Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Biographies


Albert Kendrick M.D.
WAUKESHA: Albert Kendrick, a native of Vermont, is a son of Adin Kendrick, for many years a physician, at Poultney, where Albert was born August 1, 1813. His mother was Ruth nee Marshall, and her mother was one of the brave women who lived in the times which "tried the souls of men." During the early part of the struggle for independence, hearing that the British were marching in the direction of her house, she took her two little children with her on horseback and fled toward Bennington. Before reaching that place the children became very hungry, and she stopped at a house which proved to be that of a Tory, and asked for a loaf of bread, at the same time taking out her money in order to pay for it. The woman of the house said she had no bread. As Mrs. Marshall passed out of the house in the dusk of evening, she espied a table set for the "red coats," and laden with bread and other provisions. She seized a loaf of bread, put her children on the horse, mounted the beast herself and made tracks for Bennington, feeding her little ones while under full gallop.  The grandfather of our subject, Samuel Kendrick, was for a time in the military service. When seven years old, Albert suffered the misfortune of having his right hand cut nearly off, and was so maimed as to unfit him for most kinds of manual labor. He was, therefore, kept at school through all his younger years, and finished his literary education at the Hamilton Seminary (now Madison University), New York. At seventeen he began to read medicine. He attended three courses of lectures at Castleton and Woodstock, Vermont, and graduated from the latter place when twenty years of age. After practicing about three years at Poultney, Vermont, and the same length of time at Ticonderoga, New York, and about sixteen years at Granville, in the same State, he, in June 1855, settled in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Dr. Kendrick is a modest, unassuming, quiet man, and, refusing all political preferment, is contented with a good standing among those of his profession, a good reputation for medical skill among the people of Waukesha village and Waukesha County, and a worthy name on the church records. He has been a member of a Baptist Church since about sixteen years of age. He is a nephew of Nathaniel Kendrick, D.D., once president of Hamilton Theological Seminary; a cousin of Asahel C. Kendrick, D.D., the eminent Greek scholar, of the University of Rochester, and father of A. A. Kendrick, D.D., president of Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, Illinois. The Kendricks are a prominent family among the Baptists in the United States. Dr. Kendrick is a liberal contributor to religious, benevolent and literary institutions. He has a fourth wife. His first two wives were sisters, Orpha and Martha Smith, of Ticonderoga, New York; he living with the former five, and with the latter twenty-five years. His third wife was Millicent Olin, of Waukesha. His present, Mary Tyler, of the same place. He had three children by the first wife, two of them still living, the son, already mentioned, and a daughter; two sons by the second wife, both living; and one child by the third wife, not living. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Frederick Ketter
Frederick Ketter, a prominent manufacturing cooper of the Cream City, was born in Weilburg, Hesse-Nassau, Germany, on Feb. 26, 1845. His parents, Frederick L. and Anna Maria (Goebel) Ketter, were both born in Germany in 1803 and spent their entire lives in that country. Frederick Ketter received the educational advantages afforded by the common schools of his native land and while still a youth served an apprenticeship in the cooper's trade. For several years he worked as a journeyman at his trade in different cities of the Fatherland, and in 1867 determined to seek his fortune in the New World. Accordingly he migrated to America and located in Milwaukee. He immediately found employment in his vocation and at the end of three years had accumulated sufficient funds to embark in the business on his own account. His inherent frugality and enterprise and his absolute integrity made the venture a success from the start, and from a small beginning it has now grown to be a concern of large proportions, employing about sixty-five men. It has been in its present location for the past fifteen years. Mr. Ketter is a Republican in his political affiliations, but the pressure of business affairs has restrained him from becoming a candidate for any public office, despite the earnest solicitation of his many friends. In religious matters he is a sincere believer in the creed formulated by Martin Luther and with his family is a regular communicant of the Lutheran church. Fraternally he is also prominent, being a member of Aurora Lodge, No. 30, Free and Accepted Masons; Columbia Lodge, No. 11, Knights of Pythias; Teutonia Lodge, No. 11, Sons of Hermann, and the Eichen Kranz Singing Society, of which he has been president eighteen years. On June 4, 1870, he was united in marriage to Miss Louise Goebel, and the children of this union were Albina, Ottilia, Alma, Frieda, Hedwig and Emma. The first wife died on June 2, 1883. On April 2, 1884, Mr. Ketter was united in marriage to Miss Fredericka Spankus, a daughter of Gottfried Spankus, of Milwaukee. Four children have been the issue of this union, namely: Olivia, Fred, Walter and Linda. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Isaac Lain
WAUKESHA: The Lain family emigrated from England at an early period in the settlement of the colonies, and settled on Long Island. The father of Isaac Lain was living in Orange County, New York, when the son was born (December 18, 1820), his occupation being that of a farmer. The maiden name of his mother was Deborah Alger. Isaac, the youngest of a family of nine children, aided his father until 1833, when the father died. He continued to work at farming until seventeen years old, usually attending a district school during the winter months. At that age he went to Chemung County, and worked five years with two older brothers at the carpenter's trade. In June 1842, he settled in Waukesha, Wisconsin, and there continued to operate as a house-builder and contractor for about ten years, doing, at times, quite an extensive business, and employing a large number of men. In 1852 he engaged in the real-estate and insurance business, adding manufacturing a few years later. He is now (1877) a stockholder in the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company, and is secretary of the same. He still does something in the insurance line. For about three years he has been in poor health, and was entirely disabled for a while, but is improving and able to oversee his business. Mr. Lain was a member of the general assembly in 1861, at the opening of the rebellion. Monday, April 18, had been set for the day of adjournment. The Sunday before the news of the firing on Sumter came. It was proposed to continue the session, and a few anti-war democrats tried to get out of town, but Governor Randall had seen the railroad officials, and no train left on Sunday night. The session continued another week or more; war measures were introduced, and before adjournment Mr. Lain was appointed one of the commissioners to go to New York and purchase arms. During the rebellion he was very active in encouraging enlistments and in various ways helping on the cause. He has held various local offices, and has been very faithful in discharging his duties; has been president of the village several times, and for a short time was one of the commissioners of the Industrial School, located at Waukesha. He was chairman of the county board of supervisors from 1866 to 1870, and now holds that position. Mr. Lain was a democrat until the republican party was organized. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been a Baptist communicant more than forty years, and is now clerk of the Waukesha Church. He is a warm friend of temperance, and active in all enterprises which have the best interests of man in view. He favors manufactures and everything that will build up the village of Waukesha. Mr. Lain has a second wife. His first, Miss Sarah C. Van Vechten, died in 1850, after being married a year and a half. To her sister, Rebecca J. Van Vechten, he was married in 1858; they have three children, two daughters and a son. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

William Langer
(Waukesha County – First District – The towns of Eagle, Genesee, Mukwonago, Muskego, New Berlin, Ottawa, Summit, Waukesha and Vernon. Population, 14,436)
WILLIAM LANGER (Rep.), of Waukesha, was born in Prussia, June 28, 1828; received a common school and academic education; is a jeweler by occupation; came to America in 1844 and removed to Wisconsin in 1855, settling at Waukesha; was trustee of Waukesha village 1870, ’71; president of village ’72; member of county board in 1872, ’79, ’80 and ’81; member of town board three years, and superintendent of poor three years; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 1,351 votes against 1,?84 for Andrew Snyder, democrat, and 24 for C. F. Sherman, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 562; transcribed by Mary Saggio]

Edward G. Lutz
Edward G. Lutz, the treasurer of the E. F. Adams Tobacco Company, of Milwaukee, is numbered among the progressive business men of the Cream City. He is a native of the Blue Grass state, born at Louisville, Ky., Aug. 18, 1871, of fine old German stock. His father was Edward Lutz, an American by birth, but descended from German ancestors, born at Lancaster, Pa., and his mother, Alary D. Lutz, was born and reared in Germany. Edward, the subject of this sketch, received the benefit of the training afforded by the public schools of his native town until he was thirteen years of age, when he went to work in the tobacco house of John Finzer & Brothers. He began at the bottom and by strict attention to duty, industry and perseverance worked his way up. He was promoted by the company a number of times from one important position to another until they made him assistant cashier of the firm. After occupying this important position for several years he accepted a more promising offer made him by the F. F. Adams Tobacco Company, of Milwaukee, to become assistant secretary and treasurer of that concern in 1902. Mr. Lutz's services proved so efficient that in 1906 he was promoted and assumed the duties of treasurer, which position he still holds. He knows the tobacco business most thoroughly and is regarded by his associates in business as one of the prominent men in the tobacco industry. On April 25, 1906, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Lutz and Elizabeth Ross Davey, the daughter of Congressman R. C. Davey, of New Orleans. One child has been born to them, a boy not yet two years of age. Mr. Lutz is a communicant of the Baptist church and is a well-known member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is the popular president of the Calumet Club. Mr. and Mrs. Lutz belong to the younger social set of the Cream City and dispense a gracious hospitality at their home.   [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II - Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

George W. Lyons
George W. Lyons, who after a career of many years spent in various occupations with more or less success, has firmly established himself in the real estate business in Wisconsin Rapids, was born in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, June 4, 1858, son of William H. and Sarah E. (Ryan) Lyons. The parents were natives of Brooklyn, N. Y., where they were married. About 1854 they moved to Detroit, Mich., and from there after two years to Waukesha County, Wisconsin, settling on a farm. Four years later, or about 1860, they transferred the scene of their agricultural operations to Adams County. In 1862 William H. Lyons enlisted for service in the Civil War, in the Eighth Wisconsin Battery, of which organization he remained a member until the close of the war, when he received an honorable discharge. He then returned to his farm in Adams County, this state, and besides operating it took up contracting and building. He was thus occupied until 1868, in which year he sustained a severe bereavement in the death of his wife. In the fall of that year, with his children, he came to Grand Rapids (now Wisconsin Rapids) and for three years subsequently was a pattern maker in the foundry of Rablin & Robb. In 1872 he went to Detroit, Mich., where he was united in marriage with Ella Austin. Later he went to California in which state he remained until 1878, after which he made his home in Chicago until his death in 1910. By his first wife, Sarah, he had ten children: William H., Jr., now deceased; John J., of Wisconsin Rapids; James I., of Chicago; Edward R., who died in 1921; George W., of Wisconsin Rapids; Sarah E., wife of Robert Gardner of Tomahawk, Wis.; Mary T. Delong of Spokane, Wash.; Dora, now deceased, who was the wife of C. H. Nisson and conducted the first millinery store in Centralia; Amelia, wife of Martin Nisson of Wisconsin Rapids; and Julia, who married F. W. Gamel, and is now deceased. Mr. Lyons' second wife, Mrs. Ella Lyon, is a resident of Chicago, Ill. George W. Lyons in his youth attended the Howe High School in Grand Rapids. In 1872 he fired a dry-kiln in the pail factory of John Rablin at Hurleytown. In the following year he became employed in a shingle mill at Barnum, Adams County, this state, and continued work there during three summers. During the winters he was employed in a shingle mill at Spencer, Wis., for James Robertson, one winter he worked in the Neeves' store, and from 1877 to 1879 he was employed at Port Edwards. In the year last mentioned he made an entire change of base, going to Chicago, where he opened a picture-framing establishment. This he sold in the spring of 1881 and returned to Grand Rapids, whence he went to Vesper, where he was engaged in packing shingles until the spring of 1882. His next move, made at that time, was to Brown County, South Dakota, where he made a pre-emption claim. In that county he also worked in a store one year and operated a restaurant one year at Columbia. In 1884 he made another move, going to Dickey County, North Dakota, where he took a homestead of 160 acres and remained six years. At the end of that time he went to Chicago, where for awhile he worked as a carpenter with his brother, W. H. Lyons, who was a contractor and builder. In 1891 Mr. Lyons returned to Wood County and established a general store at Cranmoor, also engaging in the business of buying cranberries. The village of Babcock being platted in the following year, he moved his stock of goods there and from that time until 1903 operated a general store in the village. During his stay in Babcock he purchased a tract of marsh land and had a crew of men gathering spaghaham moss, used by nurseries, of which he sold many carloads. In 1903 Mr. Lyons closed his store in Babcock, and, having brought his stock to Grand Rapids, entered into a partnership with William Gross, under the style of the Gross & Lyons Co., dealing in general merchandise. In 1908 they sold out to the Johnson-Hill Co. and in the same year Mr. Lyons engaged in the manufacture of chewing-gum in Grand Rapids, which, however, he was obliged to discontinue later, being unable to obtain the necessary material. From 1910 to 1915 he was engaged in operating a cafeteria in Milwaukee. It was in 1915-16 that Mr. Lyons entered upon his present career as a real estate man by erecting a fine three-flat building on the corner of Fourth Avenue South and Hale Street. The entrance of this country into the World War, however, so disturbed values and interfered with ordinary lines of business that he made no further efforts in that direction for awhile, but instead moved onto a farm near Kellner, where he remained for 18 months. The farm was then sold and he returned to the city and resumed the real estate business in which he has since been engaged. He belongs to the Blue Lodge of the Masonic order, also to the Beavers and the Woodmen of the World. He has a good business reputation for fair dealing and is a man with a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. On Sept. 18, 1895, Mr. Lyons was united in marriage at Babcock, this county, to Maude I. Wales, daughter of Vine and Amanda (Bailey) Wales. He and his wife are the parents of two sons, both of whom served in the World War, namely: Emerald C., born Oct. 20, 1896, and Howard R., born June 9, 1899. Emerald C., who is employed in the Biron Paper Mill, married Esther Gee, and has two children, Loraine and Emerald C., Jr., Howard R. is engaged in the phonograph business in Chicago. [Source: History of Wood County, Wisconsin (1923) compiled by George O. Jones, pages 505-506; submitted by Marla Zwakman]

John Mueller
John Mueller, a well-known and popular coppersmith of the Cream City, was born in Germany on March 24, 1874. and is a son of Michael Mueller. The larger part of his scholastic training was received in the public schools of the Fatherland, although after coming to Milwaukee in 1894 he spent one year in the public schools of this city in order to gain a more thorough knowledge of the English language. Having accomplished this end, he found employment as a coppersmith, which vocation he had served an apprenticeship at in his native land with Otto Pietsch. After four years of faithful service with Mr. Pietsch he severed his connection with him to accept a more lucrative position with the Gueder & Paeschke Company, with whom he remained for two years. For the following four years he was connected with the Allis-Chalmers Company, hut becoming convinced that he could gain a better livelihood by undertaking the establishment of a concern under his own name, he left the Allis works. His long experience as a coppersmith, his thorough knowledge of the vocation and his skillful workmanship immediately brought him many opportunities and since its inception the concern has done a constantly increasing business. Mr. Mueller is not allied with any of the existing political parties, believing that to exercise his right of franchise for the advancement and betterment of the city, state and nation, a man must not be bound by party affiliations. In religions matters he is an adherent of the Lutheran faith, and a devout and zealous member of the church. His only fraternal relations are with the Knights of the Maccabees. On June 25, 1898, occurred Mr. Mueller's marriage to Miss Lizzie N. Verner, a daughter of John and Mary Verner, of Milwaukee. Three children have been born to bless this union, Constantine, Fred and Josephine, aged ten, seven and three, respectively. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Mathias Nelson
NELSON, MATHIAS is a native of Norway, born on the 6th of January, 1837. His father died leaving his mother and three children who emigrated to America in 1847. They first settled in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, and remained until coming to this township [Morristown, Rice County, Minn.] in 1856, being among the first settlers. Mr. Nelson's brother, Nels, enlisted in the army in 1862, and never returned; his sister, Mary E., is married and lives in Lyon county, and his mother, Catharine Nelson, died on the 11th of June, 1881, in her seventy-sixth year. He was married on the 3d of April, 1864, to Miss Elizabeth Lind, a native of Germany. They have five children, two boys and three girls. He has been a school Director the past term. [Source: History of Rice County, Minnesota; Published by Minnesota Historical Company, Minneapolis, Minn. (1882) submitted by Veneta McKinney]

George Noller
GEORGE NOLLER (Dem.), of Lake Five, was born in Germany, February 2, 1843; received a common school education; is a farmer; came to Wisconsin in 1854 and located at Delafield, Waukesha county, removing thence in 1867 to Richfield where he now resides; has been town treasurer two years and has held other local offices; was elected member of assembly for 1883, receiving 891 votes against 651 for John Schroeder, independent. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 506; transcribed by Susan Geist]

Rollin C. Olin
OLIN, Rollin Carolus, physician; born, Waukesha, Wis.; Aug. 17, 1839; son of Thomas H. and Sarah A. (Church) Olin; educated in public schools of Waukesha until about 11; at Professor Root's private school, two years; moved to Northfield, Minn., and attended Minnesota State Normal School, 1860, and spring of 1861; graduate Medical Department, University of Michigan, degree of M.D., June, 1877; married at Syracuse, N.Y., June 15, 1887, Grace E. Hillis. Enlisted as private in Co. B, 3d Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, Aug. 12, 1861; commissioned 2d lieutenant, Sept. 12, 1861, 1st lieutenant, May 16, 1862, captain and assistant adjutant general U.S. Volunteers, Mar. 11, 1863; mustered out and honorably discharged, Feb., 1866. Taught school, 1859-61; book seller, 1867; bookkeeper in bank, 1865-72; grain buyer, 2873-74; has engaged in practice of medicine at Detroit since June, 1877. Homeopath. Member American Institute of Homeopathy, Michigan State Homeopathic Association, Practitioners' Club, Detroit. Member of Detroit Post, No. 318, G.A.R., and Loyal Legion, Michigan Commandery. Club: Old Club of St. Clair Flats. Recreations: Fishing and shooting. Office: 32 W. Adams Av. Residence: 110 Henry St. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Submitted by Christine Walters]

Ferdinand Paringer
Ferdinand Paringer, a prominent citizen and prosperous real estate and insurance agent, with an office at 616 State street, is a native of the Cream City, of German descent, born on Sept. 16, 1860, being the son of George Frederick and Anna Paringer, who immigrated to the United States in 1843, while this great state was still a territory, and located in the frontier town of Milwaukee. The elder Paringer was a contractor and real estate dealer who was one of the pioneers in that business in the city. The first home was on Prairie street and today it is one of the oldest land-marks. Ferdinand, the subject of this review, received his education in the schools of his native city, and subsequently entered the law office of J. V. V. Platto as a student, in 1877, but on account of ill health never completed his course. In 1884 the city council passed an ordinance providing for a secretary for the mayor and Mr. Paringer was the first incumbent of that office, under Mayor Wallber. He served until 1890, was reappointed in 1893 and served until 1898, under Mayors Koch and Rauschenberger. Upon leaving the service of the city Mr. Paringer embarked in the real estate and insurance business, in which he has successfully continued to the present date. He is a Republican of pronounced convictions and is a Protestant in his religious views. During the past ten years Mr. Paringer has taken a conspicuous part in the building up of the city and is regarded as one of its most worthy citizens. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II - Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Dr. Thomas J. Pendergast
Dr. Thomas J. Pendergast, of 862 National avenue, Milwaukee, Wis., is a well-known medical practitioner of the Cream City, who has achieved distinction in his profession by his enthusiasm for his work, his skill in diagnosis, and his superior qualities both as a man and a physician. He was born at Templeton, Waukesha coun-ty, Wis., on Nov. 30, 1863, the son of Michael and Mary (Lannon) Pendergast. His parents, who are now living in Milwaukee, are natives of Ireland, and came to Waukesha county during the forties, where Mr. Pendergast, Sr., settled on a farm. He is now living the life of a retired farmer. Dr. Pendergast is one of nine children, eight of whom are now living. He received his early education in the public schools of Waukesha, then attended Carroll College, Waukesha, and prepared for his profession in the medical department of Northwestern University, Chicago, where he graduated with the degree of M.D. in 1893. He then came to Mil- waukee, and has been engaged in successful practice here ever since. He is affiliated with the Democratic party in politics, but has never taken an active part in political campaigns, and has never sought or held public office. He was born and reared in the Roman Catholic faith, and is a devoted member of that church. He is a member of the fol- lowing fraternal organizations : The Catholic Order of Foresters, and the Knights of Columbus. Dr. Pendergast was married on Oct. 2, 1906, to a most estimable young lady of Milwaukee, Miss Emma, daughter of Joseph and Anna Amann, the latter of whom is deceased. The doctor is a well-informed man, a close student of his profession, courteous and affable in his intercourse with his fellow men, and enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

C. H. Plant
C. H. Plant, identified with farming interests, his land adjoining Vernon, was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in 1861, a son of Charles M. and Sarah Jane (Wright) Plant, who were natives of England. In the year 1858 they came to America, settling first in New Jersey, afterward living for a brief period in New York and later becoming residents of Wisconsin. From that state they removed to Utah, becoming residents of Salt Lake City in 1862. The father was a blacksmith by trade and thus provided for the support of his family, which numbered five children who reached adult age, while altogether he had nineteen children. Of those still living C. H. is the eldest. The others are Tacy T., Fannie E. and Katy R. William A., who also reached adult age, was killed by the kick of a horse when twenty-one years of age. C. H. Plant supplemented his early educational opportunities by a two years' course in the University of Utah, being a member of one of its early classes. He then took up the work of cow punching and was thus employed until 1891 in Idaho, Wyoming and Nevada. In 1889 Mr. Plant was married to Miss Anna M. Frederickson, who was born in Denmark but was reared in Salt Lake City and in Park City, Utah. They have become the parents of two children. Anna May and Clarence M. The daughter is now attending the Salt Lake Business College and the son is a second year high school pupil. Mr. Plant was married in Idaho and from that state removed to Aylville, Missouri, where he resided for a year. He next went to Hermosa, New Mexico, where he spent two years, and on the expiration of that period became a resident of Salt Lake, where he was employed by the Utah Hide & Live Stock Company for twenty-one years, acting as buyer and representing the firm on the road. He was afterward upon the road for four years as representative of Bissenger & Company and next took up his abode upon the farm whereon he now resides. His place comprises six hundred acres of land, thirty acres of which is irrigated, and he has also secured a homestead claim of three hundred and twenty acres. He is devoting his time and energies to the further development and improvement of his farm with good results. His place is the old home of John C. Sharp, one of the capitalists of Salt Lake City, and it was upon this farm that Mr. Sharp gained his start in the business world. He erected a large brick residence in 1888 that is now occupied by Mr. Plant and is one of the fine homes of this section of the state. The farm is in excellent condition and Mr. Plant is devoting his attention also to the development of a property of three hundred and twenty acres which adjoins the farm that is in his wife's name. Fraternally Mr. Plant is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, also with' the Illinois Commercial Men's Association and the Woodmen of the World. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and while upon the road he was an active worker in its ranks. While he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, he is now concentrating his efforts upon the further development of his farming property. [Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed & submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Stanislaus A. Rakowski
Stanislaus A. Rakowski, Ph. G., conspicuous among the young druggists of Milwaukee, conducts a store at 841 Tenth avenue. He is a native of the Cream City, born April 3. 1880, a son of Andrew and Pauline (Biesek) Rakowski, who immigrated to the United States in 1870 and settled in Milwaukee. The father was a carpenter by trade and soon after coming to the city engaged in the carpenter contracting business. He met with well-earned success and carried on his business until his death, July 17, 1898, at the age of fifty-six years. During his life he reared a family of eight sons and five daughters: Joseph, Valeria, the wife of Stanislaus Kamienski ; John, who died Oct. 9, 1908, at the age of thirty-seven, leaving a family of seven children; Frank, Robert, deceased; Mary, the wife of Peter Kaminski ; Catherine, the wife of Joseph Malich; Stanislaus A., Andrew, Michael, Frances, Bernard and Cecelia. Stanislaus, the subject of this sketch, was reared in his native city and received his preparatory education in the parochial schools of the city. Subsequently he attended Marquette College and began the study of pharmacy in 1804. In 1898 he received his first diploma, admitting him to practice as an assistant, and four years later, in 1902, received a full diploma. The same year he established himself in business at the corner of Tenth and Becher streets. Mr. Rakowski's trade increased and he found it necessary to find a larger building and has occupied his present fine store since 1905. On Aug. 8. K)o6, Mr. Rakowski married Sophia, the daughter of Anton and Mary (Rosewski) Szubert, of Milwaukee. The family are devout Catholics and members of St. Hyacinth's Polish Catholic church. Mr. Rakowski is a member of the Polish National Alliance, Stowarxyszenie Polskie, the St. Augustine Society, Polish Sharpshooters and the Sacred Heart of Jesus Society. He is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus and belongs to the Wisconsin Pharmaceutical Association. Mr. Rakowski belongs to no party, but exercises his privilege of franchise as his conscience dictates. He is always interested in questions pertaining to the welfare of the municipality and votes for the man he thinks best fitted for local and national office.  [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

Alexander W. Randall
ALEXANDER W. RANDALL was born in Cooperstown, New York, about the year 1819. After passing through his school days he read law. Soon after his admission to the bar he emigrated to Wisconsin, locating at Prairieville, now Waukesha. He commenced the practice of his profession with a fair show of success; but his love of political life was so great, and he devoted so much time to politics, that it interfered considerably with his legal practice. Mr. Randall was originally a democrat. He was always zealous in the cause he espoused, and a working member of the party in which he acted. His first office was that of a member of that first constitutional convention in 1846. He took a prominent position in that party. In 1848, when the free soil movement was inaugurated, Mr. Randall was prominent therein. He did not, however, long harmonize with that party, but soon fell back into the regular ranks of the democracy. In the fall of 1854 he was elected as an independent democrat to the assembly of the state. He became afterward a recognized republican, and in 1855 ran on the state ticket of that party for attorney-general, but was defeated. In the gubernatorial contest between Barstow and Bashford, he acted as one of the attorneys for the successful contestant, Coles Bashford. In 1856, Bashford appointed Randall judge of the second judicial circuit, composed of the counties Milwaukee and Waukesha. His judicial career was brief; for in 1857 he was nominated as the republican candidate for governor, and elected. He entered upon his duties January 1, 1858, and discharged them so satisfactory to the people that he was reelected in 1859. His second term carried him through the year 1861, - the first year of the war. He proved himself a very able war governor. The ability, energy, and boldness with which he labored for the service gave him a national reputation. In 1861, Governor Randall was a candidate for United States senator, but was not elected. At the end of his second term as governor, Lincoln appointed him minister to Rome. In 1865 he was appointed assistant postmaster-general. He afterward, upon the resignation of William Dennison as postmaster-general, was placed at the head of the post-office department, which position he held until the close of Johnson’s administration. This was his last official position. He died at his residence at Elmira, New York, July 26, 1872. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882) transcribed by Glenda Stevens]

Walter L. Rankin, A.M.
WAUKESHA: The subject of this brief sketch, the son of a missionary, is a native of northern India, and was born at Allahabad, May 7, 1841. His father, John C. Rankin, D.D., was sent out to Hindoostan in 1840, and his health failing, he returned to this country when Walter was about six years old, and now resides at Basking Ridge, New Jersey. The maiden name of Mrs. Rankin was Sarah T. Comfort, she being a daughter of Rev. David Comfort, for nearly fifty years a pastor at Kingston, New Jersey. Walter was educated at Pearl Cottage Seminary, Elizabeth, New Jersey, then under charge of David N. Pearson. He entered the sophomore class of Princeton College in 1857, and graduated in course, standing third in a class of about ninety, and having the English salutatory. Going to Basking Ridge, New Jersey, he there taught a select school, and among other pleasant tasks fitted two younger brothers to enter Princeton College. At the end of three years Mr. Rankin went to Elizabeth, New Jersey, and read law one year with Chancellor Benjamin Williamson. He then resumed teaching, and for two years was at the head of a graded school in Elizabethport, New Jersey. At this time he received a pressing invitation to go to Waukesha and take charge of Carroll College, and in February 1866, he was at the head of that institution. Originally it was called Prairieville Academy, and was chartered by the Territorial legislature in February 1841. In 1846 it received a new charter and took the name of Carroll College, and in 1852 was removed from a building on Wisconsin Street, now known as the Seminary building, to a new stone structure standing on a rise of ground half a mile south of the village. It is thirty-six by seventy-four feet, three stories high, with central projections in front and rear, and an observatory in the center of the roof. It stands on a lot of fourteen acres, overlooking the village, a very healthy situation, and in every respect pleasant and inviting. In 1850 the Rev. John A. Savage, D.D., of Ogdensburgh, New York, became president, and held that position thirteen years, traveling thousands of miles and raising thousands of dollars for its benefit. The first class in the college proper was graduated in 1857, and there were graduates for four successive years, when the rebellion and other causes thinned the ranks, and there were no graduates after 1860.

Dr. Savage resigned in 1863, the school having been suspended a short time before. Soon afterward the Rev. William Alexander, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, undertook to perform double labor, acting as preacher and conducting the school. His health, however, soon failed, and the school was again suspended. Such was the state of things when Mr. Rankin took hold of the institution and infused new life into it. His excellent abilities as an educator were soon discovered, and the friends of the institution rallied around it, and it has been gradually coming up, having become a first-class preparatory academy and normal institute. Every year it is sending out its students to Madison and Beloit colleges in Wisconsin; Monmouth, Illinois; Wabash College, Indiana; Princeton, and other colleges. To no higher than preparatory work does it aspire, and that work it does well. Some of the best scholars in the colleges just mentioned have been sent from this institution. Since Professor Rankin came to Waukesha, a debt of three thousand dollars has been paid, and something has been done toward an endowment. He is an active Christian, and exerts a very healthful moral influence over his pupils. He is an elder in the Presbyterian Church, and in many respects a very useful man. By his pleasant manner as a teacher, and his great activity as a citizen, he gains the esteem not only of his pupils, but also of all the better class of citizens.  Professor Rankin was married to Miss Mary Nickell, of Waukesha, July 9, 1867, and by her has had three children, two of whom are now living. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Pictorial Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Matthias J. Regan
MATTHIAS J. REGAN (Dem.), of Eagle, was born in the town of Eagle, Waukesha county, Wisconsin, February 16, 1848, and has always resided there, with the exception of two years at Waukegan, Illinois; received a common school education; is a farmer; was supervisor of Eagle in 1869; town clerk in 1870, ’71 and ’72; chairman of town board in 1877, ’78 and ’81; chairman of county board in 1877, and was a candidate for clerk of circuit court in 1877 and 1879; was elected assemblyman for 1883, receiving 2, 267 votes against 1,993 for William Langer, republican, and 533 for J. L. Ingersoll, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883), page 506; transcribed by Susan Geist]

Michael W. Ryan
Hon. Michael W. Ryan. Public officials who use their positions as vantage ground for securing the greatest possible good to their constituents are rare, and the citizens of Medford and Taylor county have shown their appreciation of the fact in the hearty endorsement that they have given this able and public-spirited gentleman. A prominent pioneer of the county, he was born in the far East, in Burlington, Vt., Dec. 10, 1847. The parents of Mr. Ryan were Stephen and Elizabeth (Gallick) Ryan, both born in Ireland, in county Tipperary and County Meath, respectively, though they met and married in America. Mrs. Ryan's parents died in Ireland, and she came to this country when only fourteen years old, with a brother and sister. Stephen Ryan came to the United States when a young man, and lived for a time in Burlington, Vt., but in 1850 started with his wife and family overland for California. On reaching St. Louis, he was taken sick and died there. His widow afterward married Michael Garrity, and is now living in Oshkosh, Wis., at the age of seventy-five. Michael W. Ryan was taken to Wisconsin by his mother when two years old and lived in Milwaukee until 1857. Thence the family moved to Waukesha, and there Michael entered public schools and began his education, in due time completing the course. Too young to enlist when war broke out, he did so later, and Jan. 1, 1864, was enrolled in Company I, 3d Wis. Cavalry. He served under Gen. Curtis in Gen. James Blunt's brigade, and took part in a number of battles and skirmishes, in all of which he acquitted himself with credit. The greater part of the time he was stationed on the frontier in the Southwest, and was there discharged, Sept. 29, 1865. Mr. Ryan was one of the pioneers of Medford, as he settled there in 1874. He was employed several years as foreman in a sawmill, and then took up the hotel business, which he followed for a long time. He built the "Exchange Hotel" and as long as he conducted it, it was the leading hostelry in the place. Much of his time has been spent in public service, and for the past thirteen years he has been connected with the post office. One of his business investments has been the erection of a two-story steel and brick building, to be used for store and residence. Mr. Ryan has always taken an active part in politics, and is one of the leading Democrats in the northern part of the State, as well as in the local ranks. In 1890, 1894 and 1896, he was sent as delegate to the State conventions. He has given thirteen continuous years in service of the post office department, eight years as postmaster and the rest as assistant, an office he still holds. During the session of 1893 he was appointed postmaster of the Wisconsin Senate. Medford has honored him by election to the offices of alderman and mayor, and during his two year term in the latter place, Mr. Ryan was largely instrumental in securing the location in Medford of several manufacturing enterprises. In 1898 Mr. Ryan was elected to the Assembly as representative from Taylor and Lincoln counties; he served on the committees on town and county organization, and health and sanitation, and earned a reputation as a hard working member. On April 8, 1872, Mr. Ryan was married to Mary Magner, daughter of James and Mary Magner, of Waukesha, Wis. There are three children in the family, all daughters, namely: Margaret M., who was born in Waukesha, and has been a teacher in the Medford schools for the past eleven years; Mary E., who married Louis A. Maier, cashier in the First National Bank, of Medford, Wis.; and Helen F., a bookkeeper in Mellen, Wisconsin. Mr. Ryan in prominent in the G.A.R. and was a charter member of the Post at Medford, of which he is a Past Commander. In 1896 he was sent as a delegate to the National Encampment at St. Paul. He enters with zeal onto whatever he is connected with and is everywhere found a valuable aid. [Source: Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Upper Lake Region By J. H. Beers & Co published 1905; transcribed by Glenda Stevens]

Herman Schatz
(Waukesha County – Second District – The city of Oconomowoc, and the towns of Brookfield, Delafield, Lisbon, Menomonee, Merton, Oconomowoc and Pewaukee. Population, 14,521.)
HERMAN SCHATZ (Dem.), of Brookfield, was born at Greifenberg, Germany, December 26, 1843; he received a common school education; is a blacksmith by occupation; came to Wisconsin in 1850 and settled at Watertown, later removing to Cedarburg and thence to Brookfield; he served two years in the army as a blacksmith; was elected member of assembly for 1882, receiving 1,097 votes against 1,057 for S. T. Bowells, republican, and 91 for Robert Muir, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 562; transcribed by Mary Saggio]

John Schmidt
JOHN SCHMIDT, (Dem.)--- Post-office address, Tess Corners, Waukesha county; was born April 23, 1833, in the village of Wisrschweiler, Prussia; had a common school education; is a farmer; came to the United States and to Wisconsin in 1846, and settled at Muskego, Waukesha county, where he has since resided; was town treasurer in 1877 and 1878, assessor from 1860 to 1876; chairman of town board in 1878 and 1879; was assemblymen in 1864, and elected again in 1879 receiving 1,311 votes against 1,229 for F. McArthur, Republican, and 47 for n. Hollister, Greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]

Henry W. Schwab
Henry W. Schwab, the owner and manager of one of the prominent grocery houses of the West Side, Milwaukee, located at 2207 Wells street, is a native of the Cream City, born there Nov. 8, 1863, being the son of John M. and Ottilia (Heeg) Schwab, both of whom were born in Germany, 1830 being the birth year of each. John M. Schwab, the father of our subject, was a wood worker in the old country. He heard of the great opportunities open to a young man in America and immigrated to this country in 1854, and soon after landing located in Milwaukee. When the call to arms came at the outbreak of the Civil war he responded and served under the flag of his adopted country. Henry received his educational training in the public school of Milwaukee, and when his studies were finished began to work in a grocery store as a clerk. Like so many of the second generation he was ambitious and bound to make his way in the world. When only twenty-two years of age he established him-self in the grocery business on State street near Fifteenth street. There he built up a good trade by honesty, fair dealing and a determined effort to please his customers. Thirteen years ago the trade outgrew its quarters and Mr. Schwab moved to his pre-sent location, where his trade is still larger. At the new store more branches were added, and it is one of the largest and most prosperous retail houses in the city. Mr. Schwab belongs to no party, believing it better to vote as his conscience dictates rather than be bound by party rule. He is a member of the Congregational church, a director in the Merchants and Manufacturers' Bank, president of The Loose Shotola Commission Co., treasurer of the National Association of Retail Grocers and is presi-dent of the Milwaukee Retail Grocers' Association. On Sept. 24, 1885, Mr. Schwab was united in marriage with Emma, the daughter of Yocham and Alary ( Stucker ) Speich, residents of Milwaukee. Two children were born to this union: Walter H., who is associated with the Merchants' and Manufacturers' Rank, and Emma.  [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]

David W. Small
OCONOMOWOC: Hon. David W. Small, a native of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, was born at Frankfort, December 18, 1827. His father was a farmer, and both parents were members of the Society of Friends. He was reared on his father's farm in a very exemplary manner, being early taught the virtues as well as the industries of life. Prior to his sixteenth year he had received only the literary instruction afforded by a common school during the winters. He then spent two years at the Moravian College at Nazareth, and at the age of eighteen began to teach and to read law, alternating between these two pursuits for about five years, and in April, 1850, was admitted to the bar at Doylstown in his native State. Thinking that the West furnished a better field for young attorneys than the older States, he immediately started for Wisconsin, reaching Oconomowoc in May. Twenty-seven years ago this place was a very small village; legal business was not pressing, and as he was not disposed to be idle, he spent part of his time in surveying, for a year or more. At the end of that time he had enough to do in his profession, and since then has never suffered from a want of briefs. Indeed, his has been a busy as well as a successful professional life. Mr. Small held some offices of minor importance soon after coming to Oconomowoc. In 1862 he was elected district attorney for Waukesha County, and subsequently reelected. He was chosen judge of the second judicial circuit in 1869, and reelected in 1875, and still holds the office, discharging its duties with credit to himself and the satisfaction of all. In politics, Judge Small was a whig, with "silver gray" proclivities, until about 1855, when, the name of his favorite party having disappeared from the political calendar, he became a democrat, and to this party owes his elevation to the bench. His wife, who was Miss Susannah Ely, is an accomplished lady, the mother of three children, one son and two daughters. The son is now studying in Europe. Judge Small has a small farm adjoining the city, and bounded on one side by La Belle Lake, near the shore of which sheet of water stands his large farm house. The house is in a little grove, and Pan, the heathen divinity, might covet its delightful situation. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

David W. Small
DAVID W. SMALL, Oconomowoc, was born at Frankport, Philadelphia county, Pennsylvania, December 18, 1827. His parents belonged to the Society of Friends, and were farmers. He lived on the farm until he was sixteen years old, and attended the public schools during the winter months. He was a student in the Moravian College at Nazareth for two years. At eighteen years of age he began teaching, and reading law under the instruction of George Lear, of Doylestown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania. In April, 1850, he was admitted to the bar at Doylestown. The following month he came to Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. At first his law business was not very prosperous, and he combined the duties of a surveyor with his profession until 1851. By this time his business had increased to such an extent as to occupy his entire time. In 1862 he was elected district attorney for Waukesha county, on the democratic ticket, to which office he was subsequently reelected twice. In 1869 he was elected judge of the second judicial circuit. In 1875 he was reelected by a large majority. Judge Small resides upon and cultivates a small farm near the village of Oconomowoc. Judge Small was born and brought up in the Society of Friends, and still believes in their fundamental principles.  His wife’s maiden name was Susannah Ely. They have three children. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

William Small
WILLIAM SMALL, (Rep.), of Sussex, Waukesha county, was born October 5, 1824, in Perthshire, had a common school education; is a farmer; came to the United States in 1841 and the following year to Wisconsin; has held various local offices; was elected assemblymen for 1880 receiving 1288 votes against 1226 for H. M. Ackley, Democrat, and 93 for Joseph Johnson, Greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1880) transcribed by RuthAnne Wilke]

Jehiel Smith, M.D.
Jehiel Smith, who for thirty years has been a practicing physician in Waukesha, Wisconsin, is a son of Stephen Smith, a millwright, and Sally nee Hadley, and was born in Bath, New Hampshire, August 25, 1803. His mother was a native of the town of Hadley, Massachusetts, and some of her near relatives were participants in the war for independence. Jehiel spent most of his time in school until seventeen years of age; then went to Boston, Massachusetts, and commenced "carving out his own fortune." He there studied medicine with Elias Smith, a brother of Dr. J. V. C. Smith, and editor of one of the first medical periodicals published in this country. He attended medical lectures at Cambridge, Massachusetts; Hanover, New Hampshire, and Woodstock, Vermont, though not during consecutive years. Being obliged to defray his own expenses, he progressed slowly, and practiced inn the intervals between attending lectures. Dr. Smith followed his profession in various New England towns until 1847, when he settled in Waukesha, which has since been his home. He has had an experience of forty-five years in the healing art. A few years ago he went to Cincinnati, and attended a course of lectures in the Ohio Medical College at the same time, not feeling fully satisfied with the exclusive practice of the allopathic system, he attended a course in the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College, and received his last diploma from that institution. In 1872 Dr. Smith started what is known as the "Lethean Mineral Spring," located at his own door, in the center of the village. The water has been carefully analyzed, and is shown to have excellent medicinal qualities. One gallon of it contains 19.263 grains of soluble salts, as follows: Chloride of sodium, 0.695 grains; sulphate of sodium, 0.881 grains; bicarbonate of soda, 1.286 grains; bicarbonate of lime, 9.498 grains; bicarbonate of magnesia, 5.922 grains; bicarbonate of iron, 0.097 grains; alumina, 0.101 grains; silica, 0.783 grains. The Lethean Spring water is sent to all parts of the United States and the Dominion of Canada, and works as a wonderful remedial agent in curing diseases of the liver, kidneys, bladder, throat and lungs. It is the large percentage of carbonated alkalies and alkaline earths, with a weak chalybeate, that gives this water its great therapeutic value. Dr. Smith has been a member of the Presbyterian Church since he was fifteen years of age, and bears an irreproachable character. He is now living with his fourth wife. His first was Martha H. Sargent, of Boston, Massachusetts; his second, Mary M. Walbridge, of Brookfield, Vermont; and the third, Laura Potter, of Lisbon, Wisconsin. His present wife was Julia L. Willard, of Williamsport, Pennsylvania; she is a well educated woman, a good writer, and a valuable assistant to her husband in his profession. Dr. Smith had five children by his first wife, and two by the second, but one of whom, a daughter, is now living; she is the wife of Edwin Hurlbut, an attorney at Oconomowoc. Though in his seventy-fifth year, the Doctor stands perfectly erect, enjoys excellent health, and is busy as ever in trying to ease pain and remove disease. [Source: The US Biological Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Charles Stachowiak
Charles Stachowiak, a prominent hardware merchant of the Cream City, was born in the province of Posen, Germany, on July 20. 1872. He is a son of Valen-tine and Josephine (Kowalski) Stachowiak, who came to Milwaukee direct from the old country in 1882. The father died in 1905, at the age of seventy-five years, leaving beside his widow nine children — Mary, wife of Martin Wroblewski ; Patronnella, wife of John Jankowski ; Lawrence; Albert; Agnes, wife of Frank Mareda; Joseph; Charles; Casimir, and Stanislaus. From the time that he was ten years of age Charles Stachowiak was reared in Milwaukee and received his educational ad-vantages in the public and evening schools. Brought up in a home where frugality and enterprise were habits, he became thoroughly imbued with the principles of industry and thrift. His first labors were as an apprentice in the tinner's trade and alter he had mastered the vocation he labored as a journeyman. In 1898 he had accumulated sufficient capital to embark in the business under his own name. Success attended his efforts from the first, due in large measure to his skilled workmanship and adaptability. He has the unique distinction of having been the first Polish tinner to engage in business for himself, and today he is the only one in Milwaukee. In religious matters he is identified with the Polish Catholic church, being a communicant of the St. Cyril and Methody edifice. Politically he is a Democrat, but has never sought public office. On July 3, 1894, Mr. Stachowiak was united in marriage to Miss Anna Szukalski, a daughtei of Paul and Constantia (Budzbanowski) Szukalski, of Manitowoc county. Wis. Of the children born to this union five survive — Eugene, Theresa, Clara, Clementina and Leonard. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed By Gary M. Wysocki]

John C. Starkweather
JOHN C. STARKWEATHER, Washington, was born at Cooperstown, Otsego county, New York, May 11, 1830, and his parents were George A. and Elizabeth G. Starkweather. His education was in the military school of Major Duff, Cooperstown; at Gilbertsville Academy, and at Union College, Schenectady. He studied law with his father at Cooperstown and with Finch & Lynde, Milwaukee, Wisconsin; was admitted to the circuit court at Milwaukee, February 11, 1851, and commenced practice in that city alone; afterward was in partnership with William H. Wright, and subsequently with his father under the firm of G. A. & J. C. Starkweather, and he has been in practice alone in Washington, District of Columbia, since 1876.
Distinguished in public and in his professional life, General Starkweather commenced servicing the community as foreman of Supply Hose Company, Milwaukee; he next entered upon a military career in the state militia, and was captain of the Milwaukee Light Guard from April 10, 1857, to April 17, 1861, at which latter date he was commissioned colonel of the First Wisconsin Regiment of volunteers, raised for three months’ service on the first call for troops in the late war of the rebellion. Having served out the term of enlistment the regiment reorganized for three years’ service, and Colonel Starkweather was recommissioned colonel of it, August 21, 1861, and participated in twenty-seven battles and skirmishes; was wounded in his left leg in the battle of Chickamauga, September 20, 1863, at the same time had an attack of hemorrhage of the lungs, yet remained on duty, notwithstanding, throughout that and the next day. It is notable that no part of his command ever met with any disaster while on detached or any other duty. His name was placed on the army roll of honor for good conduct and bravery. He afterward was member of the court-martial that tried General W. A. Hammond, surgeon-general United States army. On July 17, 1863, Colonel Starkweather was appointed brigadier-general of volunteers, and resigned May 11, 1865, when the war was virtually ended. After returning home from the war he made his residence at Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, upon his farm, and was appointed postmaster, which office he held during his residence at that place. He was president of the Waukesha County Agricultural Society when residing in that county. It would be pleasing to speak at length of the military career of General Starkweather, but it is not within the scope of this work to go into details of the war record of those represented in it. It may be, however, sufficient to say that the general was the first to respond in Wisconsin to his country’s call in the hour of approaching danger, and led the first troops Wisconsin sent to the defense of the government in its day of peril, and he was constantly in active service until the close of the eventful struggle that followed. His duties were constantly at the front, and the manner in which they were performed was conspicuous and meritorious. That he has been prosperous as a lawyer may be inferred from the fact that, when a youthful practitioner, he obtained a flattering share of law business alongside of the able members of the Milwaukee bar, and has met with success in his profession in five years’ practice in the city of Washington, where acknowledged ability alone is presumed to find recognition and demand in the legal profession. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed Publisher (1882) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Donald Stewart
(Walworth County – Third District – The towns of East Troy, La Grange, Sugar Creek, Troy and Whitewater. Population, 8791.)
DONALD STEWART (Rep.), of Sugar Creek – Post office address, Delavan – was born in the town of York, Livingston county, New York, June 5, 1825; received a common school education; is a farmer by occupation; came to Wisconsin in 1850, and settled at Troy, Walworth county; removed to Waukesha county in 1856 and thence to Sugar Creek, his present place of residence, in 1869; has held various local offices for the past twenty years, from treasurer to chairman; was elected member of assembly for 1882, by a vote of 8?8 against 277 for W. P. Meacham, democrat; and 186 for S. B. Ostrander, prohibitionist. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1882), page 561; transcribed by Mary Saggio]

Fred Steinmueller
Fred Steinmueller, a prominent flour, feed and grain merchant of the Cream City, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, on June 17, 1851, a Min of Louis and Mary Steinmueller. Both parents were natives of Germany, who came to America in 1861 and located in the Eighth ward of Milwaukee. The mother died in 1876 and the father passed away thirteen years later. Of the nine children horn to them six are living. Fred Steinmueller, the subject of this memoir, received his educational advantages in the Lutheran parochial schools and the public schools of this city. After he had started his business career he took a two years' course in an evening school in an endeavor to become as proficient as possible in any work which he chose. His first labors were in the brickyards of Burnham Brothers, and he remained with that firm for a period of two years. In 1807 he began his work in the business which now furnishes him a comfortable income, being employed by Stephen Sullentine at the corner of Grove street and National avenue. Within five years he had thoroughly learned all the details of the business and had secured a sufficient competence to enable him to buy .Mr. Sullentine's establishment. Since 1872 he has been sole proprietor of the concern, which in that time has grown from small proportions to a firm with a large business all over the city and the state. In his political beliefs Mr. Steinmueller is a stanch adherent of the tenets of the Republican party, and as the successful candidate of that party served in the common council as the representative from the Eighth ward in 1800 and 1897, making a record that redounds quite as much to his own credit as to the wisdom of Ids neighbors in electing him. Both he and his wife are devout communicants of the German Lutheran church. On Oct. 29, 1872, Mr. Steinmueller was united in marriage to Miss Julia Linhopp, a native of Franklin, Wis., whose parents were early Wisconsin pioneers. To this union have been born six children. Anna, the eldest, is the wife of II. G. Winther; Fred T., who married Louise Schroeder, is associated in business with his father; Walter L. ; Margaret is a student at Red Wing. Minn.; Charles H. is a graduate of the South Division high school, who entered the University of Wisconsin at Madison; and Emerald is a high school student. Mr. Steinmueller is recognized as one of the most substantial business men of the city, and his courteous manner and keen sense of integrity make him friends everywhere. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed By Gary M. Wysocki]

Richard Street
The subject of this sketch is a native of Stirlingshire, Scotland, and was born September 5, 1825, in Bannockburn, a town immortalized by the deeds of Bruce and the song of Burns, He is the son of William and Lucy (Anderson) Street, his father being, for about fifty years, a manufacturer, and an overseer of woolen mills. At eleven years of age, with an ordinary common school education, Richard went to the trade of his father, working under his charge until of age, adding, meantime, slightly to his stock of knowledge, now and then, by attending a night school. At twenty-one he moved to the town of Stirling, a few miles from Bannockburn, and became overseer of a woolen factory. After holding that situation several years he removed to Alva. Stirlingshire, where he held a similar position in a larger factory until 1855, when he immigrated to the United States. Settling at Lancaster, Grant County, Wisconsin, he remained there until 1860, when he went to Utica, New York, and became overseer of the Globe Mills. He returned to Wisconsin in 1868, and was superintendent in Blake and Co.'s factory at Racine until 1871, and there introduced the manufacture of the celebrated Badger State shawl. In January of that year he settled in Waukesha, and became superintendent of the mills of the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company, which consume from one hundred and fifty to two hundred thousand pounds of wool annually, and turn out as fine woolen cloths and shawls as are manufactured in the Northwest. The company does on an average about one hundred and fifty thousand dollars per annum, which is intrusted entirely to the hands and oversight of Mr. Street, who, as a businessman of competency, efficiency and trustworthiness, has few equals and no superior in the village of Waukesha. He is always at his post, vigilant, untiring, and everything about the great factory moves like clockwork. The reputation of many of the brands of cloth, and of the famous Wisconsin shawls, manufactured under his charge, is so good that they are made to order. He is thoroughly wedded to his business. He believes in doing one thing at a time and doing it well. He is a firm republican in politics, but rarely accepts an office, and never any outside the village corporation. He is a member of the Temple of Honor, and an ardent and influential advocate of the temperance cause; a member of the Baptist church, the superintendent of its Sunday school, and a tireless worker for the advancement of Christ's kingdom. He is one of those active Christians who are always in their place and completely fill it. The wife of Mr. Street was Miss Elizabeth Robertson, of Stirling, Scotland, whose father is now residing at Platteville, Wisconsin. They have had ten children, nine of whom are living. [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Daniel Hadley Sumner
DANIEL HADLEY SUMNER, of Waukesha, was born at Malone, Franklin county, N. Y., September 15, 1837; received a common school education; is an attorney at law; he removed to Richland, Kalamazoo county, Mich., in 1843, where he resided until 1868, when he came to Wisconsin, settling at Oconomowoc, from whence he removed to Waukesha in 1871; has held various local positions, among which was that of district attorney for Waukesha county from 1875 to 1877; was elected as a democrat to the forty-eighth congress, receiving 10,671 votes, against 8,870 for John S. Rowell, republican, 1,006 for E. W. Chapin, prohibitionist, and 627 for Lorenzo Merrill, greenbacker. [Source: Wisconsin Blue Book (1883) Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]

Vernon Tichenor
The father of the legal fraternity in Waukesha, Wisconsin, is Vernon Tichenor, who has been for thirty-eight years a practicing attorney there. In the summer of 1839, when he entered the Territory of Wisconsin, Milwaukee had less than two thousand inhabitants, and Waukesha less than two hundred. Nine years later the Territory became a State. Mr. Tichenor, still in prime health and only a little past the prime of life, has seen Milwaukee grow up to a city of nearly one hundred thousand inhabitants, and Waukesha develop into one of the most beautiful villages in the State, and, with its health-giving fountains, become the "Saratoga of the West." He is the son of Moses and Abby (Paul) Tichenor, and was born at Amsterdam, New York, August 28, 1815. His maternal grandfather served through the seven years struggle for American freedom, and was taken prisoner and put on board a prison-ship about six weeks before the close of the war. Moses Tichenor fought in the second war with England. Vernon prepared for college at the Amsterdam Academy, and graduated from Union College in the summer of 1835, just before entering on his twenty-first year. He studied law with David P. Corey, of Amsterdam, and was admitted to the bar at Albany in October 1838, and in August of the following year opened a law office in Waukesha, his being the first "shingle" to appear on these old fishing and hunting grounds of the Pottawatomies and other tribes of savages, whose mounds are still seen. These lands were then in possession of the United States government, but traveling red men were as numerous then as traveling white men are now. The shingle hung out thirty-eight years ago by Mr. Tichenor has never been taken down, though during the first year or two, on account of poor health and a dearth of business, he paid little attention to the law. Gradually demands for his legal services increased with the increase of settlers, and for more than thirty years he has been a very busy man. He is known as one of the best office lawyers in his part of the State. The people have the utmost confidence in his accuracy and faithfulness in doing business, and his integrity is unquestioned. He is the local attorney for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company, and has been court commissioner for more than twenty years. Mr. Tichenor was the first town clerk of Waukesha, serving several years. He was magistrate a long time, doing all kinds of business. He was a member of the village school board a long time, president of the village three or four times, draft commissioner in 1862, and a member of the assembly in 1869. He is a wise counselor, but very modest, never pushing himself forward. In politics, Mr. Tichenor was in early life a liberty party man, and naturally drifted into the republican ranks, where he has been found since 1855. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and finds nothing in the legal to conflict with his Christian profession. August 19, 1838, just after receiving his college diploma, Mr. Tichenor was married to Miss Charlotte Sears, of New Scotland, Albany County, New York. They have a son and daughter. Willis V. is married and lives at Mason City, Iowa. He was a captain in the 28th Wisconsin Infantry, and went to the front in 1862, and was a brave officer, serving three years and three months. The daughter, Mary C, a well-educated lady, unmarried, lives at home. Mr. Tichenor is a warm friend of education, and has, for many years, done all he could to advance the cause in Waukesha. He is president of the board of trustees of Carroll College, located in his village, and is faithful in this as in every other trust confided to him.  [Source: The US Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Wisconsin Volume (1877) transcribed by Vicki Bryan]

Vernon Tichenor
VERNON TICHENOR, Waukesha, is the son of Moses and Abby Paul Tichenor, and was born at Amsterdam, New York, August 28, 1815. Vernon was prepared for college at the Amsterdam Academy, and graduated at Union College in 1835, on the verge of entering upon his twenty-first year. He studied law with David P. Corey, at Amsterdam; was admitted to the bar at Albany in October 1838; the following year opened a law office at Waukesha, and was the first lawyer to put out a shingle in that then Indian wilderness town, now famous as a summer watering-place. Mr. Tichenor is a noted office lawyer; was magistrate many years, in which capacity he executed a great variety of business; was the first town clerk of Waukesha, serving several years; has been court commissioner twenty years; has long been a member of the school board; three or four terms president of the village; was draft commissioner in 1862; member of assembly in 1869; is local attorney for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, and president of the board of trustees of Carroll county, Waukesha. Mr. Tichenor married Miss Charlotte Sears, August 19, 1838, and has three children. [Source: The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin, by Parker McCobb Reed, Milwaukee; P. M. Reed publisher (1882) transcribed by Susan Geist]

Richard Weaver
RICHARD WEAVER (Dem.) – P. O. address Sussex – was born in Sussex, England, August 25, 1827; received a common school education; is a hop merchant and farmer by occupation; emigrated and arrived in Oneida county, N. Y., in 1830; came to Wisconsin in 1857 and settled in the town of Lisbon, Waukesha county, where he has since resided; has held different town offices; was member of assembly in 1878; and elected state senator in 1879, receiving 2,512 votes against 2,471 for E. Beaumont. [Source: Blue Book of Wisconsin (1880) transcribed by Rhonda Hill]

Horace M. Wells
Horace W. Wells is filling the position of postmaster of Crete and is editor of the Vidette. He stands as a high type of American manhood, alert, enterprising and progressive, successfully conducting his business affairs and at the same time having ready recognition of the possibilities of the county, its needs and requirements. As a citizen his efforts have been so directed as to lead to good results for the substantial up building and improvement of the locality, and he has thus left his impress for good upon the history of Saline county, where he has made his home since May, 1873.
Mr. Wells came to Nebraska from Madison, Wisconsin. He was _____3d of October, 1847--before the admission of the state into the Union. His paternal grandfather, Horace Wells, was in the battle of Plattsburg, New York, and was a man of nerve, being very fearless in presence of danger. His maternal grandfather, Martin Meade, was a fifer in the naval battle of Lake Champlain, and was also one of the General Stark’s men. His father, Samuel M. Wells, was born in Hinesburg, Vermont, in February, 1815, and his death occurred in the summer of 1903 at York, Nebraska. In early manhood he married Miss Caroline Meade, of Jericho, Vermont, who was born on the 16th of June, 1816, and was a daughter of Martin and Freewill (Love) Meade, who were also natives of the Green Mountain state. The maternal grandparents of Mr. Wells were pioneers of Vermont, where they spent their entire lives and at length passed away. Their home was at Camels Hump Mountain in what is one of the beautiful districts of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel M. Wells were married in Vermont in 1837, and in 1840 they emigrated westward to the territory of Wisconsin, settling in Waukesha county. The father was a mason by trade and after his removal to Wisconsin conducted a tavern upon his farm, which comprised one hundred and twenty acres of land. He was also an auctioneer of high repute. He had one brother, H. N. Wells, who was one of the early judges of Milwaukee county when it embraced the territory that is now comprised within several counties of that state. He was also president of the last territorial council. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Wells were three children: John N. Wells, the eldest, was a miner of Colorado and Montana. He was born in 1838 and died in Los Angeles, California, in 1875, leaving a wife and three children. Eusebia Wells is the wife of C. C. Cobb, of Summit, Wis. (part of sentence missing) the leading merchants of York. His first home was a sod house rather superior to that of most of the early settlers, it being papered and carpeted, and on one occasion Governor Butler was a guest there. He and his wife are now making a tour through Jerusalem. They have one daughter who is married and resides in San Francisco, California.
Horace M. Wells was educated in the district schools of Summit, Wisconsin, where he pursued his studies until sixteen years of age, when he put his aside his text books and volunteered for service in the Thirty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry as a member of Company C. He joined the army in December, 1863, and served until April, 1866, when he was mustered out with his regiment at Madison, Wisconsin. He served in the Mississippi valley, taking part in engagements in Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas, and fortunately he escaped the missiles of death showered upon the Union troops by the rebels, nor was he ever in a rebel prison, nor confined in a hospital, but came out as an "orderly" and returned home with a creditable military record. When the war was over Mr. Wells went again to Wisconsin, but in May, 1866, started for Colorado, where he was engaged in mining and freighting, having latterly purchased a span of mules. He was engaged in mining in Russell's Gulch near Black Hawk and Central City and met with fair success there. He reached Colorado with only fifteen cents in his pocket and six days later he had twenty-four dollars earned through mining. When he left that state in November, 1867, he had eight hundred dollars and an interest in a gold mine which brought him one hundred and fifty dollars. He then returned to Madison, Wisconsin, and entered the State University, wishing to acquire a more complete education. He was graduated from the scientific department of that institution in 1872 and from the law school in 1873. He and James W. Bashford for three years owned and published the University Press, a college paper. Mr. Bashford is now a Methodist Bishop. In 1873 Mr. Wells came to Saline county and, turning his attention to journalistic interests, became the publisher of the Saline County Post, the first paper published in this county. He was a member of the firm of Hoyt & Wells until 1876, when Mr. Hoyt sold his interest to J. W. Allen, editor of the Saline County News. The two papers were then consolidated under the name of the Saline County Union, with which Mr. Wells was connected until 1881, when he was elected to the Nebraska senate. He then sold the paper to M. B. C. True, and the name was afterward changed to the Globe. The paper is now published under the name of the Vidette Herald, and its editors and proprietors constitute the form of Goodwin & Wells. Mr. Wells was in the senate for one term and then returned to the publishing business. In 1891 he was appointed state bank examiner, serving four years or two terms, and in 1898 was appointed postmaster of Crete by President McKinley and re-appointed by President Roosevelt in 1902.  On the 9th of October, 1875, Mr. Wells was united in marriage to Harriet Code, of Crete, who was born in Canada and was a daughter of Henry Code, a prominent hotel man. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Sample, who like her daughter was a native of Canada. The Code family is of Scotch-English descent. Henry Code came to Nebraska in 1869, settling in Crete in 1871. His death occurred in California in 1902, when he was about eighty years of age, and his remains were interred in the cemetery at Crete. His wife had departed this life in 1898, leaving two daughters and one son. Mrs. Wells was called to her final rest in November 1896, after traveling life's journey happily with her husband for twenty-one years. She left four children: Harlan Wells, whose health was impaired in the Spanish-American war, is now in Riverside, California, hoping to be benefited by his sojourn in that sunny land. He married Gertrude Crockett, a grandniece of David Crockett, the celebrated pioneer of the west. Mary Wells, a young lady of twenty-two years is acting as her father’s housekeeper. Gertrude is attending school and also assists in the post office. Conrad, a youth of fourteen, is likewise in the public schools. The home of Mr. Wells was formerly the old Code home, which was built by Mr. Code and was left him with an encumbrance. He also owns his first home, which he built in 1874 before his marriage. He has made all that he now possesses, and his strong purpose, capable management and determination have been the salient features in his success. He is a Royal Arch Mason and is a past master of Crete Lodge No. 37, A. F. & A. M., and was made a Mason in Madison, Wisconsin, in the lodge of which Governor Fairchild was a prominent member. He is also connected through member relations with the Knights and Ladies of Security and with Holland Post No. 75, G. A. R., of which he has been commander for two terms. In community affairs he takes a very active and helpful part, and has served as a member of the school board for six years and as a member of the council for two terms and mayor of the city for two terms. He is not only a popular man in Crete and Saline county, but is widely and favorably known throughout the state as a gentleman of ability and one who is most genial, entertaining and trustworthy.  [Source:  A Biographical and Genealogical History Of Southeastern Nebraska, Vol. II. (Publ. 1904) Transcribed by Richard Ramos]

Martin Wingerter
Martin Wingerter, a musician of well-known ability, is a native of Germany, where he was born Nov. 1, 1860, at Speier-on-the-Rhine. He is a son of Frederick M. Wingerter and Mary M. (Wettengel) Wingerter, both of whom lived their lives in the Fatherland, where they were born in 1839. Martin's scholastic training was received in the common schools of the land of his birth and the Latin school. His musical education was received from some of the best teachers which Germany afforded. For four years he took private instruction on the violin from Michael Mohler, who played first violin at the Court and National theater at Mannheim; for two years he was a student at the Royal Music School at Wurtzburg, and for two years more he was a student under Prof. Jean Becker, one of the most celebrated teachers of violin in Germany. His residence in the United States dates from 1885. At the time of his arrival Mr. H. M. Mandel and Prof. Hans Catenhusen were advertising for musicians to play in the large saengerfest which was held in Milwaukee in 1886, and in answer to their advertisement Mr. Wingerter came to the Cream City, which has ever since been his residence. In politics he allies himself with the Republican party. His church affiliations are with the Protestant Evangelical society of Germany, and his only fraternal association is with the Milwaukee Musicians' Association. On Sept. 19, 1885, Mr. Wingerter was united in marriage to Miss Jeanne Ponsot, daughter of Alype and Adele (Maillot) Ponsot, of the Department of Doubs, France. Mrs. Wingerter is a grandniece of the late Bishop Consot, for many years prominent in New York ecclesiastical history. To Mr. and Mrs. Wingerter has been born one son, Frederick M., who is now associated with H. Hengels, the architect. [Source: Memoirs Of Milwaukee County From The Earliest Historical Times Down To The Present, Including A Genealogical And Biographical Record Of Representative Families In Milwaukee County, Vol II; Transcribed by Gary M. Wysocki]
 


HOME

Wisconsin Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails