Clay County WV|
Clay County was created from parts of Braxton and Nicholas, by act of March 29, 1858, and named in honor of Kentucky's favored son, Henry Clay.
The First Circuit Court convened October 21, 1858, Judge E. B. Bailey presiding. The first county court was held July 12, 1858, the following justices composing it: N. W. Shannon, William H. Ewing and William G. Fitzwater. The first county officers were: Sheriff, C. C. Campbell; Prosecuting Attorney, Joseph H. Rolinson; Clerk of Courts, Jacob Salisbury; Assessor, Thomas McQuain; Surveyor, Clayburn Pinson.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails