Washington County, Wisconsin
History
TOWN HISTORIES OF WASHINGTON COUNTY.
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin; transcribed by Barbara Ziegenmeyer

West Bend—Village of West Bend—Hartford—Village or Harford— Polk—Schlkisingerville —Farmington—Kewaskum—Village or Kewaskum—Barton and Villages— Trenton—Jackson—Wayne—Addison—Erin—Germantown—Richfield.
 
TOWN OF POLK

The town of Polk is designated by the Government survey as Town 10, Range 19 east. It is bounded on the north by the town of West Bend, east by Jackson, south by Richfield, west by Erin. The land is broken by small drift hills throughout. The growth of timber on the highlands is of hardwood—oak, maple, hickory and beach; while the lowlands along the Cedar Creek have occasional patches of tamarack and cedar. Cedar Creek having its source in Cedar Lake, West Bend, comes into the town on Section 3, and runs southeasterly, through Sections 10, 15, 14, 13 and 24. It is a rapid stream, and affords abundant and frequent water power, having no less than five dams within a distance of as many miles. The stream, having its source in the spring fed lake, which is utilized as a reservoir, proves one of the safest and most reliable in the State, the superabundant waters of springs being held secure in the lake till required in the dry season. This power is now under the control of the Cedarburg Hydraulic Company, made up of the various mill owners in the towns along the course of the stream. The land is admirably adapted to farming and grazing, and the town ranks as one of the best among the thirteen of the county.

The first man who permanently settled in the town is stated by Timothy Hall, the first permanent settler of Hartford, to be William Williamson. Mr. Hall came in July, 1843. He says: "I found at that time William Williamson five miles from me toward Milwaukee, who was the first settler in what is now the town of Polk. In November following, came Dinsmore W. Maxon, who settled on Cedar Creek, where he still resides." Mr. Hall is essentially correct. The records from the land office show that James Williamson entered his land, forty acres, on Section 27, August 7, 1843, and the date of the first entry to Dinsmore W. Maxon was December 7, 1844, forty acres on Section 15, to which he added another forty acres on the same section, March 27, 1845.

Mr. Maxon was, at that time of his settlement, a young surveyor. He had been settled since 1843 in the town of Mequon, and had in his surveys become familiar with the whole region. He selected his land on Cedar Creek, and its excellent waterpower is now utilized by him to furnish power for the sawmill which he still owns. At the time of his settlement, Kewaskum, one of the last and noblest chiefs of the Pottawatomies, was his nearest neighbor. They got on well and remained firm friends till the old chief died. Mr. Maxon still has his home on the old place.

He was one of the first Supervisors of the town, was for many years a member of the State Senate, and is as widely known as a leading man of affairs a3 any resident of the county, with which he has been identified since its earliest days.

Among other early settlers were John Rix, who took 40 acres on Section 11, April 16, 1854; Jacob Everly, 160 acres on Section 12, September 11, 1845; Jesse Wood, 80 acres on Section 19, April 24, 1845; John Detling, 160 acres on Section 25, June 3, 1844, and 80 acres on Section 26, July 11, 1844. Martin Newcomb, Asa Smith, Silas Wheeler, Jacob Dyre, David Freer, James Rolf, Horace Haner, Philip Zepp and Barnet Clow also came in before the town was incorporated.

A large part of the available and valuable land in the town had been entered by nonresidents prior to 1846, but the actual settlers were sparse till 1847 During that and the two succeeding years, the lands went generally into the hands of actual settlers, and the town may be said to have been fairly settled in 18484950.

The largest purchaser of Government land who settled in the town was B. Schleisinger Weil. In December, 1845, he purchased in the name of Jules Schleisinger, his son, and Eliza Adelaide Weil, his wife, large tracts of land in Section 5, 477 acres; Section 6, 408 acres; Section 7, 378 acres; Section 8, 160 acres, and in Section 18, 527 acres. These immense purchases made him the proprietor of the best portion of the northwest quarter of the town. On Section 18, he platted the present village of Schleisingerville, built a large store and dwelling, still standing on the corner of Main and Franklin streets, and started a thriving center of trade, of which further accounts will be given in the sketch of the village.

The town was incorporated under the name of Polk, by act of the Legislature, January 21, 1846.
 
THE FIRST TOWN MEETING.

The first town meeting was held April 7, 1846. No record of the meeting was preserved. The proceedings are gathered from the minutes of the first meeting of the Board of Supervisors, which occurred May 5, 1846. From them it appears that the first Supervisors were D. W. Maxon, Jr., Chairman, Silas Wheeler and John Detling. The Treasurer, Jacob Everly, presented his bond which was approved. John Rix was appointed Town Clerk, in place of Charles B. Covender, Town Clerk elect, who had removed from the town. Andrew Dunn was appointed School Commissioner, to fill the vacancy occasioned by Covender's removal. John Rix was allowed $1.50 for rent of house and lights furnished the town meeting. This establishes the place of meeting at John Rix's house.   Nelson Darling was also appointed a School Commissioner. The tavern licenses granted by the Supervisors in 1846 were to the following persons: Jacob Bervind, who lived on Section 26; Peter Brenner, Section 25; Julius Schleisinger, on Cedar Lake; Nicholas Guth, Section 28; Emanuel Mann, Section 35.

The first list of voters preserved is that of the November election of 1846. At that meeting the following persons voted: Andrew W. Smith, Barnet Clow, David Jenner, Mathias Fink, Jacob Everly,Francis Everly, Frederick Everly, David Freer, Balthazer Loganheimer, Emanuel Mann, John H. Wright, Patrick McConville, Martin Newcomb, William Cook, James Rolfe, Horace Haner, Asa Smith, Silas Wheeler, John Detling, John Rix, D. W. Maxon.   Total, 21.

The changes for the past thirty years have been uneventful and mark only the improvement and advancement which have come to the honest and thrifty people who have subdued the forest and made it the happy abode of peace and plenty.

One event only turned the energy and thought of the people outside the borders of the quiet town. The war period witnessed there the uprising in defense of the nation, common alike to all the agricultural communities of the State. The town raised for war purposes $3,278. The rolls of the State at Madison contain the names of thirty six soldiers from Polk who did personal service in the Union army. They appear in the war history of the county at large elsewhere in this work.

The present town shows every evidence of the highest state of prosperity that can bless a peaceful and civilized people.

The town is divided into ten whole and joint school districts, has ten schoolhouses, costing $8,600 and employs fourteen teachers. The scholars number 680. The amount of money paid for schools in 1880 was $2,913.

Along the course of Cedar Creek are several waterpower partially improved. D. W. Maxon has a sawmill on Section 15, at which point is Cedar Creek Post Office, sometimes designated as Maxonville. A mile further down is the sawmill and gristmill owned by John Rix & Co. Further down is another dam on which August Patzer built a woolen factory in 1866. He and his son ran it for some years, when he became embarrassed and sold out to Hilgen & Wittenberg, of Cedarburg, who, in connection with Mr. Towle, and subsequently alone, carried on the business till 1880, when the machinery was taken out and removed to Grafton. The buildings only remain, and the power is idle. Still further down, in Section 13, is another gristmill, built in 1853, by Andrew Reiter, now owned by Henry Pfennig. Three fourths of a mile down is still another gristmill, built early in the fifties by a Mr. Nauth. It was burned in the spring of 1862, and rebuilt by Ehlers & Eggert. It has two runs of stones for flour, and a feed mill, and is now owned by Fred Rothenmeir.
 
HATFIELD.

Between the two last named gristmills stands the quaint and sleepy looking little hamlet of Mayfield. This village has now a post office, a store, a blacksmith's shop, a hotel and a gristmill. The store is kept by George F. Fleischman, one of the platters of the village, who does a fair local business with the farmers of the vicinity. The following early history of the village is substantially as given by him. George F. Fleischman came to the site of the village, on the southwest quarter of Section 13, in 1851. It was then owned by Andrew Reiderer, who had a sawmill on the creek near by. In the spring of 1852, he, with the assistance of Fleischman, platted the village, laid out and named the streets, and named the village Mayfield, in remembrance of his native town in Switzerland—Maienfelden, which signifies Mayfield in the Swiss tongue. It had a struggle to perpetuate its name. Joseph Katz came in and opened a store in company with Jacob Pfeil. and many of the townsmen persisted in calling the place Katzbach (Katz's Creek), much to the grief of the gentle minded Swiss founder of the village. The post office is named Mayfield, but many of the farmers go to Katzbach to trade to this day. The store of Katz & Pfeil, with the mill, a shoemaker named John Metz, and a blacksmith whose name h not remembered, made the nucleus for quite a thriving hamlet for some years. The store is now occupied by John Koch as a tavern.    The first post office was established in 1859. The first Postmaster was John Toedly. The mail was brought from Cedar Creek weekly. It now arrives daily from Riceville station, the nearest point of railroad connection, one mile east, in the town of Jackson. Since the completion of the North Western Railroad through Jackson, the trade has gone largely to Riceville and the little village has fallen into the sear and yellow leaf. Washington street, River street and Main street are by no means crowded, and only bring up suggestions of departed greatness.
 
SCHLEISINGERVILLE VILLAGE.

In an early part of this sketch mention was made of the founding of the village of Schleisingerville by B. Schleisinger Weil, in 1845-46. Through the energy of Mr. Weil, the village soon became the center of trade for a large number of adjoining towns. Weil himself kept a full assortment of goods adapted to the wants of the country trade, and established a market for everything offered for sale. Other branches of trade and manufacture were started. There were shoemakers, blacksmiths, a wagon maker, a hotel, a tannery. The tannery was built by George Ippel and Thomas Jenner, who did a fair business and established a good local hide market. It has not been run for the past fifteen years. The old buildings and unused vats are still standing. Later, Weil built a distillery, which was run by him and his associates in business till he left the place about 1869. Since then it has been put by its present owners to other uses. Through the exertions and influence of Mr. Weil, the route of the old La Crosse Railroad, now a section of the Milwaukee & St. Paul, was located so as to pass through his village, and the occasion of its completion to' that place was celebrated with great rejoicings August 237 1855. A large party of excursionists came out from Milwaukee ; among those present were: Stoddard Judd, President of the road; Judge Larabee; James B. Cross, Mayor of Milwaukee; Maurice Schoeffler and Harrison Ludington.    The party, on the approach of the train, was saluted by salvos of artillery, and most royally entertained during the day by Mr. Weil, who fed and feasted the whole party in the upper rooms of the hotel. Such a season of eating, drinking and toasting has seldom been indulged in at the expense of one individual. The party tarried over late and were left by the return train, only to renew the blowout till late in the evening, when another engine arrived and, doubtless to the relief of Mr. Weil, transported his overflowing and boisterous guests to Milwaukee. Mr. Weil remained in the village he had built till 185y60, at which time he removed to Cedar Lake, then to West Bend. He now resides in Milwaukee.

Soon after the completion of the railroad to Schleisingerville, another man of rare business tact and energy came to the village and commenced business—Lehman Rosenheimer. He came from Addison, where he had been living for several years, in 1856, opened a store and, in connection with it, carried on a large trade in cattle, grain and other farm products. He rapidly enlarged the business of the already thriving village. The trade of nearly all the adjoining and neighboring towns centered at his store. He had six sons, five of whom became merchants under his tuition and are still doing business in the county—John, Max and Joseph, at Schleisingerville, and Moritz and Adolph at Kewaskum, and Norway, Michigan. The business has all grown out of the house established by Lehman Rosenheimer, at Schleisingerville so many years ago, is carried on at the different points jointly by the five brothers

Rosenheimer built a larger store, to accommodate his constantly increasing business, on the site still occupied by his sons. It was two stories in height and 38x50 feet in size. It was doubled in size in 1867. The business continued with uninterrupted success till the death of Mr. Rosenheimer, which occurred September 21, 1878. A more complete biographical sketch of him appears elsewhere in this volume.

The business still continues under the charge of Rosenheimer's sons, and has increased from year to year. In addition to the large store, they have a grain elevator, through which they ship 250,000 bushels of grain annually, and large warehouses for the storage of agricultural implements and goods. They have also a large stone stable, 45x110 feet, for the convenience of their country customers who come from long distances to find a market at their place.

The trade of the village has by no means been confined to the house of Rosenheimer. John Pick, Sr., formerly did a large mercantile and grain business. He died in 1874. His two sons continued the business two years after their father's death, at the expiration of which time they removed to West Bend.

At present there are two general stores in the village—one kept by the Rosenheimer Bros., the other by J. G. Keidel & Co. Both firms have elevators, and their aggregate shipments of grain for 1880 amounted to 300,000 bushels. There are besides, two taverns, two schoolhouses, and three churches. The ordinary vocations of a well appointed country village, such as shoe making, blacksmithing, carriage making, etc., are all fully represented.

The Catholic Church was built in 1862.   It has a school connected with it.

The first Lutheran Church was built about the year 1863. Is was burned and rebuilt in 1866.   The society is now made up of Lutherans and Evangelical Methodists. The Lutherans built another church alone in 1872.

Formerly, a fine steam flouring mill was built at Schleisingerville, and run by Kahn Brothers. It was burned May 1, 1861. Its destruction was a severe loss to the place, as well as the proprietors.   It cost $45,000, on which there was the slight insurance of $8,000.

The village was incorporated in 1869. The first village meeting was held April 6, 1869. The first officers elected were: Moderator, John Klingler; Inspectors of Election, Herman Perlewitz, John Brosius; Clerks, Jacob Oehrling and R. Toll.

The first town board was as follows: President, John Pick: Trustees, L. Rosenheimer, John Theil, I. G. Meyer, John Ehbit; Clerk, Jacob Oehrling; Treasurer, William H. Hasketh ; Assessor, John Brosius; Justice of the Peace, John C. Toll : Marshal, Nic Theisen. At this meeting there was raised, for contingent expenses, $40 ; schools, $50 ; poor fund, $10. The present year, 1881, there was raised $350 for schools, and $250 for other village expenses.

The present village officers are: Trustees, John Rosenheimer (President), ii. Monger, Jac Mergenthaler, Chris Rosche, Ed Herman; Assessor, Jac Schantz; Treasurer, Augus Zilsdorf; Clerk, Jac Schantz (elected to serve of the unexpired term of Clerk elect, C. Pfeifer, removed from the village); Marshal, Nic Theisen.

The secret and charhable societies are represented by the Turners and Odd Fellows.

The Schleisingerville Turnverein was organized October 5, 1877. Its first officers were: First Speaker, Charles Pfeifer ; Second Speaker, David Rosenheimer ; First Turnwart, Fred. Roeber; Second Turnwart, Adam Grohs; Secretary, Adam Stark; Treasurer, John Rosenheimer ; First Steward, Charles Roth ; Second Steward, Nic Miller ; Cashier, John Leins.

The present officers are: First Speaker, Joseph Rosenheimer; Second Speaker, Jacob Schantz; First Turnwart, Myer Rosenheimer; Treasurer, John Rosenheimer; Secretary, William Cruse; First Steward, Jacob Springer ; Cashier, Peter Wild.

The society is in good financial condition. It rents the Odd Fellows hall, and holds its meetings on the second Tuesday of each month.   The present membership numbers twenty.

The Good Samaritan Lodge, No. I. 0. 0. F., was organized in 1868.   It owns a commodious hall, built in 1877.

The town of Polk contained in 1880, according to the census of that year, 2,060 inhabitants.

It raised, from 7,882 acres of cultivated land, 45,000 bushels of wheat, 31.000 of corn, 46,000 of oats, 18,000 of barley, 7,500 of rye and 16,000 of potatoes. It had 3,911 acres of growing timber, 238 acres of apple orchards with 7,240 trees bearing fruit, and 781 milch cows; 35,000 pounds of butter were made.

The following is the list of town officers for 1881: Supervisors, John Koch (Chairman), John Lau, John Keller; Town Clerk, C. F. Leins ; Assessor, Lorenz Girth, Jr.; Treasurer, Peter Weber.

There were four post offices in the town in 1881—Ackerville, on Section 28 ; Cedar Creek, on Section 10 ; Mayfield, on Section 13, and Schleisingerville.
 
TOWN OF FARMINGTON.

This town originally formed a part of the large territory included in the present towns of West Bend, Barton, Trenton, Kewaskum and Farmington, then known as the town of West Bend. On the 11th day of February, 1847, that portion of the town situated in Town 12 north, of Range 20 east, was, by act of Legislature, set off and constituted a new town under the name of Clarence (in honor of Clarence, son of Jonathan Danforth), and a year later, on the 11th of March, 1848, this name was changed to Farmington.

Farmington, situated in the northern tier of towns in the county, has for its boundaries the town of Scott, Sheboygan County, on the north; Fredonia on the east, Trenton on the south, and Kewaskum and Barton on the west. It is one of the finest farming towns in the county its fertile fields, abundant harvests, and substantial stone farmhouses and barns, bearing conclusive evidence to the thrift and industry of the tillers of the soil. With the numerous manufactories immediately connected with the dairy interests of the town, and the various industries that are rapidly springing up and flourishing, a prosperous future seems assured. The surface of the country is gently undulating—just enough timber being left to supply the needs of the inhabitants and add to the beauty of the scenery. It is watered by the northern branch of the Milwaukee River, and a few small tributaries, by Schwin Lake in the south, Lake 12 in the north, and a smaller lake or pond on the property of C. W. Detmering.

It contains two villages, Boltonville and Fillmore, Boltonville being situated in the northern part of the town, and Fillmore in the eastern, near the center from north to south.

The earliest settlers in the town who entered land, were Amasa P. Curtis, who entered eighty acres on Section 31, October 14,1845; Elijah Westover, 160 acres on the same section, the same day, and William Smith, who entered 160 acres on Section 30, November 22, 1845. These three are all the entries that are recorded for the year 1845. Valuable land had been secured by speculators at a much earlier date than this, and some of the actual settlers may have procured their land from them. Jonathan F. and Sylvester Danforth took up their land in May. 1846; Morgan Wescott in June, 1846; the Manleys in August, 1846; Peter Schwin, September. 1846; Charles P. Prichard, November, 1846. Besides these, there must be mentioned among the "Fathers of the town "—those who lived and reared their families in Farmington, and by their enterprise and industry gave it an impetus in the right direction—William Stewart, the Riley brothers, Matthew, William, Thomas and Edward, Thomas Bailey, J. La Craft, Samuel Wescott, Harlow Bolton, Asa Ramsey, C. W. Detmering and Jacob Myers. To these men and their descendants, the town is indebted for a large share of its business prosperity.
 
A LOOK BACK INTO CLARENCE.

About two months after the new town was christened, April 6, 1847, the citizens held their first town meeting at the house of Thomas Bailey. The following officers were elected: Supervisors, George Manley, Chairman, Jeremiah Ferguson, James Harris; Assessors, Stephen Wescott, Franklin Farrar, Jacob Meyers; Town Clerk, Benjamin F. Buck; School Commissioners, James B. Williams, James Harris, Patrick Laughlin; Highway Commissioners, A. P. Curtis, William Ranger, John McClean; Collector, Morgan Wescott; Justices of Peace, Thomas Amy, 0. D. Norton, Conrad Haggy; Constables, George Porter, George Ramsey, John La Craft; Fence Viewers, Phil Cobbler, Sidney Smith, John Sacket; Treasurer, Samuel Wescott; Sealer of Weights and Measures, John Scott.

Fifteen dollars were voted for the support of common schools.

The following town committee of five were elected: Jonathan F. Danforth, Benjamin F. Buck, 0. D. Norton, S. B. Smith, John Sackett.

The Town Clerk qualified by being sworn by Ira Spencer, Notary Public,

CLARENCE POLL LIST OF APRIL 6, 1847.

Victor Charroun, George W. Green, John Sackett, George Manley, Jacob Meyers, John Scott, William Ranger, 0. D. Norton, George Porter, Jeremiah Ferguson, Morgan Wescott, Benjamin F. Buck, James B. Williams, James Harris, Patrick Laughlin, Nathaniel Pardridge, George Ramsey, Jonathan F. Danforth, Thomas Amy, Joseph Lampert, Conrad Haggy, John La Craft, Phillip Cobbler, Samuel Wescott, John McClean, Thomas Bailey, Franklin Farrar, Sylvester Danforth, Francis Guilford, William Riley, Sidney B. Smith.   Total, 31.

At a meeting of the Board of Supervisors, held at the Town Clerk's office April 20, 1847, the first bill was allowed, after a resolution to purchase books and stationery had been adopted. The bill amounted to $15.37, and was to be paid by the October next following the meeting, and, in case of default, interest at 12 per cent was to be allowed, instead of 8.

The town was divided into ten road districts; No. 1 is described as follows: "Road District No. 1 shall include the whole of Section 1, east half of Section 2, east half of Section 11, northeast quarter Section 14, north half of Section 13, and the whole of Section 12 in conclusion."

An Overseer of Highways in Districts Nos. 1 arid 8 was appointed: Cornelius. The first highway was laid out as follows: "A road three rods wide, to run from the northwest corner of Sections 21 and 26, Town 12, Range 20, thence south on the section line between Sections 26 and 27, 34 and 35 on the town line."   Recorded July 3, 1847.

The Board of Supervisors held a meeting August 21, 1847, and it was

Resolved, That $300 be raised to defray town expenses.

October 2, 1847, a special meeting of electors was held.

Resolved, to pay $2.85 for expense of house that year; also, that $200 should be raised fur the purpose of building a bridge across the Milwaukee River.

November 2, 1847, another special meeting was held to undo the work of the former special; the following resolution was adopted:

Resolved, That, as a town recently settled, and very recently organized, and suffering all the inconveniences consequent to a new town and a new country, and, whereas, most of the taxable inhabitants have little or no means beyond what is actually necessary for their support, the present year, we, therefore, by this resolve, make null and void any previous vote for raising a tax for building in this town (he present year, and hereby form this resolution; that no tax shall be laid in the town this present year for any such purpose; also, resolved, that the sum of $300 should be raised for defraying the expenses of the town the present year.

Thirty three votes were cast.

During the year that the town retained the name of Clarence, the people were not idle; although most of them had "little or no means, beyond what was actually necessary to their support," their first school was started and kept open summer and winter. The schoolhouse was of logs, situated near the east quarter post of Section 19. It was built in the fall of 1847. Mrs. Asa Varney taught the first winter, Miss Ann Smith the next summer, succeeded the following winter by W. R. Wescott, then a youth of eighteen years, who continued to 11 teach the young idea" in Farmington for nine successive winters. The school was known in the old days as the '"Washington Union School," now as the "Ramsey District No. 9." Old settlers disagree, some claiming that the first school was taught by one of the Danforth family.

Sylvester Danforth threw open the door of his log house for religious services in the fall of 1847. This first service was conducted by Rev. Mr. Halstead, Methodist. This denomination also organized a church at about this time—the first church in the town.

Of the very early settlers, there are now living William Stewart, Patrick Laughlin, Thomas Riley, William Riley, Edward Riley, Willet R. Wescott, Philip McKee, J. Kenney, Philip Schneider, D. D. Smith, Asa Varney, Peter Schwin and Harlow Ballou.

The Catholics built the first church edifice in the town—St. Peter's—on Section 34. The first sawmill was built by Delos Wescott, on Stony Creek, near the center of Section 8. It is now destroyed.

Dr. Sylvester Danforth was the earliest physician of Farmington, he being in the county early in 1846.

Ann Riley, daughter of Matthew R. Riley, born September 13,1845, is said to be the first white child born in the town.

The first couple married in this town were Joseph Horten and Miss Ann Smith, daughter of D. D. Smith, in the winter of 184849. At the same house, on the same evening, Robert McKelvey was married to Ann Recton.   A. D. Norton, Justice, officiated in both cases.

The first post office was kept by Jonathan Danforth at his house, on the southeast corner of Section 17.   It was established in 1848, and called M Clarence Post Office."

Mr. Riley built the first frame house in town, and Jonathan Danforth the first block house ; D. D. Smith the first brick house and first frame barn.

Among the old pioneers who came to Clarence in 1847 was a Mr. Bloom, an American. His sole "stock in trade" was his hands, his son, an ax, and an auger. He didn't bury his talents in any napkin—everything he owned was put to account. With his ax he felled the trees from ten acres in a year, and in return received forty acres of standing timber. His son cleared ten acres for a pair of oxen. The next year they cleared thirty acres of their own, and in the fall of 1848, had about 300 bushels of wheat.   They sold out the following year for 31,100.

When the toil and danger attending the settlement of a new country is over, and the people are easily and safely gathering in the harvest of plenty which succeeds, they can hardly realize that an unbroken forest means anything more than a delightful resort for a day's picnic, with all the modern accessories of luxury and convenience, and are very apt to regard as somewhat mythical the stories that the " old folks" tell of early times and struggles. The following relation somewhat illustrates what a Wisconsin forest really was when the first sturdy pioneers dared to make it their home.

In the spring of 1847, there lived a German with his family—a wife and infant child—in the northern part of the town of Fredonia, on Section 3. The little clearing had been made by their own hands, and their united labor was all they had to depend upon to make for themselves a comfortable home in the wilderness. One morning the father and mother went into the forest to chop logs, leaving the baby asleep at home. After working awhile, the sound of the bell worn by one of the oxen attracted their attention, and the husband proposed that his wife should go and bring them, that they might be in readiness for hauling the logs. She accordingly set out, guided by the sound of the bell. The father worked on and on. The sturdy blows of bis ax resounded through the forest until the time for his wife to return came and passed, and no wife appeared. When he went to his cabin she was not there, only the sobbing baby. The nearest neighbor was a long way off, and he had no idea in which direction to search for his wife. When the mother started for the cattle she followed the faint sound of the bell for some distance, and then becoming bewildered, wandered farther and farther from her path, until night overtook her helplessly groping about, lost in the forest. That night was a long one—alone, hardly knowing which seemed the louder, the cries of the wild beasts close to her ear, or the imagined cries of the little one so far from her arms. The next morning she came to the clearing of a young man named Mansfield, on Section 7, in the town of Fredonia. She could speak but a few words of English, and he could understand no German. With some difficulty she made him understand the name of her nearest neighbor, and also that her home was by a lake. Mr. Mansfield concluded the best thing to be done under the circumstances was to guide her to the nearest lake ho knew, which was in the adjoining town of Scott, on the north, and probably the location of her home. Taking food, they set out on their search and reached the lake—wearily examined its entire circumference, but found no sign of the clearing, nor even of any living being.   Returning, they met a settler who mentioned Schwin's Lake, in the southern part of Farmington, and Mr. Mansfield turned his steps in that direction with poor Fraulein humbly following. Night came upon them still in the forest. With daylight, they again plodded on, and another weary day, and still another night passed, with no clew to the longed for home. On the third morning, the foot sore, weary and almost furnished pair arrived at Schwin's Lake, and were again disappointed. It was not the place. They turned again northward, and, after traveling several miles, came to the clearing of Mr. Beger, who could understand the poor woman's story, and who fortunately knew the neighbor (Dan Miller) whose name was the clew to her home. Before they reached that home, however, they heard the woods resounding with the shouts of men who, with her husband, were in search of the wanderer. The baby, like a brave little pioneer, as it was, lived and throve, and was ready to greet the poor, tired mother with a smile on her return.
 
TOWN MEETINGS IN FARMINGTON.

Farmington received its new name on the 11th of March, 1848, and its first town meeting was held April 5, at the house of Stephen Wescott. The first town officers were: Supervisors, George Ramsey (Chairman). Franklin Farrar. Fred Stipp ; Clerk, J. F. Danforth.

July 18, 1848, a meeting of the Commissioners of Highways of the town of Farmington was held, but the first regular annual town meeting was held April 3, 1849, at which time ninety two votes were cast. The following were the officers elected: Supervisors, George Ramsey (Chairman), Harlow Bolton, Franklin Farrar; Clerk, Patrick Laughlin; Superintendent of Schools, John La Craft; Treasurer, John La Craft: Assessor, S. Danforth; Justices, James B. Williams, Stephen Wescott, John La Craft and Charles W. Detmering.

There is no mention of a town meeting being held at any place, save the house of Stephen Wescott, until the spring meeting of 1850, which was at the schoolhouse, District No. 10.

About this time the town commenced to grow rapidly; farms were cleared and schoolhouses built.
 
VILLAGE OF BOLTONVILLE.

In the year 18545 the village of Boltonville, so named in honor of Harlow Bolton, was started. This village is situated on Stony Creek, Sections 3, 9 and 10, town of Farmington, and is about eight miles from Random Lake Railroad Station (Wisconsin Central), and the same distance from Barton, on the Chicago & North Western Railroad.

The foundation of the village was laid by Horace Smith, when he built his store on Section 9. The waterpower was soon improved and utilized by the erection of a sawmill by E. A. Duncan on a small stream tributary to Stony Creek. This mill has since been improved by Duncan, Wendel & Co., and is still in operation. At a little later date a gristmill was built on Stony Creek, the germ of the present mill owned by Bolton & Schuler. The mill has passed through various business changes, but some member of the Bolton family has always been a partner since the firm first founded the business as Bolton, Willis & Varney (Harlow Bolton, W. H. Willis and Asa Varney). The firm was in turn, Bolton & Smith, 1860; Bolton & Marcellus, 1866, when the mill was rebuilt and enlarged ; and Bolton & Schuler, from 1868 to the present time. The mill has three run of stone, the most improved machinery and a capacity of twenty five barrels per day. The Bolton Store was built in 1858, and now carries a stock of about $6\000.

The village has also two hotels, two wagon shops, two blacksmith shops, two shoe shops, one harness shop, a hardware store, a store for general merchandise, a barbershop, a cheese factory, post office, one church and a graded school.

The first dwelling in Boltonville was built by William H. Willis.
 
FILLMORE.

This village contains two churches, two stores, a hotel, two blacksmith shops, a wagon shop, a town hall, a graded school, several societies and two cheese factories.

The largest establishment is that of Brantz & Co., dealers in general merchandise and proprietors of a cheese factory, hotel, saloon and bowling alley.

The manufacture of cheese in Farmington is becoming one of the most important and lucrative industries of the town, and Brantz & Co. are carrying on the business on a large scale.

The factory was established .in 1877, and they manufacture about forty thousand pounds of cheese annually. The firm is composed of Henry Brantz and Frank E. Blecha. The store is doing a thriving business, and is deservedly popular. The Fillmore Post Office and also the Town Clerk's office are kept in their establishment.

There are now in the town of Farmington six or more cheese factories. The first was established in 1871, by Daniel Trenara, on Section 17.   It is still in operation.

Second, was the establishment of Brantz & Co., in 1877.

Third, by Herman Gruhle, on Section 23; capacity, 60,000 pounds.

Fourth, by Bolton & Schuler, in the village of Boltonville, in the spring of 1881; capacity, 60,000 pounds.

Fifth, by Woog & Co., same spring, on Section 1; capacity, 40,000 pounds.

Sixth, by William M. Horner, May, 1881, on Section 35 ; capacity, 45,000 pounds.

The factory of Bolton & Schuler is 22x36 feet, two stories high, and the firm intend to nearly double the capacity of the building.   They now manufacture 60,000 pounds per year.

There are two brickyards and one brewery in the town.

There are, at present, three post offices in the town of Farmington—Boltonville Post Office, George Bolton, Postmaster; Fillmore Post Office, Frank E. Blecha, Postmaster; St. Michael Post Office, established in 1877, at the store of Mathias Herriges, on the southwest corner of Section 7, M. Herriges, Postmaster.

The town has twelve school districts, or parts of districts, with eight schoolhouses, costing in the aggregate $7,000. There are 691 scholars and 15 teachers ; $2,225 was expended in 1880 for school purposes.
 
CHURCHES.

German Methodist Church was organized in 1859. Its first meetings were held in the Fillmore Schoolhouse. Rev. Jacob Schaefer being the first minister. George Leigel, Gottleib Hendel, C. Feckler, Gottleib Gerhardt, Michael Loebe, William Donath and Michael Broidekamp were the first members. A church structure was erected in 1863. About nine families are now connected with the society.   The present Pastor is Rev. William Myer.

St. Peters Catholic Church, on Section 34, is a nice stone church, built in 1861 at a cost of $1,600. The society was organized in 1846 with a membership of forty two. This was the first Catholic organization in town. Father Mayer and Father Obermitter were resident priests. There are now thirty four families connected with the church, Father Peter Stupfel being the priest at the present time.

St. Johns {Catholic), Section 9. This church was built in 1860. It is of brick, 31x49 feet in size, and cost $2,000. The Building Committee was Thomas Riley, Thomas Goodman and Thomas Calleghan. The society was organized in 1859 by Rev. Patrick Bradley. The present priest is Rev. Charles Grobscmidt, who has thirty seven families under his pastoral care. The following are the early members and founders of St. John's Church: Thomas Riley, Mathew Riley, Edward Riley, Patrick Riley, Peter Clark, Patrick Laughlin, Michael Mahon, James Kenny, Thomas Dowling, Philip McKee, Conrad Heggy, Jeremiah Maloney, Cornelius Enright, Daniel Enright, John Mulvany, Daniel Murphy, John Murphy, Thomas Mallon, James Strong, Joseph Lambrecht, Michael Kanaley, Robert Rice, R. A, Long.

St. Martins (German Lutheran) Evangelical Association of North America. The society was organized in I860, The church edifice was erected two years later. It is of stone, a neat structure, containing a good organ.   There are ninety five members connected with the church. Rev.Vorberg was the first Pastor, and Rev. Julius Frank is the present.   The officers are: Trustees, Carl Shroeder, William Busch; Treasurer, Carl Koenig; Clerk, Carl Wittig; Organist, Miss Emma Klessig. The Sunday school has 100 scholars, and the following officers : Superintendent, Carl Wittig ; Assistant Superintendent, Julius Koenig ; Secretary, Adolph Goldammer; Bible teacher, Traugott Knoll; Organist, Emma Klessig.

The Free Will Baptist Church at Boltonville. The society was organized and the church edifice erected in 1871.   The church building is of brick, 34x50 feet in dimension.   There are twenty regular church members, but people from outside the denomination contributed toward the erection of the church.   Rev. Mr. Webster is the present Pastor.

Union Sabbath School 'at Boltonville) was organized June, 1881, with Mrs. J. Burgess, Superintendent.   The school has an average attendance of seventy five.
 
SOCIETIES.

Sons of Hermann was established May 8, 1877. It is designated as Fillmore Lodge, No 33. The first officers were: President, F. Beger; Secretary, Carl Wittig; Vice President, H. Witt; Treasurer. H. Grahle. The first members were Herman Gruhle, Jacob Staatx, Henry Wadewitz, Herman Friebel, Herman Butter, Max Gruhle, Henry Ricke. The present membership (1881) numbers thirty four. The present officers are: President, Carl Wittig; Vice President, John Klein ; Secretary, John Klessig ; Treasurer, Michael Grcschel. Meetings are held in the Turn halle every Tuesday evening.

Farmington Humanitarts Verein was organized November 8, 1857, by Mr. A. W. Derouth, of Milwaukee, for social, literary and benevolent purposes. Mr. Demuth was the first President of the society ; Fred Huebner was Secretary, and William Klootsch, Treasurer. The society has a library of between 300 and 400 German books, and one of the rules of the society forbids books in any other language being added to it. It was incorporated by act of the Legislature March 20, 1865.

I. O. 0. F., Kishkaupee Lodge, No. 96.—This lodge was organized at Barton in 1859, and removed to Boltonville in 1870, the latter being the more convenient locality for the majority of the members. The first officers of the lodge are given in the sketch of Barton. The first officers elected after the removal to Boltonville were : N. G., James Washburn ; V. G., Edward Gilford; R. S, W. R. Wescott; P. S., F. O. Schuler; Treasurer, George Bolton. The membership numbered twenty seven.   The meetings were held in 11. Bolton's Hall.

The Bible Society was organized in 1851, with William Stewart as President, and Willet Wescott, Secretary.   It has held no meetings since 1877.

Farmington Cemetery Association was organized about 1854.

The Farmington Turnverein was organized May 13, 1862. It was in operation a short time, and suspended until July 9, 1806. Its first offices were: First T. W., II. F. Beger; Second T. W. Ernst Ilarz; Speaker, Nicholas Young; Second Speaker, Adam Pritschet; First Secretary, Fred Wallher; Second Secretary, Carl Morgenroth; Janitor, Jonathan Moehrl; Treasurer, Fred Ilucbner. The society reorganized July 29, 1866, seven of the old members being present. Their names as as follows : Nicholas Young. II. F. Beger, Adam Pritschet, Gustav Chugeld, Fred Tippman, Otto Walter, Fred Weinrcich. Twelve new members were admitted, and new officers chosen. The hall was built in 1867. Size, 40x60 feet. In 1877, an addition of 40x32 feet was made. The present membership numbers twenty six, with the following officers: First Sneaker, Carl Wittig ; First T. W., William Ilentle ; First Secretary, H. F. Beger; Second Secretary, Max Grulilftj Treasurer, John Klessig; II. W., F. Weinrcich ; Librarian, E. Rudolph ; Z. W., Henry Ricke.   The hall and appurtenances are valued at $3,500.

The population of the town, according to the census of 1880 was 1,670. The official returns for the past two years are not on file at the office of the County Clerk. During that time, tho manufacture of cheese has become a leading branch of industry and income in the town. Tho farm products vary but little from those list reported in 1878, which were as follows: Wheat, 55,000 bushels ; corn, 39,000; oats, 51.000: barley. 20,000; rye, 87,000; potatoes, 15.000; butter, 54,000 pounds; cheese, 10,000. The latter for the year 1881 will reach 250:000 pounds.

The town officers, for 1881, were; Supervisors, P. C. Schuler, Chairman, Charles Board, John Geidel; Town Clerk, Curl Wittig ; Treasurer, Paulus Beul; Assessor, Ernst Goldaramer. The post offices in the town, in 1881, were Boltonville, Fillmore and St. Michael's.
 
TOWN OF KEWASKUM.

The town of Kewaskum is in the northern tier of towns in the county, and lies between Wayne on the west and Farmington on the east. The four northern tiers of sections in Town 12, Range 19, constitute the present limits of the town. In January. 1846, it became, by act of the Legislature, a part of the town of West Bend, which then embraced four townships. In 1847, Town 12 was set off and became a separate corporation under the name of North Bend. A still further subdivision was made in 1849, by which the town was reduced to its present limits and named Kewaskum, in memory of the old Indian chief of that name, who had recently died.

The town is watered by the Milwaukee River and a few tributary streams. The river runs in a general southerly direction through the town, dividing the village into two unequal parts, the eastern being the larger. The general characteristics of tho soil, aspect of the country, etc., are similar to the southern sister towns, except that Kewaskum has a dearth of lakes. Otherwise the same beautiful farms, gently sloping hills and occasional hamlets are to be met with.
 
NORTH BEND MEETINGS.

The first annual town meeting was held at the house of William P Barnes, April 6, 1847. The following is a copy of the minutes :

"At the annual town meeting, held at the house of William P. Barnes, in the town of North Bend, Washington Co., T. W., April 6, 1847, the friends who were there organized by calling Harry N. Strong to the chair, and appointing Joshua Bradley, Clerk. The meeting being called to order, the following motions were made and carried in the affirmative :

" First. That the next annual town meeting is to be held at the house of Ferdinand Dagling, on Section Number 21.

"Second. That town officers receive for their services $1 per day where the price is not fixed by law.

" Third. That the town raise one eighth of one per cent for the benefit of schools in the town.

" Fourth. That we, or the town, raise one eighth of one per cent to be applied to roads in the town.

"Fifth. That Samuel Lodd serve as Overseer of Highways in the town of North Bend till others are appointed.

"Sixth.   That we raise $75 to pay officers and to bear the necessary expenses of the town.

" Seventh.   That the Supervisors accept no account unless it is itemized, dated and sworn to.

"April 9. 1847. John S. Van Eps, Town Clerk"

The following is the poll list of town meeting in North Bend, April 6, 1847 : Charles Higgins. Joseph H. Austin. William P. Barnes, Samuel Ladd. James Frazer, Samuel Albright, H. Bradley, C. Hanni, J. Douglas, J. R. Avery, N. Harris, M. Tulcn, J. Van Vechten, T. Thill, M. Rodenkirch, J. Albright, J. Wright, H. N. Strong, Joshua M. Bradley, F. Daglin. L. Spear, D. Rennington, B. C. Thompson, J. S. Van Eps, William Pouglass, Thomas Bliss— Total 26.

The first election held in North Bend for the election of Territorial and county officers, to wit: one Delegate to Congress, one member of the House of Representatives, one Register, Clerk and Surveyor—was held September 6,1847, at the house of William P. Barnes ; Inspectors, Harvey N. Strong, Jacob T. Van Vechten and Samuel Ladd; Clerk, John S. Van Eps. November 29,1847, another election was held at the same place to elect Delegates to the State Convention at Madison to form a State Constitution. Those receiving the most votes were William H. Lord, Patrick Pentong, Lewis E. Pick.
 
FIRST TOWN MEETING OF KEWASKUM.

The first election of the town of Kewaskum was held at the house of Nathan Wheeler, near the village, April 2, 1850; Inspectors of Election were J. T. Van Vechten, F. Dagling and T. P. Bliss; Clerk, Ansel Moody. The officers elected were: Supervisors, J. T. Van Vechten, Chairman, B. Spinharney, H. Roderkirch: Town Clerk, Ansel Moody; Treasurer, D. C. Bowen; Superintendent of Schools, Ansel Moody; Assessors. M. Rodenkirch, D. C. Bowen; Justices, D. C. Bowen, P. Rottermand; Constables, J. P. Harris, II. Backhaus, L. Clark; Sealer of Weights and Measures, J. Williams.

This election proved illegal, as it was held outside the limit* of the new town of Kewaskum, and Chairman Van Vechten was denied his seat in the County Board. The blunder was remedied by a special election held within the town limits.

William P. Barnes and wife were the first settlers in North Bend, Mr. B. living on Section 35 as early as 1844.

The first post office was at Section 9, Fond du Lac road, Nathaniel Wheeler, Postmaster. The office was established at Kewaskum Village, in 1847, with James Thompson as first Postmaster.

The first school was established in 1851; L. Clark, Superintendent; Calista Colvin, teacher.
 
VILLAGE OF KEWASKUM

In 1852, J. H. Myer built the first log house on the bank of Milwaukee River, in the then prospective village of Kewaskum. In the fall of tho same year he built a sawmill, and commenced a gristmill in 1854, which he finished in 1856.

The first frame house in the village and in the town was built by Henry P. Fames. It was near the river, on the south side of what is now Main street, opposite West Water. It was what was called a "story and a half house. The nearest settler was William Pickel, a half mile away.

The first store, built by William Spicer, was a frame building, now called '"the old store."

In 1852, F. W. Buchte! started the first blacksmith shop.

In the spring of 1854, the first religious society was organized—the Dutch Reformed — Rev. M. Davenport, Pastor.   There were four attendants at the first meeting.

The first church edifice was built by the Catholics.

The first Sunday school was organized in 1855, with Mrs. Eames as superintendent, The school was very successful, and under various Superintendents was maintained until 1879. The village has grown to be the thriving trade center of the surrounding country. The Chicago & North Western Railway passes through the town and village. The village population at present (1881) exceeds five hundred. In has six hotels—the Eagle, the American House, S. Witzig's Hotel, Central Hotel and the Madison House. It has three general stores. The largest is owned and run by the Rosenheimer Brothers, Moritz and Adolph, under the family firm name of L. Rosenheimer & Sons. They have an elevator and do a large grain shipping business in connection with their merchandising. Their annual grain shipments aggregated 125,000 bushels. The other two stores are run by Henry Backhaus and Charles Lobeisky. Both do a thriving business.

Remmell Bros. & Co. have just completed tho most complete establishment for the manufacture and repair of all kinds of wood and iron work, between Fond du Lac and Milwaukee.

It embraces a machine shop, with engine lathe, a planing mill, a wagon-shop and a blacksmith's shop. Here carriages and agricultural machinery are manufactured and repaired in the best style of mechanical art. The Remmell Brothers arc practical workmen of rare merit, and possessed of inventive talents of a high order.

There are also four grain elevators, all doing a grain shipping business during the season.

The flouring mill, built by Mr. Myer in 18.52, was enlarged and partially rebuilt in 1878. It is now run by Guth & Backhaus.

The lumberyard is run by N. Guth & Son.

There are two schools, a public school, and a parish school connected with the Catholic Church.

The are three churches—the Catholic, built in 1862; the Lutheran, built in 1868; the Methodist, built in 1866.

The village has also a hardware store, a stove and tinware establishment, and shoemakers, blacksmiths, painters and other artisans, which go to make up the population of a thriving and growing village.

The charitable and secret societies are represented as follows:

Kewaskum Turnverein, organized June 2, 1878. First officers were: First Speaker, Charles Flicheman; Second Speaker, Peter Heip; First Turnwart, Frank Brown; Second Turnwart, Adolph Rosenheimer; Secretary, Fred Stork ; Assistant Secretary, Nic Marks; Treasurer, Nic Guth; Steward, Henry Backhaus; Trustees, John Stroegel, Pat McLaughlin, Mattice Louis.

The present officers are: First Speaker, Fred Stork; Second Speaker, Valentine Dreher; First Turnwart, Lewis Guth; Secretary, Nic Marks; Assistant Secretary, Lawrence Guth: Treasurer, Charles Kiehn; Steward, William Fillbert; Trustees, Joseph Rerarael, Pat Mc Laughlin, N. Guth, Sr.   Present membership is twenty eight.   Meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month.

Kewaskum Lodge, No. 101, I. O. O. F., was instituted February 4, 1860. It was first started in the English language, then changed to a German lodge. After a few years it ceased active work, and lay dormant for several years. February 2, 1876, it was resuscitated, and has existed as an American lodge, so far as its work is carried on in the English language, though its membership is largely made up of Germans. The present officers are : H. J. Ebenreiter, N. G.; L. A. Clark, V. G.; C. P. Mooers, R. B.; Charles Miller, P. S.; N. Guth, Treasurer. The present membership numbers twenty.   Meetings are held weekly, on Saturday evenings.
 
THE TOWN IN 1881.

The town is entirely settled, with a population of thrifty farmers.

It has six whole and joint school districts, six schoolhouses, worth $0,000. The scholars number 547 ; eight teachers are employed. The amount of money expended for school purposes in 1880 was $2,043.

The population of Kewaskum in 1880, according to the census of that year, was 1,469.

The average amount of crops raised from 5,010 acres of cultivated land, in 1880, was: Wheat, 30,000 bushels; corn, 16,000; oats, 32,000; barley, 16,000; rye, 24,000; potatoes, 10,000. The number of acres of growing timber was 3,295; of apple orchard 94, with 2,860 bearing trees.   The town had 497 cows, and made 21,000 pounds of butter.

The present town officers (1881) are: Supervisors, James Carrel (Chairman), Fred Backhaus, Theo. Schoofs; Town Clerk, William Koch; Treasurer, Chas. Backhaus; Assessor, Peter Fellenz.
 

History Index --- HOME

Genealogy Trails
Copyright © Genealogy Trails