George Wesley ATKINSON
Atkinson, George Wesley, a Representative from West Virginia; born in Charleston, Kanawha county, Va., June 29, 1845; attended the public schools, and was graduated from the Ohio Wesleyan university in 1870; studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1875; moved to Wheeling, W. Va., in 1877; served four years as United States marshal for the district of West Virginia; postmaster of Charleston, W. Va., Six years; served four years as revenue agent of the Treasury Department; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-first Congress (March 4, 1889-March 3, 1891); served as governor of West Virginia 1897-1901; United States district attorney 1901-1905; appointed judge of the Court of Claims in Washington, D. C, April 15, 1905.
[A Biographical Congressional Directory of the 1st 1774 to the 62nd 1911 Congress; By United States Congress; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Samuel Brashear AVIS
AVIS, Samuel Brashear, a Representative from West Virginia; born in Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Va., February 19, 1872; attended the public schools and Staunton (Va.) Military Academy; was graduated from the law department of Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.; was admitted to the bar in 1893 and commenced practice in Charleston, W.Va.; commissioned senior captain of Company A, Second West Virginia Volunteer Infantry, during the Spanish-American War in 1898; served until 1899, when he was honorably discharged; prosecuting attorney of Kanawha County, W.Va., from January 1, 1900, to December 31, 1912; assistant United States attorney for the southern district of West Virginia from August 22 to November 15, 1904; elected as a Republican to the Sixty-third Congress (March 4, 1913-March 3, 1915); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1914 to the Sixty-fourth Congress; resumed the practice of law; was killed by lightning in Charleston, W.Va., June 8, 1924; interment in Spring Hill Cemetery, Spring Hill, W.Va. [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present - Submitted by Anna Newell]
Judge James Henry BROWN
One of the distinguished lawyers, statesmen and jurists of Virginia, before the State was divided, is the subject of this brief biographical sketch. He is of English ancestry, and was the son of Benjamin Brown, a native of Virginia; was born in Cabell County, Virginia, December 20, 1818. His mother was a native of North Carolina, and was the daughter of Major Nathaniel Scales. He was educated at Marietta College, Ohio, and Augusta College, Kentucky, and from the latter well known institution he graduated in the class of 1840. In person he was tall (a little more than six feet) and was always, even in later life, as erect as an Indian. He was also sinewy and active. Up almost to the period of his last illness his step was as elastic as a man of forty, or even less.
He read law under the direction of John Laidley, a prominent attorney of Cabell County, and in 1842, after two years of careful study of legal text books, he was admitted to membership of the Cabell County Bar, and promptly began the practice of his chosen profession. He was a natural orator, and it was not long until he took a leading rank as a superior advocate, and a forceful and effective trial lawyer. Desirous of a wider field of operations and better opportunities for development of his talents, he located at Charleston, Kanawha County, in 1848, where he spent the major portion of his life in the ardent practice of his profession. He was always regarded as a man of the highest sense of honor and probity; was thoroughly reliable in all his statements and dealings; was a hard student, and was a careful and honorable counselor. It is no wonder, therefore, that his clientele soon grew to large proportions. His practice was in both State and National courts, and covered all the branches of the law, and extended into all of the surrounding counties. He was universally regarded as an all around, able and successful lawyer.
Judge Brown, though a Democrat, took an active stand for the Union in 1860 and '61, and was one of the leaders in the formation of the new Commonwealth of West Virginia; was a member of all the conventions looking to the building of the State; was elected a member of the Legislature of the Restored Government of Virginia, May 23, 1861, from Kanawha County, amid the turmoil of a divided county, and addressed many meetings when his hearers were armed for personal protection. He was an eloquent stump speaker and a fearless defender of his political faith. He became an ardent Republican and was a member of the Convention that framed the first Constitution of the State of West Virginia. In the winter of 1861 and '62 he was elected and commissioned Judge of the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit of Virginia. While acting in this capacity the records of his courts in several of the counties of his circuit, as fast as they were made, were captured and destroyed, and on several occasions he narrowly escaped the repeated efforts that were made to capture the Court. It is claimed, and we believe correctly, that no appeal from any of his decisions was ever taken to a higher court. As a judge he was courteous, firm and fearless.
May 28, 1863, he was elected an Associate Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the new State of West Virginia. On this court he exhibited the same firm and wise qualities as revealed by him on the bench of the nisi prius court. He served with great acceptability until the close of his term. He was by nature and education fitted for the law. He carried to a high degree the power of convincing statement. His opinions are models of good English. His supreme desire was to be just, and nothing could swerve him from doing right, as he was able to see the right. When he retired from the bench he returned to active practice, and kept it up until a short time before his death, which occurred at his home in Charleston, October 28, 1900.
Judge Brown was twice a candidate for Congress, but his Congressional District, being strongly Democratic at that time, he was both times defeated, but he ran ahead of his ticket on both occasions. In 1882 he was elected a member of the Legislature of West Virginia, and took an active part in shaping the legislation of that session.
In 1844 he married Miss Louise Beuhring and reared a large family. One of his sons — James F. Brown — is one of the ablest lawyers of the entire State. Judge Brown was an ardent member of the Presbyterian Church, and for about half a century was a ruling elder of that denomination. However, in matters of religion, he favored the largest liberty of conscience. He at all times had the implicit confidence of all people who knew him, and he was for a-half century one of the best known men of the Great Kanawha Valley.
Judge Brown late in life, and many years after the death of his first wife, married the widow of the late Fayette A. Lovell, who was in life a member of the Kanawha County Bar, and she survived him several years. They had no effspring. She too passed into the "Great Beyond " a few years subsequent to his demise.
[Source: "Bench and Bar of West Virginia" by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 -TK- Transcribed by FoFG]
William G. CONLEY
Conley, William G., attorney-general of West Virginia, was born Jan. 8, 1866, in Kingwood, W. Va., of Scotch-Irish parentage. He received a thorough education and graduated from West Virginia University with the degree of LL.B. For many years he was engaged in educational work, and has been county superintendent of the free schools of Preston County, W. Va. He was also mayor of Parsons for one term. He is one of the rising lawyers of his state, and for two terms was states attorney for Tucker County, W. Va. He is also the editor of the Parsons City Advocate, and contributes extensively to current literature. Mr. Conley was a member of the congressional committee of the second West Virginia district; chairman of the republican executive committe of his county; and one of the assistant secretaries of the St. Louis convention that nominated McKinley for president in 1896. Since 1908 he has been attorney-general of West Virginia for term ending in 1913; and resides in Charleston, W. Va.
[Source: "Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life" - TK - Sub by FoFG]
Abbot S. COOKE
Cooke, Abbot S., business president of Pittsburg, Pa., was born July 9, 1859, in Chicago, Ill. In 1881-87 he was cashier of the Springer Mercantile and Banking Company of Springer, N.M.; and in 1888-96 was engaged in the banking and lumber business in Hosington, Kan. In 1896-1905 he was the Eastern representative of the Morgan-Gardner Electric Company; and since 1905 has been president of the Cooke-Wilson Electric Supply Company of Pittsburg, Pa. He is a director of the Union Electric Company; vice-president and director of the Diamond Machine Company; and president of the Cooke and Wilson Company of Charleston, W. Va. He is a member of tho Sons of the American Revolution; a member of the Pittsburg Board of Trade; a member of the Pittsburg Athletic Association; and a member of the Automobile Club of Pittsburg and various other organizations.
["Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life" - TK - Sub by FoFG]
George S. COUCH
George S. Couch, a well-known citizen of Charleston and a prominent member of the Kanawha county bar, was born in this city July 31, 1880, a son of George S. and Laura (McMaster) Couch. He is a descendant of Samuel Couch, born September 16, 1752, probably in Pennsylvania and who at an early day was engaged in tilling land that is now the site of West Philadelphia. This early ancestor of our subject purchased several thousand acres of land in Goochland county, Virginia, where he settled in 1777. At that time he was a large slave holder, but subsequently becoming a Quaker, he liberated all his slaves. He married, in the old Swedish church at Philadelphia, Ann Quig, who was born at Mt. Holly, New Jersey, in October, 1754. They both died in Virginia—possibly in Hanover county at an advanced age. Their children were: Rebecca Webb, who married Anthony Robinson; Daniel, who is next in the present line of descent; and Ann Woolston, who married Christopher Anthony, of Virginia, who was an eminent lawyer. All the members of this family were of the Quaker faith.
Daniel Couch, son of the above mentioned Samuel, and great-grandfather qf the subject of this sketch, was born in Hanover county, Virginia, April 9, 1782. He there married Sarah Richardson, who was born June 21, 1782, died November 16, 1852. After their marriage they came to what is now Mason county, West Virginia, settling on a farm which formed a part of the land granted General Washington for his military services, and lying on the Kanawha river. Here Daniel Couch spent the rest of his life engaged in tilling the soil. He was successful in his avocation and became well known along the Kanawha valley. He died on his plantation, December 5, 1824.
James Henry Couch, son of Daniel and Sarah Couch, and our subject's paternal grandfather, was born in Hanover county, Virginia, on the old homestead known as "French Hay," August 3, 1821. After coming to the Kanawha valley with his father he resided on the farm or plantation in Mason county, becoming a lawyer and a man of great influence in that section. He was a delegate to the secession convention at Richmond in 1861, held to determine the question as to whether or not Virginia should go out of the Union. He was opposed to secession, but seeing the tide setting strongly in that direction, he withdrew before the vote. He died on his estate, "Longmeadow," where he had spent the last thirty or forty years of his life, November 24, 1899. Few citizens of Kanawha county were better known, none more highly esteemed. In politics he was a strong Democrat. He married in Mason county, Helen J. Waggener, who was born July 5, 1825, and who spent her life in that county, passing from life's scenes April 25, 1901. She was a daughter of Colonel Andrew Waggener, who was treacherously killed while riding a horse on the highway, just after the battle of Point Pleasant, in the civil war. Her mother, whose maiden name was Attara Bell, survived her husband some years.
James Henry Couch and wife were the parents of a large family of children, of whom there are six still living, as follows: John, a farmer residing in Mason county, who married a Miss Day, of that county; George S. Sr., father of our subject: Charles B., an attorney of Charleston, who married Rachel Brown, of Lewisburg, West Virginia; Samuel, residing on a farm in Mason county, who married Sallie Miller; Margaret A., wife of Edward M. Craig, a bookkeeper residing in Charleston, and whose children are Edward M. J., and Helen Couch Craig; and Frederick A., a dentist practicing his profession in Raleigh county, West Virginia, who is married and has a family.
George S. Couch Sr. was born on the family estate in Mason county, then Virginia, January 1, 1852. Beginning his education in his native county, he later graduated from the college at Marietta, Ohio. Subsequently taking up his residence in Charleston, he was admitted to the bar and has since earned a reputation as an able lawyer. He first formed a partnership with Charles Hedrick; this firm was later dissolved and he then became the partner with Edward B. Knight, and for some twelve or fifteen years thereafter the firm of Knight & Couch was recognized as the leading law firm of the city. After the death of Mr. Knight, Mr. Couch retired for a time from the practice of his profession, but later formed the firm of Couch, Flournoy & Price, which did a good law business for some years. Mr. Couch then—in 1905—retired permanently from law practice, and is now exclusively interested in his fine stock-farm and plantation that has come down to him from his father. He was the organizer and up to the time of his retirement from business the president of the Kanawha National Bank. He is a Democrat, but has always avoided active participation in politics. His religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian church. George S. Couch Sr. was married in Marietta, Ohio, to Laura McMaster, who was born in New York state, of Scotch ancestry, and daughter of the Rev. James W. and Mary (Baker) McMaster. Her father, who was a prominent Universalist minister, died in the old Couch home in Mason county in 1910, being then eighty-nine years of age. His wife had preceded him to the grave a few years previously. Mrs. Laura Couch received a careful training and was given a good education by her parents. She is a member of the Kanawha Presbyterian church. She and her husband have been the parents of three children, namely: George S. Jr., whose name appears at the head of this sketch; Mary McMaster, who was educated in the Peebles-Thompson school in New York City, is the wife of Dr. H. H. Young, of Charleston, and has two children — Mazie Hopple and William George; and Lucy Richardson, of New York, is the wife of Henry Edmondson Payne, vice-president of the Payne Shoe Company, and has a son, Henry E. Jr.
George S. Couch Jr. was born in Charleston, West Virginia, July 31, 1880, as already noted, and began his literary education in the city schools. He subsequently attended school at Lawrenceville, New Jersey, and after graduating there, entered Princeton University, from which he was graduated in the class of 1903. He then began the study of law at the University of Virginia and after duly qualifying himself, was admitted to the bar in 1905. He is now a member of the firm of Brown, Jackson & Knight, which handles a large amount of important litigation. In this connection Mr. Couch has proved himself to have a firm grasp of his profession, and as he is a young man of energy, ability and ambition, doubtless the future has much in store for him. He is well advanced in Masonry, belonging to the various branches of the order, including Beni-Kedem Temple of the Mystic Shrine. In politics he is a Democrat.
Mr. Couch was married, December 15, 1909, in Charleston, to Miss Keith Fontaine, who was born in this city, March 18, 1884, and was here brought up and educated. Her father was Major Peter Fontaine, who married Mrs. Lydia Laidley, née Whitaker. Both are now deceased. By her first marriage Mrs. Lydia Fontaine had children. Her first husband, Captain Richard Q. Laidley, served bravely in the Confederate army as captain of Kanawha Riflemen, 22d Virginia Regiment. Of the marriage of our subject and wife there are no children.
[West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller, Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Judge Mathew DUNBAR
We very much regret that the immediate relatives of this eminent lawyer and jurist (Judge Dunbar) have, themselves, passed into the great beyond, which places it beyond our power to give the merest outline of his distinguished career. He was born in Monroe County, Virginia, in 1781. It is said he was well educated, and came to Kanawha County, when he was a young man, and read law in the office of James Wilson, who was a prominent member of the Charleston Bar, in the early part of the nineteenth century. He was known as a great student, and was not long in mastering the legal text books upon which he had to be examined. He was admitted to the Charleston Bar in 1818. He was not long, because of his studious habits and close attention to business, in attaining a high rank as a lawyer, among his associates. He is still by the older citizens of Kanawha County, kindly remembered, both as a lawyer and a judge of sterling integrity and honor.
He was elected a member of the Virginia Legislature, first, in 1823, and again in 1829-30. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Kanawha County in 1853, and afterwards served a term as Circuit Judge. To all of these offices he gave his strict attention, and acquitted himself with honor and ability. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and died in 1859.
[Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919-TK - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Judge John W. ENGLISH, B.A.
The Hon. John Warth English, the subject of this brief memoir, was the son of Job English, one of the early salt manufacturers of the Great Kanawha Valley, was born in Jackson County, Virginia, January 31, 1831. When he was four years of age his father moved to Maiden, Kanawha County, where the son attended the common and select schools of that locality until he was sixteen years of age, when he was sent to Illinois College at Jacksonville, Illinois, where he took the complete academic course, graduating with honors when he was twenty years of age with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. When he returned home he assisted his father in his store at the salt furnace for two or three years, while he was reading law under the tutelage of his uncle, John A. Warth, and Judge George W. Summers, of Charleston. After becoming qualified he passed the required examination, and in 1855 he was admitted to the Kanawha County Bar. A short time thereafter he located at Point Pleasant in Mas on County, formed a partnership with Henry J. Fisher, the leading lawyer of that locality, and one of the best known attorneys in that section of the State. The firm of Fisher and English carried on a very large legal business not only in Mason County, but in all of the surrounding counties, until the beginning of the Civil War, when Mr. Fisher went South and remained until the close of hostilities. Mr. English, however, remained at home and carried on an extensive practice in Mason and the adjoining counties, in which he established a reputation as one of the leading lawyers of Western Virginia. In his practice he was honest in his convictions, honest with the courts before whom he appeared, and honest with his adversaries. He was an upright man and was four-square in all of his acts and purposes. Such men are always successful in their undertakings. Such was his character and reputation during the many years he was engaged in active practice.
In 1888 he was nominated by the Democratic party for a seat on the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, and was elected by a large majority over the opposing candidate, and served twelve years with great acceptability to both suitors and attorneys. He was a man of quiet and retiring disposition and was exceedingly modest in his demeanor. He engaged but little in the political controversies of the State, preferring to devote his time and energies to the practice of his profession. His literary education and studious habits fitted him especially for the position of a judge. He was honest, industrious and painstaking in all the cases that came before him during the twelve years he served on the Appellate Court. Through his entire life his reputation for integrity was never questioned.
Judge English was a man of marked personal appearance. He was six feet tall, wore long whiskers, had strong features, a kindly disposition, and would command attention in any audience. His career as a lawyer and judge was a record of manliness, complete in every detail.
May 6, 1862, he was united in marriage with Miss Fannie Lewis, a descendant of General Andrew and Colonel Charles C. Lewis of the Continental Army, who commanded the American troops in the historic battle of Point Pleasant against the Indians in 1774. At this now prosperous town, at the confluence of the Great Kanawha with the Ohio River, Judge English spent the greater portion of his honorable and distinguished career, and where on the 18th of July, 1916, in the quietude of a delightful home, respected by all the people, he disappeared into the "Great Beyond." No cleaner and purer man ever donned the judicial ermine in this or any other State. He was a faithful member of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
[Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Judge James H. FERGUSON
The subject of this brief memoir was born in Montgomery County, Virginia, April 14, 1817; was entirely self-educated, and was self-made. He possessed a massive intellect, and was almost a giant in stature. By application and industry he became one of the great lawyers, jurists and legislators, the State of Virginia ever produced. He showed greatness in everything he undertook. He was learned in the law and towered above most men in knowledge as well as in physical stature. He left his impress upon the times in which he lived, and was recognized by the people who knew him personally as a man who possessed the elements of true greatness. He was regarded, not only as an erudite lawyer; but as a law-maker, in which, he had but few equals, and probably no superiors. He was admitted to the Bar in 1840, and settled in Logan County, now West Virginia, and in a very short period of time, became the leading lawyer of that entire section. In politics he was a Whig. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Logan County, which office he held and ably filled until 1848, when he was elected to the Virginia Legislature from the counties of Logan and Boone, and was re-elected to the same office each year until 1851. In 1850, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention of Virginia of 1850 and 51, while he was a member of the Legislature of the State, and was one of the leaders of both bodies. He was formidable in all of the debates on all of the important questions that arose. He opposed everything that pointed toward dissolution of the Union, and opposed the pernicious doctrine of secession from the commencement to the close of the Civil War.
In 1864, he became a citizen of Cabell County, and in the Fall of that year he was elected a member of the Legislature of the new State of West Virginia, and was re-elected to the same position every year to and including 1871. In all of these bodies he was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and was the controlling factor in practically all of the legislation that was enacted at those several sessions. In 1868 he was chairman of the Joint Commission on the revision of the West Virginia Code. He did most of the work, and by direction of the Legislature prepared and indexed the Code of 1868 for publication. During the autumn of that year, he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court of Cabell, Boone, Logan, Wayne and Lincoln Counties; and after about two years of pronouncedly able service on the Bench, he resigned, opened a law office in Charleston, and became chief counsel for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, where he remained until his death. He was elected to the Legislature from Kanawha County in 1876. He was able in all branches of the law, but was perhaps strongest in land litigation. There were but few equals to him in all branches of the law pertaining to the adjustment of controverted land titles. Ho was also a specialist in corporation controversies. As a matter of fact, he was an all-around lawyer: and as a law maker, he had no superior in West Virginia.
He was twice married, and was a devout member of the Baptist Church. He died at his residence in Charleston at the advanced age of 86 years.
At the close of the Civil War, Judge Ferguson identified himself with the Democratic Party, but never was a pronounced partisan. ["Bench and Bar of West Virginia" edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 – TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
James H. FERGUSON
James H. Ferguson was born April 14, 1817, in Montgomery county, Virginia. In 1835 he removed to Barboursville, Cabell county, where he studied law and was admitted to the Bar in 1840. In 1845 he removed to the county of Logan, and was elected Prosecuting Attorney of that county, which office he filled until the year 1848, when he was elected a member of the House of Delegates of Virginia from the counties of Logan and Boone. He was re-elected to the same office in each year until 1851, when a new Constitution of the State was adopted. In 1850, while a member of the House of Delegates, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1850-'51, from the District composed of the counties of Mason, Putnam, Cabell, Wayne, Boone, Wyoming and Logan, and was consequently a member of both bodies at the same time. On his first appearance in the Legislature, he was made a member of the Judiciary Committee—the most important committee of the body—and at each session thereafter, until the close of his service, he was chairman of that committee. During his service as a member of that Legislature, the country was in a state of great excitement over the question of slavery, and especially over the celebrated "Willmot Proviso," which had been offered to a bill in the Congress of the United States to prohibit slavery in any territory acquired from Mexico by a treaty of peace with that country. A protracted discussion was had in the Legislature over this proviso, in which he participated, taking the Southern view of the question. But his remedy for all such legislation by Congress was nullification, and not secession. He always opposed a dissolution of the Union, and long before the commencement of the late civil war, he gave up the doctrine of nullification, rightfully concluding that a State could not be practically both in and out of the Union at the same time. He supported the great compromise of 1850, of the slavery question in its relation to the territories of the United States, brought forward by Mr. Clay, of Kentucky, and adopted by Congress. Entertaining these views, he regarded it as his duty to support the Government in all its measures to defend, protect and perpetuate the Union of the States, against the misguided efforts of those who sought to destroy it, and he did so from the commencement to the end of the war.
In 1864 he settled again in the county of Cabell, and in the fall of that year was elected to the House of Delegates of West Virginia and served, by re-elections, through the sessions of 1867, 1868, (and extra session), and 1871. At all these sessions, except that of 1865, he was chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and at the sessions of 1868 he was chairman of the Joint Committee on the revision of the code of West Virginia, made by the revisora, which committee was charged with the duty of amending that revision and reporting it to the Legislature for action; and by appointment of the Legislature he prepared and indexed that Code (the Code of 1868) for publication. At the session of 1865 he introduced a bill abolishing slavery in West Virginia, and succeeded, after much opposition in securing its passage, after much opposition, in advance of the adoption, by any other State, of the amendment to the Constitution of the United States for that purpose.
In 1868 he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court for the Judicial district composed of the counties of Logan, Boone, Lincoln, Wayne and Cabell, for the term of six years, but resigned after a service of one year and seven months, and returned to his practice at the Bar, in which he is now actively engaged, principally as attorney for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company in West Virginia.
In 1875 he removed to the county of Kanawha, where he now resides. In 1876, he was, together with E. W. Wilson, now Governor of the State, and William A. Quarrier, elected to the West Virginia House of Delegates from Kanawha county; and in 1880 he was again elected, together with the same gentlemen, to the same office. At the time of their first election, the permanent location of the seat of Government for the State was the main question in which the county of Kanawha was interested, and they were elected with special reference to that matter. At the request of his distinguished colleagues, he took charge of the contest in reference to that question on behalf of the city of Charleston, prepared all the bills offered on the subject, including that which finally passed the Legislature, and which resulted in making Charleston the permanent seat of Government of the State.
Judge Ferguson's wife was formerly Miss Lizzie A. Creel, daughter of George A. and Prudence S. (nee Spencer) Cook, of Wood county, Virginia. Their home, appropriately called "Grand View," is situated on the crest of the hill south of the Kanawha river which flows at its base, and seems almost to hover over the city of Charleston beneath. From it, the eye looks out upon the magnificent panorama of hills and vales extending away for miles in the distance, as well as upon the limpid stream which pursues its sinuous way along the beautiful valley of the Kanawha. Their property includes the historic "Hale's Branch," where, a century ago, young Hale, on a trip to that spring for it pail of water for the use of his affianced wife, lying sick in the fort on the opposite side of the river, in compliance with a wish expressed by her, was shot and killed by an Indian, from the hill beyond. And now, although a hundred years have flown since the life-blood of this heroic youth crimsoned its waters, the spring, the scene of the tragedy, still flows gently on, reminding us of those beautiful lines:
Judge Ferguson, by common consent, is regarded the ablest legislator ever born in Virginia west of the Blue Ridge. His handiwork is seen in almost every line of the legislation of our State. He is also eminent as a lawyer. But few men in both Virginias can be justly ranked as his equal in that learned profession. Although above the allotted "three-score years and ten," he is in good health, and is actively engaged in the practice of his profession.
"Men may come, and men may go, But I flow on forever." [Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, the Growth and Advancement of the State, a Compendium of Returns of Every State Officer by George Wesley Atkinson and Alvaro Franklin Gibbens, 1890 – TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Birkett D. FRY
First Lieutenant Birkett Davenport FRY, of Kanawha County, Virginia. He was matriculated in 1840. After one or more years, he resigned to enter West Point. His father was Thornton Fry, grandson of Colonel Joshua Fry, who figured in colonial history. He was educated at Washington College, the Virginia Military Institute, and the United States Military Academy. He did not graduate, however, at the last-named institution, leaving there to study law. He was admitted to the bar in 1846.
On February 24, 1847, he was appointed first lieutenant, Infantry. On April 9, 1847, he was transferred to the United States Voltigeurs as first lieutenant, of which Joseph E. Johnston was lieutenant-colonel. He was regimental adjutant from June 15th to August 26, 1847 (at Contreras and Cherubusco), and led a company at Molino del Rey and Chapultepec, where he was mentioned as distinguished. After the War, he went across the plains to California, where he remained till 1856. Going then to Nicaragua, he joined Walker’s Expedition as colonel and general, He commanded Granada, and defeated the Army of Guatemala. After the failure of that expedition, he returned to San Francisco, and remained there till 1859, when he went to Alabama and engaged in cotton manufacturing till the opening of the Civil War.
On July 10, 1861, he was commissioned colonel of the Thirteenth Alabama Infantry. At the battle of Seven Pines he was wounded. After an absence of six weeks only, he returned to his regiment, and remained with it till his arm was shattered at Sharpsburg. The surgeon decided to amputate the arm. “What are the chances of my living without an operation?” he inquired. “One in three hundred,” was the answer. “Then I will take it,” he replied. He rejoined his command in time for Chancellorsville, where he led his brigade (Archer’s) on the second day. Here he was again wounded, but did not leave his regiment, commanding it (or the brigade) till the battle of Gettysburg. After the capture of General Archer, on the first day at Gettysburg, he took command of the brigade, and led it in the second famous assault. On July 3d, his brigade was on the right of the division under Pettigrew, and was the brigade of direction for the whole force, being immediately on the left of Pickett’s Division; he led it gallantly up Cemetery Ridge, under a fire which melted away his life, until he reached the stone wall, where he fell, shot through the shoulder and the thigh, and again became a prisoner of war.
By a special exchange, he returned to the Army of Northern Virginia, in March, 1864, and was ordered to take command of Barton’s Brigade, at Drewry’s Bluff, and led it in the battle on which Beauregard drove back Butler’s Army. He was then placed in command of Archer’s and Walker’s Brigades; and this force, with some other troops, he led in the second battle of Cold Harbor, holding the left of the Confederate lines. On May 24, 1864, he had been promoted brigadier-general, and in a few days after the battle of Cold Harbor, he was ordered to Augusta, Georgia, to command the District of South Carolina and Georgia. This command he held till the close of the war.
After the war, he went to Cuba, but in 1868 returned to Alabama and resumed his old business of cotton manufacturing, in which he continued till 1876, when he removed to Florida. After a while, he returned to Alabama, and resided in Montgomery where his wife died. This estimable lady was formerly Martha A. Micou, born in Augusta, Georgia. In 1861 General Fry went to Richmond, Virginia, and engaged in cotton manufacturing, and was president of the Marshall Manufacturing Company of that City until his death, February 5, 1891.
[Source: "The Military History of the Virginia Military Institute from 1839-1861", by: Jennings C. Wise, Publ: 1915. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Dr. Charles HANSFORD
was one of the first County Commissioners, and the earliest physician in Knox County, having settled here in 1829. He was born in Kanawha County, Virginia, in 1801. He came to Galena at an early date, and from there to Henderson Grove and thence, in 1833, to Knoxville, where he died in 1852. His wife, Eliza, and one child, Ellen, survived him. He had a very large practice, employing, it is said, three teams and two drivers, and riding incessantly day and night, for weeks at a time. He represented his district in the Legislature during one session, and was one of the most popular men In the county. His life and work are worthy of more extended mention, but unfortunately, his history is now lost. [Source: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois", Knox County, Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1899 - tr. by K.T.]
John H. HELM
John H. Helm, MD, of Peru, is one of the ablest physicians in Northern Indiana. His early life was not like that of many here chronicled—a struggle with poverty—but was characterized by the possession of ample means, and for some years by travel and adventure. Having previously acquired a literary and professional education, he was able to improve his opportunities for travel by intelligent observation. Both physical and mental, he bears evidence of descent from superior stock. His paternal grandfather was a well educated German, who having settled in America, helped in the Revolutionary war to defend the land of his adoption. His father, Dr. John C. Helm, an early settler of Miami County, and one of its most wealthy and influential citizens, was a man of vigorous intellect and iron will, and his mother, Amy (Hampton) Helm, was the daughter of Major John Hampton, of South Carolina, who served with General Jackson in the war of 1812, and a second cousin of the noted Wade Hampton of the present day. Dr. John C. Helm was born at Charleston, in what is now West Virginia, November 7, 1800. Two years later the family removed to Washington County, Tennessee. At eleven years of age he entered Washington College, and during the course walked every day to and from school, a distance of three and-a-half miles. He embraced the medical profession, and pursuing it with characteristic zeal and energy, became a well qualified physician. In 1821 he married Amy Hampton, above mentioned, by whom he had eight children. In 1835 he removed to Preble County, Ohio, and there practiced medicine until 1844, when he came to Miami County, Indiana, built a large flouring mill at Peru, and afterward another at Peoria, in the same county, where he finally established his home. There he continued the duties of his profession, and so invested the receipts as to amass a fortune. In 1865 occurred the death of his intelligent and devoted wife. After this severe affliction he divided most of his real estate among his three sons, giving to each property of much value. These sons are John H., Henry T., a prominent lawyer of Chicago, and David B., a farmer, who are respected wherever known. Sometime after making this liberal provision for his children, Doctor Helm married in Chicago, his son Henry's mother-in-law, an estimable lady, but she soon died, and he did not long survive her. On the 7th of September, 1847, the strong man, who had never known weakness or defeat, yielded to the resistless enemy, death. He was a man of wonderful energy and tenacity of purpose. He had made and lost fortune after fortune, but no adversity could wholly overcome him, and finally, as if victorious over adverse fate, he died in the possession of wealth. His son, Doctor John H. Helm, the principal subject of this sketch, was born at Elizabethtown, Carter County, Tennessee, April 23, 1826. His education was gained chiefly through private instruction. Having inherited in some respects his father's tastes,, he studied medicine, first under Doctor Pliny M. Crume, at Eaton, Ohio, and with Doctor Charles L. Avery. In 1844 he entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, from which he graduated in 1847 and immediately commenced practice in partnership with Doctor Crume, at Eaton. In the meantime, in the spring of 1846, he was mustered into the United States service under General Wool, and served one year in the war with Mexico. The years 1848-49 and 1850 were spent in traveling through California, Oregon, Mexico, the West Indies and Central America, and a portion of South America. In 1851 he married Mary Henkle, daughter of Rev. Andrew Henkle, of Germantown, Ohio, but she died only about a year later. Having resumed the duties of his profession with Doctor Crume, he remained at Eaton until 1860, when he removed to Peru, Indiana. There he soon established himself in the confidence and esteem of the people and gained a large and lucrative practice. In 1854 he married his second wife, Margaret Ridenour, of Preble County, Ohio. They have three children, one daughter and two sons, living. He still resides in Peru and intends to abide there the remainder of his days. Besides attending to his patients Doctor Helm directs the management of his farms in Miami County, Indiana, and Champaign County, Illinois. Though he possesses good business qualifications and has acquired considerable wealth, his chief ambition has been to excel in the medical profession, and he has lent his best energies in that direction. In this laudable purpose he has not failed, as shown in part by the honors conferred upon him by various medical societies. The Indiana State Medical Society, of which he is a member, made him in 1876 their president. In 1872 he was elected president of the Miami County Medical Society. He organized the Peru Board of Health and has ever since been its president. He is a member also of the American Medical Association. Dr. Helm has contributed various able articles to these societies and to medical journals. He was one of the company of 173 physicians who crossed the continent to San Francisco to attend the meeting of the American Association in that city in 1871, and an honorary membership in the California Medical was there conferred upon him. Having been absorbed in the labors of his profession, Dr. Helm has neither sought nor accepted any political distinction, though his talents and acquirements would have enabled him to succeed in that field. He was a Democrat in early life, but in later years he has voted for those candidates he deemed most eligible, regardless of their party connection. He is a member of the Catholic church. Tall, powerful and possessing much personal magnetism, Dr. Helm is fitted to influence men by these qualities alone, and, uniting with them talent, culture and experience, he cannot fail to be a leader in every enterprise he undertakes. His lot seems enviable, and it is hoped he may long live in the enjoyment of his family, his medical reputation and the material blessings with which he is surrounded.
[Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago. Submitted by Barb Z.]
Hon. John E. KENNA
JOHN E. KENNA, of Charleston, was born the 10th of April, 1848, in Valcoulou, Virginia (now West Virginia). He lived on a farm until the breaking out of the late civil war, when he entered the Confederate Army as a private, serving till the close of the war, when he surrendered at Shreveport, Louisiana, in 1865. After the war he attended, St. Vincent's College, in Wheeling, West Virginia, then read law in Charleston, and in June, 1870, he was admitted to the Bar. He has since then practiced law in Charleston. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Kanawha County in 1872, and served in that capacity four years. In 1875 he was chosen by the Bar in the respective counties under statutory provision to hold the Circuit Courts of Lincoln and Wayne Counties. He was a member of the Forty-fifth, Forty-sixth and Forty-seventh Congresses, and had been elected to the Forty-eighth Congress when he was elected to the United States Senate, as a Democrat.
In a speech in the Senate on the subject of interstate commerce Mr. Kenna said:
"The proposition of the Senator from Minnesota, like the proposition of every Senator on this floor who urges opposition to the amendment, that the railroad should not only be allowed, but should be required, to charge reasonable rates, involves us in the old geometrical question as to the size of a lump of chalk. What constitutes a reasonable rate is precisely the thing which the people of this country are unwilling to leave to the arbitrary discretion of the railroad commission. I do not want to interrupt my friend, the Senator from North Carolina, in his speech, but I do want to reiterate the fact that in the amendment of my colleague which was adopted yesterday, and which seems to be the bone of contention here, the simple principle is announced that without interfering with railroad rates-I dislike to hear the term 'rates' mentioned in the line of this discussion, because there is no question of rates involved in it-without reference to any kind or character whatever to interference with the traffic of railroads or their freights, it has been deemed by the friends of this measure a reasonable limitation that they should not be allowed to charge more in gross, more for a shorter haul, even if that shorter haul be ten miles, than for a longer haul, even if that longer haul be a thousand miles. It is an equalization which is essential to restoring to Congress a prerogative which has heretofore been usurped by the railroad companies of this country to control its interstate commerce, and to give to the West or any other section the great markets of the East, giving to the one to the exclusion of the other. That is the real principle involved in it after all."
[Source: "Our Great Men or the Leaders of the Nation", 1887 - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Hon. Edward Boardman KNIGHT, M.A.
Charleston, West Virginia -- Edward B. Knight, one of the really eminent lawyers of West Virginia, prior to the days of modern-help text books and encyclopaedia compilations for quick reference, when lawyers had to carry the law in their heads and not merely in their libraries, where they could turn to a cyclopaedia and find what they wanted in a few minutes, in order to succeed in their practice and become eminent as barristers. Mr. Knight was of the kind who was erudite and learned in every branch of the profession, and was unusually apt in knowing how to apply his vast learning in an emergency, so as to prove most effective in a court trial. The writer has heard him in the trial of a considerable number of important causes in our high courts, and without disparaging other distinguished members of the Bar, he is clearly of the opinion that Mr. Knight had but few equals as a trial lawyer in this or any other State. He was self-poised, of free and forceful speech, incisive in delivery, and rarely failed to impress a court and jury of the justness of his contentions. He possessed a large fund of knowledge outside of his profession, which he often used with telling force in his court trials. He carried a serious bearing, and yet he had a remarkable vein of wit and humor when occasion called for an expression of this natural feature of his make up. He seemed to possess on all occasions all of the elements of an all round able and successful lawyer, who possessed the confidence of his brothers of the profession and the respect of all the people who knew him personally.
Mr. Knight was a native of New Hampshire; was born August 22, 1834; graduated from Dartmouth College in the class of 1861; was admitted to the bar in 1863 and practiced for a short time in his native town of New London, and also in Dover, N. H. In the spring of 1863 he located permanently in Charleston, West Virginia, and became a partner of the late Colonel Benjamin H. Smith, who was known all over the State as one of its greatest lawyers, who was a specialist in land titles and land litigations generally. A short time after Mr. Knight became a member of the firm of Smith and Knight, Colonel Smith, who was advanced in years, retired and his place was taken by his son, Major Isaac N. Smith, who was also a lawyer of erudition, the firm name remaining as before. Major Smith died in 1883, when Mr. Knight and Mr. George S. Couch entered into partnership under the firm name of Knight and Couch, which continued until Mr. Knight retired from practice January 1, 1892.
Mr. Knight was a man of large stature, of even temper and kindly disposition. He had a host of friends, and lived a clean, moral and upright life. He was fond of out-door living, and usually spent his summer vacations in the beautiful hill country around Sunipee Lake, New Hampshire, in fishing and other out-door sports, among his relatives and friends of early life. He was twice married. By his first wife he had two sons and one daughter. One of the sons is a noted lawyer of Charleston, who is mentioned in another place in this volume, the other son, Harold Warren Knight, a successful business man of Charleston, now deceased, and the daughter, Mary Ethel, who is the wife of Hon. George W. McClintic, another prominent lawyer of Charleston, who is also mentioned in this volume.
Mr. Knight was a Democrat in politics, but was in no sense a politician, never having sought an office of any kind. He, however, was Solicitor of the City of Charleston for a number of years, and was a member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1872. In both of these positions he rendered able and efficient service.
After spending a long, useful and successful life, he quietly passed into the unseen, December 16, 1897, sadly mourned by a host of admiring friends, leaving a record of a private and professional life equaled by few and difficult to surpass.
[Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Robert George LINN, LL.B.
Mr. Linn, one of the leading lawyers of the Kanawha Bar, son of Robert Linn, who was also a lawyer of prominence, was born at Glenville, Gilmer County, Virginia, April 6, 1849, received his education at Witherspoon Institute, Butler, Pennsylvania, and the Cincinnati Law School, from which well known College of Law he graduated in April 1870, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws; the same year he was licensed to practice at the Gilmer County Bar; was elected Prosecuting Attorney of that county in October 1870 and served two years; was attentive to his public duties and served efficiently for the full term. In 1872 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of the adjoining county of Calhoun; became a resident of Grantsville, Calhoun County, and remained there until March 1, 1884, when he returned to Gilmer County, where he continued to reside until 1900, when he located permanently in Charleston, the capital of the State. He married Miss Mary Hamilton, of Weston, Lewis County, June 12, 1876. Eight children resulted from this marriage, two of whom are deceased. A son, Robert, who graduated from the law department of the West Virginia University in the class of 1906, is a member of his father's present law firm.
Mr. Linn from early manhood has been an untiring worker, and his practice has been of a general character and has been spread out over several contiguous counties. He had several branch law firms; for example, the one in Braxton County, for several years was Linn and Byrne; in Gilmer County the firm for eleven years was Linn and Withers; in Lewis County, Linn and Brannon; in Calhoun, Linn and Hamilton; and in Charleston since 1889 the law firm is Linn and Byrne. In the earlier years of his practice it was his custom to attend the terms of court in several counties wherein he maintained partnerships and assist in the trial of important causes, but since his location at Charleston the business of his present firm has become so extensive that he seldom attends court sessions in any of the counties wherein he formerly had an extensive practice He is an able, ingenuous trial lawyer and handles his cases skillfully, and generally successfully; consequently he maintains a large clientage. He is never short of business, and he may be found in his office at all reasonable hours, except when engaged in court sessions.
Moreover, he is careful, clear headed and thorough in his work. He is thoroughly grounded in the law and devotes special care to the preparation of his pleadings. He is a man of marked courage, and yet is fair and courteous. His force of will and self-reliance are far above the average and his integrity is equal to his accuracy. He asks no favors and fears no adversary. He is strong in body and mind. In politics he is a Democrat, but he is much more of a lawyer than a politician. He never aspired to any office, except positions strictly in the line of his profession. As we have stated above, he was six years Prosecuting Attorney of two different counties, and in 1916 he was vigorously pressed as a candidate for Circuit Judge of the Kanawha Circuit, a place he was well qualified to fill, but failed to secure the nomination. Had he been chosen he would have honored both the Bench and the Bar.
Mr. Linn is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is both upright and reliable in all of his dealings. Since writing the above Mr. Linn died, May 13, 1919.
[Bench and bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
The surname Love is derived, according to the best authority on British surnames, not from love, but from the word loup (wolf), and appears in the Hundred Rolls, evidently having been a surname from about A. D. 1200. From Loupell is derived Lovell in a similar way. A very ancient Love coat-of-arms is described: Azure a lion rampant argent. Crest: A hand holding an annulet proper. Various other coats-of-arms of the Love family are described by Burke. The principal seats of this family in England are at Basing, Hampshire; Norton and Goadhurst, Hampshire and Oxfordshire; Sevenoaks, county Kent; Kirksted, county Norfolk, and at Agnow, county Northampton.
The first American immigrant of the name was in Boston in 1635, but he appears to have left soon. It is not known whether he went back to England or not, but there is evidence that he left descendants in Boston. Thomas Love, of Boston, married, September 23, 1752, Hannah Thurston. John Love, of Boston, died in 1714; another John Love died there in 1756, and a Margaret Love in 1759. Wichie Love died in Boston in 1724, and his son, Qilliam Richie, of Ritchie, had a guardian appointed in 1730 and died in 1758. Robert Love, of Boston, died in 1777. Hezekiah Love, of Taunton, was a juror in the county court at Plymouth in 1650, but no descendants are known.
Before the revolution two of the Boston Love family moved to Mecklenburg county, Virginia. The date is given in some records as 1674. If this date is correct they were probably sons of the first settler, but possibly grandsons. The names are not known, however.
(II) Charles Love, a descendant of the Boston Love family, was born in Mecklenburg county, Virginia, probably as early as 1750. He married Susan Chiles, of Childs. With his two sons, William and Daniel and three daughters, he removed to Kanawha county, Virginia, now in West Virginia, in 1805. In 1814 he and his two sons removed to Mud River valley, where they settled and lived the remainder of their lives. Children of Charles and Susan Love: Mrs. Rolfe, Mrs. Burton, Mrs. Hampton, Mrs. Shortridge, Charles. Allen. William, mentioned below; Daniel, married Cynthia Anna Chadwick.
(III) William, son of Charles Love, was born in Mecklenburg county, Virginia. December 30, 1781. He married, June 16. 1803, Susan E. Brame, born in Mecklenburg county, March 2, 1785. Children: 1. Martha A., born May 24, 1804, died May 18. 1845, in Iowa; married, March 19, 1822. Luke W. Billups. 2. Elizabeth L.. born January' 2. 1806; married, November 10. 1825, Martha Ellison. 3. Charles T., born April 26, 1807, died May 18, 1854; married. February 23, 1841, Lucretia Jane Creath. 4. May I., born October 18. 1808. died February 4. 1896, in Illinois; married, March 18, 1828, Albert Eastham. 5. William A., mentioned below. 6. Elisha, born December 22, 1811, died May 9, 1847; married, October 27, 1831, B. W. Maupin. 7. Sophia P., born October 16, 1813, died in Huntingdon, West Virginia, March 9, 1895; married, December 22, 1836, Edmund C. Rece. 8. Lewis L., born July 25, 1815; married, August 9, 1838, Emily Eastham. 9. Allen, born March 17, 1817, died June 3, 1849, unmarried . Three others died in infancy.
(IV) William A., son of William Love, was born April 28. 1810, in Virginia. He was educated in the common schools, and followed farming all his life in Putnam county, Virginia. He married (first) May 30, 1832, Eliza Morris, who died February 3. 1838, daughter of John Morris; he married (second) August 8. 1839, Margaret Handley; married (third) December 6, 1842, Elizabeth Shelton. Children by first wife: 1. Peter E., mentioned below. 2. John W.. a soldier in the federal army, killed in the civil war. Child by second wife: 3. Margaret, married Charles Shoemaker. Children by third wife: 4. Susan Virginia, married Samuel Moore. 5. Eliza, married John O. Morris. 6. Charles, died in infancy. 7. Daughter, died in infancy. 8. Daughter, died in infancy. 9. Nancy, married Bales Kade. 10. Minnie, married Samuel Moore, he being the husband of her deceased sister, Susan V. 11. Marietta, married P. B. Reynolds.
(V) Peter E., son of William A. Love, was born in Cabell county, Virginia, now in West Virginia, June 13, 1833. He was a farmer in Cabell county during his active life. Died November 28, 1912, aged seventy-nine years, in Huntington, West Virginia. He married Ann A. Simmons, born near Milton, West Virginia, died December 18, 1910, aged seventy-seven years, daughter of William Simmons. Children, born in Cabell county, West Virginia: 1. Charles A., married Edith Bernall. 2. John W., married Kate Jackson. 3. Cornwalsy, married Mamie Dundass. 4. James S., (deceased); married Agnes Sedinger. 5. Thomas L., deceased; married Catherine Heriford. 6. L. Lewis, M. D., married (first) Anna Love; (second) a Miss Underwood. 7. Allen V., married Lillian Tozier. 8. Henry Edward, mentioned below. 9. Mollie E., married W. G. Williams. 10. Annie E., married S. E. Reynolds.
(VI) Henry Edward, son of Peter E. Love, was born near Barboursville, Cabell county, West Virginia, December 19, 1870. He rereceived his early education in the public schools and afterward attended Barboursville College. After following farming for a number of years, he was for a time a general merchant at Barboursville. In 1902 he came to Hunington and engaged in the livery stable business for about five years. He sold out to devote all his attention to the automobile business and since then he has had a large and flourishing trade. In 1905 he built his present garage, the first in Huntington. He is a dealer in all kinds of automobiles and conducts a general automobile business. He is one of the prominent merchants of the town. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Huntington. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He and his family attend the Baptist church. Mr. Love married, October 23, 1893, Minnie F. McCom mas, born near Barboursville, Cabell county, West Virginia, daughter of Jefferson McCommas. Children, born in Cabell county: Paul E., Amelia A., Mildred Bess, Milton H.
[Source: "West Virginia and its people", Volume 2 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell, 1913 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Hon. George Warwick McCLINTIC, A.B., LL.B.
George W. McClintic, son of William H. and Mary Mathews McClintic, was born in Pocahontas County, West Virginia, January 14, 1866. He was graduated from Roanoke College at Salem, Virginia, in 1883, receiving the classical degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then entered the law department of the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, and was graduated there from in the class of 1886 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He returned to his native county and in the early part of the next year (1887) was admitted to the Bar of the Circuit Court of Pocahontas County. October 1, 1888, he located at Charleston, Kanawha County, and entered upon the practice of the law as the junior member of the firm of Mollohan and McClintic,— Wesley Mollahan, an able and well-known attorney, being the senior member of the partnership. In 1900 William Gordon Mathews was added to the firm. In 1911 Mr. Mollohan died, and later the firm became McClintic, Mathews and Campbell, Mr. John Edgar Campbell being the junior member of the partnership as it now stands. Mr. McClintic, therefore, is now the senior member of one of the most noted law firms within the entire Commonwealth. His firm has specialized in land litigations, corporations and constitutional controversies, and at the same time practices in all the varied branches of the law in all the State and Federal courts within the State and also in the Supreme Court of the United States; and we may add, handles a large volume of important legal business.
Mr. McClintic owes his success at the Bar largely to his laborious preparation of his cases. He is thoroughly grounded in the fundamental principles of the law, and by indefatigable industry avails himself of his knowledge and resources. The accuracy of his pleadings, his uniform urbanity and simplicity of manners, his fidelity to his clients and the force of character which he brings to bear upon his causes, all contribute to his popularity and success. He possesses promptness, energy and decision, which coupled with love of justice and fair dealing, have placed him among the high grade members of the profession in the State. His rank as a member of the Bar of the State, therefore, is firmly established.
He was united in marriage with Miss Ethel Knight, of Charleston, daughter of the late Hon. Edward B. Knight, an eminent member of the Kanawha Bar, October 17, 1907. They have one child, Elizabeth Knight McClintic. Their home life is ideal, and among their friends they are always social, joyous and happy. They are Presbyterians in faith, and enjoy the confidence and respect of a large circle of admiring friends.
Mr. McClintic is "high up" in the Masonic Fraternity, having filled, with distinction, the exalted position of Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of West Virginia in 1905-6, whose annual sessions he never fails to attend. Unless something of unusual importance intervenes to prevent.
He is a Republican in politics, but has never sought an office of any kind; except he was Solicitor of the city of Charleston for a full term and was a valuable official. Said office, however, is in the line of his profession. He was made the candidate of his party for membership in the West Virginia Legislature in June, 1918, without his seeking, and was elected by an unusual majority by the voters of his county.
[Source: "Bench and Bar of West Virginia" edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 – TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Judge David McCOMAS
Among the early distinguished Judges of what was then known as the Kanawha Circuit, which consisted of more than a dozen counties, extending from Wythe County, Virginia, to Wood County, West Virginia, was the subject of this brief notice. He was the son of General Elisha McComas, and was born in Wythe County, Virginia, in 1795, and after a brilliant career as a lawyer and jurist he died in Giles County, Virginia, in 1864. He was a Whig, although he never had much to do with politics. He, however, served one term in the Senate of Virginia from the Kanawha Senatorial District. While a Circuit Judge, his home was on Virginia Street, in Charleston, not far from where the office of the "Charleston Daily Mail '' is now published.
Judge McComas married a Miss French, but they were never blessed with any offspring. The Judge is remembered by many of the older citizens of Charleston as an erudite lawyer, and a jurist of great ability. He was also a man of high grade integrity, and was the soul of honor; and is still referred to as one of the able jurists, who was an honor to the judiciary of the Western portion of Virginia, more than sixty years ago.
[Source: "Bench and Bar of West Virginia" by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919-TK - Transcribed by AFOFG]
One of the most illustrious legal products of West Virginia was the subject of this sketch. He was a man of simple habits; was courteous and dignified in his general deportment; attended to his duties promptly and faithfully; was more inclined to listen than to speak; was kind hearted, frank, straight forward, and independent; was conscientious and upright, and was a philosopher and a thinker. In fact he knew something of most everything; could reason from cause to effect on most every branch of human knowledge, and could give a logical reason for every principle he chose to present. He was apparently always thinking about something worth while wherever and whenever one might chance to meet him. He had pronounced convictions practically on everything beneath the sun, except politics. Whilst he always claimed to be a Democrat, yet on election day he generally split his ticket. He was eccentric. That much cannot be denied. He was peculiar. He at times was abstracted. Like Cassius, "he thought too much." But no one can say that he did not always stand "four square" every day in the week and every week in the year.
Mr. Mollohan was the son of the Reverend Charles Mollohan, and was born in Braxton County, Virginia, January 31, 1841, and died while visiting in Kansas, September 25, 1911. His early education was obtained from the public schools of Gallia County, Ohio, and later at Gallipolis, Ohio, Academy. He possessed an aspiration for knowledge which- no circumstances of his youth could suppress, and an ambition to achieve a name and place among men undaunted by any prospect which the future could present to his view. When he quit the Academy he read law under the direction of the late Judge Simeon Nash at Gallipolis, one of the eminent lawyers and text writers of Southern Ohio. In less than two years he was thoroughly prepared for examination. He was critically examined, passed with a high grade, received his license and was admitted to the Gallipolis Bar. He, along with James Henry Nash (son of Judge Nash), a brilliant, brainy young attorney, came to Charleston, West Virginia, in 1865, opened a law office and began a business which was lucrative from the day they hung out their "shingle." Mr. Nash died in about ten years after his arrival and location at Charleston. Later George W. McClintic and William Gordon Mathews became partners with Mr. Mollohan and were members of the firm at the time of his demise.
Mr. Mollohan's practice embraced a period of nearly a half century and extended through the State and Federal Courts to the Supreme Court of the United States, and he appeared in many important cases involving a large number of land titles, tax sales, forfeitures and kindred subjects in many of the different counties of the entire State, he being recognized as one of the foremost, if not the best equipped and strongest land lawyer West Virginia has thus far presented to the profession. He was also a specialist upon all matters involving the construction of all constitutional questions. Indeed he seemed ready and at ease in the discussion of all cases, and especially appeals to the higher courts, involving intricate questions of law. In all cases where he appeared he rarely failed to show that he was generally well fortified behind impregnable breastworks. His successes were the fruits of his unceasing efforts, of vigorous, systematic application, a rectitude of purpose a nd a determination which nothing short of the achievement of the highest and noblest ends could satisfy. He commanded success and he deserved it.
He was a marked man in another respect. He never was a candidate for an office, never held an office, and never wanted one. He was distinctively a lawyer, and allowed nothing outside of his profession to draw his attention from it.
He married Miss Mary E. Donnally of Warren, Ohio, in 1872, who passed away in the early part of January, 1918. They left five daughters surviving them. Mr. Mollohan never connected himself with any religious organization, nor any secret society: He was an active member of the State Bar Association, and was president of the Association in 1902. He was a marked man, and must be classed among the great lawyers of his generation. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Hon. Benjamin H. OXLEY
Mr. Oxley, youngest of eight children of Jenkins Madison and Elizabeth Miles Oxley, was born in Franklin County, Virginia, June 19, 1853. He and an only sister survive, two brothers having lost their lives in the cause of the South during the Civil War, the others, except one sister, having died young. His ancestors, on his father's side, came from England to Canada, early in the 17th century, afterwards moving to Virginia; his mother's ancestors were, on her father's side, also English, while on her mother's side they were Scotch-Irish, being among the earliest settlers in the Valley of Virginia.
At the age of six he began attending subscription or private schools in his native county, but when old enough to commence working on the farm went to school in winter only, until, at the age of fifteen, he came with his parents to Lincoln County, West Virginia, settling on a farm near Griffithsville, teaching in the public schools in winter and helping to run the farm the rest of the while.
When twenty-one he commenced attending local normal schools during the summer months continuing teaching in winter, and later on began reading law during his spare time, and in 1879 he was granted a license to practice law by the Supreme Court of Appeals, composed of Judges Greene, Haymond, Moore and Johnson. He then located at Hamlin, Lincoln County, attending regularly, for a number of years, the courts of that county as well as those of Boone and Logan. He was frequently, in the absence of Judges of Circuit Courts, chosen by the Bar, in these respective counties, to hold terms of courts. He has been also admitted to practice in both the Supreme Court of the State and in the United States Courts.
Mr. Oxley is the author of a law book, "Instructions to Juries, by West Virginia Courts," containing both the legal principles laid down by the Supreme Court relating to that subject, as well as numerous forms, having the approval of our Appellate Court. The work is considered, by the legal profession, as authority on Instructions.
In politics he has always been a Democrat, yet stands aloof from machine and ring rule. He is a Mason and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
He represented Lincoln County in the House of Delegates in the session of 1885, and was elected to the State Senate from the old Seventh District, composed of seven counties, in 1886, serving during the regular sessions of 1887 and 1889. During the latter year he made Charleston his home, where he still resides. For five years he was a bookkeeper in the State Auditor's office until in 1890, when he was appointed by Governor Fleming to the position of Adjutant-General and ex officio State Librarian, his term as such ending in March, 1898. Afterwards, for four years, he was Assistant Clerk of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State. March 26, 1918. He was, by Governor Cornwell, appointed State Librarian.
May 6, 1889, he was united in marriage with Miss Fannie Burton, of Charleston, West Virginia. They have two living children, one a son. Edward, who, while engaged in Agricultural Extension work in Nevada. Enlisted in the United States Navy, and afterwards, having been granted an honorable discharge, has resumed his former duties, being now located in Arizona, and a daughter, Frances, now a student in college.
[Source: "Bench and Bar of West Virginia" edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 – TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
William Walter PRESSLEY
The Pressley family is numbered among the early Colonial settlers in Virginia, the name of Colonel William Pressley, of "Northumberland House," appearing first in the Northumberland County records for the year 1657. His son, Captain Peter Pressley, was an officer in the Colonial Militia, and the family attained prominence in the affairs of the Colony.
William Walter Pressley, born at Sand Lick (now Birchleaf), Dickenson County, Virginia, was a son of Joshua D. Pressley, farmer and trader, and his wife, Eliza J. Counts, daughter of William L. Counts, who died in 1911, at the ripe age of ninety-six years. The Counts family, of German origin, was among the pioneers who took up land in Russell County, Virginia.
W. W. Pressley has attained a remarkable measure of success in business, considering his environment, and perhaps that success is due largely to the blending in his veins of those English and Teutonic strains of blood which for centuries have been the greatest moving force in the world.
Young Pressley attended the District Schools of his native County, and in 1896 was a student at the High School in Clintwood, Virginia. He taught school for several terms, and began his business career by entering the service of the Antler Coal and Coke Company, at Welch, West Virginia, as store manager. Realizing the value of a thorough commercial training and a knowledge of shorthand in business, he took a course at the Commercial College of the University of Kentucky, from which institution he was graduated in 1902. He then accepted a position with the Mahan Lumber Company, near Charleston, West Virginia, and was subsequently identified with the Clinchfield Coal Corporation at Clintwood, Virginia, for two years.
Mr. Pressley is a graduate of the American Institute of Banking and is a close student of the science of profitable management of money and monetary affairs, and of the systematic control and regulation of revenue and expenditure. On the 6th of January, 1906, he was elected Cashier of the Dickenson County Bank, Inc., a position he has continuously occupied with marked ability. The Dickenson Bank is one of the most prosperous financial institutions in the southwestern section of Virginia. It is capitalized at $25,000.00 and has now a capital and surplus of nearly $75,000.00, the increase being derived exclusively from the earnings of the Bank.
Mr. Pressley is recognized by his townsmen as a public spirited citizen who can be depended on to render useful service to the community when needed, irrespective of any direct benefit to himself. For twelve years he has served as Trustee of the Dickenson County High School, and for a like period has been a member of the County School Board.
He has given his political allegiance during his whole life to the Democratic party and has served as Chairman of the Democratic Committee for four years. In this section of Virginia, where political battles are waged most fiercely, a leader must be constantly on the firing line throughout the contest.
In fraternal circles Mr. Pressley is identified with the Masonic Lodge, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Red Men. His church connection is with the Missionary Baptist Church, of which he is one of the Deacons.
Mr. Pressley married, September 9, 1907, at Clintwood, Virginia, Miss Julia Colley, daughter of B. B. and Nannie Colley. They have two sons, Charles Burns and Harry Lee, both still young.
In the prime of life, Mr. Pressley occupies an honored position secured by intelligent and faithful service, and has before him the promise of a most brilliant career. His interest and work has been most useful to the community of which he forms a part, and he is already a locally prominent citizen of a State noted for the ability and achievements of its sons.
[Source: "Makers of America: Biographies of Leading Men of Thought And Action, The Men Who Constitute The Bone And Ainew of American Prosperity And Life", Volume 2 by B.F. Johnson, 1916 – TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Mrs. Agnes Goodridge SIMMONS
From memorial resolutions passed by Camp No. 770, U. C. V., of Los Angeles, Cal, in tribute to Mrs. Agnes Goodridge Simmons, beloved wife of Comrade S. S. Simmons, Commander of the Camp, the following is taken:
"Mrs. Agnes Goodridge Simmons, daughter of Col. Charles Ruffner, was born at Charleston on Kanawha, W. Va., on March 20, 1851, and died May 5, 1920. She married Sampson Saunders Simmons, of Cabell County, W. Va., in February, 1870, and their golden wedding anniversary was celebrated on February 13, 1920. She was the mother of ten children, four of whom died in infancy. Three daughters and three sons survive her: Mrs. George T. Klipstun, of Alexandria, Va.; Mrs. William P. Mahood and Mrs. John W. Piatt, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Bennett E. Simmons, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Goodridge Kilgore Simmons, of Holtsville, Cal.; C. Ruffner Simmons, of Phcenix, Ariz. The youngest son served in France in the Aero Squadron, A. E. F.
"Mrs. Simmons united with the Church at about fifteen years of age and all through life was more or less active in the work of the Church, and she was an active worker in the Woman's Christian Temperance Union in her West Virginia home town. Her family, a large one, in her native county is among the oldest of the Virginians and devoted its entire strength to the cause of the Confederacy during the War between the States. Her father, too old for military duty at the time, maintained a hospital for the Confederate soldiers near the border of Virginia and became the object of the bitterest persecution by the invading army because of his influence and activities in behalf of the South. Her husband, Sampson S. Simmons, was a member of Company E, 8th Virginia Cavalry, known as the 'Border Rangers,' commanded by the gallant Albert Gallatin Jenkins. The family have made their home in Los Angeles since 1908.
"Resolved, That the members of this Camp cherish the memory of Mrs. Simmons as that of one who was loyal to the ideals and principles for which we strive, helpful to us in our work, and an ever ready friend to us, one and all."
["Confederate Veteran",Volume 28 by Confederated Southern Memorial Association, 1920 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
Major Isaac Noyes Smith
Kanawha county, Virginia -- Major Smith, son of Col. Benjamin H. and Roxalana Noyes Smith, was born in Charleston, Kanawha county, Virginia, in April, 1832. He was educated at Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, from which he graduated with high honors in both the academic and law departments. After completing his college studies, he returned to his home at Charleston, entered the law office of his father, and very soon became an active member of the Kanawha County Bar.
In 1860 he was elected a delegate from his native county to the Virginia Legislature at Richmond, but when the Civil War broke out in 1861, he volunteered in the Confederate Army as a private soldier, and was shortly thereafter promoted to Major of his regiment. When the war was ended, he was honorably discharged, returned to Charleston, and vigorously resumed the practice of the law in which he was remarkably successful. When his father, who was eminent in the profession, retired from active practice, Major Smith took his place as the senior member of the law firm of Smith & Knight, in which he continued as an active member until his untimely death, which occurred at his residence in Charleston, October 6, 1883. He came of an ancestry marked by strong, able and brave men, and his distinction at the Bar was only less than that of his illustrious father, who survived him.
Major Smith was united in marriage with Miss Caroline S. Quarrier in November, 1860, daughter of Hon. Alexander W. Quarrier, a prominent citizen for many years of Charleston. Major Smith was an official member of the Presbyterian Church, and was noted for uprightness, integrity and honor, as well as a successful lawyer. Several members of his family are still living in the city of Charleston. One of his sons — Harrison Brooks Smith — is a member of the long and well-established law firm of Price, Smith, Spilman & Clay of Charleston, that maintain a state-wide reputation as attorneys and counselors. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
Rev. Robert E. VINSON, D.D. L.L.D.
As one of a family that has been distinguished by its services in the Presbyterian ministry, Rev. Robert E. Vinson, D.D., LL.D., has especially gained prominence in the work of the church, not only through his activities in a ministerial capacity, but as president of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, to which office he was elected in May, 1909, after seven years of work in the seminary as an instructor in various branches.
Robert E. Vinson was born in Winnsboro, Fairfield County, South Carolina, on November 4, 1876, and is a son of John Vinson, a South Carolina merchant and cotton buyer, born in that state in Sumter County, in 1839. Andrew P. Vinson, grandfather of the subject, was a Virginian by birth, who moved to South Carolina when a boy, and who was a very prominent lawyer in the Ante Bellum days. He died in 1846. John Vinson served in the Confederate army under General Beauregard. He enlisted at the beginning of the war from Citadel Academy where he was a student, and served throughout the entire four years. He was taken prisoner at Fort Sumter, but barring a few months imprisonment, was active in the service throughout the entire period of hostilities.
The Vinson family, it should be said, is one of the oldest in America today, the first of the name to settle on American soil having come from France in company with General LaFayette and they rendered valiant service during the revolutionary war.
John Vinson, father of the subject, married Mary Brice, who was of Scotch-Trish descent, her people having come originally from the North of Ireland, settling in the Piedmont section of South Carolina. Two of Mrs. Vinson's brothers fought under General Longstreet throughout the war, and two brothers of John Vinson also gave service to the South during that unhappy time. Walker Vinson was killed in Pickett's Brigade at Gettysburg and the other, A. P. Vinson, still lives in Sumter, South Carolina. He served with the rank of Major during the war, and is still known by his military title. Another brother, W. D., was for twenty years a professor of mathematics in Davidson College, North Carolina.
To John and Mary (Brice) Vinson were born the following children: Walter H., a lawyer of St. Paul, Minnesota; William A., also a lawyer, engaged in practice in Houston, Texas; John W., missionary to China; T. Chalmers, a missionary in Luebo, Belgian Congo. Africa; Mrs. W. J. Culver, of San Antonio, Texas; Mrs. W. A. McLeod, of Austin, Texas; Miss Brice Vinson, teaching in the public schools of San Antonio; and Rev. Robert E. of this review.
Robert E. Vinson came with his father's family to Sherman, Texas, in 1887. He had his education in the public schools, followed by attendance at Austin College, from which he took his B.A. degree in 1896. In 1899 he had his B.D. degree from Union Theological Seminary of Virginia, after which he became Associate Pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Charleston, West Virginia, continuing until 1902 in that connection. In 1902 Rev. Vinson took a special course in Hebrew and Archaeology in the Divinity School of Chicago University, under Dr. Harper, and in September, 1902, he came to Austin, Texas, as professor of Old Testament languages and Exegesis. In 1906, at his own request, he was transferred to the Chair of English Bible and Practical Theology, which he still holds, and in May, 1909, he was elected president of the Seminary, his present office.
In 1905 Austin College conferred upon him the degree of D.D., and in 1910 the degree of LL.D: was conferred upon him by Southwestern Presbyterian University of Clarksville, Tennessee.
Too much credit cannot be accorded to Dr. Vinson for his work along educational lines in the state of Texas. In 1909 he formulated the plan under which the Presbyterian Church in Texas has since operated its educational work, and he has been chairmen of the executive agency of the Synod since 1909. This commission has under its jurisdiction seven schools in the state, and Dr. Vinson has been field secretary since that time, raising all the money for the support and equipment of the schools—a work that has won for him especial prominence in the church and out of it.
Dr. Vinson was married on January 3, 1901, to Miss Katherine Kerr, of Sherman, Texas, a daughter of John S. Kerr, a nurseryman who has been prominently identified with the horticultural and agricultural interests of the state of Texas for the past quarter century. The Kerrs came originally from Scotland, as the family name would inevitably indicate, and they made their first settlement in Mississippi. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Vinson was one of the earliest settlers in Collins County, Texas, and that district is still the recognized seat of the family. Her maternal grandfather, of the family name of Murray, was a pioneer Presbyterian Missionary to the Trans-Mississippi country of Arkansas and Texas, and her maternal grandmother was a Rutherford, also of Scotch descent, and a native of South Carolina.
The children of Dr. and Mrs. Vinson are Elizabeth, born December 26, 1901; Helen Rutherford, born July 9, 1906; and Katherine Kerr, born April 5, 1911.
["A history of Texas and Texans", Volume 4 by Francis White Johnson, 1914 – TK - Transcribed by FoFG]
Hon. William A. QUARRIER
Mr. Quarrier, son of Alexander W. Quarrier, who was for a generation. Clerk of the County Court, and Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery of Kanawha County. William A. was born in Charleston, Virginia, in 1828, where he attended the schools of the town, ending with a full course at Mercer Academy, and finally completed his studies at the University of Virginia, where he graduated in the Law Department, and promptly entered upon an illustrious career as a member of the Kanawha Bar. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861 and remained therein until the close of hostilities in 1865, when he returned to Charleston, and resumed the practice of law. He married Miss Cora Greenhow, by whom he had six children, one of whom — Russell G.— is now a prominent attorney of the Kanawha Bar. Mr. Quarrier never was a politician, but was twice sent to the West Virginia Legislature against his will. He was originally a Whig, but after the Civil War, he aligned himself with the Democratic Party. He loved his profession, and devoted his life to its study.
Mr. Quarrier was one of the ablest lawyers of the West Virginia Bar. It has been said of him that he was the best lawyer in a bad ease that ever practiced at the Kanawha Bar, and his practice was large and important, and he was almost invariably employed, on one side or the other, of practically every important case tried in the courts of Kanawha and adjoining counties. He was also a leader in the civic development of his section of the State.
He was a member of the Episcopal Church, and was a leader therein. He was a tall and commanding man, and was courteous and urbane in all of his movements. He died September 10, 1888, and the entire community mourned his loss.
[Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - TK - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Mr. Welch came to Charleston in 1882 for the purpose of making it his future home. Soon after he arrived he became the junior partner in the firm of High & Welch in the livery, sale and feed business. The partnership continued for two years, when Mr. Welch determined to buy out the interest of his partner, which he did toward the close of the year 1884. As soon as he found himself sole proprietor of the enterprise, which by this time was well established, Mr. Welch proceeded to introduce many improvements, and in a short time Charleston had what it never had before, a first-class livery, sale and feed stable. His establishment is by all means the finest in the county, and it is doubtful if there is another equal to it in the Valley. Mr. Welch is a number one citizen, kind, courteous and obliging, and has a host of friends [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
J. A. WEIGHT
This gentleman was born in this city in the year 1850, and spent part of his school-days here, but thinking Ohio could afford better facilities for education, spent a few years there and then went to Massachusetts, where he finished his course. But his mind seemed to be inclined to handle tools, so he began as an apprentice to learn the carpenter's trade, which he completed in the year 1868. He worked at his trade in Massachusetts for four years and then returned to his native home in 1874, after an absence of ten years and went into the merchandise business as a trader on the river, and for a long time made regular trips on the Kanawha and Ohio rivers, and no man made more friends wherever he went, and the name of J. A. Wright & Co. was well known from the Falls of Kanawha to its mouth and from Wheeling to Cincinnati, and for the past few years they have been located at the corner of Kanawha and Clendennin streets, this city, where they do a large business in the line of dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, hats, caps, etc. They deal in almost everything imaginable, and buy and sell second-hand articles, being the only firm in the city that handle that class of goods. They are men that the public can rely on, and no firm is more willing and ready to lend a helping hand to the poor than they. You will find these gentlemen of pleasant manners, and men in whose business integrity implicit confidence can be placed. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
Louis Schwartz was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in the year 1851. While yet an infant his parents moved with him to Beaver county in the same State, and there he received his education. In 1869 he removed to this city, then a poor man, but with a determined will to accrue some of the worldly gifts, he set to work and now is owner of one of the most handsome residences in the city, situated on State street. He also owns the brick building occupied by P. H. Noyes & Co., and the house, No, 255 Kanawha street, where he is at present conducting a high-toned, first-class saloon. He is in all probability, worth about $25,000, and is honestly endeavoring to gain more. In 1877 he married Miss Barbara Smith, of near Pittsburg, who is a most companionable wife and has done much toward elevating him to his present financial standing. Mr. Schwartz's business career in this city began in 1878, and by always keeping the very best kinds of whisky, beer, wine, cigars, etc., has given him a large trade in the retail business. He is agent for the celebrated Cutter whisky, and also handles the finest oysters to be found in this market. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
George RITTER, Jr.
Proud ought Charleston to be of the young business men being reared in her bounds. The subject of this sketch was born and reared in this county, and is known by almost every one, as an honest, industrious and enterprising young man. Having launched out on the deep financial sea in early life, with unabated energy he has struggled on and on, and we predict that ere old age catches him he will be securely landed on the safe and sunny shore of wealth and happiness. His first business venture was in November, 1884, on Virginia street, No. 282, where he has kept constantly on hand and for sale cheap everything in the grocery line. To patronize him means to get the best of what you want at the lowest price. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
I. E. NICHOLS
I. E. Nichols, the most prominent and extensive confectioner in Charleston, was born in the County of Caroline, State of Maryland, in 1854, came to Kanawha in 1873 and engaged in business with the late Mr. Hodgeson. At the death of the latter he succeeded him and carried on the trade of manufacturing candies and confectioneries, on a large scale, with the widow. He, after several years, married Mrs. Hodgeson, and by industry and a close application their occupation was increased and enlarged and now is inferior to none in the State. Mr. Nichols is one among the most attentive traders in his line in Charleston; is rarely seen out of his place of business—strict attention to one's employment is a guarantee to success. He is a genial gentleman with whom to transact business, hence the success of his house, and if his life is prolonged he will in a few years accumulate a fortune. It is wonderful when we consider the apparently small beginning of a trade like this how, in a few years, the business will have so augumented as to become one of the leading industries of the city. The house imports large stocks of foreign fruits, nuts, toys and notions in endless variety, and his goods, being always of the best, a ready sale enables him to increase his stock from year to year. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
The subject of this sketch was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1829. He received a fair education, after which he served four years at the cabinet-making business in West Chester, county seat of Chester county. Upon completing his trade he set out as a journeyman, and traveled as far westward as Guthrie county, where he began business as a cabinet maker and undertaker. In 1851 Mr. Morgan was married, remaining in the county until 1868. In 1862, just at the time when the rebellion had fairly set in he enlisted as a United States volunteer in the 136th Regime at P. V., with the rank of Second Lieutenant, He served his time out in the regiment, and, three years after the close of the war, moved with his family to Albemarle county, Virginia, and located near Charlottesville. From there he came to Charleston. Since the year 1872, in which he came here, Mr. Morgan has lived in Charleston, with the exception of about five years, during which time he was employed at Locks 5, 4, 3 and 2 as a builder of coffer-dams. For two years he has been engaged in the building business. At the present time he is proprietor of the new American House, a number one, first-class hotel. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
John Lauterbach was born in Verbarien, Germany, in 1840, and was educated there. In 1869 he emigrated to America and located in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained until 1872, when he removed to Ashland, Kentucky, and opened a bakery and confectionery house, where he conducted business successfully, but seeing a better field in Charleston, he again removed, and opened a saloon and eating house on Summers street, and also a grocery and produce store on State street. Mr. Lauterbach is a stockholder and director in the National Bank of this city. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
In 1864 the gentleman whose name heads this paragraph came to Charleston and entered the retail clothing business. The beginning was a modest one, and often attended by difficulties which few men would have had the courage to face. But Mr. Kaufmann was equal to every emergency, and by the time the great rebellion had closed had succeeded in firmly establishing himself. His business grew with each succeeding year, until to-day no man is better known than M. Kaufmann, the Boss Clothier. He has acquired a reputation as being honorable and upright in all his dealings. Indeed it was by coupling strict business integrity with pluck and perseverance that enabled him to gain in so high a degree the esteem and confidence of his fellow men. His place of business is at No. 228 Kanawha street. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
J. W. GROSHORN
J. W. Goshorn, the present Clerk of the County Court of Kanawha county, is 30 years of age. He is the son of David Goshorn, deceased, and a grandson of the late George Goshorn, who came to Kanawha about the year 1821. His mother was Sallie McConihay, daughter of John McConihay, who came to Kanawha about 1805: Thus it will be seen that Mr. Goshorn is to the manner born, and identified with all the interests of the Great Kanawha Valley. On March 12th, 1884, he was elected to the City Council, and by that body was appointed Street Commissioner. He is still a member of the Council, and has always taken an active part in the improvement of the city. On account of his popularity he was elected Clerk of the County Court by the largest majority ever received in this county for the office. Mr. Goshorn is a bachelor and a member of the Presbyterian church, but it is hoped and expected that he will shortly join the Benedicts. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
John O. FLYNN
John O. Flynn was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1858. He moved to Michigan at a very early age and engaged in the dry goods business, and for sixteen years he followed this avocation, when a more inviting field presented itself and he removed to this city, and embarked in the coal business, running a grocery store in connection, and on May 27th, 1884, bound himself in the holy ties of wedlock to Miss Annie T. Reed, one of Charleston's most estimable and highly accomplished ladies. Thus, early in life, two loving companions have started hand in hand on the high road to wealth and fame. How well they shall succeed the future only can reveal. [Source: "History of Kanawha county and biographical sketches of prominent men" (1885) The W. E. Miller Printing & Publishing Co. Charleston; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails