Lewis County West Virginia

 Judge John Brannon

Among the really great lawyers and jurists of West Virginia, now deceased, the subject of this brief sketch must be classed. He was born at Winchester, Virginia, October 19, 1822. His ancestors on both his paternal and maternal sides were engaged in the Revoluntionary War for American Independence. His Grandfather Brannon was a native of Ireland, and his father was a thrifty farmer in the valley of Virginia, where he was recognized as a man of sterling integrity and of high moral character in the citizenship of that highly cultured community. Mr. Brannon received a thorough academic training in the Winchester Academy, a well-known, high grade classical school of that section of Virginia, where a large number of the prominent, influential men of "The Mother State" received their educational training. Shortly after his graduation from this educational institution, the Brannon family moved their residence to Lewis County, now West Virginia, and established a home in Weston, the county seat of that very rich and prosperous county. Our subject before he left Winchester had already begun the study of law, and was pursuing it diligently, which he continued at Weston, and after passing a creditable examination, was admitted to the Bar in 1847. He rapidly acquired a leading, profitable practice. He was a solid, sedate, honorable man in all of his dealings, and possessed the implicit confidence of the general public, who entrusted their business to his management and supervision. It was not long, therefore, until he stood at the head of that able, progressive Bar.

     He was in politics a Whig, and was elected to the Legislature of Virginia, serving therein ably from 1853 to 1857. He was then promoted by an appreciative constituency to the State Senate from 1857 to 1865. In both branches of the State Legislature he was regarded as an able and careful legislator. After the close of the Civil War he allied himself with the Democratic Party, and in 1872 he was elected a Circuit Judge, serving the full term of eight years. Being thoroughly informed in all branches of the law, and being absolutely honest and just, he proved to be satisfactory to both lawyers and litigants. He was urged to accept a second term, but courteously declined and returned to the practice of the law at Weston. In 1884 and 1886 he was the nominee of the Democratic Party for a seat in the American Congress, but was both times defeated by Gen. Nathan Goff, the Republican candidate, by a majority each time of a little more than two hundred. The Legislature came within two or three votes of electing him to the Senate of the United States.

     He married a Miss Bland of Weston, and was a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church. He departed this life at about eighty years of age. No man in Lewis County was more highly respected than he.  [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Johnson Newton Camden
Camden, Johnson Newton, lawyer, founder. United States senator was born March 6, 1828, in Lewis County, W.Va. He was elected prosecuting attorney for Nicholas County in 1852. He was engaged in the banking business in 1854-58, when he entered into the development of petroleum and manufacturing interests at Button; and was made president of the First national bank of that city in 1862. He was the nominee of the Democratic Party for governor in 1868 and again in 1872; and was a delegate to the democratic national conventions of 1868, 1872 and 1876. In 1881-85 and 1893-95 he was United States senator. He organized and built the railroad from Fairmont to Clarksburg, opening up a coal field which is now marketing over a million tons of coal and coke annually. He was president of the Monongahela river road; and the West Virginia and Pittsburg road. He died in 1908.  [Herringshaws National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Gideon Cookman
Gideon Cookman, one of Pitkin county's most successful and progressive ranchmen at this time, has had a chequered career of success and failure, yet through the darkest adversities he maintained his serenity and elevation of spirit, his unyielding courage and his persistent determination to win out in the end. He is a native of Lewis county, West Virginia, born on February 25, 1860, and the son of William Cookman, like himself a native of West Virginia, where he was successfully engaged in farming. They were of English parentage, and had ten children, four of whom have died, one in infancy and Florence, Ellen and Virginia later in life. The six living children are Minerva, Louisa, Phoebe, George, John L. and Gideon. The parents were Methodists and have paid nature's last debt, the mother dying in March, 1860, and the father in July, 1897. Their youngest living son, Gideon, received a limited education at the schools near his West Virginia home, and at the age of twelve went to work for his father on the farm. He remained at home so occupied until he was twenty-one, then in 1881, came to Colorado and located at Denver. Here he worked in a brickyard at two dollars and seventy-five cents a day for two months, after which he found employment on a ranch at thirty dollars a month and his board. Six months later he returned to Denver and shipped to Gunnison, where he devoted his energies to railroad grading at two dollars and fifty cents per day for a time, then grubbed out willows until June 1, 1882. At that time he returned to Gunnison and engaged in the express and transfer business at forty dollars a month and his board, continuing this occupation until fall, when he moved to Grand Junction and went to ranching for wages. The water did not agree with him, and he moved back to Gunnison and took up a pre-emption claim of one hundred and sixty acres on which he spent three years, then sold it at a profit, as it was a promising ranch and he had made comfortable improvements and brought much of the land under cultivation. The place was eighteen miles northwest of Gunnison on Ohio creek. After selling this he went to prospecting, but with such poor success that he lost all he had accumulated and was obliged to work again for wages, which he did at Kokomo, this state. Eight months afterward he again took up his residence at Gunnison and started a new transfer business which he conducted eighteen months. In 1887 he moved to Aspen and rented a ranch on Capitol creek near the one he now owns and occupies. He was unsuccessful here and in two years again went broke and was soon obliged to do ranching for wages. This he continued until 1892, then became purchasing agent for Frederick Light, an extensive cattle man, having also an interest in the business himself. He next engaged with S.P. Sloss in the cattle industry, and at the end of 1897 took charge of his share of the stock and purchasing a ranch of eighty acres of John Carlton, has since carried on a cattle business of his own. His land is located on Capitol creek, and he has increased his holdings by a subsequent purchase of one hundred and seventy-three acres and a desert claim of seventy-three acres, giving him a total of three hundred and twenty-six acres, about two hundred of which are under cultivation and produce good crops of hay and grain. He also has an extensive range near his ranch and is largely engaged in raising cattle and some horses. In politics he is a Democrat and in fraternal relations an Odd Fellow, and belongs to the Daughters of Rebekah, the Woodmen of the World and the Order of Woodcraft. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

Judge Edwin S. Duncan
Judge Duncan, of Clarksburg, is remembered by the older people of that city as one of the ablest lawyers and jurists of the first half of the last century. He was born in Shenandoah County, Virginia, in 1790, and was educated in the schools of that section. He came to Randolph County, in the western part of the State, where he read law and was admitted to the bar at Beverly, the seat of justice of that county, about the year of 1812. He was a man of large natural endowments, and in a very short time became an attorney of distinction. He served for a short time as chief of staff in Col. Booth's Virginia regiment during the second war with Great Britain, shortly after his admission to the bar in 1812. After the close of the war he returned to Beverly and resumed his practice; but being desirous to secure a broader field of operations for a young lawyer of high ambitions, he removed his law office to Clarksburg in Harrison County in 1816 and began to practice there. He also opened an office at Weston in Lewis County, twenty-six miles distant, and had but little trouble in finding clients there as well as at Clarksburg. His residence, however, was in the latter town. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Lewis County in the fall of 1816, and in 1820 he was elected to the State Senate of Virginia from the district of which Harrison and Lewis were a part; was appointed United States District Attorney for the Western District of Virginia in 1824, and served four years; was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1829-30; was later elected a Judge of the General Court of Virginia and of the Eighteenth Circuit in 1831; was appointed by the Governor to represent Virginia at the World's Fair in London, England, in 1851, and after his return from this service he retired to private life at Clarksburg. He departed this life February 4, 1858, and is still referred to as one of the eminent lawyers and judges of that prosperous city.

     Judge Duncan lived an upright, honorable life, and left his impress for good and exalted citizenship in that portion of the State where he spent a long and useful life. He never devoted any of his energies to politics, but preferred to spend all of his time in the profession which he made a special life work. He was truly a learned lawyer and an incorruptible judge. His prominent characteristics were a strong will, sound judgment, a large fund of humor, a keen knowledge of human nature, rigid devotion to what he believed to be right, and an integrity of character that riches dared not attempt to bribe and could not corrupt. His character was beautiful in simplicity and gentleness.

     A number of his descendants are residents of Clarksburg and Harrison County. He was a man of medium stature and carried an air of greatness as he moved among the people. He was, in every respect, a truly representative citizen and stood for the highest ideals in life and character.  [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Hon. Andrew Edmiston, LL.B.
Mr. Edmiston son of Judge Mathew Edmiston, is a native of Weston, Lewis County, Virginia, where he was born in September, 1849. He had three brothers, all of whom were successful physicians, and three sisters, all of whom remained citizens of Lewis County. The subject of this sketch received his primary education in the Weston schools. Later he was a student at Marietta (Ohio) College in 1867 and '68; he was one year at the University of Virginia, and took the law course at Washington and Lee University at Lexington, Virginia, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in the class of 1872; he returned to Weston and was admitted to the Lewis County Bar in the summer of that year, and has since been admitted as a practitioner in all the courts of West Virginia, both State and Federal, his office, all the while, being at Weston, although his practice extended into the surrounding counties, and became large and profitable. He possessed a thorough knowledge of the law, and became a noted attorney in the central portion of the State. He is energetic, studious and fearless, arid has been unusually successful in the trial of important causes. He maintains a high rank as an advocate, a gift possessed, in a high degree, by his distinguished father. His clientele has always been large and profitable, notwithstanding the fact, that for several years past, he has been trying to restrict his clientage, rather than increase it. He is a man of upright character, and has always been trustworthy in every respect.
He was born a Democrat and has never wavered in his allegiance to that faith; still, he cannot be classed, in any respect, as an office-seeker or a politician, per se. Nevertheless, he was, for many years, active in politics, simply to see his party succeed. He was elected a member of the West Virginia Legislature in 1881, and served ably for two years; he was again elected to the same honorable position in 1894. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Lewis County in 1872, and rendered such efficient service in enforcing the law, that he was re-elected in 1876, serving eight years in that office. He was nominated by the Democrats as their candidate for Circuit Judge in 1904, and although not elected, he ran ahead of his ticket in the counties composing the circuit, nearly 1,800 votes. President Roosevelt carried the two counties by nearly 2,700 of a majority, while Mr. Edmiston lost them by less than 900 votes. Mr. Roosevelt carried Lewis (Mr. Edmiston's native county) by 525 majority, while Mr. Edmiston carried it the same day by 327 of a majority. This shows his standing and popularity at home, the best of all places to test one's real merits and standing.  
Mr. Edmiston has never married, and is a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and the order of Knights of Pythias. He was Chairman of the Democratic State Executive Committee for four years, and was a Delegate to the Democratic National Convention, in 1912, which nominated Woodrow Wilson for President of the United States.  [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

John T. Gainer
John T. Gainer, cashier of the Clay County Bank and one of the most prominent financiers and esteemed citizens of Clay Court House, West Virginia, was born May 31, 1871. in Auburn. Ritchie County, West Virginia. He is a son of Albert and Susan A. (Loudon) Gainer, the former of whom was born in January, 1848. and the latter on January 2, 1849. Our subject's mother was a daughter of Thomas Loudon, who removed from Virginia and settled in Upshur County, West Virginia. She was born in Gilman County and there was married to Albert Gainer. The father of the subject of this sketch is a son of John Gainer and a grandson of Bryan Gain er, of Irish ancestry, who removed from Barbour County to what is now Lewis County, West Virginia. Since 1879 Albert Gainer has been a traveling salesman.
John T. Gainer was educated in the common schools and was reared on his father's farm. From the age of 17 to 19 years he was engaged in clerical work in a general store, and then entered the Calhoun County Bank at Grantsville as assistant cashier, where he continued until August 20, 1902, when he accepted his present position. The Clay County Bank was organized June 4, 1002, with C. S. Pearcy as its first cashier, our subject succeeding him. Since taking charge, the capital stock has been increased to $50,000, and the institution ranks high with others of its kind with respect to its stability and to the safety and value of its investments.
Mr. Gainer was married July 28, 1805, to Minnie A. Jeffries. His second marriage was to Belle Ball, on August 18, 1901. One daughter, Madeline, has been born to this union.
Mr. Gainer is one of the leading Republicans of his county, in fact has been conspicuous in party affairs ever since he reached his majority. In Calhoun County he served on the Republican Executive Committee and has been elected from that county a delegate to many conventions. His interest is, however, only that of an intelligent and public spirited citizen. His business is banking, and few are more thoroughly conversant with its requirements than he, and he has never been willing to accept public office. His fraternal relations are with Eureka Lodge No. 40. A. F. & A. M., of Grantsville, Calhoun County; Jerusalem Chapter, No. 3, R. A. M., of Parkersburg; and Calvary Commandery, No. 3, K. T., also of Parkersburg.
In addition to the saddlery and harness business proper, he carries a large line of shoe findings and shoemaker's supplies. The public in general knows that he sells his goods at the right prices. The splendid success of nearly 20 years has fully demonstrated this. Mr. Popp enjoys a large mail-order business, and all orders intrusted in his care are highly appreciated and always attended to with great promptness and to the satisfaction of the customer.  [Men of West Virginia by Biographical Publishing Company - Transcribed by AFOFG]

John M. Hamilton
Hamilton, John M., lawyer, banker and statesman of Grantsville, W.Va., was born March 16, 1855, in Weston, W.Va. He is president of theCalhoun County bank.  [Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

John M. Hamilton , Democrat, of Grantsville, was born at Weston, Va., now West Virginia, March 16, 1855; educated in the public schools; married October 29, 1885, to Minnie Cook; was admitted to practice law in 1877, and has since practiced at Grantsville, Calhoun County, and in surrounding counties and the supreme court of appeals; was recorder of the town of Weston in 1876; committee clerk in the senate of West Virginia in 1881-82; assistant clerk of senate from 1883 to 1887; member of house of delegates and chairman of judiciary committee 1887-88; clerk of house of delegates 1889-90; grand master of Masons of Grand Lodge of West Virginia 1890-91, and is believed to be the only mere Blue Lodge Mason who has held that position; was elected to the Sixty-second Congress, receiving 17,823 votes, to 15,593 for Harry C. Woodyard, Republican, 382 for H. W. Houston, Socialist, and 485 for G. P. Sigler, Prohibitionist. [Official Congressional Directory For The Use of The United States Congress, 1912 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Thomas J. Jackson
LIEUTENANT-GENERAL THOMAS JONATHAN JACKSON of the Confederate army, was born in Lewis County, Western Virginia. January 21st, 1824, graduated at West Point, and was breveted second lieutenant. He served with distinction in the war with Mexico, was made first lieutenant in August, 1847, and in August, 1848, was breveted captain for meritorious services at the battles of Contreras and Cherubusco, and was also breveted major after the battle of Chapultepec. Ill health caused him, in 1852, to resign his commission, and he returned to Virginia. He was soon made professor of chemistry and natural sciences in the Virginia Military Institute. Governor Letcher, of Virginia, commissioned him in 1861, colonel in the State, with the command of the troops in the Shenandoah valley. On the 2d of July, 1861, Jackson encountered the Union forces under General Patterson, and fought the battle of Falling Waters; soon after which he was made a brigadier-general. On July 21st, 1861, he participated in the battle of Bull Run, and in the ensuing October was made a major-general. He encountered the Union forces under Shields, at the battle of Winchester, March 23d, 1862, and was defeated in one of the sharpest contests of the war. In an encounter with the Union forces under Milroy, on the 8th of April, he drove them back to Franklin, and prevented the junction of Generals Fremont and Banks. On the 23d of May, he surprised the Federals under Colonel Kenley at Front Royal, and drove General Banks to the Potomac. Jackson eluded the attempt of Fremont and Banks to capture him, and on June 8th, fought the battle of Cross Keys. Eluding General Shields at Port Republic, he attacked McClellan's right wing at Cold Harbor on the 25th of June, and on the 1st of July, shared in the . Confederate defeat at Malvern Hill. During General Pope's campaign, Jackson participated in the second battle of Bull Run, and caused the surrender of Harper's Ferry. At Antietam, Jackson was posted on" the Confederate left, where he fought desperately. He held the enemy's right at Fredericksburg, December the 13th, and for services therein, was made lieutenant-general. On the 2d of May, he made a flank movement on General Hooker's right at Chancellorsville, routed the Eleventh corps, and returning toward his own lines, was shot by his own men in mistake. Both arms were amputated, and he died on the 10th, in Richmond He was one of the ablest generals in the "Confederacy," which bitterly lamented his untimely death.  (Source: "A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama". By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875 - Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)

LAST WOUND of T.J. (Stonewall) JACKSON
Last wound of the late Gen. Jackson (Stonewall)-the amputation of the Arm-his last moments and death-by Hunter McGuire, M.D. Prof. of Surg in the Medical College of Va, and late Medical Director of Gen. Jackson's command
     Supported upon either side by his aids, Captain James Smith and Joseph Morrison, the General moved slowly and painfully towards the rear. Occasionally resting for a moment, to shake off the exhaustion which pain and the loss of blood produced he at last reached the line of battle where most of the men were lying down, to escape the shell and canister, with which the Federals ? the road. General Pender rode up here to the little party, and asked who was wounded, and Captain Smith, who had been instructed by General Jackson to tell no one of his injury, simply answered, "a Confederate officer;" but Pender recognized the General, and springing from his horse, hurriedly expressed his regret, and added that his lines were so much broken, he feared it would be necessary to fall back. At this moment the scene was a fearful one. The air seemed to be alive with the shrieks of shells and the whistling of bullets; horses, riderless and mad with fright, dashed in every direction; hundreds left the ranks and fled to the rear, and the groans of the wounded and dying, mingled with the wild shouts of others to be led again to the assault. Almost fainting as he was, from loss of blood, fearfully wounded, and as he though, dying, Jackson was undismayed by this terrible scene. The words of Pender seemed to rouse him to life. Pushing aside the men who supported him, he stretched himself to his full height, and answered feebly, but distinctly enough to be heard above the din of the battle. 'General Pender, you must hold out to the last.' It was Jackson's last order upon the field of battle. Still more exhausted by this effort, he asked to be permitted to lie down for a few moments, but the danger from the fire, and capture by the Federal advance, was too imminent, and his aids, hurried him on. A litter having been obtained, he was placed upon it and the bearers passed on as rapidly as the thick woods and rough ground permitted. Unfortunately, another one of the bearers was struck down, and the litter having been supported at each of the four corners by a man, fell and threw the General to the ground. The fall was a serious one and as he touched the earth, he gave, for the first time, expression of his suffering and groaned piteously.
     Captain Smith sprang to his side, and as he raised his head, a bright beam of moonlight, and its way through the thick foliage, and rested upon the pale face of the sufferer. The Captain was startled by its great pallor and stillness, and cried out "Oh! General, are you seriously hurt?" "No," he answered, "don't trouble yourself, my friend, about me," and presently added something about winning the battle first, and attending to the wounded afterwards, when I met him with an ambulance. I knelt down by him, and said, "I hope you are not badly hurt, general." He replied very calmly, but feebly, "I am badly injured, Doctor; I fear I am dying." After a pause he continued, "I am glad you have come. I think the wound in my shoulder is still bleeding." His clothes were saturated with blood, and hemorrhage was still going on from the wound. Compression of the artery with the finger arrested it until lights being procured from the ambulance, the handkerchief which had slipped a little was readjusted. His calmness amid the dangers with surrounded, and at the supposed presence of death, and his uniform politeness, which did not forsake him, even under these, the most trying circumstances, were remarkable. His complete control took over his mind enfeebled as it was, by loss of blood, pain, etc., was wonderful. His suffering at this time was intense; his hands were cold, his skin clammy, his face pale, and his lips compressed and bloodless; not a groan escaped him-not a sign of suffering, except the slight corrugation of this brow, the fixed rigid face, and the thin lips, so tightly compresses, that the impression of the teeth could be seen through them. Except these he controlled by his iron will all evidence of emotion, and more difficult than this even, he controlled that disposition to restlessness, which many of us have observed upon the field of battle, attending great loss of blood. Some whiskey and morphine were procured from Dr. Starith, and administered to him, and placing him in the ambulance, it was started for the Corps Field Infirmary, at the Wilderness Tavern. Col. Crutchfield, his Chief of Artillery, was also in the ambulance wagon. He had been wounded very seriously in the leg, and was suffering intensely.
     The General expressed, very feelingly, his sympathy for Crutchfield, and once, when the latter groaned aloud, he directed the ambulance to stop and requested me to see if something could not be done for his relief. Torches had been provided, and every means taken to carry them to the hospital as safely and neatly as possible. I sat in the front part of the ambulance, with my finger resting upon the artery, above the wound, to arrest bleeding it if should occur. When I was recognized by acquaintances, and asked who was wounded, the General would tell me to say, "a Confederate officer." At one time he put his right hand upon my head and pulling my down to him, asked if Crutchfield was dangerously wounded. When answered "no, only painfully hurt," he replied, "I am glad it is no worse." In a few moments after, Crutchfield did the same thing, and when he was told that the general was very seriously wounded, he groaned and cried out, "Oh, my God!" It was for this that the General directed the ambulance to be halted, and requested that something should be done for C's relief.
     After reaching the hospital, he was placed in bed, covered with blankets and another drink of whiskey and water given him. Two hours and a half elapsed before sufficient reaction took place, to warrant an examination. At two o'clock Sunday morning, Surgeons Black, Walls and Coleman being present, I informed him that chloroform would be given him and his wounds examined. I told him that amputation would probably be required and asked if it was found necessary, whether it should be done at once. He replied promptly, "Yes, certainly' Doctor McGuire, do for me whatever you think best." Chloroform was then administered, and as he began to feel its effects, and its relief to the pain he was suffering, he exclaimed, "What an infinite blessing," and continued to repeat the word 'blessing," until he became insensible. The round ball, (such as I used for the smooth-bore Springfield musket) which had lodged under the skin, under the back of his right hand, was extracted first. It had entered the palm, about the middle of the hand and had fractured two of the bones. The left arm was then amputated, about two inches below the shoulder, very rapidly, and with slight loss of blood, the ordinary circular operation having been made. There were two wounds in this arm, the first and most serious was about three inches below the shoulder joint, the ball dividing the main artery, and fracturing the bone. The second was several inches in length; a ball having entered the outside of the forearm, an inch below the elbow, came out upon the opposite side, just above the wrist. Throughout the whole of the operation, and until all the dressings were applied, he continued insensible. Two or three slight wounds of the skin of his face received from the branches of trees, when his horse dashed through the woods, were dressed simply with isinglass plaster. About half past three o'clock Colonel (then Major) Pendleton, and Assistant Adjutant General, arriving at the hospital, and asked to see the General. He notated that Gen. Hill had been wounded, and that the troops were in great disorder. General Stuart was in command, and had sent him to see the General. At first, I declined to permit an interview, but the Colonel urged that the safety of the army and success of the cause depended upon his seeing him. When he entered the tent, the General said, "Well, Major, I am glad to see you, I thought you were killed." Pendleton briefly explained the condition of affairs, gave Stuart's message, and asked what should be done. Gen. Jackson was at once interested, and asked in his quick, rapid way, several questions. When they were answered, he remained silent for a moment, evidently trying to think. He contracted his brow, set his mouth, and for some moments was obliviously endeavoring to concentrate his thoughts. For a moment it was believer he had succeeded for his nostril dilated, and his eyes flashed its old fire, but it was only for a moment; his face relaxed again, and presently he answered very feebly and sadly, "I don't know-I can't tell; say to General Stuart he must do what he thinks best." Soon after this, he slept for several hours, and seemed to be doing well. The next morning he was free from pain and expressed him self sanguine of recovery. He sent his aid to camp Morrison, to inform his wife of his injuries, and to bring her at once to see him. The following note from General Lee, was read to him that morning by Capt. Smith. "I have just received your note, informing me that you were wounded. I cannot express my regret at the occurrence. Could I have directed events I should have chosen for the good of the country, to have been disabled in your stead. I congratulate you upon the victory which is due to your skill and energy." He replied, "General Lee should give the praise to God." About ten o'clock his right side began to pain him so much, that he asked me to examine it. He said he had injured it in falling from the litter the night before, and believed that he had stuck it against a stump of a sapling. No evidence of injury could be discovered by examination; the skin was not broke or bruised, and the lung performed, as far as I could tell, its proper functions. Some simple applications was recommended, in the belief that the pain would soon disappear.
     At this time, the battle was raging fearfully, and the sound of the cannon and musketry could be distinctly heard at the hospital. The General's attention was attracted to it from the first, and when the noise was at height, and indicated how fiercely the conflict was being carried on, he directed all of his attendants, except Captain Smith, to return to the battlefield, and attend to their different duties. By eight o'clock Sunday night, the pain in his side had disappeared, and in all respects he seemed to be doing well. He inquired minutely about the battle and the different troops engaged, and his face would light up with enthusiasm and interest, when told how this brigade acted, or that officer displayed conspicuous courage, and his head gave the peculiar shake from side to side, and he uttered his usual "good, good," with unwonted energy, when the gallant behavior of the "Stonewall Brigade" was alluded to. He said, "The men of that brigade will be, some day, proud to say to their children, 'I was one of the Stonewall Brigade." He disclaimed any right of his own to the name Stonewall, "It belongs to the Brigade and not me."
     This night he slept well and was free from pain. A message was received from General Lee the next morning directing me to remove the General to Guinea's Station, as soon as his condition would justify it, as there was some danger of capture by the Federals who were threatening to cross at Ely's Ford. In the meantime, to protect the hospital, some troops were sent to this point. The General objected to being moved, if in my opinion it would do him any injury. He said he had no objection to staying in a tent, and would prefer it if his wife, when she came, could find lodging in a neighboring house, "And if the enemy does come," he added, "I am not afraid them; I have always been kind to their wounded, and I am sure they will be kind to me." General Lee sent word again late that evening, that he must be moved if possible, and preparations were made to leave the next morning. I was directed to accompany and remain with him and my duties with the Corps, as Medical Director, were turned over to the Surgeon next in rank. General Jackson had previously declined to permit me to go with him to Guinea's because complaints had been so frequently made, of General officers, when wounded, carrying off with them, the Surgeon belonging to their commands. When informed of this order of the Commanding General, he said, "General Lee has always been very kind to me, and I thank him." Very early Tuesday morning, he was placed in an ambulance and started for Guinea's Station, and about eight o'clock that evening, he arrived at the Chandler House, where he remained till he died. Captain Hotckiss with a party of engineers, was sent in front to clear the road of wood, stone, etc., and to order the wagons out of the track to let the ambulance pass. The rough teamsters sometimes refused to move their loaded wagons out of the way for the ambulance, until told that it contained Jackson, and then, with all possible speed, they gave the way, and stood with hats off, and weeping as he went by. At Spottsylvania C.H., and along the whole route, men and women rushed to the ambulance, bringing all the poor delicacies they had and with tearful eyes they blessed him and prayed for his recovery. He bore the journey well, and was cheerful throughout the day. He talked freely about the late battle, and among other things, said that he had intended to endeavor to cut Federals off from the United States Ford and taking a position between them and the river, oblige them to attack him; and he added, with a smile, "My men fail to drive the enemy from a position; but they always fail to drive us away." He spoke of Rodes, and alluded in high terms to his magnificent behaviour on the field. Saturday evening, he hoped he would be promoted. He thought promotions from gallantry should be made at once, upon the field and not delayed; made very early, or upon the field, they would be the greatest incentives to gallantry in others. He spoke of Colonel Willis, * who commanded the skirmishers of Rodes' Division, and praised him very highly, and refered to the death of Paxton and Boswell very feelingly. He alluded to them as officers of great merit and promise. The day was quite warm, and one time suffered with slight nausea. At his suggested, I placed over his stomach a wet towel, and he expressed great relief from it. After he arrived at Chandler's house he eat some bread and tea with evidence relish and slept well throughout the entire night. Wednesday he was thought to be doing remarkably well. He ate heartily, for one in his condition, and was uniformly cheerful.
 I found his wounds to be doing very well to-day. Union by the first intention, had taken place, to some extent in the stump, and the rest of the surface of the ground exposed, was covered with healthy granulations. The wound in his hand gave him little pain, and the discharge was healthy. Simple splint and water dressings were used, both for the stump and hand, and upon the palm of the latter, a light, short splint was applied, to assist in keeping a rest the fragments of the second and third metacarpal bones. He espressed great satisfaction when told that is wounds were healing and asked if I could tell from their appearance, how long he would probably be kept from the field. Conversing with Capt. Smith, a few moments afterwards, he alluded to his injuries, and said, "Many would regard them as a great misfortune, I regard them as one of the blessings of my life." Capt. S replied, "All things work together for good to those that love God." "Yes," he answered, "that's it, that's it."
     At my request, Dr. Morrison came today and remained with him.
     About one o'clock Tuesday morning while I was asleep upon a lounge in his room, he directed his servant, Jim, to apply a wet towel to his stomach, to relieve an attack of nausea, with which he was again troubled. The servant asked permission to first consult me, but the General knowing that I had slept none, for nearly three nights, refused to allow the servant to disturb me, and demanded the towel. About daylight, I was aroused, and found him suffering great pain. An examination disclosed pleuropuenmonia of the right side. I believed, and the consulting physicians concurred in the opinion, that it was attributable to the fall from the litter the night he was wounded. The General, himself, referred it to this accident. I think the disease came on too soon after the application of the wet cloths, to admit of the supposition once believed that it was induced by them. The nausea, for which the cloths were applied that night, may have been the result of inflammation already begun. Contusion of the lung, with extravasation of blood in this chest, was probably produced by the fall referred to, and shock and loss of blood prevented an ill effects until reaction had been well established, and then inflammation ensued. Cups were applied, and mercury with antimony and opium, administered. Towards the evening, he became better, and hopes were again entertained of his recovery. Mrs. Jackson arrived today, and nursed him faithfully to the end. She was a devoted wife, and earnest Christian, and endeared us all to her by her great kindness and gentleness. The General's joy at the presence of his wife and child was very great, and for him unusually demonstrative. Noticing the sadness of his wife, he said to her tenderly, "I know you would gladly give your life for me, but I am perfectly resigned, Do not be sad; I hope I may yet recover. Pray for me, but always remember in prayers to use the petition, Thy will be done."  Friday his wounds were again dressed, and although the quality of the discharge from them has diminished, the process of healing was still going on. The pain in his side had disappeared, but he breathed with difficulty and complained of a feeling of great exhaustion. When Dr. Breckinridge (who with Dr. Smith had been sent for in consultation) said he hoped that a blister, which had been applied, would afford him relief, he expressed his own confidence in it, and in his final recovery.
     Dr. Tucker from Richmond, arrived on Saturday, and all that human skill could devise was done, to stay the hand of death. He suffered no pain today, and his breathing was less difficult, but he was evidently hourly growing weaker.
     When his child was brought to him today, he played with it for some time; frequently caressing it, and calling it his "little comforter." At one time, he raised his wounded hand above its head, and closing his eyes, was for some moments, silently engaged in prayer. He said to me, "I see from the number of Physicians, that you think my condition dangerous, but I thank God, if it is His will, that I am ready to go." About daylight, on Sunday morning, Mrs. Jackson informed him that his recovery was very doubtful, and that it was better that he should be prepared for the worst. He was silent for a moment, and then said, "It will be infinite gain to be translated to Heaven." He advised his wife, in the event of his death, to return to her father's house, and added, "You have a kind and good father, but there is no one so kind and good as your Heavenly father." He still expressed a hope of his recovery, but requested her, if he should die to have him buried in Lexington in the Valley of Virginia. His exhaustion increased so rapidly, that at eleven o'clock, Mrs. Jackson knelt by his bed, and told him that before the Sun went down, he would be with his Saviour. He replied "Oh, no! ? are frightened my child; death is not so near; I may yet get well." She fell over upon the bed, weeping bitterly, and told him again that the Physicians said there was no hope.. After a moment's pause he asked her to call me. "Doctor, Anna informs me that you have told her, that I am to die today' is it so?" When he answered, he turned his eyes towards the ceiling, and gazed for a moment or two as if in intense though then replied, "Very good, very good, it is all right." He then tried to comfort his almost hear-broken wife, and told her he had a good deal to day to her, but he was too weak. Colonel Pendleton came into the room about one o'clock, and he asked him, "Who was preaching at headquarters today?" When told that the whole army was praying for him, he replied, "Thank God-they are very kind." He said: "It is the Lord's day; my wish is fulfilled. I have always desired to die on Sunday."
     His mind now began to fail and wander, and he frequently talked as if in command upon the field, giving orders in his old way; then the scene shifted, and he was at the mess-table, in conversation with members of his staff; now with his military family. Occasional intervals of his mind would appear, and during one of them, I offered him some brandy and water, but he declined it, saying "It will only delay my departure, and do no good; I want to preserve my mind, if possible, to the last." About half past one, he was told that he had but two hours to live, and he answered again, feebly, but firmly, 'Very good, it is all right." A few moments before he died, he cried out in his delirium, "Order A.P. Hill to prepare for action! Pass the infantry to the front rapidly! Tell Major Hawks"-then stopped, leaving the sentence unfinished. Presently, a smile of ineffable sweetness spread itself over his pale face, and he said quietly, and an expression as if of relief, "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees," and then without pain, or the least struggle, his spirit passed from earth to God who gave it.  [Date: 1863, Richmond Medical Journal -- Submitted by Sandra Wright]

Kee Family
The family of Kaye in England, which may also be said to be KEE the family of Kee in England, is, says an old statement, "of great antiquity in the county of Yorkshire, being descended from Sir Kaye. an ancient Briton, and one of the knights of the warlike table of the noble Prince Arthur, flower of chivalry." It is added that his descendants at the period of the "Norman Duke that made the Conquest of England included Sir John Kaye, knight, who married the daughter and heir of Sir John Woodesham, of Woodesham, knight, an ancient Briton." This assertion of course borders on the fantastic. Not to speculate upon the age in round centuries, that Miss Woodesham must have been at the time of her nuptials, it is clear that there was never a De Woodesham or a De anything in Britain "before the time of the Conquest," when this match is alleged to have taken place. The truth seems to be that at Woodesham in Yorkshire there resided in early times, since the establishment of surnames, a family of the name of Kay, Kee, or Kaye, the head of which some centuries later was created a baronet by Charles I. The patent expired in 1810, but was revived shortly afterwards in favor of the reputed son of the fifth baronet. The name may in some cases in England be a modification of Caius or some other personal designation. Dr. Caius or Kaye advanced Gonville Hall. Cambridge University, England, to the dignity of a college in 1557, and that house is still called indifferently Caius or Keys. He had a contemporary, Dr. Thomas Kay or Cains, who was master of University College, Oxford, England. In the vast majority of cases in America the name Kee is simply MacKee, McKee, with the Me or Mac, which should always be written in full. Me being erroneous orthography, curtailed. The Irish or Scotch MacKee, usually written McKee, is really a form of MacHugh, MacKey and Magee, all anglicised forms of the Gaelic MacAodh, meaning the "son of Hugh." The ancestor of this family was Amhailgath, brother of Flaitheartach, who is No. 112 on the pedigree of the Maguires, Princes of Fermanagh. The arms of the Key family: argent, two bendlets sable. Crest: a griffin's head, erased argent, holding in the beak a key, or. The motto is "Faithful more faithful."
     (I) Colonel John Kee lived in Lewis county, Virginia, and was for nearly forty years assessor of Lewis county, being an incumbent in office at the time of his death. He was a private in the Union army during the civil war, but before the close of the war received a commission. He was a Democrat in politics.

     (II) Jasper N., son of Colonel John Kee, was born in 1844, and was for twenty-four years county clerk of Gilmer county, West Virginia. He lived all these years at Glenville, where the county house was situated, and is now retired. He is a very prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also a member of the Knights of Pythias. He has been a frequent member of the grand lodge of both orders. He is a Democrat in politics, and a Methodist in religion. He married Louisa J. Campbell, born in 1847. Both Mr. and Mrs. Jasper N. Kee recently celebrated their forty-seventh wedding anniversary. Children of Jasper N. and Louisa J. (Campbell) Kee: William, married Julia, daughter of Louis S. Reed, of Gilmer county; Harriet, married Elliot Chenoweth, of Grantsville, Calhoun county. West Virginia; Dee, married Watt Warren, of Parkersburg, West Virginia, now editor of Braxton Central, Sutton, West Virginia; John, of whom further; Alice, married Everet Palmer, of Washington, D. C., died at St. Louis, Missouri ; Edrie, now at home, Glenville. West Virginia; Odessa, married Orville Flesher, of Grafton, West Virginia; Jasper N. of whom further.

     (III) John (2), son of Jasper N. and Louisa J. (Campbell) Kee, was born in Glenville, West Virginia, August 22, 1874. He was educated at the common schools and graduated at the State Normal School at Glenville, West Virginia, in his sixteenth year. In 1890 he became deputy county clerk of Gilmer county, West Virginia, and remained in that position until the year 1898, when he entered the law department of West Virginia University at Morganstown, and in 1899 commenced the practice of law at Glenville. The same year he engaged with the legal department of the South Pennsylvania Oil Company to accept an appointment, and remained with them for four years. In 1902 he joined with Henry H. Rogers to take charge of the right of way department of the Virginian Railway Company from Kanawha river to the Atlantic Ocean at Norfolk, West Virginia, four hundred and forty-two miles in length and built at a cost of $45,000,000.00. He remained with the Virginian Railway Company after completing the purchasing of their right of way, as assistant attorney, until 1910. In that year he resigned to take up the practice of his profession at Bluefield, West Virginia, where he is in full practice. He was the nominee for prosecuting attorney of Mercer county on the Democratic ticket in 1912. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and at present is a past exalted ruler of the Elks at Bluefield, West Virginia, and a member of the law committee of the state association of Elks. The membership of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks lodge in Bluefield, West Virginia, consists of a fine body of men. They number about seven hundred and fifty and are known all over the state as highly progressive and up-to-date. They own among other things the Elks Opera House, worth one hundred and twenty thousand dollars.

     (Ill) Jasper N. (2), son of Jasper N. (1) and Louisa J. (Campbell) Kee, was born in Glenville, West Virginia, June 14, 1887. He was educated first in the common schools and entered the State Normal School in 1903 at Glenville, West Virginia. He graduated in 1907 and entered the law department of the State University at Morgantown, West Virginia. He graduated in 1910 and is now associated with his brother, John Kee, mentioned above, in law practice. Jasper N. Kee Jr. is a member of the Bluefield baseball team, and was for two years first baseman on the University baseball team. He was a member of the track team at the University and in 1911 was coach for the State Normal team at Glenville, West Virginia. He is a Democrat in politics.  [Source: West Virginia and Its People, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Lewis County, whose pioneers made a brilliant record in the Revolution and Indian wars which succeeded it, was appropriately named for Colonel Charles Lewis. Of all the Indian fighters of Virginia he was perhaps the most intrepid in time of danger, the most tireless in pursuit and the most skillful in planning a campaign. He had no peer among the scouts on the border. Fifty years after his death there were few families in Northwestern Virginia in which the name and deeds of Charles Lewis were not familiar household words.

Colonel Lewis, like most of the people of western Virginia, was of Scotch-Irish descent. He was born in Virginia a short time after the emigration of his parents to the New World in 1730. In 1733 his father settled near the present site of Staunton in what is now August County, Virginia. The pioneer home of the Lewises was then on the most western frontier of Virginia, and the primeval forests surrounded it on every side. Young Charles Lewis during his early life was insured to the perils and hardships of the wilderness. From the earliest recollections he had been taught to fear and hate the Indians. As soon as he was old enough he entered the service of the Virginia colony against the French and Indians, and it is said that from the time of his first enlistment until the date of his death he was never out of the service a whole year. In the French and Indian war, he was regarded as one of the most promising young officers in the Virginia service. When Lord Dunmore led his expedition against the Ohio Indians Charles Lewis was in command of one of the regiments in the army of his brother, General Andrew Lewis.

When the Virginia army was surprised by the Indians at Point Pleasant Colonel Lewis informed his men hastily, and without taking time to remove the red coat which he was wearing, he led his men to repel the assault. His conspicuous dress made him an easy target for the Indian marksmen, and he fell mortally wounded at the first onset. Against his will he was removed to his tent where he expired within a few hours.

Withers, in his "Border Warfare", pays the following tribute to the hero of the battle of Point Pleasant; "Few officers were ever more, or more deservedly, endeared to those under their command than Col. Charles Lewis. In the many skirmishes, which it was his fortune to have with the Indians he was uncommonly successful; and in the various scenes of life, thro' which he passed, his conduct was invariably marked by the distinguished characteristics of a mind, of no ordinary stamp. His early fall on this bloody field, was severely felt during the whole engagement; and to it has been attributed the partial advantages gained by the Indian army near the commencement of the action.

(Source: A History of Pendleton County, West Virginia, 1910, page 436-437 - Contributed by Robin Line)

Robert George Linn, LL.B.
Mr. Linn, one ofthe leading lawyersof the Kanawha>Bar, son ofRobert Linn, who was also a lawyerofprominence, was born at Glenville, Gilmer County, Virginia,April 6, 1849, received his education at Witherspoon Institute, Butler, Pennsylvania, and the Cincinnati Law School, from which well known College ofLaw he graduated in April 1870, receiving the degree ofBachelor ofLaws; the same year he was licensed to practice at the Gilmer County Bar;was elected Prosecuting Attorney ofthat county in October 1870 andserved two years; was attentive to his public duties andserved efficiently for the full term. In 1872 he was elected Prosecuting Attorneyof the adjoining county of Calhoun; became a resident of Grantsville, Calhoun County,andremained there until March 1, 1884, when he returned to Gilmer County, where he continued to reside until 1900, when he located permanently in Charleston, the capital of the State. He married Miss Mary Hamilton, of Weston, Lewis County, June 12, 1876. Eight children resulted from this marriage, twoofwhom are deceased. A son, Robert, who graduated from the law department of the West Virginia University in the class of 1906, is a member of his father's present law firm.
Mr. Linn from early manhood has been an untiring worker, and his practice has been of a general character andhas been spread out over several contiguous counties. He had several branch law firms; for example, the one in Braxton County, for several years was Linnand Byrne; in Gilmer County the firm for eleven years was Linn and Withers; in Lewis County, Linn and Brannon; in Calhoun, Linn and Hamilton ; and in Charleston since 1889 the law firm is Linn and Byrne. In the earlier years of his practice it was his custom to attend the terms of court in several counties wherein he maintained partnerships and assist in the trial of important causes, but since his location at Charleston the business of his present firm has become so extensive that he seldom attends court sessions in any of the counties wherein he formerly had an extensive practice He is an able, ingenuous trial lawyerand handles his cases skilfully,and generally successfully; consequently he maintains a large clientage. He is never short of business, and he may be found in his office at all reasonable hours, except when engaged in court sessions.
Moreover, he is careful, clear headed and thorough in his work. He is thoroughly grounded in the lawanddevotes special care to the preparation ofhis pleadings. He is a man of marked courage, and yet is fair and courteous. His forceofwill andself-reliance are far above the average andhis integrity is equal to his accuracy. He asks no favors andfears no adversary. He is strong in bodyandmind. In politics he is a Democrat, but he is much moreofa lawyer than a politician. He never aspired to any office, except positions strictly in the lineofhis profession. As we have stated above, he was six years Prosecuting Attorneyoftwo different counties,andin 1916 he was vigorously pressed as a candidate for Circuit Judge of the Kanawha Circuit, a place he was well qualified to fill, but failed to secure the nomination. Had he been chosen he would have honored both theBench andthe Bar.
Mr. Linn is a member ofthe Presbyterian Church. He is both upright andreliable in allofhis dealings. Since writing the above Mr. Linn died, May 13, 1919.  [ Bench and bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Linn Family
History discloses the fact that this Linn family came from good old Scotch-Irish ancestry, and that among its scions were revolutionary soldiers, eminent judges, attorneys, physicians and politicians, of much more than the ordinary ability and influence, especially in the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the Virginias, and Missouri. Later generations intermarried with the New England family of Newcombs; hence the following narrative will treat, to some extent of both families, which include the well known attorney-at-law in West Virginia and Charleston, Robert G. Linn.

(I) Joseph Linn, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born in 1725, and died April 8, 1800. He married Martha Kirkpatrick, a native of the city of Belfast, Ireland, born in 1728; died March 7, 1791, daughter of Andrew Kirkpatrick. Joseph Linn was an adjutant in the Second Regiment of Sussex Militia, of Virginia, during the revolutionary struggle, Aaron Hankinson being the colonel. Joseph and Martha (Kirkpatrick) Linn had four sons and four daughters:

1. Alexander, born in 1753, married Hannah, daughter of Nathan and Uphamy (Wright) Armstrong.

2. David, married Sarah, daughter of Brigadier-General Aaron Hankinson, and they had eight children among whom were: Alexander, married and removed to Ohio; Mattie, married Jacob Shepherd: Polly, unmarried; Margaret, married a Mr. Shepherd; Aaron, married Eliza Hankinson, and settled in Finleyville, Pennsylvania.

3. Andrew, mentioned below.

4. Margaret, married Hon. Joseph Gaston, paymaster of the Sussex Militia, during revolutionary war days.

5. Mary.

6. Ann, married Jacob Hull.

7. Martha, married (first) Isaac Schaeffer, (second) Joseph Desmond; she died in 1830, and was buried at Sandusky, Ohio; the Rev. Isaac Desmond was her son.

8. John, married in 1791, Martha Hunt, daughter of Lieutenant Richard Hunt; children: Elizabeth, married Rev. Edward Allen; Sarah, married Nathan Armstrong Shafer; Andrew, married Isabelle Beardslee; Mary Ann, married Rev. Benjamin I. Lowe; Caroline, married Dr. Roderick Byington; Alexander, a doctor at Deckertown, married Julia Vibbert; William H., who was also a physician. The father of these children, John Linn, was appointed to the court of common pleas of Sussex County, Virginia, in 1805, serving until his death in 1823. He was twice a member of congress and died at Washington, D. C., during his second term. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church at Hardyston.

(II) Andrew, son of Joseph Linn, was born in 1759, and died in 1799. He studied medicine at Log Goal. He married Ann Carnes, of Blandensburg, Maryland, and they were the parents of five children: 1. Robert, mentioned below. 2. Margaret, married Major William T. Anderson, of Newton. 3. Mary, married David Ryerson. 4. Martha, married (first) Hugh Taylor, and (second) Richard R. Morris, of New York. 5. Alexander, settled at Easton, Pennsylvania.

(III) Robert, son of Andrew Linn, was born April 20, 1781. He probably came to Virginia from Pennsylvania about 1810, and located in what was then Harrison County, now in Marion County, West Virginia, where he died September 9, 1834. He was by occupation a farmer and miller. He married Catherine Lyon, born in Pennsylvania, October 18, 1788. He and his family resided at Linn's Mills. Children: Mary Jane, married Smith M. Hensill, and died in Portland, Oregon; Priscilla, married Newton Maxwell; Nancy, married Newton's brother, Milton Maxwell, of Butler, Pennsylvania; Sarah, married Isaac Courtney; Louisa, married Dr. John T. Cooper, of Parkersburg; Benjamin, married Sarah Shriver; and Robert, mentioned below.

(IV) Robert (2), son of Robert (1) and Catherine (Lyon) Linn, was born in Marion County, West Virginia, while it was yet within Old Virginia, December 27, 1813, and died December 7, 1860. He studied law in the office of Hon. Edgar C. Wilson, of Morgantown, Virginia, and was subsequently admitted to the bar at Pruntytown, Taylor county, in 1846; later he practiced law in Gilmer County, West Virginia. For four terms in succession he served as prosecuting attorney, having been elected on the Whig ticket, and he was serving in that office at the date of his death. He held other offices of trust and importance, in which he served with faithfulness and much ability. He was among the best known men of his section and bore the esteem of all with whom he came in contact. Mr. Linn was an elder in the Presbyterian church. He married in Fairmont, West Virginia, Sophronia S. Newcomb, born in Greenfield, Massachusetts, in 1816, daughter of Ebenezer (2) and Sophronia (Smith) Newcomb (see Newcomb VI). She was a woman of rare intelligence and refinement, and a lifelong worker in the Presbyterian church. She was only two years of age, when her family removed to Fairmont: hence her life was largely spent in what is now West Virginia, and she died in August, 1890. Children: 1. Mary S., born September 21, 1841, married Newton B. Bland, who died in March, 1896; she died January 28, 1910, leaving three children: Robert Linn Bland, now an attorney at Weston, West Virginia, who married and has four children; George Linn Bland, assistant cashier of the Citizen's National Bank of Weston; Hattie, of Weston, West Virginia. 2. Nancy Catherine Lyon, born May 3, 1845, married Marion T. Brannon, of Glenville, West Virginia; she has three living children: Hon. Linn Brannon, ex-judge of the circuit court; Alice, of Fairmont; Howard R., a bank cashier of Glenville. 3. Robert G., mentioned below.

(V) Robert G., son of Robert (2) and Sophronia (Newcomb) Linn, was born April 6, 1849, at Glenville, West Virginia (then Virginia) and was reared and educated as most youths of his time were, commencing in the common schools and later at Witherspoon Institute. When eighteen years of age, he became assistant clerk in the circuit clerk's office, at Clarksburg, where he remained three years. In 1869 he entered the Cincinnati Law School, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in 1870. His instructors at law school were Ex-Governor Hoadley, Bellamy Storer, and H. A. Morrill. After his graduation he took up law practice at Glenville, the town of his birth, where he became prosecuting attorney, serving one term. He was two years in Gilmer county, and twelve in Calhoun county, West Virginia, where he served two years as prosecuting attorney. He then returned to Glenville, in March, 1884, and remained there until 1900, being associated in law with Hon. John S. Withers. In 1900 he went to Charleston, Kanawha County, this state, where he now resides and practices his profession. He has been associated, as partner in law business in Charleston, with George Byrne, now of the Manufacturers' Record, and also with William E. R. Byrne, his present law partner, having also his son, Robert Linn, as a member of the firm. Mr. Linn maintains offices at Sutton, Weston and Glenville, this state, having partners in each locality. From 1873 to 1907, he had for a partner, Hon. John M. Hamilton, with offices at Grantsville, Calhoun County. It goes almost without saying that Mr. Linn has to do with much of the important legal business in this section of West Virginia, having so many sub-offices, the important cases pass through his hands for final investigation. Politically, he is a Democrat. In religious faith, he is of the Presbyterian Church. In fraternal connections, he is numbered among the members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Glenville.

He married at Weston, West Virginia, June 12, 1876, Mary Hamilton, who was born, reared and educated at that place. Her parents were Dr. J. M. and Mary (Lorentz) Hamilton, her mother being the daughter of John, and the granddaughter of Jacob Lorentz, of pioneer fame in this state. John Lorentz married Mary Roger; both are now deceased. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Linn, probably not in order of birth, were: 1. Ernest, died young. 2. George, died June 22, 1908, while a law student at the University of West Virginia. 3. Edna, born June 25, 1878, educated at Wilson College, Pennsylvania; taught in normal schools, is now at home. 4. Mary, born April 25, 1880, educated at the Normal School of Glenville, West Virginia, and Hollister Seminary, Roanoke. Virginia, now at home. 5. Harriet, born March 30, 1884; graduated first in high school, then from the Glenville Normal School, and later as a trained nurse at Washington, D. C. 6. Robert, born July 25. 1882, graduated at the law school of the University of West Virginia, in the class of 1906, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws; was admitted to the bar the same year, and has been associated in law business with his father, at Charleston, ever since. 7. Ruth, born October 25, 1886, is fitting herself as a trained nurse, at Washington, D. C. 8. John Hamilton, born December 6, 1892, now in high school.

(The Newcomb Line).

As above referred to, the Linn and Newcomb families are intermarried, and this fragment of the Newcomb genealogy naturally finds a place here:

(I) Francis Newcomb, born in England, 1605, came to the American colonies, 1635, with his wife, whose name was Rachel.

(II) Peter, son of Francis and Rachel Newcomb, was born in Braintree, Massachusetts, March 16, 1648; married, April, 1672, Susanna Cutting, daughter of Richard Cutting, of Watertown, Massachusetts.

(III) Jonathan, son of Peter and Susanna (Cutting) Newcomb, was born in Braintree, Massachusetts, March 1, 1685, married Deborah; and their children included Benjamin, of whom below.

(IV) Benjamin, son of Jonathan and Deborah ââ Newcomb, was born at Braintree, Massachusetts, April 9, 1719, removed to Norton, Massachusetts, and died in 1801. He married, November 24, 1743, Mary, daughter of John and Mercy Everett, of Dedham.

(V) Rev. Ebenezer Newcomb, son of Benjamin and Mary (Everett) Newcomb, was born at Norton, Massachusetts, in November, 1754; he was a carpenter by trade, also a farmer and a Baptist minister. He fought in the war for national independence, being a member of Captain A. Clapp's company. He died February 13, 1829. He married Wealthy Willis, February 23, 1779, and she died May 11, 1818.

(VI) Ebenezer (2), son of the Rev. Ebenezer (1) and Wealthy (Willis) Newcomb, was born October 22, 1785; was a carpenter, and cabinet maker. He removed from Greenfield, Massachusetts, to Fairmont, Virginia, now in West Virginia, where he died in 1859. He married Sophronia Smith, born December 24, 1792. Their daughter, Sophronia, born December 6, 1816, died in August, 1890. She was a native of Deerfield, Massachusetts, came to Virginia, with her parents when two years of age; she married Robert (2) Linn and became the mother of Robert G. Linn (see Linn V).  [West Virginia and Its People, Volume 2 By Thomas Condit Miller, Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Maxwell Family
Few families of Scotland have won greater renown or figured more prominently in national annals than that of Maxwell; and yet there is every reason to believe that in its origin the race is Saxon rather than Celtic, the ancestor being Maccus, son of Anlaf, King of Northumberland in the middle of the tenth century. On the downfall of the Saxon monarchy and the accession of William of Normandy, in 1066, many of the prominent Saxons fled across the border into Scotland with Edgar Atheling the heir of the old Saxon royal house. In the new home they were protected and favored, and under Wallace and the Bruces, the Maxwells greatly distinguished themselves. The earldoms of Farnham, Dirletoun and Nithsdale (all now dormant through attainder or failure of issue) as well as numerous baronies and lordships have been theirs. Loyal to the Stuart kings in prosperity or defeat, one of the family, Thomas Maxwell served in King James' army in the Irish revolt of 1691, and remained in Ireland, settling in Tyrone. A descendant of his, John Maxwell, came to New Jersey and located in Warren county, in 1747. He was the father of Brigadier-General William Maxwell, of revolutionary fame, and tradition further says that the West Virginia Maxwells sprang from the same source. Documentary verification of this belief has not been obtainable, but there is no reason to question it.

(I) The earliest direct ancestor known was Thomas Maxwell, of Pennsylvania, who married, about 1785, Jane, born in Pennsylvania, July 17, 1767, daughter of Alexander and Mary (Smith) Lewis. Thomas was, perhaps, son of Robert and Elizabeth Maxwell, of Chester county, who died about 1792. Thomas Maxwell died in 1796 while on a preliminary trip to West Virginia, preparatory to removing his family thither. The particulars of his death were never known. Three years later his widow with her six children removed to the present Harrison county and later to Lewis county, where she died, October 20, 1835. Their children were: 1. Abner, of whom further. 2. Levi, born July 25, 1788; resided near Weston; died November 13, 1884, leaving six children. 3. Lewis, born 1790; a surveyor and the most extensive landholder in the region; a man of no small prominence in his day; serving in congress as a Whig, 1827-33; died near Weston, 1865, having been twice married but leaving no children. 4. Robert, born February 19, 1791; lived in Ohio and in Harrison county, Virginia, where he died February 5, 1849; was three times married, having ten children, all by first wife. 5. Amy, born August 27, 1799; married John Peck, of Ohio, and died in that state, May 23, 1847. 6. Mary, married (first) John Swisher, (second) Hawley.

(II) Abner, eldest child of Thomas and Jane (Lewis) Maxwell, was born in Pennsylvania, 1785. He was captain of a Harrison county company in the war of 1812; resided for a time in Clarksburg, but his last years were spent near West Union, Doddridge county, West Virginia, where he died in 1864. He married (first) Susan Davidson, and (second) Judith Modisette. There were five children by the first wife, and seven by the second: Marshall, born 1811; Franklin, of whom further; Mary, 1816, wife of A. W. Flucky; Levi, 1819; William, 1821; Frances Jane, died 1904, wife of Archibald Lowther, of Goose Creek; Lewis, born 1831, a resident of Pullman and Glenville; Charles, of Summers; Amy M., who became Mrs. Asa Coplin; Abner M.; James; Robert, of Doddridge county.

(III) Franklin, second son of Abner and Susan (Davidson) Maxwell, was born in 1813. His life was spent in Doddridge county, West Virginia. Much of the landed estate of his uncle, Hon. Lewis Maxwell, fell to his share. It is said he helped many a poor man to a home by permitting him to live on his land and giving him almost his own time in paying, provided he was honest and industrious. He had no patience with dishonesty or laziness. He died at his home near West Union, July 4, 1894. He married Frances Reynolds, in 1840, and to them were born ten children: Leman; Lewis; Porter; Rector; William Brent; Harriet P., wife of G. W. Brown; Mary Martha, born 1855, died 1860; Franklin Post, born 1857, died 1880; Frances Jane, became Mrs. B. C. Bland; Susan Alice, born 1861, died 1883.

(IV) William Brent, son of Franklin and Frances Jane (Runnels) Maxwell, was born in Doddridge county, Virginia, now West Virginia, April 27, 1850. He attended the common schools of Pruntytown. Originally his business was stock farming, and he still owns a farm in Harrison and Doddridge counties. Mr. Maxwell organized the Traders' Bank at Buchanan in 1892, but sold out the following year, organizing the West Union Bank at West Union, Doddridge county, of which he is still president. He has also been president of the Union National Bank of Clarksburg since its organization. He is connected with the American National Bank of Richmond, Virginia; is stockholder in the Exchange Bank of Weston and the Parkersburg National Bank. In politics Mr. Maxwell is a Democrat. He was justice of the peace in Doddridge county. He married (first) in 1884, Emma B. Williams, a native of Harrison county; (second) in 1895, Lillie Jarvis, daughter of Lemuel Davidson Jarvis, at one time sheriff of Harrison county. Children, first two by first wife: Susan Alice, Claude, Ruth Frances, Franklin J., William B., Martha L.

(IV) Porter, son of Franklin (q. v.) and Frances MAXWELL (Reynolds) Maxwell, was born in Doddridge county, Virginia, April 4, 1843. He now resides on the old Maxwell homestead in Harrison county, West Virginia, his post office being Lost Creek, his farm being on the county line. He is an active, aggressive Democrat. He married Virginia Columbia Post, born near Buckhannon, Upshur county, Virginia; died April 2, 1904, aged forty-eight years. Children: 1. Franklin P., born 1869; lives at Buckhannon, a farmer. 2. Isaac H., born 1871 ; lives at Lost Creek, a farmer. 3. Lee, of whom further. 4. Hattie, born in 1876, wife of Hugh Jarvis. 5. Carrie V., born 1878, wife of Judge Haymond Maxwell, of Clarksburg. 6. Clay, born 1880; lives on the old Colonel A. W. Woodford farm, near Weston, Lewis county, a farmer by occupation. 7. Emma, born 1883; unmarried, at home with her father. 8. Blanche, born 1889, at home. The grandfather, Isaac Post, lived near Buckhannon on a farm, and died about 1905, aged eighty-one years.

(V) Lee, son of Porter and Virginia C. (Post) Maxwell, was born November 15, 1873, in Harrison county, West Virginia, on the old Maxwell homestead, on Buckhannon Pike, where the father still resides, in the evening of life. Lee received a good education at the common schools, at Buckhannon Seminary and at the academy. He aided his father on the farm until twenty-five years of age, when he went for himself, but still assists his father. His own place is three and a half miles from Clarksburg, to the southwest. He is a stockholder in the Clarksburg Fair Association. He votes the Democratic ticket and was elected to the office of county commissioner, November 8, 1910, and is still in office. The family are members of the Methodist Protestant church, and he is an intelligent citizen of his county. He married, at Peel Tree, Barbour county, West Virginia, February 9, 1899, Bopeep Katherine Smith, born at Peel Tree, October 4, 1879, daughter of Dr. Isaac Smith, now practicing at Peel Tree. Her mother was Lucy (Keyser) Smith, born at Bridgeport. Dr. Smith was born at Harrisonburg, Virginia. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell: Columbia May, February 8, 1901; Porter Smith, September 9, 1906.
[Source: GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL OF THE Upper Monongahela Valley, WV Vol. III; By James Morton Callahan; Edited by Bernard L. Butcher; Publ. 1912; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

George Elmore Rohrbough
Between the mountains of West Virginia and the mountains of Colorado there may not be much difference in appearance, but there is as wide a difference in climate and agricultural conditions as there is distance in space between the two regions, as George Elmore Rohrbough has learned by practical experience.  Yet he illustrates forcibly that a man of capacity and real grit is not deterred from success by circumstances and conditions, but is able to win success anywhere if he have a fair chance to use his abilities.  He was born in Lewis county, West Virginia, on January 10, 1873, and is the son of George M. and Louisa (Brake) Rohrbough, who were born and reared in that state.  They moved to Illinois in 1881 and located in Marion county, but a year later returned to their native state, and after passing some years in merchandising turned their attention again to farming, in which they have been successful.  The father is a zealous Republican and a member of the Masonic order, and both parents are Methodists.  Seven of their eight children are living:  William Lawrence; Mary E., now Mrs. L. B. Chidester; Gertrude I., now Mrs. Luther L. Castro; Howard Freeman, Elsie Eva, George Elmore, and Oswald J.  A daughter named Blanch died at the age of fourteen.  All the living reside at Buckhannon, West Virginia, except Oswald, who lives at Belington, West Virginia, and George, who lives at Aspen, this state.  He was educated in the public schools of Upshur county in his native state, completing the common and high-school courses and afterward being graduated at the West Virginia Conference Seminary.  He began teaching school at the age of seventeen, and devoted four years to the work in Upshur county and one in Harrison county.  In 1894 he came to Colorado and located at Aspen.  Here he again taught school, continuing his work in this line until 1901, when he bought the ranch on which he now lives, four miles west of the town and comprising one hundred and sixty acres, the great part of which produces good crops of hay and grain.  He is also interested in raising cattle and horses, and in all his efforts is measurably successful.  As a member of the order of Odd Fellows he takes an active interest in the fraternal life of the community, and as a zealous Republican devotes a commendable energy to the promotion of its political welfare according to his views of public matters.  On August 25, 1896, he united in marriage with Miss Maud Lynch, a native of Harrison county, West Virginia, and daughter of Peter and Virginia A. (Elliott) Lynch, also natives of that state, where they are successfully engaged in farming and raising stock.  They are both Methodists, and have reared a family of thirteen children, Tillman D., Truman J., Waitman E., Florence; George G., Etta Maud (Mrs. Rohrbough), Charles L., Mollie, Willie, Clarence, Bertha, Howard and Mabel.  Mr. and Mrs. Rohrbough have had five children, one of whom died in infancy.  Those living are Jay Keating, Elmore, Lynn, George and Irwin.  The parents are Methodists and are active in all the benevolent works of their church.  (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks) 

John S. Woofter
     There is probably no man in Creek County (Oklahoma) whose word and counsel are more esteemed in business and public affairs than John S. Woofter, who is secretary and treasurer of the Hammett Oil Company of Sapulpa. He is one of Sapulpa's leading business men, and particularly in republican politics is well known all over the state.
     He was born near Auburn, West Virginia, October 25, 1860, a son of Andrew and Mary (Simpson) Woofter. His paternal grandparents came from Holland, first settled in New Jersey and afterwards on a farm in West Virginia. Sheriff Woofter's parents were born near Weston, West Virginia, and died there, the father at the age of eighty and the mother at seventy-eight. They died within three months of each other. They were substantial farming people and Andrew Woofter was a man of considerable prominence in his home county, where he served as county assessor and in several other positions of trust. In the family were six sons and two daughters: T. J., now deceased; George A., a minister of the Baptist Church at Bridgeport, West Virginia; Sarah, wife of Joshua Adams of Harrisville, West Virginia; Francis A., a farmer at Millett, Texas; Columbia, wife of F. M. Bush of Auburn, West Virginia; Clark, of Parkersburg, West Virginia; John S.; and Ellet of Charleston, West Virginia.
     John S. Woofter lived on the West Virginia farm where he was born until he was seventeen years of age. He received an average education and for several years was a teacher himself. His first business experience was as a salesman in a wholesale grocery firm, but in 1903 he went to Texas, and became identified with the Beaumont Oil District. Since then he has been continuously identified with the oil industry in one capacity or other. In 1904 he moved to Houston, Texas, and since 1907 has been a resident of Sapulpa. He is now secretary and treasurer of the Hammett Oil Company, of which C. E. Barrett is president and W. W. Fondrew of Houston is vice president. This company has some valuable oil leases and is doing a good deal to develop and operate in the Oklahoma oil belt. Mr. Woofter is an expert accountant, and has given his services in that capacity to several business firms in Oklahoma and elsewhere.
     For five years he served as treasurer of the Sapulpa School Board, and in the primaries of 1916 he received the largest vote of any man in Sapulpa for re-election to same office. In September, 1915, when the Creek County sheriff was temporarily suspended for investigation and exonerated, Mr. Woofter was appointed to the vacancy by the court, and he attracted a good deal of attention by his efficiency and vigor in cleaning up Sapulpa. During his first two weeks in office he destroyed liquor and gambling outfits to the value of about eleven thousand dollars. He served about five weeks.
     Mr. Woofter is a republican, has served for several years on the state committee, and in 1910 was nominated at the primaries for clerk of the proposed Superior Court of Creek County, though the election never came off, since the court was not granted owing to lack of sufficient population. Mr. Woofter is a member of the Baptist Church, in Masonry has attained the thirty-second degree of Scottish Rite and belongs to the Mystic Shrine, and for two years was patron of the Chapter of the Eastern Star. He is also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Loyal Order of Moose and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is past exalted ruler of Sapulpa Lodge No. 1118, and represented this lodge in the convention at Portland in 1912.
At the time of statehood Mr. Woofter was chosen as one of the committee of three to locate the county seat at Sapulpa and provide for the issue of bonds to the amount of one hundred and forty-five thousand dollars to construct the present courthouse. Everywhere he is known he enjoys esteem and confidence for his business ability and integrity, has frequently been consulted in regard to business deals, and has served as receiver for several oil companies. In 1914 he was on the republican ticket at the preferential primaries in Oklahoma as candidate for state examiner and inspector.  [Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by B. Ziegenmeyer]

Back to West Virginia Genealogy Trails

Genealogy Trails National Site