TOWN HISTORIES OF WASHINGTON COUNTY.
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin; transcribed by Barbara Ziegenmeyer
West Bend—Village of West Bend—Hartford—Village or Harford— Polk—Schlkisingerville —Farmington—Kewaskum—Village or Kewaskum—Barton and Villages— Trenton—Jackson—Wayne—Addison—Erin—Germantown—Richfield.
Newark, the original name of this town, was changed to Barton by order of the County Board of Supervisors on the 25th day of November, 1853.
The town of Newark was formed in 1818 by taking two tiers of sections from the north side of West Bend, and two from the south side of North Bend, and organizing them into a town containing twenty two whole and two half sections.
The village of Barton was originally called Salisbury's Mills, the old sawmill and gristmill built by Barton Salisbury forming its nucleus.
Barton Salisbury, on one of his surveying expeditions in the autumn of 1845, first discovered the fine waterpower and other natural advantages of the site, and decided to locate there He immediately put up his log shanty, assisted by Ben Thompson, the Verbeck brothers, and M. A. T. Farmer, who came up from the southern part of the township (West Bend), and found him " on the ground with ox team and two men, cutting and hauling logs to erect the first shanty." It was near the present dam, on the north side of the river. During the fall and winter of 184546, other settlers arrived and located, among whom were Charles and Foster Buck, James Frazer, John Douglas, Martin Foster, Rev. Bela Wilcox, W. P. Barnes, and the Danforth family, Mrs. Danforth being the first white woman that lived in Salisbury. These settlers were soon followed by other members of the Frazer family. Peter, who came with his mother and sisters in 1846, established a mercantile business in 1847, which he still carries on. The buzz of the sawmill built by Mr. Salisbury was heard before the spring of 1846 ; the large gristmill erected by the same energetic laborer for Edward and William Caldwell, was finished in 1847, and the embryo village seemed to be fairly started Early in 1846, a store, which served the double purpose of store and dwelling, was started by William and Edward Caldwell on the ground where the Catholic Church now stands. Mr. Caldwell had to draw his supplies for the store from Milwaukee, and, on his way home from that place with his "fall goods," he found Moses Wiel building the first store at West Bend. Mr. Caldwell's store by this time was having a "rush of business."
THE FIRST TOWN MEETING.
The first town meeting was called at the house of Martin Foster, in the village of Newark, October 16, 1848. John K. Avery was chosen Moderator, and Samuel EL Alcot, Clerk. Those present then adjourned to the schoolhouse, where the meeting was held.
(The school house was the log shanty built by Barton Salisbury, and converted to its present uses when he built his frame house in 1846. A coffeepot was used at this meeting for a ballot box).
The whole number of votes cast was thirty seven. The officers elected were: Supervisors, Noah Reynolds, John R. Avery, Peter Frazer; Town Clerk, Harlow L. Craraton; Treasurer, Abel Walker; Commissioners of Highways, Jacob Albright, John H. Pickle, James H. St. John; Justices of Peace, Samuel H. Alcot, Samuel Ladd; Commissioners of Schools, Alonzo Curtis, Harlow Cramton, George W. McCarty ; Constables, G. W. McCarty and Sylvester Rowe; Sealers of Weights and Measures, Charles E, Eliot and Daniel Bastin; Fence Viewers, Samuel H. Alcot, Henry Totten and Noah P. Reynolds.
OLD TIMES AND THINGS.
The first school in the village was taught by Rev. Bela Wilcox, in the schoolhouse where the above mentioned meeting was held. Mr. Wilcox was an educated man, and when he visited the first School Commissioner for a certificate, Mr. Young simply said, " Elder Wilcox, have the kindness to draw up the certificate; we will sign it"
The first post office, in 1847 (then Salisbury Mills Post Office), was also kept by Rev. Bela Wilcox. The mail was brought on foot from the Meeker Post Office, at or near Cedar Creek, by William Ellis, in a mail bag made of W. P. Barnes' vest pocket; hence called "vest pocket mail." In 1852, through the persevering energy of John R. Taylor, a post office was established at Barton (then Newark), and Mr. Taylor appointed Postmaster.
The first sermon preached was by Rev. Mr. Traine in the schoolhouse.
The first Presbyterian meeting was at the house of Peter Frazer, when a society was organized by Rev. Mr. Elliot, of Milwaukee. Among those present at this meeting were Peter Frazer and Mr. and Mrs. William Wightman, three old settlers who are still living. Mr. Elliot was Pastor of the church for a number of years, sometimes preaching in the sawmill. The society built a church edifice in 1853.
The first tavern in Barton was kept by Martin Foster in a small, wooden building near Father Rehrl's place.
The first Assessors were Walter Demmon and Mr. Barnes, and the whole amount of property in what is now Trenton, West Bend, Barton, Farmington and Kewaskum at that time was valued at $3,700.
The first mass was said in Barton by Father Rehrl December 25, 1857. The cornerstone of the Catholic Church was laid on Wednesday, September 30,1857. The ceremonies were conducted by John Martin Henni, Bishop of the State, assisted by the Revs. Barstow, Bradley and Rehrl. In a cavity cut in the cornerstone were deposited several coins bearing the date of 1857, also the name of the President of the United States, Governor of the State, and the Justices of tie Peace of the town of Barton. The church was finished the following year (1858). It is a handsome brick edifice; the auditorium, 36 by 56 feet, addition for altar, vestry, etc., 19 by 20 feet. It was furnished with bells in May, 1860. There are at present connected with the Barton congregation one hundred and thirty families. The school connected with the church has one hundred scholars. The convent, founded by Father Rehrl, was established as the Order of the Sisters of St. Agnes. From the small beginning at the little village of Barton the order has increased, been acknowledged by the Pope, and is now known throughout the world, this being the mother house, although the house at Fond du Lac is now the head of the order. Full particulars of the life and labors of Father Rehrl are given in his biography.
The population of Barton in 1855, ten years after its settlement, was 1,095, of whom 445 were of foreign birth. It was connected with the railroad before 1857 by daily mail and stage route; contained an American and German hotel, three large stores and numerous workshops. A commodious Presbyterian Church was built in 1853. The new bridge across the Milwaukee River was completed in 1857.
In the old days, before Washington and Ozaukee Counties dissolved partnership, the old settlers used to find the "Old Schoolhouse " at Barton a magnet that attracted the lovers of fun from all over old Washington County. One evening, a meeting was held there by some of the jovial spirits of the county, and a sort of sovereigns1 Legislature was formed Hank Totten was elected Governor and Reuben Rusco Secretary of State. "Governor" Totten issued his proclamation, duly attested by "Secretary " Rusco, calling a meeting of the Legislature, the towns in the county to have a representative on the basis that the counties of the State had in the legal body. " Governor" Totten, on the assembling of his hosts, discovered that his " Secretary " was absent. Young Rosebrook, who had been elected doorkeeper, was armed with a summons from His Excellency to proceed at once to bring in the recalcitrant officer. He found him and another individual playing "seven up" in the woods, using a big stump for a table. He handed the summons to Rusco, who immediately obeyed the majesty of the law. The deliberations of the pioneer legislature were decidedly rich. No subject, neither State or National, was too large or too small to be made the butt of fun, and when Mr. Blair, who claimed he represented " The district east of Ozaukee "—Lake Michigan—got up and eloquently appealed for equal rights for the fishes in all cases, the members adjourned to give them a chance, and claimed their advocate ought to be soaked in cider in honor of his constituents.
SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES.
The schools of Barton have not been neglected. From the time that Elder Wilcox made out his own certificate, with the full approval of the Commissioner, good teachers have found sufficient encouragement to establish select schools in the village. On August 2, 1858, a high school was opened, W. 0. Wendall, Principal, with a normal class, "for the instruction of those who design to teach, whether members of the school or not. Class thoroughly drilled both in the practice and theory of teaching." This instruction involved the whole principle of the modern normal school.
On August 4, 1861, a select school was started by Misses F. M. and II. A. Wightman, daughters of William Wightman, of West Bend. These young ladies were accomplished teachers, having fitted themselves expressly for that vocation. Miss Frances had been a teacher at the Female Seminary in Knoxville, Tenn., during the preceding year.
In August, 1862, a select school was opened in Barton by William H. Barnes, a young Appleton student. Since these early days, the village schools have been cared for as in other places of its size. The principal schoolhouse is of brick. There are 175 scholars in the district, a large proportion of whom attend the Catholic school.
The village of Barton now contains two churches—the Presbyterian and Catholic.
The Presbyterian^ before mentioned as having been built in 1853, had for its Pastor, when dedicated, Rev. Mr. French, who remained six years in that capacity. His successors have been Rev. Messrs. Lord, Tanner, Smith, Boyd, Hysen and J. D. Gehring. At present the church is without a pastor.
The Baptists and Methodists of Barton have generally connected themselves with the West Bend churches.
The Catholic Church has been previously noticed.
Nonpariel Lodge, No. 100 I. O. G.. T.—This lodge was organized November 2,1858, with thirteen members. The first officers were: William T. Gray, W. C. T.; Miss Ernily Nichols, W. V. T; S.S. Fuller; W.S. Miss Myra B. Degolyer, W. T.J A. Ives, W. F. S.; L. B. Root, W. M.; Mrs. Mary Pitcher, W. I. G.; H. G. Hurlbert, W. O. G.; Miss M. J. Fuller, W. R. H. S.; Miss Lizzie Brown, W. L. H. S.; B. S. Potter, P. W. C. T.
The present hall was built in the fall of 1875, costing nearly $1,000. The present membership is sixteen. The lodge has never suspended its meetings since its organization; has initiated nearly one thousand five hundred members, many of whom are scattered over the.Western States, and are earnest workers for prohibition and the order of Good Templars. At St. Edwards, Neb., eighty of the chartered members of the lodge were formerly members of the " Nonpariel." Some of its officers have been elected to the State Senate, and all are today good, industrious citizens.
The following are the names of the present officers: Wisly Manaser, W. C. T.; Mrs. Maggie Taylor, W. V. T.; C. F. Taylor, W. R. S.; N. E. Woodford, W. F. S.; J. R. Taylor, W. T.; Mrs. Emily Tagler, W. C; W. S. Davis, P. W. C. T.; C. Kauffung, W. M. C; H. H. Taylor, W. I. G.; Charles Taylor, Jr., W. 0. G.; H. H. Taylor, L. D.
Kishcaupee Lodge, No. 96, L O. O. F., was first instituted in Barton, in the year 1869. After running several years it divided, and, about 1872, the lodge was removed to Boltonville. Some of the members retained their fellowship in the Boltonville lodge.
The new iron bridge, already contracted for, to cross the Milwaukee River at this place, is to be built in one span of 115 feet. It is to be of iron, with stone abutment. The cost will be $5,150, and, when finished, it will be the best bridge on the river north of Milwaukee.
Barton, during the war, sent to the front some excellent soldiers. Among them, deserving of special mention, was Capt. U. Martin Price, who lost his life in the service. The roll at Madison shows the names of forty four soldiers from the town who did personal and gallant service. The names appear in the war history of the county at large. Of the seven soldiers who joined the Washington County Rifles, Company G, Twenty sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, Carl Karsten, himself an honored member, gives the following report: Corporal George Koehler, wounded while bearing colors at Gettysburg; Private William Simon, discharged January 5, 1863; Private John Saaler, discharged March, 1863; Private Killian Schnepf. killed in battle; Private Peter Schnomenberg. died; Private Fred Walker, no report, probably returned; Private William Wehl, no report, probably returned.
The Barton Mills, owned by R. R. Price, were burned in 1865, and rebuilt by the same gentleman who ran them until 1877, when the property passed, by Sheriff's sale, into the possession of Abbot Lawran, and was again sold, in October, 1878, to the present proprietors, Huntington & Koch.
Since Bela Wilcox, the Postmasters of Barton have been John R. Taylor, John Reisse, Maxon Hirsch, Sebastian Koenig, John Reisse and Peter Frazer, who was appointed by President Grant in 1868, and has held the office twelve years, being the present incumbent.
The railroad was finished to the place in 1872. There are at present three taverns, several stores, a gristmill and various other industries in the village, but, since the advent of the railroad, local trade has fallen off, and the only flourishing business apparent is the flouring mill. When the waterpower is more fully utilized, busy times will come again.
This little village, situated in the town of Barton about a mile north of the village, on the Milwaukee River, received its first business impetus from the energy and enterprise of Messrs. Cook & Elliott.
A dam and sawmill were built at the place, in 1851, by Morris Wait—the mill fitted with all (then) modern appliances—run three hours, and burned to the ground.
In 1856, Messrs. Cook & Elliott erected a large flouring mill on the same site. On September 19, 1856, this mill, lacking yet a few days of completion, was also entirely destroyed by lire. It was a deplorable loss. Twelve mechanics lost their tool chests with contents, worth about $2,000, their only means of support The total loss was $8,000; insurance, $4,000. Cook & Elliott immediately commenced rebuilding, and, on August 10, 1857, had a new mill finished. This was of brick, three stories high, two run of stone, and capable of turning out 150 barrels of extra superfine flour per day. There was also a brick cooper shop connected with the mill, in running order at the same date, and a bridge across the river in process of erection. The mill was purchased some time during 1857, by David and A. W. Coe, who ran it successfully for a number or years. "Young America Flour" commanded a high price in Milwaukee, all, except what was used for home consumption, being sold in that market. Just before the war, Messrs. Coe sold the mill to W. P. Horton, who, after running it a short time, sold again to Fred Hart, of Milwaukee, It was next sold at Sheriff's sale, and bid in by Mr. Trurapft, Cashier of Second Ward Bank. Milwaukee. It was sold by the bank to Peter Hoffman, and on his death, the establishment being insolvent, was again sold at Sheriff's sale, and bid in by the Germantown Fire Insurance Company, sold to Phillip Kraetsch, and finally leased by him to Paul Sladkey, an energetic young miller, who is at the present time running it successfully. During the time that the Messrs. Coe were running the Young America Mill, they had also a store in successful operation. They were young and energetic ; their store was well filled with desirable goods, and the village saw its palmiest days during their residence there. The store started by Messrs. Coe has been owned for the last eleven years by Martin Gayhart, and is still kept by him. Mr. Gayhart is also Postmaster. f
The Young America Hotel is kept by P. C. Schmidt.
The latest official returns give the agricultural products of the town as follows: Wheat, 36,000 bushels; corn, 31,000; oats, 17,000; barley, 7,600; rye, 3,000; potatoes, 7,800 ; butter, 25,000 pounds; cheese, 15.000 pounds.
The annual acreage of grain fields amount to 5,300 acres. The apple orchards comprise 105 acres and 3,050 fruit bearing trees. There are 2,436 acres of growing timber in the town. The number of milch cows is upward of seven hundred.
The present town officers (1881) are: Supervisors, Martin Gayhart, Chairman, Joseph Berend, Nicholaus Weber; Town Clerk, Michael Eisenmann; Assessor, Joseph Holehouse; Treasurer, Henry Saueressig.
The population by the latest Federal census (1880) is 1,287.
There were two post offices in the town in 1881—Barton and Young America.
The town of Trenton is designated on the Government survey as Town 11, Range 20 east. It is six miles square, and is hounded as follows : North, by Farmington; east, by Saukville, in Ozaukee County; south, by Jackson ; west, by West Bend and Barton. The surface of land is broken into small hills throughout. It was originally covered with a dense growth of hardwood timber. The Milwaukee River runs through it in a tortuous course, from west to east. It enters the town on the section line between Sections 7 and 18, and winds through Sections 18, 17, 16, 15, II and 12. At Newburg, on Section 12, it furnishes an excellent waterpower. The lands were early spied by speculators, and, as early as 1336, considerable tracts were entered by them along the river, and especially near the site of the present village of Newburg, on Section 12. These early entries were made by Michael Antony Guista, Solomon Juneau, Charles Hunt, M. C. Johnson, James Duane Doty, Joseph R. Ward and others, none of whom ever settled in the town or attempted any improvements.
The actual settlers began to come in in 1845, and in 1846 the tide of immigration had fairly set in. The list of those who took up land, many of whom settled during those two years, is given below. Those who entered land in 1845 are designated, all others whose names appear made their entries in 1846. The list is as follows: Section 1, Ebenezer H. Keene, Sylvester R. Lathrope, Adam Fraie, Jacob Fraie; Section 2, Levi Grant, Matthias Schmidt, Peter Mulligan, James Christie and Hiram Marsh; Section 3, Nicholas Henson, Peter Schwin, Peter Wilger; Section 5, James Stevens and Edward P. Foster ; Section 6, Jonathan Moore, Charles G. Newcome, Amasa T. Curtice, Salmon Grover, Bindiah Benber, Andrew Clark, Edmund B. Dickerman ; Section 7, Edwin Yeamans, Samuel N. and Amos Verbeck, Charles Cludius: Section 8, Pat O'Connel, William Harrington, John Harrington, William Ellis; Section 9, Thomas Smith, Patrick Smith; Section 11, Joseph Taylor, James Christie; Section IS, Ludwig Steirwalt, Daniel Steirwalt; Section 14, William Lewis, John Simon; Section 19, Amos Verbeck, Philip Verbeck, Joseph Verbeck; Section 20, George Kluber, James Kantwell; Section 21, John T. Jenner, J. M. Smith, Peter McDonal, John MeDonal, Samuel Engle, William McHenry, Ensign Sprague ; Section 22, John Smith. Samuel Mann, Frederick Schlomilch ; Section 23, William Lewis. Eli L. Hurd, John Simon, Jeremiah H. Douglass; Section 24, Ludwig Steirwalt, Alex McCartney; Section 26, Jeremiah Canty, Pat Cary; Section 27, Peter Nusz (in 1845), Latzer Weise, Pat Cary, Richard Dailey, James Hughes; Section 28, Michael Jenner, Herman Mann, Maurice Mogenschein, Stephen Long, Turner Bailey; Section 29, Roderick McKenzie, William McKenzie, James Michaels; Section 30, Ferdinand Nolting (1845), Jacob Hill, Thomas Keenan, John Reed, Stephen Irish, Lazarus Sanford, James Christie, Francis Maurice; Section 31, Patrick Keown, Michael Bower, Edwin R. Nelson, Thomas Jessup, Moses Young (all in 1845), Lazarus Sanford, Richard T. Young; Section 32, Patrick Keown, Emanuel Mann, Christopher Long (all in 1845), Theron Bullock, Phil Warner, Herman Mann; Section 33, Thomas McCormack, Andrew Byrns, Edward Divin, Adaniah L. Halster, John C. Petzold, Stephen Long, Edward Boderie, George C. Butler ; Section 34, Fred Firstenberger (1845), Edward Divin, Thomas Cheasty, William Armstrong, David TempIeton, Theron Bullock; Section 35, James Johnson, Alex. Johnson, William Armstrong, David Templeton ; Section 36, Owen Fay, Charles Conaty.
In 1847-48, the remaining available farming lands of the town were generally taken up. The only village in the town, Newberg, on Section 12, in the northeast part of the township, was started by Barton Salisbury, in the winter of 1847—48, when, having decided to locate at that point and develope the waterpower, he hired a man named Watson, to build him a log house at that point. The house was afterward occupied by Mr. Frisby and family in 1845). He was the father of L N. and L. F. Frisby, both now practicing attorneys at West Bend. Mr. Salisbury came in himself in 1848, built the first dam at that point, erected a sawmill and gristmill, started an ashery for the manufacture of pearlash from the crude potash furnished by the pioneers from the ashes made in clearing their lands, and fairly started a thriving village. Two nephews of Salisbury came in with him—Sillwell and Salisbury. They showed the enterprise of their uncle, and erected several of the early buildings. They built the first hotel building, now the u Webster House." At the raising of this building, Barton Salisbury, the most energetic and enterprising man that had appeared in the county, accidentally lost his life. His death was an irreparable loss to the infant village. He had, after several moves, decided upon it has his future home, and had he lived would have made it the leading village in the fast settling county. He was cut off in the prime of his early manhood, being only thirty six years of age at the time of his death. The village has for many years remained nearly stationary, being only the center of a limited local trade. Its nearest railroad connection is at West Bend, six miles distant. The old mill still stands and does a fair custom business.
THE FIRST TOWN MEETING.
The town was incorporated March 11, 1848, and on April 4, 1848, the first town meeting was held at the house of John Smith.
The first town officers were: Supervisors, John A. Douglass, Chairman, Rueben Salisbury, Turner Bailey; Town Clerk, Frederick Balch; Treasurer. Eli L. Ilurd; Assessors, Amos Verbeck, Theron Bullock, George W. Alay ; Justices of the Peace, Frederick Leson, James H. Watson; Highway Surveyors, David Templeton, Moses Young, Sr., Partrick Keoun; School Commissioners, Lazarn Sanford, Arahust D. Tenant, Comfert B. Waller ; Collector. Henry A. Douglass; Constables, Fred Batch, Henry A. Douglass, Horace Bradley; Fence Viewers, John Smith, A. J. Holstead, James H. Watson; Sealer of Weights and Measures, John A. Douglass. James II. Watson was Moderator and John A. Douglass Clerk of the meeting. At this meeting appropriations were made as follows: For highways, $50 ; for support of the poor, $25 ; for town expenses, $200 ; for schools, "the full limit the law allows." The salary of the Town Clerk was fixed at $25 per year, and it was voted to raise a special highway tax of five days' work or $5 in money on every eighty acres of land, and two days work for a poll tax.
The poll list of this town meeting was not preserved. At the first general election held in the town, in November, 1848, the list of voters was as follows:
J. D. McDoland, William M. Cheny, Michael Jenner, Henry Dunham, Edward Dutton, Peter McDonald, Comfort B. Waller, Patrick Cowan, Thomas Casey, David Templeton, Thomas McConner, A. G. Holstead, F. A. Root, Jefferson Newcomb, David Newcorab. James Emery, Jacob Loon, Christopher Filchove, Godfrey Loon, Jonas Scene, David Shaver, William C. Starkin, John Stowan, Richard Daily, James Johnson, Anthony Hartford, Amherst D. Tenant, James Watson, Lemuel Shafer, Jacob Goldsmith, Samuel Goldsmith, Gregory Lame, David Dudley, John Smith, F. W. Khotting, Henry A Douglas3, Andrew Byrnes, Turner Raily, Lazarus Sanford, Peter Ness, Alexander McCarty, Roswell Babcock, Moses Young, John H. Douglass, Amos Verbechan, William Butler, Edward Butler, Jeremiah Canfield, Samuel Dowland, Richard Collins, Edward Buckley, Philip Verbeck, Asa Stephens, Eli Hurd, Joseph Weisse; total number of votes polled, 58.
During the war, Trenton did her patriotic part. In addition to raising $9,337 for war purposes, a roll of sixty nine soldiers appears in the archives of the State, who did personal service. The town furnished eighteen for one company—the Washington County Rifles, Company C, Twenty sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Of these, Carl Karsten, long the Orderly of the company, furnishes the following creditable record:
Sergeant John Crowley, died January 5, 1803.
Corporal Anthone Rorke, discharged May 28, 1863.
Privates—Edward Abbot, discharged October 4, 1803; Martin Abbot, wounded; Fred Diskler, wounded and missing; George Emne*. wounded ; Andrew Fullerton, wounded and afterward promoted to Captain ; Fred Steirwald; Daniel Steirwald; James S hat luck, discharged March 12, 1888; Robert Templeton, killed ; Jacob Weiner, killed; Vetor Walker, wounded ; Joachim Wiederman, wounded ; John Walker, promoted lo Corporal ; Michael Young discharged May 15, 1863; Nic Young, killed; Franz Zellsdorf, killed.
The town is now covered with finely cultivated farms, and ranks as one of the best in the county. Stockraising and dairying is becoming a leading business in addition to the raising of cereals which is still the leading pursuit. The population is now seven eighths German by birth or immediate descent. There are two German churches in the town—one Catholic, and one Lutheran
The schools are in excellent condition. There are eight joint districts and four whole districts in the town, taught by three male, and twelve female teachers. The amount of. money expended for schools, in 1880, was $2,093.
The industries, other than agricultural, are centered mostly at Newburg, where there is a gristmill, sawmill, two stores, two hotels, and a cheese factory. Other mechanical pursuits are represented at that point—black smithing, shoe making, carriage making, painting, etc. Further mention of them will be found in the biographical sketches of citizens now actively engaged in business.
There is a cheese factory on the western border of the town, situated on Section 30. It was built in 1878, by F. W. Schroeder, who still owns it. Its capacity is 60,000 pounds of cheese per season. The milk is furnished alike by the farmers of Trenton and West Bend. The proprietor is a resident of West Bend, and his factory, though located in Trenton, is known as the West Bend Cheese Factory.
The population of the town, as enumerated by the census of 1880, was 1,868.
The average crops, as gathered from the latest official returns, are : Wheat, 58,000 bushels; corn, 39,000; oats, 49,000 ; barley, 14,000; rye, 14,000 ; potatoes, 16,000. The dairy products were: Butter, 45,000 pounds; cheese, 4,000. Number of acres under cultivation for the above crops, was 7,686. There are 4,552 acres of growing timber in the town, and 166 acres of orchard, with 6,458 bearing trees. The milch cows number 917.
The town officers for 1881, were: Supervisors, Peter Lochen, Chairman; Ignatz Pruschinger. Chris Hemmi; Town Clerk, Henry Seivers ; Assessor, John Buyon ; Treasurer, Theodore Ritterbusch ; Justice of the Peace, Nick Schwin ; Constables, Martin Fichter, Frank Kreuter.
There were two post officers in the town in 1881—Myra (Section 15) and Newburg. Henry Seives is the present Postmaster at Newburg.
The town of Jackson, designated by the Governmental survey as Town 10, Range 20 east, was incorporated under its present name by act of Legislature January 21, 1846. It is one of the inner towns of the county, contains thirty six square miles, and is bounded as follows: North, by the town of Trenton ; east by Cedarburg; south by Germantown, and west by Polk. It is watered by Cedar Creek and the numerous small streams running into it. The creek enters the town on Section 19, winds in an easterly direction across it, and leaves on Section 12.
The surface is less broken than in the surrounding towns, and through the middle tiers of sections along the course of Cedar Creek is nearly level. The Chicago & North Western Railway passes through the town on the western tier of sections, the station being at Riceville, near the boundary line between Sections 18 and 19.
The earliest entries of land were made in 1848: John McDonald and Peter Devereau entering eighty acres each, and John Kinney forty acres, in May of that year. In the following fall there were thirty one entries, and before the winter of 1845—a year before the town was incorporated—the number had increased to 149. These entries show that even at that early day the value of the land and its availability for business purposes was recognized by those who were looking forward to the day when iron rails should glisten along the faintly denned Indian trail, and the scanty hoard of grain ground between two stones should be superseded by the yellow harvest fields and the busily toiling mill. As the number of entries on record outnumber the names on the poll list of 1864 three to one, it is safe to infer that much of the land thus taken was held for " the good time coming."
On April 7,1846, three months after the town was incorporated, the first town meeting was held. That it was considered a very important occasion, and created much local excitement, may be seen from the fact that there were forty three votes cast—apparently the entire strength of the town—to the comparatively small number of twenty one at the succeeding November election. It was at the time of the famous contest for the location of the county seat, and Jackson had " aspirations of its own," as laudable as those of its older and more pretentious neighbors. The county farm and buildings appertaining to it was already located within the borders of the town, and would it not be well for the county, and well for Jackson to add what more was necessary, and make it the location of the county seat also? This question the voters of the town of Jackson decided in the affirmative so far as their own votes could decide it, as the records of the meeting show.
FIRST TOWN MEETING.
"April 7, 1846. Met at the house of L. Topliff. A. Fuller was chosen Chairman, Jacob Ingraham, Assistant Chairman, and L. Topliff, Clerk."
"Voted to elect officers by the uplifted hand."
"Vote taken on the location of the county seat. Unanimous (forty three votes) for the county farm on Section 2."
"Voted to pay town officers #1 per day."
"Voted that the following tax shall be raised: For support of common schools, $25 ; for roads and bridges, $30."
"The following officers were elected: Supervisors, L. Topliff, Chairman, Thomas Brophy, James Fagan; Town Clerk, Jacob Ingraham; Highway Commissioners, John Houghraan, Davis Johnson, Thomas Fagan; Assessors, Davis Jenner, Thomas Fagan; Justices of the Peace, Asa Fuller, William Vogenitz; Town Treasurer, L. Topliff; Constable and Collector, W. McKensie; Constable on south side of Cedar Creek, Thomas Fagan; School Commissioners, William Vogenitz, Thomas Brophy, Asa Fuller; Fence Viewers, Matthias Burns, Joseph Fullerton; Pathmasters, Asa Fuller, north part of the town; Matthias Burns, south side of Cedar Creek; Jacob Ingraham, east part of the town; Mr. Schowalter and John Crayson at large."
" Adjourned to the center of the town on the first Tuesday of April next."
"A special meeting was held May 30, 1846, at the Town Clerk's office, and Matthew Byrnes was elected Highway Commissioner in place of John Hoffman, who proved not to be a legal voter."
"There were present at this meeting Jacob Ingraham, Thomas Brophy, Asa Fuller, William Vogenitz, John Toroay, Florence Sullivan, William McCensey, Matthew Byrnes, David Jenner and Phillip Buck."
"By full vote of the above, the salary of the Town Clerk was fixed at $20 per year, and $75 was raised for town purposes and $25 for schools."
Thomas Fagan, who was one of the first Highway Commissioners, one of the first Assessors, and the first Constable of the town on the south side of Cedar Creek is still living on Section 25.
The following is the polllist of November, 1846: Joseph Fullerton, John Tomay, Matthew Byrnes, Patrick Byrnes, James Ballow, Christopher Mallon, Patrick Mallon, Samuel Schowalter, John Osborn, William Vogenitz, Thomas Fagan, Thomas Brophy, Sylvester Harper, Libbeus Topliff, Ethan Maxon, Asa Fuller, Andrew Sigley, Gotthelt Zeimer, Franz Basseman, Frederich Heidke, Frederich Bublitz, John Hoffman, Jr., John Hoffman, Sr., Peter Hoffman. Total, 21.
The oldest living settlers in Jackson, after Thomas Fagan above mentioned, are: John Hussey, now living on Section 24; Dennis O'Connel, on Section 12 ; James Clearken, on Section 12 ; William Dowly, on Section 24; Ludwig Nicholas, on Section 24; August Schneider, on Section 24 ; Charles Ehlke, on Section 23, and Charles Lehram, on Section 25.
A large proportion of the inhabitants of Jackson are German Lutherans—there being five churches of that denomination, to one Methodist and one Catholic. The oldest church in the town built about thirty years ago on Section 34, is Lutheran, also those on Sections 33, 2, 31 and 18. The Methodist Church is on Section 3, and the Catholic (St. Mary's) on Section 2.
There are three American families in the town, and twenty Irish ; the remainder are German or of German descent. The town being almost exclusively agricultural, there is no prominent village which forms a center of trade, but at different points there are two small hamlets each attracting the local trade immediately around it.
On Section 24, is Jackson Post Office, John G. Frank, Postmaster; also a store, kept by the same gentleman.
Kirchhayn Post Office, on Section 35, is the center of a little cluster of buildings, comprising a store, a wagon shop, shoemaker's shop, blacksmith's shop and the dwellings of the villagers. L. M. Koehn is the proprietor of the store, and the Postmaster.
Riceville, the larger and more important of the hamlets, bids fair to become at no very distant day a central point for the trade of the town. In 1848, Franz Reis, then a young man of twenty seven, and only a year from his native Germany, preempted a homestead in Jackson at the point now called Riceville. With no capital save his own energy and resolution, he gradually added one broad field to another until he possessed 400 acres of the best land in the country, all in the highest state of cultivation When the airline railroad was projected, Mr. Reis with his usual sagacity perceiving the immense benefit that would accrue to his property, and the neighborhood, if the station could be located where it now stands, made a present to the corporation of the ground. When the road was opened, desiring still farther to promote his own and the interests of his children, he built an elevator and started a store—the germinal points of the prosperous little village of today. The elevator and railroad store are now run by Frank Reis Another elevator is built near the first and owned by John G. Frank, who is also proprietor of the new store. There are two blacksmith shops, one carpenter's shop, a hardware store, wagon shop and a number of neat stone dwellings. William II. Froehlich is Postmaster, the office being kept in the store of Mr. Frank.
The town of Jackson is apportioned into ten school districts. There are eight schoolhouses, costing, in the aggregate, $5,100. Ten teachers are employed, and the scholars number 766. The money expended for schools, in 1880, according to the official report, amounted to $1,975.
The record of the town during the war is a creditable one. There was raised for war purposes by tax, $5,593; by private subscription, $6,620; and to aid the families of soldiers, $1,000. Total, $13,213.
The rolls at Madison contain the names of thirty two soldiers from Jackson, who did personal service, and whose names appear in the war history of the country at large. Carl Karsten, of West Bend, gives the following report of the fate of ten soldiers from Jackson, who served with him in the "Washington County Rifles," Company G, Twenty sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry :
Corporal Alfred Cassel, died March 25, 1863. *
Privates—Henry Allen, taken prisoner; Fred Eickharst, wounded; Charles Hafeman, wounded; Peter Kuhl, missing; Jacob Laneman, missing; William Hughes, wounded ; George W. Jones, promoted to Adjutant; Julius Jewlson, missing; Mathias Zulger, killed.
Among the officers from Jackson, who served during the war, were: Second Lieutenant Herman Rohn of the Forty fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and Second Lieutenant Victor E. Rohn of the same regiment.
The average crops of the town, as gathered from the latest official returns, are as follows : Wheat, 73,000 bushels; corn, 24,000; oats, 53,000; barley, 25,000; rye, 9,400; potatoes, 18,000. This crop was raised on 7,530 acres. There are 6,916 acres of growing timber; 1,064 milch cows, and there were made, in 1880, 58,000 pounds of butter.
The town officers, for 1881, were: Supervisors, Herman Koepke, Chairman, John Jaegerr Albert Woldt; Town Clerk, John G. Frank; Treasurer, Jacob Slump; Assessor, Frederick Schmall; Justice of the Peace, John G. Frank ; Constables, Peter Gumm, Patrick Fagan. The population, in 1880, according to the census of that year, was 1,764.
The township is, in the Government survey, described as Town 12, Range 18. It is the northwestern town in Washington County. The natural growth was of hard wood. The land is a rich clay loam, with occasional tracts of sandy soil, and is excellent for the production of all grain crops that can be matured in this latitude. The Rock River, which has its source near the foot of Cedar Lake in Polk, runs through the southwestern part of the town in a northwesterly direction. It enters on Section 32, runs through the northeast quarter of Section 31, the southeast quarter of Section 30, the northwest quarter of Section 29, the west half of Section 20, and passing diagonally though Section 18 from the southeast to the northeast corner, enters the adjoining town on the west. All the creeks and streams in the town flow into this river, the town lying west of the range of hills that divides waterfowl east and west. The surface is undulating with many sharp drift elevations at different points in the town.
The earliest settlements were made in 1846. The first Government entry was made June 8,1846, eighty acres on Section 31, by Alexander W. Stow. In the fall of that year several settlers made entries on Sections 26, 27, 28, 31 and 33. One of the first was Patrick Connolly, who settled on Section 33. He was a man of great energy, and took a leading part in the affairs of the town. He is still living on the farm he has hewn out of the woods, on the spot he selected thirty five years ago. Matthias Thorna, and two intelligent Scotchmen, A. S. McDowell and William Kirkland, came in the same year. The year 1847, brought several newcomers, among whom was Conrad Schlecher. He entered his land, three forties, on Section 28. February 1, 1847, he brought his wife and two children, Louisa and George, to the spot he had chosen for his new home. Here he left them with his wife's brother to commence the farm while he returned for a season to Milwaukee to work at his trade of cabinetmaking. During these early months Mrs. Schlecher, besides caring for her family, assisted in clearing the ground and getting in the first crops. On one occasion during these days of hardship she walked nine miles to an adjoining town, bought a small sack of flour which she carried home on her head, except at one point when a stream was swollen too deep to ford, this she crossed on a fallen tree, on her hands and knees pushing her precious load carefully over before her. Through such hardships did the pioneers come to the comforts which now surround them. Four children have been born to them since their settlement in the town—Jacob, born January 24, 1850, is believed to be the first white child born in the town, still living. The three other children were: Mary, now Mrs. Roecker; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Guenther; and Catharine, now Mrs. Guenther. Mr. Schlecher is one of the few early settlers still living in the town. He has held the office of Town Clerk continuously since 1870.
The town was fairly settled in 18484950. January 21, 1846, it was made a part of the town of Addison by act of the Legislature, and so remained for two years. March 11, 1848, it was set off and incorporated under the present town name of Wayne.
THE FIRST TOWN MEETING.
The first town meeting, although a momentous affair, was, so far as the records show, attended by eleven men. It was held at the house of Patrick Connolly, April 1, 1848. There were hardly citizens enough for the offices, as the following record shows:
"Voted, That A. S. McDowell should be chairman of the Board of Supervisors, Highway Surveyor and Justice of the Peace"
" Voted, That Hugh O'Donnell should be Supervisor and Collector."
" Voted, That Patrick Connelly should be Supervisor, Highway Commissioner and Town Clerk."
"Voted, That Theodore Hoyt should be Assessor for the year."
" Voted, That Patrick O'Neil should be Overseer of Highways, also Martin Reynolds, John Cooper and Matthias Thoma."
"Voted, That William Kirkland should be Treasurer and Constable."
"Voted, That John Cooper, David Gillespie and Martin Reynolds should be School Commissioners."
It was further voted that the pay of town officers should be fixed at $1 per day; that $10 should be raised for the poor, and $75 should be raised for contingent town expenses. The last appropriation was not made without an earnest opposition on the part of those who reduce the extravagant outlay. It passed after earnest and long discussion by a vote of six to five. The names of the six who voted to thus plunge the infant corporation into the vortex of extravagance were: A. S. McDowell, William Kirkland, John Cooper, Martin Reynolds, Conrad Simon and Patrick Connolly. The Clerk failed to record the names of the plucky but vanquished five who failed to save the town from the impending financial pressure.
The town was divided into eight highway districts.
At the time of this meeting and for three years after the settlers were mostly American and Irish. In 1850, Germans began to come in and purchase land of the earlier settlers, and have now completely reoccupied the town, seven eighths of the population being of German birth.
The history of the town, like that of all agricultural communities, has been uneventful, and the transformation of the wilderness into fruitful farms has been so gradual as to leave no startling events to record. It is the history of the toil of the suffering and silent heroes that ever live and die, unwritten and unsung. It is the story of every true life that moves noiselessly on to the great ocean of eternity, filling its appointed channel, but never overflowing its banks. It is a history that can only be summarized. Between what is and was lies labor performed, privations endured, and the present stands as the history of the past.
With the exception of the war period, nothing has ever occurred within the town to stir it to extraordinary effort or activity. During those years it bore its part sturdily in the great struggle. The town raised, during the war, $16,825 for war purposes. The State records have enrolled the names of thirteen soldiers from the town who did personal services. The list appears in the war history of the county at large.
Carl Karsten, of West Bend, for a long time Orderly Sergeant of the Washington County Rifles, Company G, Twenty sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, gives the following record of six Wayne soldiers who bore their noble part in the battles and campaigns of their regiment:
Privates, Jacob Knobee, wounded and discharged; Pecer Kuhn, killed in battle; John Keller, discharged March 3, 1863; Gottlieb Metzner, wounded; John Maier, wounded; Louis Perthold, discharged April 27, 1863.
Evan R. Jones, for many years United Stated Consul at New Castle, was a resident of Wayne at the breaking out of the war, and enlisted as a private in the Fifth Wisconsin Infantry, fought with distinguished bravery till the war was over, winning promotion to a Captaincy during his military career.
THE TOWN IN 1881.
It is entirely covered by well tilled and productive farms. There is no railroad passing through the town, the nearest point of connection being at Kewaskum. There are two post offices at different points, where are small hamlets that serve as local points for trade.
At Kohlsvilie Post Office, Section 27, is a good general country store kept by Jacob Hamm, who is the Postmaster, two blacksmith shops, two shoemaker's shops, one wagon shop, one saloon, and a sawmill built on a small stream, and owned by Philip Guenther, Jr.
At Wayne Center, on Section 15, is the post office; a large country store kept by Wendel Petri, the Postmaster; two blacksmith shops, two wagon shops, two shoe shops and a saloon. There is also a neat church, built by the German Protestants in 1879. A cheese factory is in process of erection by Mr. Petri and his son. Mr. Petri has also one of the finest farms in the town on an adjoining section, his residence and farm buildings forming a part of the hamlet above described.
The town, unlike those adjoining, shows great diversity of religious opinion, those of nearly every German sect being represented. There are nine churches, as follows: German Protestant, Wayne Center; Lutheran, on Section 2; Baptist, Section 3; Methodist, Section 6; Protestant. Section 10; Catholic (St. Bridget's), Section 12; Methodist, Section 25; Lutheran, Section 28; Protestant, Section 35. The last named is the oldest church in the town; it was started as early as 1852.
There are ten whole and joint school districts in the town, and eight schoolhouses, worth $3,300. The number of scholars is 675, and the number of teachers nine. The amount of money expended for common schools in 1880 was $1,733.
The population, as enumerated in the Federal census of 1880, is 1,594.
The farm products officially reported for 1880 were as follows: Wheat, 66,000 bushels; corn, 52,000 ; oats, 43,000; barley, 18,000; rye, 2,000; potatoes, 15,000; apples, 11,000; butter, 79,000 pounds; 8,405 acres were under cultivation for the above stated yield. There are in the town 3,540 acres of growing timber, and 156 acres of apple orchard, with 5,000 fruit bearing trees.
The town officers for 1881 were: Supervisors, Jacob Lay (Chairman), Philip Guenther, Sr., Peter Ruffing; Town Clerk, Conrad Schleischer; Treasurer, Julius Kantz; Assessor, Nicolaus Marx.
The town of Addison was incorporated by act of Legislature January 21, 1845. At the date of its incorporation it included all the territory comprised in Towns 11 and 12, Range 18. By subsequent act of Legislature, March 11, 1848, the territory included in Town 12, Range 18, was set off and incorporated as a distinct and separate town, leaving Town 11, Range 18, to constitute the present town of Addison.
The general characteristics of the surface of the country are similar to those of the adjacent towns. The growth of timber is dense, including nearly every hardwood variety on the higher ground, while tamarack flourishes in the swamps and marshes. The farms are excellent, the cultivation of the land being the principal occupation of the people. The town is almost exclusively German, there being but one family outside that nationality within its limits. Rock River runs in a northwesterly direction through the town, and with its tributary, Limestone Creek, furnishes waterpower and drainage. Addison is traversed by two old highways—the Dekora road, from east to west, and the Fond du Lac, from southeast to northwest. The roads cross each other at Addison Center. These are both old Territorial roads, laid out prior to the settlement of the town.
Timothy Hall, the old Hartford pioneer, states, that when he settled in that town in July, 1843, he "found Alfred Orendorf the only settler in the town of Addison, on the Fond du Lac road on Limestone Creek.99 The same season, [Trial S. Wordsworth settled two miles beyond Mr. Orendorf, and Mr. Hall assisted him in raising his log house. During that year (1843), entries of land were made by Simeon Aaron Andrus, Harmon Ostrander and Jacob and Francis Stuesser. In 184445,.the entries were numerous.
THE FIRST TOWN MEETING.
In 1846, the town being incorporated, the citizens held the first town meeting. The meeting was held at the house of Caleb Spaulding, April 7, 1846; Chairman, John Magoon ; Clerk, Chauncy M. Phelp*. It was " voted that $50 be raised for contingent expenses, $9 for poor fund; that town officers shall be paid $1 per day, and that hogs shall not be free commoners."
The first town officers of Addison were: Supervisors, Chauncy M. Phelps (Chairman), John Magoon, Jacob Getz; Town Clerk, Ira W. Ileaton ; Assessor, John Magoon ; Treasurer, Luther B. Phelps; Constable and Collector, Caleb Spaulding ; Highway Commissioners, John Magoon, Luther B. Phelps, Jacob Getz; Justice of the Peace, Ariel G. Wadsworth; School Commissioners, Chauncy M.Phelps, Hugh Flanigan, Ira W. Heaton; Constable, Stephen Gray; Sealer of Weights and Measures, Luther B. Phelps.
The town was divided into two road districts. The first road, laid out by the town, was "from near the dwelling house of J. W. Dickerson, running in a northwesterly direction to the west boundary of the town, according to survey made by Commissioners."
The poll list of Addison for November, 1846 (including also the present town of Wayne), is given below: P. W. Dodge, Daniel Bliss, Matthias Sones, John Ginter, William Singsing, Andrew Hanks, Philip Sorge, Michael Fleets, Christopher Stark, Lewis Grosen, Martin Sorras, John Getz, Martin Wolf, Arial S. Wadsworth, Philip Marinash, Henry Wolf, Matthias Smith, Jacob Getz, Caleb Spaulding, Stephen Gray, Lehman Rosenheimer, John Derfoos, Nicholas Gill, John E. Derfoos, John Craps, John Bake, Theodore Crayraer, Benedict Ceaclepower, George Derfoos, William Sokbare, Frederick Cole, Andrew Elhorn, Henry Blink, Joseph Craps, Equilin Craps, Q. D. Whitman, Hugh Flanigan, Luther B. Phelps, Ira W. Heaton, Chauncy M. Phelps, John Magoon, John Armstrong, Joseph Swap. Total, 44.
Among those who settled in Addison in 1844 was Lehman Rosenheimer, with his young wife. He bought a farm, and carried on a large business as stock dealer and butcher, the latter having been his trade in the old country, whence he had just returned after a short visit. He remained in Addison until 1856, in the meantime acquiring a large property, and at the date mentioned, removed to Schleisingerville, and engaged in trade till the time of his death.
John Schlegenhaft, one of the earliest settlers in Addison, and the oldest Catholic layman still living in the town, came in 1850 and located on Section 4, where he now resides. He gives the following information in regard to the early Catholic Church:
The first mass was said in 185152, by Father Bieter, in the old church of St. Peter and St. Paul, on Section 6. It was a log building, with very primitive surroundings, but previous to the time it was built the people of that religious faith had been obliged to go to the neighboring village of Hartford to worship at St. Laurence Church, of which Father Bieter was the officiating priest. After the Addison Church was organized, he divided his time between the two. The church was rebuilt in 186263. There are now connected with it some seventy families. There is also a school connected with the church, with sixty or seventy scholars. The school building is a new one of brick.
St. Anthony's Church, also Catholic, is on Section 3. Like its neighbor, it was first built of logs in 1856, and as the congregation grew larger and richer, the old church was replaced with a better. The new church was built in 1873. It is of stone, 80x40 feet in size, with a pipe organ and commodious interior arrangements. Rev. John Decker is the officiating priest. The church was dedicated in 1873. There are forty families connected with it, and forty five scholars attend the church school.
The town is apportioned into eleven whole and joint districts. There are seven schoolhouses, valued at $6,900. The total number of scholars is 713. Eleven teachers are employed in the common schools. The amount of money expended in schools in 18»0 was 1,554.
Although at the breaking out of the war Addison was mostly peopled by Germans, having none of the traditionary patriotism that springs from a long line of American ancestry, they nevertheless showed the more sterling virtue of loyalty to duty, and determination to defend to the utmost the country of their adoption. The town raised during the war $25,503 for war purposes. The rolls at Malison give the names of thirty eight soldiers from the town who did personal service. The list appears in the history of the county. Carl Karsten, of West Bend, furnishes the following creditable report of the Addison soldiers who served with him in the Washington County Rifles, Company. G, Twenty sixth Wisconsin Volunteers:
Sergeant—Henry Blenker, wounded and discharged.
Corporals—John Schultz, promoted to Sergeant, wounded; Henry Guenther, killed at Chancellorville; John H. Guenther, wounded.
Privates—Peter Dellenback, wounded; George Dellenback, wounded at Gettysburg, afterward killed: Bernhart Daul. wounded and missing; John Fitting, wounded; Ferd Fritz, killed; Louis Gmsshamm, Jacob Heintz wounded; Eugene Hook, wounded: Samuel Johnson, died; Conrad Mack, died; Henry Miller wounded; John Ritger, killed ; Cyrus W. Shafer, wounded; Charles Sohuh, promoted to Corporal; Joseph Sohuh, Fred Silsdorf, killed; Robert Salter, died ; Albert Story, taken prisoner; George Schuh, wounded; Matthias Strupp, wounded; William Seri, wounded ; Andrew Stubanes, wounded; Henry Trensel, promoted to Corporal; Peter Ulweling.
The nearest railroad connections with the town are with the Chicago & North Western Railway at West Bend and the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway at Hartford. The grain and other farm products find a market at these two points.
There are two sawmills in the town. The steam mill at Addison Post Office, on Section 17, was built in 1870 by Mr. Keidel. It is now owned and run by Kuhaupt Bros. The only other sawmill in the town is an old mill located on a small stream on Section 20. It was the first mill built in the town, and is now owned by P. Strupp.
There are several stores. J. C. Kuhlman, Postmaster, at Aurora, Section 3, has a store ; also a cheese factory built the present year (1881), the first in the town. Its annual production will be 30,000 pounds.
At Nenno Post Office, on Section 6, is the church of SS. Peter and Paul, and the largest store in Addison, kept by M. N. Gehl.
Between Addison and Nenno, on Section 7, Charles Keidel keeps a store.
The population of the town in 1880, according to the census of the year, was 1,770.
The average crops of the town, as reported in the official returns of 1880 are: Wheat, 67,000 bushels ; corn, 51,000; oats, 51,000; barley, 20,000; rye, 4,000; potatoes, 15,000; apples, 15,000. This amount was raised from 10,046 acres of land. The town had 904 milch cows, and made 45,000 pounds of butter. There were 4,950 acres of growing timber, 210 acres of apple orchard, and 7,590 trees bearing fruit.
The present town officers (1881) are: Supervisors, William Ruscn, Chairman, Leverin Esser, Valentine Illian ; Town Clerk, August Schalfer; Treasurer, John Folger; Assessor, Gottlieb Nefzer.
There were three post offices in the town in 1881—Aurora, Section 12; Addison, Section 17, and Nenno, Section 7.
History Index --- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails