A civil town in Taylor County,
latitude 451952N and longitude
Sept 3, 1875
community of Westboro is located in
From Wikipedia, the free
is the largest town in Taylor County. Instead of the typical six miles
by six, it is six by twenty miles. According to the United States
Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 125.4 square miles, of which, 124.1 square
miles is land and 1.3 square miles is water.
In 1847, surveyors
working for the U.S. government walked the six mile squares that would
become the town of Westboro. They marked off the outline of the town on
foot using compass and chain. A crew came back in 1858 to survey all
the section lines. When
done, the deputy surveyor filed a general description for each
six-mile square. Of them, the description of west-central Westboro
(T33N R1W) is clearest:
This Township contains a few Tamarac and
Swamps of Small extent, most of them unfit for cultivation. The surface
is a Rolling Soil first and Second rate. Timber chiefly Hemlock Birch, Maple,
Pine, Tamarac and Cedar. There is a large Windfall runs across the
North West corner bears in South West and North East Direction Timber
Decayed and grown to second Growth Popler.
There is several creeks in this Township among which is the Yellow
runs in a North Westerly course across the South West corner of the
Township. It is a deep and narrow Stream flows in a gentle current, not
good for forming Motive Power for Mill.
There is another Stream of considerable extent enters the Township near
the South East corner and runs in a gentle current Northwesterly. It is
a deep narrow Stream banks low and principally lined with Alder.
different surveyor in 1862 was more enthusiastic about east-central
Westboro, the six mile square where most of the population is today:
large portion of this Township is valuable for its splendid White Pine,
also for its good soil. The surface is rolling and Timber heavy.
In 1933 much of the
cut-over west half of the town of Westboro was designated part of the
Chequamegon National Forest.
Starting that year, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp at Mondeaux
developed the Mondeaux Dam Recreation Area.
Some Westboro History
earliest settlers were C.C. Palmer, Peter Campbell and Nelson Salvo who
came in 1874. The first operated a hotel several years and then built a
sawmill. John Duncan, James Richie and Wm. Taylor built the second mill
which soon came into the sole ownership of Mr. Duncan who was the first
postmaster.A. Bonneville operated the Central Hotel, and Mr. Salvo the
Star. Peter Campbell ran the Campbell House.
and Parley Campbell came in 1876. There were two stores then belonging
to C.C. Palmer and John Duncan and three saloons. Miss Gleason was the
first teacher, and Miss Hattie Hull the second. W.H. Haight operated
the Central House for a while, and then moved to Chelsea.
Emmett was one of the earliest settlers having come with his parents
when the railroad was put through in 1873. While a young boy, he had
the misfortune to lose his sight, and spent the rest of his life in
this village, the last part of which he operated a candy shop and pool
hall. It is remarkable how well he could make change, and do other
duties necessary in it's management, as well as the ease with which he
could find his way around town.
to Alf, the rails were
laid to Chelsea in the fall of 1872, and the right of way was cut to
Worcester, then called 101. There were no houses built here until the
fall of 1873. C.C. Palmer built his mill, and John Duncan followed soon
after. Nels Salvo built the first saloon, and John Emmett built the
first house here. Frank Bidwell, John Fitz, Fred Evenson, Chas. Nelson,
Gust Rindt, Frank McCumber, John Lucia, F.J. Kibbe, J. Goodrich and A
Peterson were among the first comers. The first train came through from
Stevens Point once a week with two or three cars. Frank Grad was
Duncan's engineer, and Alex Bushey, his filer. Bigger and Lundt were
The old Indian trail from Spirit to Jump River passed near here.
Dr. McClure was for years, the only physician.
other early settlers were J. Engstrom, Ed DaChaine, Wm. Wahl, A.H.
Peterson, A.J. Premeau, W.A. Schaak, J. Tripanier, James and Chas.
Ures, August Tulin, Carl Peterson, R. Rindt, D. Cummings, F.J. Husted,
J. Sandberg, S.E. Thompson, M. Heldstab, John Vassel, Mike Wahl, Jack
Douthitt, N.S. Tulin, W. Zimmerman and J. Porsorske.
Oscar Rademacher was the first lawyer, who took land four miles west,
and opened an office at the county seat at Medford.
and Mrs. W.H. Allen in 1900, taught in the school, and farmed here for
several years, and then bought a store and farm at Chelsea, and still
later purchasing a farm east of Medford where he developed a fine herd
When the Westboro Lbr. Co. built their mill here,
J.J. Lingle, C.C. Lord, J.W. Kaye, B.J. Engstrom, O.W. Hamilton and
I.P. Kiger were some of the late comers.
Mr. Frank built a saw mill that was run by a Holland type wind mill,
until it burned a few years ago.
Reminiscences and Anecdotes of early Taylor County, by: Arthur J. Latton
1947, pages 209 - 210
and 1905 Wisconsin State Census
|1942 Draft Registration