Sheboygan County Wisconsin
Biographies

John A. Bentley
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Denise Moreau

The subject of this sketch, a native of Kingsbury, Washington county, New York, was born on the 27th of January, 1836, and is the son of Cornelius Bentley and Mary née Brayton. His parents, well-to-do farmers, were highly respected in their community, and took special care in training their children to habits of industry and morality. He passed his boyhood and youth in his native place, dividing his time between farm work and attending the common school. At the close of his preparatory studies he began the study of law with Judges Rosencrans and Ferris, of Glens Falls, teaching during a part of the time to defray his expenses. After his admission to the bar, in 1857, he established himself in his profession at Glens Falls, and conducted a practice with varied success until March, 1859, when he removed to Wisconsin.

Settling in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, he remained one year, and at the end of that time removed to his present home in Sheboygan. Here, forming a copartnership with Judge William K. Gordon, he conducted a successful practice during ten months, at the expiration of which time the firm was dissolved and Mr. Bentley began a practice on his own account, which he continued with good success until 1869. At this time associating himself with Mr. William H. Seaman, under the firm name of Bentley and Seaman, he began that practice which has grown in influence and extent year by year up to the present time (1876), since which time he has given most of his attention to the interests of the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac Railroad, of which he was president for upward of two years.

Aside from his regular business, he has shown a public-spiritedness, and been interested in many enterprises tending to the welfare of his State and city, and been honored by his fellow-citizens with positions of public trust. In 1864 he was elected to the State senate on the republican ticket. In 1876 he was appointed commissioner of pensions, in place of Colonel Gill, of Madison, resigned.

He was married on the 5th of September, 1861, to Isabella J. Peat, by whom he has one son.

Mr. Bentley is eminently a self-made man, beginning life without money. His career has been marked by gradual growth, and at the present time he is widely known as a thorough business man and financial manager, and is a gentleman of high social standing, respected by all, and most highly esteemed by those who know him best.

Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

JOHN A. BENTLEY, Denver, Colorado, is a native of the State of New York, having been born in the town of Kingsbury, Washington county, January 27, 1836. His parent were Cornelius and Mary Brayton Bentley. There we in independent circumstances, highly respected in the community in which they lived, and took special care to bring up their children to habits of industry and morality. John A. Bentley passed his early days on his father’s farm and attending the public schools and an academy in the neighborhood of his native place. Having completed his education he commenced the study of the law with the late Judge E. H. Rosenkrans of the supreme court of New York and Orange Ferris, both of Glen Falls, Warren county, New York, continued it later with U. G. Paris, of Sandy Hill, Washington county, New York, and graduated at the Albany Law School in 1857, which admitted him to practice in the courts of the State of New York. During the prosecution of his law studies Mr. Bentley devoted a portion of his time in the commendable and culturing employment of teaching school to enable him to defray his expenses.

Immediately upon his admission to the bar he established himself in his profession at Glens Falls, where he remained until March, 1859, when he came to Wisconsin, settling at first in Manitowoc; he practiced there one year, when he transferred his business to Sheboygan, where has been his place of residence to the present time. His practice has been alone excepting for three brief periods of partnership with the late Judge W. R. Gorshine, G. W. Werden and W. H. Seaman, all at Sheboygan.

In 1864 Mr. Bentley was elected to the state senate, and served with acceptance. Subsequently he was president of the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac railroad, in which capacity he was active manager two years. In 1876 he was tendered the position of United States commissioner of pensions, which he accepted and at once entered upon the duties of office. He found a vast deal of unfinished and complicated work on his hands, and gave his entire time, night and day, to putting the affairs of the office in order, completing which he addressed himself to needed reforms in the outside workings of the bureau. In doing this he met with violent opposition from professional pension agents, inasmuch as he brought about the system of pensioners dealing directly with the departments. His recommendation was likewise adopted of concentrating the government pension agencies. It may be saying too much to add that the state is reasonably proud of the impartial, independent and successful manner in which Commissioner Bentley has performed the responsible duties of the high office he so occupied. And all this for less remuneration than his regular law business would naturally afford him. Mr. Bentley is still young, in the best of health, and has years of continued usefulness before him.

Since this sketch was prepared Mr. Bentley, having served out his term of commissioner of pensions, relinquished the office and has settled down in the practice of law in Denver, Colorado.
 


Thomas M. Blackstock
SHEBOYGAN
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

THE subject of this biography, a native of Armagh County, Ireland, is the son of Thomas and Sarah (Martin) Blackstock, and was born in 1834. His father died when the son was three years old, and he received no education in his native country other than that obtained in a Presbyterian Sunday-school. In 1848 he came to the United States in company with an aunt and three sisters, his mother having preceded. He spent one year as an errand boy in a Sheboygan hotel, and at fifteen years of age went into the drug store of Dr. J. J. Brown, who not only taught him how to sell drugs and mix medicines, but encouraged him to study during his leisure time, and sent him, during one term, to the seminary at Lima, Livingston County, New York, where he improved his time.

After being with Dr. Brown about six years, on account of failing health he was compelled to seek out-of-door employment. He superintended the plank road between Sheboygan and Rosendale for a few years; was in the employ of A. L. McCrea about four years, managing his wood and brick business, three miles north of Sheboygan. In 1863 he purchased Dr. Brown's interest in drugs and medicines, and has continued the business since that date. Aside from his regular business, he is president of the Merchants Wheat Association and of the Phoenix Chair Company, and to the latter organization gives a large share of his time.

Mr. Blackstock is one of the leading men in encouraging home manufactures and everything which, in any way, will advance local interests. As a businessman he is thorough-going, eminently practical, and untiring in whatever industrial pursuit engages his attention.

He was a member of the general assembly in 1869, and later was mayor of the city for three consecutive years. In political sentiments he is a republican.

His practical good sense, his unquestioned integrity, and his watchfulness in looking after the interests of the place, make him very popular with his fellow citizens.

Mr. Blackstock was religiously educated a Presbyterian, and attends the church of that name in Sheboygan. He is, however, quite liberal in his views, and is inclined toward Unitarianism.

His wife was Bridget Denn, of Sheboygan. They were married in i860, and have no children.


George H. Brickner
Source: "A Biographical congressional directory From the 1st ( 1774) to the 62nd (1911) Congress"; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack

Brickner, George H, a Representative from Wisconsin; born in Bavaria, Germany, January 21, 1834; came to Ohio in 1840; attended the common schools; woolen manufacturer; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-first, Fifty-second, and Fifty-third Congresses, and served from March 4, 1889, until his death in Sheboygan Falls, Wis., August 12, 1904.


John J. Brown, M.D.
SHEBOYGAN
Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

John J. Brown was born in Toronto, Canada, J January 24, 1819; and is the son of John Brown, a native of New Hampshire, and Mary Skeldon, of England. The family went to Buffalo, New York, when John was an infant, and there he spent his early boyhood. Later they settled on a farm in the town of Darien, in Genesee County; and the son received an academic education at the Alexander Seminary, in the same county.

He began the study of medicine with Dr. Long, of Corfu, near Darien, in 1841; later, attended lectures at the Geneva Medical College, and graduated in 1845. After practicing one year at Clarence, in Erie County, New York, he, in 1846, removed to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where he practiced his profession until the opening of the rebellion.

In 1862 he was appointed examining surgeon, but preferring to go into the field, he enlisted as a private soldier; he was afterward promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel of the 27th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers. He remained in the service until the spring of 1864, when, by reason of a severe illness and general debility, he was honorably discharged. The year before going into the war Dr. Brown was appointed postmaster by President Lincoln, and resigned while in the service.

After leaving the army he assisted Professor Blaney two years in the laboratory of Rush Medical College, Chicago; was chosen professor of natural sciences in the Slate Normal School at Whitewater, Wisconsin, in 1868, and held that position one year. He spent the following year in Florida, in the study of botany and other branches of natural history. In 1872 he visited St. Thomas, St. Croix and other West India islands. He was sent out by the Chicago Academy of Sciences, with Dr. Velie and W. W. Calkins, on a scientific expedition to Florida, in the winter of 1874-75 and spent the winter of 1876-77 on the Bahamas, engaged mainly in the study of conchology and botany. He has a fine collection in natural history, and in conchology has probably the best collection in the State.

Dr. Brown was married to Miss Hadley, of Darien, New York, in 1845 - who died in 1868, leaving five children. In 1871 he was married to Miss Gallup, of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

He is a thorough student, and is passionately fond of scientific studies in certain branches, and his collections already made are very valuable. Since the close of the War he has never resumed his profession, but devoting his chief attention to scientific study and investigation, has contributed in no small degree to the dissemination of scientific knowledge.


John B. Cole
SHEBOYGAN
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

One of the oldest railroad conductors in the United States, now living, is John Beekman Cole, who for thirty-two years past has been a resident of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin. He is a son of Nathan and Chloe (Rowley) Cole, and was born in Schenectady, New York, November 27, 1817. Both of his grandfathers participated in the war for American independence.

John spent his boyhood, till fourteen years of age, in Schenectady, receiving an ordinary common school education. Later, he lived three years in New York city, with an uncle, who was a steamboat agent. At the age of seventeen he returned to his home, and acted as steward on a packet plying between Schenectady and Utica, until August 1836, when, the railroad having been completed as far as Utica, he commenced running as a conductor between Schenectady and that point, and on the 3rd of July 1839, ran the first passenger train into Syracuse. In 1842 he was conductor from Auburn to Rochester. In 1844, 1845 and 1846 he ran a packet from Syracuse to Rochester, moving his family, meantime, to Sheboygan, in 1845. At the close of navigation in 1846, he himself made a permanent settlement near Sheboygan. On reaching his new home he immediately built a saw-mill at Pigeon River, two and a half miles northwest of Sheboygan, and, about three years later, erected a gristmill at the same place. He remained at that place, engaged in the milling and lumber business, until 1861, when he moved into Sheboygan. During the next three or four years he was engaged in buying and selling wheat, and at the expiration of that time started a boot and shoe store, and operated in that line until June 1868, when he opened the Beekman House, which he conducted for seven years.

At an early day Mr. Cole was chairman of the Sheboygan town board for a year or two, but has evaded office holding as much as possible. In political sentiment he is a republican, and formerly was a Seward whig. He is a member of the blue lodge in the Masonic fraternity.

On the 5th of November, 1838, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Trow, of New Hampshire. They have had five children, three of whom, a son and two daughters, are now living. The son is unmarried, and lives in Sheboygan. The elder daughter, Alice E., is the wife of James L. Mallory, a native of Niagara County. New York, but a resident of Sheboygan for thirty-two years. He is express agent, telegrapher, and deputy collector of customs, and in business circles is known as a young man of marked ability. The second daughter, Mary L., is the wife of Edgar A. Hill, merchant, of Chicago.

As a man, Mr. Cole is energetic and public spirited, and has taken part in most of the enterprises which have made Sheboygan what it is — a thriving city of eight thousand inhabitants.


James E. Danaher
Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters

James E. DANAHER, lumber manufacturer; born, Plymouth, Wis., (Sheboygan Co) Oct. 16, 1854; son of Patrick M. and Mary (O'Brien) Danaher; educated in public schools of Milwaukee; married at Watertown, Wis., 1881, Hattie A. McMann. Began in lumber business with his father at Ludington, Mich., 1877; entered lumber business on his own account, 1887; located in Detroit from Sault Ste. Marie, 1902. Secretary Danaher & Melendy Co., manufacturers and wholesale dealers in lumber. Also director Dime Savings Bank, Detroit Trust Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Supervisor Ludington, Mich., and mayor, 1888-89. Republican. Catholic. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Golf. Recreations: Golf, yachting and outdoor exercises generally. Office: 1007 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 45 E. Willis Av.

Henry Esswein
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

ESSWEIN Henry A, Minneapolis. Res 3228 3d av S, office 422 3d st S. Merchant. Born Mar 6, 1864 in Sheboygen Wis, son of George and Margaret Esswein. Educated in common schools. Moved to St Paul 1888 and was engaged as hardware salesman until 1904; member firm of Ornes-Esswein & Co Minneapolis butchers and bar supplies wines and fancy groceries 1904 to date.


Arthur, Victor & Walter Friese
Plymouth Herald (31 May 1924) republishedd from the Sheboygan Press of 1918; submitted by Diana Heser Morse
 

(Click on Photo to Enlarge)

From Left to Right Arthur, Victor and Walter Friese
 

That the same spirit which dominated the lives of the family that answered the call of President Lincoln still lives is best evidenced by the fact that three grandsons, sons of A. H. Friese of this city, were in service during the late war: Corporal Walter J. Friese who enlisted in the U. S. Marine Corps, May 6, 1917; Private Arthur G. Friese who was stationed at Camp Dodge Des Moines, Iowa, and Victor A. Friese who was a sargent in the 9th Reg. W. S. G. when called by the draft. Corporal Friese was wounded several times and was gassed. He was given five citations for bravery and received the French Croix de Guerre.


M. D. L. Fuller
The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark

M. D. L. Fuller, Plymouth, was born in New York, August 18, 1850; graduated at Milton College, Wisconsin, in 1871; was engaged as a teacher for several years in the public schools of Wisconsin; was elected county superintendent of schools for Sheboygan county in 1873; was admitted to the bar in 1875, and since then has resided at Plymouth in the practice of his profession. In the fall of 1880 he was elected a member of the assembly, and at the session of 1881 was a member of the committee on the judiciary, and also that on medical societies.


Russell Getzlaff
Source: The Sheboygan Press (Sheboygan, Wis.) Wednesday, 27 Aug. 1930; submitted by Jim Dezotell

Roller Skater Is Hurt In Accident

Russell, 7-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Getzlaff, 2419 N. Fifth street, suffered severe body bruises at 7 p.m., Tuesday, when he was struck by an automobile driven by Mrs. F. S. Shaw, 2615 N. Eighth street at Clifton avenue and N. Fourth street. He was on roller skates and was crossing Clifton avenue when he was struck. He was taken home, where he was treated by a physician.


Simon Gillen
(Sheboygan County – Second District – The village of Sheboygan Falls, and the towns of Greenbush, Lyndon, Mitchell, Plymouth, Sheboygan Falls, and the city of Plymouth. Population, 10,371.)
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 560; transcribed by Mary Saggio

SIMON GILLEN (Dem.), of Cascade, was born in the town of Mitchell, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, May 1, 1855; received a common school education; is a farmer; has always resided in Sheboygan county; was member of county board of supervisors in 1880 and ’81, and was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 753 votes against 683 votes for W. H. Roberts, republican, and 205 for H. Giddings, greenbacker.


Hugh Martin Halsted
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos

HALSTED Hugh Martin, St Paul. Res 899 Raymond av, office St Paul. Whol lumber. Born Dec 19, 1880 in Sheboygan Wis, son of David Wisner and Bertha Kathryn (Balzer) Halsted. Educated in the public schools of Sheboygan; high school St Paul and law dept U of M. Engaged in whol lumber business under firm name of Halsted & Booraem 1906 to date.


Michael C. Harlow
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos

HARLOW Michael C, Thief River Falls. Real estate and loans. Born Sept 17, 1853 in Sheboygan county Wis, son of James and Mary (Fox) Harlow. Married in Aug 1893 to Rose Meisenberg. Graduated from normal school Oshkosh Wis. Engaged in teaching and farming in Spink county S D 1880-93; in hotel business Armstrong Ia until 1900; moved to Thief River Falls and engaged in real estate business to date. Member and pres of city council 2 years.


E. J. Heule
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) transcribed by Kim Mohler.

E. J. Heule is a native of Wisconsin, born in Sheboygan Falls, Sheboygan county, in December, 1857. His father, John Heule, was born in Holland, where he grew up and married. Immigrating with his family to the United States, he lived for a short time in New York and from there went to Sheboygan county, Wis. He was a farmer by occupation. His death occurred in 1866, and his widow, whose maiden name was Jane Hunter, survived him many years and married again. To the marriage of John Heule and Jane Hunter were born six children; five of whom are still living, viz.: William, a resident of Sheboygan Falls; Edward, of the same city; E. J.; Henry, who lives in Appleton, Wis.; and Frank, living in Superior.

E. J. Heule in his boyhood attended the public schools of Sheboygan Falls, but left at an early age to enter the chair factory of Bemis Brothers as an apprentice to the business. In their employ he obtained a thorough knowledge of the trade and then went to Menasha, Wis., engaging in the business with Herbert Bemis, of the firm previously referred to. There he remained for a number of years, until the firm was dissolved.

Mr. Heule’s long and active experience in the manufacture of chairs has given him a detailed knowledge of the business which has contributed largely to the success of the firm with which he had been connected. In his politic sympathies Mr. Heule is a Republican, and is held in high esteem as a citizen.


Adam Kuentz
Source: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood County, Wis.) 26 Aug. 1930; transcribed by Marla Zwakman

Adam Kuentz, a resident of Clark County for 60 years, was born in Germany, April 2, 1844, and came to America with his parents when he was two years of age. He attended the country schools and assisted on the farm and later worked in lumber camps. He conducted a cheese factory in Sheboygan County for a number of years and came to Colby in 1870, buying 120 acres of land. In 1880 he built a hardware store in Colby, which he conducted for 19 years, disposing of it to Zillmann brothers, who in turn sold it to Stroota and Stieber, the present owners. Mr. Kuentz at one time belonged to the Wisconsin Scheutzen Verein, and took an active part in the annual meetings, winning many prizes. Although he is 68 years of age, he is enjoying good health. He is a member of the Lutheran church.

He was married at Ashland, on July 1, 1892, to Miss Amelia Hildebrand. They have two children, Herbert Kuentz, Appleton, and Mrs. Fred Schwierske, Colby, with whom they reside.

Politically, he is a progressive Republican. His hobbies are target shooting and card playing.


Asahel Phelps Lyman
SHEBOYGAN
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Ashael Phelps Lyman, a native of the Empire State, was born at Brookfield, Madison County, January 23, 1814, and is the son of Asahel Lyman, a merchant, and Dolly nee Blair. When he was two years old the family moved to Cortlandville, Cortland County, New York. He was educated in the district school and Homer Academy, and from about sixteen to twenty-two years of age was a clerk in his father's store. Subsequently he was in the mercantile trade with his younger brother, George N. Lyman, in the village of Cortlandville.

In September, 1846, Mr. Lyman moved to Sheboygan, where, in company with his brother, he continued the mercantile trade for several years, the firm being A. P. and G. N. Lyman. For some time they had branch stores at Sheboygan Falls, Fond du Lac, Berlin and Calumet, and conducted a very heavy business. During the time they were in partnership they built a flouring mill and sawmill at Sheboygan Falls; the former, known as Rock Mills, is still running.

About 1855 they dissolved partnership, George N. going to Ripon. Asahel, remaining in Sheboygan, continued in trade until about 1865, when he engaged in ship-building, launching several of the finest vessels that ever sailed on our inland seas. In this enterprise, however, he was unfortunate. One or two vessels were lost in storms; the Cortland was sunk on Lake Erie by colliding with the steamer Morning Star, and still remains at the bottom of that lake, and the Sailor Boy was lost at sea between New York and New Orleans.

Meeting with so many losses Mr. Lyman concluded that his fortune did not lie in that direction, and accordingly discontinued shipbuilding about 1867, and turned his attention to farming. At one time he owned several farms, but has disposed of all but one, which is only a mile from the city.

On the 25th of October 1837, he was married to Miss Cynthia Higbee, of Otsego County, New York. They have one child, Sylvester Blair Lyman, who has a family and lives in Milwaukee.

In local improvements Mr. Lyman has been one of the leading men in Sheboygan. Years ago he erected several fine dwelling houses; also two or three large stores and other buildings. He contributed liberally toward building the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac plank road and the railroad connecting the two points, and for a short time was a director of the latter road. He was one of the first harbor commissioners, and one of the foremost men in getting the Sheboygan harbor built. His fellow citizens hold him in high esteem.


W. S. Manning
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) Transcribed by: Glenda Stevens

HON. W. S. MANNING, County Judge, vice-president of the State Bank, at Ladysmith, and a prominent dealer in real estate, is one of the leading citizens of this section of Wisconsin.

Judge Manning was born Aug. 26, 1855, in Sheboygan County, Wis., a son of E. D. and Elizabeth (Shaugen) Manning, the former of whom was born at Saratoga, N. Y., the latter at Morristown, New Jersey.

His father dying is his youth, E. D. Manning accompanies his mother, then Mrs. Jacob Ling, to this State, and settled in Sheboygan County, in 1848. In this county he married and lived until 1856, when he and his wife removed to Baraboo, a year later going to Richland county, where they settled permanently. The father died in 1898, aged seventy years, and the mother is still surviving and residing on the old homestead there. Mr. Manning was a man of affairs and held numerous offices.

Judge Manning is the oldest of his parents’ five children. He was reared on his father’s farm and remained at home until maturity, obtaining his education in attendance at the common and high schools of Richland county. At the age of seventeen he began teaching in the public schools, and followed this profession for some sixty months. During this time he employed spare moments in the study of the law, and finally entered the office of Clark & Jackson, as a student. They were prominent attorneys at Plymouth, Wis., and were his office preceptors one year. He was admitted to the Bar in October. 1880, and immediately opened a law office at Muscoda, Wis., for the succeeding nine years closely applying himself to the demands of his profession.

In 1889 Judge Manning became associated with E. I. Kidd, formerly State Bank examiner, Atley Peterson, State Railroad commissioner, J. O. Davidson, now lieutenant-governor of Wisconsin, W. H. Bennett, B. F. Washburn, Ole O. Dahl and A. C. V. Elston, in the organization of the Kickapoo Valley and Northern Railway, now the Wisconsin Western and a part of the Milwaukee system. Mr. Manning was the active manager of this company, and they completed thirty-four of the fifty-one miles between Soldiers’ Grove and Wauzeka, finishing their contract in 1891. In 1895 he went to Kentucky, where he had a contract for the construction of twenty-five miles of road, which is now operated by the Louisville & Nashville Company. After the completion of this second contract, Mr. Manning returned to Wisconsin, and became cashier of a bank at Soldiers’ Grove; he served in that capacity until 1900, when he came to Ladysmith as the representative of the J. L. Gates Land Co., of Milwaukee. This place was then a hamlet, with seventy-four residents by actual count, and was known as the village of Warner. Here Judge Manning was confronted with a business opportunity, which he was not slow to take advantage of. Prior to this there had been much agitation concerning a division from Chippewa County, and the question had been before the Legislature. It needed but the enterprise of an energetic and forceful man, like Judge Manning, to take the matter in hand. He saw its expediency and became the champion of the bill, and went before the Legislature of 1900 as the representative of those interested. He labored during the whole session and it was largely through his efforts that the bill was finally passed authorizing the division which wa accomplished in May, 1901.

About this time Gov. LaFollette named Mr. Manning for the position of County Judge, his present term to extend until 1906. He has dealt extensively in the Gates Company’s lands and continues to be one of the company’s representatives, having also large personal holdings. He has been very active in encouraging emigration and has been the direct means of locating many desirable settlers in this county.

In politics Judge Manning is a Democrat, and for many years has been one of the acknowledged party workers. He has served as delegate for his party to State and other conventions, and was twice a candidate for district attorney. Fraternally he is a Mason, one of the organizers and charter members of the Mystic Tie Lodge, No. 280, of which he was the first master; is a Knight Templar, De Molai Commandery, of Boscobel, Wis., and belongs to the order of Odd Fellows, being connected with the Ladysmith Lodge of that organization.

In 1880 Judge Manning was united in marriage with Miss Ida M. Elston, and their two children died in infancy. An adopted daughter, Frances C., is given parental care and a good home. In 1900 Judge Manning built a handsome modern house, on a beautiful point overlooking the Flambeau river.


Jerome L. Marsh
SHEBOYGAN
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

The subject of this biography, a son of Luther and Laura (Frisbee) Marsh, was born in Elizabethtown, Essex County, New York, January 20, about 1820. His father died when the son was about one year old. Soon afterward the family moved to Chautauqua County, in the western part of the State, and at seven years of age Jerome went into the office of the "Fredonia Censor," then conducted by his uncle, Henry Frisbee; after remaining there about seven years he entered a job office in Rochester for a short time, and afterward worked in the office of Weed and Sprague, publishers of the "Anti-Masonic Enquirer," in that city. Removing to Michigan City, Indiana, he spent one season there, setting up, as a journeyman printer, the first number of the first newspaper printed in that place. Later he spent about three years in Peoria, Illinois, printing the "Champion." Removing to Ottawa, Illinois, he established a democratic paper; because he was pledged to support the regular nominees the leaders of the party withdrew their support, and he was soon stripped of all he had. He removed to Platteville, Wisconsin, in 1841, and spent several years there and at Lancaster engaged in the newspaper business, except during two or three years which he spent on a farm in Grant County. He afterward went to Madison and worked about two years as a printer in the office of the "State Journal."

In January 1871, Mr. Marsh settled in Sheboygan County, purchased the "Sheboygan Falls Herald," moved it to the city of Sheboygan, and there, with his only son, continues to publish the paper under the firm name and style of J. L. and Geo. Marsh, the son having most of the editorial management. December 26, 1873, the subject of this sketch received the appointment of postmaster, and still holds the office (1877).

In politics, he was formerly a democrat, but withdrew from that party about 1856, and for twenty years past has acted heartily with the republicans.

In 1847 Mr. Marsh was married to Miss Melissa Moore, of Platteville, Grant County, Wisconsin. They have three daughters, and one son already mentioned. One of the daughters, Dora, is the wife of George T. Sumner, a rising attorney of Sheboygan; another, Laura B., assists her brother in writing for the "Herald," and also corresponds for some of the Chicago dailies; and the youngest, Nellie M., is a clerk in the post office.

While residing in Grant County Mr. Marsh held the office of county treasurer two years — the only political office of any consequence, except his present one, that he has ever held. As is seen, from early boyhood he has passed nearly all his years in a printing-office, entering fifty years ago, and his experience has been very like that of most publishers of country newspapers.

Mr. Marsh is now in comfortable circumstances, surrounded by all the members of his family. He is assiduous in the discharge of his official duties, courteous and obliging, and is highly esteemed by all.

His son George, who was educated at the State University at Madison, though not a graduate, is, like his father, a hard worker and an excellent journalist.


John Marshall
(Sheboygan County – Third District – The towns of Holland, Lima, Scott, Sherman and Wilson. Population, 9,682.)
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 560; transcribed by Mary Saggio

JOHN MARSHALL (Rep.), of Adell, was born in England, October 3, 1844; received a common school education; is by occupation a farmer; came to America in childhood and to Wisconsin in 1855, settling at Milwaukee thence in 1860 to Sheboygan county; has been supervisor of town for six years; justice of the peace in 1881, and was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 547 votes against 377 for Bernhard Brucker, democrat, and 91 for Henry Wolfert, greenbacker.


Martin W. McDonnell
(Buffalo County (in part) – The towns of Alma, Belvidere, Buffalo, Buffalo City, Cross, Dover, Gilmanton, Glencoe, Lincoln, Milton, Modena, Montana, Nelson and Waumandee, and the villages of Alma and Fountain City. Population, 12, 751.)
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 541; transcribed by Mary Saggio

MARTIN W. McDONNELL (Ind.), of Alma, was born in the county Mayo, Ireland, August 15, 1846; received the rudiments of a common school education; is a lumberman by occupation, but for two years past has been sheriff of the county; his parents left Ireland when he was an infant and settled at Zanesville, Ohio; he came to Wisconsin in 1854 and settled at Scott, Sheboygan county; enlisted in May, 1864, in 39th Wis. Vol. Inf., as private, serving until the fall of that year, when he was honorably discharged, and afterwards received a certificate of thanks for his military services, signed by President Lincoln; was an unsuccessful candidate for member of assembly in 1876; was chairman of town board 1878 and ’79; was sheriff during 1880 and ’81, and was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 1,025 votes, against 573 votes for John C. Rathbun, republican.


Wilbur M. Root
(Sheboygan County – First District – City of Sheboygan, and towns of Herman, Mosel, Rhine, Sheboygan and Russell. Population 14,173.)
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), pgs. 559-560; transcribed by Mary Saggio

WILBUR M. ROOT (Dem.) of Sheboygan, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, December 27, 1842; received a common school education; is a marble dealer and proprietor of a livery stable; came to Wisconsin in 1849, and settled in Plymouth, Sheboygan county; removed to Sheboygan city in 1871; was justice of the peace for several years, and sheriff in 1872 and ’73; enlisted April 23, 1861, in Co. C, 4th Regt. Wis. cavalry, and was discharged July 9, 1864, on expiration of term of enlistment; was member of assembly in 1879, and re-elected for 1880; was elected member of present assembly by a vote of 1,071 against 719 for William Halbach, republican.


William C. Roth Family
Unknown source; contributed by Ron Flink & transcribed by Marla Zwakman

THE WILLIAM (W. C.) ROTH FAMILY
William C. Roth was born June 15, 1877 at Mishicot, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, the son of John Roth and Mary Sand. Edna Mary Pokel was born March 25, 1884 at Plymouth, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, the daughter of Wilheim George Pokel and Frederika Mohmsam Pokel. I think they were united in marriage around 1907 or 1909. They moved to Ladysmith from Owen,
Wisconsin shortly after that, first living in the Manley Hotel (later known as the Baker Hotel). Then they moved across the street into an apartment (which was later known as the Spiedel Drug Store). From there they often watched the Ku Klux Klan meetings being conducted on the hotel porch. My father was a member at one time. Their next move was to a house on Ninth Street, which
was later known as the Durand house. They didn't live there too long, as the cockroaches drove them out. My father bought a piece of land, north on Highway 27, on which he built a two story home. The home is still standing. My father was a carpenter by trade and built many homes around Ladysmith. He also was a blacksmith and had a shop somewhere around where the railroad depot is today. In later years he worked for the railroad, building coal docks. He built the coal dock in Ladysmith, but it was torn down after they started using Diesel engines. He also built coal docks in West Bend, Wisconsin, Columbus, Ohio and other places I can't remember. I know he would be gone for months at a time. My father built a building on our property, and manufactured floats for fishing, shipping them to all parts of the country. My parents never owned a car, but bought a truck to use in their float business. My mother was a member of the Episcopal Church, but since there wasn’t any here, she went to several churches, later selecting the Methodist Church, to which some of us still belong. They raised cows, pigs and chickens and always had a big garden. My mother churned her own butter, and we always had plenty to eat. My father loved to pick berries, so my mother was always busy canning. He also loved to hunt and fish. To this union five children were born: John in 1910, Kenneth in 1915, Evelyn in 1917, Willard in 1919 and Beatrice in 1920. John passed away in 1923 from a ruptured appendix, my father in 1955 and ray mother in 1964. Submitted by Beatrice (Roth) Keller



Frederick J. Schwankovsky
Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters

FREDERICK J. SCHWANKOVSKY, pianos and musical merchandise; born, Abbott, Wis., May 16, 1859; son of Rev. Conrad and Martha (Meyers) Schwankovsky; educated by private and public tuition at Harrisburg, Pa.; married at Detroit, February, 1884, Julia St. Vrain. Began active career in Harrisbury, in book and stationery business, continuing two years; came to Detroit,1876, and entered house of H. Bishop, pianos, etc., and bought him out in 1877; also bought out stock of Adam Cause, 1879, and has continued in business in his own name. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian Clubs: Detroit, Harmonie. Recreations: Cultivation of shrubs, plants; literature. Office: 238-240 Woodward Av., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.

Terrett C. Sharp
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 504; transcribed by Susan Geist

TERRETT C. SHARP (Dem.), of Elkhart Lake, Sheboygan county, was born at Willsborough Falls, Essex county, New York, October 2, 1845; he received a common school education and is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled at Sheboygan, removing to Elkhart Lake in 1856; was chairman of town of Rhine for 1880, 1881 and 1882, and was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 1,610 votes, without opposition.


John R. Sharpstein
Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

JOHN R. SHARPSTEIN, San Francisco, California, who for seventeen years was a member of the Wisconsin bar, was born May 3, 1823, in the town of Richmond, county of Ontario, State of New York. From five to twelve years of age he attended the common school of the district in which his parents lived. When he was twelve years of age his parents moved to Michigan and settled upon a farm in the town of Ray, county of Macomb, near the village of Romeo and about twenty-five or thirty miles from Detroit. There, with the exception of six months in 1843, during which he was a pupil in the Norwalk Seminary, of which the late Bishop Thompson was principal, the subject of this sketch resided until he was admitted to the bar. He was educated in the common schools, in a select school taught by A. S. Welch, now president of the Iowa Agricultural College, at the Norwalk Seminary of Ohio, and in what was then a branch of the Michigan State University located at Romeo. He was never graduated at any college. He read law at Romeo in the office of William T. Mitchell, late a circuit court judge of Michigan. In March, 1847, he was admitted to the bar of that state, and immediately thereafter went to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where he met Judge Taylor, General Hobart, Judge Gorsline, General E. Fox Cook, Messrs. Elmell, Clinton, Hiller, Jennings, Howard and Williams, all of whom were his seniors at the bar, and by all of whom he was treated with marked kindness. He at first entered the office of General Cook, and after remaining with him for a few months opened an office by himself. In the spring of 1848 Judge Taylor resigned the office of prosecuting attorney of that county, and upon his recommendation Mr. Sharpstein was appointed to fill the unexpired term. In the fall of 1847 the late A. G. Miller held a short term of court in Sheboygan, and Mr. Sharpstein’s first appearance in a court of record was during that term. One year afterward the late Chief Justice A. W. Stow held a term of the state circuit court there, and Mr. Sharpstein, as prosecuting attorney and otherwise, had a fair share of the cases disposed of at that term. In the early part of 1849 he left Sheboygan and went to Southport, since known as Kenosha, to live. He at once opened a law office there, and in 1850 was elected prosecuting attorney of that county. In 1851 he was elected to the state senate, at which he was a member during the years of 1852 and 1853. In May of the latter year he was appointed, by President Pierce, attorney of the United States for the district of Wisconsin, and in the fall of that year he removed to Milwaukee. He held that office until the spring of 1857, when he resigned it. During his incumbency a fugitive slave, named Glover, was arrested by the United States marshal and lodged in the county jail to await an examination under the fugitive slave law. Glover was rescued by a large party of citizens who broke into the jail for that purpose. Several of the rescuers were indicted by the United States grand jury and three were them, including S. M. Booth, were tried and convicted. They were promptly discharged by the supreme court of the state of habeas corpus. The affair at the time caused considerable excitement. In the spring of 1856 Mr. Sharpstein became the proprietor of the Milwaukee News and retained the editorial control of it for a period of about six years. In 1857 he was appointed postmaster at Milwaukee by Mr. Buchanan, and held the office a little over one year, when his term ended by the refusal of the senate to confirm the nomination. In 1860 he was one of the delegates to the democratic national convention, which first assembled at Charleston and them adjourned to meet at Baltimore. He was then a firm supporter of Mr. Douglas, and looks back with as much satisfaction upon that event as he does upon any in his life. In the spring of 1862 he was appointed superintendent of schools in Milwaukee, and filled the office until he resigned it in order to take a seat in the assembly to which he was elected in the district composed at that time of the first and seventh wards. Soon after the adjournment of the legislature he became associated with H. L. Palmer, with whom he remained about one year. In 1864 he left Milwaukee and went to San Francisco, where he has since lived and practiced law, with the exception of two years while he was judge of the twelfth district court in that city and the time which has intervened since he took his seat at the commencement of 1880 upon the supreme court bench of California.

He was appointed district judge by Governor Booth, since United States senator, to fill an unexpired term of two years which commenced January 1, 1874, and ended January 1, 1876. He was elected to his present position by the people of the state.

Soon after his admission to the bar he was married to his present wife, and they have two sons, both living in San Francisco. His only brother, who for many years lived and practiced law at Stevens Point, Wisconsin, has lived for the past fifteen years at Walla Walla, Washington territory, where he has a good practice in his profession. Judge Sharpstein has always been a firm believer in the soundness of the doctrines of the democratic party, and as a general rule has supported the nominees of that party, especially for president and vice-president of the United States.


Patrick Henry Smith
Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill

PATRICK HENRY SMITH (Dem.), of Plymouth, Sheboygan county, was born September 29, 1827, in the town of Royalton, Vt.; had a common school education; came to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled at Sheboygan, whence he moved to Plymouth in 1848; is a merchant; was the first town clerk of the town of Plymouth; was postmaster from 1853 to 1857, and deputy United States Marshal in 1869; is now alderman and president of the council of the city of Plymouth. Mr. Smith was elected state senator for 1880 and ’81, receiving 2,278 votes against 1,954 for Alvin Clark, Democrat, 662 for John E. Thomas, Greenbacker.

(Twentieth District – The county of Sheboygan, and the towns of Ashford, Auburn, Calumet, Eden, Forest, Marshfield, Osceola and Taycheedah, in the county of Fond du Lac. Population 46,916.)
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 534; transcribed by Mary Saggio

PATRICK HENRY SMITH (Dem.), of Plymouth, Sheboygan county, was born September 29, 1827, in the town of Royalton, Vermont; had a common school education; came to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled at Sheboygan, whence he removed to Plymouth; was postmaster from 1853 to 1857, and deputy United States marshal in 1880; has been alderman and president of the city council several times; in 1880 was appointed by Gov. Smith to investigate State Insane Asylum; was elected state senator for 1880 and ’81, and re-elected for 1882 and ’83; receiving 2,807 votes against 2,545 for George End, republican, and 361 for V. B. Knowles, greenbacker.

Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 479; transcribed by Vicki Bryan

PATRICK HENRY SMITH, (Dem.), of Plymouth, Sheboygan county, was born September 29, 1827, in the town of Royalton, Vermont; had a common school education; came to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled at Sheboygan, whence he removed to Plymouth in 1848; is a retired merchant; was the first town clerk of Plymouth; was postmaster from 1853 to 1857; and deputy United States marshal in 1860; has been alderman and president of the city council several times; in 1880 was appointed by Gov. Smith to investigate State Insane Asylum; was elected state senator for 1880 and ’81, and re-elected for 1882 and ’83, receiving 2,708 votes against 2,545 for George End, republican, and 361 for V. B. Knowles, greenbacker.


Alfred L. Swart
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 504; transcribed by Susan Geist

ALFRED L. SWART (Dem.), of Plymouth, was born in the town of Florida, Montgomery county, New York, June 11, 1840; received a common school education; is a dealer in agricultural machinery; came to Wisconsin in 1852 and settled at Plymouth, where he still resides; was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 924 votes against 674 for H. K. Loomis, republican, and 152 for H. A. Hosford, greenbacker.


John K. Thomas
The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin History and Biography, by Parker McCobb Reed (1882); Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Tammy Clark

John K. Thomas, Sheboygan Falls, was born in Rensselaer county, New York, November 27, 1829. When four years of age the family removed to Livingston county, and after a short period to Genesee county in the same state. At the last named place of residence the young son commenced his education in the common schools. This course of instruction was cut short when the financial crash of 1837 fell upon the country, and like thousands of other cases, swept away the property of the family. Hut this misfortune did not crush out the spirit and hopes of the young man. Having at this time arrived at the age of fifteen, he had recourse to his own unaided resources, which consisted of a good common school education, a healthy, vigorous constitution, a good character, and a willingness to work if he could find employment. With commendable resolution lie left home in quest of work. Looking about for a situation in whatever respectable business it might offer, he reached the city of Lockport, Niagara county. New York. After a few days' search he found employment with a merchant, and entered upon the battle of life. The duties of the situation he determined to fulfill to the satisfaction of his employer. That his success was complete is evident in the fact that during the four years he remained in the establishment, which was transacting a large business, he had honestly worked his way up from the lowest position to that of chief clerk or head salesman, and at the same time laid the foundation of thorough business attainments. And this was not the end of his efforts for self advancement; for during these four years of hard work in the store, he entered upon a course of private study, to which a portion of his earnings were devoted. To aid him in this task he wrote out his self imposed lessons on slips of paper, which were carried in his pockets for reference when memorizing and rehearsing them during the day. When he had gone as far in his studies as he well could, unaided, he called to his assistance a young educated German, and under this private tutor the higher branches were grappled with, and in addition to advancement made in the classics, a fair knowledge of the German language was acquired. Subsequently he studied medicine two years, with a view to its practice, which plan was finally abandoned to come west and engage in other avocations.

In the fall of 1849 he came to Wisconsin, remaining a short time at Southport, now Kenosha, and in September of that year locating at Sheboygan Falls, where he has since resided, and where in 1853 he married Miss Clara A. W. Cole. He engaged in business pursuits until 1856. when he commenced the study of law, and in 1858 was admitted to practice in the circuit court at Sheboygan, subsequently to the state supreme court, and to the United States district and circuit courts for Wisconsin. Having prepared himself by assiduous self culture and by thorough reading of law he was prepared to enter upon the practice of his chosen profession, which he did by locating his business in the city of Milwaukee, doing a lucrative business there from February 1858 to 1865, during which time his residence remained unchanged. Since the last named date his professional business has mainly been confined to the fourth judicial circuit. In 1862 he was called upon by the people with whom he had long associated, to serve them in responsible public duties, by electing him a member of assembly on the democratic ticket. At an extra session convened during his term of office, he served as chairman of the committee on the judiciary. In 1863 and 1864 he represented his district in the senate, and although belonging to the minority in that body, he was made chairman of the select committee to consider the liability of the state to sufferers by the Ozaukee county draft riot, and his report to pay for the destroyed property was adopted. He was a member of the board of trustees of the state institution for the deaf and dumb, for two terms; was treasurer of the board two years, and represented the state at the international meeting of teachers and other interested in the education of deaf mutes, held a Belleville, Ontario, Canada. He has been town and county superintended of schools, a member of the local school boards many years; was one of the first life member of the Wisconsin Academy of Science, Arts and Letters; served several years as secretary of the county agricultural and horticultural societies of his county, and has been ever ready to lend a helping hand to enterprises designed to advance civilization and education. He has held at various times, minor local officers, including president of the village and chairman of the county board of supervisors. For several years he has contributed to different periodicals and journals over various noms de plume, and in 1878 he purchased the Sheboygan County News, and with a daughter as substantial basis, and has secured for it a large patronage. Early in 1882 Mr. Thomas, in connection with others, established at Sheboygan Falls in Dairymens Bank, of which he became president. Mr. Thomas ran off congress on the greenback ticket in the fifth district in 1880, having been nominated against his urgent protest. He took the field, however, and preformed active service for the cause. Mr. Thomas is still in the vigor of life, and is eminently an example of a self-made man.


George W. Weeden
Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 504; transcribed by Susan Geist

GEORGE W. WEEDEN (Dem.), of Sheboygan P. O., was born in the town of Hampton, Washington county, New York, September 7, 1822, received an academic education; is a dairy farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1848 and settled at Wilson, his present residence; was member of county board in 1851, 1852, 1870, 1871, 1872, 1873 and 1878, and was chairman of the board except two years; was county treasurer in 1853 and 1854; county judge six years, beginning in 1868; county superintendent of schools in 1876 and 1877; for several years president of Sheboygan Falls dairy board of trade, and now president of the county dairy board of trade, was member of assembly in 1872, and elected to that position for 1883, receiving 952 votes against 370 for R. Hyatt, republican.


Carl Zillier
SHEBOYGAN
Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

The subject of this biography, a native of Prussia, was born in Halberstadt, April 18, 1838, his parents being Andrew and Julia (Franke) Zillier. His father, formerly a miller by occupation, immigrated to America in 1849, when Carl was eleven years old, and bought and settled on a farm two miles from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where he died in 1859. The son attended school most of the time until fifteen years of age, and then spent one year as clerk in a store in Sheboygan Falls; at sixteen went into a printing office at Carlinville, Illinois, and afterward aided in starting the first newspapers published at Petersburg in the same State. Returning to Wisconsin in 1857 he purchased the "Wisconsin Republikaner," changed its name to the "National Demokrat," and has continued to conduct it to the present time (1877), making it an influential journal among his countrymen.

During the years 1863-4 Mr. Zillier was a member of the general assembly, and there served on the committees on printing, the State prison, and one or two others, making himself especially serviceable on the first named committee. He served as county clerk for six years, his term of office expiring December 31, 1876, since which time he has served as school commissioner. He is a faithful worker for the interests of his adopted home, the beautiful city of Sheboygan.

Mr. Zillier is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity, and has been district deputy grand master. In politics he has always been identified with the democratic party.

On the 23rd of November 1859, he was married to Miss Julia Freeman, of Sheboygan. They have had seven children, six of whom are now living.

In stature Mr. Zillier is a man of solid proportions, being five feet eleven inches tall, and weighing two hundred and twenty-five pounds. He has a full, round face, with a kindly expression and the appearance of a man who is on good terms with the world.


BACK -- HOME

©Genealogy Trails