line
Barbour County West Virginia
  Biographies
line


Gainer, John T.
John T. Gainer, cashier of the Clay County Bank and one of the most prominent financiers and esteemed citizens of Clay Court House, West Virginia, was born May 31, 1871, in Auburn, Ritchie County, West Virginia. He is a son of Albert and Susan A. (Loudon) Gainer, the former of whom was born in January, 1848. and the latter on January 2, 1849. Our subject's mother was a daughter of Thomas Loudon, who removed from Virginia and settled in Upshur County, West Virginia. She was born in Gilman County and there was married to Albert Gainer. The father of the subject of this sketch is a son of John Gainer and a grandson of Bryan Gain er, of Irish ancestry, who removed from Barbour County to what is now Lewis County, West Virginia. Since 1879 Albert Gainer has been a traveling salesman.
John T. Gainer was educated in the common schools and was reared on his father's farm. From the age of 17 to 19 years he was engaged in clerical work in a general store, and then entered the Calhoun County Bank at Grantsville as assistant cashier, where he continued until August 20, 1902, when he accepted his present position. The Clay County Bank was organized June 4, 1002, with C. S. Pearcy as its first cashier, our subject succeeding him. Since taking charge, the capital stock has been increased to $50,000, and the institution ranks high with others of its kind with respect to its stability and to the safety and value of its investments.
Mr. Gainer was married July 28, 1805, to Minnie A. Jeffries. His second marriage was to Belle Ball, on August 18, 1901. One daughter, Madeline, has been born to this union.
Mr. Gainer is one of the leading Republicans of his county, in fact has been conspicuous in party affairs ever since he reached his majority. In Calhoun County he served on the Republican Executive Committee and has been elected from that county a delegate to many conventions. His interest is, however, only that of an intelligent and public spirited citizen. His business is banking, and few are more thoroughly conversant with its requirements than he, and he has never been willing to accept public office. His fraternal relations are with Eureka Lodge No. 40. A. F. & A. M., of Grantsville, Calhoun County; Jerusalem Chapter, No. 3, R. A. M., of Parkersburg; and Calvary Commandery, No. 3, K. T., also of Parkersburg.
In addition to the saddlery and harness business proper, he carries a large line of shoe findings and shoemaker's supplies. The public in general knows that he sells his goods at the right prices. The splendid success of nearly 20 years has fully demonstrated this. Mr. Popp enjoys a large mail-order business, and all orders intrusted in his care are highly appreciated and always attended to with great promptness and to the satisfaction of the customer. ["Men of West Virginia" by Biographical Publishing Company - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Johnson, Isaac V.
Mr. Isaac V. Johnson, who was nominated by the Democratic convention for Auditor, was born in November, 1829, at Meadowville, in what was then Randolph, but now Barbour County. His earlier education was received at the common county schools and was supplemented by an eighteen-month term at Emory and Henry College, Washington County, Va. In 1853 he went into Barbour County Clerk's office as deputy under Lair D. Morrall, Clerk, and remained there till 1856. He then went to Illinois and worked on a farm till the breaking out of the war, when he returned to Virginia and became the first lieutenant in Company H, Thirty-first Virginia regiment, Confederate army. In December '61 he was wounded at the battle of Allegheny Mountain, the wound proving so serious as to disable him from further infantry service, he resigned his position and was assigned to duty in Imboden's brigade in the quartermaster's department, with Major Shumate, and remained in that service till the close of the war, at which time he returned to West Virginia, utterly penniless, and went to work as a brakeman on the Parkersburg branch of the B. & O., remaining in the employ of the B. & O. railroad company until 1870, when he returned home and went to work on his father's farm. He Continned farming till 1872 when he was elected clerk of the circuit court of Barbour county, to which office he was twice re-elected, but positively refused to become a candidate for that office, a fourth term.
For several years he has taken  considerable interest in various business and industrial enterprises: was a director in Farmer's Bank, Grafton and Greenbrier Railroad Company: is now secretary of the Tygarts Valley Oil and Mineral Company: secretary and treasurer of the Belington Coal and Coke Company. He has been Chairman of the County Executive Committee, member of the Board of Education, and has held many similar places of trust and honor. He has had an extended experience of different kinds in contact with the public, and has always been popular with those who knew him.
As a business man and a politician he has been quite successful. As Clerk of a Circuit Court he had no superiors in the State and but few equals. His old railroad and army associates, comrades and friends are legion. He married December 24, 1874, to Miss Fannie Link, Bridgewater, Va., and from this union sprang three children, all of whom live. Mrs Johnson died August 25, 1891.
Mr. Johnson is a prominent member of the M. E. Church, south. He is very modest, popular wherever known, public spirited and liberal to a fault. He is a man of limited means, financially, but will make a thorough and complete race for the auditorship. Source: Wheeling Register (Wheeling, WV), Tuesday, August 2, 1892 Volume: 28 Issue: 20 Page: 2 Transcribed by: D.O.

King Family
The ancestry of this family, which is Irish, is given elsewhere in this work. Patrick M. King, son of Owen and Bridget (Mongan) King, was born in Ireland in the year 1834, died about the year 1903. He came to this country, became a farmer in Randolph and Barbour counties, owning two hundred acres of land. He was a Democrat in politics. In 1861 he was married in Harrison county to Anna, daughter of Miles and Mary King; their children were: Matthew, Mary A., Patrick F., Michael H., of whom further; Delia, Owen W., Catherine, Martin J., John T. Delia and Catherine both became teachers.
Michael H. King, son of Patrick M. and Anna (King) King, was born about 1873 in Valley district of Barbour county, near the junction of Barbour, Randolph and Upshur counties, the Middlefork river separating the farm on which he was born and reared from Upshur county, and a part of the farm extending into Randolph county. His nearest postoffice at that time was Kingsville. About 1891 his parents removed to that portion of the farm lying in Randolph county, and here his mother, one brother and one sister still reside.
Mr. King received a common school education in the public schools of Barbour county; after attending the Buckhannon high school for a year, and a summer normal school for one term, he became a school teacher, with a first grade certificate, at the age of nineteen. He taught school for two years, and then became employed on the construction of the Camden system of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad up the Buckhannon river between Buckhannon and Pickens. Later he was engaged in the same work in the counties of Braxton and Webster, beginning as a timekeeper and commissary clerk for T. J. Steers & Company; and being later promoted to the position of bookkeeper and paymaster for Contractor P. Dougher. He was engaged in this work for about three years, at the end of which time, after having saved a small amount of money, he again took up the matter of his education and spent three years in what was then the Methodist Episcopal Seminary, now West Virginia Wesleyan College, at Buckhannon, West Virginia. At the end of that period, having exhausted his finances, he went to Washington, D. C.. where for the next four years he worked during the day and attended school at night. He was graduated in 1897 from the Georgetown University Law School with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, being vicepresident of the class which was composed of one hundred and one members; and in 1898 was graduated from the National University with the degree of Master of Laws, in a class of forty members, of which he was the treasurer. He was admitted to practice before the supreme court of the District of Columbia, December 13, 1899. Shortly afterward he located in Elkins, Randolph county, West Virginia, where he has since followed his profession. In 1907 he was appointed by Judge Alston G. Dayton, of the United States court, as a referee in bankruptcy, which position he has continued to hold to the present time.
During the last ten years he has been especially active in the politics of the country, both in state and district, and in every campaign has been well to the front in the battle for Republican supremacy. He was nominated for the office of prosecuting attorney by his party, and twice for the legislature, and though in the Democratic county of Randolph a Republican has little chance to win, in each campaign he made an excellent showing and greatly reduced the Democratic majority. He has become a man well known and highly esteemed in the community where his life has been passed, and his dealings in both public and private life are characterized by integrity, ability and courage. He was a candidate for the nomination for the office of secretary of state before the Republican state-wide primary, held June 4, 1912, a1.a while he made a most excellent showing, especially in the northern section of the state where he was best known, yet by reason of the extremely heavy vote polled by his opponent in the southern section of the state and especially in what is known as the "Black Belt," he was defeated for the nomination and his opponent, Hon. Stuart F. Reed, nominated to succeed himself. After his defeat and when the Republican state committee was organized for the fight in the general election, Mr. King tendered the committee his services, and under its direction he devoted about seven weeks to the campaign, speaking in the interest of his party very generally throughout the whole state.
In the year 1904 Mr. King married Mary J. Cousin, of Baltimore, by whom he has had three children: Thomas Carroll, who died in infancy; Charles Gordon, born in November, 1906; Margaret Annette, born in July, 1908. [West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller, Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Lockeney, Henry Calvin
Henry C. Lockeney is a Virginian by birth, a Republican in politics, and a Fusionist (of all parties opposed to Democracy) by systematic practice. He was born in Burnersville, BarbourCounty,Va., April 26, 1855. He worked on his father's farm during boyhood until fifteen years of age, at which time he began to drive a team of horses, and followed that occupation five yearstwo years in Barbourcountyand then three years in Jackson county; but attended public school every winter from the organization of the free-school system until twenty years of age. In 1875 he began teaching school, and taught, in all, up to March, 1888, twenty-six terms, twentytwo of which were taught inCalhoun county, and the others in Gilmer and Jackson counties, West Virginia.He was also a surveyor of lands for several years, and in 1882 surveyed the line betweenCalhounand Gilmer counties.
Mr. Lockney read law for three years, while teaching school, and, in 1880, passed a successful examination, was admitted to the bar and has since practiced inCalhounand Clay counties. In 1885 he embarked in the mercantile business and sold goods at Arnoldsburg, West Virginia,for the short period of six months, having branch stores at two other points.
For about three years he has devoted considerable time to the study of medicine, in all its branches; but has never pursued the practice of the medical profession.
In 1880 he was appointed Notary Public of Calhoun county,and was appointed a member of the Teachers' Examining Board in the samecountyin 1882, and was re-appointed to the same office in 1883. In January, 1887, he was appointed Prosecuting Attorney of Claycounty,by Judge Robert F. Fleming, and soon afterward moved to Clay C. H., when he was appointed Commissioner of Accounts, Notary Public and Commissioner in Chancery for said county.At the general election held in 1888, he was elected to the office of Prosecuting Attorney of Claycountyfor a term of four years, commencing on the 1st day of January, 1889, to which office the Republicans nominated him by acclamation. Twice he has been appointed a delegate to the Republican State Convention.
In addition to his other avocations, Mr. Lockney owns and manages a fine farm at Bruin, Barbour county,where he enjoys a delightful home; also, handles live stock, and does occasional dealing in lumber, etc. His first vote was cast in 1876 for Gen. Nathan Goff for Governor of West Virginia,and he has since taken active interest in every election, co-operating especially with the Greenback element, but always a Republican, looking to any honorable fusion to defeat the Democratic party. He was appointed Postmaster at Bruin, October 11, 1883, and resigned April 1, 1888, under Cleveland's administration. His postoffice address is Arnoldsburg,Calhoun county,W. Va.
A marked characteristic of Mr. Lockneyall his lifeis, that whatever he does, he does with all his might. "Keep on the go" has been his motto. Having the courage of his convictions, he has been always one of the most active, zealous opponents the Democratic party of his section and State has had, but always honorable in his opposing efforts. His official record gives the same evidence of zeal. His fine farm is the picture of systematic industry. ["Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, The Growth And Advancement of The State, A Compendium of Returns of Every Election, A Record of Every State Officer" by George Wesley Atkinson, 1890 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Maxwell Family
Few families of Scotland have won greater renown or figured more prominently in national annals than that of Maxwell; and yet there is every reason to believe that in its origin the race is Saxon rather than Celtic, the ancestor being Maccus, son of Anlaf, King of Northumberland in the middle of the tenth century. On the downfall of the Saxon monarchy and the accession of William of Normandy, in 1066, many of the prominent Saxons fled across the border into Scotland with Edgar Atheling the heir of the old Saxon royal house. In the new home they were protected and favored, and under Wallace and the Bruces, the Maxwells greatly distinguished themselves. The earldoms of Farnham, Dirletoun and Nithsdale (all now dormant through attainder or failure of issue) as well as numerous baronies and lordships have been theirs. Loyal to the Stuart kings in prosperity or defeat, one of the family, Thomas Maxwell served in King James' army in the Irish revolt of 1691, and remained in Ireland, settling in Tyrone. A descendant of his, John Maxwell, came to New Jersey and located in Warren county, in 1747. He was the father of Brigadier-General William Maxwell, of revolutionary fame, and tradition further says that the West Virginia Maxwells sprang from the same source. Documentary verification of this belief has not been obtainable, but there is no reason to question it.
(I) The earliest direct ancestor known was Thomas Maxwell, of Pennsylvania, who married, about 1785, Jane, born in Pennsylvania, July 17, 1767, daughter of Alexander and Mary (Smith) Lewis. Thomas was, perhaps, son of Robert and Elizabeth Maxwell, of Chester county, who died about 1792. Thomas Maxwell died in 1796 while on a preliminary trip to West Virginia, preparatory to removing his family thither. The particulars of his death were never known. Three years later his widow with her six children removed to the present Harrison county and later to Lewis county, where she died, October 20, 1835. Their children were: 1. Abner, of whom further. 2. Levi, born July 25, 1788; resided near Weston; died November 13, 1884, leaving six children. 3. Lewis, born 1790; a surveyor and the most extensive landholder in the region; a man of no small prominence in his day; serving in congress as a Whig, 1827-33; died near Weston, 1865, having been twice married but leaving no children. 4. Robert, born February 19, 1791; lived in Ohio and in Harrison county, Virginia, where he died February 5, 1849; was three times married, having ten children, all by first wife. 5. Amy, born August 27, 1799; married John Peck, of Ohio, and died in that state, May 23, 1847. 6. Mary, married (first) John Swisher, (second) Hawley.
(II) Abner, eldest child of Thomas and Jane (Lewis) Maxwell, was born in Pennsylvania, 1785. He was captain of a Harrison county company in the war of 1812; resided for a time in Clarksburg, but his last years were spent near West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia, where he died in 1864. He married (first) Susan Davidson, and (second) Judith Modisette. There were five children by the first wife, and seven by the second: Marshall, born 1811; Franklin, of whom further; Mary, 1816, wife of A. W. Flucky; Levi, 1819; William, 1821; Frances Jane, died 1904, wife of Archibald Lowther, of Goose Creek; Lewis, born 1831, a resident of Pullman and Glenville; Charles, of Summers; Amy M., who became Mrs. Asa Coplin; Abner M.; James; Robert, of Doddridge county.
(III) Franklin, second son of Abner and Susan (Davidson) Maxwell, was born in 1813. His life was spent in Doddridge county, West Virginia. Much of the landed estate of his uncle, Hon. Lewis Maxwell, fell to his share. It is said he helped many a poor man to a home by permitting him to live on his land and giving him almost his own time in paying, provided he was honest and industrious. He had no patience with dishonesty or laziness. He died at his home near West Union, July 4, 1894. He married Frances Reynolds, in 1840, and to them were born ten children: Leman; Lewis; Porter; Rector; William Brent; Harriet P., wife of G. W. Brown; Mary Martha, born 1855, died 1860; Franklin Post, born 1857, died 1880; Frances Jane, became Mrs. B. C. Bland; Susan Alice, born 1861, died 1883.
(IV) William Brent, son of Franklin and Frances Jane (Runnels) Maxwell, was born in Doddridge county, Virginia, now West Virginia, April 27, 1850. He attended the common schools of Pruntytown. Originally his business was stock farming, and he still owns a farm in Harrison and Doddridge counties. Mr. Maxwell organized the Traders' Bank at Buchanan in 1892, but sold out the following year, organizing the West Union Bank at West Union, Doddridge county, of which he is still president. He has also been president of the Union National Bank of Clarksburg since its organization. He is connected with the American National Bank of Richmond, Virginia; is stockholder in the Exchange Bank of Weston and the Parkersburg National Bank. In politics Mr. Maxwell is a Democrat. He was justice of the peace in Doddridge county. He married (first) in 1884, Emma B. Williams, a native of Harrison county; (second) in 1895, Lillie Jarvis, daughter of Lemuel Davidson Jarvis, at one time sheriff of Harrison county. Children, first two by first wife: Susan Alice, Claude, Ruth Frances, Franklin J., William B., Martha L.
(IV) Porter, son of Franklin (q. v.) and Frances MAXWELL (Reynolds) Maxwell, was born in Doddridge county, Virginia, April 4, 1843. He now resides on the old Maxwell homestead in Harrison county, West Virginia, his post office being Lost Creek, his farm being on the county line. He is an active, aggressive Democrat. He married Virginia Columbia Post, born near Buckhannon, Upshur county, Virginia; died April 2, 1904, aged forty-eight years. Children: 1. Franklin P., born 1869; lives at Buckhannon, a farmer. 2. Isaac H., born 1871 ; lives at Lost Creek, a farmer. 3. Lee, of whom further. 4. Hattie, born in 1876, wife of Hugh Jarvis. 5. Carrie V., born 1878, wife of Judge Haymond Maxwell, of Clarksburg. 6. Clay, born 1880; lives on the old Colonel A. W. Woodford farm, near Weston, Lewis county, a farmer by occupation. 7. Emma, born 1883; unmarried, at home with her father. 8. Blanche, born 1889, at home. The grandfather, Isaac Post, lived near Buckhannon on a farm, and died about 1905, aged eighty-one years.
(V) Lee, son of Porter and Virginia C. (Post) Maxwell, was born November 15, 1873, in Harrison county, West Virginia, on the old Maxwell homestead, on Buckhannon Pike, where the father still resides, in the evening of life. Lee received a good education at the common schools, at Buckhannon Seminary and at the academy. He aided his father on the farm until twenty-five years of age, when he went for himself, but still assists his father. His own place is three and a half miles from Clarksburg, to the southwest. He is a stockholder in the Clarksburg Fair Association. He votes the Democratic ticket and was elected to the office of county commissioner, November 8, 1910, and is still in office. The family are members of the Methodist Protestant church, and he is an intelligent citizen of his county. He married, at Peel Tree, Barbour county, West Virginia, February 9, 1899, Bopeep Katherine Smith, born at Peel Tree, October 4, 1879, daughter of Dr. Isaac Smith, now practicing at Peel Tree. Her mother was Lucy (Keyser) Smith, born at Bridgeport. Dr. Smith was born at Harrisonburg, Virginia. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell: Columbia May, February 8, 1901; Porter Smith, September 9, 1906. [Source: "GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL OF THE Upper Monongahela Valley, WV" Vol. III; By James Morton Callahan; Edited by Bernard L. Butcher; Publ. 1912; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Nixon, J. Truman
J. Truman Nixon spent part of his early youth in the State of Ohio, where he attended country schools and May 23, 1887, graduated from the St. Paris High School, the following year was spent at Dennison University at Granville, Ohio. His practical preparation for life consisted in discipline in farm work and as clerk in his father's store and others at St. Paris, Ohio. In July 1887 he returned to the old homestead in Taylor County, West Virginia, where he built his career to prosperity operating a large stock farm, making a specialty of raising registered Shorthorn cattle and Berkshire hogs, continuing that business until April 15, 1905. He still owns his farm and coal lands in that state and others in Oklahoma,
In the meantime he had become actively associated with the coal, oil and gas business. In 1891 and 1892 he was connected with the Camden coal interests at Monongah, West Virginia. In 1899 he was employed with the South Penn Oil Company's land department in West Virginia and continued with that firm and other affiliated Standard interests until 1906. From March, 1903, until the beginning of 1905 he had charge of the land department in Indian Territory for Prairie Oil & Gas Company.
During 1905 he was employed by the Virginias Railway Company (Standard Interest) in West Virginia and Virginia in buying lands for that corporation, and bought what is known as "Oney Gap" (Tunnel) for this company. In November, 1905, he and associates sold a large coal area in Barbour County, West Virginia, after which he has confined his efforts to Illinois and Oklahoma oil and gas fields, spending the entire year of 1906 in the Illinois field. He became manager of the land department for the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company at Tulsa, in January, 1907, and now has several prominent associations with local industrial and financial corporations.
Mr. Nixon organized the Tulsa Engineering and Supply Company. He is one of the vice presidents of the Merchants and Planters Bank of Tulsa, a stockholder in the National Bank of Commerce, a stockholder in the Guarantee Abstract & Title Company, sole owner of the Indian records, an abstract business dealing exclusively with work and records of the Department of the Interior which is the only successful office of the kind conducted within the range of our knowledge, furnishing abstracts of all departmental leases and enrollment and allotment records, his business dealing particularly with oil and gas.
Mr. Nixon has studied and has a comprehensive knowledge of the law but never cared for practice before the bar, choosing to act in the capacity of councilor, which coupled with his experience and knowledge of men and affairs, makes him a very strong man.
Mr. Nixon is affiliated with the Tulsa Lodge No. 71, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; with Tulsa Chapter No. 52, Royal Arch Masons; with Tulsa Commandery No. 22, Knights Templars; with Trinity Council No. 20, Royal and Select Masters; Akdar Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and Tulsa Chapter No. 133 Eastern Star. He is also a Knight of Pythias and became a charter member of Black Diamond Lodge No. 72 at Monongah, West Virginia, when it was organized in 1892.
Politically his party affiliations are republican but independent of the party whip and he is a man who has many staunch friends in every walk of life.
Mr. Nixon was married August 18, 1892, to Florence B. Jolliffe. Mrs. Nixon was born near Uniontown, Wetzel County, West Virginia. A daughter of Amos and Mary Jolliffe, another very old English family that can boast of an unbroken line for nearly 500 years. Her forefathers coming to America about 1645. Later we find the male descendants serving in General Washington's army where they acquitted themselves with credit and distinction. In old England they served their kings well and were remembered by their rulers with favor. Some evidence is Jolliffe Coat of Arms, Argent on a pile Azure, three Dexter Gauntlets of the field; Jolliffe Crest, a cubit arm erect vested and cuffed, the sleeve charged with a pile Argent, the hand grasping a sword (P. P. D.) Motto: Tout que je puis. [Source: "A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 4; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn; Pg. 1597; Publ. 1916; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

O'Brien, William Smith (1862-1948)
O'BRIEN, William Smith, a Representative from West Virginia; born in Audra, near Philippi, Barbour County, Va., (now West Virginia), January 8, 1862; attended the common schools, the Weston (W.Va.) Academy, and the University of West Virginia at Morgantown; worked on farms, in brick yards, and on public works; also taught school and was engaged as an editor; was graduated from the law school of the West Virginia University at Morgantown in 1891; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Buckhannon, Upshur County, W.Va., in 1892; served as a captain in the West Virginia National Guard in 1894 and 1895; served as judge of the twelfth judicial circuit of West Virginia 1913-1919; elected as a Democrat to the Seventieth Congress (March 4, 1927-March 3, 1929); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1928 to the Seventy-first Congress; resumed the practice of law; elected secretary of state of West Virginia in 1932, 1936, 1940, and again in 1944, in which capacity he served until his death in Buckhannon, W.Va., on August 10, 1948; interment in Heavner Cemetery. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present -- Contributed by Anna Newell]

Rightmire Family
This family has been known to have been residents of Virginia since the latter years of the eighteenth century, and possibly one generation before that date. 

(I) James Rightmire, was brought up if not born in Barbour County, Virginia. Among his children was a son named Alpheus, of whom further. (sic)
(II) Alpheus Rightmire, son of James Rightmire, was a native of Taylor County, Virginia, born in 1821. He followed farming for his occupation, and was sturdy and successful in his undertakings in life, being an excellent citizen and prosperous. He married and had children, including a son called Adolphus, of whom further.
(III) Adolphus Rightmire, son of Alpheus Rightmire, was born in Taylor County, Virginia, near the city of Grafton, March 16, 1851. He was educated at the public schools and at the West Virginia College, near Flemington. For five years he taught school winters and went to school at other periods. He engaged in the growing and shipping of cattle for five years. In 1884 he embarked in the mercantile business at Grafton. In 1893 he organized the first wholesale grocery company in Grafton, Pennsylvania. Two years later he sold out this business, and in 1899 removed to Morgantown, where he engaged in the real estate and lumber business, being a large owner in realty and other valuable property. Since 1895 ne has been engaged in the oil industry, owning five wells in Greene County, Pennsylvania. Politically Mr. Rightmire is a Jeffersonian Democrat. He belongs to the Elks order. He married, in September, 1877, Augusta, daughter of J. H. Barnes, of Taylor County, West Virginia. Children: Byron W., of whom further; Ina, Edna, Beulah. Mrs. Rightmire died in May, 1889.
(IV) Byron W. Rightmire, son of Adolphus and Augusta (Barnes) Rightmire, was born in Taylor County, West Virginia, March 31, 1880. He secured a good education at the public school and later entered the West Virginia University. After leaving the University he had charge of the water, gas and electricity in Morgantown. He then went to Oklahoma and engaged in the grocery business, also handled large quantities of meats. From that he shifted to the real estate business, and after two years located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he took up real estate work. Upon his return to Morgantown he engaged in lumber and builder's supplies, under the firm name of Rightmire & Shriver. Their factory was burned and Mr. Rightmire, with his father, rebuilt the plant, where the business is now carried on. Mr. Rightmire purchased thirty-five acres of land, formed a stock company, known as Lockview Land and Water Company, of which his father was president and he acting secretary and treasurer. He then bought a large tract of land under the firm name of Rightmire, Rohsbough & Thornhill, called the West Morgantown First Addition. With all of these various business operations, Mr. Rightmire has accumulated considerable property. He belongs to the Elks order. In December, 1909, he married Nellie, daughter of Henry Baker. [Source: "GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL OF THE Upper Monongahela Valley, WV" Vol. III; By James Morton Callahan; Edited by Bernard L. Butcher; Publ. 1912; Pgs. 959-960; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Smith Family
This name, doubtless, is now and long has been by far the most common name in the United States, and is found in every part of the country. In 1795 a Philadelphia woman noted in her diary that three persons of the name Smith, in no way related, called one morning, and that the name was said to be the most common name, alike in Europe and in North America. There is a reason for this, for like so many English names this name is a name of occupation, and even in a comparatively simple state of society smiths of many different kinds are necessary in the affairs of the community. Sometimes the word appears in combination in a surname, for example, in the name Goldsmith, but far more frequently alone. The number of immigrants to America bearing this name must be very great, and not only is no common American ancestor to be sought for any large portion of the American Smiths, but it would be useless, for the reason already stated, to seek a common origin in Great Britain. Beside all this there are a number of Smiths of Dutch descent, their name having originally been Smit. The German language also has a similar surname, Schmidt, and it is not improbable that many descendants of German immigrants of this name have changed the name in America to Smith. Less commonly met variants of this name are Smyth and Smythe; these are not even names of very frequent occurrence.

(I) John R. W. Smith, the first member of this family about whom we have definite information, was born in Barbour county, West Virginia, January 13, 1847. He is now a farmer in Barbour county, but makes his home at Philippi. He married Celia A. Wilson, who was born at Philippi, in 1841. Children: 1. Winfield Scott, of whom further. 2. Alpheus W., born January 15, 1875; he is a graduate of the Conference Seminary at Buckhannon, West Virginia, of the University of West Virginia, at Morgantown, and of Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, from which he graduated in the class of 1906; he is now professor of physics in the Ohio State University at Columbus, Ohio. 3. Grace, born about 1878, died in March, 1899; she was a bright, educated and estimable young lady, who had a very large circle of friends.
(II) Dr. Winfield Scott Smith, son of John R. W. and Celia A. (Wilson) Smith, was born at Philippi, Barbour county, West Virginia, September 7, 1873. He attended the local schools at Philippi, and helped his father on the farm until he was twenty-one years old. He then went to the Medical College of Virginia, at Richmond, and he graduated from this institution in 1898. Then he began the practice of medicine at Philippi, where he remained for six years. After this time he accepted a position as physician and surgeon to the Davis Coal Mining Company, in the same county, and he remained in their employ for four years. On July 1, 1908, he removed to Huntington, Cabell county, West Virginia, where he has since resided and engages in a general practice of medicine. He has his office at his residence, No. 219 Fourth avenue. Dr. Smith is a Democrat. In religion he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
 He married, at Oakland, Maryland, April 27, 1899, Elizabeth, born at Philippi, February 23, 1876, daughter of John F. and Eliza (Cole) Woodford. John F. Woodford died February 16, 1911, at the age of sixty-three years. He was one of the leading business men of Barbour county, being a merchant, a cattle dealer and a dealer in real estate. His wife is still living at Philippi and has reached the age of fifty-eight years. Child of Dr. Winfield Scott and Elizabeth (Woodford) Smith, Beatrice, born January 21, 1900. [West Virginia and Its People, Volume 3 by Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Strickler Family
This family is descended from Swiss stock. It is said that four brothers came to Pennsylvania and settled in different parts of the state.

(I) Abraham Strickler, the founder of this family came from one of the German cantons in Switzerland. He settled at Chester, Pennsylvania, and in 1728 removed to the Susquehanna river. One of his sons, John, went to the valley of Virginia about 1731, and bought lands on the Massanutton and on South river; he was a Mennonite preacher.
(II) ________________, probably son of Abraham Strickler, settled about 1750, in what is now Page county, Virginia. He had a son: Joseph, of whom further.
(III) Joseph, son of Strickler, died in 1856. He was president of the Page county court, assessor and clerk. Child: Isaac Harrison, of whom further.
(IV) Isaac Harrison, son of Joseph Strickler, was born Julv 27, 1816, in Shenandoah, now Page county, and died November 6, 1885.' He was a merchant at Philippi, Barbour county, West Virginia, where, in 1843, as a member of the firm of Almon & Strickler, he opened the first store in that place in a stable; afterward a brick store was built. He was the first postmaster at Philippi, and held this position seventeen years. For a while, he kept store at Buckingham Court House, Buckingham county, Virginia. In 1865 he returned to Philippi and opened a store with G. E. Jarvis, whom he afterward bought out and continued this business until his death. He was a Confederate soldier during the civil war. He was an Odd Fellow and Good Templar, a Democrat in politics and a Baptist in religion. He married at Philippi, September 30, 1850, Margaret ]., daughter of Rev. Solomon and Elizabeth (Rightmire) Jarvis. Children: Rev. Robert Mann, married Laura R. Spitler; Joseph Thomas, died young; Arthur DeWitt, of whom further; Mary Alice, Sarah Belle, died young; Anna Elizabeth, Catherine Crim, Etta Jane and Clara Antonia.
(V) Arthur DeWitt, son of Isaac Harrison and Margaret J. (Jarvis) Strickler, was born at Philippi, December 26, 1855. He attended for several years the Barbour county schools. He was a clerk in his father's store until 1879, when he was appointed deputy-clerk of the circuit and county courts of Barbour county, which position he held till 1891. Then he was appointed clerk in state auditor's office by Colonel Isaac V. Johnson; he held this position throughout Colonel Johnson's term as auditor, and for nearly a year under his successor, about five years in all. Leaving Charleston, he accepted the position of teller in the Elkins National Bank, Elkins, Randolph county, West Virginia. Two years later he resigned to accept the cashiership of The Tucker County Bank, at Parsons; this was in 1901, about a year after the organization of this bank, and Mr. Strickler has held this position continuously from that time. He is a thoroughly practical business man and regarded as one of the most conservative bank cashiers in the county. The bank has been built up under his charge to be a strong institution with resources of over two hundred thousand dollars. The capital is twenty-five thousand dollars, the undivided profits and surplus are twenty-eight thousand five hundred dollars. Mr. Strickler is a Mason, being past master of Bigelow Lodge No. 52, at Philippi; first master of Pythagoras Lodge No. 128, at Parsons, and in 1900 he was elected grand master of the Grand Lodge of West Virginia. He is also a member of Copestone Chapter No. 12, Royal Arch Masons, at Grafton. He was made a Knight Templar in 1882 in Crusade No. 6 of Fairmont; when he went to Charleston he transferred his membership to Kanawha Lodge No. 4, and then dimitted and joined DeMolay No. 11, at Grafton. He was a charter member of Pilgrim Commandery No. 21, at Elkins, and is now a member thereof. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, in which he is past chancellor. In politics he is a Democrat. In Philippi he was a member of the city council and was city recorder; he was also commissioner of chancery of the circuit court of Barbour county. He is a member of the Baptist church. He married, at Philippi, February 20, 1884, Kate Rosalie, daughter of William and Catherine (Proudfoot) McClaskey. She is a lover of music, having studied at Adrian, Michigan, and her ability in music is highly prized in church circles and by friends. She is a member of the Baptist church. Child: Robert Parvin, born April 11, 1885, graduated from the University of West Virginia in 1907, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and was appointed Rhodes scholar at Oxford, England; there he studied for three years and earned high honors. In September, 1911, he was appointed professor of languages at Davis and Elkins College, Elkins, West Virginia. He is a member of the West Virginia University Alumni Association, the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, and Pythagoras Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, No. 128, at Parsons. He married, at Morgantown, West Virginia, June 27, 1912, Mary Gertrude, daughter of R. S. and Malissa (Gleen) LaRue. [West Virginia and Its People, Volume 3 by Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Tallman Family
In the veins of this family flows the blood of the old pioneer and hero, Daniel Boone of Kentucky; Boone Tallman having married Mary Logan, a sister of the late James H. Logan of Randolph county, and become the father of Robert L. Tallman, who was a farmer and surveyor of Barbour county, West Virginia. The latter married Harriet L. Blake, daughter of Herod and Elizabeth Blake, of which union there were born Floyd Ellis Tallman and four other children.

Floyd Ellis Tallman, son of Robert L. and Harriet (Blake) Tallman, residents of Barbour county, West Virginia, was born March 9, 1882, in Barbour county, West Virginia. He spent his early years on the farm, during which time he attended the rural schools until the year 1900, when he became a teacher in the public schools of his native county, and during the years 1900-1905 he was a teacher in the rural schools of Barbour county and a student of Wesleyan College at Buckhannon, West Virginia, from which institution he graduated in the year 1905. In the fall of 1905 he entered the College of Law of the West Virginia University, where he continued for the school year of 1905-1906. In September, 1906, he was married to Bess Lillian Talbott, daughter of George E. and Ellen E. Talbott of Barbour county; and during the winter of 1906-7 taught in the public schools of Barbour county. In the fall of 1907 Mr. and Mrs. Tallman moved to Elkins, Randolph county, where they have since resided. Mr. Tallman held the position of principal of the Grammar School of the city of Elkins for the years 1907-8 and 1908-9, returning to the West Virginia University in the fall of 1909, where he again resumed his law studies, completing his course in the spring of 1910. He was admitted to practice law in Randolph county in November, 1910, and soon thereafter entered into partnership with the Hon. J. F. Strader under the firm name of Strader & Tallman. and has remained in the active practice of his profession since. In August, 1911, he was appointed commissioner in chancery of the circuit court of Randolph county, a position which he still holds, and in 1912 he was elected as a member of the Elkins city council from the second ward, having been the candidate of the two leading parties. He is also a member of the Republican party.
Mr. Tallman is a member of Delta Chapter of the Phi Sigma Kappa college fraternity at Morgantown, West Virginia, a member of Elkins Chapter, Royal Arcanum, and a member of the Masonic Blue Lodge and Chapter at Elkins, West Virginia. His wife, Bess Lillian (Talbott) Tallman, graduated from Wesleyan College at Buckhannon in the year 1904 in the literary and elocution courses, and is very active in the Methodist Episcopal church and its societies. Mr. and Mrs. Tallman have two daughters, Lucille and Mary Louise. Their home is at 220 Boundary avenue. [West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 by Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Valentine Family
The word Valentine means powerful or robust, being derived from a common Latin word. The name was used by the ancient Romans. St. Valentine was a martyr in A. D. 270, and one Pope has borne this name. In more recent times, the most famous personage of this name was the monk and chemist, Basil Valentin, in the sixteenth century. The name is found in France, Spain, Germany, Holland, and elsewhere in southern and central Europe, as a surname. It is also frequent as a Christian name. In the United States, the name is not common, yet is widely diffused, found in nearly if not quite every state. There are three principal families, associated especially with New England, Long Island, and New York. They are not of common origin, unless a single ancestor may have existed in the middle ages. Virginia has had a sculptor named Valentine.

(I) Andrew Valentine, the first member of this family about whom we have definite information, was born in Barbour county, West Virginia. He and his wife are both deceased. He was a farmer, and in the civil war he served in the Confederate army under General Imboden, as a lieutenant. He was a prominent Democrat. His wife was Rachel Digman, also a native of Barbour county. Child: A. Jay, of whom further.
(II) A. Jay, son of Andrew and Rachel (Digman) Valentine, was born in Barbour county, March 8, 1866. He attended the public schools, after which he taught school for several years and then read law in the office of Captain A. C. Bowman, at Valley Furnace, Barbour county, West Virginia. His legal studies were completed under the instruction of W. B. Maxwell, then of St. George. Tucker county, West Virginia (now of Elkins, Randolph county). In 1887 he was admitted to the bar, and opened an office at St. George, then the county seat of Tucker county. When the county seat was removed to Parsons, Mr. Valentine came thither, and has there enjoyed a lucrative practice. He is local counsel for the Western Maryland Railway Company, general counsel for the Dry Fork Railway Company, local counsel for the Parsons Pulp and Lumber Company, the J. K. Mosser Tanning Company, the Otter Creek Boom and Lumber Company, the Davis Coal and Coke Company, and does other corporation work. He is vice-president and counsel of the Tucker County Bank. Mr. Valentine is a member of the State Bar Association, and has been president of the Tucker County Bar Association. His fraternal order is the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he has been through its chairs. In politics he is a Republican, but not active; he has been frequently mentioned for a judgeship.
The Parsons Pulp and Lumber Company, of which he is counsel, is one of the flourishing industrial institutions of Parsons. It was first organized in 1900, by R. F. Whitmer of Philadelphia and others, as The Parsons Pulp and Paper Company. In 1909 it was rcchartcred under the present name, with R. F. Whitmer, president; D. G. Wilson, secretary and treasurer, and W. T. Robinson, superintendent and general manager. The capital is three million dollars. The pulp output is fifteen hundred tons per month; silk board and tag paper are manufactured, three thousand tons per month. The lumber mills are at Laneville, Horton. and Dobbin, West Virginia. The pulp mill, paper mill and power plant, of twenty-eight hundred horse-power, foundry, etc., are at Parsons, and occupy one hundred thousand square feet of space, besides which there are several acres of yards. At Parsons, one hundred and fifty men are employed. The Tucker County Bank, of which Mr. Valentine is now vice-president, was organized in 1900, and opened the fourth of June, in that year, with the following officers: M. C. Feather, president; O. Jay Fleming, cashier; Riley Harper, vicepresident. Mr. Feather was succeeded by F. S. Landstreet, and he by Riley Harper, who is now president. A. DeW. Strickler succeeded Mr. Fleming as cashier, August 1, 1901, and still continues in that office. The capital is twenty-five thousand dollars; surplus and undivided profits amount to twenty-seven thousand five hundred dollars, and the resources to over two hundred thousand dollars.
Mr. Valentine married Lummie, daughter of Samuel I. Kalar, of Tucker county. Mrs. Valentine is devoted to her family and home. Children: Zillah, a student at Broadus College; Arthur, attending the high school at Parsons; Mark Twain; Paul. [West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 by Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Woods, A.M., LL.D., Judge Samuel
Hon. Samuel Woods, deceased, a former judge of the Supreme Court of West Virginia, was born in East Canada, September 19, 1822. When he was but a boy, his father moved to Meadville, Pennsylvania, where he learned the plasterer's trade. He, however, in the meantime became a student at Allegheny College, and by energy and perseverance, working at his trade during the summer seasons, and attending college the remainder of the years, when twenty years of age, he completed the required classical course, and received the diploma of Bachelor of Arts. He studied law with Fox Alden, an able attorney of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and in the meantime he was one of the teachers in the well-known academy at Morgantown, Virginia. After his admission to the Bar, he located at Philippi, Barbour County, Virginia, where he spent the remainder of his life, having attained the standing of one of the greatest lawyers of the State.
 Judge Woods was large in brain and stature. He was a little more than six feet tall, weighed over two hundred pounds, was round-faced and handsome, and was commanding in appearance. He was as well rounded morally as physically. He possessed strong religious convictions, and his personal character was as spotless as a maiden's, and as unsullied as a ray of light. At every period in his long and useful career, he was always found on the moral side of every question that came before him. He never apologized for his faith, but always showed his faith by his works. By his superior mental training, fidelity to his clients, and his highly honorable methods, he achieved success in the practice of his profession. Being a natural orator, he was almost irresistible as an advocate in a court trial. He made the most careful preparation of his cases, and was so well grounded in the law and so eloquent and convincing as a speaker that he seldom, if ever, lost a deserving case. He was free from the use of spirits and narcotics that often dwarf the body, deaden the intellect and poison the soul of brilliant men. He was also a man of fine literary tastes and habits, and was devoted to his family and to his home. In 1844 he married at Meadville, Pennsylvania, Miss Isabelle Neeson, and has reared an interesting family, three sons being successful lawyers, two of whom reside in Philippi, Barbour County, the place of their birth, the elder of the three being deceased.
He was a member of the Virginia Convention that passed the Ordinance of Secession, and when the Civil War came on he went with the South, was a member of the celebrated "Stonewall Brigade," and there remained until the close of hostilities, when he returned to his Philippi home and resumed his law practice. He was a Democrat in his political convictions, and in 1871 he was elected a member of the State Convention that produced the State Constitution of 1872, which is still the organic law of West Virginia. In 1883 he was appointed a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of the late Judge A. F. Haymond, and in 1884 he was elected by the people to that important position. At the expiration of his term of service in 1888 he retired from public life to manage his large private interests. In that year Allegheny College conferred upon him its highest honorary degree, that of Doctor of Laws, an honor most worthily bestowed.
Judge Woods was an ajdent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a leader in its councils. He was one of the founders of West Virginia Weslyan College at Buckhannon, and was president of its Board of Trustees from the origin of the same until the time of his death. He was also a prominent member of the Masonic Fraternity. He died suddenly at his Philippi home February 17, 1897. Thus passed from the throng of the living one of our States ablest lawyers, a learned and conscientious jurist, an honest, upright citizen, and above all a faithful Christian gentleman. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]






HOME
Genealogy Trails National Site
 
  © Copyright by Genealogy Trails