West Virginia State Site

Jefferson County, West Virginia


Abert, John James
Abert, John James, soldier, was born Sept. 17, 1788, in Shepardtown, Va. In 1829 he succeeded to the charge of the topographical bureau at Washington; and in 1838 became colonel in command of that branch of the engineers. He was retired in 1861 after long and faithful service. Colonel Abert was associated in the supervision of many of the earlier national works of engineering; and his reports prepared for the government are standards of authority. He was a member of several scientific societies; and was one of the organizers of the national institute of science, which was subsequently merged into the Smithsonian institute. He died Sept. 27, 1863, in Washington, D.C.["Herringshaws National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Bedinger, Henry
Bedinger, Henry, lawyer, diplomat, congressman, was born in 1810 near Shepherdstown, Va. In 1847-48 he was a representative from Virginia to the thirtieth congress. In 1853 he was appointed charge d'affaires to Denmark, afterward was minister resident. During his residence in Denmark he was successful in bringing about the treaty abolishing the sound dues. He died Nov. 26, 1858. in Shepherdstown, Va. ["Herringshaws National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by AFOFG]

(Died) Shepherdstown, Va., Nov. 26, (1858) ae. 48. He was naturally amiable, and blessed with many noble endowments. His native wit, happy humor, and affability made him numerous friends, and indeed a general favorite. He truly possessed social qualities of rare attraction. Few men have had as devoted friends. Indeed, the admiration of his particular associates knew no bounds. They almost idolized him. His opportunities of education were but limited. His father, the late Daniel Bedinger, of revolutionary memory, died when Henry was young – only about 10 or 12 years of age – leaving him in the care of a devoted mother, a daughter of the late Robert Rutherford, the first representative in Congress from the lower end of the Valley. Not many years after, his mother, too, was called to that better world.
At the age of about 18 he had been placed, by the advice and means of the elder brother and a friend, much to the satisfaction of his mother, in the clerk’s office in Romney, Hampshire Co., under the auspices of Col. J. Baker White, preparatory to the study of law, the profession of his choice. He was then invited by his brother-in-law, Wm. Lucas, to become an inmate of his family in Charlestown , and then commenced reading law with him in 1835 or ’36.
He obtained a license to practice law in 1837 or ’38, at the age of 22, and opened a law office in Shepherdstown, in sight of which place he was born and raised on the banks of the Potomac , and which he called his native place, and loved so dearly, and where he breathed his last. In the mean time he married a daughter of the lamented Gen. George Rust, and entered into a partnership with his brother-in-law, and removed to Charlestown ; and in 1845 succeeded him as representative in Congress from this district.
In that capacity he served two terms. He belonged to the democratic party, of which, in his day, his father had been the acknowledged head in the lower end of the Valley, and a distinguished leader. It was while his brother-in-law was in Congress, leaving him in charge of the law office, that the subject of this notice was first invited by his political friends to attempt a display of those oratorical powers which he possessed in so high a degree, and that were so often afterwards called into requisition. So telling and thrilling were his first efforts that he was at once, by common consent, regarded as the most popular and effective speaker in this part of the state, and, indeed, within its entire limits. He became a “star,” and one of the first magnitude, in the “Old Dominion.”
He was always ready and at hand, and with his electrifying eloquence ever aroused the democratic party in the darkest and gloomiest hours, and enkindled that burning enthusiasm which gave the triumph that else had been lost.
His wit, his fancy, poured forth in incessant sallies; his withering sarcasm, his deep pathos, and his originality, with a ridicule, all resistless when indulged, constituted him the most formidable of speakers in political contests, and the most admired of popular orators.
It was his misfortune to lose his first wife soon after his removal to Charlestown – a lovely woman, and with whom he lived about six years most happily – amiable, gentle, and a devoted wife. She was the object, as she deserved to be, of the most ardent affections of a noble mind and heart, and was held in high estimation by all. She left behind a son and two daughters, one of whom soon followed her to the grave.
During his service in Congress, Mr. B. married his second wife, Miss Lawrence, a daughter of the Hon. _____ Lawrence , of New York , then also a member of the House of Representatives. Her he has left behind with three little children – a son and two daughters – the children, as were those of his first wife, of too tender years to feel how great is their bereavement.
Not long after the end of his second congressional term, President Pierce appointed him a charge d’affaires to Denmark , in which position he was subsequently commissioned minister there, the office having been raised to that dignity during his service as charge, and he well performed his part in the discharge of the honorable and responsible trust. The question of the Sound Dues was most advantageously settled for his country by a treaty which he wrote with his own hand – itself a monument to his name and to his fame.
Rarely has a public man passed from the stage of life having fewer enemies and a larger body of admiring and enthusiastic friends.

At the session of the County Court for Berkley , Dec. 13, a public meeting was held at which Col. J.B.A. Nadenboush presided, and the following resolutions were passed by the citizens:

1.      That they will bear willing testimony to the great patriotism, ability, and fidelity with which Hon. Henry Bedinger fulfilled the high public trusts confided to him; and that in his death Virginia has lost a true and loyal son, and her dearest rights and interests a bold and eloquent defender.
2.      That while painfully lamenting this, the memory of his many virtues now alone remains to them; they will ever recall, with mournful pleasure, the frank and genial nature, high-toned character, and gallant and chivalric bearing, which made Henry Bedinger always welcome to every heart and home in their midst. [Source:  "Annual OBITUARY NOTICES OF EMINENT PERSONS who have died in the United States FOR 1858"; BY HON. NATHAN CROSBY; BOSTON : JOHN P. JEWETT AND COMPANY. 1859. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.]

Berry, Lawrence Lee Griggs
Private, Company G, 2d Virginia Infantry.
The ancestors of Lawrence Berry, on both sides, were natives of the State of Virginia from its earliest settlement as a colony. His father, Rev. Robert Taylor Berry, was the son of Lawrence Berry and Catharine Hodge, of Berry Plains, King George County; his mother, Annie Frame Griggs, the daughter of Dr. Lee Griggs and Eliza Frame, of Charlestown, Jefferson County, where he was born, September 14, 1839.
The first ten years of his life were spent in Georgetown, D. C., during which time Mr. Berry was pastor of the Bridge Street (Presbyterian) Church of that city. He was a quiet, thoughtful, reserved child, but with a quick and passionate temper, which, however, he afterwards learned by severe discipline to control. When his father removed to Martinsburg, Virginia, Lawrence accompanied him, and there, in the town Academy, laid the foundation of a classical education. From Martinsburg he was transferred to the flourishing school of Rev. Dr. William H. Foote, in Romney, where he prosecuted his linguistic studies, preparatory to college. In 1857, he entered the University of Virginia. Here he remained two sessions, and graduated in Political Economy and Moral Philosophy. After leaving the University, he engaged in teaching, proposing meanwhile to qualify himself for the practice of law as a profession. Thus he spent one year at Charlestown, after which he was employed by his former preceptor, Dr. Foote, as assistant in his Academy at Romney.
In the spring of 1861, when the war became imminent, Lawrence Berry began to consider seriously the political issues involved. His judgment was clear and mature for one of his age, and the decision of character which marked his childhood and youth had kept pace with his years. Having arrived at the painful conclusion that there was but one course which a Virginian could honorably pursue, he left the shades of the Academy, and under a stern sense of duty, embraced the first opportunity to volunteer in the Southern army.
Accordingly, he enrolled himself, along with his brother, a youth of only sixteen, in Company G, 2d Virginia Infantry. Immediately after his enlistment, he learned something of the active service of a soldier, for he was with General Johnston when he faced, and manoeuvred [sic] against, General Patterson at Bunker Hill; and tinder his standards he made the forced march when that General, eluding his enemy in the Valley, hastened through Ashby's Gap to Piedmont Station, in order to join Beauregard at Manassas on the 20th July.
The 2d Virginia belonged to Jackson's Brigade, whose conduct on the bloody plains of Manassas was immortalized by the words of the chivalric Bee, as he rallied the battle-worn remnants of his own brigade:—"See Jackson's men; they stand like a stone wall!" More fortunate than many of his comrades, young Berry passed unhurt through the ordeal of the 21st July.
During the period of quiet that succeeded, he remained with his regiment, faithfully and patiently performing the duties of the camp. When questioned by his father at this time, in regard to the severity of the soldier's life as compared with that of the student, he readily admitted that his powers of endurance were sorely tried, but declared, at the same time, that he did not regret the step he had taken, and that under like circumstances he would pursue the same course.
In the month of September, the Army of Northern Virginia was advanced to Fairfax Court-House, and General Johnston held as outposts, with regimental pickets, Fall's Church, Munson's and Mason's Hills, the latter being in sight of the Federal Capitol. On the 20th instant, the 2d Virginia was ordered to this duty at Munson's Hill, and Company G was sent to relieve that of Captain Nadenbousch. The following extract from a letter, written by the Captain of Company G to the Rev. Mr. Berry, under (late September 26, 1861, explains the rest:—" I was informed by Captain Nadenbousch, "wrote Captain Edwin L. Moore," that certain of the picket-posts on his line were very dangerous on account of their close proximity to the enemy's line, as well as on account of the exposed position of our sentinels, and the advantage of shelter, which the enemy had in some thick pines by which they could approach very close to us without being seen. I was cautioned to select my most determined and self-possessed men for a post designated by the number 12. I did so, and among those selected was your son, whose coolness and determination on other occasions had attracted my notice. The pickets were posted after night, and being totally unacquainted with the ground to be defended, and the approaches to it, were of course at a great disadvantage in case the enemy should attack. Unfortunately they did attack the very post at which your son was stationed. Favored by the nature of the ground, they were able to make a point within twenty paces of the post, entirely unobserved by my men. Having reached this point, some fifty or sixty of the enemy made a sudden sally between daybreak and sunrise, firing a volley at my men. A shot from this volley penetrated your son's breast; but he, though fatally wounded, discharged his musket, and was the last to leave the post, though it was attacked by an overwhelming force—there being only five or six to defend it. He retreated some seventy-five yards, when, overcome by exhaustion from loss of blood, he fell, and was found dead, with his arms by his side, about twenty minutes after, by a reserve force sent out to beat back the enemy and regain the posts. Such are the facts. . . . In a worldly point of view, your son's death is surrounded by every circumstance that honors a soldier's end. He was at the post of danger; he fell in the discharge of his duty."
Could any soldier wish a more honorable epitaph than the words of this closing sentence? If anything is wanting, it is supplied by the writer of his obituary, which was published in the Central Presbyterian, June 26, 1861:—“From his childhood he had been carefully trained in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and in the faith and hope of the Christian he had lived an unspotted life. By his reverence for God and His law, he gave pleasing evidence, the ground of a cheering hope, that he was wrought upon by a higher than any earthly power."  [Source: The University Memorial Biographical Sketches of Alumni of the University of Virginia Who Fell in the Confederate War, by Rev. John Lipscomb Johnson (1871) transcribed by Sandra Stutzman]

Bishop, Charles Mortimer
In the prime of manhood and usefulness still is Charles M. Bishop, of Kingwood, Preston county. He was born at Moorefield, in the county of Hardy, Virginia, January 4, 1827, and attended school there and in Charlestown, Jefferson county In 1843 his father moved to Kingwood, and he learned the trade of saddler, working under his father's instruction and command, early and late. July 16, 1851, he wedded Margaret E., daughter of Reuben Morris. From that time till August, 1872. he was in mercantile business at Rowlesburg, on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, when he returned to Kingwood. He was elected as a Republican to the House of Delegates in 1870, serving till 1872, when he was chosen State Senator for the District composed of Preston and Monongalia counties. In both branches of legislation he was an important member of the Finance Committee, also of the Senate Committees on Education and Humane Institutions. In religious faith he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He devotes his time between his store at the county seat, his several stock farms, the National Bank of which he is a director, and the affairs of the county as Commissioner. He neglects none, and is earnest, sincere and esteemed in all. [Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, the Growth and Advancement of the State, a Compendium of Returns of Every State Officer by George Wesley Atkinson and Alvaro Franklin Gibbens, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Boteler, Alexander R.
Boteler, Alexander R., congressman, was born May 16, 1815, in Shepherdstown, Va. In 1859-61 he was a representative from Virginia to the thirty-sixth congress. During a part of the civil war he served as a representative in the confederate congress. In 1875 he was appointed a commissioner to the centennial exhibition. He died May 8, 1892, in Virginia.
["Herringshaws National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Botts, Lawson
Although our peculiar Southern civilization has passed away, its friends can point with proud satisfaction to the men that it has produced, and can argue that a social system that produced such men as adorn the history of Virginia and the South, was not unworthy of the struggle in which that system expired.
Viewed from a material stand-point, its results are far inferior to those of its successful rival. No vast accumulation of capital, in corporate or individual hands, appears in Southern statistics. No great monuments of human art or human labor adorn her scenery. Her rivers, great and small, have been allowed to flow in comparative peace from their mountain sources to the bosom of the ocean. The solitude of her mountains has generally been undisturbed, save by the woodman's axe, the hunter's rifle, and the peaceful shepherd and herdsman. And yet, notwithstanding all this comparative indifference to material development, the southern section of our country has produced men the peers of earth's greatest sons, in the Senate or in the field, in the forum or in the home circle. We of Virginia have been in the habit of pointing with pride to the list of our distinguished men. That list is not confined to our revolutionary period, but extends from the day that gave birth to George Washington to that of the death of Robert E. Lee. This habit of ours is considered by our materialistic neighbors as a Virginia weakness. The pleasure which we take in contemplating the characters of our good and great men affords amusement to the worshipers at the shrine of mere material development. They wonder that we can dwell with such satisfaction on the deeds and characters of our immortal dead. We, on the other hand, wonder that men can see more to attract in the power that drives a cotton mill, than in that which impels a man to the performance of duty amid all the trials and temptations of life.
And as our list of great men is not confined to one period of our history, neither is it limited to those who have held high places and received the plaudits of the world. Such are but representative men, of higher position, and, if you please, of higher intellectual and moral endowment, but in the bosom of the State that gave them birth there were men of kindred qualities and powers, alike in kind but different only in degree.
General Robert E. Lee achieved a reputation world-wide, and he is often spoken of as a representative man. There is truth in the idea. Possessed, as General Lee doubtless was, of high military talents and great moral qualities, he had the good fortune to occupy a position that enabled him to exhibit his talents and his virtues. Among those who followed the fortunes of that great leader were men who, while inferior to him in talents and position, possessed no small share of the courage, patriotism, devotion to duty, and other high moral qualities that have given such lustre to his name.
Our State produced many men of the character just indicated, and if their names are not known beyond the confines of their State, county, or regiment, they are nevertheless embalmed iii the hearts of comrades and friends. Of these heroes no better representative is known to the writer than he whose name stands at the head of this article. For he was a hero, a man of whom our State may well be proud, a character that can be held up to our young men to admire and imitate.
Lawson Botts was born at Fredericksburg, Virginia, on the 25th day of July, 1825. His father was General Thomas H. Botts, and his mother Ann Willis, a daughter of Colonel Byrd Willis, of Orange County. His grandfather was Benjamin Botts, a distinguished member of the bar, who lost his life in the burning of the Richmond theatre, in 1811, at which time his wife, the grandmother of the subject of this sketch, perished with her husband. It is said that Mr. Benjamin Botts succeeded in making his escape from the burning building, but, finding that his wife was not with him, returned, and became the victim of the flames.
Lawson Botts entered the Virginia Military Institute as a cadet in the year 1841, at about the age of sixteen years, where he remained two years. He was compelled to return home before graduating, because of his father's ill health and loss of sight. He subsequently studied law in his father's office, and after he obtained his license, his father's affairs having been arranged so that he could leave home, he settled in Clarksburg, Harrison County, where he remained about one year. About the year 1846, he removed from Clarksburg to Charlestown, Jefferson County, where he continued to reside until the war. In 1851 he was married to Miss Ranson, daughter of James L. Ranson, Esq., of Jefferson County. When John Brown was tried for treason, Lawson Botts was appointed by the court to defend him; and it is worthy of notice that his grandfather, Benjamin Botts, defended Aaron Burr from a similar charge.
After the John Brown raid, a volunteer company, known as the "Botts Grays," was organized in Charlestown. Of this company he was elected captain, and at the commencement of the war the "Botts Grays" promptly entered the service of Virginia as Co. " G," of the 2d Virginia Infantry, commanded by Colonel James W. Allen. The regiment had been organized in Jefferson County, about one year before the war, and when put on a war-footing was strengthened by companies from Clarke, Frederick, and Berkeley Counties. It was the regiment that marched on Harper's Ferry, April 17, 1861, and after driving out the small body of Federal troops stationed there, occupied that town.
At the organization of the force at Harper's Ferry by Colonel T. J. Jackson,afterwards known as General Stonewall Jackson,Captain Botts was commissioned by Governor John Letcher as major of his regiment, 2d Virginia Infantry. This regiment, with the 4th, 5th, 27th, and 33d Virginia Infantry, composed the first Virginia brigade of infantry,afterwards known as the "Stonewall Brigade," in honor of its first brigadier, and which served under that great captain until his death.
At the first battle of Manassas, Major Botts distinguished himself for coolness and gallantry, and was soon after made lieutenant-colonel of his regiment, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Colonel Frank Lackland. He also greatly distinguished himself at the battle of Kernestown, March 23, 1862; was with his regiment at the battles of Winchester, May 25, 1862, Port Republic, June, 1862, and in the seven days' battles around Richmond, in one of which, that of Gaines's Mill, Colonel Allen and Major Francis B. Jones, of the 2d Virginia Infantry, were killed, leaving Colonel Botts the sole surviving field-officer of his regiment. In all of these battles Colonel Botts more than sustained the reputation gained at Manassas. He was commissioned colonel of his regiment soon after the death of Colonel Allen, and, although of delicate frame and feeble health, he was present in every battle in which his regiment was engaged that summer, until, on the 28th of August, 1862, he received his death-wound at the second battle of Manassas, while leading his regiment into the hottest of the fight He was shot from his horse by a musket-ball, which entered his cheek and came out behind his ear. He survived this wound upwards of two weeks, and died at the house of a friend, Rev. James Haynes, near Middleburg, Loudon County, on Wednesday the 16th of September, 1862, in the thirty-eighth year of his age, from secondary hemorrhage.
He died as he had lived, a Christian gentleman and soldier. His wife still survives him. At his death he had four sons. One has gone to join his father; three are now living,Thomas H., James Ranson, and Robert. May they prove worthy sons of their honored father!
When Colonel Botts settled in Charlestown, he was poor and unknown; when he died, few, if any in his county, exerted a more solid influence, or had a larger circle of friends and admirers. This influence he carried with him into the army, and if his life had been spared until the close of the war, it is not hazarding much to say that his military and personal reputation would have been as extensive as the Confederacy. His intellectual endowments, while of an order that would have given him high rank in his profession if his life had been spared, were not, in the opinion of the writer, the true source of his influence. Although his intelligence and cultivation were important elements in the combination of qualities that adorned his character, love of truth, devotion to duty, courage to defend the one and perform the other, were the true elements of his power. His love of truth in the largest sense of the term was remarkable. To know the truth on all subjects that he was called to act upon, was the master-feeling of his nature. To ascertain the truth was by him considered a duty, and from the performance of duty he never shrank, no matter where placed, whether in public or private life, at the bar or on the battle-field. This fidelity to truth and duty ran through his whole conduct, and illustrated everything he did. Hence, as a citizen, he was public-spirited and anxious to promote the good of his country; as a lawyer, faithful to every trust, giving all of his energies and abilities to the interests committed to his care; as a Christian, earnest and active; as a military man, submissive to authority, quiet in conception, active, bold, courageous. He did not belong to the extreme class of Southern men. A devoted friend of the Union and the Constitution,he was opposed to the separation of Virginia from the Union until after the failure of the efforts of Virginia to effect through her peace commissioners a settlement of the pending difficulties. When the State seceded, he determined, from a sense of duty, to follow her fortunes, which he did until his end. It was his devotion to duty that led to his death. At the time of receiving the fatal shot his health was very feeble. Most men in his condition, with his distinguished reputation as an officer, would have acted on the advice of his surgeon, and have sought rest and quiet long enough to recruit his exhausted nature. Not so with the subject of this notice. He deemed it his duty, as long as he had strength enough to keep his saddle, to remain with his regiment and share the privations, sufferings, and dangers of his men. The wound that he received would not, it is thought, have resulted in his death, but for the state of his health at the time it was received.
The late war has deprived Virginia of many a noble son. Her soil contains many a hero's dust, yet nowhere within her limits rest the remains of a truer, braver, nobler man, than was Colonel Lawson Botts! Colonel R. H. Lee.
[Source: "Biographical sketches of the Graduates and Eleves of the Virginia Military Institute who fell during the war between the States", by Chas. D. Walker. Pub. 1875. LR - Sub by FoFG]

Chew, Col. R. P.
Col. R. P. Chew, of Charlestown, district delegate, was born April 8, 1843. He attended the Virginia Military Institute, and at which institution he graduated. AT the breaking out of the war he raised Chew's Battery, and served with distinction with Ashby's Cavalry during a part of the war. He was subsequently Chief of the Horse Artillery, A. W. Va. Since the war Col. Chew has been successfully engaged in agricultural and manufacturing pursuits. Recently he served two terms in the West Virginia Legislature, and was one of the leaders on the Democratic side during each session. Col. Chew has been mentioned prominently as a candidate for Governor. He is an alternate delegate to the National Convention from the Second district.
[Source: "Wheeling Register" (Wheeling WV) Saturday June 21, 1888; Transcribed by: Richard Ramos]

Clements, William M.
Wm. M Clements, of Charlestown, Jefferson county, General manager of the B. & O, who was selected as delegate at large from the Second district, is too well known to at this time receive any public notice. The Register, when the gentleman connected himself the second time with the B & O, published a very satisfactory sketch of his life.
[Source: Wheeling Register (Wheeling WV) Saturday June 21, 1888; transcribed by: Richard Ramos]

Craighill, Edward A. M. D.
Was born at Charlestown, Jefferson county, (now) West Virginia, on November 2, 1840. His father was William Nathaniel Craighill, born January 26, 1808, died September 6, 1887; his mother, Sally Brown, born August 16, 1811, died September 28, 1887; both born in Jefferson county. Dr. Craighill's ancestors came to Virginia from Scotland and Ireland, in the 17th and 18th centuries. Robert Rutherford, who served Virginia in the Continental and later the United States Congress, was his great grandfather. The wife of Dr. Craighill, is Mattie, daughter of Joseph V. and Mary E. (Bullock) Holmon, formerly of Powhatan county, Virginia, now of Richmond. Her father, who is a physician, was born in Powhatan county November 11, 1811; her mother was born May 10, 1817. She was born in Powhatan county, April 27. 1855, and became the wife of Dr. Craighill at Richmond, Rev. James B. Craighill uniting them, on April 14, 1874.
Dr. Craighill entered the Confederate States Army at the outbreak of the war, in the 2nd Virginia Infantry, Jackson's (Stonewall) Brigade. He was with this regiment in the Held until, October 18, 1861, he was commissioned assistant surgeon. From that time till the close of the war he devoted his life and service to the care of the wounded and disabled Southern soldiers, serving at Manassas, Gordonsville, Lynchburg, and in the field. After some years practice of his profession, he with J. W. Faulkner established the well-known firm of Faulkner & Craighill. druggists, and is now sole proprietor. Dr. Craighill is also identified with many of the public interests of Lynchburg: Director of the First National bank; director of the Virginian Publishing Company: member of the executive committee of the Lynchburg Industrial Society; (resident of the Virginia Pharmaceutical Society.
[Source: "Virginia and Virginians: History of ..."Volume 2; by Robert Alonzo Brock, Virgil Anson Lewis; publ. 1888; transcribed by Andrea Pack]

Crowell, George A.
George A. Crowell, retired business man and prominent citizen of Peru (Indiana), is a native of Jefferson County, Virginia, born there June 25, 1820, the son of Samuel and Mary (Link) Crowell, natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia, respectively, and of English-Scotch and Irish-German ancestry. His early school experience embraced the studies appertaining to the educational course presented by the usages of those days in Sandusky County, Ohio, to which he moved with his parents when but seven years of age. He was raised to agricultural pursuits and remained with his parents on the farm until after attaining his majority, when he began life for himself as clerk in a mercantile house in the town of Fremont, Ohio. He continued in the capacity of salesman at the above place until 1843 and in 1845 came to Peru, Indiana, to take charge of a stock of goods for Sanford E. Main, in whose employ he remained for a period of about one and a half years. From the time of severing his connection with Mr. Main, up to 1850, he clerked for different parties, but in the latter year effected a co-partnership in the general mercantile business with William Smith, which lasted until 1855. He purchased his partner's stock that year and conducted a successful business until 1876, at which date he retired from active life, having by diligent and judicious management accumulated a handsome competence in the meantime. In addition to his large business interests, Mr. Crowell always took an active part in all the enterprises for the city's welfare and was several times elected its treasurer, the duties of which position he discharged in an eminently satisfactory manner. He was largely instrumental in inaugurating the street improvements of Peru, in which he encountered much opposition, and also brought the first plate glass store front to the city, besides introducing a number of other modern improvements. He took an active interest in the internal improvement of the country, and to him, more than to any other man, is due the credit of securing and building up of the present efficient turnpike system of Miami County. At this time he is Superintendent of the following roads, to-wit: Peru and Mexico, Peru and Santa Fe, and Peru and Mississinewa Turnpikes, and their present superior condition is largely owing to his careful and judicious management. In the year 1869 he was appointed special Indian agent for the Miamis of Indiana and the Eel River bands of Miamis, and discharged the duties of the same until 1876. Mr. Crowell was married in May 1851, to Mary A. Steele, daughter of Joseph S. Steele, one of the pioneers of Miami County. Mrs. Crowell was born in the State of Ohio, and is still living. Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Crowell, but one, Alice O., is living at this time. The following are names of the children, deceased, to-wit: Mary C., George G. and Byron F.
Throughout a long and active life, during which he passed through many vicissitudes, Mr. Crowell's ruling elements have been industry and honesty, qualities which have made themselves apparent to all with whom he has been associated in a business capacity or otherwise. And now in the sixty-seventh year of his age, he is still an energetic, wide awake citizen, in possession of all his faculties and enjoying the full confidence and respect of all his friends and acquaintances. His portrait will be found elsewhere in this volume.
["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Submitted by Barb Z.]

Ferrell, Elizabeth
was born in Pa., in Jan. 1783, and died in Wellington, Mo., 17 July 1857, aged 74y 6 mos. When she was quite young, her parents moved to Virginia and settled at Harper's Ferry. She had a large family of children. Active in Methodist Church, Baltimore Conf. in 1843. Followed some of her children to Mo. By W. M. Leftwich from Wellington, Mo. [Source: "Missouri Pioneers County & Genealogical Records," vol. XVIII by Nadine Hodges and Mrs. Howard Woodruff; March 1973; tr. by GT Transcription Team]

Green, Judge Thomas C.
Judge John W. Green, father of the subject of this brief memoir, entered upon his duties of Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia, October 11, 1822, when his son Thomas was two years of age, who was born at Fredericksburg, November 5, 1820. Shortly, thereafter, the family moved to Culpeper County, where the son grew to manhood and was carefully and thoroughly educated. He read law under the direction of his father, and in 1843 was admitted to the Virginia Bar, and located in Charlestown in Jefferson County, where he remained the greater part of his life. In 1861 he joined the Confederate army as a private soldier, serving two years in General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson's brigade. He was then appointed Chief Collector of Virginia War Taxes, remaining in that position until the end of the war. At the close of hostilities he returned to Charlestown and entered, with great earnestness, upon the practice of his profession, in which he took a leading position. While in the Confederate army he served two terms in the Virginia Legislature. In 1876 he was appointed by Governor John J. Jacob a Justice on the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia to fill the unexpired term of Judge James Paull, deceased, and in 1880 he was elected for the full term of twelve years as a member of that tribunal. He departed this life December 4, 1889, after having served most ably for fourteen years.
Judge Green was universally regarded as one of the most erudite, broadminded lawyers and jurists of his generation. No judge on any bench ever gave to the important questions submitted to him more complete and exhaustive research and consideration. He traced the law, step by step, through the various windings, down to the date of his opinions, considering and referring to the numerous authorities, English and American, pro and con, bearing thereon. His opinions are in volumes 9 to 33, inclusive, of the West Virginia Reports. The writer never heard but one criticism made on Judge Green's work as a judge, and that was his opinions were too lengthy and too exhaustive. He seemingly could not stop without minutely considering every point in the case. Two cases deserve special attention, Radford v. Carwile, 13 W. Va. 572, on the rights of married women under West Virginia statutes, and Pegram v. Stortz, 31 W. Va. 222, on the question of damages. This is the longest opinion he ever wrote and covers 107 printed pages, and is quoted almost entire in the American and English Encyclopedia of Law. His opinions are widely quoted in the text books and reports of other States.
In the discharge of his official duties his industry was patient and indefatigable. He loved pure mathematics, which is plainly displayed in all his processes of reasoning. He knew nothing of the parties to any controversy that came before him for decision. Plaintiffs and defendants were to him as impersonal as the letters of an equation, and he applied himself to the solutions of the questions presented as if he were searching for an unknown quantity. Truth was ever the object of his search, and he followed it with an unerring judgment. When engaged in the investigation of a judicial question, he would become so completely absorbed in the train of his thoughts as to cause him to forget the demands of physical comforts and bodily health, and this, no doubt, shortened his days.
Judge Green could always be relied on with absolute confidence in those exigencies which require firmness and ability. No public clamor or fear of personal popularity could influence his conduct. Undemonstrative and apparently indifferent for the regard of others, he was nevertheless kind hearted and fond of conversation and the society of his friends. His nature was simplicity itself; confiding and loyal in his friendships, but firm and uncompromising in his convictions and duties.
Judge Green married Miss Agnes McDonald, n daughter of Colonel Angus McDonald, of Charlestown, shortly before the beginning of the war between the States, where he subsequently spent the greater portion of his life. They were both held in the highest esteem by the residents of that charming section of the "Mountain State."
Judge Green was a Democrat in his political affiliations, but was so constantly absorbed in the business of his profession that he took only a passing interest in the political affairs of the State and Nation.
["Bench and Bar of West Virginia" by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Lucas, Judge Daniel B., LL.D.
Judge Lucas was one of the most distinguished lawyers, jurists and literateures that this State has produced. He was born in Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, March 16, 1836, and was known as "the poet of the Shenandoah Valley." He came of distinguished ancestry, who for generations have been prominent in the wars and the public affairs of Virginia, even prior to the Revolution. He possessed a poetic temperament, and was an orator of power and force. He was a graduate of the University of Virginia, and was the valedictorian of his class. After his graduation he entered the law school of Judge Brockenbrough at Lexington, Virginia, and graduated therefrom in the class of 1859. Early in 1860 he removed to Richmond, and at the opening of the Civil War cast his fortunes with the South, and became a member of the staff of General Henry A. Wise. He had many experiences and narrow escapes, but emerged from the conflict unscathed and unharmed. During that period he wrote several poems that rendered him famous, one of which was'' The land where we were Dreaming," also "The Wealth of Eglantine," "The Maid of Northumberland." A volume of poems, "Ballads and Madrigals," etc.
He returned to his home in Charlestown, and in 1870 formed a partnership with Thomas C. Green, who subsequently became one of the ablest lawyers and most distinguished jurists of the Commonwealth, and by his ability, training and skill young Lucas took high rank in the profession. He had a large practice in the State and Federal Courts, and especially in the Supreme Court of the State, many of his cases being of great importance, which he managed with signal success. While devoting himself assiduously to his profession and many spare hours to poetic compositions, he yet found time to deliver numerous platform lectures on literary subjects. Among his most notable lectures were those on Daniel O'Connel, John Brown, John Randolph and Henry Clay.
He always took a high position on, and maintained a strong adherence to, the Democracy of the fathers of that party, against the alleged departure from the faith and doctrines of Jefferson, Madison and Monroe, and was instrumental in the defeat of the Hon. Johnson N. Camden, the Democratic nominee, for a seat in the United States Senate in 1887, because of that alleged departure. The Legislature failed to elect a Senator, and after its adjournment Governor Wilson appointed Mr. Lucas to that position during the interim. But a special session of the Legislature was held the following April and Judge C. J. Faulkner was elected to the existing vacancy, and thus that controversy was ended.
Mr. Lucas was a Regent of the West Virginia University for eight years and showed an active interest in the educational affairs of the State; and in July, 1876, he was tendered the Deanship of its Law Department, an honor which his large law practice compelled him to decline. For the same reason he declined to accept the position of a Circuit Court Judge which was tendered to him to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Judge John Blair Hoge. He was elected a member of the West Virginia Legislature in 1884, and was re-elected in 1886. His opposition to sumptuary laws and the coeducation of the sexes in the State University were very marked. He also vigorously favored a system of high license and equalization of taxation of all property, whether real or personal, corporate or individual, maintaining that inequality of taxation had been the bane of all Republics. Taking him all in all he proved to be a legislator of great influence and ability.
On the death of Judge Thomas C. Green, a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State, his former law partner, Mr. Lucas was, in 1889, appointed to fill that vacancy, and in 1890 he was elected to fill Judge Green's unexpired term, which he ably did until January 1, 1893. His opinions are marked by careful thought and a full knowledge of, the law, and are expressed in correct language and with the grace that bears the touch and taste of an accomplished scholar. Rarely is there found in the ranks of men one so symmetrical in mind and character, one so sound in judgment, so unerring in moral perception, and so faithful to duty as the subject of this brief memoir. He was by no means a robust man, and yet he was capable of almost unlimited labor and application. He was married in 1869 to Miss Lena Brooks, of Richmond, Virginia. They had an only child a daughter. He departed this life aged above three score and ten.
In 1844 the West Virginia University conferred upon Judge Lucas the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws, which was, in every respect, a well merited compliment and fully deserved. ["Bench and Bar of West Virginia" by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Mc'Guire, Col. Wm.
Died November 24, 1820
Col. Wm. McGuire departed a few weeks since, at Harper's Ferry; at age of 11 years he entered the army of the Revolution; before age 16 he received a wound at the battle of Eutaw Springs, which disabled him for life. After the peace of 1783, he practiced law. He was a native of Virginia; called by the gov't to fill the chief judicial station in the Miss. territory; in the close of life, he was appointed to the office of Paymaster at Harper's Ferry. [National Intelligencer, Feb 13, 1821 - sub. by K.T.]

Washington, John A.
Lieutenant-Colonel, and A. D. C. to General R. E. Lee.
John Augustine Washington was born at "Blakeley," Jefferson County, Virginia, on the 3d of May, 1821. His father, John Augustine Washington, was the son of Corbin Washington, who was the son of John Augustine Washington, the favorite brother of General George Washington. His mother was Miss Jean C. Blackburn, daughter of Major R. S. Blackburn, of the United States Army, and grand-daughter of Colonel Thomas Blackburn, of the Revolution. At the age of seven years, John Augustine was sent by his father to school at Mr. Brent's, in Westmoreland County, Virginia. From thence he went successively to Mr. Waort, to Bristol, near Philadelphia, and to Mr. Benjamin Hallowell, in Alexandria, Virginia. He remained at the latter school till he went to the University of Virginia, in 1838. He attended the lectures at this institution till 1841, gaining honors in several of its schools. Upon leaving the University, Mr. Washington settled at Mount Vernon (the former residence and the burial-place of General Washington), which had been bequeathed to him as the eldest son. In 1843 he married Miss Eleanor Selden, of Loudon County, Virginia.
At Mount Vernon, Mr. Washington led a quiet, farmer's life, dispensing that generous, social, and unbounded hospitality for which Virginians have been so long noted. All who met him were charmed with his pleasing manners, his elegant address, and his brilliant conversation. He was in fact a polished gentleman in the true sense of the term. His was not the polish so frequently seen in men of the world, which covers the outer man with a smiling mask, but serves only to conceal a heart cold, callous, and selfish. His kindliness of disposition prompted him to treat all those with whom he came in contact with the same consideration, always avoiding any act or expression that would tend to wound the feelings of even the humblest.
Mr. Washington had a cultivated taste for literature, and the large library left by General Washington, and added to by Judge Washington and himself, enabled him to indulge his taste to any extent. No branch of literature was neglected, and the treasures with which he stored his memory, were always at his command. This, together with his richness of imagination, made him a brilliant conversationalist, pleasing alike to all. Mount Vernon, containing, as it did, the tomb of Washington, was naturally a place of great interest to all American and European travellers; hence, the mansion was constantly thronged with visitors. Many of these were acquaintances of the family, or bore letters of introduction to Mr. Washington. The cost of entertaining them, and the constant outlay to keep the many buildings of the estate in repair, made the annual expenses far beyond the limits of a private income. These circumstances, and the desire to have the mansion preserved as a spot sacred to the memory of the Father of his Country, induced Mr. Washington to listen favorably to the offer made by the "Mount Vernon Ladies' Association" to purchase the place. Accordingly, in the winter of 1857-58 the arrangements for purchase were concluded, by which he sold to this Association the mansion, together with 200 acres around it, reserving a quarter of an acre upon which the tomb was situated. The price paid was $200,000. Frequent offers had been made to Mr. Washington, by speculators at the North, to purchase the place, but these he invariably refused. Only a month or two before the property was sold to the Ladies' Association, he refused an offer of $300,000 for it.
In 1860, Mr. Washington gave possession of the property to the Ladies' Association, and removed with his family to "Waveland," an estate which he had purchased in Fauquier County, Virginia. There he continued to reside till he entered the Confederate army. When the sectional war broke out, he espoused the cause of the South with his whole heart and soul, and immediately offered his services to the Governor of Virginia, with the intention of serving in the Southern army in any position to which he might be assigned. Shortly after General R. E. Lee was assigned to command, he offered Mr. Washington the position of aide-de-camp on his staff; with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. He accepted the position, and at once joined the army.
As an evidence of the noble and patriotic spirit by which he was actuated, we subjoin extracts of letters, written at this period, to members of his family. From Richmond, May 3d, 1861, he writes to one of his daughters:—
"I cannot tell you, dear J—, what it cost me to leave you all; but I feel, and whatever the issue may be, I am sure you will feel, my dear (laughter, that I am performing a sacred duty. When yet a boy, I learned at my mother's knee that after my duty to God, my first and greatest obligations were to my country ; and I then resolved, and it has been the determination of my life, that when my country was attacked I would go out to defend her. The occasion has arrived to test my principle, and though the sacrifice is like the tearing of the very heartstrings, I should be recreant to my conviction and undeserving my name, were I to shrink from the performance of duty."
From Staunton, July 30th, 1861, he writes:—
"Every man, woman, and child should now do everything, and be willing cheerfully to make any sacrifice that can promote the common and holy cause in which we are engaged; and no effort should be relaxed until those Yankee rogues are driven with ignominy from the sacred soil of Virginia."
Under date of August 27th, 1861, he writes from his camp on "Valley Mount," in Western Virginia:—"If I fall in defence [sic] of all I hold dear, and of those principles that are and ought to be more valuable to me than life, and they can thereby be more thoroughly instilled into Lawrence and George [his two sons] and all of you, then indeed I hold that I shall not have fallen in vain, but that the sacrifice will have been well made; and if my death will engage my children more firmly in the love of truth and of their country, and in inextinguishable hatred and defiance of the lying and hypocrisy and knavery and oppression of the Yankee, then it is well for me to die, and the sooner such great ends are purchased at so cheap a price, the better."
Again he writes, in the spirit of true Christian resignation to the will of God:—
"You must all keep in good heart and cheerful, and not be uneasy at my position. There is One who can and will dispose of me as it is best, and when you remember me before Him, pray that I may never fail to perform my duty."
In the last letter of his which we shall give, there breathes forth the purest spirit of patriotism that can animate the breast of man:—"While I think and hope that we shall be successful, yet, of course, there is no telling who will fall in the efforts we are about making. I am just as likely to be one of them, as any one else; and I can only say that if God so wills it, I hope I am ready to lay down my life and to sacrifice all I have in the just and sacred cause in which I am embarked. I know I am perfectly willing, if need be, to die for this cause, and sooner than see it fail I had rather that myself and children and all I hold, were swept from existence. For myself I have no fear; for should my life be lost, it is only anticipating by a few years what must happen at any rate. The whole matter is in the hands of God, who will do with me as seems best to Him."
Colonel Washington's military career was brief. Hardly had he taken his sword in hand to defend the sacred rights of his country, when he sealed with his blood his devotion to her cause. He was killed on the 13th of September, 1861, while on duty with General Lee in Western Virginia. The full particulars of his death are thus related by General W. H. F. Lee, who was by his side when he fell:—
‘Colonel Washington was with my command on a scout near the enemy in Western Virginia, during the advance of Loring's army from its position on Cheat Mountain. Colonel Washington had long been anxious to accompany me in some of our expeditions. On this occasion he brought me orders from headquarters, and his face beamed with delight as he told me that he was to accompany us. Our road, on this occasion, was an exceedingly rough one, even for that mountainous and rugged country. We had to lead our horses up and down the mountains. Notwithstanding the difficulties of the march, Colonel Washington seemed to enjoy it, and frequently expressed himself as delighted. It was with difficulty that I could restrain him. In one skirmish with the enemy's cavalry he charged with the leading files.
"We had come within sight of the enemy's camp, and I gave the order to return. ‘Oh no,’ said Washington, 'let us ride down and capture that fellow on the gray horse.' After some hesitation I assented, and leaving our main force, we took only two men and proceeded to capture the fellow on the gray horse. Our road lay through a narrow defile in the mountain, some half mile in length, at the end of which the fellow on the gray horse was awaiting very quietly our approach. We had hardly proceeded three hundred yards, when fire was opened on us from an ambuscade in the side of the mountain. At the first volley Colonel Washington fell from his horse, pierced with balls; myself and escort wheeled and spurred back, running the gauntlet from their musketry. If I recollect aright, there was a battalion of infantry in ambuscade, and this fellow on the gray horse was placed in position to entice us into the little trap which they had set for us. How we escaped, is one of the many mysteries of the war. My horse was shot in three or four places, the other two killed. Colonel Washington's horse came out with us, bringing his sword, which was tied to the saddle. His body was sent to General Lee on the following day, under a flag of truce, and sent by General Lee to his family."
Thus fell Colonel John Augustine Washington, an early victim in that deadly struggle in which so many noble lives were lost. It is not groundless conjecture, when we say that, if he had lived, he would have earned and honored the highest rank in the gift of his country. His courage, his knowledge of men, his resolution, his inflexibility of purpose, and the lofty ambition with which he was inspired, all these were of too high a type for him to have come through such a war, without enrolling his name among the noblest which its annals contain.  In private life he shone with all the virtues which should characterise [sic] the husband, father, son, and brother. In his friendship he never faltered, and his noble, generous heart prompted him to seek out and aid the distressed. To a stranger this language may seem mere panegyric; by those who knew him, it will be thought to fall far short of describing the actual virtues of the man. [Source: The University Memorial Biographical Sketches of Alumni of the University of Virginia Who Fell in the Confederate War, by Rev. John Lipscomb Johnson (1871) transcribed by Sandra Stutzman.]

Copyright Genealogy Trails