Welcome to Hampshire County WV
History and Genealogy
West Virginia Genealogy Trails
a part of Genealogy
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
This Site is Available for Adoption
Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical
and historical data for the free use of all researchers.
We're looking for folks who share our dedication to putting data online and are interested in helping this project
be as successful as it can be. If you are interested in joining Genealogy Trails, view our Volunteer Page for further information and then contact Kim.
(Enough knowledge to make a basic webpage and a desire to transcribe data is
We regret that we are unable to perform personal research
All data we come across will be added to this site. We thank you for visiting
and hope you'll come back again to view the updates we make to this site.
If you would like to be kept informed of our state and county website updates, subscribe
to any or all of our mailing
West Virginia is covered under our "Northeastern States" mailing list.
Caudy's Castle Rock viewed from below on the Cacapon River.
Hampshire County was created by the Virginia General Assembly on December 13, 1753 from
parts of Frederick and Augusta counties (Virginia) and is the oldest county in the state of West Virginia. The
county lies in both West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle and Potomac Highlands regions. Its county seat is Romney,
West Virginia's oldest town (1762).
Although its creation was authorized in 1753, Hampshire County
was not actually organized until 1757 because the area was not considered safe due to the outbreak of the French
and Indian War (1754-1763). According to Samuel Kercheval's A History of the Valley of Virginia, the county was
named in honor of its several prize hogs.
Incorporated Cities and Towns
* City of Romney * Town of Capon Bridge
* Augusta * Barnes Mill * Bloomery * Blues Beach * Bubbling Spring
* Capon Lake * Capon Springs * Capon Springs Station * Cold Stream * Creekvale * Davis Ford * Delray * Dillons
Run * Donaldson * Forks of Cacapon
* Frenchburg * Glebe * Good * Grace * Green Spring * Hainesville
* Hanging Rock * Higginsville * High View * Hooks Mills * Hoy * Intermont
* Jericho * Junction * Kirby * Largent * Lehew * Levels * Little Cacapon
* Loom * Mechanicsburg * Millbrook * Millen * Millesons Mill
* Neals Run * Nero * North River Mills * Okonoko * Pancake * Pin Oak
* Pleasant Dale * Points * Purgitsville * Rada * Raven Rocks * Ridgedale
* Rio * Ruckman * Sector * Sedan * Shanks * Shiloh * Slanesville
* South Branch Depot * Springfield * Three Churches * Vance * Vanderlip
* Wappocomo * Woodrow * Yellow Spring
Started Will Extracts
John Abernathy Sr. Will Extract
Nancy Abernathy Will Extract
Samuel Abernathy Will Extract
William Abernathy Will Extract
Catherine Adams Will Extract
John Aikman Will Extract
James Alexander Will Extract
James Allen Will Extract
Robert Allen Wil Extract
John Lambert Will
George Gilbert Will
Elias Kerr Will
Daniel Fink Will
List of Schools
Nora Garvey Obituary
Bud McLaughlin Obituary
P. T. Shearer Obituary
Newspapers - Pardons
Joseph Sprigg Biography
George Alexander Blakemore Biography
Miller - Coffman Marriage
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights
reserved for original submitters.