Charles William Pfeifer, M.D.
Dr. Charles William Pfeifer was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, on the 29th of June, 1858. His parents emigrated to America in 1847 and settled in Albany, New York, where the remained for twelve years. In 1856 the family moved to Washington county, Wisconsin. There his father, Andrew Pfeifer, purchased five acres of land which he operated in connection with his trade, which was that of a carpenter. In 1865 he removed to Scott township, Sheboygan county, where he purchased a farm which he worked until 1888. In that year he moved to Douglas county, South Dakota, at which place he died in 1902 at the advanced age of eighty-two years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Barbara Zand, was born in Switzerland.
Charles William Pfeifer was educated in the common schools of Sheboygan county and graduated from the Plymouth high school in 1882. He was subsequently engaged in educational work and for five years pursued the vocation of teaching school. He afterward entered Rush Medical College, where he completed the required course of study, graduating with the degree of M.D. in the class of 1885. Immediately following his graduation he began the practice of his profession, locating his office in Kewaskum, Washington county, where he remained for a term of nine years. In 1893 he removed to Sheboygan Falls and has since been actively pursuing the practice of his profession. He is a member of the Sheboygan County Medical Association. His career has been one of meritorious success and a great contribution to the medical profession. He was at different times president of the Sheboygan County Medical Society and ranks among the successful physicians of this county.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Dr. Pfeifer chose Miss Mary Jane Saemann, daughter of John Saemann, a resident farmer of Sheboygan county. To this union eight children have been born, as follows: Jane, who is teaching in the high school of Oshkosh; Edward, a student of Northwestern Medical College at Chicago, Illinois; Andrew, also a student in that institution; Walter, attending Armour Institute of Technology, at Chicago, Illinois; Arnold, who is deceased; Oliver; and Reuben and Robert, twins.
Fraternally Dr. Pfeifer is identified with the Masons of Sheboygan Falls, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Kewaskum, the Modern Woodmen of America at Sheboygan Falls and the Beavers lodge. He is a man of a wide range of experience and deeply studied in the essential science to which he has devoted himself as an indefatigable student for more than a quarter of a century. He is still in the prime of life and never more eager to acquire knowledge that will increase his already large stock of practical information. He is identified with all the social interest of his city and is a loyal friend to every public movement looking to the advancement of the people. [History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present; Volume II; Carl Zillier; S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912; JD, Sub by FoFG]
John M. Saemann, Sr.
John M. Saemann (deceased), a well-known pioneer of Sheboygan County, was born in Wittenburg, Germany, in 1804, and was a son of John Saemann. John M. Saemann was one of a family of four children, comprising three sons and a daughter. The eldest of the brothers was a soldier in the wars with Napoleon, and lost his life in the Moscow campaign under that general. Christopher, the second, came to America and settled in Ohio, where he lost is life by accident many years ago. The sister has been many years deceased. John M. was the youngest of the family.
John M. Saemann, on attaining to man’s estate, married Elizabeth Bowman, and in about 1838 emigrated to America with his wife that their two children, Christina, and a son, John, who is now a resident of the town of Mitchell. The family went first to Warren County, Ohio, and thence to Washington County, Wis., in 1846. Three years later, in 1849, Mr. Saemann, Sr., entered considerable land in the town of Mitchell, including part of the site of the village of Batavia, on section 13, which was ever afterward his home. His death occurred on New Year’s Day, 1886, his wife surviving him some three years. Two sons were born to them in this country: William and John Michael. The former is a merchant in the city of Plymouth, Sheboygan County, and the latter is a prominent citizen and business man of Sheboygan. The only daughter married Louis Loebs, and resides in the State of Nebraska. Her husband, now deceased, was a member of the Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Infantry in the late Civil War. The son, John Saeman, who came to the United States with his parents, resides on the homestead in Mitchell Township.
John M. Saemann, Sr., was a respected citizen. He and his family were members of the Church of the Evangelical Association of North America. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin; Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago, 1894; JD, Sub by FoFG]
John M. Saemann
John M. Saemann, President of the Sheboygan city Railway Company, and also President of the Lake Shore Land Company, was born in Columbus, Ohio, May 12, 1844, and is a son of John M. and Elizabeth Saemann. His parents came to America in 1839, while young. They settled in Marion, Ohio, and in 1849 removed to Jackson, Washington County, Wis. In 1854, they came to Sheboygan County and settled at Batavia, in Scott Township, where they bought a large tract of land. Both are now deceased.
The subject of our sketch attended the public schools in his youth, and later the Northwestern University, at Plainfield, Ill. He was reared under the wholesome influences of a home on the farm, where he remained until twenty-three years old, when he engaged in merchandising at Batavia, in Sheboygan County. One year later he sold out and went to Waterloo, Iowa, near which place he purchased a farm, and for one year was again engaged in agricultural pursuits. Following this he was in the commission business at Waterloo for a time, in company with a Mr. Bates. Next he was with Thompson Bros., of that city, in a mercantile business. On closing the last-named connection, he removed to New Cassel, Fond du Lac County, Wis., and in that locality started the town of Campbellsport, on the line of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. At that place he built and opened a business house, and succeeded in building up a bright little town. For six years he was engaged in merchandising and dealing in grain at that point. From there he went to Ohio, where he spent a year, and next went on the road as a salesman for a Milwaukee wholesale house, continuing in that line for nine years. In 1880, he came to Sheboygan and established a permanent house.
In 1886, our subject organized the Sheboygan City Railway Company, secured a charter, and built the present railway system. He has been President and manager of the company from the start. The cars began running September 22, 1886, and have proved a great convenience to the citizens of Sheboygan, and especially to the mechanics, factory operators and laborers who have long distances to go between their homes and places of work. The company has eight miles of track, including the double tracks. Ten cars are in operation, and on North and South Eighth Street run at intervals of five minutes, during the summer season. They have given the people very satisfactory service, and the line is growing more and more in favor. Mr. Saemann was the promoter and is one of the principal stockholders of which includes Lake View Park. The entire property of this company embraces eight hundred lots, of which some eight acres are not platted. Lake View Park is a well-shaded, delightfully situated resort for the populace in the summer. Mr. Saemann was also the principal projector of the Sheboygan Exposition and Driving Park, where the city and county annual fairs are held.
Our subject was married in Batavia, Sheboygan County, on December 22, 1866, to Miss Sarah C. Brazleton. Mrs. Saemann was born in Milwaukee, Wis., and is a daughter of Isaac Brazelton, a well-known and highly respected early settler of Sheboygan County. Three children, two sons and a daughter, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Saemann, Franklin I., Jennie Elizabeth and William M. In politics, Mr. Saemann is a Republican. He has never been ambitious for official distinction, but served as Mayor of Sheboygan in 1890 and 1891. He and his family attend the Congregational Church.
It is to such enterprising, public-spirited men as Mr. Saemann, that the general public is indebted for much that adds to its comfort, convenience and pleasure. The important and prominent public improvements and enterprises originated and prosecuted to a successful termination by him, in spite of great discouragements and risks, will long live as conspicuous monuments to perpetuate his memory, when he shall have done with the affairs of life, with its many hopes and fears, its trials and tribulations, disappointments and successes. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin; Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago, 1894; JD, Sub by FoFG]
Noah Saemann, the oldest settler of Adell, is one of the prominent and leading citizens of that town and for almost three decades has been engaged in business as a general merchant and grain dealer, being the senior partner of the Saemann-Ziegler Company. He was the principal organizer of the State Bank of Adell and has since served as its chief executive officer. His birth occurred in the town of Scott, Sheboygan county, on the 27th of August, 1857. His father, John Saemann, was born in Württemberg, Germany, on the 11th of March 1834, his parents being John Michael and Elizabeth (Baumann) Saemann. On the 16th of March, 1840, they set sail for the United States with their two children, Christine and John, reaching New York harbor after a stormy voyage consuming forty-one days. They then traveled overland by boat and various other conveyances, making several unavoidable stops but eventually reaching Sandusky, Ohio. On the 15th of June, 1840, John Michael Saemann purchased a small farm in Pleasant township, Marion county, Ohio, but after four years’ work as a pioneer agriculturist settled at Columbus, that state. In 1848 the family removed to Cedar Lake, Washington county, Wisconsin, and in 1851 came to the town of Scott, Sheboygan county. John Saemann, the father of our subject, has since made his home near the village of Batavia. On the 18th of June, 1856, he wedded Miss Mary Rahskopf, by whom he had eight children, six of whom are still living. In 1906 the parents celebrated their golden wedding, having traveled life’s journey together for fifty years.
Noah Saemann, who was the first born in his father’s family, obtained his education in the schools of his native town. After putting aside his text-books he assisted his father in the operation of the home farm until seventeen years of age and then spent a year as a clerk in a store at Batavia. Subsequently he worked as clerk in a store at Adell until twenty-three years of age and then made his way to Lawrence, Kansas, spending nearly years traveling in Kansas and Oklahoma for the hide and wool concern. In the fall of 1882, when twenty-five years of age, he returned to Batavia and on January 1st of the follow year embarked in business at Adell as a general merchant and grain dealer. He is still conducting his interests in this connection as the senior partner of the Saemann-Ziegler Company and has won a gratifying and well merited measure of prosperity in his undertakings. In 1908 he was the principal organizer of the State Bank of Adell and has ably directed the affairs of that financial institution as president since its incorporation. He was likewise the principal organizer of the Adell Canning Company and is the president of the DePere Canning Company. Few men are more prominent or more widely known in the enterprising town of Adell than Mr. Saemann. He has been an important factor in business circles and his prosperity is well deserved, as in him are embraced the characteristics of an unbending integrity, unabating energy and industry that never flags.
On the 15th of April, 1886, Mr. Saemann was united in marriage to Miss Alma J. Keller, a daughter of Charles and Emma (Jecke) Keller, both of whom are natives of Germany. They emigrated to the United States in early life, were married in this county and settled in Sheboygan county in 1868. Charles Keller here passed away on the 24th of May, 1888, but is still survived by his widow, who makes her home at Hingham. Unto them were born six children, five of whom are yet living. The other, a son, died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Saemann have four children, as follows: Jesse Charles, born in April, 1888, who is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin and is now employed in his father’s store; Morris K., who was born in April, 1893, and is a graduate of the Waldo high school; Blanche, whose birth occurred in April, 1897, and who has completed a course in the schools of Adell; and Eugene Noah, who was born in April, 1906. When Mr. Saemann’s children first began their education the school was located nearly a mile from Adell. He was instrumental in having the same moved to town and it was also largely due to his efforts that a graded school was later established here.
Mr. Saemann has given his political allegiance to the republican party since age first conferred upon him the right of franchise. He was appointed postmaster of Adell in 1893 and altogether has been actively connected with postoffice work for thirty-five years, working in the postoffice at Batavia in early manhood. Since first establishing his home at Adell he has also served in the capacity of notary public. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church of Hingham, Wisconsin. He has ever discharged his duties with marked ability and fairness, for his is a most loyal, public-spirited citizen. As a business man he has been conspicuous among his associates, not only for his success but for his probity, fairness and honorable methods. In everything he has been eminently practical and honorable and this has been manifest not only in the business undertakings but also in his social and private life. [History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present; Volume II; Carl Zillier; S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912; JD, Sub by FoFG]