Braxton County, WV Biographies
From: History of Braxton County and Central West Virginia by John Davison Sutton 1919
Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by Marji Turner
History of Braxton County and Central West Virginia by John Davis Sutton, 1919
Author's Note: "In preparing a personal biography of many of the families of Braxton county, it is more limited than we had intended, being unable to get the necessary data and in many cases we had nothing by which we could secure the proper names and dates. We trust those whose records have been secured may feel a satisfaction in their publication. We regret that there are many others we failed to obtain."
John Adams, son of Major P. B. Adams was born in 1859. In 1884 he married Nancy, daughter of Tubal and Delila Skidmore Cogar, and to them were born nine children. Hannah, Pierson B., Delilia, Ellowese, Mary A., Jordye, John G., Daniel J., and William M. Mr. Adams was a successful farmer and stockman; he owned the valuable and beautiful Boling Green Farm. He was elected sheriff of Braxton county in 1896 and served a term of four years, and was elected sheriff again in 1904 and served the term of four years. Mr. Adams was well beloved by his countrymen. He died December 17, 1912, and was buried in the Duffy cemetery at Sutton.
G. W. Arbogast, son of George and Mary (Reed) Arbogast, wa born Jan. 29, 1849, and has always lived in Clay county. He married Ellen Schoonover, and their children are Calvin P., James A., Wm. E., Glenna May, Daniel W., and George.
He married for his second wife Mary Riffle, and by this union there was born one child, Sarah. Mr. Arbogast has been a farmer, except for a period of twenty-eight months, which he served in the State Guard and in the 7th West Virginia Calvary under General Custer. Mr. Abrbogast was Sheriff from 1884 until 1889
Rev. Richard A. Arthur was born in Randolph county, Va., March 6, 1817. He was the son of William and Davison Arthur. His maternal grandfather was Joseph Friend, son of Captain Joseph Friend of Revolutionary fame, whose wife was a daughter of Joseph Skidmore, and sister to Captain John Skidmore. His parents removed from Randolph county to what is now known as the famous Salt Sulphur springs in the year 1819. He was the next to youngest of seven sons, all of whom were respected citizens. At the age of seventeen years, he left his home, crossed the Elk mountain with such school books as he possessed, and went to the little village of Summersville where he entered school and applied himself diligently until such time as he was enabled to teach. After teaching for some time to secure sufficient means to educate himself for the ministry, he entered college at Marietta, Ohio. After completing his course and graduating with honor, he went to Wheeling, W. Va., where he became principal of one of the city schools. In 1851, he was married to Miss Isabella S. Fisher of Wheeling. He felt the call to the ministry to be his life work, and after teaching in Wheeling and at the Clarksburg Academy, he again entered the work of the ministry which was so dear to his heart. He preached the gospel for many years, and held a number of prominent positions both in the ministry and in educational work.
In 1867, he moved his family from Cincinnati, Ohio, to Webster county where he went to recuperate his health which was failing from long and active service in the itinerancy. He regained his health in a large measure, and often preached the gospel with great earnestness and power. He was a member of the Cincinnati M. E. Conference in 1869. In his memories of him, Judge Wesley Atkinson says that, "As much as any other of his generation, in the state of his birth, he left his impress upon the times in which he lived." Rev. Arthur died Nov. 11, 1899, at Webster Springs, W. Va.
He inherited valuable lands in Webster county, and left quite a comfortable estate to his family. The children who succeeded him were William, a prominent business man of Webster county, and for several years was County Surveyor. William has since died. His daughters now living are Katie who was the wife of Captain Hillery (now dead), and Maggie who never married. One daughter Belle, died in Cincinnati before the family removed to W. Va.
The Rev. Arthur was a man of very fine talent. He was at one time Professor of Mathematics in a college in Ohio. As a pulpit orator, he had few equals. He grew up in the ministry, and received inspiration from all that was grand in Nature. The deep gorge and murmuring waters, the valleys and giant mountains with its ever living foliage, the song of every bird of the forest, was to him a melody, while the beauty of the flowers which God had created to beautify his handiwork was to him an inspiration that throughout his ministry never lost its charm.
Rev. Arthur, his wife and son William are resting in a beautiful plot of ground near Webster Springs on the banks of the Elk.
Solomon Baker and Mary, his wife, came from New River about the year 1812. They had several children, only two of whom became grown. Mr. Baker settled near the mouth of a run which empties into the Elk about a mile below the site of the old Union mills. It is now known as Bakers run.
E. D. Barnett, son of Nathan and Elizabeth Sutton Barnett, married Anna Hinkle. Their children were Miletus, Edna, Becky and Early. For his second wife, he married Malinda Sowers, daughter of Henry Sowers. By this union, he had one daughter, Esther. Mr. Barnett served through the war of the 60's in the Confederate army. He owns a farm and lives on Wolf creek, and is a member of the M. P. Church.
John D. Barnett, son of Nathan and Elizabeth Sutton Barnett, married Mary Sprigg, daughter of Edward G. and Martha Smith Sprigg. Their children were* [*sentence is left hanging and no children are listed]
Rev. M. L. Barnett, son of Nathan and Elizabeth Sutton Barnett, married Liza Hamric. They had one daughter who died early in life. The parents and daughter are buried on Hackers creek where the best years of his ministry were spent.
Nathan Barnett, was son of Isaac Barnett, and came with his father from Ohio and settled on Granny's creek some years before the formation of the county. Nathan married Elizabeth, daughter of John D. and Sally Sutton. Their children were Meletis L., John D., Susan who married Dr. Thomas Duffield, Isaac who died young, Edward D., James K., Wm. M., Poindaxter W., and Flex J. For his second wife he married the widow Duffield whose maiden name was Lydda Knight. They reared one daughter, Rebecca. Mr. Barnett died in 1861.
Felix Josephus Baxter was the oldest child of William D. and Anna C. Baxter, and was born in or near Sutton, Aug. 10, 1830. In 1858, he was admitted to the bar and began the practice of law at Clay C. H. In 1861, being opposed to slavery , he joined the Union army, again locating at Clay C. H. after the termination of that bloody conflict. In 1869, he married Miss Sarah Prudence Duffy of Nicholas county, and moved to Sutton, and Mrs. Rose T. Cunningham of Fayetteville. In 1894, he married Miss Margaret e. Berry, a well-known lady of this county, who survives him.
The subject of this sketch was surveyor of this county from 1855 to 1858, was prosecuting attorney of Clay county and afterwards of Braxton county, and served one term in the state senate, having been elected in 1876. He was the first mayor of Sutton after the town was re-incorporated in 1873, and later served in that capacity. Until fifteen years before his death, he continued the practice of law in Braxton and adjoining counties. The date of his death was 1909. His remains rest in the Duffy cemetery at Sutton.
Rev. Henry Allen Baxter was born in Braxton county June 15, 1832, and died near the place of his birth, April 30, 1915. He was the son of Wm. D. and Anna C. Sutton Baxter. He was united in marriage with Caroline Hudkins May 25, 1858, who died Sept. 27, 1876, leaving him the care and training of their two sons, Wilbur C. and J. Oscar, who survive him, and are honored and useful citizens. Early I life he was converted and united with the M. E. church, at the age of twelve years, in which he lived to the time of his lamented death; having been a member of the same seventy-one years. Soon after he continued actively as opportunity afforded and occasion required, to within two years of his death, when from excessive labors in conducting a series of meetings he was compelled to retire permanently. This meeting which resulted in over a score of conversions added several members to the church.
[book contains mistype - part of a sentence from another bio and this incomplete wording:]
He is a than Henry Allen Baxter. In his younger days, he was possessed of a musical voice, and often in his public discourses he became eloquent. He was an untiring worker in the Sabbath schools. [end mistype]
He was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace in 1862, and was elected County Assessor, but the war prevented him from serving in that capacity. After the close of the Civil war, he was elected to the office of County Treasurer. He died, loved and respected by all.
Wm. D. Baxter was born in Greenbrier county, Virginia, March 25, 1795. Ann C. Sutton, daughter of James Sutton, of Alexander, Va., was born October 17, 1804. They were married October 21, 1828, and the following are their children:
Few men have lived in our community who commanded greater respect born July 16, 1834; Susan C., born May 17, 1836; John D. S., born August 21, 1838; Jemima A., born June 1, 1841, and Joseph A., born one hour later; James A., born August 10, 1846; Mary M., born November 28, 1848.
Capt. Henry Bender, was the first-born of the children of John and Ann C. (Dabus) Bender, and his birth occurred Aug. 25, 1840, while his parents were living in Baltimore. They came to this county in the following year.
Henry Bender was united in marriage to Elizabeth Engle, and to this union nine children have been born, eight of whom are still living.
Their names are as follows; Rosa Ann, Leona Hester, Mary Bernice, Lillian Dale, Lucy Lee, Christena Caroline, Julia Alwilda and Victor Goff.
Henry Bender enlisted Jan. 7, 1862 in Company F, 10th West Virginia Infantry, and on the 3rd of May, 1862, was commissioned second lieutenant. He was in the engagement of Wardensville, Beverly, Droop Mountain, Cheat river, Leetown, Maryland Heights, Snickers Ferry, Winchester, Berryville, Opequon, Fishers Hill, Cedar Creek (two battles), the transferred to the army of the James, and engage in the fight at Petersburg, and was present at the surrender of Lee. He was slightly wounded at Droop Mountain and again at Opequon, and received brevet-rant of captain April 20, 1865. In a civil capacity he was the first supervisor of Lincoln township, now Otter district, and was elected magistrate in 1866, serving one year. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1868, sheriff of Braxton county in the fall of 1870, and served two years, member of the board of education in 1881, and is still serving. He is a retired farmer, living on Straight fork of Steer creek, having five hundred acres of land.
Samuel Bennett and Annary Mayfield were married Dec 28, 1866 by Rev. George McIntire, M. E. preacher in Tyler county. Their living children are John, Permela, Porter, Lymon, Mariah, Charles, Scott, James, Henry and Martha, twins, Sarah, Samuel, Jr., and Ollie. There were seven sets of twins who died before being named, thus Mrs. Bennett gave birth to twenty-nine children.
Porter relates that he taught school in which ten of his brothers and sisters attended.
Mr. Bennett was a soldier in the 15th West Virginia Infantry. He and his wife are yet living, and still enjoy good health. Their home is near Tannersville in Gilmer county, this state.
Mr. and Mrs. Bennett celebrated their golden wedding anniversary Dec., 28, 1916, and are residents of Roane county.
Allen S. Berry, fourth son of William and Synthia Triplet Berry, was born in Lewis county, now Braxton county, August 28, 1821. He married Rebecca Alkire in 1840 and their children were William, Charles W., Homer, Emery A., David A., Joel M., John C., Racheal, Malissqa, Synthia, and Margaret. Mr. Berry was a farmer and owned a good farm on Obrien's Fork of Salt Lick creek, where his son John C. now resides. He was for several years a justice of the peace, and had other important positions; was a member of the M. E. Church, South, and died in the year 1893
Charles Emery Berry, was a son of Emory Allen Berry. His mother was Caroline Anderson, daughter of John Anderson. Mr. Berry was born Jan. 6, 1863, and died Feb. 20, 1914. His wife was Hermonie Ophelia Whtie, daughter of John W. and Charlotte Mitchell White. Their children were Rubal Bennett, Hallie Mitchell and Newlon White.
Mr. Berry was educated in the public schools of Braxton, his native county, and when a young man, went west and after a few years looking over the western country, came back and married, and settled on his father's farm on Fall run where he engaged in farming and merchandising for a few years. He then moved to Sutton and kept hotel until he was appointed Superintendent of the County Infirmary. After two years of service in that Institution, he died of cancer of the liver. Mr. Berry was a kind an congenial gentleman, he had an estimable family and his wife was a lady of culture and nobility of character.
Craven Berry, third son of William and Cynthia (Triplett) Berry, was born in Louden county, Va., Nov. 3, 1814, and died Dec. 31, 1905, at the advanced age of ninety-one years.
On Feb. 26, 1818, Wm. Berry, his father, migrated to the wilds of what was then Lewis county (now Braxton) settling on the waters of Salt Lick, a tributary of the Little Kanawha river, arriving there on April 3rd. The means of travel was by a four-horse wagon. Many places along the way, roads had to be made and temporary bridges constructed. The travel required more than a month. Craven was in his fourth year. The family lodged in a 12x14 hunter's cabin, shrouded by a dense forest of a pioneer life, he grew to manhood blessed with a sturdy, physical frame.
In 1839, he was united in marriage to Miss Susan Cunningham. To this union were born eight children; five sons, Wm. C., Jesse, Thornton T., John P. and Asa M., and three daughters, Louise, Vena and Lucy.
James Berry, son of Joe Berry, was a soldier in the Confederate army. He married Betty, daughter of Elijah and Elizabeth Gibson Squires, and settled on a farm near Stone Run Church, where he raised a large family of children, who grew to be men and women. They are all married and have families. Mr. Berry and wife are living, at a good old age, having recently celebrated their Golden Wedding.
Joel Berry, second son of William and Synthia Triplet Berry, was born in Louden county, Virginia, November 9th, 1812, and married Elizabeth Cummings who was born December 18th, 1812. To this union were born Wm. H., Ephriam A., Thornton J., Manervia A., James W., Mariah A., Sarah E., Granville M., and Joel T. Mr. Berry owned a farm and lived on Obrien's Fork of Salt Lick creek where his son Thadeous now lives. Mr. Berry died August 1st, 1896, and his wife died December 26th, 1896; they were honored and respected citizens.
William Berry was the only son of William and Mary (Hagan) Berry - English extraction. William Berry was born in Virginia, near tide-water in 1778. A sister, dying in childhood, being the only other child. The children were left fatherless early in life. William was educated for a sea captain, but did not like it, and on returning from a second voyage across the water, at the age of nineteen, deserted the ship on which his mother had placed him.
Early in life, he married Miss Agnes Kitchen, sweetheart of his boyhood. Five sons, William, Fielding, James, Lewis and Benjamin, and two daughters, Mary and Emza, were born. All, save the last one named, married and reared large families.
The wife of his youth having died, he married Miss Cynthia Triplett. Four sons, Thornton, Joel, Craven, Allen S. and Washington H. and three daughters Agnes, Elizabeth and Lucinda S., were born. All married and had families.
In the spring of 1818, William Berry emigrated from Loudon county, Va., to what is now Braxton county, and settled on the O'Briens fork of Salt Lick creek, a veritable wilderness. He was the first school "master" in Braxton county. Felix Sutton, Mrs. Anna Sutton Baxter, Christian Hyer, William Gibson and William Betts among his pupils. He died a the age of 69 years, and his remains rest on an eminence on the farm of the late Col. Asa Squires, overlooking the valley of Salt Lick.
We cannot say too much in praise of this old nobleman of the forest and the school room. His numerous progeny attest his character and virtues - he imparted to his race that energy, frugality and honesty which have marked their generations down to the present time. He came to a wilderness country where young men and women were growing up without any educational advantages, and he gathered many of them around him and gave them the rudiments of an education which enabled them to transact business, fill important stations in life, and become useful as teachers to others. The influence of such a life will go on and on until the humble slab at his grave will have moldered into dust.
William Berry, son of Fielding Berry, married Evelyn Alkire; their children were, Fielding, James, John, Joel, David T., Granvil, Martha, Virginia and Mary. Their son John was a physician. Mr. Berry and his son Fielding were killed or died in the Confederate army. Mrs. Berry is living in her 94th year, and her friends are hopeful that she may reach the century mark.
Edwin S. Bland was born at Weston in 1835, son of above mentioned parents [Thomas Bland]. He married Lavinia E. Evans in 1859 at Morgantown, and their union was blessed with nine children: George T., Mary N., Edwin L., Harry E., Frank G., Charles H., Julia, Thomas E. (deceased), and Earl Dorsey.
Edwin S. Bland began to read law at the age of twenty-one with Judge John Brannon, and was admitted to practice in 1859. He continued the practice of law, also taught in the public schools of Sutton for many years. He died Feb.1, 1903.
Thomas Bland was born in 1796, in Fairfax county, Va., a descendant of Theodoric and Richard Bland, who were among the pioneer settlers of Fairfax county. Thomas Bland served in the 1812 war, and was at the siege of Fort Meigs. He married Mary Newlon who was born in 1796, and the settled in Lewis county, first at a place called Westfield where the county seat of that county was originally designated to be located, and then at Weston where Thomas Bland built the first hotel. He represented his district in the state Senate a number of terms, and was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1850, was a number of years Deputy Sheriff for Lewis county, and a man of note in the county. Mrs. Edmiston, Mrs. Brannon, and Mrs. Jacob Lorentz were the three daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bland. Their sons were Dr. W. J. who was at one time superintendent of insane asylum at Weston; Thedric G., (died in 1845), Thomas, (died in 1834), Newton B., (at one time physician of Weston), Dr. John T., (murdered on the Mississippi in 1876) and Edwin S. Thomas Bland died in 1867, and his widow died in 1882.
Levi Bond, born in Harrison county, Va., April 3, 1817. He was the son of Abel Bond, and grandson of Major Richard Bond. This noted family came from Maryland to Virginia, in the seventeenth century, and settled on Lost Creek, Harrison county. Levi Bond celebrated his hundredth birthday, April 3, 1918, at which there was a large gathering of representative citizens present. For almost 60 years he has been a Deacon in the Seventh Day Baptist Church, of Lost Creek, and has been a member of that church for eighty-five years, joining the church while in his teens. There are but two of his nine children now living, Mrs. Mary A. Courtright, of Lost creek, with whom he makes his home, grand children, and one great-great grand child, Maxine Zollinger, the little daughter of Eva Zollinger, of Philippi. Mr. Bond was a boot and shoe maker, and worked on the bench for over sixty years.
The Bosley Family
Wm. Bosley, an Englishman, came to Baltimore and thence to Braxton county early in the eighteenth century. Peter the only one of the family now living, was born on Little Kanawha river nearly ninety-three years ago. He has for a great many years lived on his farm on Cedar creek. About a year or so ago, he lost the use of his eye sight entirely. He is living with his son, Wm., who was a Confederate soldier. It is extremely rare at this day to see an old man and his soldier boy who participated in the Civil war over fifty years ago.
(Later) - Since the above was written, Peter Bosley has passed away.
The Byrne Family - This family in all probability settled in America early in its history, one George Byrne being the first to come, he having come from the county of Wicklow, Ireland, and settled in Virginia. The only accurate data we have on this pioneer family is furnished by Prof. S. B. Brown of Morgantown.
Samuel Byrne married Clary Buckner, and to this union were born seven children, as follows: Peyton Byrne married Barbara Linn before 1790 and moved from Prince William county, Va., in 1794 to Preston county, and in 1798 he moved on to a four-hundred acre tract of land at the mouth of Salt Lick creek, this county. He was sheriff of Lewis county when he died in 1824. His wife Barbara died in 1838. Their age at time of death is not known. To continue with names of the children - Sarah married Jacob Zinn, Mary married John Fairfax, Charles married Charlotte Ash, Thomas married Rebecca Dorsey, John never married, and Elizabeth married Archibald Anderson.
Peyton Byrne was born near Dumfries, Va., his wife undoubtedly being from the same place, and they were married there. Their children were eight in number, as follows: John B. married Ann Haymond, Samuel married Elizabeth Low, and died on Salt Lick Creek; Thomas and Peyton Buckner went to Kentucky where they settled and reared the family of that name in that State; Charles died at home; Nancy married Wilson Haymond; Elizabeth married Jesse Arnold of Harrison county; and Mary died unmarried.
John B. Byrne - died July 8, 1846, and his wife, Ann Haymond Byrne, died December 25, 1846. the children of this union were William H., quite prominent in the early history of this country; John P. also was a prominent figure in the early organization of the county, he having been one of the first deputy sheriff's under John Clifton. He was later County Clerk, and died Feb. 2, 1860. He married Sabina C. Sterrett April 3, 1845. To this union were born Margaret A., wife of J. M. Boggs; John, Andrew, Amelia and Effie. His second wife was Jane Hamilton, and to this union were born Rebecca, wife of James Taylor Frame, Charles Y., and Peyton. The two surviving children of John P. Byrne are John Byrne of Sutton, of the first marriage, and Peyton Byrne of Washington, D. C., by the second marriage.
The children of this family who have been honored by elective offices in Braxton were John who was elected Sheriff; Charles Y. Byrne was electged Circuit Clerk of the county for three terms, and at the time of his death was in office. We doubt whether any man ever lived in Braxton who had more friends than he. Peyton Byrne represented his county in the Legislature for one term.
The other children of John B. Byrne were Roena H., married Jas. R. Dyer; Benjamin W., well known by all throughout the state; Marcellus, Tom M., Thaddeus, Miranda, Sarah E. Dunlap, Maria Darlington, and Mary A., who married Judge Homer A. Holt.
John Byrne married Francis Catherine Squires, daughter of the late Norman B. and Rheuma Squires, and to this union were born Sabina C., wife of the late Joel S. Berry, Norman, Ella, wife of Dr. M. T. Morrison; John Peyton, Guy (deceased), Chas. M. Russel (deceased), Mamie, wife of John Newlon; Robert, Hugh, Ethel, George Coble and Clarence.
Benjamin Wilson Byrne was born May 16, 1820, near Burnsville, in Lewis (now Braxton county) Virginia. He was the son of John B. Byrne and Ann Haymond Byrne. His ancestors settled in Prince William county, Virginia, in 1720. Early in the last century his father moved to and settled in what was then Harrison (now Braxton county). His family connections were numerous, and among them were the Haymonds, Wilsons, Camdens, Holts and other distinguished families who adorned the history of Virginia and later West Virginia. He was well educated and studied law at the famous law school of Judge Lucas P. Thompson in Staunton, Va. In 1848, almost as soon as he was licensed to practice law, he was elected to the legislature from the district composed o Braxton, Lewis and Gilmer, the same territory now covering Calhoun, Upshur, half of Clay and half of Webster, and portions of Barbour and Ritchie, a grand constituency. He served in the session of 1848-49, and in the extra session of 1849, called to revise the code.
In 1849, he married Mary Louisa Holt, daughter of Jonathan Holt, and sister of the late Hon. Homer a. Holt, of the Supreme bench, and also of Mrs. T. B. Camden of Parkersburg. He was again elected to the legislature in 1857 from the counties of Braxton and Nicholas, and in that year he had the new county of Clay carved out of Kanawha, Braxton and Nicholas. He served in another session in 1858.
Colonel Byrne's children surviving him are Mrs. J. C. Given of Canton, Ohio; Mrs. J. M. Boggs of Big Otter, this state; Mrs. M. W. Venable, Mrs. Olin White, George Byrne and W. E. R. Byrne of Charleston. These and their children and his devoted widow will mourn him and revere his memory as a beloved husband and an unselfish and ever kind father, while this city and state will always honor the memory of his useful and honorable life. His death occurred at Charleston in September, 1903
Charles Byrne was an early settler on Salt Lick. He married Temperance Gibson, and moved to Illinois many years ago.
W. E. R. Byrne was born Oct. 26, 1862, at Ft. Defiance, Va. His father, Benjamin W. Byrne, was a native of Braxton county, and his mother, Mary L. Holt, was born at Beaver, Pa. His grandparents were John B. Byrne an Anne Haymond.
Mr. Byrne was married June 12, 1889, to Amanda Austin, and their children are George A., Marie L., Barbara Linn, Charlottte and Wm. E. R., Jr. W. E. R. Byrne served as Prosecuting Attorney from 1893 to 1897, an moved to Charleston Jan. 1, 1897, where he now resides.
Mr. Byrne is a man of sterling character, a safe councilor and a strong advocate. He formed a partnership with G. R. Linn, and they have a lucrative and extensive practice in Charleston.
The Camden Family: There were three brothers who came over from England, namely: Richard, John and Henry. Henry settled in lower Maryland, married and had three children, Joseph, Hester and Susan. He married a second time a widow named Shrievner, who had a daughter by a former marriage, and she married Joseph Camden. Their issue was eight children.
Edwin D. Camden was born March 30th, 1840, and married Elizabeth * married Lee Jack; Anna, died; Kate, married Burk Hall; Minnie, married James Morrison; Flora married Bedford Jones; Bessie, married Ralph Holden.*
E. D. Camden, was captain of Company "C," 25th Virginia Infantry Volunteers. He served the entire period of the Civil war, and saw much hard service under the command of Stonewall Jackson, also in prison where he was exposed to the fire of his own men. Captain Camden by occupation is a farmer, and is a member of the Baptist Church.
[*Transcribers note: the first paragraph is as written except one line was repeated. It appears that a line was omitted and the next line duplicated in its place].
Rev. Henry B. Camden was born May 4, 1773, and married Jan 8, 1793, to Mary Belt Sprigg, daughter of Major Frederic Sprigg and Deborah Woodward. Their issue was ten children: Debby, Frederic, John, Shrievner, Joseph Hill, Lenox Martin, Gideon Draper, Lorenzo Dow, Richard Pindal, Minerva Weems, Eliza Pool. Rev. Henry Camden was granted license to celebrate the rites of matrimony by the Harrison County Court, June, 1807, and for some time was a circuit rider in the M. E. Church. He served the church at Buckhannon, since known as Carper's church. He and his wife were buried at Jacksonville, Lewis county.
John Shrievner Camden was born Sept. 15, 1798, in Montgomery county, Md., and married Nancy Newlon, daughter of Wm. And Sarah Furr Newlon, Feb 20, 1825, issue, fourteen children: Wm. H., Johnson, Newlon, Thomas Bland, Mary B., Sarah E., Harriet, Richard, Ann, Edwin D., Wm. D., Lorenzo Dow, Amanda E., Mary Matilda, and John Scribner.
Mr. Camden settled in Sutton in 1837, and was a prominent man in the affairs of the county. He represented the county in the Virginia Legislature two terms, 1845-1846, for Lewis, Gilbert and Braxton counties, and served in various capacities as an official of the county. For many years, kept a public tavern on the corner of Main and Bridge streets in Sutton where most of the children were born. He died in Weston, May 25, 1862, and his wife died Feb. 18th, 1862. They were buried at Weston, Lewis county, this state.
Hon. Johnson Newlon Camden was born in Collins Settlement, Lewis county, W. Va., March 6th, 1828. His parents were John S. and Nancy Newlon Camden. Mr. Camden, about the time of the formation of the county of Braxton, in 1836, removed to Sutton, where he reared his family and continued to reside until the Civil war broke out. Johnson N. the subject of this sketch, at the age of 14, went to Weston and entered the service of the County Clerk for one year. He the attended the North-Western Academy for three years. The following year was spent as Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court of Braxton county, with his uncle, Wm. Newlon. He then received an appointment as Cadet at West Point Military Academy, but remained only through half the course. His mind being directed toward the law, he was in 1851 admitted to the Bar, and was soon thereafter made Prosecuting Attorney for Braxton county and subsequently of Nicholas county. In 1853, Mr. Camden settled in Weston, and became Assistant Cashier of the Old Exchange Bank of Virginia. In 1856, he turned his attention to the manufacture of oil from Cannel coal, and later to the oil field at Burning Springs, on the Little Kanawha river. It was here that Mr. Camden's great financial talent, his close application to business, was displayed. It was there that he so wisely laid the foundation for a great fortune. Mr. Camden did more than any man to develop the natural resources of the great State of West Virginia. About 1875 he assisted in building the narrow gauge road from Clarksburg to Weston, thence to Buckhannon, and afterwards he was associated with Henry G. Davis and others in building the West Virginia Central. The railroad from Wheeling to Huntington was projected and built through Mr. Camden's resources and energy. The road from Buckhannon to Pickens, and from Clarksburg to Richwood and also to Sutton, and other lines aggregating about 500 miles, was projected and built by Mrt. Camden, and known as the Camden System. In all the large enterprises, involving millions of capital. Mr. Camden has either acted as President or as one of the directing minds in the direction of the business. Mr. Camden was twice elected to the United State Senate, by the Democratic party of West Virginia. In statesmanship he displayed that same careful and wise policy that characterizes his great business career. In 1858 Senator Camend married Anna, the daughter of the late George W. Thompson, of Wheeling, and his two surviving children are Johnson N. Camden, late Senator from Kentucky, and the wife of General B. d. Spillman, of Parkersburg.
Captain Granville C. Carlin, son of John and Sarah Gall Carlin, was born in Harrison county, VA., Nov. 4r, 1836. He moved to Braxton county in 1880. He served as Captain in the Confederate service in Company H, 18th Virginia Mounted Rifles. Captain Carlin married Susan, daughter of John W. Rider. Their children were …………, John M., Edward R., Edna L., and William R.
Captain Carlin owned two hundred and thirteen acres of land on Fall run of Little Kanawha were he resided for thirty-one years, his wife having died a few years since. He now lives with his son, Dr. wm. B. Carlin, near Crawford, W. Va.
Wm. Carpenter, now living at the advanced age of 94, son of Solomon, who was the first child born in the county. His birth place was under a cliff of rocks. Wm. is a grand son of Jeremiah, the first white settler in the county, and a great grand son of Wm. Carpenter, who was killed by the Indians on Jacksons river in 1764. Uncle Billy, as he is familiarly called, has spent the long years of his life on the Elk river, and has doubtless caught more fish and game on this beautiful stream then any man living, and is still able to enjoy his favorite sport. He is a citizen of Sutton and is universally respected.
The massacre of Benjamin Carpenter and his wife occurred in the spring of 1792, though Withers memoirs record it as late as 1793, and William Doddrill places the date as early as 1784, eight years before its actual occurrence. The account which he gives of the pursuit of the Indians after the murder of Benjamin Carpenter must have been the account of the time that Hughs and others trailed the Indians and came up with them when one of their number was killed on the Hughs river. The two Indians who found Carpenter and killed Benjamin, made their escape without being pursued. The summer of 1792 was the last Indian raid in central West Virginia except a party that made a raid in the Tygerts Valley as late perhaps as 1794.
Of this interesting pioneer family, more than a passing notice should be given. As early as 1790 or perhaps a year or two earlier, Jeremiah and Benjamin Carpenter settled on the Elk river near the mouth of the Holly. Their mother and a brother named Enos lived with them. Jeremiah settled on what is known as the Samuel Skidmore bottom, and Benjamin's cabin stood in the bottom just below the mouth of the Holly. Their father's name was William, and was killed at the Big Bend on Jacksons' river by the Indians, and his son Jeremiah was taken prisoner and remained with the Indians from his ninth to his eighteenth year. He together with three of his brothers, afterward became soldiers in the Revolutionary army.
Their settlement must have been a few years prior to 1792 as this is the date of the Indian raid in which his brother Benjamin and his wife were killed; and either at this time or perhaps a raid that was made a few months later, he and his family made their escape to a cliff of rocks, and within their stay there his son, Solomon was born, being the first white child born in the county.
Many incidents are related of this pioneer family by their descendants and the older people who have heard the story of their adventures.
Wm. Carpenter, familiarly known as "Squirrely Bill," who resides at Sutton, is in his 90th year, and is a son of Solomon Carpenter. He relates that his great uncle, Benjamin Carpenter who, with his wife was killed at the mouth of the Holly, was dressing a deer skin on the bank of the river just at the mouth of the Holly, when he was fired upon. It seems from his story and others of the Carpenter family, that there were two Indians, a large and a small Indian, and that the large one was unarmed and the smaller Indian fired the shot, but missed. At that Carpenter jumped and ran for his gun, but the large Indian reached the house first and secured Carpenter's gun, and was in the house when Carpenter entered the door. He fired and Carpenter fell outside, then the Indians tomahawked and scalped Mrs. Carpenter who was delicate and lying on the bed. They had no children. The Indians set fire to the cabin and left. Mrs. Carpenter had sufficient strength to crawl out in the yard. Only a few hours after this occurrence, Amos Carpenter came home. It seems that he had been either to the West Fork settlements or to Fork Lick on horseback and was returning with some meat. Mrs. Carpenter said to him, "The Indians have killed poor Ben and me," and he put her on the horse before him and started to go across the Elk just at the head of the island, and while he was crossing the river she died so he laid her body on some logs in a drift heap. He then hastened on to his brother Jerry's who lived above on the Skidmore bottom.
Wm. Carpenter also relates that Benjamin Carpenter's mother was at his house helping to burn some logs in a clearing, and that she was not discovered by the Indians. She saw them however, and also witnessed the shooting of her son Benjamin. She had one of her children with her, and she took the child and went up the river to give notice of the presence of the Indians. They then went back to the settlement and Jerry, his younger brother Jesse and a man by the name of Schoolcraft, came back and buried Benjamin and his wife. Withers fixes this date as being in the early spring, and this is carried out by traditional testimony. Benjamin had fallen so near the building that his body was nearly consumed by the fire. The Indians carried away his gun, also the coat in which he was married.
Wm. Carpenter says that later another raid was made by the Indians, and they are the ones who burned Jerry Carpenter's house and barn, partly destroyed an apple tree and cut down some green corn; also that this was the time his grandfather and uncle Amos went t the cliff where his father was born. Withers mentions only one Indian raid.
Thomas, Jeremiah and Solomon were privates in Capt. John Lewis' Botetourt county Regiment. Joseph Carpenter was a soldier and drew a pension, but it is not stated in what command her served. Thus we see that four brothers served their country as soldiers in the Revolution, and were the most daring and skillful Indian fighters the ever ventured to the wilds of central West Virginia.
Mrs. Carpenter said that the first thing which went into Solomon's mouth was bear's meat and sweet potatoes. There must have been a second raid as the circumstances would seem to bear out, hence it must have been later in the season as sweet potatoes do not mature before the latter part of August in that section, and the time could not have been much later than July or August as Jeremiah Carpenter buried his brother's body and that of his wife in bark coffins, and they could hardly obtain bark after the season named.
The Carpenters must have settled on the Elk a few years before this occurrence as they had some land cleared and some property. "Jerry" had planted some apple trees. The Indians cut a limb from one of the trees, but the tree lived and bore a red apple. It was called the Indian tree, and was living until a few years ago.
"Jerry" Carpenter and his wife are buried at the Skidmore cemetery not far from where his cabin used to stand. Mrs. Delila Coger, a granddaughter of Capt. John Skidmore, was born and reared on the Elk river where she now resides and is at this time over ninety years of age. She says after the massacre of the Carpenter family that his brother placed their bodies in bark which he peeled from the timber, and buried them on the island in the Elk just at the mouth of the Holly, and that he placed them at the head o the island which as since been washed away. About twenty-one years ago, the Holly River Lumber & Coal Company built a large band saw mill not far from where Carpenter's cabin stood. Wm. Gum and other who were purring down the foundation for the boilers or engine house, say they removed the head stones from two graves, and digging down about two feet in the earth which appeared to be loose they placed a cement foundation there. In speaking again to Mrs. Coger in reference to the matter, she still contended that Benjamin Carpenter and his wife were buried on the island, and that the graves discovered by the workmen were a part of the John Mollohan cemetery, but this graveyard is a mile or so above the mouth of the Holly. Wm. Carpenter says that his great uncle Benjamin and his wife were buried where the Palmer mill now stands and that he has often seen their graves, which doubtless is correct.
It is said that either at the time of the massacre or a later period of that season, Jeremiah took his family and went to a cliff of rocks, there watching the Indians burn his house and destroy his property. The cliff of rocks as pointed out is opposite the mouth of Baker's run on the north side of the Elk, and is situated near the top of the mountain overlooking the valley of the Elk for some distance. He and his family then made their way to a amp under a cliff of rocks near the head of Camp run, a branch of Laurel creek, about four miles above his residence at what is now known as the Skidmore bottom. Camp run is remarkably rough, and near the head are cliffs that look to be over a hundred feet high, with gulches and broken stone below, making the whole top of this mass of rock, a few yards back from it precipitous edges, where the famous Carpenter camp was, there being a large projecting rock which formed a room about 25x30 feet and 8 feet high. Between this camp and the edge of the cliff is a public road. It is related that Jeremiah Carpenter and his family waded up Laurel creek and Camp run to avoid making any sign by which they might be tracked by the Indians.
Joseph Carpenter, son of Solomon, relates that his great uncle Solomon and his wife went to the rocks with his grandfather, and that when his father was born he was named for his uncle Solomon. At the time of the Indian raid, there was a child in the Carpenter family named Libby, a granddaughter of old Mrs. Carpenter, mother of the Carpenter family. Mrs. Carpenter, as stated before, was burning some brush on the point between the Elk and the Holly, jut across the Holly from Benjamin's cabin. She discovered the Indians and started up the river to notify the family. The child Libby being too small to make her escape by flight, was placed in a hollow stump and told to be quiet. When Jeremiah saw his mother coming, he knew there was trouble. Her returned for the child. She lived to be a woman, and her daughter married a man named Andrew Ware. Withers speaks of a Carpenter being killed by the Indians on the little Kanawha river. He may have been a relative of this family. There remains a doubt as to the time that Jeremiah Carpenter fled to the rock cliffs, but the best impression seems to be when the massacre occurred, at which time the others fled to the settlement on the West Fork.
In April 1792, William Kipet and a Mr. Neal's son were killed up the Little Kanawha river by the Indians. As this was on the Indian trail leading to the upper settlements, it is probable that this murder was committed by the same band that killed Benjamin Carpenter and his family. That was the last raid made by the red men in central West Virginia. Both murders occurred in the same month and year, unless it be true that a later raid to the Carpenter settlement was made in the autumn of that year, which is most probable and is borne out by well authenticated traditional history.
Solomon Carpenter had four brothers. Joseph was killed while logging near Addison; Amos and Jeremiah, both of whom moved to the West Fork of the Little Kanawha and died there; and John who died on Camp run near the cliff under which his brother Solomon was born.
Solomon Carpenter was the father of seven sons and three daughters, viz: Thomas, John, Jacob, Benjamin, William Jl, Solomon, Joseph, Caroline, Mary and Elizabeth. Of these only three are living - William J., of venerable townsman, who is now past eighty years of age, Joseph who resides on Spring Ridge, and Elizabeth.
There is a daring adventure told of Solomon Carpenter's wife Betsy. She tied the children to the bed post, and went for the cows across the Elk river. In her absence the river raised, and she was unable to recross. Her husband being away, and the house being liable to attack by the Indians, she determined to risk her life by swimming across the river. Being unable to swim herself, she drove the cows in, caught the bull by the tail, wrapped the switch around her hands, plunged into the swollen Elk and crossed in safety. One of her daughters named Betsy married John P. Hosey.
The present and future generations that enjoy the blessings of civilization with all of it's immunities and advantages, and the hardships, the great endurance, the personal sacrifice and valiant daring of the early pioneers who forged the way to civilization through a land of savagery and privation.
James P Carr, was a native of England and came to America when a young man. He was a soldier in the U. S. Army, during the Revolutionary struggle. He died in Monroe county, Va.
His son, James Carr, came to the territory now embraced in Braxton, in the early settlement of the county. He was a soldier in the war of 1812.
He married Rebecca, daughter of James Boggs, and reared a large family of children: Andrew, John, Denum, Silas, rank B., Isaac, Henry, Anderson, Mary, Susan, Betty and Agnes.
Three of Mr. Carr's sons, Silas, F. B. and Isaac, were U. S. soldiers during the Civil war. Isaac was killed in front of Petersburg
R. M. Cavendish was born in Fayette county, May 12, 1863. His parents, J. M. Cavendish and R. J. Cavendish (nee Deitz), and grandparents, Andrew Cavendish, and Virginia Cavendish (nee Mclung), were natives of Greenbrier county. R. M. Cavendish was married August 9, 1888, to Sallie b. Williams. They have one daughter, Mary Elizabeth; a son, Willie Bryon, having died in childhood. Mr. Cavendish taught school for a period of sixteen years, having taught in the public schools, Burnsville academy, and was superintendent of Sutton schools. He graduated from Summersville Normal with degree of B. S. in 1898. Studied law at the W. Va. University, and was admitted to the bar in 1908. Prof. Cavendish represented Braxton county in the State Legislature, served the people for several years as County Surveyor, and as a Civil Engineer, he is very efficient, his services being in great demand. Prof. Cavendish descended from an old and honored family of England, the family immigrating to America, about the year 1760. William, the progenitor of the family, settled on the James river, afterward moving to Greenbrier county, and was sheriff of that county. When Kanawha county was formed, he was made the first clerk. His son Andrew was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was aid-de-camp to the Commanding General at Norfolk, Va.
Rev. Curtis W. Chenoweth, son of William North and Ann H. Stump Chenoweth, was born in Gilmer county, West Virginia. He attended the public schools and began teaching when quite young. So rapid was his progress in learning that he determined to acquire an education, but before going away to school he married Jessie Rider, daughter of Benjamin and Julia Hyer Rider, and he and his young wife attended school for a few months, then he began preaching and was appointed too the Rosedale circuit by the Conference of the M. E. Church. After serving that charge for one or two years, he took work near Buckhannon, where he and his wife for the next five years attended school at the same time filling a pastorate in Cambridge, and after his graduation he held the chair of oratory in Harvard. Recently he resigned all his work and joined the U. S. Army and was made Chaplin of the 302nd Mass. Field Artillery and ranks as First Lieutenant.
Lieut. Chenoweth descended from Revolutionary stock; his great, great grand father John Chenoweth served in Gen. Washington's army, and on his maternal side his great grand mother Edith Chenoweth was a daughter of Capt. John Skidmore of the Revolutionary army. His mother descended from Major George Stump, also of Revolutionary fame.
John Chenoweth was a Revolutionary soldier and his record in the war department is that he was in the battle of Brandywine. He was born November 15th, 1755; he lived in Randolph county, where he died and was buried near Elkins. His descendants placed a monument at his grave. There his son Robert was born July 4th, 1782. He married Edith, daughter of Capt. John Skidmore; they moved to the Holly river and settled on the big bottom known as the Skidmore farm, and afterward moved to the Elk river, not far from Frametown. Mrs. Chenoweth was born September 15th, 1788; they spent the last years of their lives on the Westfork in Roane county, where they are buried.
Their son David W. Chenoweth was born November 22, 1831, in Randolph county, Virginia, and came to the Holly River with his parents in his fourth year. He relates that he rode horse back with his mother and part of the time she carried him in her lap. He remembers crossing the Little Kanawha river at Bulltown; the river was swollen and one of Mr. Haymond's colored men set them over in a canoe. Mr. Chenoweth married a Miss Mollohan and reared a large family. His is now, 1918, living at his old home on the Westfork in his 87th year.
The children of Robert and Edith Skidmore Chenoweth were Susana, Rachael, Leah, Anna, Emma, Edith, Ira S., Sarah J., Isaac R., James and David W. David, the youngest and only one living, enjoys the distinction of being one o two living grand children of John Chenoweth, the Revolutionary soldier, the other being Calvin Hart of Randolph county. Also he and Delilah Cogar are the only living grand children of Capt. John Skidmore, who was wounded at the battle of Point Pleasant.
Samuel J. Clawson - Any history of the Methodist Protestant church without the name of Samuel J. Clawson, would be incomplete. He was one of the noted pioneer preachers in Central West Virginia. He preached the word without fear or favor and could meet and put to flight the boldest and most daring skeptic; he roamed the mountains and searched the valleys for sinful men to call them to repentence. At times in his preaching he would reach such a climax in the denunciation of sin that it seemed like a thunderbolt from the sky. Rev. Clawson was born in Pennsylvania and was the son of a Revolutionary soldier. He began preaching in 1834 in his native state, but for many years his labors were in West Virginia, where he was universally beloved.
Rush Conrad, son of A. R. and Lydia E. Conrad, and grandson of John and Rachel Conrad, was born March 25, 1820, at Bulltown. He was married Nov. 16, 1843, to Lydia E. Singleton. He was a farmer, and a member of the Baptist Church.
Roy Bird Cook was born April 1, 1886, at Roanoke, Lewis county. His father, David Bird Cook, was a native of Weston, and his mother, Dora Elizabeth Conrad, was born at Roanoke. His paternal grandparents, John Cook and Margaret A. Bird, were born in Virginia, while the maternal grandparents, Isaac N. Conrad, was born at Culpepper, Va., and Mary Queen, at Johnstown, this state.
Mr. Cook was married August 23, 1907, to Nelle Williams Camden, a daughter of John S. Camden of Parkersburg, formerly of Braxton county. The names of his children are Nelle Elizabeth, Eleanor Bird and Mary Randolph. Mr. Cook is a resident of Huntington, and is a druggist by occupation.
The Corley Family
Minoah* Corely, with his family and three of his brothers, came from near Cork in Ireland about the year 1765, and setytled in Farquier county, Va. One brother settled near Lexington, S. C., on the James river below Richmond, and the other went farther south.
The children of Mineah* Corley and his wife whose maiden name was Fogg, were Richard who lived to be one hundred and five years old, John Gabriel, Garland, William, Hezekiah and Agnes. The last named married Jonathan Poe. Three of the other daughters married ………… Blagg, ……….. Fishback and ……… Lewis. Three of these women lived to be over one hundred years of age, and one reached the extreme age of one hundred and eight years.
William married Catharine Whitman, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Whitman. Their children were Noah, Edwin, James, Madison, Henry Whitman, John Marshall, William Fogg, Allen Lewis. [*as spelled in bio]
Allen Lewis Corley, son of William and Catharine Whitman Corley, and grandson of Manoah Corley (his grandmother being a Miss Fogg).
Mr. Corley was raised in Randolph county, Virginia. He came to Braxton county about he year 1858, and married Rebecca Boggs, daughter of Benjamin L. Boggs.
Mr. Corley's children were M. F. and Jane C. married C. M. Mollohan. One child died young.
Mr. Corley was a soldier in the Confederate army in Capt. McNeal's Company.
He was Secretary of the Board of Education of Birch District No. 1 for several years, and ballot commissioner for the county. He died August, 1915.
A. W. Corley, son of William and Sarah (Skidmore) Corely, was born June 9, 1851. He married Anne Dow Newlon, daughter of Colonel Wm. And Elisa Pool (Camden) Newlon, on Nov. 13, 1877. Their children are: Ann Elisa, Rachael, Jane, Mary Edith, Nellie Camden, Genevieve, Marguerite and Sarahpool. [sic]
James Madison Corley was the son of William Corley of Randolph county. He was for many years a citizen of Braxton, and served as Sheriff and Deputy Sheriff, also a member of the County Court.. He also served one term in the State Senate. Mr. Corley married Edith, daughter of James Skidmore. Their children were John P., a Federal soldier who was killed in the battle of Kernstown, Va., and Virginia who married James Conrad of Lewis county. Mrs. Edith Corley died at their home near Boling Green in the spring of 1851, and is buried there by the side f Mr. Corley's mother, the grave being marked by a plain marble slab. Shortly after the death of Mrs. Corley, Mr. Corley married Miss Deborah Camden Sprigg, daughter of John and Elizabeth Sprigg, formerly of Maryland. The children of this union were Henry Sprigg, Elizabeth who married Warren Gandy, Catherine who married George Woodard, and James who died in early childhood. Mr. Corley was a soldier in the Union army, and served in the same company with his son. He died near Clarksburg, W. Va., in 1881. Mr. Corley was a kind and congenial man, hospitable in his home, but at times became irritable. He was Whig of the old Clay and Harrison type
Manoah Corley, son of William and Catherine Whitman Corley, was born and reared in Randolph county, and was a soldier in the Federal army. He was captured at Winchester, Virginia, and died in prison. His son, Jackson L. Corley, who was so well known to the citizens of Braxton county, was a soldier in the Confederate army.
W. L. J. Corely was born July 27, 1827, in what is now included in Barbour county, West, Va. He was a son of Noah E. and Louisa (Wilson) Corley, and his father died in the army in 1864. Mr. Corley, subject of this sketch, enlisted as a private in the Confederate army, and after one year's service was commissioned lieutenant of Company C, 25th Virginia Infantry, and served through the entire war. He was captured at Williamport, Maryland, July 14, 1863, just after the Gettysburg fight, in which he was wounded, and was carried to Hagerstown, Md. He was held there until the following September, then taken to Chester, Pa., thence to Point Lookout, Md., and on Dec. 1st, was then taken to Washington City. He was there confined in the Old Capitol Prison one week, then sent to Philadelphia, thence to Ft. Delaware where he arrived in Sept., and where he was exchanged Oct. 1st. He was unfit for duty, and remained in hospital at Liberty, Va., until the close of the war. After returning to Braxton county, he held several county offices. On Sept 12, 1878, he married the widow of Wm. Kelly who before her marriage was Sarah C. Newlon, and two daughters were born to them, Louisa and May. Being clerk of the County Court at the time of his marriage. Mr. Corley, issued his own marriage license, the only incident of the kind recorded in Braxton county.
Wm. Fogg Corley, son of Wm. And Catherine Whitman Corley, was raised in Randolph county, Virginia. He married Sarah Ann Skidmore, daughter of James and Sarah Kittle Skidmore.
The children of Wm. Corley were Wm. H. H. who was a soldier in the Tenth W. Va. Regiment, Archibald W. who was a lawyer, Mary, Addison, Rachael, Stephen, Noah E. and Lida
Abel R. Cunningham, son of Thomas and Catharine (Runnyan) Cunningham, was born in Lewis county, July 16, 1819. He came to Braxton county in 1840, and commenced working by the month, making brick fo the first courthouse. He then engaged in farming and lumbering, in which business he engaged for many years. On Sept. 11, 1845, he married Mary C., daughter of Benjamin L. and Jane (Cutlip) Boggs. Following are names of their children: Catharine Jane (deceased), Benjamin F., Susan L., Mary M., Rebecca L., Enos (died in infancy), Caroline, Thomas H. Mr. Cunningham served two terms as Justice of the Peace before the Civil war. He was a successful farmer and died possessed of valuable real estate.
E. H. Cunningham, son of Moses and Phoebe W. (Haymond) Cunningham, and a grandson of John Haymond, of the first and most prominent of the settlers of Bulltown. He was born on the Kanawha river, Aug. 3, 1845, and this county has always been his home. He has been honored with several public offices, all of which, he has filled with ability. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1880, succeeding his father in the office; was appointed Notary Public in 1879 by Governor Mathews, and was elected to the County Court in July, 1881, and he is still serving in this capacity. At later dates, he served as Overseer of the Poor, president of the County Court, and president of the board of education in that district. He still owns the excellent farm where he has lived for a great many years. He married Sarah M. Armstrong, May 16, 1877. She was a daughter of George and Sarah H. (Pullen) Armstrong who came from Highland county, Va., to Lewis county many years ago. George H., John H. and Floda are the children of Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Cunningham. There was also an infant who did not live to bear a name. Mrs. Cunningham was appointed postmistress in 1879, which place she filled for a number of years.
George H. Cunningham, son of E. H. Cunningham, married Isa Norman. They have one child named Paul W. Mr. Cunningham is by profession a civil engineer; he lives in Clarksburg, West, Va,.
John C. Cunningham was born Jan. 9, 1814, in Randolph county, (then) Virginia, being a son of Henry and Nancy (Hayes) Cunningham. At an early age, he accompanied his parents to this county, and the lives of both were here ended. On Jan. 19, 1843, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Armstrong who was born in Pendleton county, Dec. 19, 1836, being the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Pullins) Armstrong. Thirteen children were born, as follows: Hanson, H. Thomas, Thad. B., Margaret Ann, Sarah, George L., Nancy, Samuel L., Elizabeth, Emily, Amanda, Mary Jane (who died at age fourteen), and Melissa. John C. Cunningham settled on a tract of nine thousand acres, and by his own toil felled the forest, made a home, and left his family provided for. He died July 15, 1877, and is buried in the family cemetery on the farm.
John H. Cunningham, son of E. H. Cunningham, married Mary Singleton. They have one child named Beatrice. He lives on the old farm near the Kanawha river at Bulltown.
T. B. Cunningham was a grandson of Henry Cunningham, one of the pioneers of what is now Braxton county, and a son of J. E. and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Cunningham whose record has just been given. He married Ann Moss, Dec, 24, 1882, she being the daughter of Pleasant and Elizabeth (Bragg) Moss of Lewis county.
Wilson Cutlip, son of Dr. Samuel Cutlip, married Lucinda Sutton, Berry, daughter of William Berry. Their children were Newton, Elizabeth, Catherine, Jane, Samuel, James E., John, Joel, Abel and Theodosia. Two children died in infancy. He owned a fine farm on Cedar Creek. Mr. Cutlip died in _____, and Mrs. Cutlip married Wm. Burk, and after his death she married for her third husband ______ Messenger. She survived the death of Mr. Messenger and died in her 88th year. She was a woman of study qualities and exemplary in character.
James E. Cutlip, son of Wilson and Lucinda Berry Cutlip, and grandson of Dr. Samuel Cutlip, one of the pioneer settlers of Central West Virginia, was born at Cutlipville, Braxton county, November 23rd, 1864, brought up on a farm, he learned those habits of energy and industry so essential to a successful life. After attending the public schools, he spent three years in the West Virginia University, and for three years he was Principal of the Public Schools in Ripley, Jackson county, and for one year was the Principal of Public Schools of Ravenswood. He studied law in the offices of Warren Miller, Congressman from the Fourth District. He was admitted to the Bar, and practiced in Jackson, moving to Braxton county in 1893. He was twice elected Prosecuting Attorney of Braxton county, and in 1971, was appointed by Governor Cornwell, Pardon Attorney for the State. On March 28, 1898, he was united in marriage to Miss Maude Lambert. To this union were born six children, Eldridge, Richard, Edwin, Katharine, Jean and Thornton, and by a former marriage he had one daughter, Reca. Mr. Cutlip's home is in South Sutton.
James Daly was born in 1849, one mile east of Heater station. Both his parents and grandparents were born in Ireland. Mr. Daly was educated in the public schools, and taught several terms. He is now engaged in farming and stock raising, and owns the McAnany farm. Mr. Daly is an enterprising man, and highly esteemed as an exemplary citizen.
Rev. Danial H. Davis was born March 19, 1838, in Randolph county. His parents, Jesse Davis, and Permelia Lloyd Prine Davis, were both natives of Pendleton county. His grandparents, Thomas Davis and Aurelia (Pennington) Davis, were natives of Virginia. Mr. Davis has been married three times. He first marriage was to Susanna Kendall of Mannington, W. Va., in Nov., 1862, and the following children were born: Mary Isabelle, William F., Benjamin Franklin. Second marriage was to Maria Louisa Kendall of Harrisville, this stte, on Nov. 11, 1875, and two children were born: Herbert K. and Linnell H. The third marriage took place June 15, 1893, to Anna Laura Bookman of St. Marys, W. Va. To this union were born four children: Lorena May, Daniel Holland, John Waitman and Mildred Eveline.
Mr. Davis has been a minister of the Methodist Protestant church, and for some years editor of the Christian Echo. For the last eleven years, he has been editor, proprietor and publisher of the Mikrophone, and resides at Pullman.
His great grandfther, Thomas Davis, emigrated from England when a young man, and served the American colonies through the Revolutionary war. He married Nancy Baker of Baltimore who was of Irish descent. They had three sons: James, a preacher, Thomas (grandfather of subject of this sketch), and Benjamin who went south in an early day before adequate mail service was established, and has never been heard of by the family since. There were also several daughters in this family but there seems to be no available knowledge concerning them. Rev. D. H. Davis has been in the active ministry for over half a century, and is calmly waiting the going down of a brilliant sunset.
Harrison L Dean, son of Ferdinand L. and Mahala Crites Dean, was born August 22, 1855, in Upshur county, West Va. He married Florence Shreve, December 20, 1876, and their children are, Daniel A., Catherine L., Juda A., Ester L., Mary J., Emma J., Major F., William C. Leedana, Agatha M., Daisy P., and Urey F. Mr. Dean moved to Braxton county about twenty years ago. He owns a good grain and stock farm on the Bison range near the Bolingreen, and is noted for his industry and hospitality.
Simeon T. Deen, son of John J. and Elizabeth (Teeter) Deen, was born in Pendleton county July 9, 1833, and Braxton county became his home when only three years of age. He had two brothers, George W. and Silas C., who were Confederate soldiers, the las named serving through the entire conflict.
Simeon T. Deen was married April 28, 1858, to Maria Tinney, daughter of Thurman and Catharine (Davis) Tinney. Nine children were born to this union: Alfred J., James C., John M., Thurman F., George S. (died in infancy), Dennis H., William H., Jonathan E. (died same year) Warder S.
J. J. Dolliver who rode the Braxton circuit prior to the Civil war, was at one time Presiding Elder, and it is said was once prior to this a saloon keeper in Ohio. When he was converted at a camp meeting, he went home, destroyed his stock of whiskies and went to preaching.
It was while he was Presiding Elder at a meeting held on Muddlety at the old log church in Nicholas county, that Rev. Jones, circuit rider, was leading in prayer, and J. J. Dolliver was looking over the congregation and saw a cross-eyed man named Renox Hannah, winking at a girl. Dolliver rose up and said, "Young man, take the door." The young man immediately left. Later, Dolliver left the West Virginia Conference, and went to Iowa. One of his sons represented that state in the U. S. Senate.
Oscar F. Dufield, (also spelled Duffield?) Farmer and Stock Raiser, Sec. 4; Woodstock P. O.; born in Braxton Co., W. Va., in 1839 ; came to McHenry county, Illinois in 1846 ; owns 100 acres of land. Married Miss F. Frame in 1863, who was born in Nicholas Co., W. Va., in 1843 ; has two children.
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - transcribed by K. Torp]
P. B. Duffy, a son of Phlip and Margaret Kelly Duffy, was born about 1840. He graduated at the college in Maryland, was Captain of Co. C, 25th Virginia Infantry, in the Confederate Army. He was promoted to Lieut, Col. and served through the war. He married a lady of Charleston, West Virginia. They had one son. Col. Duffy died in the seventies. He was loved and respected for his amiable character.
Philip Duffy, one of the early settlers of Braxton county, after its formation, married Margaret, daughter of Robert Kelly, of Nicholas county. There children were Patrick B., Margaret, Virginia, Maud and Madora. Mr. Duffy was a merchant, and in connection with Patrick Beirne, of Greenbrier, and John Duffy, of Nicholas county, he commenced merchandising in Sutton, shortly after the county was formed. He accumulated property, but at the beginning of the Civil war he went South, and most of his estate was lost. He died near Sutton, some years after the war, and is buried in the Duffy cemetery.
Alex. Dulin was born in Wirt county, Va., Feb. 22, 1854. His father, A. H. Dulin, and mother Rebecca Burns, were both natives of Virginia, also his grandfather, Albert Dulin.
Ale. Dulin was married Dec. 24, 1884, to Cora Belle Floyd, and their children are W. H. Dulin, A. G. Dulin and Edwin L. Dulin, all deceased.
Attorney Dulin came to Braxton county when quite a young man, and entered upon his chosen profession, soon building up a good practice. He is active in church work, and served several years as Moderator in the Elk Valley Baptist Association. Mr. Dulin is noted as an affectionate parent, a good neighbor, and is Kind and affable in his manner.
Addison C. Dyer was born July 27, 1847, being the son of Morgan and Sarah (Rader) Dyer. Oct. 14, 1875, he married Mary B. Singleton who was born in Braxton county, Aug. 14, 1852, and was the daughter of Charles E. and Margaret (Gibson) Singleton. Their children were Sarah May, Flora Maggie, Mintie Lee and Charles.
Mr. Dyer served in the last year of the Civil war as a member of the "Pendleton Reserve," Confederate service subject to General Imboden's order. He served until the war closed. He served one term as Sheriff of Braxton county. Moved to state of Washington where he died.
Morgan Dyer, originally from Pendleton county, came to Braxton county when a very young man and married a Miss Rader. They had two children, A. C. Dyer and one daughter who died young. Mr. Dyer was a popular and correct businessman, being a merchant in Sutton many years prior to the Civil war. He was at one time Surveyor of the county. In 1841, he was a Delegate from Braxton county to an Educational Convention held in the town of Clarksburg, showing his interest in public education. Mr. Dyer owned a farm in Flatwoods, where he once resided.
Dr. Albert N. Ellison was born in Lawrence county, Ohio, February 17, 1817. His father, Wm. Ellison, moved from Virginia to Ohio in an early day. His father's name was John, and he came to Virginia with three brothers. Two of them settled in Virginia, and two in Pennsylvania.
Dr. A. N. Ellison came to Braxton county about 1840, and settled first at Sutton, but shortly afterward moved to the Little Birch, where he made his future home. Dr. Ellison had a large practice. He was for several years a minister in the M. E. Church, South. He was a man of great influence in his community and universally beloved.
He married Eliza Mace, and their family consisted of five daughters and two sons. The oldest son, William, was killed at Fredericksburg, Md., being a soldier in the Confederate army.
Rev. A. C. Ellison for several years a traveling minister in the M. P. Church, is living near the old homestead on the Little Birch.
Dr. Ellison was a Whig until the slavery question became so prominent at the beginning of the Civil war, when he cast his lot with the South, and volunteered in its defense. He was twice elected Assessor of Braxton county, and was at one time captain of the militia. He died in his eighty-sixth year at his home on the Little Birch.
Major Charles D. Elliott, son of Dr. Thomas Irvin Elliott, was born January 1st, 1861, in Clarion county, Pennsylvania, and after the close of the Civil war, Dr. Elliott with his family came to the hills of West Virginia, and settled in Tyler county. Here Major Elliott received the rudiments of a common school education; afterwards he was given advantages at the State College at Flemington. He supplemented his practical education by spending six years in the great plains of Colorado and Wyoming. In 1886 he returned to West Virginia, and located at Sutton, Braxton county, and engaged with General Curtin in the lumber business. He was later appointed Deputy Collector under A. B. White. In 1896 he was admitted to the Bar, but has never been actively engaged in the practice of the law. On June 18, 1901, Major Elliott was appointed U. S. Marshall. For many years he has been actively engaged in political work in West Virginia. During the Spanish American war he was made Major of the 2nd West Virginia Infantry; he was later commissioned by the President, Major of the 47th U. S. Infantry during the war with the Philippines, and was appointed Inspector General on the staff of Governor White in March , 1901. On December 1st, 1901, General Elliott purchased the Parkersburg News. He formed a company, and became the president. This journal was one of the leading papers of the State, and under the management of the new company it more than tripled its circulation. In 1912, General Elliott was appointed Adjutant General of the State. His health failing, he went to the mountains of Colorado, and worked in a gold mine. Recovering his health, he returned to Braxton county and engaged in the coal business in Braxton and Webster counties. General Elliott's indomitable energy will move on, through every vicissitude fortune, looking with a sweet temperament on the brighter side of life.
In 1888, General Elliott was united in marriage with Mary, daughter of Attorney Joseph Thompson, of Staunton, Virginia. The two children of this union are Viola N. and Catharine E. General Elliott's home is in Sutton, West Virginia.
H. E. Engle was born in Barbour county, Va., Sept. 30, 1849. His father, William Engle, was born in Pendleton county, Va., Oct. 12 1823. His grandparents, Solomon Engle and Sarah George Engle, were born in England in 1800. All were Methodists.
Mr. Engle is well learned in vocal music, having taught in that line for many years. He wrote the music to the West Virginia Hills and other pieces of merit. Mr. Engle is a member of the present County Court.
Charles S. Evans, son of David and Christena (Petro) Evans, was born in Randolph county, VA., April 11, 1830. Feb. 6, 18953, Charles S. Evans wedded Maria Heater who was born in the county, Nov. 11, 1834. Her parents were Jacob and Delilah (Riffle) Heater. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Evans were: Virginia, James Clark, Mary F., Pierson (killed by a falling tree), Madora, Charles Homer, Lorenzo D., Margaret L., Fanny M. (died young), Ida May, and William W. who died in infancy.
David Evans and Christeney, his wife, came from Randolph county, Virginia, to Braxton, then to Lewis, at an early period of the settlement of the county. They settled on the Elk river a few miles above the own of Sutton. Mr. Evans was a carpenter by trade. The latter years of his life he lived in Sutton, where he reared his family, consisting of five sons and one daughter, Petro, Jacob and Isaac, (twins), Marshall and Charles S., Mary Ann, whose first husband was Lemaster Stephenson, and after his death he married Levi Waybright.
Jacob M. Evans, son of David and Christena Evans, married Lydda, a daughter of Jacob Riffle, on Salt Lick. They reared a family of several children, most of whom reside in Braxton. Mr. Evans was a successful farmer, a prominent, and reliable citizen. He was Justice of the Peace for several years, and a useful and active member of the M. P. Church for a number of years. He was noted for his generous support of the Gospel. It was his universal custom on meeting occasions, to give a general invitation to his home. He is buried on the hill at the old farm, overlooking the church where he used to worship. His companion still survives him.
Many thanks to Marji Turner for all her hard work in transcribing ALL the biographies in this book. It was a lot of hard work and it is VERY MUCH appreciated!!!
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails