A civil town in Taylor County, Wisconsin at
latitude 451439N and longitude 0904334W
Nov. 17, 1896.
The unincorporated community of Hannibal is located in the
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The town has a total
area of 35.7 square miles, of
33.9 square miles is land and 1.8 square miles is water.
Most of the water area is Chequamegon Waters, also known
Miller Dam, a man-made lake in the southeast corner of the town.
The six mile square that would become Cleveland was
surveyed in 1847 by a crew working for the U.S. government. Then in
1854 another crew marked all the section corners in the township,
walking through the woods and slogging through the swamps on foot,
measuring with chain and compass.
When done, the deputy surveyor filed this general description:
The Township contains several swamps. All are
for cultivation. The Meadow and Alder bottoms are all subject to be
overflowed to a depth of 1 too 2 feet and are good for hay. The surface
is generally low and level apart is upland where the soil is 2nd rate.
This Township is heavily Timbered and is chiefly composed of Hemlock,
Y. Birch, W. Pine and Balsam. The undergrowth is generally thick and is
composed of Hemlock Hazel and Balsam. Balsam and elm line the margins
of the meadow and Alder bottoms. The River enters the Township near the
center of its East Boundary and flows in a Southerly and South-Westerly
course with a switft current and is from 1 too 3 feet deep in a low
Stage of water and is adaped to the forming of a good motive power for
mills. There is no improvements in this Township.
Cleveland was logged
starting in the late 1800s. In 1903
Stanley, Merrill and Phillips Railway built its line up the west side
of the town, generally running a little west of the present Highway 73.
That same year the Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls, and Northeastern Railway
(a.k.a. Omaha) built its line across the township, from Hannibal east
to Hughey on the Yellow River. Logs were floated down the Yellow and
loaded on railcars at Hughey to be shipped out. Hannibal grew at the
junction of the two rail lines.
In 1933 much of the
cut-over east half of Cleveland was
designated part of the Chequamegon National Forest
Bear Creek Hemlocks is a State Natural Area in the north east corner of
Cleveland on the border with the town of Jump River, which includes two
stands of old-growth hemlock.
Part of the Pershing Wildlife Area occupies a thousand acres in the
northwest part of the town. The
remainder of the town is privately owned - mostly farms, homes and wild
and 1905 Wisconsin State Census
|1942 Draft Registration
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full
rights reserved for original submitters.