From the Charleston Gazette, 21 Dec. 1930.
An article based on an address given by Mrs. W. S. JOHNSON, regent of the John Young Chapter, D.A.R. at the unveiling of the monument to the founders of Kanawha County.
Mrs. JOHNSON read the description of the original county borders that were:
...bounded on the north by the Little Kanawha River, the line running so as to include the southern parts of today's counties of Wood, Wirt, Calhoun, [Gilmer], Braxton & Webster. The western parts of Nicholas, Fayette, [Raleigh, Wyoming], & Mcdowell [a northeasterly route from the Cumberland Mtns. across the Kanawha River to Big Sewell Mtn. & along the line of Greenbrier Co., "a days march above the mouth of the Gauley", then westerly to the Little Kanawha River.] Down the Big Sandy River to the Ohio & up the Ohio to the mouth of the Little Kanawha River at Parkersburg. [the other counties completely encompassed are: Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, Mingo, Putnam, Roane & Wayne.]
Representation of the county at its organization for the mouth of the Kanawha area were Thomas LEWIS; John & James VAN BIBBER; Leonard COOPER; William OWENS & others. Cole's [Coals] Mouth by Lewis TACKETT, Sr. & John YOUNG. From the upper end of the valley came Leonard MORRIS, William DRODDY, David ROBINSON, John MORRIS and others. While everyone at the mouth of the Elk attended.
Organizers of the county were--Charles CLENDENIN & his four sons--George, William, Alexander, & Robert, & daughter, Mary Ellen, who came with other families to the valley in April, 1788 & built Fort Clendenin on land purchased from Col. Thomas BULLITT. About 1795 they moved west to the Ohio at the mouth of the Kanawha River.
The Morrisses were here by 1774. In 1783, Leonard & John MORRIS, Michael LEE [See?] & John YOUNG came to the valley.
John YOUNG was the son of Conrad YOUNG, b. 1760, Lancaster Co, PA.
Thomas LEWIS lived at the mouth of the Kanawha. He was the son of Gen. Andrew LEWIS.
James VAN BIBBER lived at the mouth of the Kanawha as did Capt. John VAN BIBBER who fought at the Battle of Pt. Pleasant
[Ed. Note: VAN BIBBERs came from Holland, first settled in PA with some of the family going to Maryland & then to VA. Capt. John V.B. came to Kanawha in 1781, d. in 1821.]
Ensign William OWEN was stationed at Pt. Pleasant.
Francis WATKINS was an ensign at the mouth of the Elk in 1788 & on Capt. John MORRIS' muster roll of 1791/92. [Francis was one of those who came to the valley with the Clendenins.]
Charles McCLUNG [also came with the Clendenins] was on Capt. John MORRIS' muster role in 1791, & was in the county in 1792.
George ALDERSON was the son of Rev. John ALDERSON, Jr. was on the muster rolls of 1791 & 1792. [He was also one of the trustees for the town of Charleston, traded the property he owned, where the county courthouse stands in exchange for the cancellation of a $100 debt the ALDERSONs owed to the county.]
Reuben SLAUGHTER was a sergeant at the mouth of the Elk in 1788, and still on the muster roll in 1791. [Reuben became the county surveyor.]
William DRODDY was on Capt. John MORRIS' muster roll of 1791 & 1792. [William lived with his family at Col. Andrew DONNALLY's.]
The descendants of William CAVENDER, William ROGERS & Benjamin STROTHER, are still to be found in the counties cut off from Kanawha.
Other notables of the valley's early days were:
James TRUSLOW from VA in 1811 & died in 1830.
John SLACK came from Greenbrier Co. His son Greenbury was born in 1807, And son, John was born 1810 here in the county.
Major John HANSFORD, b. Orange Co, VA, 1765, d. Kanawha, 1850. Came to Kanawha in 1778, married William MORRIS' daughter, Jane.
Col. Joel SHREWSBURY married Sally DICKINSON, 1803 in Bedford Co, VA, With his brothers-in-law, John D. LEWIS & William DICKINSON, they were a triumvirate in the salt industry & other business.
Col. Andrew DONNALLY's son Andrew, married in 1802, Marjorie VAN BIBBER, d/o John. They lived 5 miles up the Elk.
John DICKENSON, who died in 1799, owned land in Greenbrier & Kanawha Co.s. 502 acres at the mouth of Campbell’s Creek at Malden. [Post-Herald, Beckley, WV by Shirley Donnelly – 7 Oct 1965]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails