Reminiscences and Anecdotes of early Taylor County,
author: Arthur J. Latton
One of the biggest colonization projects of Taylor county, almost
rivalling that of Jos. Brucker of the early eighties, was that of
Marion Dursky, which actually settled the entire town of Roosevelt and
parts of the other neighboring towns with Polish people mostly
from Chicago, and within a generation they have made this poorest part
of Taylor county "blossom like the rose."
village of Lublin was started in 1906 with a large park as center. A
large eight room school house was built. Miss Rose Stanek was the first
teacher of the one room school. M. Zagorske started the first store. M.
Dursky, Mike Skrzypczak, MikeOrzechowsky, Walter Tyter, A.J. Ogurek,
Adaam Pacewicz and Frank Kulwiec were among early settlers, most of
them taking land near the village. Soon the Roman, the Greek and the
National Polish Catholic congregations built three fine new churches in
the new village.
These new settlers soon showed
their interest in education. Not only did they build a school much
larger than their present needs, but really larger than the district
could legally raise funds for at that time, and because of their
interest and public spirit several local citizens offered to sign their
personal notes to raise the lacking money, and they did.
One of the first teachers in the Ogurek district was Miss
Margaret Hopka, of Neshkora, Wisconsin. She understood Polish, and it
was fortunate that she did, as not one of her pupils could speak
English when she started school in September. What a change she made in
a few months! They were eager not only to learn to speak English, and,
in a little while. I was told that when the parents would, of course,
have to talk to them in their native tongue, they would often answer in
Another thing that showed their interest in
schools, a little later when we had district contests in singing to
select the winners to go to the county contest, as many as two hundred
or more would come to the Lublin contest, more than to any other in the
county. When the county contest was held at the graduation in June at
Medford, one could be sure that several hundred interested parents
would be present from Roosevelt, and that a goodly number of their
children would win places.
When these people began
to settle here about 1906, they were nearly all poor, had to go slow,
and sometimes the barn was attached to the farther end of the house.
The whole family worked, mother and children, too, but they got ahead
even on poor land. Finally, they would save enough to build a good
barn, and then after a few years a new house would take the place of
the old one.
The first postmaster of Lublin was
Stanley Lesoiski. The village was incorporated in 1915. The bank was
started in 1919, G.E. Anderson, president and Frank Kulwiec, cashier.