Pendleton County, West Virginia
 Biographies



George Alexander Blakemore

Hon. George A. Blakemore was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, in 1837. He was taken to Augusta county in 1842, and in 1850 to Staunton, where, in 1852, he became a clerk in a store, but in the fall of the same year removed to Romney, where he learned printing under Major Harper, publisher of the South Branch Intelligencer, the leading Whig paper in that valley. In the fall of 1855 he entered the Academy of Mossy Creek, then the prominent institution of learning near Staunton, afterwards destroyed by the Federal army. He entered the law office of the late Colonel John B. Baldwin, of Staunton, as a student, and in 1860 was admitted to the Bar. He entered the Confederate army early in the strife, serving as a private soldier; and at the close of the struggle located at Franklin, Pendleton county, where he now resides, engaged in his profession. He was elected to the State Senate and served from 1872 to 1875, and in the House of Delegates from 1875 to 1877; was re-elected in 1884 and again in 1888. Few men are better qualified for the duties of legislation than this accomplished gentleman; and no party has a more devoted supporter. In the present House of Delegates he is on the Committees of Elections and Privileges, and the Judiciary. ["Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, the Growth and Advancement of the State, a Compendium of Returns of Every State Officer" by George Wesley Atkinson and Alvaro Franklin Gibbens, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Wilbur F. Dyer
Wilbur F. Dyer was born on the Upper Tract, in Pendleton county, West Virginia (then Virginia) on the 22d day of September, 1852; lived on a farm and attended such schools as the neighborhood afforded until January 1868, when, at the age of 15 years, he became a teacher in the public schools; attended Roanoke College at Salem, Virginia, during the years '68 and '69; taught a select school in Franklin, West Virginia, in '70 and'71, and began the study of law on the 16th of September, 1871, in the office of the late Judge J. W. Allen, of Moorefield, W. Va; was admitted to the bar about the first of August, 1872, and removed to Petersburg, W. Va., where he has since resided. He has since been in active practice as a lawyer in Grant and adjoining counties. Was an alternate delegate from the Third Congressional District, composed of Grant and Hardy counties, in the Legislature of 1885. In October, 1885, through the efforts of Senators Camden and Kenna and other prominent Democrats, Secretary Bayard tendered him the Consulship to Odessa, Russia, which, after consultation with friends, he declined, and was recently selected as an alternate delegate from his Congressional District to the Democratic National Convention, to be held in Sa. Louis on June 5, 1888, and, like all other Democrats in his section of the State, he is heart and soul for the renomination of Grover Cleveland.
[Source: "Wheeling Register" (Wheeling WV) Saturday June 21, 1888; Transcribed; by Richard Ramos.]

Hon. William H. H. Flick
Mr. Flick is a native of the Western Reserve of Ohio, where he was born in 1841. He was educated in the public schools and at Hiram College, near Cleveland. In July, 1861, he volunteered as a private soldier in the Federal Army and was dangerously wounded in the left shoulder at the battle of Shiloh, Mississippi, but continued in the service until the fall of 1862, when he was honorably discharged on account of said wound. He returned to his home and taught school for three years. Having read law in the meantime, he was licensed to practice in September, 1865. In March, 1866, he moved to West Virginia, and began to practice law at Moorefield, the seat of justice of Hardy County, and in March, 1867, he changed his residence to Franklin, Pendleton County. He had a strong legal mind, was an able public speaker, and soon became recognized as a forceful and successful lawyer. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Pendleton County in 1867, also of the adjoining county of Grant in 1872, and he was re-elected to the same office in Pendleton County in 1873-4. In 1874 he resigned the office of Prosecuting Attorney and located at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, where he spent the remainder of his life.
In the fall of 1868 he entered the State Legislature from Pendleton and Grant Counties, and was re-elected in 1869. He took an active part in legislation. He was the author of what was known as "The Flick Amendment" to the State Constitution, which removed all restrictions from all persons who had engaged in the Rebellion of 1861-5, which gave him a statewide reputation. In 1881 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Berkeley County, which he resigned in 1882 to accept the higher position of United States District Attorney for West Virginia. By this time he had become an unusually able lawyer, and one of the strongest and most successful prosecutors in the Commonwealth. We put it mildly when we state that he had but few equals, anywhere, as a trial lawyer. He was a very large man, and when he became aroused his reserve force was practically irresistible, because he apparently would break down all opposition and often sweeps things before him. In 1876 he was the Republican candidate for a seat on the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State, but was defeated along with his entire party ticket. ["Bench and bar of West Virginia" edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 Transcribed by AFOFG]

William H. H. Flick
An Ohioan by birth, a West Virginian by adoption, now in the prime of life, (47 years old), Wm. H. H. Flick, stands out among the really prominent men of the new Commonwealth. He was reared on a farm in northern Ohio, and in July, 1861, although a mere boy in age and size, he enlisted in the 41st regiment of Ohio Volunteers. In the great battle of Shiloh, he was dangerously wounded in the shoulder, his left arm still being disabled therefrom. He continued in the recruiting service of the Government until the fall of 1862, when he was honorably discharged because of disability resulting from the wound in his shoulder.
After returning to his Ohio home, he attended Hiram College, (President Garfield's school), for some time, and then engaged in teaching, which he kept up until the spring of 1865. Having studied law in the meantime, he was regularly licensed to practice, in September, 1865. In March, 1866, he took up his residence in Moorefield, Hardy county, West Virginia; and in March, 1867, he removed to Franklin, in Pendleton county. In the fall of 1868 he was elected to the House of Delegates of his adopted State, and was re-elected to the same office in 1869. It was during his latter term in the Legislature that he presented an amendment to the State Constitution abolishing "test oaths," which rendered him at one time the best known man in the State. This noted law was known as "The Flick Amendment," and will be found, together with the popular vote thereon, in the Statistical chapters in the front part of this book.
Mr. Flick was elected prosecuting attorney of Pendleton county in 1869, of Grant county in 1872, and again of Pendleton county in 1873-4. During the latter year he resigned the office of Prosecutor, and removed to Martinsburg, Berkeley county, where he now resides. In 1871 he was chosen prosecuting attorney for that county, which office he resigned in August, 1882, to accept the position of United States District Attorney for West Virginia, to which he had been appointed by President Arthur. In 1876 he was the Republican candidate for Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia; and in 1886, and again in 1888, he was his party's candidate for a seat in the Congress of the United States. For all three of these exalted positions he was defeated; but it is a fact of history that he polled the largest vote of any other candidate of his party in all three of these elections.
Mr. Flick is known as a man of unflinching loyalty to truth, principle and right. He is consciencious and generous to a fault. No man in West Virginia possesses greater popularity. As a lawyer, he stands at the top of his profession in the State. In the trial of a cause, he is a dangerous competitor, because he possesses a reserve force that is practicably irresistible. In every official position to which he has been chosen, he has discharged the duties of the same faithfully, honestly, ably.["Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, the Growth and Advancement of the State, a Compendium of Returns of Every State Officer" by George Wesley Atkinson and Alvaro Franklin Gibbens, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Robert Skiles Gardner
The necessities of war brought into service some of the best business talent and integrity in the Union. When vast forces were to be moved, or supplied with food or clothed, it required rare ability to accomplish it promptly and with the least friction. To many the face fronting this sketch will be familiar as of the U. S. Quarter-Master's Department. R. S. Gardner was born in Bellfontaine, Ohio, January 18, 1839. His father, Isaac S., was a native of Pendleton county, and his Grandfather, Andrew, of Front Royal, Virginia. His education was in common schools, Geneva Hall and Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware. He graduated at Cincinnati Law school, April, 1860. June 6, 1861, he joined the Twenty-third Ohio Regiment, was promoted to Quarter-Master Sergeant, then Regimental Quarter-Master, then Captain and Assistant Quarter Master of Volunteers on Pope's staff; Depot Quarter-Master at Clarksburg from January, '63, to February, '64, and at Harper's Ferry from March to November, '64; then Assistant Chief Quarter-Master Depot of West Virginia, with rank of Major, to June, 1865; Depot Quarter-Master at Wheeling to March 12, 1868, when he was mustered outof service. Major Gardner was also in mercantile business at Clarksburg to April, 1879, when he was made Special Agent in the United States Indian Service April 19th, 1879, to June 30, 1880, then Indian Inspector, and served to June 30, 1888, and reappointed Special United States Indian Agent March 16, 1889. He crossed the Continent thirteen times, and inspected and visited every agency of Indians from two to six times. He possesses superior business qualifications, and in all public stations rendered faithful and efficient service.
["Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, the Growth and Advancement of the State, a Compendium of Returns of Every State Officer" by George Wesley Atkinson and Alvaro Franklin Gibbens, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

John William Harman
John William, son of David H. and Cynthia Jane (Hedrick) Harman, was born in Pendleton county, West Virginia, on April 1, 1869. He was educated primarily in the schools of Pendleton, later attended Shenandoah Institute, Dayton, Virginia, and received his degree of LL.B. at West Virginia University in 1892, having taught school in order to complete his education. He was immediately admitted to the bar in June, 1892, and began the practice of his profession at Petersburg, Grant county, West Virginia. He remained in that place for four years, from 1893 until 1897, removing to Harman, Randolph county, where he continued his profession, finally locating at Parsons, Tucker county, in 1901, where he has established a general practice of the law. He has become a prominent man in this region, owing his success almost entirely to his own individual efforts, having fought single-handed against heavy odds in his early career and overcome obstacles which would have discouraged one less courageous. He is a member of the State Bar Association, and member and president of the Tucker County Bar Association. He organized the First National Bank of Parsons, and served as its first president. He takes an interest in politics, having been Republican nominee for presidential elector at large in 1912 and delegate to state and other conventions. Four months after his first arrival in Parsons he was elected, by a city council of opposite political complexion, to be the mayor of Parsons, succeeding O. W. Minear, who resigned. Mr. Harman is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, also of the Modern Woodmen of America.
As a lawyer he is esteemed one of the leading members of the bar, and has well preserved and advanced the reputation of his family. A half-brother of Mr. Harman, D. Milton Harman, is interested in journalism; after having spent his youth on his father's farm, educating himself under difficulties, and teaching school in Dry Fork district for a while. Indeed, the family are famous as educators, not only on the paternal side, but on the maternal side also, the Hedrick family including a number of well-known educators in this part of the state. Many of Mr. Harman's relatives on the father's side are farmers, stock dealers, and merchants in this and the adjoining counties. Martin Cecil is a lawyer, having studied at the University of West Virginia; Jesse Harman, farmer and stockman on a large scale in Randolph county, was township treasurer after the war; Joseph Harman, for twenty-five years postmaster at Mouth of Seneca, was in the lumber business in Tucker county and owned a hotel in Harman; Reverend Asa Harman was a minister in the German Baptist church, living for over fifty years in Randolph county, where he owned many acres and was the most prominent minister in those parts.
Mr. Harman has been married twice, his first marriage was in 1895 at Petersburg, Grant county, to Minnie S. Mouse, daughter of Daniel Mouse, a descendant of one of the old pioneer families and a wellknown farmer and stockman; she died in 1896, in the first year of her marriage, leaving an infant, Vera, who died at the age of five months. In 1898 Mr. Harman married Myrtle Lilian Miley, daughter of Abram Miley, of Edinburg, Virginia, ex-sheriff of Shenandoah county, that state. Mr. and Mrs. Harman have had six children: Twin girls, who died; and William M., Justin Miley, Emily Marie, and Maurice A.
["West Virginia and its people", Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell, 1913 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Heavner Family
This family has had a residence at one point or an other in America since some years before the revolutionary struggle for national independence. It is sometimes spelled "Havenor," but it is always the same original family. From legal papers, such as wills, naturalization papers, now in possession of Major Jacob W. Heavner, it appears that the first to come from Germany to this country was Nicholas Havener, with whom this genealogical narrative will commence.
(I) Nicholas Havener, with his wife, two sons, Jacob and Frederick, and two daughters, Catreen and one whose name is not given, emigrated from Germany to America, sometime prior to May 20, 1755, which is the date on which he made his first purchase of land, two tracts, each containing three hundred acres, lying on the "Southernmost Branch of South Branch of the Potomac river," for which he in hand paid one hundred and seven pounds and ten shillings.
The naturalization papers of this Nicholas Havener are still firmly attached to the seal of "Our Soverign Lord, King George the Third." The date of this instrument, May 18, 1761, bears also the signature of Fran Farqueir, "His Majesty's Lieutenant Governor and commander-in-chief of the Col. and Dominion of Virginia." It is somewhat difficult to determine the correct spelling of the name of this family, for even in the third generation the family seems to have written almost exclusively in German; however, on the first indentures and naturalization papers we find it recorded "Havener." From the will of Nicholas, written in 1769, fourteen years after his arrival in America, a good estimate of his character may be had. He was a God-fearing man, also a man of much wealth, devoted to the welfare of his family, which is conspicuous in his careful, specific and generous provisions for the comfort of his "Beloved wife," whom he appoints administratrix of his estate, in conjunction with his eldest son, Jacob. He had several children, among whom was Jacob.
(II) Jacob Havener, eldest child of Nicholas Havener, married Mary Mallow, and it is presumed she died soon after December 4, 1804, as that is the last date on which her name appears attached to a deed of gift of land made with her husband to their eldest son Nicholas, which was for one of the three hundred acre tracts purchased by his grandfather, in 1755. They had eight children: Nicholas, Adam, Henry Michael, Samuel Peter, Margaret, Mary, Jacob, John.
(III) Nicholas (2) Havener, son of Jacob Havener, after the settlement of his father's estate in Pendleton county, Virginia, came to what is known now as Upshur county, West Virginia, in 1815, and purchased of George Jackson four hundred acres of land on Buckhannon river, lying partly in Harrison and partly in Randolph counties, including the former site of "Bush Fort," near which the residence was erected. He married Mary Propps. They reared a large family of daughters and two sons, Elias and Jacob. The father died August 3, 1843; his wife died May 19, 1843.
(IV) Elias Heavner, eldest son of Nicholas (2) Havener, was born April 9, 1805, died October 10, 1884. He was an unobtrusive, generous man, of great simplicity of spirit and Christian goodness. He married, October 4, 1829, Elizabeth Hyre, born February 14, 1809, died August 2, 1902. Early in life both he and his wife united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which for many years he was a class leader and a trustee. They were both noted for their hospitality, and it was in their home the weary, way-worn itinerant ministers of the early days were always sure of finding a cordial welcome and a comfortable resting place. This truly worthy couple were blessed with one daughter, Catherine, who married Daniel J. Carper, and seven sons, five of whom died upon reaching manhood, and the other two were: Major Jacob W. and Clark W., of whom further.
(V) Major Jacob W. Heavner, son of Elias and Elizabeth (Hyre) Heavner, was born January 27, 1841. Twenty years later1861 came the bugle call "to arms" for the civil war, and this aroused his loyal sentiment. After he recovered from a long illness from typhoid fever, he offered his services to the government and was commissioned a second lieutenant. On the eve of his departure with his men for the front, General Jenkins, that omnipresent commander, who was always where he was least expected and least desired, came with his brave "Riders" sweeping down on the government stores in Buckhannon, West Virginia. Alas, for the lieutenant and his men, some were killed and some wounded, while the lieutenant and others were left on parole. Before an exchange could be affected, Heavner and his brother, Clark W., in passing along the highway were "Bushwhacked," and both very dangerously wounded, the latter so seriously as to prevent his further service in the army. The gallant lieutenant was more fortunate, for when partly recovered the exchange of prisoners came. Then he was again ready for service and was commissioned lieutenant in Company M, Third West Virginia Cavalry. May 23, 1865, he was promoted to captain in his company, and for special gallantry, brevetted major. The Third Cavalry, as many recall, was with Hunter in the famous Lynchburg raid, and with Custer and Sheridan in the "Valley."
In 1869 Judge Irving appointed Major Heavner sheriff of Upshur County to fill an unexpired term, occasioned by the death of Thaddeus S. Heavner. Twice afterwards he was elected sheriff of his county; in 1884 he was delegate to the National convention; in 1888 an alternate for the state-at-large to the National convention; again in 1892 on the electoral ticket; in 1900 an alternate for the third congressional district of West Virginia. In 1900 he was member-at-large and president of the board of equalization in the state of West Virginia; in 1904 led the electoral ticket in West Virginia; has served as vice-president of one and director of two banks in Buckhannon. He has also served as director in two railroad companies. For years he has been a successful real estate man and materially aided Buckhannon in all of her many enterprises in developing her resources and industries.
He married Lee A. E., daughter of Rev. John W. Reger, D. D. They have one child: Reta B. B., married Frank P. Maxwell, and they have one child, Virginia Lee.
(V) Clark W., son of Elias and Elizabeth (Hyre) Heavner, was born September 7, 1844. He is one of the leading men of Buckhannon; was one of the organizers and upbuilders of the People's Bank, of which he has been cashier ever since its organization. He married, December 17, 1873, Clara DuMont, born April 28, 1858, daughter of Captain Sylvester B. Phillips (see Phillips IX). Clark W. Heavner and wife had one child, Ralph Webster, born 1874, died 1898, a student at the West Virginia University at the date of his death. [Source: "GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL OF THE Upper Monongahela Valley, WV", Vol. III; By James Morton Callahan; Edited by Bernard L. Butcher; Publ. 1912; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Adam H. Judy
Adam H. Judy, of Gunnison county, (CO) who owns and manages a fine ranch of four hundred and forty acres on Ohio creek, thirteen miles north of the county seat, is a native of Pendleton county, West Virginia, born on September 15, 1853, and the son of Martin and Christina (Harper) Judy, who were also born in that state. Living in the portion of old Virginia that remained loyal to the Union during the Civil war, and as a reward for its loyalty was raised to the dignity and consequence of separate statehood, and not far from its eastern boundary, he witnessed in his boyhood all the horrors and bitterness of civil strife at close quarters, wherein families were divided and homes rent asunder, and shared as well the disadvantages in the way of lack of early education and commercial and industrial opportunities incident to such a condition. His parents were reared and married in that county and there the father passed his life, dying on the old homestead, which is now the home of the mother, in January, 1885. He sympathized with the North in the contest between the sections, but notwithstanding this he was drafted into the Confederate army and served two years under its banners. Then he procured a substitute, and during the remainder of the war was a scout for the Federal forces although not regularly enlisted in the army. Thirteen children were born in the household, ten of whom are living, Adam being the first born. He grew to manhood on the farm and attended when he could the district schools in the neighborhood, which was not often owing to the disturbed condition and consequent depression of the section. At the age of twenty-one he started a store at Circleville, in his native state, and also dealt in live stock, buying and selling horses and cattle on a scale that was extensive for that part of the country. After seven years of successful operations in these lines at that place he sold out there and in the spring of 1883 came to Colorado, soon afterward taking up one hundred and sixty acres of land on Mill creek, about six miles above where he now lives, and which is still known as the Judy Park. He later abandoned his claim and returned to Virginia, where during the next three years he kept a store at Union Mills, Fluvanna county, Virginia. But the Western fever was still strong in his system and could not be eliminated. So he returned to Gunnison county in this state in 1887, and for a number of years thereafter made it his summer home and passed the winters in southern Kansas, southwestern Missouri and Indian Territory. He has been a permanent resident of the Ohio creek country since 1890. Purchasing his present ranch in 1897, he has since then made that his home, having previously owned and occupied the ranch now belonging to and the home of John C. Harris. His principal crop on his ranch is hay, and he also raises stock, chiefly cattle, in large numbers. On November 22, 1874, he was married to Miss Ruhanna Phares, of West Virginia. She died in that state, leaving four children, Charles P., Sallie T., John M. and Annie. On December 5, 1889, Mr. Judy married a second wife, Miss Nettie Nelson, also a native of West Virginia, but reared in Kansas. They have had eight children, three of whom are living, Robert B., Lillie S. and Alvin C. Those who have died are Bessie and Jessie, twins, and three who passed away in infancy, named Earl and Pearl, twins, and Martha, a twin to Robert B. Politically Mr. Judy is a Democrat and fraternally a United Workman, belonging to the lodge of the order at Gunnison. (Source: "Progressive Men of Western Colorado", Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

Ephraim Wimer
Was born in Pendleton county, West Virginia, in 1834, and died in Crabbottom February 26,1910. He received his education in the "old field" schools of his day. The early years of his young manhood he spent in teaching and working at the carpenter trade. When the civil war began he enlisted in the volunteer forces at Hightown, Highland county, Virginia and served until the close of the conflict. Soon after enlisting he was made second lieutenant of Company I, 62 regiment of Virginia, and held that position until the battle of Williamsport, in which Lieutenant Calhoun was killed. Lieutenant Wimer was then promoted to first lieutenant, serving in this capacity until the close of the war. He was a brave and fearless soldier, loved and, respected by his comrades in arms. he was twice dangerously wounded, first at New Market and again at Fisher's Hill, where he was left over night on the battle field, supposed to be dead. He was picked up, however, the next day by the Federals and taken to the officer's hospital in Baltimore, where he finally recovered. As soon as he was able he returned home and engaged as clerk in the store of George Fraley, at Crabbottom Mills. This position he held until 1868, when he bought the business owned by Mr. Fraley and launched upon the long and successful business career in which he was engaged at the time of his death.
In 1868 he married Ellen Harold. To them were born six children, four sons and two daughters, one of whom died in infancy. Messrs, A. Lee, Kemp, Emory, Frank C., and the widow survive. Mr. Wimer was converted at a camp meeting held on the old camp ground in Crabbottom, in 1880, and at once joined the M. E. Church South, taking an active part in all church work, being especially interested in the Sunday School, in which he held the position of teacher of the Bible class for a number of years. Later he connected himself with the Brethern Church. At the time of his death he held the position of Bible teacher in Mt. Zion Sunday-school, United Brethern Church, in which work he took the greatest interest and keenest delight. Mr. Wimer was a devout Christian, and earnest and consistent member of the church, a constant student of the Bible, and a man full of faith and hope. He was an interesting conversationalist, a man-of positive opinions, and whose every act was what he believed to be right. He endeavored to make principle the chart and compass of his life. A good man has gone to his reward. A. Friend. Source: Highland Recorder (Monterey, Virginia) Friday, March 18,1910  Transcribed by: D. Oberst


HOME

Copyright © Genealogy Trails