Monongalia County, West Virginia
Biographies




William Franklin Anderson,
bishop;  born Morgantown, Va., April 22, 1860; son of William and Elizabeth (Coombs) Anderson; educated Ohio Wesleyan University, Drew Theological Seminary; graduated from former A.B. in 1884, and from latter B.D. 1887; post graduate work in philosophy, New York University, 1895 to 1898; received D.D. Wesleyan University of Conn. 1892; L.L.D. Ohio Wesleyan University and Upper Iowa University 1907; married Jennie Lulah Ketchum June 9, 1887; member Phi Beta Kappa college fraternity; ordained minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1887; pastor of Mott Ave. Church, N.Y., 1887-89; pastor Kingston, N.Y., 1890-94; Washington Square, N.Y., 1895-1898; Ossining, N.Y., 1899-1904; corresponding secretary board of education of M.E. Church 1904-1908; elected bishop 1908; member board of managers Missionary Society, 1897-1908; recording secretary board of education 1898-1904; editor of "The Christian Student" 1904-1908; author of "The Compulsion of Love" 1904; contributor to religious and similar periodicals, etc.; member of M.E. Church.  [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]

Gregg Jesse Ashton
Gregg Jesse Ashton, St Paul. Res 483 Ashland av, office 365 Sibley st. Merchant. Born Mar 29, 1853 at Morgantown W Va, son of Cephas and Mary (Newton) Gregg. Married May 16, 1882 to Ella Bradish. Educated in the public schools of Pittsburg Pa and Decorah Ia. Worked on farm 1866-70; in grocery trade at Decorah Ia 1870-72; with Nichols & Dean whole iron and heavy hardware St Paul 1872-88; member Nichols, Dean & Gregg same line 1888 to date; present v pres; dir St Paul Nat Bank. Member St Paul Commercial Club; pres 1897-98; pres Auto Club; Lafayette Club; Town and Country Club.  [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]

John M. Baker, LL. B.
Our subject is a son of D. M. and Mary E. (Johnson) Baker, who was born in Jackson County, West Virginia, November 22, 1872, and received his preliminary education in the public schools of his native county. Later, in 1892, he was a student in the State Normal School at Fairmont, West Virginia, and in 1895 and 1896 he took the course in law at the West Virginia University at Morgan- town and graduated there from with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. The year of his graduation he was admitted as a practitioner in the Circuit Court of his native county at Ripley, the county seat. Shortly thereafter he was admitted as an attorney in all the State and Federal Courts, his practice in the meanwhile grew rapidly until he has all the business he can attend to. He is an excellent trial lawyer and never fails to acquit himself creditably in the trial of his cases. He is a Republican in polities and has been active in promulgating the principles of his party, but not in the sense of an office-seeker. He is public spirited and shows an interest in the growth and development of his section of the State, and has been urged to accept official positions, but he prefers to devote his entire time to the practice of the law. The only office he has thus far held was Prosecuting Attorney of Jackson County, which he filled satisfactorily, industriously and ably for a four years' term, from 1905 to 1908, inclusive. For business reasons he moved his residence from Jackson to Roane County in 1909, where he now resides, and where his practice has materially increased and his field of labor has greatly widened. He has frequently presided as a Special Judge of the Circuit Court, and on one occasion he held the entire term in Calhoun County to the satisfaction of lawyers and suitors. This fact gave rise to general talk to induce him to become a candidate for Circuit Judge, which he has thus far declined to do. He is careful, clear-headed, systematic, vigilant and thorough in his work, and although he has made excellent headway in his profession there is still a broader field of usefulness and success before him. Mr. Baker married Miss Jessie N. Riley, of Jackson County, in 1899, and as a result of this union a sonClay Riley and a daughter Mary V. were born to them. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and is also a Knight of Pythias. He has devoted much time to the cause of education and has served efficiently on Boards of Education. He also gives a large amount of thought and attention to civic matters generally. In short he is nn enterprising, public-spirited, progressive citizen of the community where he resides.  [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Hon. John Bassel,
Mr. Bassel, who, in life, was one of the most eminent lawyers that the Virginias have produced, was born, reared and died in the County of Harrison, born June 9, 1840, and died in the City of Clarksburg, December 28, 1914. He was educated at Moore's Academy at Morgantown, Virginia, where he spent two years; later he entered Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated with honor; read law in the office of the late John J. Davis for one year; later he was a student in law in the Cincinnati College of Law, from which he graduated and was admitted to practice in the Courts of Harrison County, January 8, 1864. He was noted for his diligence, mental acuteness, and power of analysis; hence it was not long until he received recognition as an attorney, and his success was, therefore, early assured. He ranked among the able lawyers of his day, always conducting his cases with admirable effectiveness and superior judgment. He had a comprehensive and accurate knowledge of the law, and never failed to exalt his profession in which it was his ambition to excel, and lamented the tendency, in later years, to lower its ideals. He never failed to keep in mind the advice of Lord Coke, that, "He that knoweth not the reason of the law, knoweth not the law." At the trial of causes he was alert, adroit and untiring. In the argument of cases he reasoned well and convincingly. He was a dangerous opponent in debate, but was never spectacular nor offensive. He possessed a remarkably retentive memory and could cite cases with marvelous precision. He was always a student, and remembered what he read, and his mind was accordingly stored and enriched not only by a knowledge of the law itself, but by the history of events culled from the classics and from profane and sacred writers as well, which he often used with telling effect in his arguments before courts and juries. Mr. Bassel was twice married, first to Miss Martha Lewis, by whom he had six children, and second to Miss Mary Bean, who survived him and is still a resident of Clarksburg. She is a woman of marked ability, and was a valuable assistant to her husband in aiding him in the management of his large volume of business which was a burden to him in his declining years. Mr. Bassel was a Democrat, but devoted very little time and thought to politics. The first and only office, to which he was ever elected by the people, was a member of the State Convention that prepared the Constitution of the State in 1872, under which we are still living. In that body of distinguished men, he took high rank, because of his thorough knowledge of the law. He was for many years counsel for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, and gave to its affairs the most careful and assiduous attention. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, was domestic in his tastes and habits, enjoyed associations with his friends, and in his intercourse with members of the Bar, he was ever courteous, kind and considerate. He was president of the State Bar Association in 1901, and was a faithful attendant upon its annual meetings. The association was in session at Parkersburg the day of his demise, and twenty of its members, as a mark of respect, were appointed to attend his funeral. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Hon. William G. Brown,
The ancestry of this branch of the Brown family was Scotch. From Edinburgh, James Brown came to Virginia, in 1790, and located in Monongalia County. William G., his fourth son, was born September 25, 1800. He studied law with Oliver Phelps and J. H. Samuels, of Parkersburg, Virginia; was admitted to the Bar of Preston County, Virginia, in 1828; served as Prosecuting Attorney of Preston County for several terms, until 1832; supported Andrew Jackson for the Presidency every time he was a candidate; was a member of the Legislature of Virginia in 1832, 1840-1-2-3; was elected a member of Congress in 1845, and was re-elected in 1847; was a member of the Constitutional Convention of Virginia in 1850; was a delegate to the Richmond Convention of 1861, which adopted the Ordinance of Secession, but he voted against its adoption. He participated in the Wheeling Convention that organized "The Restored Government Virginia," and saved Western Virginia to the Union, and was elected to the 37th Congress as a Representative of the Restored Government of Virginia, and was the first Representative from the 2d Congressional District of West 'Virginia, after she was admitted to statehood. He was a member of the Convention of 1872 that framed the second Constitution for West Virginia. He was also elected to the Legislature of 1872-3. He was a man of the highest character, and always had the implicit confidence of all his fellow citizens. He was also known and recognized as one of the ablest and most successful lawyers of his period. Mr. Brown died at Kingwood at an advanced age, and left a widow and one son William G. Brown, Jr. who was also a very successful lawyer and a resident of Preston County all of his life. He was serving his third term in Congress, from his father's old district, when in 1916, death took him in his prime of strength, usefulness and success in life. Both of them were Democrats of the strictest sect, although the elder Brown, who was a staunch Union man, acted with the Republicans until after the close of the Civil War, when he returned to his first love the Democratic Party. "Junior " Brown, as he was always called, from his boyhood, adhered to the Democratic party. Both of them were men of wealth, as well as of influence and high standing in the State.  [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Judge Alpheus F. Haymond,
Judge Haymond, son of Col. Thomas S. and Harriet A. Haymond, was born on a farm near Fairmont, Marion County, Virginia, December 15, 1823. His early life was uneventful, but even in his youth he showed the vigor of thought and bold independence characteristic of subsequent years. Until the age of thirteen he attended school near his home, then went to Morgantown, Monongalia County Academy, where he remained two years, then to William and Mary College, Williamstown, Virginia, where he remained for a few terms. He read law with Edgar E. Wilson, of Morgantown, and was admitted to the Bar in 1842 when only nineteen years of age. He soon became recognized as an able lawyer, and had secured a paying practice before the Civil War. In early life he revealed a liking for politics. In 1853, and again in 1857, he was elected a member of the Legislature of Virginia from Marion County, and in 1861 he was a member of the Virginia Convention, and opposed Secession; but after the State seceded he entered the Confederate Army and remained therein until after the surrender of General Lee at Appomattox, when he returned to his home at Fairmont and resumed his law practice, which rapidly grew to large proportions. Being a strong lawyer he was appropriately chosen a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1872 to frame a new Constitution for the State of West Virginia, in which he figured conspicuously and ably. At the first election under that revised Constitution he was elected a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State; served ably thereon until 1876, when he was re-elected to the same position for the full term of twelve years. He was a just and able judge. He wrote many opinions, all of which reveal honesty of purpose and determination to deal out justice without fear or favor. He was most careful in the preparation of his opinions, because he knew that hasty, ill-considered decisions by Appellate Courts are unprofitable to the public, unreliable as precedents and authority for the legal profession or the citizen, and discreditable to the court that makes them. Consequently he labored zealously to get at the facts, merits and law of every case he passed upon, or was decided by any of his associates on the Appellate Bench during his membership of the Court. He was necessarily an untiring worker, so much so that he found his health giving way under the necessary strain of the daily grind, and he decided to abandon his work upon the bench; consequently he resigned the position January 1, 1883, which he had so ably filled for ten years, and retired to private life. Judge Haymond was a Democrat, a man of medium height, heavy build, face of a round contour, of agreeable and graceful manners, and of even temper. In his later years his practice was confined exclusively to the Supreme Court. He departed this life December 15, 1893, thus ending a distinguished and useful career.He was a married man and had an interesting family. One of his sons is now judge of the Circuit Court of Marion County, and is a lawyer of acknowledged ability, and a safe and reliable jurist. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]


James Clark McGrew
(1813-1910) - a Representative from West Virginia; born near Brandonville, Monongalia County, Va. (now West Virginia), September 14, 1813; attended the common schools; engaged in mercantile pursuits and banking; delegate to the Virginia secession convention in 1861 and voted against secession; mayor of Kingwood, Preston County, Va. (now West Virginia), 1863-1865; member of the West Virginia house of delegates 1863-1865; managing director of the West Virginia Insane Hospital for four years; elected as a Republican to the Forty-first and Forty-second Congresses (March 4, 1869-March 3, 1873); chairman, Committee on Mileage (Forty-second Congress); declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1872; again mayor of Kingwood in 1879 and 1880; resumed banking in Kingwood, W.Va., from 1886 until his death in Kingwood, W.Va., September 18, 1910; interment in Maplewood Cemetery.  [Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present -- Submitted by Anna Newell]

John Henry Robinson
John Henry Robinson; born, (Monongalia Co.) , W. Va., b. Jan. 15, 1877; son of John R. and Mary E,. (Sloan) Robinson; educated in schools of West Virginia; married, W. Virginia, Apr. 16, 1900, Kate B. Henshaw. Began active career in general store owned by his brother, at Burton, W. Va., continuing for three years; became connected with the Wheeling Corrugating Co., at general offices of the company, at WHeeling, W.Va., Jan. 1899, and has been manager with headquarters at Detroit since Jan. 1906. Also president Coco-Cola Bottling Works, Columbus, O. Republican. Baptist. Recreations: Baseball, fishing. Office: 1409 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 64 Willis Av., W.  (Source: The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908, Submitted by Christine Walters)

Dias A. Shriver
Among the typical representatives of the agricultural element of Oklahoma County, (Oklahoma) whose industry, energy and careful management in farming operations have enabled them to relinquish active labors while still in the prime of life and to enjoy in leisurely retirement the fruits of former toil, is Dias A. Shriver, who is now living at his comfortable home at No. 2949 West Tenth Street, Oklahoma City. During the twenty years in which Mr. Shriver has been a resident of this community, he has built up a reputation for substantial and public-spirited citizenship, and for honorable dealing in all affairs of life.

Born at Wadestown, Monongalia County, West Virginia, March 4, 1859, Mr. Shriver is a son of Bazle G. and Mary Ann (Wise) Shriver, natives of the same county, where the grandparents were also born and where the family has been known and honored for many years. His father was born January 15, 1827, and his mother January 7, 1833, and in 1864 they removed for the West, locating on a farm in Scotland County, Missouri, where Bazle G. Shriver continued to be engaged in farming operations during the remainder of his life. In that county, amid agricultural surroundings, Dias A. Shriver was reared to manhood, securing his education in the district schools. He adopted farming and stock-raising as a means of livelihood on attaining his majority, and continued to be thus employed there until 1895, when he disposed of his Missouri interests and moved to the newly-opened country of Oklahoma, settling with his family on a farm three miles west of the business section of Oklahoma City. Here he also farmed until 1905, when the young city spread out toward him in such a tempting manner that he had his farm surveyed into small tracts and town lots and sold all of it off with the exception of twenty acres, upon which he still resides, and which he has improved in a way that makes it one of the ideal places near the city, being equipped with all modern comforts and conveniences, including natural gas, water works and electric lights. After disposing of most of his own land adjoining Oklahoma City, Mr. Shriver became a buyer and seller of lands throughout the West, for a time handling large tracts in Texas and Oklahoma. He is one of five heirs to inherit rich coal and oil lands in West Virginia, from a brother of his late father, valued easily at $1,500, 000 to $2,000,000, but, naturally, it must pass through a tedious litigation before being distributed among the five beneficiaries. As a citizen, Mr. Shriver has always been active, a liberal contributor to the material advancement of the county and state and a conscientious and stirring booster for Oklahoma and the Southwest.
At Memphis, Missouri, Mr. Shriver was united in marriage, April 14, 1881, with Miss Martha Jane Baker, daughter of Franklin and Rosa (Sedoris) Baker, of Memphis, Missouri. Mrs. Shriver died December 9, 1911. To this marriage there were born four children, as follows: Hugh H., born February 10, 1882; Beulah, born May 23, 1884; Arthur, born August 11, 1887; and Eliza Vera, born February 13, 1899.  [Source: "A Standard History of Oklahoma", by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


Jacob Vaughn
Was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, December 20, 1814. His father, Thomas Vaughn, was born in the State of Pennsylvania, September 2, 1787, and died at his home in Jackson county, Ohio, March 7, 1871, aged 83 years, 6 months and 5 days. He volunteered as a private soldier in the war of 1812, under the command of General Harrison, and he was in the charge at Fort Meigs under the command of Colonel Dudley. He continued with the command until the British and Indians were reinforced, surrounding and overpowering Colonel Dudley, and capturing him and nearly all of his men. Mr. Vaughn was present when the great Indian chief, Tecumseh, was killed. After his return to his native State he married Rebecca Dunham, a native of the same State, and moved to Jackson county, Ohio, in 1822. He there bought the farm which he occupied the remainder of his life. He was one of the associate judges of Jackson county for about seventeen years, and filled various offices of trust for nearly forty years, always attending to their duties with promptness and accuracy. His wife died November 29, 1846. They were parents of ten children, seven boys and three girls, all, with one exception, Samuel, who died December 4, 1849, are now living. Judge Vaughn was a strong believer in the Christin religion, a good citizen, a kind neighbor, and a very affectionate father, and in his death the family and the community lost a true friend. Jacob Vaughn was married, in Jackson county, Ohio, February 19, 1839, to Julia A. Fowler, who is a native of Monongahela county, West Virginia, born March 24, 1820. She is mother of the following children: Thomas, born November 27, 1839, died September 26, 1863; Mary A. (Ratekin), February 3, 1843, resides in Richardson county, Nebraska; John F., February 23, 1846, resides in this county; James W., April 2, 1849, resides in this county; Margaret J. (Wilcox), August 17, 1852, resides in this county; Susan C. (Hanger), March 9, 1854, resides in this county; Sarah M. (Glassburn), September 5, 1857, resides in this county; Amanda C. (Kelly), November 29, 1859, resides in this county; Phebe J., July 14, 1862, resides at home; Cynthia A., October 1, 1863, resides at home. The parents of Mrs. Vaughn are Nehemiah and Mary (Thomson) Fowler, settlers of Gallia county in 1864. Mr. Vaughn had two sons in the late war. John F. enlisted in 1863, in the 79th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served to the close of the war. Thomas was a member of a militia regiment, and was called into service at the time of Morgan's raid into Ohio. Mr. Vaughn is a farmer residing in Raccoon township. His address is Tycoon postoffice, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: "History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c"; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882]

Hon. Waitman T. Willey, LL.D.
Mr. Willey, although for many years an able and successful lawyer, is best known as a public official and a statesman of prominence and worth. He was for many years, prior to his death, regarded by the public generally as one of the really great characters to whom West Virginians, without regard to political affiliations, pointed with pride. He was born on Buffalo Creek, Monongalia County, Virginia, October 18, 1811. He was reared on a farm until he reached the age of seventeen, when he entered Madison College, now Alleghany College, Meadville, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated, cum laude, in June, 1831. At college he was rated as a hard working student, but was noted most for his gifts of oratory. He was recognized not only as the towering orator of his class, but of the entire college as well. All through his long and useful life he ranked as one of the very greatest public speakers of both Virginias. This wonderful gift made him almost invincible as an advocate and court house trial lawyer. He read law for two years in the office of the distinguished Philip Doddridge, at Wellsburg, Brooke County, who was one of the greatest lawyers of his generation, and was admitted to the Bar of Monongalia County in September, 1833; he immediately opened a law office and began to practice. He was not long in getting his share, and more of the law business of the community. He was well known, not only as a well educated and eloquent man, but his standing among the people was that of one who was thoroughly upright, conscientious and reliable. From his boyhood up, there was not a blot upon his moral character, and his veracity was absolutely unimpeachable, and this sort of a reputation and character were continuously and constantly the same until the end of his great career. A lawyer of that sort, will never be required to hunt clients, or drum up supporters or followers among the people. The truth is, Mr. Willey was so often sought after by the people, to fill highly important public positions that he scarcely was allowed the necessary time to attend to his own private affairs.

In 1840, he was an elector on the Harrison and Tyler ticket, and was required to stump the entire Western part of the state for the Whig party. He was the Clerk of both the County and Circuit Courts of Law and Chancery of Monongalia County, from 1841 to 1852; was a member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1850-51; was the Whig candidate for Congress for his District in 1852; was the Whig candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia in 1859; he was a delegate to the National Convention in 1860 that nominated Bell and Everett for President and Vice-President; was a member of the Virginia Convention of 1861, and voted against the Ordinance of Secession; he ably aided in organizing the Restored Government of Virginia at the City of Wheeling; was elected United States Senator by said Restored Government; was a member of the Convention that framed the first Constitution of West Virginia; was elected one of the two United States Senators, and drew the short term of two years. At the expiration of said term, he was re-elected to the Senate for the full term of six years, which expired March 4. 1871. How could one practice law very extensively with all these public duties loaded upon him? And yet a good part of the time, he maintained a large practice. In 1834 Senator Willey married Miss Elizabeth Ray, of the City of Wheeling. He was an active and faithtful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; was always a leader on the moral side of every important question that came before the people during his entire life. Allegheny College and the West Virginia University each conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws. After his retirement from the Senate, he was Clerk of the Circuit Court of Monongalia County, which furnished him all the necessary comforts of life. He died at his home in Morgantown when he was nearly ninety years of age, and was mourned by all classes of the citizens of the city. He was six feet three and a-half inches tall, and was one of the most powerful athletes of his generation.  [Bench and bar of West Virginia edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Judge Samuel Woods, A.M., LL.D.
Hon. Samuel Woods, deceased, a former judge of the Supreme Court of West Virginia, was born in East Canada, September 19, 1822. When he was but a boy, his father moved to Meadville, Pennsylvania, where he learned the plasterer's trade. He, however, in the meantime became a student at Allegheny College, and by energy and perseverance, working at his trade during the summer seasons, and attending college the remainder of the years, when twenty years of age, he completed the required classical course, and received the diploma of Bachelor of Arts. He studied law with Fox Alden, an able attorney of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and in the meantime he was one of the teachers in the well-known academy at Morgantown, Virginia. After his admission to the Bar, he located at Philippi, Barbour County, Virginia, where he spent the remainder of his life, having attained the standing of one of the greatest lawyers of the State.


Judge Woods was large in brain and stature. He was a little more than six feet tall, weighed over two hundred pounds, was round-faced and handsome, and was commanding in appearance. He was as well rounded morally as physically. He possessed strong religious convictions, and his personal character was as spotless as a maiden's, and as unsullied as a ray of light. At every period in his long and useful career, he was always found on the moral side of every question that came before him. He never apologized for his faith, but always showed his faith by his works. By his superior mental training, fidelity to his clients, and his highly honorable methods, he achieved success in the practice of his profession. Being a natural orator, he was almost irresistible as an advocate in a court trial. He made the most careful preparation of his cases, and was so well grounded in the law and so eloquent and convincing as a speaker that he seldom, if ever, lost a deserving case. He was free from the use of spirits and narcotics that often dwarf the body, deaden the intellect and poison the soul of brilliant men. He was also a man of fine literary tastes and habits, and was devoted to his family and to his home. In 1844 he married at Meadville, Pennsylvania, Miss Isabclle Neeson, and has reared an interesting family, three sons being successful lawyers, two of whom reside in Philippi, Barbour County, the place of their birth, the elder of the three being deceased.

He was a member of the Virginia Convention that passed the Ordinance of Secession, and when the Civil War came on he went with the South, was a member of the celebrated "Stonewall Brigade," and there remained until the close of hostilities, when he returned to his Philippi home and resumed his law practice. He was a Democrat in his political convictions, and in 1871 he was elected a member of the State Convention that produced the State Constitution of 1872, which is still the organic law of West Virginia. In 1883 he was appointed a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of the late Judge A. F. Haymond, and in 1884 he was elected by the people to that important position. At the expiration of his term of service in 1888 he retired from public life to manage his large private interests. In that year Allegheny College conferred upon him its highest honorary degree, that of Doctor of Laws, an honor most worthily bestowed.
Judge Woods was an ajdent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a leader in its councils. He was one of the founders of West Virginia Weslyan College at Buckhannon, and was president of its Board of Trustees from the origin of the same until the time of his death. He was also a prominent member of the Masonic Fraternity. He died suddenly at his Philippi home February 17, 1897. Thus passed from the throng of the living one of our States ablest lawyers, a learned and conscientious jurist, an honest, upright citizen, and above all a faithful Christian gentleman.  [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]




Copyright © Genealogy Trails