maine, April 8, 1842, and is the only one of his father's family to come to Wisconsin. William Jackson, father of Allen, passed his whole life on the farm in Somerset county, and attained the age of eighty-three years. He was a member of the Methodist Church, as was also his wife, and a man of the utmost integrity and industry. He was of Scotch-Irish descent, while his wife, whose maiden name was Lois Wentworth, came of a family long prominent in New England. Her father, Andrew Wentworth, was born in Massachusetts, but spent most of his life on a farm in Somerset county, Maine. Mrs. Jackson died at the home place, aged seventy-seven years. She was the mother of nine children, eight of whom are living. Allen Jackson passed the usual boyhood and youth of a New England farmer's son, and during the Civil war was enlisted in his country's service. He was enrolled Sept. 10, 1862, in Company A, 28th Maine V.I., and served one year under Gen. Banks. He took part in the siege of Port Hudson, and other engagements, and then caught the measles, being so ill that he nearly died, and never fully recovered from the effects. In 1867 Mr. Jackson left home and went to Wisconsin, spending the next five winters logging in Clark county. The summer of 1868 he was engaged on the construction of the Union Pacific railroad in Wyoming and Utah, but returned to Wisconsin, took up logging and rafting again, and for several winters was at work on the Flambeau river. Later he began buying timber and logging for himself, which business he continued until 1903.
Since 1876 Mr. Jackson has been at Phillips. In company with Charles H. Roser he built the first hotel there, the "Lake View House," and a year afterward put up his own home. The latter, together with the barn and another house owned by Mr. Jackson, was burned in 1894, but he rebuilt at once, and his present house is a thoroughly modern building. Mr. Jackson has also engaged in farming to some extent, keeps live stock, etc. In 1902 he took up 160 acres of timber land in Oregon, and is otherwise buying and selling real estate as opportunity offers.
Mr. Jackson is a Democrat, and is somewhat prominent in city and county politics. He has filled the offices of chairman of the town board, town treasurer, assessor, etc., and in 1900 was nominated for sheriff. He was a member of the building committee of the county board at the time the present court house was erected, a fine brick structure, that would reflect credit upon any county. Mrs. Allen Jackson was a Miss Josie Lee Zaberwsky, a native of Germany, who came to the United States in childhood. She was married to Mr. Jackson in 1878, and they have had six children, namely: Clara M., now Mrs. Daniel Hashie, of Phillips; William A.; Jerome; Russell J.; Verona M.; and Bartlett Sylvester. They attend the Catholic Church.
Mr. Jackson is closely identified with fraternal life, as he is a charter member of Phillips Lodge, F. & A.M., has belonged to the I.O.O.F. for twenty-five years past, and is enrolled with Phillips Post, G.A.R. Mr. Jackson has watched the opening up and developing of Price county, from the very beginning, and is familiar with all the phases of pioneer life. In the spring of 1874, the first farm in the county, the "McKinley farm," at the mouth of the Elk river, was opened, and Mr. Jackson was one who helped to clear it, while two years previously he had assisted in a similar opening in Sawyer county, that of the "Hackett farm" on the Flambeau river. His long life in this section has made him perfectly at home in the whole wooded region throughout several counties in Northern Wisconsin. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
William H. Lippels
William H. Lippels, county clerk of Price county, and a highly esteemed citizen of Phillips, is a native of Germany, but has lived in America since 1877. His parents were John H. and Elizabeth (Barrenger) Lippels, and he was born Nov. 10, 1862, in Hanover, which had been the home of the Lippels for generations. William H. Lippels, great-grandfather of our subject, was a brick layer and contractor in Hanover. John H. Lippels, father of William H. (2), served in the Hanoverian army in 1866 as a sergeant. At the battle of Langensalza, he was wounded, and was disabled for about a year. His military service in all, covered five years. In 1879 he came to America, and settled on a farm in Sauk county, Wis., but his death occurred in Cropper, Okla., Jan. 13, 1902, at the age of seventy-three. His wife had passed away the preceding January, at the age of seventy-one. They were the parents of three children: Henry, of Cropper, Okla.; William H.; and Dorothy, who married Henry Beck, of Belvidere, Illinois. William H. Lippels received his education in the public schools in Hanover, and he was sixteen years old before he left his native land. When he first came to this country he joined an uncle in Sauk county, Wis., and stayed with him until 1880, when he took a logging contract at Chippewa Falls. A business career of that nature was put to an end, however, in 1885, when he was so injured by a falling tree that his left arm had to be amputated. With his plans for life thus altered, Mr. Lippels entered a commercial law school in Eau Claire, and spent two winters there, after which he became the special agent of St. Joseph Hospital at Chippewa Falls, and for ten years was so occupied, traveling over northern Wisconsin, with headquarters at Phillips. In the fall of 1898 Mr. Lippels was elected clerk of Price county, and was re-elected in both 1900 and 1902. He has always been a Republican, and has ever taken a citizen's part in public affairs. In 1893 Mr. Lippels and Isabel Cook were united in marriage. Mrs. Lippels was born in New Brunswick, daughter of Charles and Anna (Morton) Cook, later of Marinette, Wis. They have one child, Myrtle. The family is connected with the Presbyterian Church. A number of social orders claim Mr. Lippels as a member; he is especially prominent in the I.O.O.F., in which he was chosen a delegate to the Grand Lodge held in Eau Claire in 1903; he also belongs to the M.W.A. and the E.F.U. Mr. Lippels has great confidence in the future of Wisconsin and has invested rather largely in lands. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Edward Alfred Mews
Edward Alfred Mews, Route 5, Marshfield, son of Mrs. Albert Mews, Auburndale, was born in Chippewa Falls, November 5, 1895. When he was two years old his parents moved to a farm three miles northwest of Auburndale. His father died 21 years ago. He attended the public school in the community of his birth, and the Lutheran school in the village of Auburndale. During the first three years after leaving school, he followed farmwork in the towns of Auburndale, Marshfield, and near Shawano. After that he worked in the Wolf River Paper Company's mill in Shawano, as a papercutting machine operator for two years; in the shipping department of the Curtis and Yale Factory in Wausau as a door-checker for eight months; and in the North Dakota harvest fields and the Wisconsin logging woods near Mellen, Park Falls, and Ladysmith three years. Following that he operated a dray line in Minneapolis two years. He enrolled in the army in September 1917, and was assigned to the machine-gun corps, and served in this branch of the army 18 months; six months of which were spent in England and France. He ranked as corporal during the greater part of his army life. Returning home after the war, he began farming. He has since been engaged in that work, during the first seven years on land of his own, three miles northwest of Auburndale; and the last two years on a rented farm, three and one-half miles east of this city. Mr. Mews was married to Miss Frieda Wendt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Wendt, town of Marshfield, by the Reverend L. Th. Thom, in the parsonage of the Immanuel Lutheran Church, on May 18, 1921. Mr. and Mrs. Mews have five children: Verna 6, Ruth 5, Ethel 4, Edward 2 and Delores 1. In politics he is Independent. His hobby is motoring. Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) 7 Nov. 1928; transcribed by MZ]
William Jacob Neef
William Jacob Neef, a prominent merchant and well known citizen of Phillips, Price county, was born in Columbia county, Wis., March 7, 1864, and is of Swiss and Welsh lineage. Jacob Neef, his grandfather, came from the Canton of St. Gallen, Switzerland, early in the nineteenth century. He died in Buffalo, N.Y., aged ninety-two years. Henry Neef, son of Jacob and father of William J., located in Columbia county, Wis., in 1856. He belonged to the Republican party and served four years as county treasurer. At the age of sixty-five he was still in active business, and had been employed for some years as a bookkeeper. His death occurred while on a visit to Jefferson, Wis., Nov. 2, 1903. His wife, Helvetia (Reese) Neef, was born at Painesville, Ohio, of Welsh descent, and is still living, though now near the allotted span of three score years and ten. William J. Neef was educated in the public schools of Columbia county, which he attended until he was seventeen years old. At that age he went to Dorchester, Wis., and for eleven years was employed in a sawmill, a part of the time grading lumber. In 1892 he went to Prentice and started in the mercantile business, which he followed there for six years. During two years of his residence in Prentice, Mr. Neef served as under sheriff, and in 1898 was nominated for sheriff on the Republican ticket, but was defeated. Two years later he was nominated again, and that time was elected. He also served as a town treasurer. Since the expiration of his two year term, he has resided in Phillips. Mr. Neef erected a store building in Prentice, and since going to Phillips has also put up a two-story, double-store building there, in the heart of the business district. He also owns quite a little other property in the city. On April 15, 1884, Mr. Neef was married to Agnes Rogers, who was born in Fordham, Wis., the daughter of Andrew and Julia Rogers, now of Easton, Adams Co., Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Neef had four children, Marie Agnes, Edward H., Shirley L. and Winifred. The wife and mother was taken away Nov. 15, 1897, aged only thirty-two years, and in the very prime of life. Mr. Neef is deeply interested in a number of fraternal orders, and belongs to the local lodge and chapter of the F. & A.M., I.O.O.F., M.W.A. and K.O.T.M.; he is also a member of the Marshfield (Wis.) Lodge of the B.P.O.E. In the Odd Fellows he passed all the degrees and is also a member of the Encampment. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Wilford H. Nichols
Wilford H. Nichols, county surveyor of Price county, has lived in Wisconsin since he was four years of age, and is one of the most experienced woodsmen of northern Wisconsin. He was born at Shoreman, Vt., April 4, 1852. His parents were Eugene and Rosella (Bertrand) Nichols, of Quebec, Canada, and New York State, respectively. The Nichols family, or Nicholas as the name was spelled originally, is of French stock and is descended from the Gen. Nicholas who was a commander in Canada in the Colonial days. Eugene Nichols learned the butcher's trade, and established himself in business in Whitehall, Vt., and worked there until 1856, when he went to Ripon, Wis., and engaged in logging on Wolf river, and in farming. After six years in Ripon he moved to St. Charles, Winona Co., Minn., and in 1887 to Spokane, Wash., where he died in November, 1903, aged seventy-four years. Mrs. Rosella Nichols was a daughter of Edward Bertrand, a butcher by trade, who went from Canada to Ripon in 1847. In 1860 he removed to Winona county, Minn., preceding his son-in-law's family by two years. He was the father of fourteen children, and lived to an advanced age in Minnesota. Three of Mr. Bertrand's brothers also left Canada to make the United States their home. Mrs. Nichols died in Spokane at the age of sixty-six.
Wilford H. Nichols began his school life in Ripon, where he went to the public school. His education was continued at St. Charles, and when he was twenty-two he became a surveyor and civil engineer. He was first engaged for a number of years as a timber cruiser, through central and northern Wisconsin, and finally in July, 1882, he settled at Phillips, where he still makes his home. His occupation is now almost exclusively land surveying, and one piece of work on which he was engaged in 1893, was locating and platting the town of Sisseton, S.D. Mr. Nichols was one of the "sooners" who entered the Reservation at night in order to secure and hold claims. He remained there for two years, but in 1895, returned to Phillips. For some three years from 1888 to 1891 Mr. Nichols carried on a hotel, the "National House," then the leading hotel of the city, but which has since burned down. His time was considerably occupied, too, with the duties of elective positions, to which he was chosen. A Republican in his political views, he was an alderman of Phillips two years, and for the same length of time served as justice of the peace in the town of Fifield. His first election as county surveyor for Price county came in 1886, and he has been chosen for the same position a number of times since, as the present is his sixth term. His map of the county, an admirable one, was drafted in 1901, and was published the following year. In 1878 Mr. Nichols was united in marriage with Elizabeth Hawks, who was born in Illinois, July 17, 1850, but at the time she was married she was living in Neillsville, Wis. Her death occurred Feb. 17, 1904, at Phillips. She was a member of the Catholic Church. Only one child, Joseph, has survived of those born to Mr. and Mrs. Nichols. Mr. Nichols is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Phillips Lodge No. 225, and the chapter at the same place. He is a man much respected in business circles, and socially, and that he has many friends and supporters is evidenced by his many re-elections to office. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Charles G. O'Hare
The free and active life, close to the very heart of nature, which the woods of northern Wisconsin offer, is one of great attractiveness to many men, even aside from the tempting promises of material gain, and the variety of labor demanded in the lumber business enables each to follow his own special bent. Among those who have passed much of their time in the forests is Charles G. O'Hare, now a resident of Phillips, and one of the most capable cruisers and timber estimators in the State. Mr. O'Hare was born in Kilbourn, Wis., June 29, 1862, son of Patrick F. and Mary (Sanderson) O'Hare. Patrick F. O'Hare was a native of Ireland, but came to this country with his parents when he was eight years old. The family settled on a farm near Milwaukee, and the father and mother died there. Patrick went when a young man to Sauk county, settled at Newport, and when that place was moved a few years later to Kilbourn, he went there and engaged in mercantile business. He was killed in his sixty-eighth year by a runaway team. He was a Republican in politics, taking an active part in local affairs. Fraternally he belonged to the Masons and the I.O.O.F. His wife, Mary Sanderson, was born in Pennsylvania, but her father, J.G. Sanderson, was an early settler at Newport and Kilbourn. She died some few years before her husband. Charles G. O'Hare attended the public schools at Kilbourn and received a good education. On coming of age he left home, went to Phillips, and began work in a logging camp, but by the next season started out as a timber cruiser, and has been so engaged most of the time since. For a few winters he bought timber and logged it. He has been more or less interested in buying lands, and has put up several buildings in the city, but still the cruising has taken most of his attention, and he is best known in connection with it. He spent seven months in Indian Territory as a cruiser for the United States Government, and also passed a winter in New Mexico in similar employment. His ability is so well known, that his services are in constant demand. Mr. O'Hare is an adherent of the Republican party, and has filled some local positions, but is not in any way actively engaged in politics. He is at present alderman for the Second ward, and has also served as city assessor. On Sept. 28, 1889, Charles O'Hare was wedded to Miss Helga Nelson, born in Boston, daughter of N.J. Nelson, now of Ogema, Wis. She has borne her husband five children, named: Marie, Ralph, Edward, Marshall and Helen. The family attend the Methodist Church, and all are held in the highest esteem. Mr. O'Hare is a member of the M.W.A. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
O. K. Queary
O.K. Queary, an enterprising real estate dealer of Medford, Taylor county, has made this country his home for some time, but passed the first thirty years of his life in his native land, Norway, where he was born in Christiania, Dec. 11, 1857, and where his parents still live. Mr. Queary was educated in Christiania, and carried his studies to an advanced point where he was given the degree of Examen Artium, corresponding to our degree of Bachelor of Arts. Entering the Norwegian army, he served sixteen years, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant. In 1889 Mr. Queary came to America, spent a short time in Philadelphia and Chicago, and then went to Phillips, Wis., where he established himself as a dealer in real estate, and also compiled maps and town plats. Seven years later he located at Medford, and has continued his previous occupation there. He does a flourishing business, dealing largely in timber lands, although much other property passes through his hands also. Mr. Queary compiled maps of many counties and towns, of Phillips and Medford, and a large scale wall map of Taylor county, together with a pocket atlas of the last. All his maps are drafted with a pen, and are done with remarkable skill, while he has also devised and patented some admirable drafting tools. Mr. Queary devotes his attention almost exclusively to professional and business affairs. He has no political affiliation whatever, but since becoming a citizen of the United States, he voted always for issues rather than party. The only office he has filled was that of under sheriff of Price county, in which capacity he served for one term. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Norway has given many of her sturdy sons to the New World, and the Northern lake region in particular owes much of its development to the strength and daring with which they faced the hardships and dangers of the frontier life. Among many who have left their native land for America is Alexander Rasmussen, of Price county, who was born near Christiania July 23, 1873. The paternal grandfather was Rasmus Christenson, who by his wife Bertha, had a son Jacob. Jacob Rasmussen was born near Drammen, Norway, and from the time he was fifteen he worked in sawmills. In 1874 he brought his family to America, and after trying Green Bay and several other places in Wisconsin, finally took up a homestead claim at Dorchester in 1877. For several years, however, he continued his work in a sawmill. After ten years in Dorchester he became a citizen of Phillips, and has since lived there, at present in the employ of the John R. Davis Lumber Company. At the time of the fire in 1894 Mr. Rasmussen was carrying on a general store, and lost not only the store with all its contents, but also his home. He now has another comfortable residence with modern improvements. Jacob Rasmussen married Miss Caroline Olson and they reared a family of seven children: John R., of Snohomish, Wash.; Oscar, of Phillips; Alexander; George, of Phillips; Herbert, of Bemidji, Minn.; William, of Phillips; and Matilda, now Mrs. Tuttle, of Tacoma, Washington. Alexander Rasmussen was only a few months old when his parents came to Wisconsin, and so has had the usual training of the American boy in a new country. He attended both schools at Dorchester and Phillips, and then for several years helped his father in the store until that was burned. Since then he has been principally occupied in public capacities. Mr. Rasmussen is a Republican in his party affiliation, and has been elected on that ticket to several offices. He served one term as city clerk, and in 1898 was elected clerk of the circuit court, and was returned for the same office in 1900, and again in 1902. Fraternally he is a member of the F. & A.M. Phillips Lodge, Keystone Chapter. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Abe Wiley, proprietor of the "Wiley House," Fifield, Price county, Wisconsin. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Freeman W. and George E. Sackett
Freeman W. and George E. Sackett, under the firm name of Sackett Brothers, are the proprietors and editors of the Phillips Times, the leading journal of Price county. The former has been associated with the town from its very beginning, and was the founder of the paper. The brothers are the sons of Alzera and Sarah A. (Harbaugh) Sackett, who were natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania, respectively. On the father's side they are of English descent. Alzera Sackett left Vermont in early life, and went first to Ohio; as the frontier line was gradually pushed farther West, he went on, in 1847, to Wisconsin, and took up wild land in Fond du Lac county. The balance of his life was spent there, and he died in 1868, at the comparatively early age of fifty-seven. His widow lived to be eighty-one years old, surviving until 1901. Her father, William Harbaugh, came from Ohio and took up land in Fond du Lac county, where he lived to be ninety-three years old. In early life he had lived in Pennsylvania, and had been a tanner by trade, following the oak bark process. Freeman W. Sackett, the eldest son of the family, was born at Warren, Trumbull Co., Ohio, Nov. 5, 1847, just about the time that his father went to Wisconsin. The family followed before long, and Freeman grew up and was educated there, attending the schools of Fond du Lac county. Later he supplemented this by work in a night school. He began working in the printing line while quite young, and for some time was in the office of the Fond du Lac Journal. In 1867, before reaching his majority, Mr. Sackett started out for himself and established the Weyauwega Times, which he conducted successfully for nine years, and then sold. The Wisconsin Central Railroad reached the present town of Phillips in 1876, and Mr. Sackett immediately put up a frame building, the first one erected there, and began the publication of the Phillips Times, which has ever since been under his management. Mr. Sackett was always eager to advance the growth of the country, and was active in all public affairs. In 1879 when the organization of Price county was effected, he was a leading spirit in the work, and was chosen the first county clerk, a position to which he was afterward re-elected several times. Two years previously he had organized the first school and for a long time was a member of the school board. He was also the first postmaster at Phillips, and, being a Democrat, was appointed to the office again, during Cleveland's second term. Although hardly more than a boy at the time of the Civil war, Mr. Sackett succeeded in being accepted as a volunteer in Company A, 38th Wis. V.I., enlisting Sept. 5, 1863. He was in a number of the hardest fought battles of the war; served till the close of the conflict, and in spite of his youth received several promotions. He was discharged July 12, 1865. In later years he has served as colonel on the staffs of Govs. Rusk, Peck and Upham, and he is commander of the local G.A.R. Fraternally Mr. Sackett belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Masons, and is identified with the Ashland Commandery of K.T. In 1873 Mr. Sackett was married to Ann E. Meiklejohn, of Weyauwega, Wis., by whom he had one son, William H. After the death of his wife he was married, in 1878, to Emma J. Hunt, of the same place, by whom he had two sons, Frank A. and Homer P. George E. Sackett, the junior member of the firm of Sackett Brothers, was born in Fond du Lac county, Wis., June 12, 1861. He received a good public school education, and later spent two years at Lawrence University, in Appleton, Wis. In 1878 he went to Phillips and learned the printer's trade in his brother's office there. Five years later he located at Fifield, and established the Fifield Advocate, which he published for ten years. He was very successful in his venture and had a good paper, but after Fifield was ravaged by fire in 1893, he decided not to rebuild. Instead he returned to Phillips and went into partnership with his brother, Freeman W. Misfortune seemed to follow Mr. Sackett at first, for within a year after the partnership was formed, the office of the Times was also destroyed by a fire, which swept the whole town. But with the energy and enterprise which characterize the true western business man, the brothers started in on their work anew, without missing a single issue of the paper, although the first number after the fire was printed in Prentice. The policy of the paper has always been Democratic, and its clear and forcible editorials have made it a power in the county. Mr. Sackett was married in 1886, to Kate Devens, of Weyauwega. They have a son, Freeman D., born in 1887. The family is connected with the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Sackett is also actively concerned with public life and is now serving as city clerk, while for several years he was a member of the board of education. In secret organizations he is also prominent, and belongs to a number of orders, including the F. and A.M., I.O.O.F., M.W.A. and others. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Gabriel E. Schwindt
One of the prominent attorneys of Price county is Gabriel E. Schwindt, a German by birth, but educated in this country, to which he came in his fifth year. He was born Dec, 28, 1848, in Waltbethlehem, Prussia, and his parents were Jacob and Catherine (Kratz) Schwindt. Jacob Schwindt was a shoemaker by trade, and followed that work several years in Germany before coming with his wife to America in 185. They went to Waukesha county, Wis., and lived in both Delafield and Waukesha, supporting the family by making shoes. He died when only forty-nine, at Waukesha, Jan. 24, 1877, and his wife survived him only a year. Mrs. Schwindt's father, Valentine Kratz, was one of the pioneers of Waukesha county, and settled on a farm in the town of New Berlin in the early forties. Jacob and Catherine Schwindt had six children: Catherine, born during the voyage to America, and now deceased; John, deceased; Gabriel; Margaret, who married a Mr. DeWitt, of Chicago; Lena, now Mrs. Joseph Emery, of Chicago; and William, of Waukesha. Gabriel E. Schwindt was sent to the public schools, and then to Carroll College, from where he graduated in the literary course in 1877. Even before completing his college course, the young man had begun reading law, in the office of Samuel Randall, of Waukesha, and in 1878 was admitted to the Bar of the Circuit Court, and two years later, in January, 1880, to the Supreme Court. For a time Mr. Schwindt practiced in Waukesha, but about 1881 went to Kimball, Brule Co., S. Dak., where he remained until 1886. In that territory he was prominent in public affairs, and was a delegate to territorial convention which drafted a State Constitution, the basis of the present one. In that convention he acted as chairman of the committee on County and Township Organizations, and was also a member of the committee on Judiciary. In this convention the delegates paid all the expenses themselves. In Dakota he was a director of schools for several years, and also served as municipal attorney.
In the fall of 1886 Mr. Schwindt returned to Wisconsin, and after practicing for some two years at Medford, went in the fall of 1890, to Price county and opened an office at Prentice. Twelve years later he removed to Phillips, finding that a more convenient location, and since going there he has given his exclusive attention to law. Mr. Schwindt has always been greatly interested in politics, both local and national and has taken the stump in several campaigns, always speaking for the Democratic party, to which he belongs. He has been the regular nominee of the party for district attorney since he went to Price county, but he has never been an active candidate. During his residence in Prentice he was elected village attorney.
Mr. Schwindt has been twice married. He first led to the altar, in 1870, Barbara Hart, of Chicago, who lived only three years after her marriage, and left one child, since deceased. He was married to his present wife in 1878. She was a Miss Alice Doane, daughter of Richard Doane, of Genesee, Wis. To this union have been born four children: Orville, agent for the Wisconsin Central Railway at Dorchester, Wis.; Bernalda, who married Harry Miller; Stella; and Charles, all of whom have been carefully educated and given every advantage. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Nina Kramer]
Willis Peck Sperry, M.D.
Among the successful physicians of Price county, the name of Willis Peck Sperry should take a leading place. The oldest practitioner in the county, and skilled equally in medicine and surgery, Dr. Sperry has been in a medical environment all his life, for his father was a physician before him. The ancestors of the Sperry family came from England in 1639, and settled in Connecticut, and Dr. Willis P. Sperry is in the seventh generation from the original emigrant. The first grant of land given to the family was made to extend "as far west as the sun shines and rain falls," and while these magnificent boundaries have been curtailed ere now, the original farm home is still owned by Sperrys. On this farm was located the famous "Regicides Cave," in which were concealed the judges who had condemned Charles I. During the Revolution most of the family were Tories. Dr. Sperry's maternal ancestors, on the other hand, were patriots and fought in the Colonial army. The Carlton family located in Connecticut about the same time the Sperrys came there. Peter Carlton, Dr. Sperry's grandfather, moved to the Western Reserve, Ohio, in 1809, and so poor were transportation facilities that he was obliged to go from Portage county, Ohio, to Cleveland by way of Pittsburg. Dr. Willis Sperry, father of our subject, studied medicine in the Western Reserve College at Cleveland. In 1852, while the tide of immigration was at its height to California, he went thither by way of the Nicaragua route and practiced there nine years. Returning to Ohio, he located at Tallmadge, and followed his profession there until his death in 1902, at the age of seventy-nine. He married Hulda E. Carlton, who lived to be sixty-three years old, and died six years before her husband. Willis Peck Sperry was born in 1856, during his parents' residence in California. He was sent to his father's Alma Mater, and was graduated from the medical department of the university in 1881. His first years as a physician were spent in southern Wisconsin, and then in 1884 he went to Price county. The first year he passed at Fifield, and from there went to Phillips, where he has since been located and has built up a large practice, both general and surgical. On first going to the city, Dr. Sperry bought a drug store and he still retains his interest therein. Dr. Sperry was married to Susan E. Smith, who became his wife in 1886. Mrs. Sperry is a daughter of A.D. Smith, of Waupaca, Wis. To this union has come one son, Carlton, born in 1890. Dr. Sperry is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Ashland Commandery, K.T., and Milwaukee Consistory. He belongs to the County, the Wisconsin State and the Northwestern Medical Societies and the American Medical Association. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
Helen F. Thompson
Helen Thompson was born in Manawa. After a career as a teacher, she ran a hotel and was elected to the Park Falls School Board for more than a dozen years. Her civic involvement included a position as president of the Red Cross during World War I. In 1924, Thompson was one of the first three women elected to the Wisconsin State Legislature in 1924 and was reelected in 1926. A Republican like most Wisconsinites, she represented Price County, a forested area south of Lake Superior. [source unknown, submitted by MZ]
Samuel Howard Winch
Samuel Howard Winch, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Winch, was born in this city December 26, 1870, and has made his home here since, with the exception of ten years spent in Park Falls and Athens, Wisconsin; and Cambridge, Ohio. The house at the southwest corner of Walnut and Third Streets, recently remodeled into the parsonage of the new Christ Lutheran Church, is where he was born. Graduating from the local high school in 1899 and supplementing this training with two years in the University of Wisconsin and the Boyles' Business College at Wausau, he became associated with his father as a bookkeeper in the Slack Barrel Stock Manufacturing Business. At first working a few months at the local plant, know as the Marshfield Stave Company, and later at the plants in Park Falls and Athens, known as the E. E. Winch and Company. After the sale of the Park Falls plant, he went on duty in the office of the Athens plant. In 1912, following the sale of the Athens plant, he returned to this city and served at the local factory until it was discontinued in 1920. This plant was later sold to the Marshfield Manufacturing Company, makers of beekeepers' supplies. Since the stave company went out of business, Mr. Winch, has busied himself as the district manager of the Winona Oil Company and as a salesman to electrical appliance concerns. Mr. Winch was elected as alderman of the Fifth Ward in April, 1928. His shift to the Seventh Ward resulted when the city was redistricted to increase the number of wards from six to eight. He is the chairman of the council finance committee and a member of the board of health. He was married to Miss Ruby Margaret Riggs at the home of her parents in Cambridge, Ohio, June 22, 1904. They have three children: Eli Eugene 23, Elenor Orpha 20 and Samuel Riggs 14. The nuptial ceremony was performed by the Reverend C. V. Mulligan, a Presbyterian minister. Fraternally, he is a past master of the Marshfield Masonic Blue Lodge and a member of the Marshfield Chapter Masons and the Neillsville Knight Templars. He also is affiliated with the local Elks and the United Commercial Travelers. Politically, Mr. Winch is a progressive Republican. His hobbies are motoring and fishing. [Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) 13 Feb. 1929; transcribed by MZ]
G. D. Young
G. D. Young, a rising young journalist, and the editor and proprietor of the Park Falls Herald, since 1902, brought to his work on the paper a proficiency and power gained by long and thorough training in his profession, and gives promise of ever increasing success in his chosen career. Mr. Young was born in Paisley, Ont., Canada, in 1878, the son of John Young. He was educated in the public schools and was given a thorough training in the English branches. He very early displayed an aptitude for journalistic work, and at the age of seventeen entered the office of the Paisley Advocate as an apprentice at the case. His natural liking for the work made the place interesting to him, and his diligence at it so commended him to the manager of the office that he was promoted from one stage to another, remaining seven years on that paper. After one more year of experience on a country newspaper as foreman for the Tavistock Gazette, Mr. Young felt himself sufficiently equipped to start out for himself, and with laudable ambition began looking for a field where he could try his own powers. The Park Falls Herald offered good inducements and seemed to promise success, so in October, 1902, Mr. Young purchased it, and settled in Park Falls with his mother and her family. The Park Falls Herald was established Sept. 21, 1900, by H. J. Smith. The following April is was bought by R.E. Smith, and he conducted it until 1902, when he sold it to Mr. Young. Since then Mr. Young has been joined in partnership by his brother, Thomas R. Young, recently in the employ of the Canadian Pacific Railway at Owen Sound, Ont. He was born at Paisley in 1874, receiving his education in public and high schools there. At the age of twenty he entered the employ of the Canadian Pacific Railway and remained with that company almost continuously until his arrival in Park Falls in December, 1903. He is now agent for the National Express Company at this point, the business being conducted in the Herald Building. Young Brothers have enlarged the Herald from a five-column, eight-page paper, two of which were printed at home, to a six-column eight-page paper, and four pages are printed in Park Falls. They have moved their plant into larger quarters and have added up-to-date presses, machinery and type. Both typographically and in literary form it is a most creditable paper. It is Republican in politics and is devoted mainly to the interests of Park Falls and Price county. Young Brothers find time for fraternal work in spite of their manifold personal interests, G.D. being an active and honored member of the I.O.O.F., while Thomas R. is popular in the Masonic organization. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails