Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Biographies


Henry M. Ackley
(Tenth District – Waukesha county.  Population 28,957.)
HENRY M. ACKLEY (Dem.), of Oconomowoc, was born in Ellisburgh, Jefferson county, N. Y., January 12, 1827; received a common school education; came to Wisconsin in 1857 and settled at Oconomowoc; is a merchant by occupation; has held several local offices and was a delegate to the democratic national convention at Cincinnati in 1880; was elected state senator for 1882 and ’83, receiving 2,392 votes against 1,702 votes for Vernon Tichenor, republican, 104 for A. H. Craig, greenbacker, and 374 for J. L. Ingersoll, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 531; transcribed by Mary Saggio]

Winchel D. Bacon
WAUKESHA: Winchel Dailey Bacon was born at Stillwater, Saratoga County, New York, on the banks of the beautiful Hudson River, in the family residence which was built at so early a day that the nails, including those used for shingling, were wrought iron, made by hand. The house was lined with imported brick. His grandfather, Samuel Bacon, senior, was one of three brothers who immigrated from England and settled in Connecticut, and afterward removed to Stillwater, New York, before the revolution, taking up a tract of land which became noted as a part of the battle-ground of General Gates with General Burgoyne in October 1777, where the latter general suffered a signal defeat, losing his favorite officer, General Frazier, a calamity which so dispirited the British army that in a few days it surrendered. His father, Samuel Bacon, junior, inherited a portion of the homestead, including the family residence, and followed the occupation of farming. His mother's maiden name was Lydia Barber Dailey. He was born in the same house where his father was, and worked on the farm until nineteen years of age; then went to Troy, New York, twenty-two miles from home, and, obtaining a situation, served as clerk in a store for two years. In 1837, his father having sold the old homestead and having purchased another farm in Butternuts, Otsego County, Winchel accompanied the family thither and resumed farm labor. On the 4th of July of the next year he was married to Miss Delia Blackwell, of the town of Butternuts, and continued on the farm for four years, teaching a school each winter; and on the 2nd of September, 1841, collected his small accumulations, and with his wife started for the West, traveling from Utica to Buffalo by canal, thence by steamer to Milwaukee, and thence by team to Prairieville, now Waukesha. Being captivated with the country he immediately bought a farm, paying three hundred dollars down, all the money he had, and receiving credit for the balance, and was settled and sowed a field of wheat in September, within thirty days after leaving his eastern home. He taught school during the following winter, and before spring sold his farm, which was six miles southwest of Prairieville, and bought another only half as far from town. In the summer of 1842 he worked that farm and taught school in the village, walking to and from his farm daily, His crop of wheat harvested in 1843 yielded from forty to fifty bushels per acre, the crop of that year being the largest, per acre, ever grown in the State, except that of 1860, which fully equaled that of 1843, although the earlier crop was winter wheat and the latter spring. In the autumn of 1843 Mr. Bacon moved into the village and united with his brother-in-law, Mr. Charles Blackwell, in conducting the business of wagon making. They obtained their first spokes and seasoned oak timber from rails of fences where they could be found sufficiently seasoned for that purpose. Mr. Bacon continued to teach school until the spring of 1844, when, at the request of Mr. Edmund Clinton, he formed a partnership with that gentleman in the blacksmithing business, continuing wagon-making also until the autumn of that year. At that date Mr. Clinton purchased an interest in the local gristmill, and Mr. Bacon, not being willing to hazard the risk, dissolved the partnership with Mr. Clinton, and bought a lot at the corner of West Division and Main streets, where the Exchange hotel now stands. On that lot he built a shop, and with Mr. Blackwell still continued the business of wagon making and blacksmithing. On this lot was a two-story building, the lower floor of which was used for a store, while the second story, being fitted up by Mr. Bacon, was used for a printing-office, and there Hon. C. C. Sholes printed the "American Freeman," the first liberty-party paper published in the Northwest. In 1846 Mr. Bacon built a stone blacksmith and wagon shop, three stories high, with a cornice, which caused considerable talk, there being not more than two or three buildings of any kind in the place having a cornice. Continuing in this business about six years, he then traded his shops for a steam saw-mill at Brookfield, on the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien railroad, seven miles east of Waukesha, the road then being in the process of construction. In 1863 Mr. Bacon was appointed by President Lincoln paymaster in the army, and directed by General Andrews, chief paymaster-general, to report to Major Brown, stationed at St. Louis. Major Brown detailed Major Bacon to serve at St. Louis, but in due time he resigned, his private business compelling him to return to Wisconsin. In 1865 Mr. Bacon, with other citizens, organized the Farmers National Bank of Waukesha, and conducted it about four years, when, desiring to retire as much as possible from active business, he closed up the bank. During all these years he had continued his farming operations, and still conducts them, styling himself a farmer. He was hardly out of one department of business before another sought him. For several years he was general agent of the Northwestern National Fire and Marine Insurance Company, of Milwaukee, and held that position until June 1875. Politically Mr. Bacon was of whig antecedents. He voted for General Harrison in 1840. He afterward became a liberty-party man, and was active in his sphere for the success of emancipation. He was a member of the assembly in 1853, the session noted for the attempt to impeach Judge Hubbell. He was appointed one of the commissioners to locate a State reform school, which, through his influence, was located at Waukesha, he being made acting commissioner and superintending the erection of the first building. He was appointed several times one of the trustees of the Hospital for the Insane, and on finally resigning was appointed a trustee of the Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb. He was several times president of the Waukesha County Agricultural Society, and has filled several town and village offices, always receiving without seeking office. In religious sentiment Mr. Bacon is a Baptist. He is a member of the board of trustees of the University of Chicago, and also a trustee of Carroll College, located at Waukesha. He is a member of the Temple of Honor, the most popular and prosperous temperance organization of the day, and also of the Masonic fraternity, having taken the degree of Knight Templar. In the days of slavery he was wide-awake in aiding the fugitive slave, and knew all the blind ways of the underground railroad. No slave, having made his way to Wisconsin, was ever taken back south by the operation of the fugitive slave law or any other. Glover was captured near Racine by United States marshals and other slave hunters, and thrust into the Milwaukee jail, when fifteen thousand sons of freedom surrounded the jail, burst in its doors, and carried Glover away by daylight beyond the reach or knowledge of any of the cringing sycophants of the slave power of that day. Glover stayed, the first night after his rescue, at the house of Mr. Bacon, twenty miles from the jail. So successful was the escape that only four or five interested friends knew where he was. The wife of Mr. Bacon was Miss Delia Blackwell, of Butternuts, New York, their union dating July 4, 183S. They have three children living, and have lost two. Joshua, the only son, is a physician, of the firm of Kendrick and Bacon, and is one of the most promising young men of his profession in Waukesha County; Lydia Delia is the wife of George Barber, of Waukesha; Ida Julia is unmarried and lives at home. Mr. Bacon has always been a stirring, industrious man, courageous and determined, a bitter enemy of oppression and of abuses of every kind. He is a stranger to financial reverses and embarrassments, all kinds of business having prospered in his hands. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Colonel Sidney A. Bean
Colonel Bean was born at the Highlands, in Chesterfield, Essex County, New York, September 16th, 1833. With his parents, he came to Wisconsin, at an early period in its history. At an early age, he displayed powers of mind of no common order, and gave promise of future excellence which later years amply fulfilled. Completing a course of preparatory studies, he entered the University of Michigan in the spring of 1849, where he graduated in July, 1852, maintaining throughout his collegiate career a high character for scholarship and literary ability. In 1853, before he had completed his twentieth year, he was elected Professor of Mathematics in Carroll College, in the village of Waukesha, Wisconsin. By those who had the good fortune to be his pupils during the period of his professorship, his faithfulness and ability will be long remembered, and his successful labors as a teacher, added greatly to the reputation of the institution with which he was connected. Business interests imperatively demanding his attention, be was compelled to retire from his professorship and literary pursuits and enter commercial life. He founded the Forest City Bank, which required the most of his time and attention. He however, succeeded in snatching some leisure hours from the details of business, which he devoted to the study of language, and continued the same until he entered the army. Colonel Bean was a writer of ability, but was better known and appreciated as a public speaker, and in the Presidential campaign of 1856, evinced remarkable ability in the power and effect of his public speeches. When the rebellion broke out no man in Wisconsin was surrounded with more to make life pleasant, than Colonel Bean. No purer or more disinterested patriot ever made greater sacrifice of that which is dear to the heart. He at once tendered his services, which were accepted by Governor Randall, who was acquainted with the worth of the man, and commissioned him as Lieutenant Colonel of the Fourth Regiment. In entering the army, Colonel Bean sacrificed everything that makes life pleasant, a happy home, warm friends, and bright prospects of future honor and usefulness. Impelled by a sense of duty which he felt that he owed to his country, he relinquished all and girded on his sword, to engage in his country's defense. He followed the Fourth Regiment under the brave and gallant Colonel Paine, to Baltimore, to Ship Island, and was actively engaged with the regiment in the military operations which culminated in the capture and occupation of New Orleans. His military history is identical with that of the regiment from which he was absent but a short time, on leave of absence, up to the day of his death. After the regiment returned to Baton Rouge from Vicksburg, General Paine being under arrest, Lieutenant Colonel Bean was in command of the regiment, and participated in the hard fought battle at that place. After the death of General "Williams, Colonel Paine took command of the forces at Baton Rouge, and from that time, was mostly in command of the brigade, leaving regiment under the command of Lieutenant Col. Bean. On Colonel Paine's promotion as Brigadier General, Lieutenant Colonel Bean was commissioned as Colonel. In the Teche Expedition of General Banks, in the spring of 1863, Colonel Bean was in command of the-Fourth at the battle of Bisland, and displayed great ability and skill in the disposition of his regiment, they occupying a position in the front as skirmishers. In the terrible assault on the enemy's works at Port Hudson, on the 27th of May, Colonel Bean personally led his regiment through the obstructions, and across the open space in front of the works, which was filled with fallen trees, and was swept by the fire of the enemy, to the low ridge where his men found shelter, and from which they soon silenced the enemy's guns. In this assault the Fourth Wisconsin and its gallant Colonel, are entitled to all the honors, for with the exception of a few stragglers, no other regiment reached the position on the ridge. In a letter written on the day of his death, speaking of the terrible fire to which his regiment was exposed on the 27th, Colonel Bean said: It took time to make one way through the battles, being as we were, all the time, under the murderous fire of ten or twelve of the enemy's cannon, and of the infantry in the rifle pits. I cannot give any description of this fire, because as at Baton Rouge, I was perfectly unconscious of it. My anxiety to press my regiment forward and keep it in order wholly absorbed me. He spoke enthusiastically of his officers, particularly of those who were wounded in the action. He took 300 men into the field, about seventy of whom were killed or wounded. Like every brave leader, he loved the men who followed his lead, and the letter closes with the remark, "my admiration for the brave fellows is beyond bounds." Colonel Bean seems to have had a presentiment that death was near. On the 29th of May, he appeared to be in unusual good spirits. Just as he was about to mount his horse, however, to ride to the front, he suddenly, and to the surprise of those who were standing near him, became grave, looked upon the ground and became absorbed for several moments in deep thought. He then went to his tent and addressed a note to his Adjutant, which was afterwards found in his port folio, in these words: My Dear Wintermeyer: If I should not return to camp to day, you will please have my effects sent to my home in Wisconsin, and Louis with them. General Paine will obtain permission for my Orderly, Childs, to go in charge. He, Childs, should probably be discharged, if such is his wish. By doing this you will confer a last favor on your friend. He proceeded to the front, and in less than an hour, he was shot through the heart by a rebel sharpshooter. He died the death of a hero, with his face to the foe. His remains were recovered and sent home to Wisconsin, and were buried at Waukesha. His funeral was attended by a large concourse of people, besides United States officers and soldiers. We feel that our short sketch does not do full justice to the character and noble qualities of Colonel Bean, but we are assured that an extended memoir is in course of preparation by Professor Evans, of the Michigan University, who was favored with the personal friendship of Colonel Bean, and who will undoubtedly prepare a work which will do ample justice to the memory of the departed patriot. Two brothers of Colonel Bean also entered the service to contribute to the suppression of the rebellion. The eldest, Walter L. Bean, in the Twenty-eighth Regiment, fell a victim to the exposures and hardships of the service, and Captain Irving M. Bean, of the Fifth Regiment, is the only survivor. [Source: "The Military History of Wisconsin: a record of the civil and military;" By Edwin Bentley Quiner; Publ. 1866; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Ottmar T. Beeck
Ottmar T. Beeck, Ph. G., the junior member of the firm of Peters & Peeck, one of Milwaukee's leading drug houses, is a native of the Cream City, born there on Nov. 21, 1880. His parents were Charles R. and Caroline (Havel) Beeck, born in Berlin, Germany, Nov. 11, 1850, and at Manitowoc, Wis., Oct. 13, 1853, respectively. Charles Peeck emigrated to this country in 1869 and soon after landing located in Manitowoc, Wis., where he met and married Caroline Havel; they had six children, of whom three are still living. Mr. Beeck moved to Milwaukee some years ago, where he is a member of the Elastic Tire Fitting Company, of Milwaukee, and is also a traveling salesman and a member of the United Commercial Travelers. The maternal grandfather of the subject of this review was Anton Havel, a native of Bohemia ; his wife was Olga Winkler, who was born in Germany. They came to this country and settled at Manitowoc in 1850, and there they continued to reside all their lives. Mr. Havel passed to that shore from which no traveler returns in 1876, leaving his wife to continue the journey of life alone until 1887. Ottmar received his elementary education in the public schools, and was associated with Max Bartel four years. After finishing his course in college he again worked for Mr. Bartel four years, until April, 1905, when he engaged in the drug business at 2109 North avenue, in partnership with E. A. Peters, under the firm name of Peters & Beeck, where they conduct one of the most prosperous drug stores in the city. Mr. Beeck is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the Republican party. On Jan. 30, 1907, Mr. Beeck married Miss Alma Karsten, the daughter of Louis and Lisetta (Mohs) Karsten, who are residents of Milwaukee. One child has come to brighten the home of Mr. and Mrs. Beeck, Bernice, born on Nov. 22, 1907. With his wife, Mr. Beeck is a member of the Lutheran church, and he belongs to the Milwaukee Pharmaceutical Association, the State Pharmaceutical Association, the National Association of Retail Druggists, and is also affiliated with the Masonic Order, being a member of Independence Lodge, No. 80, Free and Accepted Masons, and the Wisconsin Chapter, No. 7, Royal Arch Masons.  [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II - Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Edward Blackwell
EDWARD BLACKWELL, manager of the Gull River Lumber Company, at Cooperstown, North Dakota, is a man of much business ability. He was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, August 25, 1863. Our subject's father, Charles Blackwell, was a native of New York, and was one of the pioneers of southern Wisconsin. He was a soldier in the Civil war, and died in a hospital at Memphis, Tennessee. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Jane Moon. Edward Blackwell was the youngest of four children, two sons and two daughters, and he was reared and educated in his native city, and at the age of sixteen years went to Topeka, Kansas, where he accepted a position with the Kansas Lumber Company, remaining in their employ three years. He then returned to Wisconsin for a short time, and then went to Fergus Falls, Minnesota, where he was employed with the John McCullough Lumber Company about one year, and then went to Sanborn, North Dakota, and from thence to LaMoure. He soon afterward traveled as lumber salesman through Nebraska, and in the spring of 1885 located at Cooperstown, accepting the position of manager for the Gull River Lumber Company, with which firm he has been connected continuously since. He has successfully conducted the business in that city, and is known as a man of good business principles. Our subject was married in St. Clair county, Michigan, in 1887, to Miss Mary Davis, a daughter of William H. Davis, a farmer of that county. Two children have been born to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Blackwell, named Lillian and Ruth. Mr. Blackwell is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Ancient Order of United Workmen. In political sentiment he is a Republican. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio]

William Blair
WAUKESHA: Hon. William Blair, a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, was born in the town of Dundonald, July 31, 1820, his parents being Bryce and Ann (Dunlop) Blair, industrious farming people. At the age of sixteen, with only an ordinary common school education, William immigrated to America, in company with an elder brother, and settled in the village of Mumford, Wheatland township, Monroe County, New York. There he learned the machinist's trade, at which he worked for about ten years. In the autumn of 1845 he closed his affairs in the East and settled permanently in Waukesha, Wisconsin. There he commenced the manufacture of threshing machines, in company with A. McLachlen, who sold out his interest to Amos Smith at the end of about eleven years. Six years later Mr. Blair bought out Mr. Smith, and since then has conducted the business in his own name. He still manufactures threshers, but on a very limited scale, paying more particular attention to the repairing of agricultural implements and machines, doing an extensive business in this line. He is also engaged in the manufacture of woolen fabrics, being president of the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company, which consumes about one hundred and fifty thousand pounds of wool annually. He has been president of the Waukesha National Bank since 1865, and a director since its organization, more than twenty years ago. Mr. Blair has a farm of about six hundred acres, one mile from the village of Waukesha, on which he lives, and of which he has had the care until the present year, his second son, George B., now having charge of it. His eldest son, Frank C, takes the principal charge of the manufacturing and repairing shops. Mr. Blair was president of the village for six or eight years, chairman of the town board nearly as long, and a member of the senate in 1864, 1865, 1872, 1873, 1876 and 1877. He was chairman of the committees on banks and banking and public lands during most of the sessions, and while in this capacity did his most valuable work on the first-named committee. Few men more practical, or of better judgment have recently been found in that body. Mr. Blair has acted with the republican party since it had a name, and has long been a leader in political matters in his part of the State. He has been twice married: first, to Miss Nancy M. Emmons, of Le Roy, New York, who died in May 1859; to his present wife. Miss Henriette A. Emmons, a sister of the first wife, he was married in June 1860. He had three children by the first wife and has two by the second. Pecuniarily Mr. Blair is perfectly independent, and having sons old enough to manage certain branches of his business, he is gradually shifting responsibilities off his own shoulders and learning to lessen his cares. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Robert Boyd, D.D.
WAUKESHA: The subject of this brief biography, the pastor of a church whose house of worship he has not been able to enter for nearly ten years, and who has written and had published nine distinct works while lying on his bed paralyzed in his lower limbs, is a native of Scotland, and was born at Ayrshire, on the 24th of August, 1816. His parents were John Boyd, a woolen manufacturer, and Elizabeth nee McLean. The Boyd family is descended from Earl Boyd, who was beheaded during the rebellion under the Stuart dynasty. Robert spent his early years at school, and lost his father when about half through his educational course; being thus thrown upon his own resources, he resorted to temperance lecturing in order to acquire means for continuing his studies. He was the first person in the west of Scotland to publicly advocate teetotalism. He was then about twenty years of age, and being quite young in appearance, and speaking occasionally from the pulpit on Sundays, was called the "Boy Preacher," curiosity drawing crowds to hear him. He finished his literary education at the Glasgow College. Later, he studied theology with different clergymen, there being no seminaries for such a purpose in those days, and was ordained as a Baptist minister in the city of Stirling, Scotland, in the autumn of 1840. There he preached until 1843, when he crossed the ocean and became a pastor at Brockville, Canada, continuing there about seven years, and then removing to London in the western part of the Dominion. There he was pastor of the Baptist Church about seven years, when, being partially out of health, he removed to Waukesha, Wisconsin, where he had a home left to his wife, and where he rested a few months. While in Canada he labored very hard. Aside from the cares and responsibilities of filling the pulpit and supplying the pastorate, he had the oversight of the building of a house of worship in each place where he was settled, and did considerable lecturing on temperance and other subjects. In the summer of 1856 Dr. Boyd was invited to become pastor of the Edina Place Baptist Church, of Chicago (the present name of the street is Third Avenue). The church was afterward known as the Wabash Avenue, and is now the Michigan Avenue Baptist Church. When he began his pastorate the church numbered fourteen members, and when he resigned in 1863, it then being on Wabash Avenue, it numbered about three hundred. Before leaving Chicago his lower limbs became partially paralyzed, so that he was obliged to sit while preaching. Returning to his home in Waukesha, he preached in the Baptist Church for four years in a sitting posture, being carried to and from his pulpit. Finally, in 1867, he took his bed, and has had his clothes on hut once in more than nine years. His disease is very gradually working upward, having reached within two or three inches of his heart and lungs. His head is not in the least affected, and he retains all his original vigor and clearness of thought, and mentally, few people are more active. Before taking his bed Dr. Boyd had published one volume called "Glad Tidings," an eminently religious work, which has passed through about thirty editions. During the last nine years he has averaged one volume a year; his works in the order of publication being, "None but Christ," "Young Converts," "Food for Lambs," "Grace and Truth," "Wee Willie," "The Good Shepherd," and "My Inquiry Meeting." A tenth work recently prepared, "Comfort for the Afflicted," is now in press. During these years of bodily affliction Dr. Boyd has been a frequent contributor to the religious press, and was never more busy in that direction than at this time (the spring of 1877). Most of his writings are eminently instructive, and have a highly devotional tendency. They are fragrant with the aroma of a sanctified spirit patiently and cheerfully waiting the call from on high to come home. A sweeter example of Christian resignation is rarely seen. The wife of Dr. Boyd was Miss Christina Forbes, of Stirling. Their union occurred April 6, 1840. They have had nine children, all daughters, and have lost three of them. Mary, the eldest of the living, is the wife of the Rev. Dr. C. L. Thompson, of Chicago; Lizzie is the widow of the late Somerville Thompson, of Chicago; Christina is the wife of Professor Bastian, of the University of Chicago; Jessie is the wife of Floyd C. Babcock, an attorney of Milwaukee; Ida is the wife of Harvey C. Olin, a bookkeeper at the Chicago Stock-yards; and Lilly is unmarried and lives at home, being about to graduate from Carroll College, Waukesha. Mrs. Boyd is a model Christian mother, and a helpmeet in the noblest sense to her afflicted husband. Dr. Boyd received his title of Doctor of Divinity from Shurtleff College, in June, 1859. He is still associate pastor of the Baptist Church in Waukesha, his people refusing to accept his resignation. Their frequent and liberal benefactions are a token of the high esteem in which he is held. All the people of Waukesha are very kind to him, and he has thoroughly tested the rich benefits of living in a warmhearted Christian community. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

John F. Buckley
JOHN F. BUCKLEY (Rep.) was elected to the assembly in 1916, a year after his graduation from the law school, University of Wisconsin, and was re-elected in 1918, receiving 1,761 votes to 1,454 for George L. Dwinnel (Dem.), and 162 for George Gollwitzer (Soc). He was born in Waukesha, Feb. 10, 1892, was educated in the parochial school, Waukesha high school, Carroll college and University of Wisconsin, and since his graduation from the latter has been successfully practicing law in his home city. He is a member of the judiciary committee and chairman of the committee on rules.  [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 505; transcribed by FoFG]

Frank E. Buestrin
Frank E. Buestrin, is a native of the Cream City, and was born on Oct. 14, 1864, the son of Henry and Catharine (Bloss) Buestrin. He is of pure German lineage, and his paternal grandfather came to America from Prussia in the year 1839 and settled in Milwaukee. (For other remarks concerning our subject's ancestry, see sketch of his father, Henry Buestrin.) He was educated in the public schools of Milwaukee and in the Spencerian Business College of the same city. Upon leaving school he learned the carpenter's trade, and in 1876 became associated with his father in the general contracting and building business. After his father's death in 1893 the business passed into the hands of his sons, Frank E., Henry F., and August H., who have since conducted it under the firm name of Henry Buestrin & Sons. Mr. Buestrin has always been affiliated in politics with the Republican party, and in the spring of 1894 a number of his political friends prevailed upon him to accept the nomination of alderman, to represent the Seventh ward. He was elected and earned for himself the general commendation of his associates in the council, and of his constituents, by reason of his business-like conduct of affairs and his conscientious attention to his official duties. He served as a member of the committees on schools and railroads, and was chairman of the committee on City Hall and Library. Both his public and private career have been clean, honorable and successful; he is straightforward in all his dealings with his fellow men, and richly deserves the public recognition of his worth and standing which he has received. He has been president of the Builders' and Traders' Exchange. He was married on Nov. 21, 1893, to Miss Paula, daughter of Ferdinand and Julia (Grossenbach) Reuter, of Milwaukee, and is the father of two children, Frank and Margaret by name. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II - Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

William B. Cashing
Cashing, William B., naval officer, was born Nov. 24, 1842, in Delafield, Wis. He was actively engaged in the civil war on the North Atlantic blocking squadron; and attained the rank of commander. He died Dec. 17, 1874, in Washington, D.C. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

E. W. Chafin
E. W. CHAFIN, Waukesha, was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, November 1, 1852, and is self-educated. He was a member of the State University law class, which was graduated in 1875. The year succeeding his graduation he opened an office in Waukesha, where he has since been in practice alone. In 1876 he published the Voters’ Hand-Book. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]

Knud C. Clauson
Knud C. Clauson, a well-known painter of the Cream City, was born in Arendal, Norway, on Dec. 18, 1845, a son, Knud and Annabel Clauson. He comes of a mixture of the best Dutch and Norwegian stock, his grandfather, Clarence Clauson, having removed from Holland to Norway when a young man and there married a native Norwegian woman. His father, Knud Clauson, was a captain in the Norwegian navy and was twice captured by the Swedish troops. He died while in the service of his country. An uncle was a captain on the high seas for many years, and commanded the vessel that went on the rocks in New York Harbor a few years ago, when both vessel and cargo were destroyed by the elements and the passengers and crew saved. Knud C. Clauson, the subject of this memoir, came to Milwaukee direct from Norway in 1883. For two years he worked as a sailor on a large lake boat, and then became engaged in the business which now occupies him. Although well advanced in years he is still in rugged health and attends his daily work as regularly as many another younger man. From his ancestry he inherited a capacity for work and a frugality that has made him one of the most valued citizens of the community. Although he has never aspired to office he has always been a stanch adherent of the principles of the Republican party, and in religious matters is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church. In February, 1873, Mr. Clauson was united in marriage to Miss Athalia Sederstrom, a native of Norway and a daughter of Peter and Christina Sederstrom. To this union have been born four children, Henry A., Peter C, Clara and Edna A., aged thirty-three, thirty-one, twenty-one, twenty-seven and fifteen years, respectively. Clara is the wife of Ray Hanson, a prosperous grocer on Eleventh street, and has one son, three years of age. Mr. Clauson is one of the influential figures in the Scandinavian Benefit Society.  [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II - Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Alexander Cook
ALEXANDER COOK, Waukesha, was born at Sharon Springs, Schoharie county, New York, March 1, 1820. His parents were John R. and Maria Coon Cook. Mr. Cook was educated at Clinton, New York, at Hamilton College and the Liberal Institute at that place. He read law in the city of Syracuse, and was admitted to the bar in 1843. He came to Wisconsin in 1845, and in August of that year located at Waukesha, where he has been in the practice of law to the present time. He filled the office of town clerk two terms and was district attorney eight terms, and justice of the peace eight terms, having held one or the other of these offices ever since he came to Waukesha. He married Miss Nancy Stevens, of New York State, February 1, 1843. They had one son, who lost his life in the army, January 23, 1863. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]

John Francis Crawley
Beginning life for himself at the age of fourteen as a farm hand at ten dollars a month and his board, and since then hoeing his own row with assiduous industry and making his way slowly but steadily toward a substantial competence and a firm footing in the good will and esteem of his fellow men, undaunted by danger and undeterred by difficulties and adversities, John F. Crawley, one of the best and most successful business men of Aspen, exhibits in a forcible manner the value of pluck, determination and courage in the race for supremacy among men, and gives and impressive proof of the wealth of opportunity open to diligence, thrift and capacity in the American republic.  He was born on May 24, 1854, in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, the son of Michael and rose (O’Brien) Crawley, natives of Ireland who came to the United States in 1830, and located in what were then the wilds of Wisconsin.  There the father was prosperous as a laborer and reared his family of seven children, one of the eight born to him having died in infancy.  He was a loyal and active Democrat in politics and he and his wife were members of the Catholic church.  He ended his labors and laid down his trust on May 30, 1891, and his wife followed him to the spirit world on July 7, 1899.  Their seven surviving children are John Francis, James E., Mary J., Julia E., Wilsey, Joseph and Louis H.  The first born, John Francis, had but little opportunity for acquiring the education of the schools, since, as has been noted, he was obliged to goto work for himself at the age of fourteen as a farm hand.  His compensation during the first two years of his service was ten dollars a month and his board.  The money consideration was then raised to sixteen dollars a month, and at the close of his engagement he was getting twenty-two.  But he had aspirations above being a laborer for wages and about the year 1876 apprenticed himself to a butcher in Milwaukee to learn the business.  He began with a compensation of ten dollars a month, and four years later, at the close of his apprenticeship, was receiving twenty-five.  In the winter of 1880-81 he came to Colorado and located at Leadville, where he received good wages in the same occupation, and a year later, on January 4, 1882, he entered the business of butchering for himself in partnership with three others under the firm name of J. F. Crawley & Company.  They bought sheep in New Mexico and fattened them in the mountains near Leadville, after which they were slaughtered and sold as mutton.  Soon after forming the partnership Mr. Crawley moved to Ogden and opened a meat market there, his partner driving sheep for the business up from New Mexico.  The health of his family was poor at Ogden and he was obliged to return to Leadville.  Then being dissatisfied with the business outlook, after leaving his market for a time in charge of Mr. Morrison, he sold out to him, the two dividing the real estate of which they were joint owners harmoniously between them.  In 1892 Mr. Crawley moved to Aspen and purchased E. M. Dawson’s grocery.  He then formed a partnership with Grover W. Tobin and they added a meat market to the business.  The partnership continued until the fall of 1899, when Mr. Crawley bought his partner’s interest and he has since conducted the business alone.  By close attention to its requirements and good business capacity he has made a gratifying success of his undertaking and is now considered one of the leading business men of the county.  He is also interested in mining, having a number of promising claims of his own at Idaho Springs.  He has in addition his residence property at Ogden.  He takes an earnest interest in public affairs and warmly supports the principles and candidates of the Democratic party.  In fraternal circles he is connected with the United Workmen, the Woodmen of the World, the Red Men, the Wolf Tones and the Knights of Columbus.  He and his wife are devoted members of the Catholic church.  On February 5, 1884, he was married to Miss Maggie A. McKoen, like himself a native of Waukesha county, Wisconsin, and the daughter of Thomas and Ann McKoen, who were born and reared in Ireland and emigrated to the United States early in life.  Her father is a farmer in business and a faithful Democrat in politics.  His wife died in 1899, leaving two children, a son, John Henry McKoen, and Mrs. Crawley.  Since 1901 the father has made his home with Mr. and Mrs. Crawley.  They have two children, Francis Henry, and James Marshall. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado (Publ. 1905) Transcribed by Anna Parks]

Henry W. Dezotell
Henry W. Dezotell, a partner in the firm of H. Dezotell & Son, general merchants of Grand Forks, and also extensively engaged in farming, was born in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, November 5, 1857, a son of Stephen and Caroline (Getman) Dezotell, both of whom were natives of Jefferson county, New York, where they were reared, educated and married. In the early '50s they removed to Wisconsin, where the father became a well known and prominent pioneer farmer. He died in the state of his adoption in 1872, at the age of forty-five years, while his widow, surviving for many years, passed away in Chicago in 1915, at the age of seventy-seven. Henry W. Dezotell, the second of four children, attended the public schools of Wisconsin, pursuing a high school course in Monroe county. Later he removed to Brown Valley, Minnesota, where he became connected with the lumber industry and there remained in business until 1900, when he sold out and removed to Minneapolis. In that city he established a wholesale grain business which he carried on for nine years, and in 1909 he removed to North Dakota to engage in the real estate business. In that connection he traveled back and forth between North Dakota and the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, interesting prospective farmers and settlers in this state with its wonderful productiveness and limitless possibilities. While engaged in the real estate business he brought many people to North Dakota who might otherwise never have come and yet who, like Mr. Dezotell, have won prosperity during the period of their residence in this state. He personally became interested in agriculture and at the present time owns farm lands aggregating thirty-six hundred acres under cultivation, utilized for the production of grain. On each of his farms he has erected substantial buildings for housing his vast crops and he also utilizes the most modern and improved machinery for planting, cultivating and harvesting. In the harvest season he employs hundreds of extra hands to gather and thresh the new crop and his farms are indeed places where the hum of industry is continually heard. In 1913 Mr. Dezotell established a department store at Grand Forks which is one of the leading mercantile establishments of the city, being now carried on by his son under the firm style of H. Dezotell & Son, while the father largely gives his attention to the supervision of his agricultural interests. In June, 1879, Mr. Dezotell was united in marriage to Miss Ada L. Bigelow, of Tomah, Wisconsin, by whom he has a son, Claude E., who was born at Brown Valley, Minnesota, in 1881, is now married and acts as manager of the firm of H. Dezotell & Son at Grand Forks. Fraternally Mr. Dezotell is a Royal Arch Mason. He belongs to the Commercial Club and he gives his political support to the republican party. Since his fifteenth year he has worked his way upward unaided and is now one of the popular and prosperous citizens of Grand Forks, having important business connections which contribute to the general welfare and upbuilding of the district as well as to individual success. He early had the prescience to discern something of what the future had in store for this great and growing western country and, acting according to the dictates of his faith and judgment, he has lived to garner in the fullness of time the results of his labors and his sagacity. [Source: North Dakota History And People; Outlines of American History; Volume 3; S. J. Clarke Publishing Company; Chicago, 1917; submitted by Jim Dezotell]

Martin T. Draper
OCONOMOWOC:  Martin Thayer Draper, son of Frost Draper, a farmer, and Mary nee Thayer, was born at Uxbridge, Massachusetts, on the 22d of August, 1814. His grandfather, David Draper, was one of the first patriots to enlist in defense of the rights of the Colonies, and fought at Bunker Hill and in subsequent battles. His mother had ten brothers, most of whom were educated at Amherst College. But few of them, however, followed professional life. Martin received only a common-school education. He had a taste for mercantile pursuits, and became a general trader, sometimes in West India goods and dry goods, and at other times in lumber and coal, in different parts of Massachusetts. In 1843 he came to the West, reaching Milwaukee on the 5th of November; there he acted as an agent, entering and disposing of lands and collecting for eastern houses. He remained in Milwaukee nine years and then removed to Portage, where he lived about the same length of time, selling goods and acting as trustee and assignee for different parties; doing, at times, an extensive business in the latter line. In February, 1862, Mr. Draper removed to Oconomowoc and purchased what is now known as the Draper Hall property, though he did not open it as a hotel until 1869. The site is one of the loveliest for a public house in the State, being on a narrow neck of land, with Fowler Lake on one side within a hundred feet of the house, and La Belle Lake on the other only two hundred feet away, the waters of both being as clear as crystal. When Mr. Draper first opened the house to the public it had accommodations for lodging about twenty-five persons; he has enlarged it from time to time and erected several neat cottages only a few steps from the main building, and can now entertain comfortably more than a hundred guests. Oconomowoc has become a popular summer resort, and Draper Hall, open during the whole year, is usually crowded during four or five of the warmest months. The natural attractions of Oconomowoc it is difficult to match in Wisconsin, and Mr. Draper has done more than any other man to make it a favorite resort during the hot season. Families come here from the Southern States and spend four or five months. If Mr. Draper is popular as a landlord he is no less so as a citizen, having served a second term as mayor of the city. In politics, he has always been democratic. He rarely runs for office, but when he does, draws more than the party vote. He has very seldom, however, allowed his name to be used in connection with any office. He is contented to be a faithful private citizen and a first-class inn-keeper. Mr. Draper was first married in 1835, to Miss Caroline Watson, of Leicester, Massachusetts. They had two children, a son and a daughter, both still living. Mrs. Draper died in 1841. Edward F. is married and is a merchant in New York city; Cornelia M. is unmarried, and lives in Worcester, Massachusetts. Mr. Draper was united with his present wife in July 1844, and by her has a son and daughter, both of whom are at home. The present Mrs. Draper was Caroline Calkins, of Milwaukee, a woman of highly cultivated manners, good social qualities and very pleasant address. Her mother, now in her ninety-second year, is living with her, with mental faculties but slightly impaired, and still amusing herself with the knitting needles, which she learned how to use more than eighty years ago. Her maiden name was Bill; she is a descendant of John and Dorothy Bill, who came to Massachusetts about 1633. The Bill family in England has been traced back more than five hundred years. Some of them in the old country, as well as in this, were noted scholars and doctors of divinity. From the history of the Bill family, published in New York in 1867, we learn that on the 20th of November, 1558, the Sunday following Queen Elizabeth's ascension to the throne, Dr. William Bill preached at St. Paul's Cross; that he was soon afterward made Her Majesty's chief almoner, and in 1559 was elected provost of Eton College. He held at one time the positions of master of Trinity, provost of Eton, and dean of Westminster, a distinction, it is said, which no other person ever held. Mr. Draper has been a resident of Wisconsin for thirty-four years, and has contributed his quota of energy and enterprise in the development of the State, and has had his full share of satisfaction and pleasure in its growth and prosperity. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

W. H. Edwards
W. H. EDWARDS (Rep.) is serving his third term in the assembly and is chairman of the committee on taxation. He was born on a farm in the town of Lisbon, May 14, 1861, was educated in the common schools and Carroll college, Waukesha, after which he taught school for 15 years, 6 of which as principal of the school at Sussex. For the next 20 years he was actively engaged in the management of his large farm, retiring to his home in Sussex, Oct. 1, 1914. He served two terms as town clerk, ten terms as county supervisor, one of which he was chairman of the county board. He was elected to the assembly in 1914 and reelected in 1916 and 1918, receiving at the last election 1,488 votes to 1,148 for Charles L. Lacy (Dem.), 295 for Hugo E. Siewert (Soc.) and 33 for A. A. Grover (Pro.) [Source: The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) page 506; transcribed by FoFG]

James Everington
EVERINGTON James, Minneapolis. Res 400 Union st S E, office 821-823 Washington av S E. Manufacturer. Born Sept 25, 1849 at Huddersfield England, son of James e and Hannah (Schofield) Everington. Married Aug 8, 1877 to Agnes S Wright. Educated in the public schools at Root Creek Wis. Reared on farm; employed 1 year in a lawyer’s office; in milling business with father at Eagle Wis; foreman of elevator for Chicago Milwaukee & St Paul Ry Co at Minneapolis 1882-84; supt Pillsbury and Pillsbury-Washburn elevators and head of cash wheat dept 1884-1904; member Manuel Smith Heating Co mnfrs 1905 to date; treas Minneapolis Earnings Investment Co 1906 to date. Served in Milwaukee Light Guards; pres 8th Ward Garfield Club Milwaukee. Member Board of Directors Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce 6 years. Member Masonic fraternity, York and Scottish rites; Mystic Shrine, IOOF, AOUW and other fraternities; former sec S e Minneapolis Improvement Assn. [Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks]

Richard L. Gove
WAUKESHA: The present popular president of the village of Waukesha belongs to that class of citizens who believe that in building up and beautifying their town they benefit themselves. Hence such men are public-spirited and full of enterprise, and constantly planning to make attractive their village or city, as the case may be, that visitors and permanent settlers may be drawn thither. Waukesha has a score of such men — men who had foresight to see that this village must become a summer resort for pleasure-seekers as well as health-seekers; that with its natural advantages and a little wise expenditure of money it could be made one of the most popular resorts in the State. They therefore set themselves to work and made it such. Of the younger of this class of men none is more deserving of mention than Richard L. Gove. He is a native of Vermont, a son of Elijah Gove, a farmer, and Emeline E. Wright, and was born at Ludlow, June 18, 1833. Both his paternal and maternal great-grandfathers were participants in the long struggle for independence. In 1843 Elijah Gove immigrated to Wisconsin Territory, and settled on a farm at Waukesha. Richard, now ten years old, and having an independent, self-reliant spirit, with his father's consent resolved to take care of himself with this in view he became a clerk in a store, with a salary of twenty-five dollars and board for the first year, with the privilege of attending school a certain amount of time. His salary was raised from year to year, and he acted as clerk for several years, attending school four or five months in a year — always a tuition school—and defraying the expenses of the same out of his own funds. Prairieville Academy, now Carroll College, was then in its incipiency, and he attended that institution a few terms. Early in 1852 he spent a short time as clerk in Peoria, Illinois, and going thence to Detroit, Michigan, graduated from Gregory's Commercial College; and at the close of that year went to Port Washington, Wisconsin, and started the "Ozaukee County Advertiser," a paper which is still published. This he edited and published about eight years, and at the same time acted as postmaster, having received his appointment from President Pierce before he was twenty-one years old. He was holding that office in July, 1861, when, with a lieutenant's commission, he recruited men for the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, joined the regiment at Ripen, and was made adjutant of the same. He went to the front as a "war democrat," and probably no man who fought the rebels despised more heartily their attempts to destroy the Union. He was mustered out with the regiment at the expiration of his term of service; but before this time, in 1862, he returned to Wisconsin, and with a little aid from sergeants recruited nearly three hundred men in about ten weeks to fill up its decimated numbers. It is doubtful if any more efficient recruiting was done in the State during that memorable year. On leaving the service in 1864, Mr. Gove returned to his first Wisconsin home, and there made a permanent settlement. Opening a boot and shoe and general furnishing store, he has since continued to conduct it with good success. He has also dealt considerably in real estate, in which he has had still greater success. Everything he touches seems to turn to money. He put up the beautiful Gove block, built of stone, in 1871, and has built and owned some twenty dwelling-houses during the last few years, half a dozen of which he owns and rents. He has an elegant residence on Wisconsin Street, with most of the attractive surroundings which taste can suggest and skill execute. Mr. Gove was elected president of the village in 1865, 1867 and 1877, and now holds that position, making a very active and efficient executive. He is thoroughly identified with all local improvements, and no one rejoices more than he in the growing population, wealth and beauty of the home of his adoption. Mr. Gove belongs to the fraternity of Odd Fellows, and has passed all the chairs. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and a liberal supporter of religious, benevolent and educational enterprises. On May 1, 1859, he was married to Miss Jennie A. Stone, a niece of H. O. Stone, of Chicago. They have five children: Ione, born October 17, 1860; Richard L., December 22, 1865; Jennie May, April 26, 1868; Fra Belle, March 13, 1870; and Jay, March 23, 1877. Both the parents of Mr. Gove are living in Waukesha, his father being in his seventy-seventh year, and his mother in her sixty-seventh. He has two brothers and two sisters; the brothers, Londus E. and Jesse M., being engaged in business in Milwaukee; Frances, the elder sister, is the wife of Hon. E. S. Turner, of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin, and lone is the wife of Col. Daniels, now of Washington, District of Columbia, and formerly State geologist of Wisconsin; the younger sister is an authoress, an elegant performer on musical instruments, and one of the most noted singers at the national capital. Mr. Gove has a light complexion, bordering on the florid, and bluish-gray eyes; is five feet and nine inches tall, and weighs one hundred and seventy-five pounds. He has a young appearance, and, though born in 1833, would be taken for a man under forty years of age. His manners are cordial his disposition social and lively, and he has the well-merited reputation of being a first-class entertainer. On public occasions, such as a Fourth-of-July celebration, or any gathering requiring superior marshalship, the headwork and general engineering 1 usually devolves on him, and he is equal to any emergency. Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Louis Hallbach
Louis Hallbach, one of the well-known furriers and rising business men of the Cream City, with an establishment at 454 Milwaukee street, is an American by birth, born in New York City, N. Y., on Feb. 29, 1872. His parents, Peter C. and Eva (Gatting) Hallbach, were both natives of Germany, who immigrated to the Lmited States. His father was a furrier in the old country and has continued that vocation since coming to America. Louis received his education in the public schools of Ken-tucky until he was sixteen years of age, and in 1888 began to learn the furrier's trade. Seven years later he came to Milwaukee to enter the employ of the Hansen Empire Fur Factory as an expert furrier. Mr. Hallbach was very ambitious and not content to remain in the employ of others for any length of time and in 1900 established himself in business in the Goldsmith building; but finding these quarters inadequate to conduct the business satisfactorily, he removed to 454 Milwaukee street, where he has continued to carry on his business ever since. He is a self-made man and his prosperity is due entirely to his tireless industry and business ability. His establishment is one of the finest ladies' tailoring and fur houses in the city and turns out only the highest class goods. Mr. Hallbach has built up a substantial house, due to his fair dealing and desire to please his customers. He is affiliated with no political party, believing it better to exercise his privilege of fran-chise to vote for the man who stands for national and municipal reform and clean politics rather than be bound by party ties. He is a member of the Royal League and is associated with the Knights of Pythias. In 1895 he married Miss Mate Peck, of Albany,   N. Y., and they have one child, Peter Francis, who is eleven years old. The family are members of the Roman Catholic church. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II - bTranscribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Henry Harnischfeger
Henry Harnischfeger, of the firm of Pawling & Harnischfeger, manufactur-ers of traveling cranes, and one of the largest manufacturing firms in the Cream City, was born in Germany. He is a son of Konstantin and Christina (Adrian) Harnischfeger, both of whom were born in Germany, the former in 1817 and the latter in 1818. The father conducted a tannery in the Fatherland, where he died in 1889. Henry Harnischfeger received his preliminary educational advantages in the public schools of Germany and in 1872 came to the United States, arriving in New York on April 9,he secured employment with the Singer Sewing Machine Company of New York and remained with that concern for more than nine years. At the end of that time he came to Milwaukee with the Whitehill Sewing Machine Co., being foreman of the milling department. In 1882 he became acquainted with Alonzo Pawling, who was in the employ of the Whitehill Company as a pattern maker. Mr. Pawling, in 1883, with Mauritz Weiss, opened a machine and pattern shop. They dissolved partnership in 1884, at which time Mr. Harnischfeger took over the interest of Mr. Weiss. Since then the firm has continued in business, first doing jobbing work, but later the business enlarged, and in 1889 the firm commenced the manufacture of traveling cranes. The factory is today one of the largest in the cityy Mr. Harnesch-feger's business ability, learned by close attention to business while in New York and by attending evening school, stood him in good stead in the development of his venture and has contributed in large measure to its success. He is independent of party affiliation in political matters, and is a liberal in his religious views. In fraternal and social matters he is prominently identified with the Deutscher Club, the German-English Academy, the Milwaukee Musical Society and the Milwaukee Turnverein. On Aug. 30, 1892, Mr. Harnischfeger was united in marriage to Miss Marie Kauwertz, a daughter of Frederick and Marie (Geyer) Kauwertz, of Milwaukee, and a grand-daughter of the late Rev. Mr. Geyer. Four children were born to this union, two of whom are deceased. The two survivors are Frieda, born Nov. 25, 1894, and Walter, born Dec. 23, 1895. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Rufus C. Hathaway
OCONOMOWOC: Among the citizens of Oconomowoc who have witnessed its growth from a town of one hundred inhabitants to a little city of three thousand, is Rufus Corey Hathaway, the present city clerk and county surveyor. He is the son of Wilbur Hathaway, a millwright, and Mercy nee Goodrich, and was born at Homer, New York, May 24, 1816. His paternal grandfather was a soldier of 1776. Hon. Milo Goodrich, member of the Forty-second Congress from New York State, is a brother of his mother's. At seventeen years of age Rufus began to learn the carriage makers trade, and at twenty began to attend the academy at Homer, alternating between working at his trade, teaching and attending school, for about five years. Being of a studious turn of mind he developed a fondness for reading and study, and in this manner employed all his leisure time. While working at his trade in Homer, when about twenty-five, he began to study law, but having to defray his own expenses, was much retarded in his studies. In August 1842, he removed to Beloit, Wisconsin, and read law a short time with his uncle, Milo Goodrich. He taught a school in Janesville the following winter; in 1843 returned to New York with his uncle and worked at his trade more or less, at the same time continuing the study of law at intervals. He paid special attention to music for several years, and learned to compose it. In 1848 Mr. Hathaway returned to Wisconsin and bought two hundred acres of wild land in Dodge County. He worked at his trade a short time in Milwaukee, and in the spring of 1849 made a permanent settlement at Oconomowoc. Here he built him a house, and shortly afterward engaged in surveying, a branch of science to which he had devoted considerable attention while in the academy. For some years that branch of business largely occupied his time, he being elected surveyor of Waukesha County several times, and now, as already stated, holding that office. Mr. Hathaway continued his study of law at odd intervals, and about 1862 was admitted to the bar of Waukesha County. He practices in the circuit court and in the supreme court of the State. Prior to 1862 he had done business in the justice court. Much against his disposition he has had several offices thrust upon him — offices, most of which he did not want. He has been supervisor several times and was chairman of the board one or two years. Was town clerk several times; district attorney in 1869 and 1870, in order to take which he resigned the office of justice of the peace; and is now city clerk. Other offices he has been urged to accept, but peremptorily declined them. Those which he has accepted he has filled in a very satisfactory manner. As a business man he is practical, prompt, accurate, reliable; and though a democrat, the votes which he receives when a candidate are limited to no one party. Miss Flavilla Jane Hobert, of Homer, New York, became his wife in August, 1845. They have had seven children, four of whom are now living, two sons and two daughters, the last two being married. Emma, the elder, is the wife of Wallace Hastings, and lives near Oconomowoc; Lizzie is the wife of Horace Hastings, and lives in Iowa. Mr. Hathaway is a plain appearing man, frank and cordial, genial-hearted, public-spirited, and an excellent citizen. During the first ten or fifteen years of his residence in Oconomowoc he continued to pay much attention to music, and was at one time the leader of a brass band, and while teaching the members, arranged all the music for the several parts. Latterly he has paid little attention to this branch of science, though he has a fine ear for the "concord of sweet sounds." [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Hon. Edwin Hurlbut
OCONOMOWOC: Edwin Hurlbut is a son of Philander Hurlbut, an attorney and farmer, and Julia nee Thomas, and was born in Newtown, Connecticut, October 10, 1817. Both of his grandfathers fought for American liberty, and his father participated in the War of 1812-15. The family moved to Bradford County, Pennsylvania, when Edwin was about seven years old. There he remained about eight years, and enjoyed the literary advantages of a common school. At the end of that time he started for New Jersey, walking all the way to Newark, where he had an uncle, with whom he lived a year, and soon afterward started westward. He stopped a short time in Eaton County, Michigan, and afterward returned to the East and studied law at Lodi, Seneca County, New York. Removing to Towanda, Pennsylvania, in 1842, he resumed the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in 1847. He returned to Michigan the same year, settled at Mason, Ingham County, and commenced his practice. He was appointed postmaster at that place in 1848; district attorney the same year, and a little later received from Governor Ransen the appointment of judge advocate in the State militia, with the rank of colonel. In April 1850, Colonel Hurlbut settled at Oconomowoc, where he has been in the steady and successful practice of the law for twenty-seven years, most of the time in the United States court, as well as the circuit and supreme courts of the State. During the first year of his practice in Wisconsin he was appointed attorney of the Milwaukee, Watertown and Madison plank road; was elected district attorney in 1856, holding the office two years, and in 1858 was appointed attorney for what was then known as the Milwaukee, Beaver Dam and Baraboo railroad, now a branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul road, and held that position several years. At the opening of the rebellion, in the spring of 1861, Colonel Hurlbut was appointed colonel on Governor Randall's staff. He was very active in recruiting soldiers for the Union army, and contributed liberally to the war fund, and afterward gave his services gratuitously in procuring pensions and bounties. He went to Washington with the 4th Wisconsin Infantry, and had a position in the State commissary department. He had the inspection of troops, and before the close of the year was appointed by the governor aide as commander-in-chief with the rank of colonel. In 1862 he was appointed deputy United States marshal with provost marshal's powers. He was tendered the colonelcy of one of the Wisconsin regiments, but declined, the historian says, "because the army was being officered by politicians rather than by soldiers." Colonel Hurlbut was a member of the general assembly in the session of 1869, He was chairman of the committee on federal relations, and on two or three other committees, and was one of the hardworking and influential members of the legislature. The next year Governor Fairchild appointed him to represent himself at the International Congress on penitentiary and reformatory discipline, of which congress Rutherford B. Hayes was president. Colonel Hurlbut is known as a humanitarian, and in 1872 was appointed a delegate to the International Penitentiary Congress, which met in London. Two years later he was a member of the National Prison Congress, held in St. Louis, and was made one of its trustees and put on the committee on criminal law reform. In 1875 he became a trustee of the National Prison Association of New York, and was placed on the committee on discharged convicts. Colonel Hurlbut has held various offices in the village and city of Oconomowoc, one of them being that of clerk of the school board, which he had about twelve years, and during that time was the prime originator of the excellent school system of the city. He was a member of the board of managers of the State Industrial School, located at Waukesha, and did good service while acting in that capacity. In politics Colonel Hurlbut was a democrat until 1854, when he aided in forming the republican party at Madison. He acted with this party until 1872, when he supported Horace Greeley for the Presidency; since that time he has been known as a reformer. It was by the reform party that he was elected district attorney of Waukesha County in 1873. He is editor and proprietor of the "Wisconsin Free Press," a weekly newspaper published in Oconomowoc, and devoted to the interests of the reform party. It is a large and ably conducted journal. He is a member of Waukesha Chapter, No. 37, of the Masonic fraternity; is a Baptist in religious sentiment, and has long been an active and strong advocate of temperance, and was grand worthy patriarch of the State in the Order of Sons of Temperance in 1853; and is usually a leader in movements tending to improve the condition of the unfortunate or raise the fallen. As a citizen he has few peers in usefulness, while as a lawyer he is, in every sense of the word, a success. He has probably the largest and best law library in Waukesha County. Colonel Hurlbut was married in October, 1840, to Miss Chandler, of Seneca County, New York, and by her has three daughters. She died April 6, 1864. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Edwin Hurlbut
EDWIN HURLBUT, Oconomowoc, is a son of Philander Hurlbut, an attorney and farmer, and was born in Newton, Connecticut, October 10, 1817. Both of his grandfathers fought in the American revolution, and his father participated in the war of 1812 and 1815. The family moved to Bradford county, Pennsylvania, when Edwin was about seven years old. There he remained about eight years, and enjoyed the educational advantages that a common school afforded. At the end of that time he started for New Jersey, walking all the way to Newark, where he lived a year, and then started westward. He tarried a short time in Eaton county, Michigan, and afterward returned to the East and studied law at Lodi Seneca county, New York. Proceeding to Towanda, Pennsylvania, in 1842, he resumed the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in 1847. He returned to Michigan the same year, and settled at Mason, Ingham county, and commenced practice. He was appointed postmaster at that place in 1848, district attorney the same year, and a little later received from Governor Ransen the appointment of judge advocate in the state militia with the rank of colonel. In April, 1850, Colonel Hurlbut settled at Oconomowoc, where he has been in the practice of law twenty-seven years. During the first year of his practice in Wisconsin he was appointed attorney of Milwaukee, Watertown & Madison plank-road; was elected district attorney in 1856, holding the office two years, and in 1858 was appointed attorney for what was then known as the Milwaukee, Beaver Dam & Baraboo railroad, now a branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul road, and held that position several years. At the opening of the rebellion, in the spring of 1861, Colonel Hurlbut was appointed colonel on Governor Randall’s staff, and was active in recruiting soldiers for the Union army. He went to Washington with the Fourth Wisconsin Infantry, and had a position in the state commissary department, had the inspection of troops, and before the close of the year was again appointed governor’s aid. In 1862 he was appointed deputy United States marshal, with provost marshal’s powers. He was tendered the colonelcy of one of the Wisconsin regiments, but declined.
Colonel Hurlbut was a member of the general assembly in the session of 1869. He was chairman of the committee on federal relations, and a member of other committees. The next year Governor Fairchild appointed him to represent the governor at the international congress on penitentiary and reformatory discipline, of which congress Rutherford B. Hayes was president. Colonel Hurlbut is known as a humanitarian, and in 1872 was appointed a delegate to the International Penitentiary Congress, which met in London. Two years later he was a member of the National Prison Congress, held in St. Louis, and was made one of its trustees, and put on the committee on criminal law reform. In 1875 he became a trustee of the National Prison Association of New York, and was placed on the committee on discharged convicts. Colonel Hurlbut has held various offices in the village and city of Oconomowoc, one of them being that of clerk of the school board, which he held about twelve years. He was a member of the board of managers of the state industrial school, located at Waukesha. In politics, Colonel Hurlbut was a democrat until 1854, when he aided in forming the republican party at Madison, with which he acted until 1872, when he supported Horace Greeley for President. It was by reform party, then dominant in the state, that he was elected district attorney of Waukesha county in 1873. He is editor and proprietor of the Wisconsin Free Press, a weekly newspaper published in Oconomowoc, and devoted to the interests of the reform party. He is a member of Waukesha chapter of the Masonic fraternity, and was grand worthy patriarch of the state in the order of Sons of Temperance in 1853. He was probably the largest and best law library in Waukesha county. Colonel Hurlbut was married in October, 1840, to Miss Chandler, of Seneca county, New York. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]

Ernst John Jahn
Ernst John Jahn, a prominent plasterer contractor of the Cream City, was born in Germany on June 30, 1862, a son of Albert Jahn, of that country. Two of his brothers saw active service in the Kaiser's army. Mr. Jahn received a limited education in the public schools of his native land, being obliged when but fourteen years of age to leave school to earn a livelihood. His first labor was as a teamster, an occu-pation which not only furnished him with a livelihood for six years, but also allowed him to secure a sufficient competence to allow him to fulfill what had been with him a lifelong ambition — to migrate to the United States. His coming was in 1884 and two weeks after landing he arrived in Milwaukee. He did not locate here at once, howev-er, but went to Concord, Jefferson county, and learned the mason's trade, which furnished him employment for three years. Upon his return to Milwaukee at the end of that period he entered the employ of Julius Sponholz, under whom he mastered his present trade. His connection with Mr. Sponholz continued for four years and then for the three years immediately following he worked as a journeyman for different contractors. In 1894 he engaged in the plastering contracting business for himself, and has met with exceptional success in every contract he has undertaken, contributed to in large measure by his skillful and thorough workmanship, his careful attention to details and his scrupulous honesty in dealing with his employees and his patrons. Among the contracts which stand as monuments to his ability are the West Division high school, the Public Service building, the Auditorium, the Normal school, the Tenth Ward school, the new north wing of the main hall of the University of Wisconsin at Madison, and the court-house at Baraboo. In his political relations Mr. Jahn is a Republican, but has never found leisure to become a candidate for public office despite the urgent solicitation of his many friends. His religious faith is German Lutheran, and he is one of the most loyal and devout members of and workers in the church of that society. On Sept. 26, 1884, he was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Srhraeder, a native of Germany and a daughter of Henry Schraeder. Eight children have been the issue of this union, and their names and ages follow: Reinhardt, a plasterer, twenty-four; George, also a plasterer, twenty-two; Rosa, eighteen; Walter, seventeen, a plasterer; Olga. fourteen, in school; Annie, nine; Minnie, three; Ernest, one year and a half. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]
 


HOME

Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails