A civil town in Taylor County, Wisconsin
latitude 451505N and longitude 0905136W
July 12, 1919
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The town has a total area of 35.8 square miles, of which, 35.7 square miles is land and 0.2 square miles is water.
The water consists mostly of man-made flowages in the Pershing Wildlife Area, and the Fisher River, which crosses Pershing from east to west.
The six mile square that would become Pershing was first surveyed in 1847 by a crew working for the U.S. government, then again in 1852. Then in 1855 another crew marked all the section corners in the township, walking through the woods and slogging through the swamps on foot, measuring with chain and compass. When done, the deputy surveyor filed this general description:
Pershing was logged starting in the late 1800s. Around 1903 the Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls, and Northeastern Railway (a.k.a. Omaha) built its line across the township, roughly following the current CTH M. Around 1905 theWisconsin Central Railway built the line which would become the Soo Line and on which trains run to this day. At the junction of the two lines the community of Donald rose. It declined after logging waned and the Omaha shut down in 1939.
Now much of Pershing is farmed by families: dairy, beef and crops. One third of the town is occupied by the Pershing Wildlife Area, managed by the state of Wisconsin.