Washington County, Wisconsin
Property and Business History

William Albrecht & Co.
Town of Trenton
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 727, submitted by Mary Saggio.

WILLIAM ALBRECHT & CO., Newburg; are engaged in milling; the firm is William Albrecht, Poggenburg and Schoenleber; the mill was built in 1847 by Salsbury, and was one of the first in the country; this firm do an immense business, running day and night; they have the latest inventions in mill machinery, and give satisfaction in their work.

J. Fink & Co.
West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), pages 555-556, submitted by Mary Saggio.

J. FINK & CO., general painters and decorators; business established in 1871; employ six; men; Frederick, the elder of the two brothers composing this firm, is the son of Mathew and Elizabeth (Smith) Fink, was born at West Bend, Wis., Dec. 27, 1850; received a common school education ; served a regular apprenticeship at the tinner's trade; spent two years clerking for G. J. Wilmot; afterward, clerked for Potter & Miller, and, in 1872, he engaged with his brother in the painting business. Mr. Fink was married at West Bend Dec. 11, 1875, to Catharine Lauermann, daughter of Peter and Philopena (Hassinger) Lauermann. Mrs. Fink was born in Germantown, Wis.; they have had two children one of whom only is living—Martha F.; the other, Lizzie, died in infancy; Jacob Fink was born at West Bend May 22, 1854; received a common school education; when only 12 years of age, he began to practice painting; served three years with Mr. William Johnson; then went to Milwaukee, where he served two years at carriage painting, working afterward one year as journeyman; he next went to Fond du Lac, where he practiced the various branches of his business, working several years at house, sign and fresco painting; also worked some time in the La Belle Wagon Works, and at car painting in the shops of the Chicago & North-Western Railway; returning to West Bend in 1871, he established himself in his present business, and, in 1872, took his brother Frederick as partner. Mr. Fink was married June 8, 1876, at West Bend, to Miss Dora M. Wendelborn, daughter of Henry Wendelborn. Mrs. Fink was born near Milwaukee, Wis.; two children were born to them; the eldest, Cora, died in infancy; the younger, Minnie, is now 2 years old.


Adam Frey & Co.
Town of Hartford
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 581, submitted by Mary Saggio.

ADAM FREY & CO., dealers in general merchandise, grain and farm produce, Hartford; business established in 1871; average stock, $14,000; have an elevator capacity of 5,000 bushels of grain; handle annually about 100,000 bushels of grain; this firm has a large and well-stocked store.


B. Goetter
West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 559, submitted by Mary Saggio.

B. GOETTER, dealer in general merchandise, farm produce and farming tools, John Pick and John Goetter, managers; business established in 1873; average stock, $12,000; also proprietor of B. Goetter's Elevator, which was erected in 1874; from 150,000 to 200,000 bushels of grain handled annually.


Harms & Peters
West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 561, submitted by Mary Saggio.

HARMS & PETERS, dealers in dry goods, groceries, crockery, ready-made clothing, hats, caps, etc.; also deal largely in all kinds of country produce; business established in 1878; average stock, 85,000. This firm is now building a branch house at Merrill, above Wausau, which they expect to open in July next.


Henry C. Hauer & Co.
West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 561, submitted by Mary Saggio.

HENRY C. HAUER & CO., merchant tailors; business established in 1875; average stock, $3,600.


Huntington & Koch
Town of Barton
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 712, submitted by Mary Saggio.

HUNTINGTON & KOCH, proprietors Barton Mills. These mills were built by R. R. Price, who carried on the business till 1877, when the property was sold at Sheriff's sale, to Abbott Lawrence, and sold by him, Oct. 1, 1878, to the present owners; the mill is 65x44 feet, two and one-half stories high; has five run of stones; is possessed of the most improved machinery for making the new process of flour, and has a capacity of 100 barrels per day; the old dam was entirely destroyed by the freshet of the spring of 1881, and is being rebuilt in a very substantial manner, at a probable cost of $3,000.


Kuhapt Bros.
Town of Addison
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 734, submitted by Mary Saggio.

KUHAPT BROS., proprietors steam saw-mill, Sec. 17; P. O. Addison; they do custom-work, giving the highest satisfaction, pleasing all; credit, first-class; saw over 2,000,000 feet of lumber a year, of oak and basswood; it is the only steam-mill in all the country.


S. F. Mayer & Co.
West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 568, submitted by Mary Saggio.

S. F. MAYER & CO., proprietors West Bend Brewery. The original West Bend Brewery was built by Mr. B. Goetter in 1849, on a small scale, size of building being 24x36, two and one-half story frame; this was the second brewery in the county; Mr. Goetter carried on the business only two years, when he rented the brewery to Chris Eckstein; soon afterward, Mr. Stephen Mayer bought the brewery and took Mr. Eckstein as a partner; they carried on the business till 1854, when Mr. C. F. Mayer bought a half interest in the property and the firm of Mayer Brothers was formed; they rebuilt the brewery in 1868, very greatly increasing its size and capacity; the business was conducted by them during the remainder of their lives; Mr. Stephen Mayer's death occurred Aug. 27, 1865, and Mr. C. F. Mayer's Aug. 20, 1871; the business was conducted by the heirs until 1875, when the present company was organized; at this writing, the size of the brewery is 200x40 feet, two and a half stories high, built of brick; the machinery is run by a 24-horse-power engine, and seven men are employed; the establishment has a capacity of 3,500 barrels annually; like all other brewers, this company has a chronic habit of enlarging and improving; at this writing, a new double kiln, 30x32 feet, is being erected, new growing floors and storerooms, 52x28, are being constructed; the capital already invested in the business amounts to 840,000.


J. L. Rix & Bros.
Town of Polk
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 720, submitted by Mary Saggio.

J. L. RIX & BROS., proprietors of Cedar Creek Mill; this mill is situated on Cedar Creek, on the northwest quarter of Sec. 14, Town of Polk; it was built in 1858, by J. A. and J. L. Rix; size, 40x60 feet, three stories and basement; is run by water-power furnished by Cedar Creek, which gives a twenty-five-foot head; it is furnished with two runs of stone and necessary apparatus for first-class custom-work, and has a capacity of thirty barrels of flour per day. The present firm was organized in 1878, and consists of J. L., W. P. and B. C. Rix.


Schmidt & Clifford
Town of Hartford
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 579, submitted by Mary Saggio.

SCHMIDT & CLIFFORD, proprietors of Hartford Marble Works; business established Jan. 5, 1880; employ four men and turn out about 85,000 worth of stock annually.


Seliger & Luckow
West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 574, submitted by Mary Saggio.

SELIGER & LUCKOW, manufacturers of and dealers in domestic cigars; business established in 1875; employ four men, and manufacture 100,000 cigars annually. Among their best brands may be mentioned the "Royal Havana," Gold Bird, Clear Havana and "C. O. D."


Storck & Hartig
Town of Polk
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 722, submitted by Mary Saggio.

STORCK & HARTIG, proprietors of the Schleisingerville Brewery; the parties constituting this firm are both young men and practical brewers, who came here from Milwaukee in September, 1877, and purchased the old brewery of L. Rosenheimer, at a cost of about $5,000; they immediately built large and commodious buildings of brick, with necessary machinery, at an additional expense of $7,000, increasing the capacity of the establishment from 500 to 2,000 barrels of beer per annum. The latter figures will be about what the brewery will produce for the year 1881. A new brick dwelling has been built near the brewery, while a large brick addition to the main building of the brewery is in process of erection.


West Bend, Polk & Richfield Mutual Insurance Co.
Town of Polk
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company (1881), page 723, submitted by Mary Saggio.

WEST BEND, POLK & RICHFIELD MUTUAL INSURANCE CO., was organized Jan. 6, 1880, under the late law providing for the organization of town insurance companies Sec. 1927 to 1941 inclusive of the Revised Statutes of 1878, and is managed under its provisions. It does business only in the towns of West Bend, Polk, Richfield, Trenton and Hartford; each member binds himself, his heirs and assigns, to pay his pro rata share of any losses that may occur to the parties insured in said company subject to the rules and regulations of the company. Officers are John Kessel, President; Henry Thoma, Secretary; Board of Directors consists of John Kessel, Henry Thoma, George Loffy, Charles F. Leins and Christopher Thoma. Principal office is at the residence of the Secretary, Sec. 35, Polk; P. O. Richfield. The first year of its existence the company issued 466 policies, and for the eight months of the present year 558, which are all in force but four; the amount insured is about $1,000,000.


Washington County History


HOME
Genealogy Trails
Copyright © Genealogy Trails