A-D | E-M | N-Z
Daniel A. Olin
RACINE: Daniel A. Olin, was born June 3, 1826, at Canton, St. Lawrence County, New York. His grandfather, Caleb Olin, settled in Addison, Vermont, at an early day, and was a captain in the Revolutionary War. His father, Joseph Olin, was married in Vermont, to Huldah Smith. Soon after they removed to Canton, at that time almost an unbroken wilderness. He was a captain in the War of 1812, and took part in the battle of Plattsburg. After the war he divided his time between farming and operating in real estate. Daniel A., the subject of this sketch, was the youngest of ten children. His mother died when he was three years of age. In 1831, his father married Hepsebeth B. Andrews, who bore to him two children, making twelve in the family. She was in the best sense of the term a true woman, intelligent, just and affectionate, and making no distinction between her husband's children, but treated them all with a mother's solicitude and kindness.
To her influence Daniel ascribes whatever is praiseworthy in his own character. Such was his appreciation of her character, that she has been heard to say that Daniel never spoke an unkindword to her. Daniel received his education at the public school of his own town, and at Canton Academy, which was at that time a flourishing institution of its kind. He remained with his father on the farm, teaching school during the winter, until 1849, when he was married to Sarah S. Sweet, who died in May 1852, leaving one daughter. In June 1854, he was again married to Mariette Teall. One daughter was born of this union. In 1851, he removed to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, entering immediately into the service of the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad Company, which road was not then completed to Waukesha, in the capacity of foreman of the men employed in the construction of the road. After the completion of the road to Eagle, in 1852, he took the position of conductor of a passenger train, and continued in that capacity until the spring of i860. He was conductor of the first passenger train that ran from Milwaukee to the Mississippi river. In 1860 he was appointed assistant superintendent of the same road, which was then called the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien railroad. He held this position until the spring of 1865, when he was appointed to the position of assistant superintendent of the Milwaukee and La Crosse railroad. In 1866, at the consolidation of this road with the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien road, he was appointed superintendent of the La Crosse division of the Milwaukee and St. Paul railway, which position he held until July 1869, when he was appointed general superintendent of the Western Union railroad, which position he now holds. Mr. Olin's religious views are liberal, although he was educated in a strictly puritanical school. During the war he was a war democrat, and used his influence for the suppression of the rebellion. He was a member of the common council of Milwaukee five years, three years of which time he was president of the board. Mr. Olin is a man of unquestioned natural and acquired ability, of practical common sense — the basis of all genuine merit - of sound judgment, of accurate knowledge of men, and of their capabilities of usefulness. He is firm in his convictions of duty, and thorough in execution. His firmness does not amount to obstinacy, for he is always open to conviction. He is cautiousin all his relations to others, obsequious and sycophantic to none. He pays no homage to wealth and power. He sympathizes with the poor and the weak. He observes in his daily life the golden rule of 'doing unto others as he would have others do unto him.' He has great reverence for deity, and contributes liberally to religious and benevolent institutions. An incident in the life of Mr. Olin equally honorable to his head and his heart was exhibited in his affectionate tenderness to his wife's mother, who spent the last years of her life in his family, and the tears he shed over her grave were - an eloquent tribute to the characters of both.
Mrs. Olin, his wife, is a woman of genius, learning and literary taste. Her contributions to the press have been much admired for their originality of thought, their freshness of sentiment, and especially for their naturalness and simplicity. Her translations from the German authors are critical and just.Her literary pursuits do not conflict with her domestic duties. They are relaxations from the labor of life; order and economy prevail in her household. She is a loving wife, kind mother andgenial companion. Such qualities of head and heart as characterize Mr. Olin and wife are rarely found in any of the relations of life. They are especially interesting when they characterize husband and wife, between whom there should be harmony of opinions and congeniality of sentiment. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self=Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
William P. Packard
WILLIAM P. PACKARD (Dem.), of Racine, was born December 13, 1838, in the town of Chatham, Medina county, Ohio; had a common school education; is a painter; came to Wisconsin in 1847; was alderman in the city of Racine in 1876 and 1878; was elected assemblyman for 1880, receiving 1,005 votes against 1,041 for F. W. Klein, Republican. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]
William P. Packard
WILLIAM P. PACKARD (Dem.), of Racine, was born December 13, 1833, in the town of Chatham, Medina county, Ohio; had a common school education; is a painter; came to Wisconsin in 1847, and located at Spring Prairie, Walworth county, removing to Racine in 1854; has held various local offices; was alderman two terms and is now mayor of Racine; was member of assembly of 1879, and was elected to the assembly of 1883, receiving 1,691 votes, against 1,244 for George Tomlinson, republican, and 145 for James P. Corse, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 501; transcribed by Susan Geist]
Robert M. Pollock
Not by gift, purchase or influence can one rise at the bar, but solely by merit must he gain his reputation, his ability winning him greatness and enabling him to pass on the highway of life many who had accomplished a part of the journey ere he started out. Through his own well-directed efforts Mr. Pollock has become one of the prominent lawyers of Fargo and has become a leader in public affairs. He was born in Racine county, Wisconsin, December 16, 1854, a son of James H. and Eveline (Halstead) Pollock, of New York. The father, whose life was devoted to farming, removed to Wisconsin in 1848 and there made his home until his death. He had nine children, four sons and five daughters, seven of whom are now living, and five are now residents of North Dakota. During his boyhood and youth our subject attended the public schools of his native state, and then taught school for three years, during which time he also read law. Subsequently he entered the law office of Judge Elbert O. Hand, of Racine, and in 1879 was admitted to practice at the bar of Wisconsin. In 1880 he came to Casselton, North Dakota, and opened an office, being engaged in practice there for seventeen years. While there he was city attorney, mayor, a member of the board of education, was a member of the constitutional convention in 1889, and in 1891 was appointed by Governor Burke as a member of the compilation commission to compile the laws of the state. He also served as state’s attorney for Cass county for four years from January, 1893. He removed from Caselton to Fargo in January, 1897, and here he has since successfully engaged in practice. In 1891 he formed a partnership with H. G. Scott which still exists, and they retain a clientage of so representative a character as to alone stand as evidence of their professional ability and personal popularity. Mr. Pollock was married, in December, 1881, to Miss Christine Corse, at Racine, Wisconsin, and their family consists of seven children, namely: Evelyn H., Mina, James W., John C., Hal., Robert B. and Hew. In his political affiliations Mr. Pollock is a pronounced Republican and has taken an active part in the campaigns of the state. Socially he belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
Joseph Very Quarles
JOSEPH VERY QUARLES, Racine, was born in the city of Kenosha, December 16, 1844, and, having received preparatory instruction, he entered Michigan University, took a full classical course, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1866. He then commenced the study of law with O. S. Head, one of the oldest practitioners of the state; was admitted to the bar in 1868, and entered upon practice in Kenosha in partners with Mr. Head in 1868. When the war of the rebellion broke out he entered the army and was lieutenant in Company C, Thirty-ninth Wisconsin regiment. On returning from military service he recommenced the practice of his profession, which he has since continued at Kenosha. While yet young, Mr. Quarles has been called to public life: was district attorney for Kenosha county six years; mayor of the city in 1876; president of the board of education for 1877 and 1878; member of the assembly in 1879, and state senator in 1880 and 1881. During senator Quarles’ service in the legislature, he gradually arose to influence and considerable distinction, serving on the judiciary and other important committees. At the election of United States senator in 1881, to fill the place of August Cameron, Mr. Quarles, without being a candidate, received a handsome vote in the republican nominating caucus, and, had he not immediately withdrawn his name, there is no knowing what might have been the consequence. At that time Mr. Quarles declared his intention to withdraw from public life for ten years, under the advice of physicians, to save his health, which had become impaired by over mental labor in the duties of office; and he was obliged, for the same reason, to withdraw from the senate before the final close of the session. Mr. Quarles has a very extensive law practice, and has a just reputation as a public speaker. Since this sketch has been prepared, Mr. Quarles has moved to Racine in the prosecution of his profession in that city. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Sharon Witt]
HYLAND RAYMOND, hardware merchant, 137 Main street; was born in Racine Co. in 1839; married Emily M. Foster, daughter of J. W. Foster; they have had five children—Hattie M., born Sept. 21, 1866; died Dec. 19, 1870; Ella F., born Feb. 14, 1868; William H., Dec. 19, 1870; died Dec. 19, 1878; Edward, born Sept. 14, 1873; fifth child was born March 1, 1879; not named. Mr. Raymond was elected Alderman from the First Ward in 1862; also elected as Supervisor from the Second Ward in 1862. His father is one of the oldest settlers in the county, and up to this date is enjoying comparatively good health. [The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties Wisconsin (1879) page 609; submitted by Diana Heser Morse]
SENECA RAYMOND, proprietor of Congress Hall; came to Racine June 20, 1836; born in Madison Co., N. Y.; was some time in the lumber business; went on a farm of 640 acres, in the town of Raymond, named after his father, Elisha Raymond; was in the commission business, as the firm of Dutton & Raymond, for twelve years; owned and kept, from 1842 to 1857, the Exchange Hotel, afterward burned. Mr. S. Raymond married Miss Susan Beatty, of Manlius, Onondaga Co., N. Y.; they had four children—Elizabeth, born Aug., 1836; Eliza N., May 27,1838; died May 4, 1850; Frank, born May 18, 1848; Mattie, Aug. 31, 1851; Mrs. Susan Raymond died Sept. 11, 1875. Mr. Raymond was elected Treasurer of the county while Kenosha was yet a part of it, and held that office four years; elected Alderman several terms, also School Commissioner. The family attend the Baptist Church; he is a member of the Masonic fraternity. [The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties Wisconsin (1879) page 609; submitted by Diana Heser Morse]
RACINE: The subject of this sketch, a native of Marionethshire, North Wales, was born on the 6th of August 1818, and is the son of Griffith and Ann Richards. He received his early education in the common schools of his native place, and later attended an academy in Liverpool. After completing his studies he engaged in farm-work with his father, and spent ten years in this occupation. At the expiration of this time he emigrated to America, arriving in New York City on the 1st of June, 1841, thence he went to Ohio, and in the ensuing August settled at Racine, Wisconsin. Here he purchased five hundred and eighty acres of land, and since that time has devoted himself chiefly to his farming interests. In 1852, he turned his attention to raising fancy stock and has now some of the finest horses in the West, the pedigree of three of which we append: "Swigert," foaled in the spring of 1866, is a brown stallion, and was bred by the late Robert A. Alexander, of Woodford County, Kentucky. He was got by Mr. Alexander's Norman dam "Plaudina," by "Mambrino Chief," grand dam, the Burch mare, by "Brown Pilot," dam of "Brown Pilot" by Cherokee, son of "Sir Archy." "Swigert" is a brother of "Blackwood," who has a record of 2:23; also a brother of "Lulu," who has a record of 2:14 3/4; also a brother of "Nashville Girl," record 2:20. "Rosalind," a sister of the dam of "Swigert," has a record of 2:2i 2/4.
"Alden Goldsmith," foaled in the spring of 1874, a bay stallion, was bred by Alden Goldsmith, of Blooming Grove, Orange County, New York. He was got by "Volunteer," and he by Rysdyk's Hambletonian dam, "Maid of Orange," by Rysdyk's Hainbletonian grandam; dam by "Saltram," he by Webber's "Whip," he by Blackburn's "Whip," and he by imported "Whip." He is a brother of "Huntress;" also of "Gloster," "Abdallah," "Bodine," "Wm. H. Allen," and many others. "Western Chief," foaled in June, 1871, a bay stallion, was bred by Geo. W. Ogden, of Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky. He was got by Curtis' "Hambletonian;" he by Rysdyk's dam, "Lady Ealenon," by "Mambrino Chief;" grandam, a thoroughbred mare, bred in Virginia and noted as a trotter.
Mr. Richards has also a fine herd of Durham cattle, and the finest lot of Essex and Berkshire hogs in the West. Besides he has a flock of two hundred and fifty sheep, mostly Spanish merinos, and at the exposition of 1867, in France, received a diploma and bronze medal for superior samples of wool. He has been identified with the republican party since its organization, and in 1873 was elected to the State legislature. He was married in February 1841, to Miss Jane Evans, and they have two sons and three daughters. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
HERBERT ROOT, deceased, was for almost twenty years prominently identified with the interests of Valley City, Barnes county, North Dakota, as one of its leading attorneys and business men. He early learned that knowledge is the key with which the poor boy could open the store house of the world and cull its choicest fruits. The result is he became one of the most successful men of his city, and essentially the architect of his own fortune. Mr. Root was born on a farm in county Holdimond, Ontario, Canada, August 12, 1848, a son of Isaac and Sarah (Dobie) Root, also native of Canada. He was a direct descendant of Henry Rott, of Pennsylvania, the name having been changed in his father's time. Isaac Root was born in Lincoln county, Ontario, in 1808, followed the occupation of a farmer throughout life, and died in 1891. The mother of our subject, who was born in 1811, departed this life in 1858, and two years later the father married Calista Barrett, who still survives him and resides in Canada. The early education of Herbert Root was acquired in the district schools of his native province. Coming to the United States at the age of twelve years, he located at Qunicy, Illinois, and accepted a position as clerk with his uncle, Henry Root, then conducting one of the largest dry goods stores in that city. Our subject remained in his employ until 1869, when he entered the Methodist Episcopal College at Quincy, where he pursued a general course of study for one year. The following year he engaged in teaching a country school near Racine, Wisconsin, and in 1870 became a student at Racine College, where he took the classical course and graduated with high honors in 1872, standing at the head of his class and receiving the degrees of A. B. and A. M.. He also won five gold medals at that school. It was by his own unaided efforts that he secured his collegiate education. He was next a student at the Nashotah Theological Seminary of Waukeshaw county, and from that institution he was graduated in August, 1874. Mr. Root was then ordained a deacon in the Episcopal church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Washington boulevard and Peoria street, Chicago, and as such was in charge of Grace church at Sterling, Illinois, for a time. He was next sent to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Wells, and subsequently became assistant to Dr. John Fulton, dean of the Cathedral at Indianapolis, Indiana, where he remained a year. He was then rector at Grace church, Muncie, Indiana, until March, 1877, when he came west and for three years was rector of St. Paul's church at Brainard, Minnesota. In March, 1880, Mr. Root became a resident of Valley City, North Dakota. His first venture here was in the private banking business, but in 1881 he assisted in organizing the First National Bank, of which he was cashier until January, 1882, when he resigned and organized the Farmers' & Merchants' Bank. He was president of that corporation until it went into voluntary liquidation in 1890, paying one hundred cents on the dollar. He then successfully engaged in farming and the practice of law, and while he maintained an office in the city, his home was in the country north of the place. He was prominent in business circles and occupied an enviable position in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
On the 13th of March, 1875, Mr. Root was united in marriage with Miss Harriet C. Warner, of Racine, Wisconsin, daughter of Eli W. and Hannah Warner. Her parents were from Hartford, Connecticut, and were among the early settlers of Racine county, Wisconsin. Mr. Root died January 5, 1900 at St. Luke's hospital, St. Paul, Minnesota, whither he had gone, accompanied by his wife, for medical advice. His death was due to disease of the heart, and was a terrible shock to a large circle of friends. His best obituary is found in the general epistle of St. James, first chapter, twenty-seventh verse. His mortal part lies in Mound cemetery, Racine, Wisconsin. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]
Hans T. Solberg
Master of the schooner "Belle" came to Racine April 1, 1866; bought a fifth of the schooner "Belle,"and was made Master of her; he was born in Norway, Dec. 10, 1823; the son of Tollif and Anna Solberg; left Norwayfor Rotterdam, Holland, thence to America, Aug. 1, 1844; landed in Philadelphia, Penn., Oct. 1. Married, Oct. 31,1859, Anna Johnson, of Norway; they have had five children - Thomas L., born in Texas, Dec., 11, 1860; Peter, inTexas, Feb. 11, 1862; Caroline M., at Racine, Sept. 22, 1866; Harry A., Sept. 11, 1868; Lizzie, March 15, 1872.Member of the Methodist Church. [Unknown Source, Submitted by researcher Stine Kvistad]
Marshall M. Strong
MARSHALL M. STRONG, Racine, was a native of Amherst, Massachusetts, where he spent his early days at the academy and college of that place, but finished his collegiate course and graduated at Union College, Schenectady, New York. He then engaged in the study of law in the city of Troy, in that state, and was then admitted to the bar. In June, 1836, he came to Racine county, then almost an unsettled country. In 1838 he was elected a member of the territorial council, and was one of a committee of three from that body to revise the laws of the territory, in which capacity he faithfully performed his duties. From that time forward his reputation was established in the front rank of his profession throughout the territory. In 1846 he was elected a member of the house of representatives of this state, where he continued to perform his duties with untiring industry until an appalling calamity called him from his labors to mourn in silence and solitude the entire loss by fire of a much beloved and interesting family. As time restores the deeply afflicted to themselves, to society and to the business of the world, his usual cheerfulness returned to him, and he to his professional labors. He was a member of the first constitutional convention for framing a state constitution, but so widely different from a majority of that body that he resigned before the close of the session, and the constitution offered to the people was by them rejected. In 1848 he was again chosen to the legislature, took an important part in the revising of the statutes of the state, and then permanently retired from the political strife so necessarily connected with public life, and which was uncongenial to his thoughtful, quiet and domestic nature. In 1850 he again married, and the domestic happiness enjoyed by him and his interesting family has rarely been equaled. He left a wife and three children to mourn, in common with the whole community, his death, which occurred at Racine, March 9, 1864, – their and the public’s irreparable loss. While his strict sense of justice prompted him on all occasions to be exact in the financial affairs of his clients, and in no way reckless or extravagant in his own, yet he had less love of money for its own sake than most men of the present day, as his liberal use of it for the good of others will bear witness. His extensive reading, aside from that of his profession, was extensive and varied. His love of literature and science prompted him to spend time and money for the establishment of Racine College, and the erection of the college building, being always forward in such public and private enterprises as the public good seemed to require. He was a man of strong will and great firmness of purpose, yet seeking less his own advantage than what he conceived to be for the public good.
During the terrible struggle in which our country had been involved during the three years preceding his death, he was an unconditional supporter of the government, using his means, employing his pen, and raising his voice while strength lasted, to aid the cause which all true patriots were anxious to see triumphant. As a public speaker he had a happy faculty of stating his views clearly, in pure and concise language; his reasoning, though not marked by any labored attempts at ornament, were forcible and convincing, and never, even in the heat of debate, did he allow passion to influence or control him. In his intercourse with his fellow-men he was courteous and gentlemanly. Toward his professional brethren he was unassuming, and ever ready to advise and assist the young portion, who placed unlimited confidence in his judgment and rectitude. Dignity characterized his bearing in court, as elsewhere, and his uprightness, fairness and candor in trying cases gave him as much influence with the court and jury as a man ought to have, but that influence was ever used to promote justice and was never abused. No person had just caused to complain that he ever endeavored to obtain an unfair advantage; and yet his care and watchfulness were an effectual safeguard for his client’ interests. His exalted views of the nature and duties of his profession were such that he despised the tricks and chicanery resorted to by many, and always used his influence to effect a settlement of difficulties between litigants, rather than to add fuel to the flame. He had a quick, apprehensive, retentive memory, a discernment remarkably active, and reasoning faculties eminently vigorous. His philosophical mind in originality and profundity of thought was equaled by few. Had he occasion to investigate any subject, he was persevering in research and thorough in study. In conversation uncommonly instructive, in private life a genial companion; he was always tender and compassionate to the poor, and always ready to relieve them; strictly temperate in his habits, and entirely free from the vices into which mortals are too often led. In short, truth, justice and gentleness, than which nothing can be more sacred and pure, mingled in his every act, and characterized the man. He closed his life and his labors, retaining the love of his immediate friends, and the respect and confidence of all who knew him. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Sharon Witt.]
RACINE: John Tapley was born in the parish of Paddlesworth, County of Kent, England, August 13, 1824, being the youngest of a family of ten children born to Daniel and Elizabeth Tapley, natives of the same place, where the ancestors of the family had resided from the dawn of history. For generations they had been engaged in ocean trading, principally in the East Indian tropic. The name is well known in heraldry, and the motto on the family crest or coat-of-arms, which has been handed down from time immemorial, speaks a truth borne witness to by all who have lived long enough to observe the transitory nature of created things "All things change." His father began a seafaring life at the age of ten years on one of his fathers ships, and at the age of twenty-one commanded a fourteen-gun sloop, well manned, with a letter of marque, commissioned to take all the French vessels she could capture on the high seas. He took several prizes during the Peninsular War, and was slightly wounded in one engagement, but never made prisoner. Retiring from the sea at the close of the war with a handsome fortune, he purchased an estate upon which John was born. His birth occurred in the days when the church collected its tithes of the increase of the land, flocks, herds, etc., and being the tenth child the babe was offered to the parson as his share of the increase of the family, who laughingly replied, "Send him over, and I'll take him." The father, however, decided that, large as the family was, he could not spare him, and reconsidered the proposal. In 1825 a lease expired to an estate belonging to the Earl of Radnor, which had for many years been in the family of Mr. Mark Sanford, Mrs. Tapley 's father, and upon which he had amassed a fortune. John's father decided to sell his freehold and rent Walton Farm, as the estate referred to was called; a step which, owing to the prostration of business following the war with France and the burdens of taxation incident thereto, swallowed up his entire fortune, and induced him in April 1835, to leave England for America, taking with him four of his children, and Old Mollie*, a faithful family servant. He settled at Lairdsville, Oneida County, New York, where, purchasing a small farm, he was enabled to live comfortably with the aid of a small annuity secured to him by Mrs. Tapley 's father.
Our subject was now eleven years of age, and for two years thereafter remained at home, working for the neighboring farmers during the summer, and during the winter months attending the country district schools. These two winters comprised fill the school advantages he ever enjoyed in America. But he was endowed with good natural gifts, which he assiduously cultivate^ by reading and observation. When thirteen years old his father hired him to Mr. Jacob Hunt, at Andover, Oneida County, New York, for two years, where, in assisting in the duties pertaining to a country store and post office, adjuncts to which were a doctor's office and a farm, with cows to milk night and morning, books to post, mails to make up, medicines to mix, and dry goods and groceries to be sold in barter with country customers, his opportunities for the attainment of habits of industry, as well as economy, on a salary of one dollar per week, out of which he was expected to clothe himself and pay incidental expenses, were ample. When fifteen years of age his father decided to have him learn a trade, and accordingly apprenticed him to a cabinet-maker in Clinton, New York, for a term of three years. During his apprenticeship a cousin was attending Hamilton College, close to the village, through whom John obtained access to the college library, a privilege which he improved by extensive reading, and which proved to be the most important educational advantage of his life. Just at the close of his apprenticeship his mother died. This was the first great sorrow that fell athwart his pathway. She was a noble, Christian woman, whose example and advice to her children had a controlling effect upon them while she lived, and is still remembered and cherished as a treasured keepsake. Saddened and disheartened at the loss of his wife Mr. Tapley returned to England, taking with him two of his sons, our subject and an elder brother named Edward. The latter soon returned to America, but John remained for a time in England, and was soon after appointed to a position in the customhouse at London, a life office, bringing him in contact with businessmen of every commercial country in the world. He had already become known as "the Yankee," on account of his open advocacy and preference for America and its institutions.
Marrying, in 1848, Miss Charlotte Scott, daughter of Robert Scott, Esq., of Addington, Kent, England, he announced his determination to leave the service of the Queen so soon as he could make his arrangements to do so, which being consummated he sailed with his family for the United States in April 1850. The two preceding years, 1848 and 1849, were those in which the cholera scourge visited London, when so many were prostrated by the epidemic that the duties of those not on the sick list were increased tenfold. Mr. Tapley was spared the scourge, but the strain on his physical and nervous system had been so great that an entire change of occupation and circumstance were deemed essential to his restoration. Accordingly on arriving in America he moved to what was then the western frontier and settled on a farm in Kane County, Illinois, where he remained till 1856, entirely regaining his health. At the last named date he disposed of his farm, moved to Racine, Wisconsin, and became one of the proprietors and editor of the "Racine Advocate," one of the oldest papers in the State. Thiswas the memorable year of the Fremont campaign, during which Mr. Tapley began his editorial efforts, furnishing weekly his full share of pungent and telling reading matter for the paper. He continued to wield a trenchant pen in the cause of freedom during the ensuing four years, contributing in no small degree to the success of the republican party in i860. His services were recognized by Abraham Lincoln, who appointed him postmaster of Racine, a position which he retained during the following eight years, serving the second term rather at the earnest solicitation of his fellow-citizens without regard to party than as the result of his own personal inclinations. He sold his interest in the newspaper in 1863, and during the continuance of the war divided his attention between his official duties and the Soldiers Relief Society, of which he was always an active member and for a long time president. During the early part of the war he was appointed, by Governor Harvey, State agent to visit the Wisconsin sick and wounded at Vicksburg, when an order from the war department prohibited the entrance of civilians within the military lines other than those authorized by the secretary of war. Retiring from the post-office in 1869, he was tendered by Messrs. J. L Case & Co., of Racine, the largest manufacturers of threshing machines in the world, an appointment to travel for them, making collections a specialty. During a period of four years following he visited, in the interest of his employers, nearly all of the Western States, extending his trips from the Red River of the North to the Gulf of Mexico. The arduous duties incident to this department of the business so taxed his energies as to make a change desirable, and he was accordingly, in 1873, tendered by the same firm the position of superintendent of agents, together with the oversight of the printing, a line of duty for which his previous connection with the press eminently fitted him, to which was added, on the retirement of Colonel John G. McMynn from the position, the supervision of the annual sales. In 1858 Mr. Tapley was commissioned by Governor Randall as captain of the 13th Regiment of State Militia. He was an active instrument in the formation of the Racine County Agricultural Society, of which he was twice president. In his religious views he is of the Baptist faith, and was for many years a trustee of the First Baptist Church of Racine. In politics, he was formerly an anti-slavery democrat, but his connection with that party terminated with the repeal of the Missouri compromise, from which period until the close of the rebellion he was an active an earnest republican. The reconstruction measures of the radical wing of the party, including the immediate enfranchisement of the blacks and the remanding of the conquered States to a territorial condition, with other extreme measures, were at variance with his views, and he was obliged, from conscientious convictions of duty, to sever himself from such leadership. He now calls himself a conservative democrat republican, and votes for those whom he considers the best men, regardless of party ties. Possessing much business energy, unswerving in his personal attachments to friends, unyielding in his convictions of right, public-spirited and very generous, he is classed among the most influential, popular and useful citizens of Racine. Eminently self-made, his example cannot fail to have an inspiring influence upon some poor but aspiring youth on whose ears may fall the life-story herein portrayed.
*The history of Mollie is told in the following epitaph upon her tomb, over which was erected a handsome marble slab in Mound Cemetery by Mr. Tapley in 1861: THE GRAVE OF MOLLIE To the memory of one who humbly, affectionately, faithfully, did the duties of her station in the service of Mr. Daniel Tapley, England, and his son John, of this city, for nearly half a century — Mary Ambrose, born at Folkstone, England, July 4, 1785. Died at Racine, May 24, 1861, aged seventy-six years. Well done, thou good and faithful servant. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Peter D. Thomas
Racine Journal (2 February 1922) submitted by Diana Heser Morse
VETERAN OF CIVIL WAR
Peter D. Thomas, for years a familiar figure about the courthouse where he was a janitor for a long time, is one of the two colored residents of Racine who served in the Civil war. Mr. Thomas was born in slavery on April 8, 1847, at Tiptonville, Tenn., near Island No. 10 on the Mississippi river. The plantation on which Mr. Thomas lived consisted of 1,000 acres and was owned by a widow, who with four daughters occupied the place. Mr. Thomas was 14 years old when the war broke out. Every plantation in the region sent slaves to work on the fortifications which were being erected to blockade the river.
Mr. Thomas said to the Journal News: "Island No. 10 was fortified with big guns. All farmers who owned slaves were required to send some to help build the fortifications. The more they had the more they were required to send. All white men not in sympathy with the south had to leave within ten days or serve in the confederate army. The Yankees came down the river with gun boats and attacked the forts on the island and mainland. But it could not be taken by direct assault. So the gun boats ran past the fortifications one dark night so as to make an assault from the rear by moving troops across the river.
"The next morning the gun boats attacked the forts near Tiptonville. Everyone hurried to the river bank to see the fight. The cannon balls came so close to us that I said, 'Uncle I want to go home.' 'They are not shooting at colored people.' he said. A little while later he said. 'Come on son. We will go home." I was very glad.
"After the capture of all the forts the Yankees came on our plantation and told us we were all as free as they were and could go where we pleased. It seemed too good to be true. But as our owners said nothing, we knew it must be true.
"At this time they were not enlisting colored men in the army so I went with Captain Charles B. Nelson, Company G, 15th Wisconsin infantry as his servant, we were in the battles of Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Dalton, Resaca and Dallas. Nelson was wounded at the last named place and I took him home to Beloit and went to work on his farm. Several months later a soldier came home on furlough and said to me. 'Why don't you enlist?' I told him I had tried but that they would not accept me. He told me they were enlisting colored men. 'We can lick those fellows down there,' said he, 'but if you colored men will help us, we can do it much sooner.' If they should happen to lick us, you would not be free, they would come up here and get you and put you back in slavery.'
"I entitled the next day and was sent to Camp Randall at Madison. From there I was sent to St. Louis, Mo., where the 18th U. S. Infantry was being formed in Benton Barracks. We scouted over a large part of Missouri picking up all the colored men found on the plantations and sent them to St. Louis. All those that were fit joined the army, others were put to work for Uncle Sam.
"We were ordered to Bridgeport, Ala. When General Hood made his raid on Nashville we were ordered to Franklin and then joined Gen. Thomas in defending Nashville. After the war was over, I went to school in Beloit. I became a private teacher in Chicago and from there came back to the farm and then to Racine."
Mr. Thomas was janitor of the court house and First National bank for many years; has served as juror in circuit court and was elected coroner of Racine county in 1887 serving for two years.
Colonel William L. Utley
RACINE: William L. Utley, a native of Monson, Massachusetts, was born on the l0th of July, 1814. His father, a graduate of one of the best colleges of his day, had been a successful business man, but with many others failed in the cotton manufacturing business, at the close of the War of 1812. Abandoning the luxuries which had surrounded him, he removed his family to the ‘Western Reserve’ in Ohio, then a dense wilderness, whose stillness was broken only by the crack of the Indian's rifle or the tread of wild beasts. At this time, William was four years old; and surrounded by such scenes of pioneer life he passed his boyhood, receiving his education in a log school-house, and at the hands of his father and mother. His first ambition was to become a hunter; this, however, was succeeded by a taste for music and painting, and with a view to cultivating his talents in this direction, he left his home in Ohio at the age of twenty-one, and went to New York State. Having little money he struggled hard, sometimes having plenty, and at others being reduced to penury, and thus lived a nomadic life until August, 1844, when he found himself in Racine, Wisconsin, a portrait painter and fiddler. Up to this time his political views had been democratic, although he had taken no active part in political matters, and could with difficulty define his opinions. His political career began in 1848, when he abandoned his former sentiments, and became identified with the free-soil or republican movement at the first meeting of that body ever held in the United States. Upon that issue he was elected the first marshal Racine ever had, and growing in zeal and political favor, he was, in 1850, elected to the legislature and reelected in 185 1. In the following year he was appointed adjutant general of the State by Governor Leonard J. Farwell, and from that time till 1860 held various positions of public trust, but was most of the time engaged in keeping public house, in which business he was financially successful. He was elected to the State senate in 1860, and there rendered most efficient service, distinguishing himself in opposing the demands of the South and in assisting to put the State in readiness for war. At the opening of the rebellion in 1861 Governor Alexander Randall appointed him adjutant general of the State, and although there was hardly a soldier in the State when he entered upon his duties, within six months he placed thirty thousand men in the field, and was highly complimented in a private letter from President Lincoln for his prompt and energetic action. Upon the accession of Governor Harvey he left the adjutant general's office and again took his seat in the senate. Soon after his return home at the close of the session in 1862, he received a colonel's commission from Governor Solomon, with orders to raise a regiment in ten days. At the expiration of that time he reported at Madison with men enough to form the regiments, one of which, the 22nd, was assigned to him; and with them, undrilled, he went to the front and assisted in driving Kirby Smith and General Bragg out of Kentucky, and was the first to carry the president's emancipation proclamation through that State, which he did at the point of the bayonet. Leaving Kentucky in February, 1863, he went to Tennessee, and there, at Spring Hill, his regiment, with the entire brigade of General Coburn, were taken prisoners, and confined for several months in Libby Prison. Upon being exchanged, the regiment was reorganized at St. Louis, Missouri, and from there went to Franklin, Tennessee. He was soon afterward placed in command of the post regiment at Murphysboro, where he remained till February, 1864. Soon after, joining General Sherman's army in the famous ‘march to the sea,’ he participated in all the battles till the taking of Atlanta, and distinguished himself by his valor on all occasions. On the 5th of July, 1864, by reason of impaired health, he was obliged to resign his commission and return to his home. After regaining his health, in company with his son, the then only survivor of his family, he purchased the "Racine Journal," which was then a poorly patronized democratic sheet, and changing its politics, made of it a widely circulated and influential paper. At the end of nine years of successful labor as a journalist, he closed his connection with the "Journal" and devoted his attention to his duties as postmaster, an office to which he had been appointed by General Grant in 1869, and reappointed in 1873. He was chiefly instrumental in securing the erection of the fine post office building of his city. Mr. Utley has given special attention to the raising of blooded horses for nearly thirty years, and has raised many which have become celebrated, among which is the horse ‘Billy Utley.’
In his religious views he is a Universalist, and believes that God will overrule all things for good. Naturally kind, genial and social, he is a most agreeable companion. Firm, prompt and decided, he never proves untrue to his promise, stands ready to make any sacrifice for a friend, and never turns his back upon an enemy. He has been twice married: first, on the 11th of July, 1839, to Miss Louisa Wing, who died April 10, 1864; they had three children, of whom one, a son, is now living. Secondly, on the 22d of February, 1866, to Miss Sarah J. Wooster, by whom he has one son. Naturally domestic in his habits, Mr. Utley finds his chief enjoyment in his own family, and is most highly esteemed and respected by them as a devoted husband and fond father, while by all whom he knows he is admired as an upright and fair dealing gentleman. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Henry V. Van Pelt
HENRY V. VAN PELT, Racine, was born in Racine, January 25, 1854, and was educated at Beloit College, from which institution he graduated in July 1875. Deciding to adopt the profession of law he read in the office of Judge E. O. Hand at Racine; was admitted to the bar in March 1876; was appointed circuit court commissioner, and has been in active and successful practice at Racine from the time his admission to the present time. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Sharon Witt.]
H. V. Van Pelt, a well known Salt Lake City attorney and United States commissioner, was born in Racine, Wisconsin, January 25, 1854, a son of William Todd and Margaret (Beekman) Van Pelt. The ancestry of the family is traced back to Gerardus Beekman, who came to America in 1650 and was one of the founders of the Dutch colony that settled near New York City. He was prominent in that locality in the early period of colonization in the Empire state and Beekman street of New - York city was named in his honor. The Van Pelt family also comes from Holland ancestry and both the father and mother of H. V. Van Pelt were born in Griggstown, New Jersey. In the early '40s they removed westward to Racine, Wisconsin, where the father engaged in the grain business, buying wheat from the farmers throughout the territory from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi. He operated large elevators at various points, where he stored his grain until it could be moved to the mills, and he developed a business of extensive proportions, constituting a source of growth and progress also in the communities in which he operated. He died in Racine in 1890 at the advanced age of seventy-eight years, while his wife survived him for a long period and died in 1912 at the age of eighty-seven years. In their family were five sons and a daughter: Garrett B., residing in Boston, Massachusetts; James, living in Fargo, North Dakota; William Todd, who makes his home in Frazee, Minnesota; Charles, located at Minneapolis, Minnesota; H. V., of this review; and a daughter who has passed away.
H. V. Van Pelt was the youngest in the family. At the usual age he entered the public schools of Racine, passing through consecutive grades to the high school and eventually becoming a student in Beloit College at Beloit, Wisconsin, from which he was graduated in 1875 with the A. B. degree. He was admitted to the Wisconsin bar in 1876 and began practice at Racine, where he continued in the profession until 1883. He then removed to North Dakota, where he again conducted a law practice until 1893 and became assistant attorney general of the state but thinking to find still better opportunities farther west, he removed to Salt Lake in 1894 and continued his partnership with Judge Goodwin, the association between them being maintained from 1885 until Judge Goodwin was elected to the district bench in 1915, since which time Mr. Van Pelt has practiced alone. He has attained high professional rank by reason of thorough ability in the preparation and presentation of his cases and his wisdom as a counselor.
On the 7th of June, 1888, Mr. Van Pelt was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Ryan, of East Orange, New Jersey, a daughter of Philip H. Ryan of that place. They have become parents of four children, but one has passed away. Marion, who was born in Lisbon, North Dakota, in 1890, was graduated from the high school at Salt Lake, from Westminster College, from the University of Utah and continued her studies at the University of California. Mrs. Helen Nyman was born in Lisbon, North Dakota, in 1892, was graduated from the Salt Lake high school and from the University of Utah and now resides at Myton, this state. They have one child, Van Nyman. Roger Beekman Van Pelt, born in Salt Lake in 1894, is a graduate of the University of Utah and is now in France, where he has been attending the officers training camp for cavalry service at Saumur, France. The son who passed away was Charles Van Pelt, who died in November, 1917. He was a graduate of the University of Utah and a boy of exceptional ability. At the outbreak of the great European war he entered the office of the chief signal officer. In the affairs of Salt Lake City Mr. Van Pelt has taken a deep and helpful interest. He was vice president of the Board of Education and since 1916 has been United States commissioner for the district of Utah. He is a trustee and treasurer of Westminster College, having thus served since 1901, and he is a member of the Utah and the American Bar Associations, and of Phi Beta Kappa. In these connections are shown the breadth of his interests and the value of his public service. He cooperates heartily in all well devised plans and measures for the general good, holding to high ideals of citizenship as well as adhering to the advanced ethical standards of his profession. [Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
RACINE: In that beautiful, mountainous region of North Wales bordering on St. George's channel, in Merionethshire, was born the subject of this sketch on the 24th of March, 1820. His father, a respectable farmer, was a man of much force of character and sturdy independence - characteristics strongly developed in the son. John received a fair common school education, and worked on his father's farm until he was twenty-four years old. He then immigrated to America, landing in New York City in the spring of 1849, and in the month of July following settled in southern Wisconsin. He worked by the month at such occupation as he could find until 1850, when he entered a grocery store in Racine as clerk, and after four years of industry and thrift purchased the stock of his employers and commenced business on his own account. He formed a partnership with Mr. T. L. Williams, which continued with increasing success for twenty years, and at the close of 1873 Mr. Vaughan purchased the interest of his partner, and continued the business alone till his decease. By his own industry and business tact he raised himself to wealth and influence, and at the time of his death was the owner of several of the largest buildings in the city. He was a member of the common council of Racine for eight years, and was elected a member of the general assembly of the State in 1864, He was a director of the Racine Dredge Company, a director of the Manufacturers National Bank, and also a stockholder in the silver-plating company. He was part owner of the largest lime-kiln in his section of country, and was one of the originators of the fire department of Racine, and the first steam fire engine was named the "John Vaughan" in honor of him. The city, at the time of its purchase, being unable to pay for the engine, he gave his note to the manufacturers. He was a man of great public spirit, and was the prime mover in every enterprise for the benefit of the citizens or the prosperity of the city, and was looked up to by the community as one of the most enterprising and respected citizens of Racine, being popular with all classes.
He was married on the 24th of May 1858, to Martha Thomas, a very amiable and worthy lady, who survives him. Their two children, John and Martha, are still living.
Mr. Vaughan was not a member of any church, but was a regular attendant on the Methodist service. He was a distinguished Mason, and also an Odd Fellow, and was regarded as the patron and patriarch of all the Welsh people in town, a large colony of whom settled in Racine mainly through his influence. He was a republican in politics, and organized some seventy of his countrymen into a military company and sent them to the war, taking care of many of their families during their absence. As a politician he wielded considerable local influence. He was a most generous and kind-hearted man, willing to help every one in need to the extent of his ability. He was uniformly on the bail-bond of every city or county treasurer, and indorsed nearly all that asked him, not having the heart to refuse. In many cases he suffered heavily by his suretyship. His career was one of very remarkable success. Starting in life without capital, or any of the advantages of education or influence, which often fall to the lot of others, by his own force of character and honest purpose he not only achieved a fortune, but became an eminently useful citizen, possessing till the day of his death the respect and esteem of a wide circle of acquaintances.
He died on Sunday, January 28, 1877.
At a special meeting of the city council held on the following day, the mayor, Hon. John J. Mecham, M.D., submitted the following official communication:
GENTLEMEN OF THE COMMON COUNCIL:
John Vaughan died yesterday afternoon at his late residence on the corner of Chippewa and Seventh streets. He was long one of our most prominent businessmen, and eight years a member of the city council, acting with energy and ability upon two of its most important committees, fire and harbor. He was most emphatically a Racine man, having been conspicuously identified with all of our improvements for the last twenty-five years. Not a church has been erected in the city during that time that has not received aid from his treasury. The college and St. Luke's Hospital owe him thanks for his liberality toward them. Once he has represented our city in the State legislature. During the rebellion he was active, liberal and patriotic. To the poor he was always kind and generous, and many a bountiful gift has his right hand made that his left knew not of. I would the council attend his funeral.
Resolutions of respect to his memory and condolence to his family were passed by the Masonic Lodge, No. 18, of which he was a member.
From an obituary notice of him published in the "Racine Journal" on the 31st of January, 1877, we make the following extracts: By the death of Mr. Vaughan, Racine loses one of her oldest and most enterprising citizens. No man ever lived in our city who was more identified with its interests or more earnest and faithful in advancing them. By attention to business and hard work he had succeeded in amassing a reasonable amount of this worlds goods; of a most useful nature and having the interests of the city at heart, he invested his earnings in permanent improvements, and many fine buildings now stand as monuments to his memory.
The article enters at some length into the details of his public career and private virtues, as set forth above, and concludes by stating: The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon from the Presbyterian Church, and was one of the largest ever seen in the city. His honor the mayor and the members of the council, the Masonic lodge of which he was a member, and the fire department, were in attendance. The church was densely packed, extra seats having been put in the aisles. The services commenced by singing the hymn — How still and peaceful is the grave, Where life's vain tumults past. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
Marshall Bailey Webber
Mr. Webber is senior partner of the law firm of Webber & Lees, at Winona, Minnesota. He was born in Raymond, Racine County, Wisconsin, August, 2, 1850. Samuel Webber, the father of the subject of this sketch, is a farmer. The farm on which he resides is about ten miles from the city of Milwaukee, in Racine County. It was patented by the government to his father in 1837, but since that date no conveyance of the land has ever been made, and it is at present a most valuable piece of property. Samuel Webber came from Massachusetts, and is of Puritan stock. His wife's maiden name was Sabra A. Bailey, who was born in New Hampshire. Both are still living. Marshall's early education was received in the district school. Subsequently he attended the high school at Racine, Wisconsin, and the Rochester Academy in Racine County, where he fitted himself for college. Young Webber, however, was compelled to earn the funds that would enable him to enter college. He was ambitious and plucky, and, confident of his ability to earn enough money to support him he entered Hillsdale College, at Hillsdale, Michigan. During the winter months he taught school, keeping up with the studies of his class in the meantime. During his vacations in the summer he worked on the farm and at railroading, in this way getting together enough money to carry him through college the next year. He graduated from Hillsdale in the class of 1875. In his junior year he carried away the Melendy prize for oratory, and while at college was a member of the Alpha Kappa Phi Society. In September, 1875, he came to Minnesota and located at Winona. He had decided to make the profession of law his vocation in life, and took up his law studies in the office of Hon. W. H. Yale. Two years later he was admitted to the bar and was taken into partnership by Governor Yale, under the firm name of Yale & Webber. This partnership continued with mutual profit for two years, when it was dissolved and Mr. Webber continued his practice alone. In September, 1895, his increasing business necessitating a partner, he associated with him Edward Lees. This firm is known as Webber & Lees. In his practice Mr. Webber has been very successful, and has succeeded in building up an extensive and lucrative practice. He represents the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul and the Chicago, Burlington & Northern railroads at Winona as their attorney. In politics he is Republican. Though he has been an active member of his party, he has never sought office, the only office he has ever held being that of prosecuting attorney for two years. At present he is a member of the Republican State Central Committee, and takes a prominent part in the councils of his party. He is a knight of Pythias and is a member of a number of social clubs. On January 2, 1879, he was married to Agnes M. Robertson, of Hillsdale, Michigan. Mrs. Webber is a lady of refinement and vice president of the State Federation of Woman's Clubs. [Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse]
RACINE: Frederick Wild was born in Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York State, on the 22nd of December 1831. His parents were Nathan and Sarah Wild, who, as he grew up, placed him at College Hill, Poughkeepsie, where he went through a general course of ordinary English studies in a perfectly satisfactory manner, as may be surmised from the fact of his graduating at the early age of eighteen. At this time his father, who was a cotton manufacturer at Kinderhook, placed Frederick Wild there for the purpose of learning the business in a thoroughly practical style. He accordingly spent about three years in the mill working under instructions, when he was seized with an attack of the Western Fever, an epidemic very prevalent at the time, and shifted his quarters in 1852 to Kenosha, Wisconsin, where he worked in a general hardware store as clerk for about eighteen months, giving every satisfaction by the faithful performance of his duties in that capacity. He then came to Freeport, Illinois, where he got an engagement in the same business and remained there for the period of two years. In 1856 he began his career as a railway man by being appointed to the position of general western freight solicitor by the agent of the New York and Erie Railway Company, which post he filled for two years, and since that he has been engaged on several other railways in different positions, namely: On the Detroit and Milwaukee Railway, the Milwaukee and Lacrosse (now a branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul), the Ohio and Mississippi, and also on the Western Union, where he first engaged in the year 1869 as general freight and ticket agent, which position he now occupies.
He attends the Episcopal Church.
In politics he is a republican, and has been so ever since the organization of that party.
He was married on the 1st of January 1854, to Miss Eliza M. Ames, and has five children - three male and two female - who are all living at the present time.
Mr. Wild's geniality of temper, great social virtues and liberality have gathered for him a host of friends, not only in domestic and private life, but indeed wherever it has been his lot to meet persons in business. He has had great experience in railway matters, and it is well known that wherever he has occupied a position his general good business qualifications as well as his civility and kindness to those working under him have made him par excellence the right man in the right place. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
John B. Winslow
JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT
JOHN B. WINSLOW, LL. D., has been on the bench in Wisconsin for 36 years, 28 of which he has been a member of the Supreme court. Born at Nunda, N. Y., Oct. 4, 1851, he was graduated from Racine College in 1871, studied law in the offices of two attorneys in Racine and finished the course in the law department, University of Wisconsin, graduating with the class of 1875. In 1904 the University conferred the degree of LL. D. upon him and Lawrence College gave him the degree in 1912. He began practicing law in Racine in 1875, and served for several years as city attorney. In 1883 he was elected judge of the First Judicial circuit and served from Jan. 1, 1884 to May 4, 1891, when he was appointed Justice to succeed Justice David Taylor, deceased. In April, 1892, he was elected to fill the residue of Judge Taylor's term and was re-elected in 1895, 1905 and 1915. He became Chief Justice by reason of seniority of service upon the death of Chief Justice John B. Cassoday, Dec. 30, 1907. Justice Winslow is the author of a history of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin from 1848 to 1880, entitled "The Story of a Great Court" and is a writer of note. He was president of the American Institute of Criminology 1911-1912. He has personally written the opinion of the Court in many of the most important cases in the last quarter of a century. [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 453]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails