Shawano County, Wisconsin
Biographies

Alvin M. Andrews.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

The present district attorney of Shawano county, Mr. Andrews is one of the able young members of the Shawano bar, and represents a name which has been prominently identified with practically the entire historical development of Shawano. Sixty years have passed since his father as a pioneer first ventured into the wilderness of Shawano county, and as the father was a man of influence and ability in the early days, so the son has left his impress on the community in modern times as a lawyer and official. Mr. Andrews was elected to his present office as district attorney in the fall of 1909, taking office in January, 1910. Then in 1912 he was reelected and began his second term in January, 1913. Mr. Andrews has practiced law at Shawano since he was admitted to the bar in 1908. Born on a farm six miles north of Shawano, in Shawano county, April 22, 1880, he is a son of Hon. Orlin and Helen (Harris) Andrews, both now deceased. The father died in Shawano, March 19, 1911, and the mother died there July 6, 1912. Both were born in New York State, and the father, Orlin Andrews is one of the very first permanent settlers in Shawano county, the date of his coming being in the year 1854. Two years later he returned to New York State, where he was married and then brought his bride to this little settlement in the midst of the big woods. Orlin Andrews was one of Shawano county's best known citizens. At various times he held important offices at Menominee Indian Reservation in the northern part of the county. He also served as postmaster at Shawano, and as court commissioner and for many years was a justice of the peace. From the farm on which he first settled he moved into Shawano about 1886. Mr. A. M. Andrews grew up and attended the public schools in Shawano, subsequently taking a literary and business course at the Valparaiso University in Indiana. He has worked and earned his own promotion in life and for several years was a stenographer in law offices in Shawano. In 1905, he went to Washington, D. C, to accept an appointment under the third assistant postmaster general and during the three years of his residence at Washington he attended the law department of the Georgetown University at Georgetown. In 1908 he returned to Wisconsin, passed the state bar examination and immediately thereafter opened his office for practice in Shawano.

In 1903, Mr. Andrews married Miss Berd Griswold, of Valparaiso. Indiana. Their two children are Lloyd and Ruth. Mr. Andrews is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America. Outside of his official duties as district attorney he looks after a growing general practice in the local courts.



Hon. Francis A. Deleglise.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

On March 25, 1894, there passed away at Antigo, Wisconsin, the man widely and familiarly known to the public as the "Father of Antigo." He was Hon. Francis Augustine Deleglise, and he was born on February 10, 1835, in Commune of Baynes, Canton of Valais, Switzerland, the son of Maurice Athanase and Catherine (Lang) Del'Eglise. In the preparation of this all too brief memoriam which is designed for publication in this history of Wisconsin, nothing could be more in the nature of a eulogy than a simply straightforward recounting of the more salient features of his long and singularly sweet life, and it is not the purpose or intent of this article to do aught but tell of him as he was.

The father of Mr. Deleglise was one of four brothers of an old, and highly respected Catholic family of Valais, who were vineyardists. Of the four brothers, who all lived to reach ripe old ages two were priests, one of the Order of Jesuits, was a teacher of Mathematics at the University of Freiburg; the other of the Order of St. Bernard was the Superior of the Monks at the Great St. Bernard's Hospital. Maurice, the father of our subject, was a teacher and surveyor while the other brother conducted his vineyard, following the occupation of his ancestors. In 1848, much against the wishes of their family, these latter two brothers, with their little families, emigrated to America—the one brother locating in Missouri near Leavenworth, Kansas, where he followed the occupation of his native Canton, and conducted a vineyard up to the time of his death; while Maurice came to Wisconsin, where he endeavored to provide for his family by agriculture. The pioneer's life was a hard struggle for the Swiss teacher and harder on the wife who survived their arrival to the new country but five years when she succumbed in childbirth to the hardships and privations of pioneer life at their home in the town of Theresa, now in Dodge county, Wisconsin, where she was buried.

The family made their home in Gibson, Manitowoc county, for a short time and then removed to near what is now Belle Plain in Shawano county, Wisconsin. Here the father farmed up to the time of his death in 1878, and was brought for burial to the home of his son, Francis A., in the then little village of Antigo, just being platted by this son, its founder.

Francis Augustine was the eldest of the three children brought to America—the eldest child, a daughter, Catherine, having yielded to the persuasions of relatives and remained with them in the native land. Francis had up to this time been a regular attendant at the very excellent schools of his old home, but the new country taxed the family's savings to the utmost and its welfare in a great measure depended upon the earning capacity of this big, bright, healthy boy of barely fourteen years, who proved himself resourceful and willing to turn to any work that offered to help the family—from clearing, farming, sailing on the Lakes in summer and working in the logging woods in winter, to helping his father in surveying for the neighbors, Francis did everything and anything in a cheerful, willing and capable manner, his earnings always going into the family purse.

At the age of twenty-one Francis Deleglise married, and soon thereafter he and his young wife went to Appleton where they continued to reside until 1877, with the exception of two years' residence, '71- '73, in Shawano county where Mr. Deleglise started and platted the village of Leopolis. During those years he was more or less occupied in civil and municipal engineering, locating settlers on homestead lands, etc., carrying on the work he had learned under his father.

It should be stated here, however, that he enlisted on June 28, 1861, in Appleton, Wisconsin, in Company E of the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Marsten of Appleton. He was promoted Boon to the rank of corporal, and in July, 1862, the regiment became attached to the Army of the Potomac, participating thereafter in the many struggles of the famed Iron Brigade. At Antietam, on September 17, 1862. he was severely wounded and as a result was in hospital for several months thereafter. He was at the battle of Gettysburg and was severely wounded and taken prisoner during the first day's fight. He did not long remain in the hands of the enemy, however, as when they retreated, they were forced to leave their wounded behind them, and he was rescued by the Federal forces. On July 16. 1864, Mr. Deleglise was honorably discharged, with the record of a valiant soldier to his credit. When he enlisted he was a stout, husky young man, weighing one hundred and eighty pounds, and when he returned from the war he had become so emaciated from illness, wounds and army fare that he tipped the scales at barely ninety pounds. He suffered for long after the war as the result of his experience, and during his convalescence he studied engineering and mathematics and as soon as he was able in point of bodily strength, he resumed his work of surveying, and in time he became an expert in that branch of civil engineering.

In 1867 he commenced the looking up and locating of lands in North Central Wisconsin, and it was then that he, in reality, selected the site of the future city of Antigo, and in 1877, to further exemplify the faith, he felt in the future of the place he brought his family here and located, and platted the village of Antigo. Mr. Deleglise named it so from '' Nequi Antigo Suebeh, '' the Chippewa Indian name of Spring River, signifying Balsam Evergreen River from the balsam and evergreen that border the waters of this stream which flows through the plat. He was the first town chairman and when the county was organized he was elected chairman of the first county board, and served among the first county treasures and was most active in its early organization and management. Mr. Deleglise dealt largely in real estate, and he became the possessor of immense tracts of land in and about the county. He was one of the most public spirited men the city ever knew, always working for the development and improvement of the community, and having an eye single to its best development along material and moral lines. He was a man liberal in all things especially in matters of church and of education, donating sites for these purposes and also for public buildings. In politics he was a Democrat first, but after the war he became a Republican and he continued a staunch adherent of that political faith up to the time of his death. In 1892 he was elected to represent this district in the state legislature, where he made a brilliant record as a legislator, manifesting his intelligent interest in the best welfare of his constituents and accomplishing worthy work in that office. He was a staunch Roman Catholic all his life, and died in the fervent, loyal profession of that faith, on Easter Sunday. March 25. 1894.

On November 29, 1856, Mr. Deleglise was married at Two Rivers, Wisconsin, to Mary Bor, born on January 1, 1835, in Taus, Bohemia. She was the daughter of Simon and Dora (Kerzman) Bor, the family coming to America from Bohemia in 1855 and settling in the town of Gibson, in Manitowoc county, where the Deleglise family resided. The father, who was a merchant in his native land, engaged in farming here, and thus passed his remaining days. He died in Antigo in 1881. He had served eight years as a soldier in his home country.

Mrs. Deleglise was a devoted mother and brave woman who faced courageously the hardships and trials, first of the wife of a soldier during the Civil war, with three small children to care for, and then as the mother of eight ehildi-en she journeyed with them to these wilds to undertake the responsibilities of the pioneer woman. She was of a deeply religious and sympathetic nature, a natural born nurse and the pioneer women all looked to her for help and encouragement in sickness and trials and relied upon her to nurse them and she was always ready to go when called upon. Mr. Deleglise entered the lands in the vicinity of Antigo in her name and the site of the city also was in her name she signing the Plat of the village of Antigo as its owner. Mrs. Deleglise survived her husband fourteen years, dying December 20, 1907.

To Mr. and Mrs. Deleglise were born the following children: Mary T., who married John Deresch, of Antigo, Wisconsin ; Sophia E., the widow of Samuel E. Leslie of Antigo; Francis Joseph, who is deceased; John E., also deceased; Anna E., the wife of Thomas Morrissey of Antigo; Adelbert A.; Alexius L. ; Henry and Edmond, the last two deceased.

Mrs. Mary Teresa Deresch, eldest child of her parents, and her husband, were the first white settlers to enter a government homestead in this then wilderness, and she was for a long time the only white woman within a radius of twenty miles. They have two surviving children, Christian and Charles. Their child born to them in 1877 was the first white child born here but it survived but a few days.

Mrs. Sophia Leslie, now widowed, has two surviving children. Loyola I. and Cyril Deleglise; Mrs. Leslie, it should be noted, was one of the first school teachers in Langlade county, and her father's assistant when platting the village.

Anna E., and her husband, Thomas Morrissey, have four children Margaret Virginia, John Francis, Gerald Deleglise and May. Mrs. Morrissey as a girl of ten years accompanied her father to Langlade county when he brought with him the first band of thirty prospective colonists and she spent the first winter with her sister, Mrs. John Deresch, her mother and the remainder of the family coming in the following spring. She was the first white child to come to what later became Langlade county, and she has an acquaintance with this part of the county that dates back to the most primitive days, in the matter of settlement.

Adelbert Deleglise is unmarried and resides in Antigo.

Alexius L. Deleglise, the youngest son of the five living children of his parents, is city engineer of Antigo, and is one of the prominent young men of the city. He is a widower and has three children, Margaret, Irene and Germaine. The family, from first to last, has enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the best people of the county, and their place as pioneers of the city and country is not less pronounced than is their standing in the matter of citizenship of the most helpful and uplifting order.

George C. Dickinson
Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee (1882) transcribed by Mary Saggio

GEORGE C DICKINSON, Shawano, was born in Rock county, Wisconsin, September 5, 1848.  After completing his education at Milton College, he studied law with Warner & Ryan at Appleton, and was admitted to the bar at the same place in June 1874.  He commenced practice in Appleton in 1879, where he continued alone until February, 1881, when he moved to Shawano, and formed a partnership with E. P. Perry, where he is now in practice.



P. F. Dolan.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

In the quarter century covering the active career of Mr. P. F. Dolan he has risen to an important place of influence and business prestige in Shawano county, which has been his home for the past seventeen years. 'Mr. Dolan was for many years one of the capable educators of Wisconsin, and had charge of schools in different localities. He is now the head of the firm of P. F. Dolan Land Company, real estate, insurance and loans, and is a director in the German-American National Bank of Shawano. He still keeps in active touch with educational affairs and is president of the Shawano School Board, having held that office five years. He moved to the city of Shawano from Wittenberg, in this county, in 1905, and had served on the Wittenberg school board. He was also in the real estate and loan business at Wittenberg for four years, from 1901 to 1905.

Mr. Dolan came to Shawano county from Highland, Iowa county, Wisconsin, where he was born May 12, 1868. His father, P. H. Dolan, came to Wisconsin as a small boy from Pennsylvania, settling in Iowa county, where he was a substantial and well known farmer. His wife, Mary Hughes, was born in Canada. Both parents died in Iowa county.

The early years of Mr. Dolan were spent on an Iowa county farm, and largely through his own efforts and careful economy, he received what amounted to a liberal education. From the local rural schools he entered the high school at Highland, graduating in the class of 1888. He then took a course in the normal school at Platteville, and graduated there in 1895. He also attended the University of Wisconsin during the winters of 1896-97, but did not have enough money to complete his course. In the meantime he had qualified as a teacher, and altogether spent thirteen years in that vocation. His services included one term at Almond in Portage county, four years at Wittenberg, in Shawano county, four years at Drybone, one term at Hollandale. He entered the real estate business in Wittenberg in 1901, and continued there until early in 1905. His removal to Shawano was the consequence of his election to the office of registrar of deeds of Shawano county, a post which he held for one term.

In 1892 Mr. Dolan married Miss Sadie Wallace, of Hartford, Wisconsin. Their two sons are Francis and Wallace. Mr. Dolan is a popular member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is one of the best known citizens of Shawano county.


Albert H. Gustman
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

County treasurer of Shawano county, Mr. Gustman is now serving in his second term in that office. He was elected on the Republican ticket in 1910, and was reelected in the fall of 1912. For two years prior to his service as county treasurer, he was supervisor of the First ward in Shawano. Mr. Gustman belongs to a family which has been identified with Shawano county since 1880, and has had an active business career since he reached manhood in this county. Born in Germany, February 28, 1868, Albert H. Gustman was the son of August and Albertina (Kroening) Gustman. In 1880 the family made their journey across the ocean and settled in Shawano county on a farm in the town of Westcott. There the father worked industriously and lived a substantial man in the community until his death in 1898. The mother passed away several years before.

A boy of twelve years when the family located in Shawano county, Mr. Gustman had already received some educational advantages in his native country, and continued here in the common schools, assisting in the labors of the home farm. In 1898 he sold the farm and moved to the city of Shawano. There up to the time of his election as county treasurer, he was identified with different enterprises. He first bought a dray line running it for several years. For four years he drove the United States government stage to Keshena, in the Menominee Indian Reservation. His next undertaking was a restaurant and bakery, and he built that up to a profitable enterprise and then sold out at the end of two years. For the following year he conducted a furniture and undertaking establishment, and on his election to his present office he sold out to his son-in-law, who had previously been his partner, Mr. M. C. Karth.

Mr. Gustman was married at the age of twenty years in 1888 to Miss Minnie Gottschalk, who was born in Germany and came to Shawano county when a girl. Their two children are : Louisa, wife of M. C. Karth, and the mother of four children, whose names are Paul, Fred, Marie and Carl; William, who is married and lives in the state of California. Mr. Gustman takes a prominent part in the St. Jacobi Lutheran church at Shawano, and is an elder.


Frank A. Jaeckel.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

To his present office of county judge of Shawano comity, in which he has served the people for eight years, Mr. Jaeckel brought the spirit of disinterested service, long experience as an educator, and editor and a broad knowledge of men and affairs. The administration of the county's fiscal affairs has never been in better hands than in those of Judge Jaeckel.

Frank A. Jaeckel has lived in Shawano county since his birth, though his duties have at different times taken him away from this county for several years at a time. He was born on a farm in the town of Belle Plaine, Shawano county, June 3. 1866. a son of Fred and Henrietta (Eckert) Jaeckel. His parents became residents of Shawano county in the early fifties, and were among the earliest pioneers of this section. Their birth place was in Germany, and on coming to America, they first located at Watertown, Wisconsin, but a few years later came to the wilderness of Shawano county, and cleared out a farm from the woods in the town of Belle Plaine. Both parents continued to make their home in Shawano county until about 1889, when they sold their farm and spent their last years at the home of their daughter in Waupaca county.

Judge Jaeckel was reared on a farm, and had the wholesome environment of the country during his youth. From the country schools he entered the academy at Wittenberg, and also studied in the Teachers' Seminary at Addison, Illinois. Graduating in 1888 he was for ten years a teacher in the Lutheran parochial schools of St. Louis, Missouri. Returning to Wittenberg in Shawano county, he took charge of the Orphans' Home for one year, at the end of which time the school was abolished. He then became superintendent of the Lutheran Children's Home at Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, and continued one year. In 1899 Judge Jaeckel moved to Shawano to take charge of the Volksbote, now the Volksbote-Wochenblatt, the most influential German newspaper in this section of Wisconsin. He was the owner and editor of the journal until his election as county judge in the spring of 1905. Since he took charge of the office the regular term of county judge has been extended to six years, and he was reelected for that length of time, and in the spring of 1913 was again elected, for the regular term of six years beginning January, 1914.

Judge Jaeckel was married July 10, 1892, to Miss Clara Taenzer of St. Louis, Missouri. Their four children are Walter, Hilda, Irma, and Norma. Judge Jaeckel is active in the Lutheran church and a trustee of the church at Shawano.

Herman Naber
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 504; transcribed by Susan Geist

HERMAN NABER (Ind. Dem.), of Shawano, was born in the village of Sannum, Grand Duchy of Aldenburg, Germany, November 12, 1826; he received a common school and special agricultural education; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled first in Dodge county, removing in 1858 to Shawano; has been a member of the county board in both Dodge and Shawano counties many times; was mayor of Shawano in 1875 and ’76; was candidate for presidential elector on democratic ticket in 1876; was member of assembly in 1864, ’75 and 1880; was elected to the assembly for 1883 as an independent democrat, receiving 708 votes against 597 for O. A. Risum, republican, 567 for C. H. Grundy, democrat, and 37 for W. W. Hollister, prohibitionist.



Edward Sommers.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

A prominent old-established real estate man of Shawano, Edward Sommers has been identified with this city in a successful and public spirited manner for a long period of years, and is numbered among the citizens who have been instrumental in helping promote the upbuilding and progress of the community. He now gives all his time to his extensive business in abstracts, real estate, loans and insurance. He has also been prominent in the public service, having served from Shawano from 1906 to 1908 as Mayor and from 1878 to 1888 held the important office of registrar of deeds in the county. Mr. Sommers has been in the county since 1871, and he has been in the abstract business since 1879.

Mr. Sommers was born in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, February 25, 1853, a son of Charles Sommers. Both parents are now deceased. Charles Sommers was an early settler in Sheboygan county locating there in the late forties, about the time Wisconsin became a state. He followed a long career as a farmer.

On the home farm in Sheboygan county, Edward Sommers spent the years of his youth, and had a country school education. He engaged in the sawmill business as his first regular work, and was connected with his brother William in operating a mill ten miles east of Shawano in this county in the town of Hartland, conducting that enterprise from 1871 to 1874. In the latter year he moved to Shawano, and was proprietor of a hotel for some three or four years. His election to the office of registrar of deeds gave him a broad knowledge and experience in real estate titles, and he has been the best authority on abstracts and real estate ever since.

Mr. Sommers was married in 1874 to Miss Annie Lueke, of Shawano county. Five children born to their marriage were Anna; Ida, wife of J. C. Madler, who has one son Edward James Madler; Lima; Oscar and Arthur, twins.


D. E. Wescott.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"


Prominent as a banker, business man and public official of Shawano county, Mr. Wescott represents one of the first of the pioneer name in the history of this locality. His father w^as one of those brave and self-reliant home-makers, who pushed through the wilderness and advanced the frontier of civilization during the early days. His father was a very prominent man in public affairs for many years, and the son has been a worthy successor, having a long record of service in important official capacities, and being closely identified with the business life of his home community.

Though born in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, December 11, 1850, D. E. Wescott may properly claim Shawano county as his life-long home, since the family had been living in this county for a number of years before his birth, and only the temporary absence of his mother in Oshkosh prevented him from being a native son of the county. His parents were Charles D. and Jane (Diesbach) Wescott. Charles D. Wescott came to Wisconsin territory about 1811. He was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, while his wife was a native of Livingston county in the same state. During his early residence in Wisconsin, Charles D. Wescott belonged to the lower ranks of the industrial army, and worked as, a laborer in different parts of the state. In 1843 he first came to Shawano county, and assisted in the construction of a dam across the outlet of Shawano Lake. In 1848 he was married, and brought his bride to Shawano county. She was the first permanent white woman settler in Shawano county. A short time before the birth of her son she left the frontier settlement and went to Oshkosh in order to get medical attendance, and it was for these pioneer reasons that D. E. Wescott was born and spent the first nine or ten months of his life at Oshkosh. The father had some land in Winnebago county, and traded it for a tract in Shawano county, and it was on this land, located about a half mile north of the city limits of Shawano that D. E. Wescott grew to manhood.

Charles D. Wescott was for many years chairman of the board of supervisors of Shawano county. By occupation he was a farmer and logger throughout his active career, and was considered one of the most expert loggers and river drivers in this section. His death occurred in Shawano county on his old farm at the age of eighty-five years and was preceded by his wife's some five or six years. She was seventy-seven years of age at the time of her death.

Mr. D. E. Wescott was reared on the home farm, had a country school education, and later taught school about three terms. He early took a prominent part in public affairs, and on leaving the school room was elected and served four years as registrar of deeds. Four years after that he held the office of county clerk, and for a similar period was county treasurer. For one term he was elected and served in the state senate from 1893 to 1897. Mr. Wescott has also been mayor of Shawano for two terms. He is now administering the office of city clerk, a place which he has held since 1900. In connection with his official duties he conducts a fire insurance agency. He was for a number of years a, director in the old Shawano County Bank, and when that bank was reorganized in 1900 as the First National Bank of Shawano, he was elected vice president, a position which he still holds. Mr. Wescott has for more than forty years been an active member of the Masonic Order, and for a long time served as master of his local lodge.

In 1874 D. E. Wescott and Harriet E. Coon were united in marriage. She was born at Friendship, New York, and had come to Wisconsin to visit her relatives, the McCords. It was during this visit that she met Mr. Wescott, and the latter some time later followed her to Friendship, New York, where they were married in the same house in which she had been born. A brother of Mrs. Wescott, Charles E. Coons, was at one time assistant secretary of the treasury, afterwards moved out to the state of Washington, where he was lieutenant governor. Mr. and Mrs. Wescott have a family of three living children. Warde A. is a prominent attorney at Crandon, Wisconsin; Bernard, died at Blaine, Washington, in 1900. He was born in 1877, entered the revenue department of the government service, and was connected with that work at the time of his death. The next child, a daughter, died at the age of four months. Harriet died also in infancy, Percy E., who saw three years of military service while in the west, is now a resident of Hammond, Oregon. He was married in Oregon, brought his wife home to Shawano, where he spent a year, and then returned to Oregon to live. Ralph Rogers, is a graduate of the Shawano high school in the class of 1913 and is now a student at Lawrence College of Appleton, Wis.


Professor L. D. Roberts.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

Since 1888 Professor Roberts has been continuously county superintendent of schools in Shawano county, and is one of the oldest, and probably the oldest in point of actual service since with the ending of the present term he will have twenty-six years six months to his credit in this capacity. He has made education his life's work, and for nearly a half century has been closely identified with school management. By virtue of his own ability, and by his position, he is the leading man of his profession in Shawano, and also one of the prominent educators of Wisconsin. Having the spirit of service characterizing the modern teacher, and working constantly for progressive measures, he has won a worthy place in his life work and profession, and has many admiring friends among his old pupils, all of whom regard his character and service as useful parts of their own lives. Previous to his election as county superintendent in 1888, Professor Roberts had been a teacher in high schools, spending two years in Stoughton, and eight- in Shawano. He was the first principal of the Shawano high school, which was the pioneer school of this rank to be established in Shawano county.

Mr. Roberts was born on a farm at Macomb, Illinois, May 15, 1844, a son of Ira Norman and Margarita (Dailey) Roberts. Reared on his father's farm, he attended district school, and later completed his preparation for teaching by regular and post-graduate courses in study at the old institution known as Albion Academy and Norman Institute, from which he received the degree of Ph. B., upon graduation. Early in his career he went to southeastern Kansas, where he took up land, but as the climate did not agree with him he returned to Wisconsin and soon afterward became principal of the Stoughton schools.

Professor Roberts, outside of his promotions and distinctions as an educator, has for many years been noted for his ability in general mathematics. Out of his long experience he has invented a very ingenious calculating machine on which he now has two patents. This machine computes percentage with readiness and absolute accuracy for any number from one dollar to one hundred million, whether the rate be one or ten places. The device in its general form is a multiplying machine, but is especially designed for those who have charge of making out tax-rolls. Through its use it is possible to calculate in almost an instant the amount of taxes to be assessed on any piece of property running out to ten decimals.

Professor Roberts is a member of several educational associations among which are the following : The Wisconsin County Superintendents 'Association, of which he has been twice elected president; the State Teachers ' Association on the programs of which he has appeared from time to time, and he- has also been an active member for many years of the National Educational Association.

His educational activities have not prevented his affiliation with local interests that tend for the uplift and general betterment of society. As member of the Board of Directors of Shawano Public Library and periodic president of the same, as a church trustee, as a member of the Masonic fraternity, he has received the recognition that public sentiment invariably accords intelligent and progressively inclined citizenship in civic affairs.


Charles M. Upham.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

Since the pioneer days of Wisconsin the Upham family has furnished some of the most notable figures in public and commercial affairs of the state. To those familiar with political history perhaps the name which would first come to mind would be that of former Governor William H. Upham, soldier, manufacturer and banker at Marshfield, since 1878, and Governor of Wisconsin from 1895 to 1897. Of a second generation of the same family is Frederick William Upham, one of the foremost business men of Chicago, and a national political leader. Concerning these men and other representatives of the family appropriate mention is made on other pages of this work. For the present consideration is introduced the remarkable career of Charles M. Upham, who for fifty-five years has been engaged in business at Shawano, in Shawano county.

Only now and then is it given to men of affairs to celebrate the semi-centennial of a business career which has been continuously centered about one line of general activity, and in one place. Vet. in 1908, Charles M. Upham, amid the congratulations of associates and the hundreds of his friends and admirers, entered upon the second half century of his career as a merchant, capitalist, banker, and leading man of affairs at Shawano. In 1858 Charles M. Upham established a small country store at Shawano, walking through the woods from New London and his goods went on a barge hauled by Indians. It was a modest establishment in an old frame building, and from that year to the present he has been continuously in the mercantile business at Shawano, now fifty-five years. His enterprise has grown with the increase of population and with the development of his own remark able ability, and for a number of years Mr. Upham has been president of the Upham-Russell Company, controlling half a dozen large stores and business concerns in Shawano. The company has extensive real estate interests in the city and adjacent counties, including several thousand acres of hardwood lumber and cut-over land in northern Wisconsin. Mr. Upham is president of the Upham Hardware Company of Shawano, of the Hub Clothing Company, and for twenty years was president of the First National Bank of Shawano, from its organization until he retired. Concerning the origin of the business in Shawano, and the progress of Mr. Upham 's business undertaking, a few sentences taken from a booklet issued at the time of the Semicentennial in 1908 afford the proper setting and historical retrospect.

"It is a long look backward," to use the words of the article just mentioned, "from the Shawano county which a stranger sees for the first time today, with its fertile farms, modern farm houses and barns, its school houses, churches and creameries dotting the landscape in every direction to the wilderness of primeval forests absolutely unbroken except for the little settlement at Shawano, trodden only by the foot of wild animals and the moccasined feet of the red men of the forest, which was its appearance fifty years ago. And harder still is it to imagine in the beautiful city of Shawano with its electric lights, paved streets, beautiful homes and modern places of business, the little village of scarce a hundred souls, nestling on the banks of Wolf River, in 1858.

"Into this wilderness in the summer of that year came a boy of twenty-one to start the pioneer store of Shawano county. It was an up-hill fight, for Shawano county boasted no railroads or wagon roads in those days, and he traveled the thirty-two miles from New London on foot, following the Indian trails through the forest.

"His little stock of merchandise—a few groceries, a few provisions, and a few, very few, dry goods, six hundred dollars in all—came by water from New London on a barge poled by Indians. The receiving of merchandise in those days was not the simple matter which it is today. The nearest railroad was at Fond du Lac, one hundred miles away, and mail was carried on horseback from Menasha only once a week. Goods ordered from the distant city took weeks to arrive. But perseverance and pluck Avon, and from the modest beginning of a six hundred dollar stock made by Charles M. Upham in the little store sixteen by eighteen feet in 1858, has arisen the mercantile house of Upham & Russell Company, with its eighty thousand dollars worth of stock and annual sales close to a quarter of a million dollars. As the county and city have grown during the fifty years, so has the growth of the business founded by Charles M. Upham in 1858 kept pace with it.

Some other facts concerning the history and growth of the business should be added. Associated with the founder of the business at various times have been his brothers Nathan and Calvin Upham, and in 1870 the co-partnership of Upham & Russell was formed, at which time II. C. Russell and G. W. Gibbs entered the business. In 1881 the partnership was merged into a corporation, the Upham & Russell Company, with a capital stock of two hundred thousand dollars, in 1858 an old story and a half frame building with a covered porch in front furnished floor space for the enterprise with two hundred and eighty eight square feet. By 1908 the total floor space occupied by the general store, the meat market and the hay barn, the elevator and coal sheds, clothing store and hardware department amounted to over fifty thousand square feet. From the general store as founded and conducted for a number of years, several of the departments developed until it became necessary to establish them on an independent and individual basis. Thus the clothing department outgrew its space in the general store, and in 1889 a separate store was provided. The business continued to grow, and in 1904 the business was individually incorporated with a capital stock of ten thousand dollars. The same is true of the hardware department, which was first established in 1872 as a tin shop and a few stoves as the principal stock carried. Two years later its business had grown so that a separate building was provided and from a stock valued at a few hundred dollars, the business in 1908 carried all kinds of hardware and implements to the value of seventeen thousand dollars.

The founder and still the business head of this undertaking was born in the state of Massachusetts, September 21, 1887, a son of Alvin and Sarah (Derby) Upham, both of whom were natives of Massachusetts. The younger son of the family was William H. Upham, the former governor of Wisconsin. Mr. C. M. Upham had a common school education in his native state, and in 1852 the family moved to Niles. Michigan. Here the father died, and the mother who had relatives at Racine, Wisconsin, took her family to that city. Her relatives were members of the Raymond family, among the earliest settlers of Racine, Wisconsin. It was in the vicinity of Racine that the mother spent her last years.

Charles M. Upham grew up to manhood in southern Wisconsin, and his first business experience was at Weyauwega in Waupaca county. where his brother Nathan had opened a store. A few years later they determined to extend their business to Shawano, and it was for the purpose of opening up the establishment that Charles M. Upham made the trip across country previously described.

In 1872 Mr. Upham married Julia Parsons, of Racine. Their two children are Robert A., and Sarah B. Mr. Upham has been affiliated with the Masonic order for a great many years, and though he keeps up his dues, seldom visits the lodge rooms any more. For a number of years he had extensive building holdings in Marshfield, the home of his brother, Governor Upham, but sold out his property there a few years ago and practically all his interests are concentrated in Shawano and vicinity.

Charles E. Otto. The present sheriff of Shawano county, Mr. Otto has been known to the citizens of that county since childhood, has been recognized as an industrious, independent man of action, and few have entered office in this county with so thorough a confidence on the part of their supporters. Mr. Otto was elected sheriff in the fall of 1912 taking office in January 6, 1913, succeeding Andrew F. Anderson. His election was on the Republican ticket. Mr. Otto has been a resident of Shawano county thirty-seven years, since childhood.

He was born at Appleton, Wisconsin, August 3, 1871, a son of Carl F. and Libbie (LeBrun) Otto. His father was a native of Germany and the mother of France. Charles E. Otto was three years old when brought to America by his father, Carl Otto, who settled first in Milwaukee, and later in Appleton. When Charles E. Otto was two years of age, his parents moved to a homestead in the town of Herman, in Shawano county, and it was on that place that the son grew to manhood, attending district school, and by work on the farm getting a practical training for his practical career.

On leaving school he engaged in lumbering and farming, worked as a cruiser, and also did considerable logging on the Red River. In 1908 he moved to Whitcomb, in Shawano county, where he was manager of the Whitcomb Lumber Company's mill until elected sheriff. Mr. Otto provides a home for his father, and the mother died June 12, 1913. They were the parents of eleven children. Sheriff Otto was married May 11, 1907, to Annie Nussbaum, of Stevensville, Wisconsin. Their three children are Wilma, and Edwin and Earl, the last two being twins.


Otto O. Wiegand.
Source: "Wisconsin Its Story And Biography 1848-1913" By Ellis Baker Usher, Vols. 5 & 6", 1914 - Transcribed and Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Friends for Free Genealogy"

During thirty years of residence in Shawano county, Mr. Wiegand has had a very busy career, has been identified with various useful activities in the city, and in recent years his time and services have been required in the public interests. He was a member of the Legislature, session of 1891 and 1892. He is now the efficient county clerk of Shawano county, in his second term, having been elected on the Republican ticket, and taking office in January, 1911. He was reelected in November, 1912. Prior to that he acted as deputy county clerk nine months during 1910, and before that served as supervisor of assessments of Shawano county. He was first appointed to that office by the tax commission in August, 1905, and was formally elected by the county board of supervisors in 1907. Mr. Wiegand has had his home in the city of Shawano since 1888, and in the county since 1884.

His native place was Manitowoc, Wisconsin, where he was born on a farm July 9, 1860, a son of Carl and Fredericka (Hamann) Wiegand, both natives of Germany. The father, a substantial farmer who died in 1871, came to America during the decades of the forties and located in Wisconsin in 1848, the year in which the territory became a state. His home was in Manitowoc county. The mother preceded her husband to Manitowoc county by a few months. She had married in Germany Mr. Mortz Mavis, who died soon after they settled in Wisconsin, and she then married Mr. Wiegand. Her death occurred in 1895. Otto O. Wiegand spent his boyhood on the home farm in Manitowoc county, getting his education in the country schools, and also attending the Oshkosh Normal. His educational equipment fitted him for work as a teacher, and he was thus engaged for three years in Manitowoc county and one year in Shawano county. During his residence in Manitowoc county, he acquired an interest in a cheese factory and in 1884 moved to Shawano county to establish a cheese factory in the town of Washington. That venture did not prove a success, and was abandoned after two seasons. For two seasons following Mr. Wiegand conducted a sawmill and taught school one winter. Moving into the city of Shawano he bought an interest in the Shawano County Advocate, one of the well known local newspapers, and was identified with its management and editorial control for ten years. Selling out he went into the telephone business, establishing an independent line in Shawano county. He was manager of the Independent Company for two years, at the end of which time he sold out and resumed the management of the Advocate for Mr. M. J. Wallrich. A year later he went into the canning business, and was connected with that work three years until his appointment as supervisor of assessments diverted him from private business to public affairs.

Mr. Wiegand has been twice married. In 1886 he married Miss Anna Schultz of the town of Two Rivers in Manitowoc county. She died in 1896 leaving two children, Edna and Oscar. In 1905 Mr. Wiegand was united in marriage with Alberta Rueckert, of the town of Washington, Shawano county. Their four children are : Ashley, Grace, Alberta and Pearl. Fraternally Mr. Wiegand is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias.



HOME

©Genealogy Trails