Welcome to West Virginia Genealogy Trails!
Points of Historical Interest in West Virginia

Mason County - "Lost Colony"
One of America's first ghost towns...
The point in Mason county located at the following GPS [N 38° 46.006 -- W 082° 00.380] was the site of George Washington's Lost Colony. In 1772, Washington patented 10,990 acres on the Great Kanawha and in 1775 sent a colony to Leon under the leadership of James Cleveland and William Stevens. Land was cleared, orchards were planted and houses were built, but the colony broke up for unknown reasons and was abandoned. The land was still owned by Washington at the time of this death in 1799.


Mineral County - Fort Ashby

Ashby's Fort
Ashby's Fort at Alaska, Frankfort Community [The old log fort owned and occupied as a dwelling by Thomas F. Pyles is now owned by the D.A.R.]
Source: The Northwestern Turnpike
Bulletin, Vol. 49-68 By West Virginia. Dept. of Agriculture

Built in 1755, Ashby's Fort was established by orders of Colonel George Washington.

It stood on the east bank of Patterson's Creek on the site of the present village of Alaska, formerly Frankfort, in Frankfort district, Mineral County.
Erected by Lieutenant John Hacon under orders from Colonel Washington, in 1755. December 21, 1773, Captain Charles Lewis of Fredericksburg assumed command at this fort in which he found a garrison of twenty-one men to whom Lieutenant Bacon, whom he had appointed adjutant, read the Articles of War. On the 11th of October, Colonel Washington received letters from Captain John Ashby regarding conditions there.

The next springMay 23, 1756Colonel Washington issued orders to Lieutenant Colonel Adam Stephen to have Fort Ashby fully supplied from Fort Cumberland, Maryland, distant twenty-five miles. In August, that year, Lieutenant Robert Rutherford, with a company of Rangers was defeated here by the French Indians. Soon after Captain John Ashby made a remarkable escape from the Indians, reaching the fort in safety. Sources.
[Source: "Biennial report of the Department of Archives and History of the State of West Virginia" WV, Dept. of Archives and History, Ohio Valley Historical Association, Virgil Anson Lewis, Henry S. Green, 1906
See De Hass' "History of the Early Settlements and Indian Wars of Western Virginia," p. 204; Kercheval's "History of the Valley," p. 126 (First Edition) ; Toner's Edition of "Washington's Journal over the Mountains, 17478" ; "Journal of Captain Charles Lewis," printed in "Collections of the Virginia Historical Society," Vol. XI, p. 216, (new series) ; "Dinwiddie Papers," Vol. II, p. 239 ; Sparks' "Writings of Washington," Vol. II, pp. 125, 163, 167.]

Fort Ashby sheltered settlers for many years under the command of Col. John Ashby. George Washington had his last connection with Fort Ashby in 1791, when, as President of the United States, he ordered troops there to take part in suppression of the "Whiskey Rebellion".

The town of Frankfort was named Fort Ashby in 1932.

The last owner of the fort was about to tear it down when the Potomac Valley Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution at Keyser bought it on July 28, 1927. They remain the current owners. The fort is open for special tours.

On Dec 12th, 1970, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.



Webster County - Stroud Massacre
Inscription of Commemorative Marker:
"Following 1768 Treaty of Fort Stanwix, Stroud family settled on Stroud's Creek near junction with Gauley River. In 1772, Mrs. Stroud and seven children were killed by Shawnee party. Accounts of subsequent attack by settlers on Delaware village at Bulltown unproven. This was last attack launched by Native Americans in Webster County. "

Location: Stroud's Creek Road, 1/4 mile from junction with WV 20, near Camden-On-Gauley

CAMDEN-ON-GAULEY, 49.3 m. (2,034 alt., 435 pop.), was first named Camden for U. S. Senator Johnson N. Camden; the phrase 'on-Gauley' was added to distinguish it from another town of that name in the State. A marker here commemorates the Stroud Massacre of June 1772. Adam Stroud, a German who had settled west of the town on the creek now bearing his name, returned from a hunting trip and found that his wife and family had been killed and scalped by a marauding band of Indians, believed now to have been Shawnee. In retaliation a party of settlers [Transcriber's Note: said to have been led by Jesse Hughes and John Cutright/Cartwright of Hacker's Creek] raided and exterminated a peaceable Delaware village at Bulltown on the Little Kanawha River about 30 miles north. [Source: "West Virginia: a Guide to the Mountain State" By Federal Writers' Project, 1948]



Jefferson County - Sheperdstown



Back to Genealogy Trails Main Site

Back to

			 the Main Index Page

Back to Genealogy Trails

Back to WV Genealogy Trails

©Genealogy Trails