Charles A. Salter (1923)
* Charles A. Salter, D. D. S., who has been successfully practicing the profession of dentistry in Pittsville for the last 13 years, was born in Chilton, Calumet County, Wis., Sept. 25, 1883, son of William and Sarah (Nicholson) Salter. The father was a native of Ireland who came to America when 12 years old. After attaining manhood he was married to Sarah Nicholson at Dundas, Ontario, Canada, and they later settled in Chilton, Wis. Both are now deceased. Charles A. Salter was educated in Wisconsin, attending school at Chilton and later at Fond du Lac, being graduated in 1900. Later he began the study of dentistry in Marquette University, at Milwaukee, where he received the degree of D. D. S. in 1909. In July that year he came to Pittsville and opened an office in the old Dr. Wood building, where he has since practiced his profession with good success and won the reputation of being an able and reliable dentist. He is a stockholder in the Pittsville State Bank and in the Brown Bros. Construction Co. As a public spirited citizen he served six years on the city council, being first elected in 1911, and he is a member of the local school board, on which also he has served six years. His fraternal affiliations are with the Odd Fellows and Woodmen of the World, and he is connected by membership with the Episcopal Church. Dr. Salter was married at Chilton, Wis., Nov. 17, 1912, to Bertha Betka, daughter of Lewis and Gottlieba (Swatzky) Betka, her parents being now deceased. Dr. and Mrs. Salter have one child, Bonita May, who was born Dec. 13, 1914.
George Harold (1923)
* George Harold Salter, a prominent business man of Pittsville, well known throughout Wood County through his record of business activities and public service, was born in Colby, Clark County, Wis., March 17, 1888. The parents, Richard B. and Sarah E. (Engelhardt) Salter, were natives of Washington County, this state, and were married at West Bend, that county, soon after which they moved to Colby. There Richard B. Salter became a prominent lawyer and judge, serving as county judge from 1890 to 1898, and as district attorney from 1905 to 1907. He was also engaged in the lumber business there. Though he resided in Clark County until his death on May 28, 1914, on two occasions he became an active factor in the business development of Pittsville; first in 1904, when he was one of the organizers of the Pittsville State Bank, and secondly in 1908, when he established the R. B. Salter & Sons general store. His wife is still residing in Colby, Wis. They have five children: Hortense, now Mrs. Charles Freeman, Jr., of Menomonie, Wis.; Richard G., who is cashier of the Colby State Bank; Jessie, deceased; George Harold, of Pittsville, and John F., also of this city. George H. Salter acquired his literary education in Colby, being graduated from the high school there in 1905, after which he took a commercial course in Wisconsin University. In 1908 he came to Pittsville to become manager of the R. B. Salter & Sons general store, which was first located in the Dixon block. This enterprise proved successful and in 1913 the proprietors erected their present store building, a one story brick structure, 40 by 80 feet in dimensions, with full basement, it being the finest store building in the city. All kinds of general merchandise ????
Salter, John F. (1923)
Wisconsin Genealogy Trails Home Page
To contribute or report broken links email County Host
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.