Township of Hammel
 
A civil town in Taylor County, Wisconsin
at
latitude 450932N and longitude 0902914W
created
Jan. 4, 1897

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The town has a total area of 35.7 square miles, of which, 35.5 square miles is land and 0.2 square miles is water.

Geologists believe the last glacier to advance into this area stopped its advance at a line running through northern Hammel, just south of Lake Isadore, then retreated

The six mile square that would become Hammel was first surveyed in the summer of 1847 by a crew working for the U.S. government. Then in late 1857 another crew marked all the section corners in the township, walking through the woods and over frozen swamps, measuring with chain and compass. When done, the deputy surveyor filed this general description:

This Township contains several Tamarac and Cedar Swamp some of considerable extent and mostly unfit for cultivation. The surface is generally rolling and 2nd rate soil except on the Black River bottoms it is 1st rate soil. Timber is very heavy all over the township chiefly Hemlock, Birch, Pine, Maple, Tamarac and Cedar.

Black River enters the township near the south east corner, it is generaly deep and flows in a gentle current in a westerly direction to the south west corner of the township, not well adapted for good motive power or mills.

In 1933 parts of the northwest quarter of Hammel were designated part of the Chequamegon National Forest

 
1900 Federal Census 1910 Federal Census
1920 Federal Census 1930 Federal Census
1895 and 1905 Wisconsin State Census
1942 Draft Registration
 

HOME
©Genealogy Trails