Thomas Bartlett who owned a large tract of land on the West Pork River near the Maulsby Bridge was noted for his large corn crops and in times of scarcity people would come from a great distance to purchase corn, and so frequently did this happen, that his plantation was called Egypt, which was suggested by the well known incident stated in the Bible when Joseph's brethren went down to Egypt on the Nile in time of famine to purchase grain.
To Thomas Bartlett's credit be it recorded that he never raised the price of corn no matter how scarce it was, and that the quantity he sold to anyone was governed by the size of the purchaser's family.
He would positively refuse to sell in large quantities to anyone for fear they would raise the market price and speculate upon the wants of the people.
All honor to this noble pioneer whose heart went out in sympathy to his fellow man. Would that the world contained more like him.
Richard, the son of Samuel Bond, a native of England, was born in Cecil County, Maryland, October 4, 1728, and died in Harrison County, Virginia, January 14, 1819.
He belonged to the same family with Sir Richard Bond, Lord Mayor of London, who was knighted by the King for services in the crusades and whose crest was three Benzants, or Eastern coins.
Richard Howell, the Governor of New Jersey during the war of the Revolution, was a nephew of the subject of this sketch, being the son of his sister, Sarah Bond. Varina Howell, the wife of Jefferson Davis, President of the Southern Confederacy was his great niece.
Richard Bond lived for many years at what was known as the head of Elk, on or near Chesapeake Bay, and was the possessor of large estates. He was a man of affairs and represented Cecil County in the Assembly according to the family tradition, for sixteen years.
When Lord Howe sailed up Chesapeake Bay in 1777 on his way to capture Philadelphia his route lay by Mr. Bond's residence and he suffered severe losses by the depredations of the British soldiers.
He had a large family and desiring to secure lands for them he and his son Richard bought lands in Harrison County as early as 1798, the most of his purchases being on Lost Creek including the present railroad station of that name.
About 1800 he removed to his new purchase leaving some of the older members of his family in Maryland, who had married and had homes of their own.
Mr. Bond led a quiet retired life in his new home, was a devout member of the Seventh Day Baptist Church and held the respect and esteem of all who knew him. Many of his descendants are still living in the County.
General George Rogers Clark
George Rogers Clark was born November 19, 1752 near Monticello, Albermarle County, Virginia.
He was surveyor by occupation in early life and his duties as such carried him to the upper Ohio region west of the mountains. In J774 he was a Captain in Lord Dunmore's campaign against the Indians West of the Ohio.
In 1775 he went as a surveyor to Kentucky and in 1776 was chosen a delegate to the Virginia Assembly to urge upon the State authorities to give aid and protection to the Kentucky frontier as that region was under the jurisdiction of Virginia.
In 1777 he was a major of Kentucky Militia and engaged in the repelling of the attacks of the Indians on the settlements.
In 1778 he was appointed Lieut. Colonel and authorized to raise a force to capture the British Posts in the Illinois Country.
He collected recruits and organized his expedition at the Falls of the Ohio, now Louisville, and after incredible hardships was successful in capturing Kaskaskia and Vincennes, and with the latter Fort Lieut. Gov. Hamilton of Canada known among the frontiersmen as the "hair buyer."
Clark was promoted to Brig. General and was prominent on the frontier in the Indian troubles, and all that rich domain North West of the Ohio was secured to the Republic at the peace with Great Britain in 1783 in consequence of his energy, capacity and prowess.
His later years were spent in poverty and seclusion and unfortunately his social habits were none of the best.
He died February 18, 1818 at Locust Grove near Louisville and was buried at Cave Hill in the suburbs of that City. The town of Clarksburg was named in his honor.
Benjamin Coplin or Copeland as it was frequently spelled, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia in 1750 and died in this County in 1834 and was buried in the Old Grave Yard at Bridgeport. His wife was Deborah Shinn.
He was an active energetic man of affairs, held various county offices including that of Sheriff and took a prominent part in the troublesome affairs of the frontiers during the Indian Wars and was the pioneer of his family west of the mountains.
He assisted in building Nutter's Fort near Clarksburg.
He located his homestead of 400 acres on the Brushy Fork of Elk Creek with a preemption of 1000 acres adjoining in the year 1773. Levi Douglas' lands joined those of Coplin's.
The census of 1782 shows that his family numbered five at that date. Many of his descendants still reside in the County.
Andrew Cottrill was one of the five first settlers in the County in 1771, and made his settlement right in 1772 where the town of Grasselli now is, consisting of 400 acres, which was confirmed to his heirs in 1781.
In the same year 400 acres was confirmed to William Cottrill heir at law to Andrew Cottrill, who made the entry in 1773 on Elk Creek.
These entries show that his death occurred prior to 1781. Both Andrew and Samuel left descendants who are still with us.
The Cottrill's have for generations been distinguished in the traditions of the County for their personal courage; they were quick to take offense and were always ready to avenge an insult either to themselves or to a friend. They were tough customers to tackle in a rough and tumble fist fight. It is said that they never used weapons, always fought fair and quit when the other fellow called "enough" which was most generally the case.
Both Andrew and Samuel Cottrill died within a few years after they came to the Monongahela Valley, but whether either of them were killed by John Simpson is not known. He killed one of the Cottrills in a quarrel about a peck of salt.
Samuel Cottrill was one of the party of five who came into the present County of Harrison for permanent settlement in the fall of 1771.
He built his cabin in what is now East Clarksburg near the old Jackson grave yard, his nearest neighbor being Sotha Hickman on the opposite side of Elk Creek.
His house was attacked by a party of Indians in 1779, an account of which is elsewhere given. It is not known how long he lived at this place but the land records show that his heirs in 1781 were granted 400 acres of land on Rooting Creek according to a settlement made in 1775.
William Davis is supposed to have been born in New Jersey, and came to Harrison County some time after the war of the Revolution.
He settled in the Bottom land between Salem and Bristol. Was a large owner of lands, removed to Ohio and died there some time in the thirties.
He always signed his name William Davis "Bottom" to distinguish him from two or three other William Davis' who lived in the neighborhood.
Tradition says that he had been a sailor and that during the Revolution he was loyal to the King and that he piloted the British fleet through the Hell Gate Channel, under the command of Lord Howe, at the time New York was captured in 1776, and for his services on that occasion he received a large bag of gold.
After the close of the war and upon his return home, he found it a little unpleasant for persons of his political opinions, and emigrated to the western country as it was then called, where some of his relatives had come before. Deeds executed by him show that he lived in this county as late as 1825.
His father resided near the Battlefield of Brandy Wine, and rode out from home, on a white horse, to see the battle, and the color of his horse attracting attention. He was fired on and killed.
Daniel Davisson was born in 1748 and died in 1819. He married Prudence Izard.
His settlement right made in 1773 included the principal part of Clarksburg between Elk Creek and the West Fork River and contained 400 acres. His cabin it is supposed was located on Chestnut Street between Pike and Main.
He afterwards built a large stone building on the North West corner of Second and Main Streets where he lived for many years. He for a long time kept an ordinary or tavern.
He was a major of Militia and Sheriff of the County.
From being the first settler he was known as the Proprietor of Clarksburg.
He donated the Davisson Grave Yard to the Hopewell Baptist congregation in 1790, upon which the first church was built in Clarksburg, and was buried in it in 1819.
In 1782 his family numbered seven. Many of his descendants live in this portion of the State.
Stephen Dicks in 1795 purchased from Sotha Hickman 33 acres of land including what is now the village of Quiet Dell and erected a mill on it. He afterwards sold it to Able Bond, who conducted the mill for many years.
Mr. Dicks as a boy in July 1776 heard the Declaration of Independence read from the steps of Independence Hall in Philadelphia just after its passage by the Convention.
He lived to an honored old age and had the respect of all who knew him.
Levi Douglass was one of the party of five of the first permanent settlers in the present limits of the County and entered 400 acres of land on Brushy Fork of Elk Creek adjoining lands of Benjamin Coplin in 1775.
In company with Sotha Hickman he was captured by Indians, an account of which is given elsewhere.
He was a man of sterling worth and for that day accumulated considerable property.
The census of Monongalia County taken in 1782 before Harrison County was formed, shows that at that date his family consisted of four members.
The inventory of his estate was dated August 4, 1787, the exact date of his death being unknown.
His descendants still reside in the County.
John Murray, the Earl of Dunmore was the last Royal Governor of the colony of Virginia. He was born in 1732, appointed Governor of New York in 1770 and of Virginia in 1771 and arrived in Williamsburg early in 1772.
It was his misfortune to succeed Lord Bottetourt as Governor, who was very popular with the colonists and who at his death named a county after him and erected a statue to his memory in front of William and Mary College.
Dunmore was abrupt in manner, intensely loyal to his King and determined to crush out any spirit of Independence exhibited by the Colonists and as a ruler was exceedingly unpopular.
On the contrary the Countess of Dunmore and her family were received with every mark of courtesy and respect upon their arrival in Williamsburg, the town being illuminated in their honor and the House of Burgesses giving a ball at the capitol to welcome them to Virginia.
Dunmore in 1774 organized an expedition against the Western Indians in the Ohio Country, one column under General Andrew Lewis moved down the Big Kanawha and fought the battle of Point Pleasants with the Indians under Cornstalk.
The other column under the Governor moved by way of Pittsburgh down the Ohio and thence to the Shawnee towns on the Sciota near the present town of Chillicothe. He made a Treaty of Peace with the Indians and returned to Williamsburg. This war in history is known as Dunmore's war.
The dissatisfaction of the colonies was now rapidly ripening into revolution and to carry out a systematic plan to disarm the people Dunmore on the morning of April 20, 1775, caused the powder in the public magazine at Williamsburg to be removed to a British man of War lying in James River. This created great excitement and the country rose in arms and marched on the capitol. The Governor's family were hurried on board a war ship, the "Fowey," to be followed by the Governor early in June.
He burned Norfolk and committed other depredations along the coast and sailed away to England. He was appointed Governor of the Bermuda Islands in 1786 and died in England in 1809.
In 1772 the Assembly named a County Dunmore which in 1777 was changed to Shenandoah.
John P. Duval
John P. Duval was prominent in public affairs in the Monongahela Valley. He was a member of the State Senate when a resident of Monongalia County before Harrison was formed, and afterwards served in that body from 1780 to 1792.
He was a member of the first Court of Harrison County and was the first County Lieutenant for the County, and was active in performing the duties of that office.
He is subsequently spoken of as living on an island in the Ohio River.
The date and place of his birth and also that of his death are unknown.
Among the many interesting characters who have tarried within the gates of Clarksburg was a Frenchman by the name of John Emir.
His occupation was that of a gardener and a trimmer of fruit trees and grape vines.
He had been a soldier in the victorious armies of Napoleon, and had taken part in the famous retreat from Moscow and had been wounded at the battle of Waterloo. He worshipped the memory of Napoleon and still retained his military bearing.
The later years of his life passed amid the hills of West Virginia, were as quiet and peaceful as his early ones in war tossed Europe had been stirring and eventful.
He died far from the vine clad valleys of Sunny Prance, and from the fields of the triumphs of the mighty Napoleon, in whose stupendous achievements he had borne an humble though an honorable part.
May the ashes of the old soldier of the Empire rest in peace.
This white renegade by his assisting and encouraging parties of savages to murder women and children, was the terror of the Virginia frontier and the most despised and hated man in the employ of the British Government.
He was born on the Susquehanna River in 1741. His father, Thomas Girty, was an Indian Trader and was killed by an Indian in a drunken row in 1751. This Indian was in turn killed by John Turner a friend of Girty's, who in 1753 married the widow Girty.
In 1756 a party of French and Indians invaded the settlements on the Juniata, and killed and captured many of the settlers. Among those captured was John Turner his wife and family, including the four Girty boys. The prisoners were taken to the Indian villages on the Allegheny River near the present town of Kittaning. Here John Turner was tortured to death in the presence of his family.
Girty remained with the savages until the capture of Port Duquesne from the French in 1758. After his surrender he remained in the vicinity being employed by the Military authorities as an interpreter. When the Revolution broke out he took sides with the colonies.
Alexander McKee, who lived at McKees Rocks just below Fort Pitt and who had been employed as a British Indian Agent, on the night of March 28, 1778 with a small party, one of them being Simon Girty, who was won over by McKee, escaped down the river in canoes and finally reached Detroit, which was the British Military Headquarters for operations against the American frontier.
Girty was at once given employment as an interpreter and for years spent most of his time with the Indians under the orders of the Military Commandant, engaged in scouting and leading small parties of savages against the settlers.
Even after the close of the Revolutionary War, he still took part in the Indian wars being present at St. Clair's defeat in 1791 and against General Wayne in 1794, although he was then a British subject and there was peace between the two nations.
When the Americans took possession of Detroit in 1796 this ended Girty's operations among the Indians on this side of the line, and he settled on the Canadian side, but still being employed by the British in Indian matters.
In the war of 1812 when Detroit was captured by the British, Girty paid a visit to the town, it being the first time he had been on American soil since 1796, and he celebrated the event by getting gloriously drunk.
He died in 1818, to the last being the inveterate enemy of his former countrymen.
On several occasions he used his influence to save white prisoners from being tortured, and caused some of them to be released from captivity. This can be said to his credit, but in all other respects he was a white Indian, possessed of all the brutal instincts of the savage.
Job Goff was born in Rhode Island in 1760, was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, removed to Vermont, subsequently to New York and came to Harrison County in 1804. His wife was a Miss Waldo of a talented and distinguished family in New England.
He purchased land on Booth's Creek and lived a long and useful life, for sixty years was a member of the Baptist Church and died in 1845.
His four sons, John, Waldo P., Nathan and David were active, energetic and useful citizens and prominent in public affairs.
Waldo P. held several County offices and was a State Senator in Virginia and long a merchant. Nathan represented this County in the West Virginia Legislature, was a merchant and banker, and David the County of Randolph in the Legislature of the Old State, was also prominent as a lawyer in that County.
John was a successful farmer and prominent in religious matters.
All of these four brothers were men of absolute integrity stood high in business affairs and had the confidence of the community.
John Hacker was born in the Valley of Virginia and came to the Buckhannon settlement in 1768 or 1769. He located permanently in 1773 on Hacker's Creek, which was named for him. He held the office of Justice of the Peace and bore a prominent part in the Indian wars of his neighborhood. It is said that he had served with General Clark's Vincennes Campaign. He died in 1821 aged 81 years.
Thomas Harbert according to the land records located on Decker's Creek now Monongalia County in 1774. He subsequently removed to Jones' Run now in Eagle District, Harrison County.
Samuel Harbert in 1775 located a homestead of 400 acres on the West Fork River adjoining lands of Levi Shinn. In 1785 by the Harrison County Census he had six in his family.
He is again referred to as inheriting 400 acres from Thomas Harbert on Jones' Run by the commissioners of unpatented lands in 1781.
In the attack on Harbert's Block House on Jones' Run in 1778 one of the Harbert's was killed while having a desperate hand to hand struggle with an Indian by a shot fired from without the house. His first name is not given in the Border Warfare but it is supposed to have been Thomas, whether the father or brother of Samuel is not known but he was a near relative as the latter inherited the estate.
John Harbert took an active part in the skirmish with the Indians on the Waters of Middle Island now in Doddridge County in 1791.
The family still live in Harrison County.
Benjamin Harrison was born at Berkeley on the James in Virginia about the year 1740. He was educated at William & Mary College and took an early and prominent part in public affairs.
He was a member of the House of Burgesses of Virginia in 1764 and again a member and speaker in 1777.
Was a member of the Continental Congress from 1774 to 1777 and in that capacity in 1776 voted for and signed the Declaration of Independence.
Was Governor of Virginia from November 1781 to November 1784 and was chosen Governor in 1791 but died before his term of service commenced.
Two of his descendants have been Presidents of the United States. Harrison County was named in his honor.
William A. Harrison
The subject of this sketch, one of the most prominent members of the Harrison County Bar, was born in Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, August 27, 1795, and was the son of Matthew Harrison, a merchant of that place.
He received such an education as the schools of that day afforded, and studied law with his brother-in-law, Obed Waite, a prominent lawyer of Winchester.
After being admitted to the bar Mr. Harrison first located at Marietta. Ohio, but thinking Parkersburg offered better opportunities removed to that place, but after a short stay there upon the advice of John L. Sehon, he finally settled at Clarksburg and was admitted to practice in the Circuit Court of Harrison County on September 14, 1820.
He advanced rapidly in his profession and became famous as a jury lawyer and his services were in great demand in all of the Courts in which he practiced and he was engaged in all cases of importance during his active career.
In 1836 he was appointed attorney in the United States Court for the Western District of Virginia and also served for several years as Prosecuting attorney for Harrison County.
He never took much interest in political affairs but represented the County in the years 1836, 1837 and 1838 in the Legislature at Richmond.
In the stirring and exciting period leading up to the civil war, and the division of the State, he took an active part for the Union, and by his prominence and ability added strength to the cause.
He held the position of Circuit Judge in the re-organized government of Virginia and Judge of the Court of Appeals of West Virginia and a member of the Governor's council.
Judge Harrison was for many years a consistent and devout member of the Presbyterian church and as to discharging the duties of a Christian, a good citizen, faithful public official and a devoted husband and father, his whole life was above reproach.
In person he was large of stature and of a commanding appearance, courteous in his deportment, kind and genial in manners, he always received the respect of those with whom he associated.
He died in Clarksburg December 31, 1870.
John Haymond the son of Major William Haymond, was born near Rockville now in Montgomery Co., Maryland, December 7, 1765, and came with his father to near Morgantown in 1773. He married Mary, the daughter of Colonel Benjamin Wilson, July 3, 1787, who then lived in Tygart's Valley near Beverly. The wedding party from Clarksburg on their way to the bride's home camped out all night under a cliff of rocks a short distance from Philippi on the Valley River. It was said that the bride and groom were the handsomest couple on the frontier.
John Haymond was clerk of the Board of Trustees of the Randolph Academy, Deputy Surveyor, Sheriff, Member of the Legislature from Harrison County, Member of the State Senate, an officer of Militia, took a prominent part in the Indian wars and was in many expeditions against them. In a skirmish with the Indians on Middle Island Creek, now in Doddridge County, a ball passed through a handkerchief which he had tied around his head.
He was a member of the Virginia Senate at the time of the passage of the celebrated Resolutions of 1798, and in all phases of the parliamentary contest in that memorable struggle his name is found as voting against them.
About the year 1800 he moved onto a large tract of land on the Little Kanawha River, in what is now Braxton County near Bulltown, built a mill and established a salt works.
He built canoes and floated down the river to the Ohio and thence up to Pittsburgh, purchased kettles in which to boil salt water and returned with them by the same route, a long tedious and laborious journey.
He conducted the manufacture of salt for many years and died September 5, 1838.
His descendants still live in Braxton County.
Luther Haymond was born on the 23d day of February 1809 on Zack's Run, now Elk District, six miles from Clarksburg, on the Buckhannon Road, and was the son of Thomas and Rebecca Bond Haymond.
As a boy, he was a clerk in the store of John Webster in Clarksburg. Afterwards, he was Deputy Surveyor, Member of the Legislature, Engineer of the Board of Public Works, Commissioner of the Circuit Court, Treasurer of the County, and Cashier of the Merchants' National Bank at Clarksburg from its organization in 1860 until he retired in 1896.
He located the Beverly and Fairmont Turnpike, The Weston Clarksburg and Fairmont Turnpike, and the Fairmont and Wheeling Turnpike and was employed on other works of a public character.
He married Delia Ann, the daughter of Major Thomas P. Moore.
It was his custom to celebrate his birth day by holding a reception for his friends.
He died on the 19th day of September 1908, in his hundredth year, and in the possession of all of his faculties. Had he lived until the following 23d February 1909 he would have rounded out his century of life.
At the time of his death he was the oldest Odd Fellow in the State, and the oldest person in the County.
Thomas Haymond, the son of Major William Haymond, was born January 11, 1776, in the Monongahela Glades now in Monongalia County.
He married Rebecca Bond a native of Cecil County, Maryland, January 6, 1803. He served as a Deputy Surveyor, Justice of the Peace and Commissioner of Delinquent and Forfeited Lands in Harrison County and was principal surveyor from the death of his father in 1821 until his death in 1853, a period of thirty two years.
Although but a boy he served his tour as a scout in the Indian war and was stationed one winter at Salem.
He was buried in the Haymond grave yard on Elk and his descendants still live in the County.
Major William Haymond
William Haymond, son of John, who came from England prior to 1734, was born in the colony of Maryland, January 4, 1740 (OS) and died at his residence near Quiet Dell, November 12, 1821.
According to family tradition he accompanied the army of General Edward Braddock on its march to capture Port Duquesne, now Pittsburgh, from the French, and which met with a disastrous defeat on the Monongahela River on the 9th. of July, 1755.
At this time he was only fifteen years of age, and it is not known in what capacity he was employed but likely in the quarter-master's department.
In the year 1758 he was a soldier in the expedition commanded by General Forbes against the same position, which was successful and the camp was changed to Fort Pitt after the English Prime Minister.
In February, 1759, he enlisted in the Virginia Regiment commanded by Col. George Washington, which had been detailed to garrison the country captured from the French. He served along the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivera and as far north as "Presque Isle," now Erie, on the lake of that name. When the regiment was withdrawn from the West it was marched up the Shenandoah Valley and on to the Kolafrriu river to suppress an outbreak among the Cherokee Indians.
When the Cherokees were quieted the regiment returned to the valley and was discharged. William's discharge is dated at Fort Lewis, near Staunton, Va., Feb. 24th. 1762, and states that he has "Duly served three years and behaved as a good soldier and faithful subject."
After he returned home from the wars, he, in the following year, April 19th. 1763, was married to Cassandra Clelland and settled down to the life of a planter.
In May, 1773, he sold his farm near Rockville, Maryland, to James Sutter for the sum of two hundred and twelve pounds and ten shillings current money of the province, and moved with his family, consisting of his wife, four children and a number of negroes, to the District of West Augusta, Virginia, and located on the Monongahela river near where Morgantown now stands.
The country was a howling wilderness, but thinly settled and the few inhabitants for twenty years were destined to endure not only the privations incident to a frontier life, but the horrors of a savage war-fire.
Upon the formation of Monongalia County in 1776, he served in various important positions, such as justice of the Peace, Deputy Surveyor, Coroner and Sheriff.
At the commencement of the Revolution he at once warmly advocated the cause of the colonies and was appointed a captain of Militia, and was frequently in active service against the hostile Indians.
In 1777 he was in command of Prickett's Fort with a detachment at Scott's Mills. In 1781 he was promoted to Major and performed the duties of an officer of Militia during the whole of the Revolutionary War.
He was making preparations to go east of the mountains and join the army there when news of peace was received.
He was one of the officials selected to administer the oath of allegiance to the Commonwealth of Virginia, to all .male inhabitants over the age of sixteen years and requiring them to renounce and refuse all allegiance to George the Third, King of Great Britain.
He was one of the commissioners appointed for adjusting the claims to unpatented lands in the counties of Monongalia, Yohoerania and Ohio.
Upon the creation of Harrison County in 1784 Major Haymond was appointed the principal surveyor of the new County. He traveled on horseback across the mountains to Williamsburg in order to be examined by the professors of William and Mary's college as to his qualification for the position. He passed a successful examination and was duly commissioned Surveyor by the Governor of Virginia.
This appointment required another change of residence to Clarksburg about forty miles west of Morgantown. So in the fall of that year he moved to that place, purchased a few acres of land near town, built an office and entered upon the discharge of his duties. At that time Harrison County extended from the Allegheny mountains to the Ohio and the duties of the office were of a most important character, affecting the titles to the homes of the settlers who came pouring in rapidly after the close of the war of the Revolution.
He was a member of the commission to build two courthouses in Harrison County in 1787 and 1812, and as a surveyor assisted in marking out a state road from the Valley River to the Ohio, near Marietta and was always prominent in public affairs.
In 1791 he purchased a tract of land containing 194 1/2 acres on Elk Creek, six miles from Clarksburg, and moved on it in the Fall of that year. The house in which he lived and built is still standing and is still used as a residence. The farm is now (1909) owned by Sidney Haymond the grandson of William, and has descended from father to son by will, no deed having been made for it since its purchase as above stated.
He was a skilled mechanic, a mathematician of rare ability, a thoroughly competent surveyor and was widely respected for his sterling integrity.
Major Haymond held the position of principal surveyor for thirty seven years and died at his home on November 12th. 1821 and was buried in the Haymond graveyard in sight of his former residence.
William Haymond, Jr.
William Haymond, the second, the son of Major William Haymond, was born in Montgomery County, Maryland, June 11, 1771, and came West with his father in 1773.
He married Cynthia Carroll March 12, 1793. He served as a scout in the Indian wars and one summer patrolled the Ohio river near Parkers-burg and Marietta.
In 1794 he moved to a tract of land on which Palatine is now situated and lived there until his death. His descendants are still in Marion County. He wrote the letters that are published in this volume.
William S. Haymond
Dr. William S. Haymond was a native of Elk District, studied medicine and located in Indiana. Served as a Surgeon during the civil war, and was a member of the lower house of congress from that state.
Elias Hickman, who was born in Clarksburg in 1797, says the first coal he saw used as fuel was in a grate in the Old Randolph Academy building when be attended school.
The teacher was George Towers, an Englishman, who wore knee breeches, and used cow hides on his pupils without the slightest hesitation, and well laid on at that.
He remembers seeing the teacher tie two boys together whom he caught fighting, and compelled them to fight it out.
Joseph Sommerville, an Irishman, and Adam Hickman were the first merchants he can remember and John McCullough the first Post Master, who kept his office in a building that stood on the South Side of Main Street below Second.
Whiskey was sold at $8.00 per barrel. Mr. Hickman was a school teacher in West Virginia and Ohio, and has taught seventy two schools.
Sotha Hickman was born on the Sugar Land Bottom on the Potomac River near the present town of Rockville, Maryland in 1749, and died at his home on Elk Creek near Quiet Dell where he had lived for many years.
As stated before he with a party of four others came to this region looking for land in the fall of the year 1771 and built his first cabin near where the Elk View Cemetery is now situated.
He brought out his family from the East to this location in 1772 or 1773 and is known to have been living there in 1779. He entered a thousand acres of land on Elk Creek near and perhaps including Quiet Dell in 1773 but did not occupy it for several years afterwards.
Sotha Hickman always claimed that his son, Arthur, was the first white child born in Harrison County, that he raised the first crop of corn and owned the first rooster that ever crowed in the County.
While trapping on the Little Kanawha River in Company with Levi Douglass they were captured by a party of Indians and taken to their towns on the Sciota River in Ohio.
One night while the Indians were holding a grand dance and festival the prisoners were left in charge of an old man who fell off into a sleep. They each then quietly seized a gun and equipment's and struck out for home and liberty.
Traveling only at night they were four days without food and after reaching the Virginia side of the Ohio River they were fortunate enough to kill a bear and ate so much of it that they both became very sick and were relieved by drinking what was called rock oil, which was found floating on the surface of Hughes River.
In common with most frontiersmen he had no liking for the Indian race and a favorite expression of his was "Dod blast their yaller hides."
He enlisted at Fort Nutter in the Virginia troops and served fourteen months during the Indian wars, a part of the time under Colonel William Lowther. He was pensioned by the Government for his military services.
While a party were gigging for fish in the West Fork River near the old fair ground, Hickman carrying the fagott or torch, two guns were flashed on the bank. He soused the fagott in the water and they all struck for shore. The string of fish had been thrown down and hearing the fish fluttering in the water Hickman returned and secured them and they all hurried to Clarksburg.
Flint locks were then in use and the powder in the pans of the Indians guns had become damp and thus failed to discharge the pieces.
The subject of this sketch was of a companionable disposition, an expert hunter and trapper and spent most of the time in those occupations during the fall and winter.
He died on his settlement right and was buried in the Haymond Grave Yard, having obtained a greater age than the others who came to the country with him in 1771.
Elias Hughes was born on the South Branch of the Potomac, his birth occurring sometime before Braddock's defeat in 1755.
He first appears on the public stage as a soldier participating in the battle of Point Pleasant in 1774, in which he took an active part. He was the last survivor of that conflict and lived seventy years after it was fought.
He next appears in Harrison County where for many years he was engaged as a scout, watching the Indian war parties and giving notices of their approach to the settlers of the Monongahela Valley, and in this capacity he was of great service to the frontier by his activity and knowledge of Indian war-fare.
He pre-empted 400 acres of land in 1770 on the West Fork River near the mouth of Hacker's Creek.
Hughes' father, and others of his kindred, and a young lady to whom he was much attached were murdered by the Indians. These acts of barbarity made him ever after an unrelenting and merciless enemy of the Indian race and he never spared one of them when opportunity occurred.
The Indian troubles having ceased by the treaty at Greenville in 1795, Hughes' services not being longer required, he entered into the employment as a hunter for a party of surveyors in Ohio, probably under the direction of John G. Jackson, Deputy Surveyor under Bufus Putnam, Surveyor for the United States Government.
Hughes was attracted by the fine appearance of the land on Licking River and concluded to locate on it, so in 1797 with his wife and twelve children, his nephew John Ratcliff with his wife and four children on foot and pack horses started west and settled on what is called the Bowling Green on the banks of the Licking four miles East of the present City of Newark. This colony of twenty one souls was the first permanent white settlement in the present County of Licking, State of Ohio.
In 1801 four horses were stolen by two Indians from Hughes and his neighbors. They were followed and overtaken and though his companions endeavored to pursued Hughes to spare their lives he strenuously objected, his old hatred for the race was too great to be overcome and the horse thieves paid the penalty.
Although about sixty years of age he served in the war of 1812, as also did three of his sons, one of whom died from disease.
He died in 1844 at about the age of ninety years and was buried with Military honors.
For many years he was a pensioner and during the latter part of his life he was afflicted with blindness.
Hughes was a quiet unassuming law abiding citizen, of a good disposition and had the respect of his neighbors. He was reasonable on all subjects but that of Indian warfare. He was a true child of the frontier and never forgave the savages for their merciless war on helpless women and children.
Jesse Hughes the noted border and Indian scout was it is supposed born on the South Branch of the Potomac and came to the West in 1770 and located his 400 acres on Hacker's Creek adjoining lands afterwards owned by Colonel William Lowther.
He participated in many expeditions against the Indians and was perhaps better known and had a wider reputation for daring that any man on the Upper waters of the Monongahela and he did much to protect the settlers from the forays of the savages.
He had a fierce temper and bore an intense hatred to the Indians, and no one of that race was safe with him either in war or peace.
Some of his exploits are mentioned in other parts of this volume.
He lived to a great age and died at the house of his son-in-law George Henshaw in Jackson County, West Virginia, about 1830.
Dr. Edward B. Jackson
Dr. Edward B. Jackson was born in Clarksburg January 25, 1793 and died at Bedford Springs September 8, 1826.
He received a liberal education under Rev. George Towers the principal of the Randolph Academy and commenced the study of medicine under Dr. William Williams.
In the Fall of 1812, he in response to the Call of the Government for more troops after the surrender of Detroit by General Hull, volunteered as a mounted rifleman. He was detailed as Surgeon's mate in the 3rd. Regiment of Virginia Militia and served at Fort Meigs in Northern Ohio.
He was tendered an appointment as surgeon in the United States Army but declined it.
In 1815 Dr. Jackson was elected a delegate to the General Assembly of Virginia and in 1820 was elected to Congress to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of James Pindall, and was also elected for a full term, which expired March 4, 1823.
The Clarksburg Intelligencer issued September 23, 1826 states, in referring to Dr. Jackson's death that "In all the various stations to which he was called he supported with credit to himself the interest and honor of the District he represented. The death of such a man is both a national and a private loss. Peace to his ashes."
George Jackson, the son of John, was born East of the mountains in Virginia or Maryland and came to the Buckhannon settlement with his father in 1769. He was probably nearly grown at that time as he entered 400 acres in 1773 on the second Big Run. The State Census for 1782 reports him as having five in his family at that time.
The first County Court for Harrison County was held at his home on the Buckhannon River in 1784. This Court granted him permission to build a mill at Clarksburg on Elk Creek and he moved to that place shortly afterwards. There is a mill still occupying this location.
George Jackson inherited from his mother both bodily and mental strength, was a courageous determined man, of strong character, and very much disposed to have his own way in anything he was connected with, and was prominent in public affairs.
He bore his full share in defending the settlements from savage raiders and could always be depended upon in any emergency.
He was an officer of Militia, Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, Member of the Legislature, Member of the Virginia Convention that adopted the constitution of the United States and served in the 4th., 6th, and 7th. Congress. His first term in Congress was the last one of Washington's administration and was held in Philadelphia. It is said of him that whir making a speech in Congress his statements caused considerable amusement among the members, which provoked him into saying that he would go home and send his son John to congress and they would not laugh at him. The records show that he was succeeded by his son, John G. Jackson in the 8th. Congress, which held its first session in October 1803, which indicates that he carried out his threat and shows his great influence in his community.
The idea he intended to convey by his remarks was that though he himself was not an educated man, that his son was and could hold his own among them.
George Jackson recruited a Company in 1781 to join General George Rogers Clark's expedition against the British at Detroit, from which place Indian War parties were equipped and sent out against the frontier of Virginia and Kentucky. The Company built canoes and joined the expedition near Fort Pitt and floated down the Ohio to the Falls where Louisville now stands, at which place the expedition was abandoned and the Company returned home by way of the river, a long, tedious, and dangerous journey.
Colonel Jackson in later life moved to the present site of Zanesville, Ohio, where he erected a mill and other enterprises.
He represented his County in the Ohio Legislature and lived to a good old age.
John Jackson, the pioneer of the Jackson family in West Virginia was born in Londonderry, Ireland, about the year 1719, his father removed to London when John was quite young and there he learned the builders trade.
In 1748 he emigrated to Cecil County in the colony of Maryland and there married Elizabeth Cummins an English woman who according to tradition was a large, strong minded, energetic, courageous woman of great strength of character, which traits were inherited by her descendants.
This couple were the progenitors of a long line of able enterprising men, who were distinguished in military and civil life and left their impress on the times in which they lived.
Several years after their marriage the young couple moved West and after several temporary locations, in 1769, crossed the mountains and located on the Buckhannon River at the mouth of Turkey Bun. Jackson had under the guidance of Samuel Pringle explored the country in the year previous, 1768.
John Jackson did his share of pioneer work and took an active part in the Indian wars of the period.
He was the father of George, who was distinguished above his brothers, the grandfather of John G. the able United States Judge and Congressman, and the Great Grandfather of Thomas J. (Stonewall) whose fame as a soldier is world wide.
He died at Clarksburg in 1804, aged 85 years. His wife, Elizabeth also died in Clarksburg in 1825 at the age of 101 years.
Judge John G. Jackson
John George Jackson, the son of George Jackson was born at or near the present town of Buckhannon in the year 17?? and came when a small boy to Clarksburg with his father.
He received a liberal education for the times, studied law and entered early into public life, being a member of the Virginia Legislature as early as 1797 serving several sessions. Was Surveyor of government lands west of the Ohio, a representative in the 8th., 9th., 10th., 11th., 13th., and 14th. Congresses, commencing his first term in 1803, and a Brigadier General of Militia. In 1819 was appointed United States Judge for the Western District of Virginia and held that office until his death March 29, 1825.
He was twice married, first to a Miss Mary Payne, a sister of Mrs. Madison whose husband was subsequently President, and who as Dolly Madison was famous for her beauty and social qualities, and whose gracious reign at the White House still lingers among the traditions of that famous historic building as having never been surpassed by any of her successors. This marriage was the first one celebrated in the White House.
Judge Jackson's second wife was Mary, the daughter of Governor Return Jonathan Meigs of Ohio and Post Master General under the administration of Madison and Monroe.
The subject of this sketch was the most remarkable man West of the mountains and besides filling many public positions with marked ability he established many enterprises and developed the resources of the country to a surprising degree to the great benefit of the inhabitants.
At Miles End, East of Clarksburg for many years known as the "Factory" he built quite a town and had in operation a flour mill, carding machines, a furnace, foundry, fulling mill, tan yard and other factories.
The pits he dug for ore can still be seen in many places around Clarksburg.
In addition to the above he had a forge at the Hugill Ford on Elk three miles from Clarksburg, Salt Works on the river and a saw mill on Davisson's Run.
He contemplated turning the waters of the Buckhannon River into those of the West Fork to give him more water power and procured an Act of the Legislature for that purpose, but this was never accomplished.
He ran flat boats down to the neighborhood of Pittsburgh loaded with flax, tobacco, ginseng, woolen cloth, salt, maple sugar, leather, iron, nails, horse shoes, pots, skillets and other products and wares. He built dams on the West Fork River to improve the navigation, but they were all swept out by a great flood and the enterprise was abandoned.
No man who preceded Judge Jackson or succeeded him seemed to have possessed the energy and ability to carry on the works that he had established. Water was the only power known in his day, and had he lived in the days of steam and electricity what he would have accomplished with the resources at his command is beyond the bounds of conjecture.
Judge Jackson while a member of Congress fought a duel with Congressman Pearson of South Carolina and received a wound in the hip which caused a lameness for the rest of his life.
This wound caused him to go on horseback a great deal. Many of the old surveys made by him, have the line and corner trees marked with the tomahawk, high up from the root of the tree, showing them to have been made by a horseman.
The following is a copy of the inscription on the tombstone of the first Mrs. Jackson in the old Jackson Grave Yard, where her mother, Mrs. Payne is also buried:
"Here lies interred Mary, the beloved wife of John G. Jackson. It requires not this marble slab to perpetuate her memory. It is embalmed in the heart of a husband who adored her and of many relatives and friends who loved her sincerely, but that when the stranger shall tread this hallowed place, he may with reverential awe approach the spot, where lies the form which once contained the noblest spirit, that ever adorned her sex, in all the endearing attributes of wife, mother and friend, and contemplate the destiny of all in her, whom virtue, love and youth could not exempt from death.
She expired in the arms of her husband on the 13th. of February, 1808 in the 27th. year of her age."
Governor Joseph Johnson
Joseph Johnson was born in Orange County, New York, December 19, 1785, and came with his mother, a widow to near Bridgeport about 1803, where he lived until his death February 27, 1877.
He was self educated and was always an eager participant in the debating societies in his neighborhood. In 1811 he was appointed a constable, his first appearance in public life. He was captain of a Company of Riflemen from Harrison County in the war of 1812 with England and marched it to Norfolk.
He was elected to the Legislature in 1818. In 1823 he was elected to the 18th. Congress, also to the 19th. to the vacancy in the 22nd. occasioned by the death of Philip Doddridge, serving from January 21 to March 2, 1833 and to the 24th, 25th, 26th and 29th, Congress retiring in 1847. He was again elected to the Legislature in 1847 and in 1850 he was chosen a member of the Constitutional Convention.
While serving in that body he was elected Governor for a short term by the Legislature and upon the adoption of the new constitution by which that office was made elective by the people he was elected Governor for four years defeating George W. Summers.
Previous to this time the Governor had always been chosen by the legislature and thus it came to pass that Mr. Johnson was the first Governor of Virginia chosen by the suffrage of the people, and the only one who ever held the office who lived west of the Allegheny mountains.
In the war of 1861 Governor Johnson's sympathies were with the South and during that period he left Bridgeport and lived quietly inside of the Confederate lines in Virginia and returned to his home in 1865 after the cessation of hostilities.
Governor Johnson was a medium sized man of agreeable manners, a persuasive stump speaker and of great political popularity among the people.
When he was a candidate for Governor he was opposed by George W. Summers of Kanawha County who was a finished orator and the idol of the whigs in Western Virginia.
There were no joint debates during the campaign and Johnson's political opponents charged that he would not dare meet Summers on the stump to discuss the issues of the campaign.
To this Johnson replied "I do not shrink from meeting Mr. Summers for have I not met the lion of the forest and shaken the dew drops from his mane." This illusion is to Philip Doddridge, who was perhaps the ablest man in the West and had a reputation as a scholar, lawyer and orator exceeded by none.
Governor Johnson was a good conversationalist and having met all the prominent men of his time his recollection of passed events was exceedingly interesting.
He had the respect and admiration of the people of his county and his private life was without reproach.
Waldo P. Johnson
Waldo P. Johnson, a nephew of Governor Joseph Johnson was born and reared to manhood at Bridgeport in this county. He studied law and moved to Missouri.
He served as a Lieutenant in Col. Doniphan's Regiment of Cavalry in the war with Mexico, was a member of the Legislature, a Judge of the Circuit Court, a member of both the United States and Confederate States Senate and President of the Missouri Constitutional Convention after the Civil War.
The subject of this sketch was of a Maryland family, but himself a native of the District of Columbia. He came to Clarksburg and established a store in a small wooden building which stood on the North side of Main Street below what is now Third Street. In course of time he purchased the old Hewes tavern stand on the corner of Third and Main Streets and lived and conducted business there until his death in 1879. It is still known as Lowndes Corner.
In the many years in which Mr. Lowndes conducted the mercantile business he builded a reputation for integrity second to none in the community and the name of Lowndes has ever since stood as a synonym for honesty and fair dealing.
Mr. Lowndes married Elizabeth, the daughter of Major Thomas P. Moore. and his son Richard still continues business at the old place.
His son Lloyd graduated from Allegheny College, Meadville, Penna., in 1865, and from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1867, located at Cumberland, Maryland was elected a member of the 43rd. Congress, and in 1895. was elected Governor of Maryland for four years.
Governor Lowndes was connected with many financial and other institutions, and died January 8, 1905, in the prime of his manhood and usefulness and in the fullness of his fame, honored, loved and respected by his people.
Col. William Lowther
William Lowther was the son of Robert Lowther, who moved to the Hacker's Creek settlement in 1772. He soon became one of the most conspicuous men in that section of the Country, while his private virtues and public actions endeared him to the community.
During the war of 1774 and the following hostilities he was the most active and efficient defender of the vicinity against the savage foe, and there were very few scouting parties from this neighborhood by which Indians were killed or dispersed but those which were commanded by him.
During the latter part of the war he had charge of the line of scouts along the Ohio River, covering the approaches to the settlements in the Monongahela Valley, and performed that duty to the satisfaction of the State Authorities.
Colonel Lowther in civil life was a Justice of the Peace in the District of West Augusta, the first sheriff of Harrison and Wood Counties and served as a member of the General Assembly. His descendants are still in this County.
It is a matter of regret that so little is known of the life and services of this most distinguished citizen. The date of his birth is not known and it is supposed that his death occurred in Wood County.
The Border Warfare speaks in the highest terms of Colonel Lowther's active and successful exertions in what is known as the "starving year" to relieve the sufferings of the settlers.
The starving year was in 1773 and was caused by the corn crop of the preceding year not being sufficient to furnish bread for the increased population.
His settlement right was for 400 acres on Hacker's Creek in 1772 adjoining land of Jesse Hughes.
In 1782 he had eight members in his family.
Colonel William Martin was born in New Jersey October 10, 1763, and came to Clarksburg at a very early date, where he was engaged in the mercantile business.
He was Sheriff of the County and long a Justice of the Peace and at all times prominent in public affairs, and always had the respect and confidence of the people. He owned land near Romine's Mills and made that his home until his death August 25, 1851.
He served in the war of the Revolution enlisting at Lebannon, New Jersey in 1779 and served in the Commissary Department under Captains McKnight, James Johnston and John Bray, at Pittstown and Raritan's Landing and was present at the storming of Stony Point.
The subject of this sketch was born at Orange, New Jersey, November 13, 1760, and when quite young with two brothers served in the War of the Revolution.
He married Mary Fields and in 1790 moved to "Western Virginia and located on McKinney's Run near the present town of Jane Lew, where he lived until his death on February 4, 1848, and was buried at the McWhorter Chapel near the above town.
He was for fifty years a class leader in the M. E. Church, and for several years while religious meetings were being held in the settlers cabins, a sentinel would be left outside to guard against surprise from the Indians.
He aided in carrying the remains of Mrs. John Waggoner to West's Fort when she had been killed by Indians in 1792.
Mr. McWhorter owned the first mill in the present County of Lewis and during times of scarcity of corn meal refused to raise the price to the settlers but sold at the ordinary price and would permit the same to be paid for by labor.
The log house which he built more than a hundred years ago is still standing.
In all the walks of life as a soldier, farmer, miller, Christian, worker and citizen he performed his duties conscientiously and lived a pure and unsullied life.
Henry McWhorter left many descendants, quite a number of them becoming distinguished in civil and military life, one participated as Captain in the war of 1812. with England, and thirteen served in the great civil war and all on the Union side.
Others have been members of Legislatures, County officials, Judges of Circuit Courts, and one, Henry C. McWhorter, a Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, and all have filled their varied and honorable positions with credit to themselves, and have been faithful to the trusts confided to them.
Thomas Nutter entered his homestead of 400 acres about two miles from Clarksburg on the West Side of Elk Creek and on the road to Buckhannon in 1775 and preempted one thousand acres adjoining.
On this tract was built the famous Nutter's Fort, which was a harbor of refuge for the neighborhood during the Indian wars.
The census of 1782 shows that he had a family of eight in that year.
The date of his birth and death are not known.
Some of his original settlement right is still owned by his descendants.
James Pindall the celebrated lawyer was born in Monongalia County about 1783. He studied law and was admitted to the Bar at Morgantown in 1803. Not long after this he moved to Clarksburg and had a wide reputation as a learned lawyer.
He served in the Legislature of the State, was colonel of Militia and was twice elected to Congress serving in that body from 1817 to 1820 when he resigned and was succeeded by Dr. Edward Jackson.
He was a very brilliant though an eccentric man and many amusing anecdotes are told of him. The County Court records show that he has been fined for using profane language in the presence of the Court.
The following order was entered on the County Court records when his death was announced:
"At a County Court held on the 22nd. day of November, 1825, The Court having received the mournful intelligence that James Pindall, Esquire, Attorney at law, departed this life about 4 o'clock this morning, by whose death it has lost one of the oldest and ablest advisors and Society one of its most valuable members.
As a testimony of the deep regret which the Court feels for the loss of their distinguished fellow citizen,
Resolved, That the Court do adjourn until Thursday next: that the members of the Court will attend his funeral in a body, and wear crape upon their left arms for one month."
He built and lived in the brick house now standing opposite the Episcopal Church on Main Street, in Clarksburg, West Virginia.
James Pindall was the son of Thomas Pindall, whose first wife was killed by Indians in 1781. His second wife was Julia Scott, said to have been of the General Winfield Scott family and she was the mother of James.
Thomas Pindall was an early settler in Monongalia County having entered his homestead of 400 acres on the Flaggy Meadow Run, his wife formerly Elizabeth Harrison was killed by Indians in 1781 almost in sight of Harrison's Fort on Crooked Run now in Cass District.
His second wife was Julia Scott, who was the mother of the celebrated lawyer James Pindall of Clarksburg and of the three sisters who passed their married lives in Clarksburg, Jemima, who married George I. Davisson, Elizabeth, who married Forbes Britton and Rachel, who married Thomas P. Moore.
Mrs. Britton died at Baton Rouge, Louisiana of the yellow fever while on a visit to her son, Captain Forbes Britton, 7th. Infantry U. S. Army.
The descendants of these three sisters had a marked influence on the social and political life of Harrison County and filled positions of honor and trust both in civil and military life.
Major Benjamin Robinson
The above named settled in 1775 on 400 acres of land near the present town of Lumberport.
He was a man of great force of character, took an active part in the Indian troubles, was long a justice of the peace, served as sheriff of the County and did well his part as a useful citizen in the stirring times of the pioneers.
Many of his descendants still reside in the County.
The Shinn Family
In a history of the Shinn family by Josiah H. Shinn published in 1903 it is stated that Levi Shinn who was born in New Jersey in 1748 and married Elizabeth Smith in 1772, died at Shinnston was the pioneer of the Westward movement so far as the family of Shinn was connected with it. The records do not disclose his dismissal from any New Jersey meeting of friends. Neither do they show when he reached Hopewell, Virginia, nor how long he remained there. Tradition and the records say that he lived for awhile on Apple Pie Ridge in Frederick County, Virginia, where others of the family and others from New Jersey had taken residence. In 1778 we find him in Harrison County, Virginia, blazing with his ax the domain which was to be under his tomahawk right and near which the town of Shinnston now stands.
After this he returned to Hopewell for his family. His description of the Country so pleased his friends and relatives that many of them determined to move.
Some time in the year 1779 Levi with his family, his brother Clement and his family, his cousin Benjamin and family, viz.: Samuel, Isaac, Amy and Lucretia Shinn, and some of the Clarks, Antrims, Earls, Drakes, Herberts and others set out for Harrison County. Arriving there they took up such lands as pleased them and began their improvement. Levi Shinn had already made his selection, Clement located on Middle Creek about one mile from where Shinnston was afterwards laid out. Isaac Shinn went about six miles away and chose a location on Simpson's Creek, while Samuel Shinn made a selection on Ten Mile Creek about fifteen miles away, clearing and house building kept them busy and the Indians troubled them so frequently as to make them forget their peaceable doc-trines and fight for their lives. The necessity of a fort soon presented itself and upon a prominent location three miles away they erected a stockade. They were pleased with their settlement and sent word back to Hopewell and to New Jersey inviting other friends and relatives to join them in the West.
The records show that Levi Shinn entered 400 acres of land on the West Pork River with a preemption to 1000 acres adjoining in 1773. By the census of 1782 he had seven in his family.
Benjamin Shinn entered 400 acres in 1773 on Simpson's Creek. By the State census in 1782 he had a family of eight.
Philip Shuttleworth came from England and landing at Alexandria, Virginia, came west at an early day and located his settlement right on Tom's Bun, a tributary of the Monongahela River on the East side now in Marion County, in the year 1777.
The commissioners of unpatented lands in 1781 granted him one thousand acres, which included his settlement right.
His son, Notley A. Shuttleworth was a soldier in the war of 1812 with England and was for many years a prominent resident of Harrison County.
Quite a number of his descendants are still here and are active enterprising people.
The Washburn Family
The Washburn family were very early settlers in the County. Isaac located his homestead of 388 acres on the West Fork River to include the mouth of Isaac's Creek above Milford, in 1771. After his death his heir, Nancy, supposed to be his wife was granted title to his land.
Charles in the same neighborhood entered his claim in 1773. James located adjoining Charles in 1775 and in addition to his settlement right preempted 1000 acres adjoining. Stephen lived with or near James. The above four were brothers and all were killed by the Indians: Isaac killed near Clemen's Mills, Charles near Clarksburg and Stephen on the West Fork at James' cabin. James was taken prisoner at the same time and tortured to death at their towns West of the Ohio.
The descendants of some of these are still in the County. The census for 1785 contains the name of Rebecca Washburn whose family consisted of four members. She was the widow of one of those named above.
Alexander West was prominent as a frontier scout. He was represented to be a tall, spare man, very erect, strong, lithe and active, dark skinned, prominent Roman nose, black hair, keen eyes, not handsome, rather raw boned but with a bearing that commanded the attention and respect of those with whom he associated.
He was of a quiet disposition and only lifted his arm against the Indians in time of war. He had the confidence of the community and his knowledge of the woods and of the Indian's method of warfare made him a power for good that was felt all along the frontier.
He died in 1834 near Jane Lew. His house of hewn logs is with a barn still standing about a mile east of the site of West's Fort and is still occupied by his kindred.
In the vicinity of the Beech Port West discovered an Indian. He fired and wounded him in the shoulder. The Indian made off and was not pursued as an ambuscade was feared. Two weeks later his body was found two miles from the fort on Life's run a branch of Hacker's Creek in a cleft of rocks into which he had crawled and miserably perished.
Colonel Benjamin Wilson
Benjamin Wilson was born in what is now Shenandoah County, Virginia, November 30, 1747, of Scotch ancestry.
When a small boy his father moved to what is now Hardy County.
His first appearance in official life was as a Lieutenant in Lord Dunmore's expedition against the Ohio Indians in the Sciota Valley and he served on the Governor's staff.
On his return East from this expedition in the Fall of 1774 with a small party, he passed through the beautiful Tygart's Valley and was so much pleased with it that he bought out the Tomahawk rights of two settlers about four miles from Beverly and moved his family there shortly afterwards and built what is known as Wilson's fort.
As Captain of Militia he took an active part in the pursuit of Indian marauders and was always prompt to relieve the suffering inhabitants and conducted his Military operations with marked ability and prudence.
When later during the Revolutionary period he was appointed Colonel he was the organ through which most of the Military affairs in his part of the State was conducted, and he performed his duties with such skill and good judgment, as to become a tower of strength to the frontier settlers, and more than once by the exercise of his influence, prevented the whole settlement from being abandoned and the inhabitants retiring East of the mountains, on account of the repeated depredations of the Indians.
Colonel Wilson was several times a delegate to the Virginia Legislature, was a member from Randolph County of the convention of 1788 that adopted the constitution of the United States, was a Justice of the Peace and Clerk of the County Court of Harrison County from its formation in 1784 to 1814 when he was succeeded by his son John.
Besides his public duties he conducted large business operations and in many ways contributed to the development of the County.
Randolph County was formed from Harrison in 1787 and a short time afterwards Colonel Wilson, removed from his home in the Valley back into Harrison County, it being necessary for him to do so in order to retain his position as Clerk of the County Court.
He purchased 400 acres of land of William Lowther on Simpson's Creek below Bridgeport, and moved on to it, built a flour and saw mill, woolen mill and engaged in other enterprises.
The sublet of this sketch was twice married, first September 4, 1770. to Ann Ruddell of Hampshire County, and second on December 15, 1795, to Phoebe Davisson of Harrison County. Colonel Wilson had born to him by the first wife twelve and by the second one seventeen children. Twenty four of these children reached adult age and were living at the time of his death.
The last of these children Rachel was born July 20, 1820, and died July 31, 1906, near Quiet Dell. She was twice married, first to Lewis Haymond and second to W. D. Wilson and left several children.
Colonel Wilson died at his residence in Harrison County December 2, 1827, two days after his 80th. birthday, leaving surviving him twenty four children, seventy three grandchildren, thirty two great grand children and one great great grand child making one hundred and thirty descendants.
Colonel Wilson is described as a man of affairs, of extensive information, of large experience of a genial kindly disposition, good conversational powers, of sound judgment and good sense, of stalwart person and dignified bearing, a vigorous intellect and a daring and courageous frontiersman.
His character and integrity was without a blemish, and he was of commanding presence and possessed of that elegance of manner pertaining to a gentleman of the old school.
In his time he was the most prominent figure in the Monongahela Valley and a natural leader of men. In politics he was a Federalist.
Col. Wilson was present at the treaty made with the hostile Indians at Camp Charlotte on the Sciota River, Ohio by Lord Dunmore. Cornstalk, the great Shawnee Chief, who had commanded at the battle of Point Pleasants October 10, 1774, took part in the Council and his appearance is described elsewhere.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails